Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Mod Team Q&A

Mod Q&A

Hello! We mods have decided to host a Q&A! That means you'll get to ask the Blues, Teals, and Purples about all those things you have wondered about. Over the last few months, it's become apparent to the mod team that there's a sense of lacking or disconnect when it comes to how the mod team operates, and how the user base understands how the mod team operates.

The goal of this thread is for us, as a team, to sit down with the community and come to better understand each other. We want to de-mystify the process and let members of the moderation team interact one-on-one with the community.

Our aim is to keep this as informal as possible. In order for that to happen, this thread needs to feel like two people sitting down over drinks who want to understand each other's points of view. Our goal is to get the mod team to talk about things in a genuine way, in a real way. What we would like to avoid is two adversaries sitting down across a conference room table thinking of ways to bait or trap the other. The aim is for the mod team and the rest of the community to collectively feel comfortable with letting their walls down and putting forward our best attempts at communicating productively.

Questions that lead to constructive criticism are good. Disagreement is good. Passionate arguments are good. That being said, we'd like to ensure that this thread remains civil and respectful to everyone - this endeavor is more likely to succeed if we are able to acknowledge that we're (mostly) all human here, and we are able to communicate better in a relaxed, non-hostile environment.

So this is a bit of an experiment. We'd really like to see it work; it will take effort from everyone, and we believe that we are all capable of conducting a conversation where we can respect each other. If it doesn't work, we're not going to try to force it and will simply shut it down.

Here are a few sample questions that we think would lead to productive, informative conversations:

• Who's in charge of what? What do the different colors actually do?
    • How are decisions made?
    • What happens when I make a report?
    • How much is there a sense of institutional memory?

Questions that aren't going to fly:

• Why was X banned?
    • What are you going to do about flagrant mod bias?
    • Why are bans so arbitrary?

We're going to get into some challenging issues and a healthy debate is good, but we're not going to get into specific moderator decisions for privacy reasons; we're aiming for a discussion about policy at large. While we're going to talk about things people take issue with, we won't be answering questions that assume a negative premise in order to keep the thread constructive. If someone is confused or uncertain about any particular operation that we do and never got around to asking for any reason, this is an opportunity for us to help clarify and clear the air.

We're going to kick this off with a post about coachings, warnings, and infractions, which are terms thrown around a lot which we think a lot of people don't have a specific understanding of.
    Lenny - Today at 10:08 AM
    Atpg sometimes the paragraphs you write are pretty good

Looking to waste an afternoon? Vamos Cartagena - Football Manager 2018 AAR (complete!)

2. ISO #2
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs

In general, when you have an interaction with a moderator where they're moderating you, it's going to be some kind of nudge towards following the rules.

We break it down into coachings, warnings, and infractions. Note that while these are fairly delineated categories, they don't have any real "weight", since all three are just different versions of talking to you. There's absolutely no "formula" where 2 coachings + 3 warnings = an infraction, or 5 infractions = a ban. When a user gets banned, each one is contextual, discussed with the whole team, and usually a holistic decision based on a user's broad history.

Coachings are mild, informal, and usually come at the issue from a perspective of education. Inviting the user to read the rules, reminding them that certain rules exist. It can be as simple as a mod pinging a user on Discord and going "hey, remember it's not cool to ask for a sub in the game thread. PM the game host privately instead." A coaching can be given for something that's not actually over the line going by the rules as written, but approaching the line.

Warnings are more formal, and come at it from a perspective of "this is what we need to see you change." It's either something a user should know, or something they've been talked to about before, or something pretty egregious. The primary goal for a warning isn't education, it's getting the user to change their behavior. Warnings are more formal; a user will get a PM explicitly telling them they've received one.

Infractions are when a user has stepped over the line in such a way that they've demonstrated a lack of respect for the rules, either through ignorance, malice, or hubris. An infraction will be for a certain number of points. The points have no real "weight"; they're a bookkeeping method for the mod team. There's no consequence to having 2 points vs. 1, other than having more points is a greater indication of the seriousness of the situation. If you get an infraction, the implicit message should be that you're now on the table for a break from the site. This will usually be explicitly said in the message you get.

