Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 5, Game 9: 17 Short Films About Mafia [The Mafia Championship] Night 5
Night 5 

1. Bookmark ISO #1
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia
    Season 5, Game 9: 17 Short Films About Mafia [The Mafia Championship]

SEASON 5, GAME 9: 17 SHORT FILMS ABOUT MAFIA (MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP)

Welcome to Season 5 of the Mafia Championship!

An international forum-based tournament for skilled Mafia players from 170 different communities!

Spectate the game on our Discord server (650+ members): https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg

Read more about this season and the Mafia Championship here.

Hosted By: Our automated @Mafia Host w/ @Visorslash providing flavor
    Start Date: June 11, 2018
    SOD/EOD: 9 AM/9 PM EDT
    Phase Lengths: 36/12
    Lynch Mechanics: Deadline Lynch (person with most votes is lynched at the end of the deadline). In case of a tie, one of the tied players will randomly be lynched. No lynch is a valid vote. Starting Day 2, Majority is enabled, meaning the players can end day early if someone attains a majority of the votes.
    Night Chat In Thread: No, thread will be locked during Night Phases
    Out of Thread Communication: Only the Mafia team may communicate with each other outside of the thread (24/7)
    Posting Requirement: 10 posts per Day Phase.
    First randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup (13 townies versus 4 mafia).

Column 1 Column 2
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Role Cop
    Row A Town Even Night Vigilante
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Voyeur
    Town Even Night Vigilante
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Tracker
    Row B Town Even Night Vigilante
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Voyeur
    Row C Town Tracker
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Tracker
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Voyeur
    Row D Town Tracker
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Voyeur
    Town Jack of All Trades*
    Town Motion Detector
    Row E Town Doctor
    Town Jack of All Trades*
    Town Doctor
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Motion Detector

Additional information:

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

Example:
    If you randed 2 and B, then you'd get the following setup:

Mafia Goon, Mafia Goon, Mafia Goon, Mafia Role Cop
    vs.
    Town Even Night Vigilante, Town Jailkeeper, Town Voyeur, 10 Vanilla Townies

So the general idea is that as a townie, you know you're up against one of 2 possible mafia team compositions. And as a mafia you know you're up against one of 5 possible town team compositions. The more powerful the mafia team is, the more power is given to the town team, naturally.

Important setup notes:
    • The mafia's factional kill must be assigned to a single member of their team each night. This means that the mafia's factional kill can, for example, be blocked by a Town Jailkeeper or tracked by a Town Tracker.
    • None of the included roles can self-target, including the protective roles.
    • Doctors, Jailkeepers, and Roleblockers are not allowed to target the same players on consecutive nights.
    • The Even Night Vigilante may only shoot on even nights (i.e. Night 2, Night 4, etc.).
    • The Voyeur's own action will not show up in their result.
    • There are no night 0 actions (aka pre-game actions).

Role explanations:
    Please go to this page to read about the different roles if you're unfamiliar with them (important: you can find the exact wording of the Role PMs here): https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...oles-Modifiers

# REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNITY BACK-UP(S)
    1 @Aldax ARS Technica
    2 @Asek Smogon
    3 @beruru Fantasy Strike
    4 @danikai Paranoia Paradise @Skot Holcombe
    5 @DansGame89 Mario Kart MB
    6 @divagreen TalkRational
    7 @Infected_alien8_ EscapeRestart
    8 @jdarksun Penny Arcade
    9 @M Plus 7 The Syndicate @dunya
    11 @mhsmith0 Play Diplomacy
    12 @mtamburini Conquer Club
    13 @Necrominus Boards.ie @Tigger
    14 @Ro3 Mach Entertainment
    15 @RobotNerd277 MIT Mafia @goddamnTurmeric
    16 @Secondhand Revenant Mafia Universe
    17 @Zack CivFanatics

GET HYPED!

