Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 3: General Chat (Information, Banter, Confirmations)

1. ISO #101
    I'm excited for this. Hopefully I'll have the energy to follow along this year.

Thank you for organizing it!

2. ISO #102
    #BetterThanYou
    Community
    WF/DM/VS/PerC/MU/PHC
    Quote Originally Posted by MD4L View Post
    I want to play.
    Good luck, bud! Do us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    I'm excited for this. Hopefully I'll have the energy to follow along this year.

Thank you for organizing it!
    Nobody likes a suck up, Shad.

3. ISO #103
    Community
    DragonMount

4. ISO #104
    #BetterThanYou
    Community
    WF/DM/VS/PerC/MU/PHC

5. ISO #105
    Community
    millenniumforums.com

6. ISO #106
    #BetterThanYou
    Community
    WF/DM/VS/PerC/MU/PHC

7. ISO #107
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovsea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inawordyes View Post
    And on that note, as the sole representative of MafiaManiac currently playing on Mafia Universe, that we've been invited back this year despite being a small site playing a niche version of Mafia is awesome! I'm not someone who can accept the invitation on behalf of my community, but I have passed it on to those who can, and on their behalf you have our thanks.
    To be honest, while I will be participating here regardless of what others over at PI think, they're not completely enthused by the offers made here. I've checked out this site a bit (obviously) and I'm fairly impressed by the effort that's gone into it, but the differences in rules between PI Werewolf and just about every other site out there is somewhat substantial. For instance, we don't have separate Day/Night periods, they happen at the same time, which I'm told is unique. A lot of players on PI don't really like the changes between our forum and pretty much every other cite (think of them as purists), so they're not all that excited for this. Obviously, that's not every player, but the old guard (as it is) is very much in line with Paradox Werewolf is the best Werewolf.
    I'd be quite interested to hear more ways like this in which mafia/werewolf differs from forum to forum; I find it fascinating.

If any other forums want to chime in about how their structure or rules or cultural norms (for example, fake peeks vs. breadcrumbs vs. no soft claiming at all) in playing the games differs, it would be really cool to hear.

8. ISO #108
    CFC was basically the Gal?pagos Islands before ATPG showed up. The org has its own unique style and culture as well.

9. ISO #109
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    CFC was basically the Gal?pagos Islands before ATPG showed up. The org has its own unique style and culture as well.
    In what way?

The Galapagos Islands metaphor is pretty awesome btw

10. ISO #110
    Community
    The Syndicate
    And on that note, as the sole representative of MafiaManiac currently playing on Mafia Universe, that we've been invited back this year despite being a small site playing a niche version of Mafia is awesome! I'm not someone who can accept the invitation on behalf of my community, but I have passed it on to those who can, and on their behalf you have our thanks.
    To be honest, while I will be participating here regardless of what others over at PI think, they're not completely enthused by the offers made here. I've checked out this site a bit (obviously) and I'm fairly impressed by the effort that's gone into it, but the differences in rules between PI Werewolf and just about every other site out there is somewhat substantial. For instance, we don't have separate Day/Night periods, they happen at the same time, which I'm told is unique. A lot of players on PI don't really like the changes between our forum and pretty much every other cite (think of them as purists), so they're not all that excited for this. Obviously, that's not every player, but the old guard (as it is) is very much in line with Paradox Werewolf is the best Werewolf.
    That's neat. I've never heard of a day/night cycle being combined together into one phase, but I'm adding that to my mechanics list of things to try.

We also tend to do things different at the Syndicate too. Like some forums, we like extravagant and in-depth themes. But I think unlike most forums, we don't reveal nightkilled roles, nor do we allow role-claiming/info-dumping in games, leaving quite a bit of mystery. We also run our lynches via a poll that players vote in.

11. ISO #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    In what way?

The Galapagos Islands metaphor is pretty awesome btw
    haha, I'm not the first to use that metaphor in relation to the CFC mafia scene, I stole it from someone else.

On CFC, there were two variants, "mafia" and "Night of the Werewolves", with little overlap in the playerbase.

