Thread: To my friends at MafiaUniverse

1. ISO #1
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    To my friends at MafiaUniverse

Greetings, everyone.

Over the past three years it has been my honor and privilege to serve on the moderator team, helping write the code of conduct, and adding to it and tweaking it over the years to make sure it actually works better. I have also served as a leader on the moderator team, helping to find, train, and coordinate the moderator staff. I also had the privilege of hosting a number of games that were well designed during the champs tournaments, and some not so well designed games of my own. And then I inexplicably became a red. Thingy is still not sure why, and I agree.

Basically, what I am saying is: I did... stuff.

I know you're skeptical. I know you never see me these days, and I am like a shadow creeping in the darkness, but I was totally a part of this town! I just, uncharacteristically, didn't speak a lot in public. And when I did, hoo boy. You never could get me to shut up. And then I would vanish again. (Much like this announcement.)

But about the whole never seeing me these days:

I have 'retired' from playing mafia several times, like a professional wrestler, it's always fake. Even when I meant it. But it's been quite a few months since I actually played, and I... don't miss it. And since we have a blue team that does an excellent job, I don't have to check on reports anymore, ever. And I don't miss that, either. And we have purples around to lead and manage the blue team, and look into adding more green team people. Stuff I do has become something that gets done when I am not around. Which is great timing, since my work in real life is sucking away the last bit of energy I have.

I just can't give this site my all anymore.

Without being in games, being personally involved in staff management, being needed for major emergencies, and not really having the time or energy to do this anymore, I realize that the Universe has been dropping hints.

So this is the State of The Universe, as I see it.

The community is a lot bigger than it was when Thingy began the site. A lot of people from a lot of different places playing games together, to keep the Mafia spirit alive, even though many of our own local sites end up dying due to lack of players, forum software changes, and baffling administrative decisions being made.

Many of us have very fond memories of playing games with our close friends, on a little site we can call our own. I know I sure do.

When those times came to an end, we could at least look to Mafia Universe as a place where we could have a second chance at fun and making friends. Which is ultimately the entire point of mafia, to me.

I wanted, from the moment I came on staff, to each day I served on it, to this day, and every day in the future, for Mafia Universe to be a place where people could come, have fun, make friends, and brighten up their lives.

It hasn't always been perfect and it hasn't always been easy. The ideal is great, living up to it is not automatic. More than just games happen on this site. It is about more than just playing well, or winning and losing. It is most definitely more than just stats.

I hoped that this idea would catch on like wildfire, and people would take it to heart. One of the things we try to do here when people don't live up to the ideal is to give people a reminder of what kind of site we wanted this to be, and give people sufficient chances to make the step up to that standard. We have our best games and best memories when we actually have fun, and aren't sniping at each other or being rude. That kind of stuff drives away people, and it's usually the people who are the most fun to play with, because they aren't doing that.

I just wanted to take one final opportunity to remind people why that higher standard exists. I know it can be difficult to live up to, especially in the heat of the moment, and most especially when someone else is not reaching that standard and directing flames at you. I know it is difficult and we're all only human. But the reward is a better site, a better community, and games where you actually want to sign up to the next one when the current game is done. People you actually look forward to playing with. Maybe even making friends.

That is the meaning behind everything I wanted for Mafia Universe. It is up to you to judge whether or not Mafia Universe has met such a standard. I hope it came close, for all that we put into it.

I fear I have spent too much time behind the curtain and not enough time actually in the games themselves on here, but it is my hope that the community we have built together has been able to bring you wonderful memories, lots of fun, and hopefully some friendships you wouldn't otherwise have had. If so, then I am proud of the community we have built together. If you care about this community, please do your best to personally uphold those standards, and be the example you want to see in others.

MafiaUniverse has a bright future, but only if we all try to make that future bright. It is not automatic. It is up to each of us to 'be the example'.

As for me, I may not vanish entirely, but I am at peace with retirement from mafia play, and also, retirement from bearing the mild burdens of being a volunteer staffer. Perhaps I will host a game for you later this year as a sort of going away party, and to re-live some of the best times.

And now my watch is ended.

Thank you for the honor of representing you over these many years. Please remember to take care of yourself, and take care of one another.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; July 30th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

2. ISO #2
    tokophobe lute's Avatar Head Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Other Games
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    "THERE ARE NO INNOCENTS! Not anymore! Any one of them could have stood up and said, 'No, we will not behave like animals anymore!'"

3. ISO #3
    Thanks for all the hard work you've put in over the years! Don't become too reclusive boo. You're one of my favorite people to chat with on the internet.
    Last edited by Shad; July 30th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

4. ISO #4
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokerNet
    You're a lovely person, and I'm sure people won't forget the work you've done here as long as MU stands.
    The true GOAT of WOT posts!
    While I see myself retired from Mafia, I'd definitely join a mash hosted by you in future, and pray to get a role with ITA NPCs.
    "I've mislynched more than 9,000 fellow townies in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to vote last in F3 and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ~ NAC Jordan

5. ISO #5
    Most Likely Asleep Secondhand Revenant's Avatar
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    For what it's worth, even when you weren't quite as apparent in running things, knowing you were around was a somewhat comforting thought from the confidence I had in knowing you ran things well. So I'm quite sad to see you step down but I'm glad it doesn't have to be a permanent goodbye
    Come wayward souls,
    Who wander through the darkness,
    There is a light for the lost and the meek.

Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas
    You don't have to do anything except die
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash
    Look upon my works ye low hanging fruit and despair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash
    I'm not accusing you of meta

I'm accusing you of a wolfiest

The most heinous of crimes

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    A shoo-in for my Mafia Universe Mount Rushmore.

Thank you for all you've done to make this forum and this community what it is today.

Best of luck in all that you do.
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

7. ISO #7
    Community
    2+2
    There is no one better.

I love you, @Askthepizzaguy. You're a true friend. Thanks for everything you've done.

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    Community
    PersonalityCafe
    This site would not have been what it is now without you.
    Thanks for all you've done.

Here's a pizza for you
    Last edited by Moonious; July 30th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.

9. ISO #9
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs

thanks for hosting
    Lenny - Today at 10:08 AM
    Atpg sometimes the paragraphs you write are pretty good

Looking to waste an afternoon? Vamos Cartagena - Football Manager 2018 AAR (in progress)

10. ISO #10
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#9)
    gg pizza

thanks for hosting
    There's a lot more I want to say here but I feel like this is pretty appropriate, all things considered.
    Lenny - Today at 10:08 AM
    Atpg sometimes the paragraphs you write are pretty good

Looking to waste an afternoon? Vamos Cartagena - Football Manager 2018 AAR (in progress)

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    Community
    PersonalityCafe
    Also +1 ty for that final (but only as a red user) multiparagraphed post

12. ISO #12
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give smith another day mhsmith0's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    PlayDiplomacy, MafiaScum
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

I've always enjoyed my chats with you and I wish you all the best going forward. Thanks for everything!
    Life is simply unfair... don't you think?
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=mhsmith0

BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me

13. ISO #13
    Banned
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    Magic The Gathering Salvation
    Mafia Universe had its roots as a quicktopic...anybody remember quicktopics?

https://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/8scW...9u?m1=-1&mN=-1
    Last edited by lulz; July 30th, 2018 at 02:07 PM.

14. ISO #14
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    scrambledwowee
    You were my favorite admin bc you never yelled at me

15. ISO #15
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

Hopefully we'll meet up soon IRL.

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Thanks, Pizza. I've been gone a while due to work, and this is my return post. Coincidence I found your goodbye on the front page of new posts. Best wishes.

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    debate.org
    AKA
    Kaede Akamatsu
    "Virtuoso, you wifomy piece of chocolate
    -Insomnia in mentor/mentee DVC

18. ISO #18
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give town rand Dp101's Avatar Flake Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

19. ISO #19
    Community
    Hong Kong SuperModel
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I will miss you and won't forget

20. ISO #20
    Community
    DragonMount
    You already know how I feel mr pizza guy, so no point in typing it up

Hope we keep in touch! You deserve all the happiness the world has to offer. MU was truly blessed to have you
    i had a good run playing horses in my mind
    left my heart out somewhere running
    wanting strangers to be mine
    memory's a sacred meat that's drying all the time
    on a hillside I remember, i am loving losing life

21. ISO #21
    Community
    Gamefaqs

We've never met, but I have heard a lot about you.

What you described is exactly what I have gotten out of this site! Amazing experiences and tons of new friends.

Thank you for everything!

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    5AF

Thanks for your time, your talents, and your pizza recipe

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    Town of Salem
    @Askthepizzaguy Although I don't really know you, thanks for the great work! Good luck in your future endeavors!

24. ISO #24
    I'm sorry I wasn't able to see this while on vacation but thank you for everything Pizza!

I want you to know you've been one of the reasons I've enjoyed being - and even wanted to be on the mod team. Good luck to your future endeavors!

Also some of the paragraphs you write are good.

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will ♫
    AKA
    Quick
    Hmm... Now I am wondering if I didn't advance because people don't like playing with me. It is actually a plausible reason.
    Retired

26. ISO #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#25)
    Hmm... Now I am wondering if I didn't advance because people don't like playing with me. It is actually a plausible reason.
    I don't even know you, but I know that everyone on this forum seems pretty accepting of everyone, and I doubt very much that there would be people that they would single out. I've played with people before that are grating, and abrasive. It's just a play style, and everyone is their own person in games. Probably you are taking this into too much consideration. Most people don't care how you play in mafia. It's a part of the game to have people of all different personalities, abrasive or relaxed or whatever. There's nothing to worry about

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will ♫
    AKA
    Quick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz (#26)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#25)
    I don't even know you, but I know that everyone on this forum seems pretty accepting of everyone, and I doubt very much that there would be people that they would single out. I've played with people before that are grating, and abrasive. It's just a play style, and everyone is their own person in games. Probably you are taking this into too much consideration. Most people don't care how you play in mafia. It's a part of the game to have people of all different personalities, abrasive or relaxed or whatever. There's nothing to worry about
    Uh, ok.
    Retired

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    UTC-10:00
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    @Askthepizzaguy: I’ve not been here 12 months and I don’t think I’ve ever had any interactions with you that I recall and I feel the worse for that being the case. Everything you said in your post reflects the best of this site and lofty heights to which it aspires. I’ll confess, I was stupid enough to start thinking that I was the only one that saw the site that way and never in the time I’ve been here have I been so inspired as I am having read all that you’ve articulated here. May I be so bold as to seek your permission to use some of what you’ve said above in my signature as a personal reminder of the values that I want to uphold?