Depending on the severity, coachings and warnings are often discussed among the team first, though there are also occasions where there's precedent, or an incident is clear enough that a mod will act on their own to carry out the action. Infractions and bans are always discussed in-depth, where thoughts from all mods available are voiced discussing everything from the severity of infraction to the length of ban to procuring more information and going over it to ensure the correct decision is made, after which a conclusion (often a compromise) is made and the moderation action is carried out by the first mod available.

That's just to get people started, to get people into the mindset of what kind of discussion we're trying to have here. Obviously with everything that's been going on recently there will be heavier and deeper discussion on what we do and how everything operates in a more philosophical way than just the sheer mechanics - and that would be encouraged! We've also just put out a new policy with emphasis on our stance on harassment that you can view in its entirety there, which should help aid parts of that discussion as well.

The entire mod team is going to be individually answering questions, but please try not to address your question to a specific mod. Part of our hope for this is literally for the mod team and users to get to know each other better, and to that end we want to discourage people from pinging out a familiar mod or one with a lot of public presence. It's also a chance to let some of our moderators usually heavily involved in the back-end of things see the light of day and experience some human interaction.

Looking to waste an afternoon? Vamos Cartagena - Football Manager 2018 AAR (complete!)

3. ISO #3
    Banned
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    scrambledwowee
    What is the point of Discord Moderators, because sometimes they seem to do stuff on MU too.
    Additionally, what do you expect us to do in order to appeal. I know we email the head mods, but what do we say?
    Last edited by Champ; September 30th, 2018 at 12:28 PM.

4. ISO #4
    Lost Weasley Brother Allundberg's Avatar
    Community
    PokerNet
    Why does old infractions show up on ppls profiles after they "ran out"? I understand the infractions are used for more severe cases, but I think to have that "brandmark" on ur profile after u have proven that u changed isn´t really necessary. Atleast I feel ashamed of mine.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    PokerNet
    Quote Originally Posted by Allundberg (#4)
    Why does old infractions show up on ppls profiles after they "ran out"? I understand the infractions are used for more severe cases, but I think to have that "brandmark" on ur profile after u have proven that u changed isn´t really necessary. Atleast I feel ashamed of mine.
    lol apperently this is not a thing. just checked. Can only see my own infractions
    GJ!

6. ISO #6
    Most Likely Asleep Secondhand Revenant's Avatar
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    In the harassment policy update there is a point about what someone has done to address the harassment themselves. What measures do you expect people to take? If they didn't take them then what? It kind of comes off as a set up for 'Well you didn't do enough'
    Come wayward souls,
    Who wander through the darkness,
    There is a light for the lost and the meek.

Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas
    You don't have to do anything except die
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash
    Look upon my works ye low hanging fruit and despair!
    I'm not accusing you of meta

I'm accusing you of a wolfiest

The most heinous of crimes

7. ISO #7
    Banned
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    Magic The Gathering Salvation
    Why is it ok to call call/insinuate other people retarded in Discord?

8. ISO #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Allundberg (#5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allundberg (#4)
    lol apperently this is not a thing. just checked. Can only see my own infractions
    GJ!

yeah, the profile infraction history thing shouldn't be on broadcast. if you ever see otherwise, that's our bad and we ought to fix that

9. ISO #9
    Fair enough DaveDob's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    DailyMafia/MiniMafia/MU/SMAS
    What is the point of Discord Moderators, because sometimes they seem to do stuff on MU too.
    Discord mods have their emphasis on discord and their operations. Lately there's been a lot of stuff that we've been coming together with and have needed the extra hands from us on forum duties. So yeah, they will be doing stuff on the forum as well but their attention and focus is discord as the primary.
    “DaveDob is the best player in the zoom” -Manti 2018

10. ISO #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ (#3)
    is a hot dog a sandwich
    Additionally, what do you expect us to do in order to appeal. I know we email the head mods, but what do we say?
    structural rebel, ingredient neutral here so yes

to the bit about appeals:

In general, for an appeal to be successful, it has to meet one or more of the following criteria:

1) The Moderator's infraction is not in response to a breaking of the forum rules or code of conduct, in other words, it was not actionable.

