Thread: The Return of the Koreaboo: A Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game

1. Bookmark ISO #1
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Personality Cafe

The Return of the Koreaboo: A Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game

The Return of the Koreaboo

Hosts: @the-middle-of-the-line and @Secondhand Revenant, with the assistance of @Mafia Host

Role set: Open, Mountainous 15er

3 mafia goons and 12 vanilla town (2017 champs setup)

Start date: Saturday, October 21, 2017, @ 12 AM EST

Players: 15 mentors and 15 mentees (15 2-person hydras)

Silent hydras are in effect. Mentors will not post in the game thread, but instead will post in provided private threads with their mentees. Mentees must post in both the game thread and the provided private threads with their mentors.

Phase lengths: 48/24

Phase timings: 12 AM EST/12 AM EST

Mechanics: Deadline lynch. In case of a tie, the lynch will be randomized. No lynch is allowed.
    Votes are locked in LYLO, which will be announced at the start of day.

Nightkills: Deadline for the mafia team nightkill is 11:00 PM EST, exactly one hour before the start of day.

Daily posting requirement:
    Mentees (players)
    Minimum 10 posts per in-game day in the game thread
    Minimum 1 post per in-game day in provided private thread with mentor.

Mentors
    Minimum 5 posts per in-game day in provided private thread with mentee.

***failing to meet post requirements results in either a replacement or a modkill. You have been warned.

Out of Thread Communication: Not allowed, except in private threads for mentors/mentees, and the mafia chat. All private threads are open 24/7.

Night Chat: The game thread will not be open at night. If it is, for some strange reason or ModBot fluke, do not post in it.

Let's get this out of the way so there will be no confusion later on.

1. Mentors cannot give reads to their mentees, unless it is absolutely necessary for the mentees' growth and improvement. Do not mention your personal read on another mentee (even if you do not know who might be playing, don't guess!)/player if it is clear that your mentee is dependent upon your reads to play the game.

2. You may, however, evaluate the reads process of your mentee. If you think the way your mentee arrived at a read is flawed (not that you think the read itself is wrong), you may discuss better ways of making reads and give constructive criticism on the process.

No mentors allowed.

1. @Aquilla
    2. @Dp101
    3. @Tangerine
    4. @Tsaiah
    5. @Wintermute
    6. @Arapocalypse
    7. @Virtuoso
    8. @Jeanne11
    9. @Inawordyes
    10. @Vine
    11. @Sally
    12. @atomicpianowitch
    13. @Fvr_Vain
    14. @Maki Harukawa
    15. @Lux

Backup Dancers
    1. @sheepsaysmeep

Retired Idols' Bonehouse [Spoiler-Free Graveyard, please PM either Lenny or SR to be added]

Hi the-middle-of-the-line and Secondhand Revenant!

You are The Moderators, a Vanilla Townie.

[image here]

Abilities: Your vote and your intellect are your only abilities, despite your prodigious talent. We'll reveal your full bio when you retire, cuz reasons.

Wincon:
    Eliminate all mafia.

You will find the game thread here:
    http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...ent-Hydra-Game

Your mentor/mentee private thread is here:
    [link]
    *If you wish to communicate via another medium, such as Discord, please add me and SR to the Discord chat.
    Last edited by the-middle-of-the-line; October 20th, 2017 at 09:45 PM.

2. Bookmark ISO #2
    Timezone
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    Instructions to fit in, have everybody like you, and always be happy:
    • Only post/talk about the game in this thread. Don't PM other players, unless you are mafia and wish to talk with your teammates. Also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • Don't try to use the form of your role PM. So a screenshot of your role PM would be cheating.
    • This is a game of lying. Players are expected to lie. No statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. As an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • If we believe you to bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill.
    • If you have any questions about rules, send a PM to your host. Avoid asking questions to the host in the thread.
    • Don't ever refer to private communications with the Game Host.
    • If you should ever require a replacement, PM @the-middle-of-the-line and @Secondhand Revenant and stop posting in the thread.
    • No multi-accounting is allowed. Do not share your account with anyone else. Do not, for example, give your mentor your password and have them post for you.
    • Treat your fellow players with respect. Hostility will not be tolerated.