2. Bookmark ISO #2
    Timezone
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia

1) Aldax

REPRESENTING: ARS Technica

NATIONALITY: Mexican

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2012

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Ars' The Wolf Game

BIO:
    Regular player at Ars' The Wolf Game. I used to play mostly by gut feeling while townie and thinly veiled subterfuge while wolf, but now I try to analyze more before defending/voting for someone, whether that is working or not is yet to be decided

2) Asek

REPRESENTING: Smogon

NATIONALITY: australian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2011

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: pokemon online, smogon

BIO:

3) beruru

REPRESENTING: Fantasy Strike Mafia Discord

NATIONALITY: 🇨🇦

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2005

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Gaia Online, MSPA Forums, Sirlin.Net, Fantasy Strike, Chocolate Pi Game Design Forums, Mafia Universe, Dark Lord Potter, Daily Mafia, Flight Rising, Mini Mafia, Dappervolk, Serenes Forest

BIO:

beruru is a very old ancient bear of mafia (bear very important), playing forum mafia since probably 1AD. They are therefore very experienced with all forms of the game, including large open role madness setups known as Witchhunt, vanilla+ setups, role madness, and for some bizarre reason, mountainous. Why does beruru like mafia with zero power roles? It is a mystery.

beruru has played in the championships once before. It's recommended not to talk about it.

beruru's strength is in their dedication, wherein they have a bunch of real life notes about the game that they'll write down. They're very observant, open to any situation that could exist, and will have an insane hold on the understanding of the game. The undertitle "Ultimate Spectator" was given to them due to their accurate reads while spectating a game. Doesn't mean they're townsiding, though. Meta is hard, though. You shouldn't trust meta from a secondhand source.

They also have a strength in understanding thought processes, and if you manage to talk with them about anything they are an invaluable help in guiding you and correcting your course.

beruru is also an incredible friend that I am grateful to have. They're cute, willing to talk and do anything, loves memes and idol music, and well...

At what point did you realise this wasn't beruru writing the bio?

I didn't write this bio because beruru requested me to. I wrote it because I wanted to embarrass the two of us. And I feel like so far I'm doing a piss-poor job, huh. I thought they'd... write something about the community they're representing, which I have low knowledge of and don't want to talk about for fear of misrepresenting something. Sorry Fantasy Strike!

Weh.

But apparently this is fine too.

So.

How do I describe how good a person beruru is?

They're a huge rock for me, an amazing presence during many of my meltdowns that I can always turn to and know their very comforting door is open. They're comfortable with each and any conversation that I want to talk about, and is incredibly open to the relationship we've fostered, one where we can hang out and discuss not just mafia, but other topics and uh, bonding activities. And I can feel like I can trust them about anything. But really. For this championship I will probably try and be as radio silent to beruru as much as possible. And it's gonna be lonely. Their presence is heartwarming and I want them to do and be the best at the Championships. When I next to talk to them they'll have either crushed the mafia team or crushed the village in a win. But... regardless, I'm happy they're playing Champs and I wish them the best.

Weh.

How do you describe how a person means to you in this way? We trust each other on a very personal level, we just... get each other, we value each other and our words, and... we just...

weh

i feel like i haven't done this justice...

good luck, friend beruru! you'll do great and i believe in you.

~SmartBomb

PS: as you've probably noticed, beruru prefers the they/them/theirs pronouns. because they are a bear. duh.
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    what if I just spilled my guts on your bio
    is that ok
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    that's ok
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    would you feel uncomfortable putting a bio up where it's just me talking about how beru is the greatest friend ever and I love them
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    no
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    ...i'm concerned I might not be able to do that
    now
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    uuuuuuu
    no
    its ok
    force everyone to stare into the brilliance
    d i a m o n d f r i e n d s
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    weh
    !

Beru - 31/05/2018
    [11:59 PM] smartbomb: would you feel uncomfortable putting a bio up where it's just me talking about how beru is the greatest friend ever and I love them
    i actually want you to do this
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    weh....
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    please sing my praises kouhai
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    oh my god
    anything to do to make senpai happy
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    hjdsgkjlethgekjlahkjstrg
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    im just scared
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    why
    smartbomb - 31/05/2018
    i won't live up to expectations
    Beru - 31/05/2018
    no
    whatever you do will be beautiful

thanks newcomb
    smartbomb - Today at 20:31
    sigh
    im staring at this bio
    im gonna send it
    im
    Beru - Today at 20:31
    o
    I believe in u kouhai
    smartbomb - Today at 20:31
    i have
    weh
    i have feelings about it
    Beru - Today at 20:31
    you did it....
    oh
    smartbomb - Today at 20:32
    my first thought is "i hope people don't assume they're romantically involved"
    Beru - Today at 20:32
    the power of friendship.... can defeat all things
    lol
    because that would be a $#@!ing icebreaker
    Beru - Today at 20:32
    oh boy
    that people might use in your game
    Beru - Today at 20:33
    no this is just the guy who I break his arms sometimes and he enjoys it for some reason
    :yellow_heart:
    smartbomb - Today at 20:33
    :yellow_heart:

4) danikai

REPRESENTING: Paranoia Paradise

NATIONALITY: American

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2017

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Paranoia Paradise (FB), Play by Post (FB)

BIO:
    I am omnipotent. Other than that, I play to be social and stay connected with friends across the country. I'm an admin at Paranoia Paradise and Play by Post on Facebook where I focus on data analytics for our members game stats and recruitment/marketing strategies! By career I am a data analyst and CPA. I love meeting new people who enjoy the game (or any gaming). #hufflepufflyfe

5) DansGame89

REPRESENTING: Mario Kart MB

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2015

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: mariokart64.com

BIO: I guess the most interesting fact about myself is that I'm ranked 2nd in the world in time trials at Mario Kart 64. On the forums for the website I've also played mafia for the last few years and have also played some IRL mafia. I feel like I enjoy being mafia or VT the most, the most pressure I feel is as a PR and trying to get the most out of my night actions. I would call myself a very analytical player that's good at finding trends on D2 or D3 from early game posts that other people didn't notice. As a mafia member I like to communicate a great deal with my teammates.

6) divagreen

REPRESENTING: TalkRational

NATIONALITY: United States

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2009

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Talk Rational, Rational Skepticism, Rationalia, Freethought Forum, Mafiascum and a few others that I can't remember the name of.

BIO:
    I didn't know what to say so I had to get some help! Here is the feedback:

bili: "just tell them you are old"

spruce: "When your mama was the geek, my dreamlets," Papa would say, "she made the nipping off of noggins such a crystal mystery that the hens themselves yearned toward her, waltzing around her, hypnotized with longing."

testy: "Tell them,'I have made luck my servant'."

op8: "don't tell them you are from here"

op8: "and I played more mafia"

spruce: "As many of you are likely aware, diva is widely known as a generous mentor, frequently hydrating with junior players being either introduced to the game or trying to start a new life on a new mafia site as part of the Relocator Universal Mafia Program of Transition Settlement (RUMPOTS). Once adequately ripened she of course eats them, advancing the kindhearted Circle of Life."
    cory: "i had cannibalism as a dealbreaker "
    timewave: "What lead you to believe Diva was the same species as you?"

msg: "She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside 'er."

7) Infected_alien8_

REPRESENTING: EscapeRestart

NATIONALITY: UK

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2016

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Escape Restart

BIO:
    I'm a 19 year old guy (actually I think I'll be 20 by the time I play here) from the UK and I like Mafia a lot. Playing with the group of us at Escape Restart over and over where we take it in turns having a different person hosting their own setup each time is a ton of fun and I spend a lot of time laughing, scheming, debating and enjoying the many ridiculous antics we get up to together. But I'm excited to step outside of that as well and play in a more competitive environment, and I'm proud to represent my Escape Restart buddies in the Championships. Closed setups with slightly crazy hidden mechanics are the norm in my community so it will be interesting and challenging to face an open setup with relatively vanilla roles and a tournament backdrop. I'm really looking forward to meeting and playing with you all. See you in the game!

8) jdarksun

REPRESENTING: Penny Arcade

NATIONALITY: USA

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): appx. 2006

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: forums.penny-arcade.com

BIO:
    PAX Omeganaut back in '07. We don't really keep a win/loss record on the PA boards, so I don't have any statistics or anything to brag about. We tend to value enjoyable theme and play a lot of experimental games, so balanced isn't always exact anyhow. I enjoy designing games, especially ones that have games-within-a-game. It doesn't always work the way I plan.

Fan of roleplaying games and indie developers. We play the first and interview the second over at ThatDnDPodcast.