2) The Moderator's understanding of the events lacked context or understanding of provocation or any other mitigating factors which would have resulted in either a lesser infraction, a coaching, or none at all.

3) The Moderator's response to a rule break was in the judgment of the moderation team more severe than the action itself. For example, banning someone for saying someone is stupid on the first offense.
    so ideally in a response, you're looking to write toward one or more of these things

11. ISO #11
    Banned
    Community
    nowhere
    Personally most of the time I send in a report for harassment I want the reported player to see my point of view. I don't look for bans or infractions, I use the mods as a 3rd party communication in case the reported player and I don't get along. So the mutual gag order is a bit of barrier toward that. My fear is that unrestricted reports can lead to resentment between the reporter/reportee. This is less of a question and more of a worry, have the mods considered this? I'd keep that thought in mind while informing the reported person at least.

A very high if not all of my reports will be unrestricted, I want understanding between me and that person so I find that will be the best way. That's why I worry about that.
    Last edited by BenjiAO; September 30th, 2018 at 01:56 PM.

12. ISO #12
    Banned
    Community
    nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondhand Revenant (#6)
    In the harassment policy update there is a point about what someone has done to address the harassment themselves. What measures do you expect people to take? If they didn't take them then what? It kind of comes off as a set up for 'Well you didn't do enough'
    I don't know their feelings on the subject, but something I went through was a player accusing me of continuously harassing him. That player never asked me to stop talking to him, he never told me that what I said was hurting him. He never blocked me, and then instead of any of that he returned the favor and said awful things about me. I was still banned for the harassment, but I do hope that the context around those things help the mods make a decision.

I'd hope these are the type of things they mean. I'd like a mod response to your post SR, I'm intrigued.

13. ISO #13
    Mafia Backup Amrock sheepsaysmeep's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Community
    aops
    AKA
    sheep
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#1)
    Passionate arguments are good.
    hype
    Quote Originally Posted by moth (#67)
    Stop calling things natural. This world isnt natural. You can get butt implants and $#@!

14. ISO #14
    Mafia Backup Amrock sheepsaysmeep's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Community
    aops
    AKA
    sheep
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by smilefires (#10)
    For example, banning someone for saying someone is stupid on the first offense.
    this is a fragment

"banning someone for saying someone is stupid on the first offense" is a gerrund; it acsts as the subject
    you dont have a predicate

question how are staff chosen
    Quote Originally Posted by moth (#67)
    Stop calling things natural. This world isnt natural. You can get butt implants and $#@!

15. ISO #15
    Community
    Town of Salem
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

If there was a mod you could get rid of, not including yourself, and you had to pick one, who would it be?

Have you ever disagreed with a moderator decision? If so, which ones?

16. ISO #16
    Straight White Male wiggles1993's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    DailyMafia
    AKA
    The Potato King
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    What metrics do you look for in someone to become a staff member? What are red flags that count someone out.

Secondary, similar question about community contributors, how did people get that role, is there a time limit on it if they lack usefulness, is it something you arbitrarily apply, do you even seek out to reward people for their contributions anymore?
    つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

17. ISO #17
    Mantichora's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    MiniMafia
    What's the current structure of the blues/purples (reds if you're feeling fancy)? As in, who handles what, and what sort of vertical hierarchy is there?

Itd prob be cool to update the staff profile page with that info so it's more clear who to contact for what and when.

18. ISO #18
    Community
    MiniMafia // Smogon
    Quote Originally Posted by awesome5000 (#15)
    To all mods/staff:

If there was a mod you could get rid of, not including yourself, and you had to pick one, who would it be?