Refer to this post for the complete, standard ruleset for mafia games.

I will repeat this particular rule once more in big letters to make sure you understand:

DO NOT EVER REFERENCE THIS GAME OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME THREAD. I.E. YOU SHOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME WHATSOEVER ON YOUR HOME SITE. IF PEOPLE ASK YOU QUESTIONS, TELL THEM YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE GAME AND LINK THEM TO THIS THREAD.
    Last edited by the-middle-of-the-line; October 20th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.

3. Bookmark ISO #3
    Timezone
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    Episode 1, part 1: Thingyman Returns from Australia

Our favorite koreaboo languidly stretched in his first-class airplane seat that was practically a lounge chair, and took a sip of a free Sex on the Beach fruity cocktail. Mm. Delicious.

Thingyman closed his eyes as he recalled the beautiful turquoise blue of the Great Barrier Reef, and the heat of the pleasantly scorching Australian summer that accompanied it. His skin was a delightful shade of lobster red, a souvenir from his annual trip that he always delighted in. Though the burn perhaps wasn't the best sensation in the world, putting aloe and calamine on his itchy, painful skin always made him go into a state of euphoria.

Perhaps that was gap moe, he mused. Wait, wrong culture. That would make him a weeaboo, not a koreaboo. Scratch that.

Perhaps that was je ne sais quoi, he tried again. This time, he had no idea what he was saying, but he was completely fine with it.

"Just a few more hours until I land in Seoul," Thingyman murmured, growing excited at the thought. He'd landed a gig working as a starting idol in the capital city of Korea, where all of his favorite idols and stars were. Maybe he'd get to meet some of his role models!

Maybe he'd even get to find love!

With a gentle smile resting on his lips, the up-and-coming young idol drifted off into dreamland.

Thingyman found himself in a land filled with cotton candy the color of calamine lotion, and in the sky of this dream world, clouds of shapes he'd seen in the Great Barrier Reef floated on by.

He heard a loud whinny, and when he turned around abruptly, he saw a silvery-white unicorn, who immediately began to sing. Then the unicorn turned into...

"...Luna?"

It was indeed the beautiful Luna from F(x), replesdent in a white shift dress, flowers crowning her long, tousled locks. What was she doing here?

Luna opened her mouth.

"We are now touching down in the Incheon International Airport. Welcome to Seoul!"

"What?" Thingyman managed to get out before...

He shuddered awake. That was such a nice dream, and it had to get ruined by the waking world. Thingyman was slightly salty. He'd never seen Luna that close before.

Well, maybe he'd get to meet her when he became a famous idol...

Armed with these dreams and similar fancies, Thingyman unbuckled his seatbelt, grabbed his suitcase and carry-on, and disembarked to start a new life and new career.
    Last edited by the-middle-of-the-line; October 23rd, 2017 at 01:00 AM.

4. Bookmark ISO #4
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    « Day 1: Maki Harukawa subbed in for ScarletMask »
    Player Substitution in The Return of the Koreaboo: a Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game

Maki Harukawa has subbed in for ScarletMask.

5. Bookmark ISO #5
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    The Return of the Koreaboo: a Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game Day 1 Start

Day 1 has begun.

Day 1 ends at 12:00 AM EDT on Monday, October 23rd, 2017. There are 1508731260000 remaining.

6. Bookmark ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    FR

7. Bookmark ISO #7
    Timezone
    Community
    FR

8. Bookmark ISO #8
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    It's been a long wait to take part in the most entertaining wildcard game of 2017

I am going to pretend to use these behavioral cues as a baseline for judging whether someone is Town or Scum whilst in secret just basing creating reads via who can shout loudest and longest combined with which of us can do the most long, difficult to read ISOs and some kind of survival of the fittest thing I don't have the full details prepared, but I'm sure it'll work:

Town tells:

1. Claiming Mafia Goon - Mafia will be claiming to be townies. therefore the sole people claiming to be Mafia Goons are members of the town
    2. Reading memes for tone - Nothing proves towniness more than going over every post a person makes with a fine toothcomb. Teach people jokes and memes are not safe from being used as evidence
    3. Using Disney songs - Over the past 12 months, of the 163 times Disney songs have been brought up it's been done a staggering 91.4% of the time from townies. Now pedants argue that I account for 149 of those occasions (though the real point of interest I think is how big a fan of the Tarzan soundtrack faZ was) but I think it still has strong predictive power
    4. Writing a wall and then making Shrek-xico check it
    5. Making town blocs - This is a friendly game and getting a group of super friends together is without doubt the epitome of towniness

Mafia tells:

1. Making posts which are completely referential to previous games - Focus on the current game, don't get sidetracked creating content best suited for old games which most people won't have read
    2. Buddying - we all know the lone reason to town read someone is to get the guaranteed town read that person will be bound to reciprocate. I cannot emphasise this enough, all the time someone town reads someone provokes an immediate responsive town read, and so to town read someone in the first place is just pocketing from Mafia, indeed it is the only logical assumption
    3. Bussing without exception - there is forever someone bussing. Ab Aeterno. As soon as a wolf is killed we're hanging the people who voted for them. And we're doing it in a random manner and with no consideration for what else that individual has done in the game, so that wolves cannot predict who we're going after. Making a strong compelling case and voting for a wolf is one of the primary tells thanks to TIBWESH (There Is Bussing Without Exception Scott Howard)
    4. Asking someone to join a partnership - forming coalitions to subvert the will of the group? Wolfing
    5. Making town blocs - designating some people as town meaning as to not do evaluation on them, the greatest trick a wolf ever pulled was convincing the reader that it was in a harmless town bloc
    6. Contradictions

Note that these are mere guidelines I set upon me and are liable to change at any time where my attention deviates for more than a couple of seconds. Also I may vote people for things I said were townie and positive read people for acts which mere moments ago I maintained were scum in nature. Making the entire post a distraction only meant to provide some levity for me.

It is one's humble opinion that this setup is ridiculous in its scum sided nature. Alas not only does Town have but one jepg to cope with the odds against them, but Scum also have 11 villagers to use against jepg. Evidence of this is seen in the fact that the numbers are listed in the OP. I would have voted for 5 jepgs combined with the letters 'h, c, n, y, l' being unusable for Scum. With that said, if all Town follow these guidelines, I feel this will give Town an edge, that or severe communication issues - one of the two. So let's not let these scum win let's have a valiant charge into action!

Some things about me and some possible difficulties in reading me:

The read of jepg by you the people usually progresses in such a manner
    D1: jepg is probable scum
    D2: jepg is probable scum, but he's at least talking through some things of potential interest
    D3: jepg has presented a sound case on this wolf. Still scum himself though
    D4: Oh no scum took jepg from us! In hindsight and with the benefit of the flip he was so obvious town.
    I admit sometimes those are shortened, sometimes happening all in the same phase or even at times in a singular post. To be efficient, I suggest we all just start at the fourth stage. But if all of the village town reads me then scum just have an enormous incentive to kill me, thus I suggest around a 1/4 to 1/3 of people need to also fake scum read me just to convince the wolves they have a chance of getting me killed.

Reasons you may want to employ
    1. Put an ISO of me in spoilers and post that it gave "a vague suspicion of wolfiness" (don't be concerned it doesn't need to be convincing, no one will read the ISO anyway)
    2. Say I haven't been townie enough. It makes it so I'm the one who needs to talk in response to it and you don't need to provide any reasons bar some generalities
    3. Appeal to Emotion. No one likes an emotional series of posts so no one will read that close to see if it is true
    4. Talk about how it's bad that I'm withholding a vote
    5. Sidetrack a question about the scum read on me into an amusing anecdote about jpegs
    6. Argue that there is a clear meta difference between posts here and the town ISO in G7 (there could be but unsure if it has a meaning)
    7. Argue that there is a clear meta resemblance between posts here and a scum ISO in A Rankin/Bass Christmas Werewolf Production (there isn't but no one ever goes back to check, a person can put forth whatever nonsense comes into their head)

With that said, sincerely I hope that regardless of alignment we have a fun, carefree and good game of Mafia. Best of luck to all. Remember we're all people looking at a screen at the end of the day.