9) M Plus 7

REPRESENTING: The Syndicate

NATIONALITY: United States

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2010

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: The Syndicate, Lostpedia, The Piano, RevolutionMafia, Hedville, RateYourMusic, ProgArchives, KSiteTV, Mafia Universe, Naruto Forums, HeroClix Realms, Personality Cafe

BIO:
    I started playing forum-based mafia in the summer of 2010 on Lostpedia under the username MovingPictures07, and to say the least I instantly fell in love with the game. Not long after playing on Lostpedia and other LP-based sites designated for mafia, I introduced the game to folks at ProgArchives, who were unfamiliar with forum mafia. In late 2012, in response to decreasing activity across various communities, I founded a mafia site, The Syndicate, which primarily comprises players originating from Lostpedia-based mafia communities, as well as ProgArchives, RateYourMusic, and other communities where mafia has become defunct. Over 5 years later, I couldn’t be happier that we have a thriving community of accomplished players from unique backgrounds. I am proud to finally be able to represent the community I founded in this Championship.

As a player, I generally prefer games closer to the pure end of the spectrum (all vanilla roles) because I enjoy the hunt and do not particularly care for role madness. That said, I am known to still play and enjoy role madness games. My favorite role is vanilla town. Most of the time I would say I prefer to be town, but I also take great joy in successfully replicating my town meta when mafia as well.

Regarding my life outside of mafia, professionally I’m in the process of finishing up my PhD in Accounting this summer and starting as an Assistant Professor of Accounting this coming fall semester. My biggest passion in life is music; I am an obsessive listener, concert attender, musician (drums and percussion primarily), and composer. I love a variety of music, but my tastes trend towards underground, experimental, and unconventional music of many types. My favorite genre is electronic, followed by jazz, rock, and pop, with some dabbling in hip hop, metal, dub, etc. Other non-mafia hobbies and passions of mine include playing tabletop and card games, casually playing video games and following developments in tennis, politics, and business news.

I wish the best of luck to my fellow Game 9 participants, and I look forward to playing with you all.

10) Mexal

REPRESENTING: westeros

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2007

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Westeros, Mafiauniverse, Somethingawful, mafiascum

BIO:
    I may not be prolific but I sure am dense.

11) mhsmith0

REPRESENTING: Play Diplomacy

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2016

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Playdiplomacy, mafiascum, mafiauniverse, POG

BIO:
    Probably something like 40 long games under my belt at this point, plus a good stack of turbos. I enjoy $#@!posting, VCA, game state reads, reaction tests, posting gifs and videos, mechanical plays, and (trying to) striking a balance between playing hard and having fun. I enjoy randing town, and think I’m pretty good at it, but have slowly learned how to wolf without embarrassing myself. I’ve played with a couple of you before, and am looking forward to getting to know everyone else and having a great time together!
    PS I also do a lot of work on setup design across multiple sites, so if you’re ever in need of an extra pair of eyes on a setup, let me know and I’ll see what I can do

12) mtamburini

REPRESENTING: Conquer Club

NATIONALITY: Italian/Canadian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2008

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Conquerclub Epicmafia Mafiamaniac Dailymafia TeamLiquid

BIO:
    Asl: 26 male Canada
    Hobbies: poker soccer and sudoku
    Favourite role: Third party
    Goals: traveling the world with no credit cards and relying on my gambling to earn enough cash to visit a new destination
    How do I play mafia: I would weigh my town hunting abilities to scum hunting abilities 70/30. Finding town is more important then finding scum but you still must scumhunt.
    Most memorable moments: Game of daily mafia got to a final 3 as town (no role flips in game) convinced both the town and the scum that I was hammering. Let both say their peace and then began to laugh and said sorry for trolling I’m actually the cop and have a green on rein so I know your mafia geript. Got him to concede and when the mod did the games role reveal and said I was VT everyone face dropped.
    A game on teamliquid I fake claimed vigi in an semiopen setup as VT. For whatever reason I’m really good at figuring out who’s the vigilante (if there is one in game) read successfully that there wasn’t one and got roleblocked twice and then on the night I died I got roleblocked too. When I flipped VT the town was freaking out and when I read the mafia chat they were going absolutely bonkers. I was nominated for craziest play of the year for it.
    If you want me to town read you, make your posts at least 2 large paragraphs long because I won’t read anything larger than that and just assume scum wouldn’t do long posts.

13) Necrominus

REPRESENTING: Boards.ie

NATIONALITY: Irish

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2017

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Boards.ie, irishpokerboards.com, Mafia Universe, Facebook

BIO:
    Started playing mafia/WW almost 18 months ago when randomly discovering the game on my homesite.

Since then I've played or modded at least a game a month - to the chagrin of my wife.

Looking forward to repping my homesite in the upcoming game.