Mafia were clue games. Each night, every mafia member kills one person and leaves a clue about their identity (it can be true or false, but has to alternate between true and false). During the day, people got to vote as many times as there were mafia, and that many people were lynched. So the games went by pretty rapidly, given the amount of people that were dying each phase relative to the small size of the games. Catching mafia was mostly based on clue analysis. These clue games mostly died off by 2009/2010 and were replaced by more conventional mafia games.

NOTW was a pretty complex form of mafia. Example 1, Example 2. Multiple scum teams, neutrals, and such were the norm, and there were no vanilla roles. Everyone had a role (and role-playing was a significant element, particularly earlier on), an ability, possibility an item(s) (that could transfer to other players), and a personal goal in addition to team victory. Notably, private out-of-thread communication between players was basically unlimited (not just between the mafia and masons - any two players could talk to each other in private) and a huge part of the game, so much so that sometimes the game thread might look somewhat dull to an outsider, because most of the scheming and plotting was happening in private.

Askthepizzaguy invaded in 2009, and hosted more conventional games that rocked CFC's world. Native members started hosting their own mafia games that weren't clue-based and weren't NOTWs, yet still distinct from mafia games you'd see here.

A few key differences remain:

- Obviously the activity levels is not so hyper as seen here.

- Private communication is still widespread.

- Sometimes night talk and even dead-talk is allowed.

- Only flavor role and alignment is revealed on death (ie not "x was the town roleblocker").

- Pretty much all setups are closed, and vanilla roles are less common. Setups are more convoluted in general.

The Org's history has its own uniqueness to it.

- In many games, especially older ones, reveals on death were either nonexistent or delayed.

- Dead players could almost always talk, and were even allowed to make their own cases and such, as long as they used only information from the public thread (e.g. if the cop died they couldn't just say "I scanned all these people: ").

- Capo-style games. Huge games where townies can form groups to perform actions (e.g. five townies working together can vigilante-kill), progress to more powerful roles through promotion, become mafia and even start their own mafia families, and so on. Several variants. Private communication was extremely widespread in these types of games.

Anyways, that was probably more detail than anyone wanted. ATPG could give a good rundown too, especially wrt the Org.

12. ISO #112
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    that is super interesting, wow

wow

thanks, Zack

reading through the Capo one now

13. ISO #113
    Community
    DragonMount
    I can't tell if this a long con troll by Gad or if he's serious

14. ISO #114
    I really like how varied mafia is over all the different forums. The game is flexible enough to suit lots of different tastes. Over at Bay12 we tend to have a lot of very experimental games with novel role mechanics, and the majority have flavour but aren't themed to an existing film, game or tv series. So for example, I run games where players pick their role abilities using point-based character creation system.

I prefer complex open setups where all the possibilities are known but there's a logic-puzzle element to figuring out what exact setup is in play. As such, I'm looking forward to seeing how these Championship games pan out.

15. ISO #115
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I can't tell if this a long con troll by Gad or if he's serious
    Why wouldn't I be serious? I find it really funny/fascinating how different rules and cultural norms have evolved in radically different ways in different fora around what is essentially the same core game. I think we lose that perspective on POG sometimes because we, naturally, tend to think that our way is the ldo best way of doing things.

I hope more people post examples of how their ways of playing mafia differs materially from most of the rest of the web.

16. ISO #116
    Community
    DragonMount
    You just seems so wide-eyed and full of wonder

Standard caveats apply

17. ISO #117
    Community
    DragonMount
    Have you played outside of POG (besides here LDO)?

18. ISO #118
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    Have you played outside of POG (besides here LDO)?
    yep

here's a post i wrote in the Toon Mash postgame:

it's all just forum culture stuff

maintaining bright-line boundaries to enforce normative principles

when i first got here, i came from a message board (Straight Dope) where it was standard in mafia games to try and clear yourself by referring to specific letter frequencies in your role PMs -- I am not making this up, it's called "handshaking" and people would rely on it to find fellow villagers by saying, like, "I have eight As and three commas in my villa win condition, someone tell me how many Ns I have and we can clear each other." And to adjust to handshake attempts, mods would deliberately insert typos and spelling errors and slight wording differences into the role PMs (!), rather than addressing the issue more straightforwardly by, say, prohibiting people from purporting to refer to the wording of their PMs, or making the villa win condition public