9. Bookmark ISO #9
    Timezone
    Community
    FR

10. Bookmark ISO #10
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    I'm doing this bc ily

11. Bookmark ISO #11
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
  12. Bookmark ISO #12
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    sorry lenny if you were gonna use this for flavor

13. Bookmark ISO #13
    OKINFOSECRETONTBOTHE?

What the heck does that mean?

14. Bookmark ISO #14
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    I have no idea I copy pasted without removing secret memes

15. Bookmark ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    It says “looking for a secret don’t bother”

Classix jepg

16. Bookmark ISO #16
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute (#13)
    OKINFOSECRETONTBOTHE?

What the heck does that mean?
    Also hi!!! Is this your first game?

17. Bookmark ISO #17
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give scum rand Dp101's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Hi everyone! Looking forward to playing this.

18. Bookmark ISO #18
    Yes it is! Who is Jpeg? Is that a person?

19. Bookmark ISO #19
    Thread Analyst atomicpianowitch's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    AoPS
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot

20. Bookmark ISO #20
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute (#18)
    Yup, he made that post originally.

Also this flavour is goat

21. Bookmark ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpianowitch (#19)
    hello hello hello
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot
    I’m glad you noticed lmao

22. Bookmark ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute (#18)
    Yup, he made that post originally.

Also this flavour is goat
    Technically speaking Quick made the post and jepg then edited it to fit which

I forgot to do

23. Bookmark ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    hello hello hello
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot
    Forced.

24. Bookmark ISO #24
    Community
    Flight Rising

/waves at lux and dp and apw, and nice to meetcha wintermute

This is bound to be a great game eeeee

(also i love these hours)

and ilu2 Lux

I kinda wanna snap lolearlyd1reads you with the lightest of town leans, for being so enthusiastic

That's bad, right? xD

25. Bookmark ISO #25
    Community
    Flight Rising

26. Bookmark ISO #26
    Community
    Mafia Games
    AKA
    Ara
    According to my watch, it is time to play mafia!!!

Hello everyone, excited to be playing with you all!

27. Bookmark ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Full disclosure, I'm going to be at a programming competition for much of tomorrow, so my thread presence will probably be limited. I'll probably post a bunch in the afternoon more, hopefully by then everyone will have checked into the thread and produced enough content to get reads out of.

28. Bookmark ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    hello hello hello
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot
    Forced.
    What makes you think it’s forced?

29. Bookmark ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    HI ERRYBODY

/waves at lux and dp and apw, and nice to meetcha wintermute

This is bound to be a great game eeeee

(also i love these hours)

and ilu2 Lux

I kinda wanna snap lolearlyd1reads you with the lightest of town leans, for being so enthusiastic

That's bad, right? xD
    No because you’d be correct with your read

30. Bookmark ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    also n0 your mom
    But ur my mom

31. Bookmark ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#26)
    According to my watch, it is time to play mafia!!!

Hello everyone, excited to be playing with you all!

Also sorry for spam posting I tend to just ignore the multi quote function.

I’m signing off for the night and I’ll be working tomorrow. I’ll definitely be here before and after my shift so hopefully more people will have shown up by then.

32. Bookmark ISO #32
    Ultimate Caregiver Maki Harukawa's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    MS
    AKA
    ScarletMask
    hello hello hello
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot
    Is this vote srs? I don't really think posting a lot is a scumtell at all unless certain terms are met and none of them have been met yet.

33. Bookmark ISO #33
    Community
    Mafia Scum

34. Bookmark ISO #34
    Timezone
    UTC+05:30
    Excited for this game. Phase timings are great.

35. Bookmark ISO #35
    Timezone
    Disclaimer - I pretend I know how to read people but I really dont tbh

36. Bookmark ISO #36
    Community
    Mafia Scum

He's the only one I am familiar with.