14) Ro3

REPRESENTING: Mach Entertainment

NATIONALITY: Canadian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2011

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Mach Entertainment, MTG Salvation

BIO:
    Mafia is a game I don't take too seriously. I may act completely different from one post to the next depending on how I'm feeling. This can work out well, as it creates something to talk about, it just depends on whether it is seen as scummy or not. If you see a Ro3's Random Accusations post, that means I REALLY want something interesting to happen.

15) RobotNerd277

REPRESENTING: MIT Mafia

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2012

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: MSPA Forums, Flight Rising, Eagle Time, MIT Mafia

BIO:
    Hi, I'm RobotNerd277. I'm a university student, representing my school at this huge event. I'm super excited to be doing this! I'm honestly not sure what my meta is. I try to be... nice I guess? Benefit-of-the-doubt-y? But like, I also get frustrated when people waffle over literally everyone, and I get especially frustrated when I do that. I will do my best to make myself have opinions, but feel free to shake my virtual shoulders if I'm being stupid like that.

I've been into forum mafia since I was a wee high schooler, playing tons of games on the now-defunct MSPA forums. Like, seriously, I'm looking at my old quicktopic list and there's just so many games and memories that have been lost to some forum maintenance gone awry. MSPA was my home mafia forum, and I'm still sad that it's gone. Around this time, I had played in a bunch of other communities, such as MafiaScum and Ava's Demon, but I'd always come back to MSPA.

Fast forward a few years, and I found myself at MIT. I thought I would be way too busy for mafia, but I found a community of people who played a mafia-like game that felt pretty similar to the forum game I was used to. However, mechanics revolved not around simply PMing the GM about what you're doing that night, but by physically finding people to kill them or trade items or what have you. It is a fascinating game with a fascinating meta, and I've played just about every game that anyone in the MIT community runs. It's particularly interesting that it requires physical real-world interaction, which is a dimension that cannot be exploited on forums, but at the same time, that almost limits what kinds of mechanics would be available to players, because the community generally expects that that mechanic be fully utilized in every game.

At some point, I found myself growing a little tired of MIT's pace of games. We'd only have one game going at a time, and maybe 2 games per semester. I wanted some more, particularly during the summer, when I had some time to spare. Around this time, I joined Flight Rising, and one of the first forum threads I saw was a mafia game. I had to join. I made some wonderful friends by being beautifully cursed out. I really enjoyed that community, but it was also a forum adjacent to the Flight Rising game and I felt weird that I didn't really prioritize Flight Rising itself as a game over its forums. This, combined with the fact that MIT games were increasing in frequency and variety led me to kind of filter my way out of Flight Rising's community and focus on MIT.

More recently, I've been on Eagle Time, trying to revive the mafia community there. There's a lot of overlap between the people there and the people on the MSPA forums, and I've kind of come full circle in terms of mafia communities I've joined and left. I'm GMing a game over there, kind of trying to bring some of MIT's tools and tricks to other communities. Also, after signing up for this very championship, I'm reconnecting with my old FR friends and I'm getting really pumped for this thing.

16) Secondhand Revenant

REPRESENTING: Mafia Universe

NATIONALITY: US

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): Forum Mafia 2016ish?

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: MU

BIO:
    Hi! I didn't expect to need this! I've only really been playing actual forum mafia for the past couple of years, having played a not exactly mafia game before that and some mafia irl as a party game. In those couple years played quite a lot, enjoy the game, anyways that's it thanks

17) Zack

REPRESENTING: CivFanatics

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2009

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: CFC, Org, MU, POG, others

BIO:

3. Bookmark ISO #3
    Timezone
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia

If a Voyeur exists in the game, the following clarification will be added to their role PM:

Note that you will not see your own action in your results.

4. Bookmark ISO #4
    Timezone
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia
    Instructions to fit in, have everybody like you, and always be happy:
    • Only post/talk about the game in this thread. Don't PM other players, unless you are mafia and wish to talk with your teammates. Also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • Don't try to use the form of your role PM. So a screenshot of your role PM would be cheating.
    • You are not allowed to change your avatar, location or any other profile info during game in any way that could be construed as hinting at your role.
    • This is a game of lying. Players are expected to lie. No statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. As an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • If we believe you to bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill.
    • If you have any questions about rules, send a PM to your host. Avoid asking questions to the host in the thread.
    • Don't ever refer to private communications with the Game Host.
    • If you should ever require a replacement, PM Lissa and stop posting in the thread.
    • No hydra'ing / multi-accounting is allowed. Do not share your account with anyone else.
    • Treat your fellow players with respect. Hostility will not be tolerated.