here we obviously see that kind of handshaking as egregious angleshooting/cheating and have instituted categorical rules that prevent it; there they did not. it caused an issue for me one game here. i think POG is on the right side of that particular issue, of course -- we've had a lot of really smart and analytical people spend a lot of time and a lot of text thinking about ww theory over the years -- but it's always useful/interesting to recognize that our norms are not necessarily universal and that other places approach things differently...and to be mindful, when people come from other places and start playing here, that they may not be fully apprised of certain cultural norms that we deem both common-sense and foundational. (and, conversely, it's super-important for people who come here from other forums to be able to recognize/adapt to the normative differences so they don't wind up getting modkilled for not realizing how seriously we take certain rules that may not exist in the same form elsewhere)
    but there's a difference between things like fakepeeking vs. no fakepeeking (which is interesting enough in itself) and things like (1) dead players getting to continue to post and solve the game as long as they don't reveal the results of their night actions; (2) day phases and night phases happening simultaneously; (3) players being given unfettered private communication and the ability to team up to submit vig shots; or (4) players starting out villa and being able to form their own mafia families over the course of the game such that they're no longer villa-aligned

y'know?

19. ISO #119
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    I also played at Giraffe Board and IdleBoards for a bit during my SDMB days.

20. ISO #120
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    MafiaManiac, SurvivORG
    AKA
    IAWY, Wooleer/Wooly
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    I'd be quite interested to hear more ways like this in which mafia/werewolf differs from forum to forum; I find it fascinating.

If any other forums want to chime in about how their structure or rules or cultural norms (for example, fake peeks vs. breadcrumbs vs. no soft claiming at all) in playing the games differs, it would be really cool to hear.
    I wrote a blog post about it so you could look at that to get more information, but MM plays "Den Mafia", which is our own developed style that focuses on short 24/24 games and vanillas unless they have a secondary passive ability (unkillabke at night, Godfather, etc.) or sometimes they're a Mafia member. We like roles, and we based our games around roles, roles, roles haha.
    I was a leek once.

21. ISO #121
    Timezone
    Community
    MafiaManiac, SurvivORG
    AKA
    IAWY, Wooleer/Wooly
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

I wrote a blog post about it so you could look at that to get more information, but MM plays "Den Mafia", which is our own developed style that focuses on short 24/24 games and vanillas unless they have a secondary passive ability (unkillabke at night, Godfather, etc.) or sometimes they're a Mafia member. We like roles, and we based our games around roles, roles, roles haha.
    No role reveals on death, sometimes we do Anon games where we use specific accounts named after the Greek Alphabet to play, those are fun. The site p's not as active right now for some reason, which is sad, but hopefully things pick up!
    I was a leek once.

22. ISO #122
    Community
    DragonMount
    We have a no role reveal open set-up game on VS right now looking to fill. Instead of conjecture let's play some internet yelling games?

23. ISO #123
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    We have a no role reveal open set-up game on VS right now looking to fill. Instead of conjecture let's play some internet yelling games?
    YEAH! INTERNET YELLING GAMES! OH YEAH!
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

24. ISO #124
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    I don't think I'm good enough for a no role reveal setup

role reveals are 90 percent of the fun

25. ISO #125
    Community
    DragonMount
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    YEAH! INTERNET YELLING GAMES! OH YEAH!
    YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No role reveals drives me NUTS fwiw

I respect them as a form of game but oh my god do I go crazy

26. ISO #126
    Thread Analyst The_Machine_5000's Avatar
    Community
    Hypixel Mafia
    I was waiting to make my first post until after Hypixel had decided who's gonna be our representative (I've got the video clip and the music all ready for the announcement), but this is too interesting.

Hypixel hosts an up and coming mafia community (we had our "first" game signups early march last year).