37. Bookmark ISO #37
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    The Return of the Koreaboo: a Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game Day 1 Votecount

Votes Target Voters (Posts in Phase)
    1 Tsaiah Lux (16)
    1 Lux atomicpianowitch (1)
    1 Virtuoso Jeanne11 (2)
    12 Not voting Vine (0), Inawordyes (0), Sally (2), Fvr_Vain (0), Maki Harukawa (1), Virtuoso (0), Arapocalypse (1), Dp101 (4), Tangerine (0), Tsaiah (2), Wintermute (2), Aquilla (0)

View Vote History

Day 1 ends at 12:00 AM EDT on Monday, October 23rd, 2017. There are 1508731260000 remaining.

Posted at 1 days, 18 hours, 0 minutes, 59 seconds remaining.

38. Bookmark ISO #38
    Crown Prince of Crazy Plans Inawordyes's Avatar
    Community
    MafiaManiac
    AKA
    IAWY
    Wait haha, I thkightth game was starting at Noon.

Okay then, hi guys!

39. Bookmark ISO #39
    Community
    MafiaManiac
    AKA
    IAWY
    @Maki Haruwaks I was so sad because I wanted to night-chat with you the last day and I submitted my action after EoD so it couldn’t go through. So now we have this game to talk!

40. Bookmark ISO #40
    Community
    MafiaManiac
    AKA
    IAWY

41. Bookmark ISO #41
    Timezone
    Community
    MafiaScum
    AKA
    ThinkBig (MafiaScum)
    Hi guys! I am here. Really looking forward to this

42. Bookmark ISO #42
    Timezone
    Community
    MafiaScum
    AKA
    ThinkBig (MafiaScum)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne11 (#36)
    ##Vote Virtuoso

OMGUS

43. Bookmark ISO #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso (#42)
    ##Vote Virtuoso

OMGUS
    Another one

##Vote Virtuoso

yeah, I also mainly recognise Virtuoso, Aquilla and possibly Ara, the rest are strangers.

44. Bookmark ISO #44
    Timezone
    Hopefully you are not maf this game. Would hate to get you lynched.

Hey Tange!

45. Bookmark ISO #45
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    The Return of the Koreaboo: a Mentor/Mentee Silent Hydra Game Day 1 Votecount

Votes Target Voters (Posts in Phase)
    2 Virtuoso Jeanne11 (2), Tangerine (1)
    1 Tsaiah Lux (16)
    1 Lux atomicpianowitch (1)
    11 Not voting Vine (0), Sally (3), Fvr_Vain (0), Maki Harukawa (1), Inawordyes (3), Virtuoso (2), Dp101 (4), Tsaiah (2), Wintermute (2), Arapocalypse (1), Aquilla (0)

View Vote History

Requested by Virtuoso at 1 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes, 8 seconds remaining.

46. Bookmark ISO #46
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Dp101 (#23)
    hello hello hello
    ##Vote Lux
    for posting a lot
    Forced.
    What makes you think it’s forced?
    Felt like he felt pressured to vote someone as a joke rather than said joke coming natural. Idk, just kind a gut feeling, probably not a big deal overall.

47. Bookmark ISO #47
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine (#43)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso (#42)
    ##Vote Virtuoso

OMGUS
    Another one

##Vote Virtuoso

yeah, I also mainly recognise Virtuoso, Aquilla and possibly Ara, the rest are strangers.
    Slightly awkward, but I’m starting to think that this game awkwardness might be NAI, on account of people both trying new things as prompted by mentors and also just being new.

48. Bookmark ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    AoPS
    The vote is no longer relevant now that we are further into the game.

49. Bookmark ISO #49
    Timezone
    Community
    AoPS
    I gtg, but I have a block of time in about 3-3.5 hours.

50. Bookmark ISO #50
    Timezone
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpianowitch (#48)
    ##Unvote Lux
    The vote is no longer relevant now that we are further into the game.
    Self conscious baddie vibes