Refer to this post for the complete, standard ruleset for mafia games.

I will repeat this particular rule once more in big letters to make sure you understand:

DO NOT EVER REFERENCE THIS GAME OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME THREAD. YOU SHOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME WHATSOEVER ON YOUR HOME SITE. IF PEOPLE ASK YOU QUESTIONS, TELL THEM YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE GAME AND LINK THEM TO THIS THREAD.

5. Bookmark ISO #5
    Game Information »
    Season 5, Game 9: 17 Short Films About Mafia [The Mafia Championship]: Game Information!

This is an automated game of Mafia.

Setup - 17 Players

SETUP DETAILS FOR 2X5

This is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies.

Column 1 Column 2
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Goon
    Mafia Role Cop
    Row A Town Even Night Vigilante
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Voyeur
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Tracker
    Row B Town Even Night Vigilante
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Voyeur
    Row C Town Tracker
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Tracker
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Voyeur
    Row D Town Tracker
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Voyeur
    Town Jack of All Trades*
    Town Motion Detector
    Row E Town Doctor
    Town Jack of All Trades*
    Town Doctor
    Town Roleblocker
    Town Motion Detector

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

Method for randing:
    First you randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup. I.e. if you randed 2 and B then you'd get the following setup:

Mafia Goon, Mafia Goon, Mafia Goon, Mafia Role Cop
    vs.
    Town Even Night Vigilante, Town Jailkeeper, Town Voyeur, 10 Vanilla Townies

So the general idea is that as a townie, you know you're up against one of 2 possible mafia team compositions. And as a mafia you know you're up against one of 5 possible town team compositions. The more powerful the mafia team is, the more power is given to the town team, naturally.

Important setup notes:
    • The mafia's factional kill must be assigned to a single member of their team each night. This means that the mafia's factional kill can, for example, be blocked by a Town Jailkeeper or tracked by a Town Tracker.
    • None of the included roles can self-target, including the protective roles.
    • Doctors, Jailkeepers, and Roleblockers are not allowed to target the same players on consecutive nights.
    • The Even Night Vigilante may only shoot on even nights (i.e. Night 2, Night 4, etc.).
    • The Voyeur's own action will not show up in their result.
    • There are no night 0 actions (aka pre-game actions).

Role explanations:
    Please go to this page to read about the different roles if you're unfamiliar with them: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...oles-Modifiers
    • Majority will be in effect starting Day 2. Day 2 onward will end the instant a majority is reached.
    • Town wins when all threats to Town have been eliminated.
    • Mafia factions win when they achieve Parity and all other evil factions have been eliminated at any time.
    • Votes are not automatically locked at LYLO.
    • No Lynching is enabled. Vote for No Lynch to forgo a lynch that Day.
    • Mafia factional kills are mandatory. Mafia must submit a factional kill each night, or a player outside their faction will be chosen at random.
    • Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia may communicate at any time.
    • Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.

Phase Lengths

Days are 36 hours in length. Nights are 12 hours in length.

Players

@Aldax
    @Asek
    @beruru
    @danikai
    @DansGame89
    @divagreen
    @Infected_alien8_
    @jdarksun
    @Mexal
    @mhsmith0
    @M Plus 7
    @mtamburini
    @Necrominus
    @Ro3
    @RobotNerd277
    @Secondhand Revenant
    @Zack

FAQ

Are you unsure about how actions are processed or how roles interact with each other? Then read more here:

ORDER OF OPERATIONS

Night actions are processed in this order:

Strongman kills
    Roleblocks
    Jails
    Doctors
    Bodyguards
    Kills
    Investigations
    Backups

When an action was submitted during the night will never matter when the actions are processed.

ACTION FEEDBACK

These are the results you will get when you submit certain actions.