29. ISO #29
    WIFOM Guy Logic's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    Yakostovian, Planet-Man
    Pizza, while I never want to see anyone leave, I always want people to be the happiest they can be. If that means you have to leave to be happier, then my selfish side must let you go.

When I began playing mafia with and against you, I had thought I had peaked at my personal best in skill level. In reality, I had no idea how much there was to learn, and the majority of it I learned from you.

You are an inspiration and mentor. I wish you well, and hope that you take your passion and energy with you in all endeavors going forward.

It's been wonderful knowing you, so don't be a stranger. Thanks again for all that you have done.

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    @Askthepizzaguy: I’ve not been here 12 months and I don’t think I’ve ever had any interactions with you that I recall and I feel the worse for that being the case. Everything you said in your post reflects the best of this site and lofty heights to which it aspires. I’ll confess, I was stupid enough to start thinking that I was the only one that saw the site that way and never in the time I’ve been here have I been so inspired as I am having read all that you’ve articulated here. May I be so bold as to seek your permission to use some of what you’ve said above in my signature as a personal reminder of the values that I want to uphold?
    You have my permission. Thanks for letting me know this is the tradition you wish to personally keep alive.

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Pizza, while I never want to see anyone leave, I always want people to be the happiest they can be. If that means you have to leave to be happier, then my selfish side must let you go.

When I began playing mafia with and against you, I had thought I had peaked at my personal best in skill level. In reality, I had no idea how much there was to learn, and the majority of it I learned from you.

You are an inspiration and mentor. I wish you well, and hope that you take your passion and energy with you in all endeavors going forward.

It's been wonderful knowing you, so don't be a stranger. Thanks again for all that you have done.
    I am touched by your comments, and everyone else's as well.

Since my possible going away game I might want to host is Order of the Stick themed (leaning heavily that way) I hope you will be there, seeing as that's the site you come from.

No idea when it will be.

32. ISO #32
    WIFOM Guy Logic's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    Yakostovian, Planet-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#31)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic (#29)

I am touched by your comments, and everyone else's as well.

Since my possible going away game I might want to host is Order of the Stick themed (leaning heavily that way) I hope you will be there, seeing as that's the site you come from.

No idea when it will be.
    Drop a mention, and I shall endeavor to be there, regardless of theme.

33. ISO #33
    Thanks for all you've done! You're a good egg. I still remember the very first forum game I spectated. It was 2015 Champs, game 3. I was railing Banks. You had an absolutely phenomenal game, and you are a big part of what hooked me into forum mafia. I hope life treats you splendidly.

34. ISO #34
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherguy (#33)
    Thanks for all you've done! You're a good egg. I still remember the very first forum game I spectated. It was 2015 Champs, game 3. I was railing Banks. You had an absolutely phenomenal game, and you are a big part of what hooked me into forum mafia. I hope life treats you splendidly.
    I was, in turn, inspired by a forumgoer who had a penchant for lying as town and was the first one on my forum to claim being the town detective as a vanilla townie, in one of the first games we even had such a role. Which of course fooled the scums in that game, because who else would claim to be the cop?

I am just glad the extra spin I added to the idea proved entertaining to someone.

Now forum mafia has evolved to the point where cop cover is anticipated, and sometimes, the cop fakes his own peeks. The former is a very interesting idea, the latter is.... *shudders* a recipe for a very frustrating game for at least one, if not every other townie player. It belongs in the discard bin, mayhaps...

35. ISO #35
    Community
    murdermystery@gmail
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#1)
    I will host a game for you later this year as a sort of going away party, and to re-live some of the best times.
    Looking forward to playing in your next Ultra Supreme Sized Mash when you feel the fire and have the time

Cheers bud! All the best

36. ISO #36
    Community
    DragonMount
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#34)
    and sometimes, the cop fakes his own peeks
    Pizza confirmed in antspew
    i had a good run playing horses in my mind
    left my heart out somewhere running
    wanting strangers to be mine
    memory's a sacred meat that's drying all the time
    on a hillside I remember, i am loving losing life

37. ISO #37
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give smith another day mhsmith0's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    PlayDiplomacy, MafiaScum
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#34)
    and sometimes, the cop fakes his own peeks
    Pizza confirmed in antspew
    I thought this was a Pizza thread not a BATMAN thread
    Life is simply unfair... don't you think?
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=mhsmith0

BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me

38. ISO #38
    Community
    The Org