Almost everyone wants to host a game, so we've got a pretty diverse game-type, with games as vanilla as they can be, all the way to the extreme bastard of the goo. Most of our games are definitely role madness, so we tend to experiment and invent new roles, as well as mess around with day and night mechanics.

I'll go back to hiding in the dark now.

27. ISO #127
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Machine_5000 View Post
    I was waiting to make my first post until after Hypixel had decided who's gonna be our representative (I've got the video clip and the music all ready for the announcement), but this is too interesting.

Hypixel hosts an up and coming mafia community (we had our "first" game signups early march last year).

Almost everyone wants to host a game, so we've got a pretty diverse game-type, with games as vanilla as they can be, all the way to the extreme bastard of the goo. Most of our games are definitely role madness, so we tend to experiment and invent new roles, as well as mess around with day and night mechanics.

I'll go back to hiding in the dark now.
    Hi TM5000!

Glad to have you, definitely stick around and play some games if you've got the time. Also, if Hypixel likes to host games, be sure to let us know when a game is about to start in our Off-Site Games forum!
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

28. ISO #128
    I also don't care for no reveals. On the other hand, I think sites like MU go too far with the reveals - meaning, I think only alignment should be revealed, role and role PM is excessive and really hurts the mafia.

29. ISO #129
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs

30. ISO #130
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Hi. I'm an old fart.
    @Dot, this man can tell you more about Org than I ever could, considering he's the one who started it there.

nice avatar, gh

31. ISO #131
    Community
    Naruto Forums Mafia
    I believe it all matters from game to game. You can't really claim blanket truths.

You don't have to follow hard and fast rules. Approach each game with what you want and then decide the limitations needed to balance it.

32. ISO #132
    Community
    Paradox Interactive
    Lots of interestingness here. I'm not sure what "breadcrumbs" are or "fake peeks", but I thought I'd share more about the Paradox setups. There are two basic types of games; "Big" and "Lite" games. There are more players in Big games, while for a while now Lites have been fairly standard at 17. The Lite setup is simple 4x Baddies (wolf/mafia scum), 1x seer/cop, 12x villager/townie. Despite the simple, open setup it's considered a bit more intense than a Big game. Big games can have anywhere from 20ish to 40+ players (our largest game had 65 players) and there are a wide range of roles and traits available. Not all roles/traits will always be used, so there's a lot more room for creativity within the Big setup, and because of all the players and multiple packs analysis is harder; so the games are usually considered more relaxed. JLs (Justice League) exist, which are groups of Goodies in contact with one another via private conversation. All players can PM each other with few to no limits in our games, which means that a lot of the times (in Bigs especially) there's a lot of intrigue behind the scenes.

These are some facts for the Lite games played:
    Total number of completed games: 322

Mass suicides: 1 (0,3077%)
    GM loses 1 (0,3077%)
    Baddie wins: 153 (47,08%)
    Goodie wins: 167 (51,38%)
    Abandoned: 3 (0.9231%)

Longest goodie streak: 6 games
    Longest baddie streak: 8 games​

The setup is fairly balanced between Baddies and Goodies (it's not been standardized for all 300 games, however).

33. ISO #133
    Community
    Hypixel Mafia
    Breadcrumbs are essentially soft claims that if you pick them all up you can learn someones role.

34. ISO #134
    Community
    Paradox Interactive
    Breadcrumbs are essentially soft claims that if you pick them all up you can learn someones role.
    Could you explain the concept of soft claims a bit more, then?

35. ISO #135
    Community
    PersonalityCafe
    :kitten:

this forum needs kitten emojis.

36. ISO #136
    hinting at your role without being explicit

37. ISO #137
    GM loses 1 (0,3077%)

38. ISO #138
    Community
    Paradox Interactive
    GM loses 1 (0,3077%)
    As I understand it the Suicides were mostly for fun.
    The GM loss, though, is why we've taken to more critical analysis of who exactly is GMing. Although I believe part of that may have been because of forum transition.