Non-investigative roles when they submit an action (they also receive this if they are roleblocked):

Your action on Player A was received.
    Investigative roles (Tracker, Cop, etc.) when roleblocked:

Your action on Player B did not return any results.
    Trackers when tracking a person that didn't visit anyone (or if they targeted a Ninja):

Player C did not visit anyone.
    Watchers when watching a person that wasn't visited by anyone (or only visited by a Ninja):

Player D was not visited by anyone.
    Alignment Cop when investigating a town-aligned player (or a Godfather):

Player E is Town
    Watcher when watching a person that was visited by multiple people:

Player F was visited by Player G, Player H, Player I
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I submit my action?
    Use the form below the game thread. If your role has a night action, the form will only be visible during night phases. It's not possible to submit actions in advance of the night phase.

What does it mean if the Mafia Host says that night kills are assigned?
    In games with this setting turned on, the member of the mafia team that made the most recent night kill submission will be the one assigned to the kill, which means that the kill can be blocked if a Town Roleblocker or Town Jailkeeper target the mafia player in question. Similarly, the kill can be tracked and watched by Town Trackers and Town Watchers. If this setting isn't turned on, then it doesn't matter who the last person to submit the mafia kill is, as the kill is unblockable and untrackable in this case.

Where do I find example role PM's?
    This thread contains example role PM's for all roles currently supported by the Modbot as well as information on the various modifiers. Here you will find the answers to a lot of questions not covered in this FAQ section.

Which roles can self-target?
    Only Watchers are able to use their ability on themselves at night. This means that Doctors or Jailkeepers aren't able to protect themselves, for example.

Which roles are not able to target the same players on consecutive nights?
    Doctors, Jailkeepers, and Roleblockers are not allowed to target the same player twice in a row. Everyone else is, including Bodyguards. Note that this non-consecutive restriction still holds true even if one of these three roles were blocked the night before when targeting the person that they're attempting to target again.

What happens if Jailkeeper A and Jailkeeper B or Roleblocker A and Roleblocker B target each other (and are not targetted by other blockers)?
    In the case of Jailkeepers, they will block and protect each other. In the case of Roleblockers, they also block each other. This means that the two players are trackable to each other that night by Trackers and Watchers. It also means that if one of them is mafia and happens to simultaneously be the one submitting the factional kill that night in a game with assigned kills, then this kill is blocked. This same principle applies to longer loops. I.e. in a A > B > C > D > A loop, everyone is blocked.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Jailkeeper A?
    Jailkeeper A will be blocked in this scenario. Refer to the order of operations: Roleblocks process before jails.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Player C?
    As stated above, roleblocks process before jails, so Roleblocker B will successfully block Player C. I.e. Jailkeeper A will fail to block Roleblocker B, but will still protect Roleblocker B.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Jailkeeper B and Jailkeeper B targets Jailkeeper C (who isn't targeting any of the former two)?
    In this case, Jailkeeper A would prevent Jailkeeper B's block from occuring, meaning that Jailkeeper C's action is not blocked.

If an X-Shot role is blocked while using a shot, do they lose that shot forever?
    Yes. A 1-shot Vigilante being blocked while attempting to kill someone will not have their shot refunded.

If someone with a Strongman modifier kills Player A who is protected by Bodyguard B, who dies?
    Player A will die, and Bodyguard B will survive.

Can a mafia team choose not to kill anyone during a night?
    The host can determine this using the Mafia Factional Kill setting. Kills can be mandatory, optional, or disabled altogether.

The default is No. The mafia factional kill is compulsory. This is done in order to avoid deadlocked games where the town keeps no lynching and the mafia refuses to submit a kill. If the game has assigned kills, it will be randomized which member of the team is carrying out the kill.

If there is only one mafia member left in a game without assigned kills, can the mafia factional kill then be blocked and/or tracked?
    No.

Can the mafia submit a kill for one of their own members?
    No.

If I kill someone, does their night action, if they have one, still succeed?
    Yes, killing someone doesn't prevent them from performing their night action (unless they investigated someone, in which case they will not receive a report). Refer to the order of operations: All kills happen at the end of the night, and everyone pulls the trigger simultaneously.

Can individual night actions be proxied on mafia teams?
    No. If the mafia team has a Mafia Roleblocker, for example, and they want to use this role's action, then the player occupying that slot must submit the action themselves.

If a Lover is shot during the night, while the other Lover is protected that night, does the other Lover still die?
    Yes. It's not possible to prevent a Lover from dying of love sickness.

If a Bodyguard protects Lover A, while Lover B is shot during that same night, what happens?
    A dies of love sickness and Bodyguard lives.

If there are any Innocent Childs in the game, are these confirmed in the thread right when the game begins?
    No. Innocent Childs are able to decide themselves when or if they wish to have the Modbot confirm their role and alignment in the thread. Note that this is exclusively a day action and that it can take up to one minute for the Modbot to process the action.

What results are Alignment Cops, Full Cops and Role Cops given if they investigate a Godfather or a Miller?
    Alignment Cops are told "Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia" for Millers. Full Cops are told "Vanilla Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia Goon" for Millers. Role Cops are told "Godfather" for Godfathers and "Miller" for Millers.

Can Role Cops tell the difference between a Vanilla Town and Mafia Goon?
    No. They are told "Vanilla" when investigating either of these two roles.

If I roleblock someone with a Bulletproof Vest, will that nullify the effect of the vest?
    No. Bulletproof Vests are passive modifiers that cannot be blocked from working.

If I roleblock Masons, Neighbors or Lovers with out of thread communication privileges, can I prevent them from talking at night?
    No.

If I roleblock a Godfather, will they still be revealed as being town-aligned to Alignment Cops and Full Cops that night?
    Yes.

USING THE SOFTWARE

Are you wondering about how to vote, submit night actions or multi-isolate players? Read about this and more here:

VOTING BBCODES

Our forum votes for someone by using the vote tags: [V]Thingyman[/V]. Preview:

##Vote Thingyman

Make sure that you spell out the full, correct name. Abbreviations or misspelled names will not be registered by the Modbot.

To unvote, use the tags: [UNV][/UNV] . When unvoting you do not need to enter the name of the person that you are unvoting. Preview:

##Unvote

VOTING BUTTONS

You can also quickly vote for someone by clicking on the box with a checkmark icon, which will bring up an alphabetized dropdown containing the names of living players:

This will insert [V][/V] tags with the name of the player you selected in the dropdown, perfect every time.

Click the empty checkbox button to insert [UNV][/UNV].

SUBMITTING NIGHT ACTIONS

If you have a night action, simply submit this at night by scrolling to the bottom of the game thread. Here you will find a night action form like this:

Click the dropdown and select the player whom you wish to use your night action on. You can change it as many times as you wish before the deadline expires.

CALLING UP A VOTECOUNT

Votecounts will appear automatically at various intervals, but you can also call up votecounts yourself by following these steps:

First, you need to apply to join "Mafia Game Hosts" under Permission Groups.

Second, once your request has been approved, you will be able to call up votecounts by simply pushing the "Post Votecount" button in the top right corner of any game thread that you'd like an updated votecount for.

VIEWING VOTE HISTORY

There are three ways to access the vote history for any game.

1. Click on the "Vote History" button in the top right corner of the game thread:

2. Click on the "View Vote History" link, which accompanies all votecounts:

3. Click on Modbot in the top forum menu. This will give you a list of ongoing and completed games:

Next, simply click on "Vote History" to view all votes for that game.

Following any of the above three steps will bring you to an overview like this one:

Click on a Voter's username to view all of the votes by their slot.

Click on a Target's username to view all of the votes for their slot.

ISOLATING A PLAYER'S POSTS

If you wish to read a player's posts in isolation, simply click on "ISO" in the top right corner of one of that player's posts in the relevant thread as illustrated here:

Alternatively, you can access a player's posts in isolation by clicking on the number next to "Replies:" in the forum lobby.

Doing so will pull up a window listing the post counts for everyone who has posted in that thread. You access someone's posts in isolation by simply clicking on the number next to "Posts:" for that person.

The ISO view itself has Quote and Multi-Quote buttons inside it, which will make it very easy to quickly quote a lot of a player's posts for analysis or commentary:

MULTI-ISOLATING

If you wish to read not just one player's posts, but you want to ISO multiple players, then click the "Multi ISO" button to the left of "Game Tools" and select the players in question as shown here:

MULTI-QUOTING WHILE THREAD IS LOCKED

Note that you can multi-quote posts from even locked game threads. This is useful for when you wish to reread the game and do work during night phases.

After quoting the relevant posts, you simply open a different, opened thread and press "Go Advanced". Then add the quotes to your post by clicking the prompt below the post area as shown here:

Now, of course you can't post your work in the game thread while the thread is locked, but you can copy paste and save your work to a local file or the cloud and have it ready to post the very next day phase (if you're still alive, that is).