39. ISO #139
    Community
    Paradox Interactive
    GM loses 1 (0,3077%)
    As I understand it the Suicides were mostly for fun.
    The GM loss, though, is why we've taken to more critical analysis of who exactly is GMing. Although I believe part of that may have been because of forum transition.
    I can't edit this, so let me modify what I just said. The mass suicide was apparently the first Lite game on the forums. The GM Loss was actually before my time, but it was co-hosted by two GMs, so that may have had something to do with it.

40. ISO #140
    Community
    The Syndicate
    This.

But usually the problem with breadcrumbs is that even though they are easy to leave behind, they are often difficult to pick up. Most players don't read the thread with a magnifying glass looking for breadcrumbs, and even if any do, they rarely know what to look for. But since they are difficult to pick up, they are usually relatively safe claims to make.

The simplest example I can think of: I've seen a cop post a daily list of all players from least to most suspicious. Each day he civ-peaked a player, he would bump them to the top of the list.

41. ISO #141
    I also played at Giraffe Board and IdleBoards for a bit during my SDMB days.
    Handshake central

42. ISO #142
    Community
    Hypixel Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmarsh89 View Post
    This.

But usually the problem with breadcrumbs is that even though they are easy to leave behind, they are often difficult to pick up. Most players don't read the thread with a magnifying glass looking for breadcrumbs, and even if any do, they rarely know what to look for. But since they are difficult to pick up, they are usually relatively safe claims to make.

The simplest example I can think of: I've seen a cop post a daily list of all players from least to most suspicious. Each day he civ-peaked a player, he would bump them to the top of the list.
    My very first game I decided to soft claim by role playing...

I decided to play the part of a grouchy retired Veteran.

Everyone eventually decided I was a PGO, (I was actually a 1-shot Elite Bodyguard), and left me alone until the cult blasted me 2-3 nights before endgame. (They picked up the NK N1)

43. ISO #143
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    PerC/The Syndicate/MU
    AKA
    Lenore
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfinyon View Post
    #DizzyHype
    :kitten:

this forum needs kitten emojis.
    MORFY

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE
    Beru - Today at 1:36 PM
    what's the eimm equivalent of free dead villager
    Bored (Excerpt)

Sometimes he would whistle, sometimes
    I would. The boring rhythm of doing
    things over and over, carrying
    the wood, drying
    the dishes. Such minutiae. It's what
    the animals spend most of their time at,
    ferrying the sand, grain by grain, from their tunnels,
    shuffling the leaves in their burrows. He pointed
    such things out, and I would look
    at the whorled texture of his square finger, earth under
    the nail.

• Anon Invitational Mash - Start: Sept. 9th

44. ISO #144
    Community
    Hypixel Mafia
    Just wondering, but how many pages/posts do y'all normally see in a game?
    How many players?

45. ISO #145
    Just wondering, but how many pages/posts do y'all normally see in a game?
    How many players?
    Because this site is a conglomerate meeting place of players from many different sites, that varies a lot.

Each community has different standards of post volume, so if you get a 40 player game with a lot of people from a certain site, you might have four thousand posts in the first 24 hours.

46. ISO #146
    In terms of the usual number of players, that varies too.

There have been 3 "large" scale games, of 80, 57 and 48 players respectively, there have been a multitude of 20-30 player games, and a 13er runs almost every week ( or two).

In addition, 9 player "turbo" games (that take about an hour) run with relative frequency depending on how many regulars are interested.

47. ISO #147
    Since s1/s2 finalists aren't eligible and most people won't have played on MU or pog before, the posting level might not actually be that outrageous

48. ISO #148
    Community
    Veridian Dynamics
    Since s1/s2 finalists aren't eligible and most people won't have played on MU or pog before, the posting level might not actually be that outrageous
    Offense taken

49. ISO #149
    Community
    POG
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Tweeter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Tweeter View Post
    Exclusive: Cormag from The Millennium Forums is officially the first selected representative for S3 #itisstarting #gethyped
    Retweet

Cormag follows in the footsteps of Tom, a previous finalist, and Riki, a previous wildcard #bigshoes #willtheyfit
    I find this hilarious for some reason

50. ISO #150
    Community
    DragonMount