Have you ever disagreed with a moderator decision? If so, which ones?
    Not really going to entertain the "who's the worst mod" question - after being in modchat for a while literally every single mod comes in and does work. Everyone generally has a good perspective and the amount of gut checking that comes from each of them feels invaluable.

As a small aside, before I joined the mod team it felt like there were a couple mods that were "sleeper mods" or something of that sort - I didn't really feel their outward presence in discord that much and thought they sort of just sat on their hands with a blue name tag. Sometimes it's hard to see that they really are doing things and really do care.

Part of the reason we're having this Q & A!

I haven't fully disagreed with a moderator decision while I've been on staff. Often I'll give my opinion on things if I think we shouldn't step in or want to change how something is handled. Sometimes we'll disagree with something in the "kneejerk reaction" phase of something but never in how anything has been actually implemented. We're working together as a team and I think that "team" aspect has been the important part.
    Voxx GOAT

19. ISO #19
    Community
    MiniMafia // Smogon
    Definitely not the intention we're trying to give off there!

We're not expecting you to take matters into your own hands and solo hero the situation, and more wondering how you responded to the harassment. It helps us understand further context for both parties and what hasn't worked so far. Did you engage with the harasser, did you have a friend try to talk to them? Did you immediately put them on block? These aren't things you should feel like you HAVE to do and don't justify harassing behavior, but presenting us with a fuller picture let's us help you better.

This question was good - we'll probably slightly adjust the wording to make it more clear, and part of why we're opening up this dialog to begin with

3) Examples (if any) of how you have addressed the harassment yourself
    Does this feel better? @Secondhand Revenant
    Voxx GOAT

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    It is not, and we've actively tried to moderate use of that word for some time now. Obviously we're not perfect and we can't catch every use, and there's also a statute of limitations in play (we're not going to do a full server search for the word and speak to every single user who might have said it in 2016 or something), but if we see it, we're going to do something about it.

If you see it used in Discord in the flow of conversation, let a mod know.

21. ISO #21
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

We're not expecting you to take matters into your own hands and solo hero the situation, and more wondering how you responded to the harassment. It helps us understand further context for both parties and what hasn't worked so far. Did you engage with the harasser, did you have a friend try to talk to them? Did you immediately put them on block? These aren't things you should feel like you HAVE to do and don't justify harassing behavior, but presenting us with a fuller picture let's us help you better.

This question was good - we'll probably slightly adjust the wording to make it more clear, and part of why we're opening up this dialog to begin with

That answers my question perfectly thanks! And yeah I think that helps clear it up to me a lot and I think that wording makes it more clear. Unsure how necessary it is but maybe have that among general guidelines for what information you're looking for in those kinds of reports?
    Come wayward souls,

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#17)
    What's the current structure of the blues/purples (reds if you're feeling fancy)? As in, who handles what, and what sort of vertical hierarchy is there?

Itd prob be cool to update the staff profile page with that info so it's more clear who to contact for what and when.
    In a nutshell:

Reds/Administrators:
    Thingyman: Head honcho, has final say over major decisions (including staff hiring).
    Makaze: Database, site features, and all-around technical administrator. Has no official say in mod policy or decisions.
    NotACop: In charge of growth project and cross-site coordination. Has no official say in mod policy or decisions.
    Ampharos: Oversees moderation team/other staff and is Thingyman's general backup when unavailable. Also has final say on ban appeals if a user is not satisfied with the head moderators' decision.

Purples/Head Moderators:
    There is no difference in theory between what Newcomb and myself handle. Usually it depends on whichever one of us is available at the time (right now he's mostly not around for the next week or so for RL stuff). The purpose of head mods is to handle ban appeals and internally, provide direction to the mod team. The position is less of a vertical structure and more of a "first among equals" sort of deal with respect to the mod team as a whole.

Entirely separate from our duties as head mods, Newcomb's also been trying to streamline and optimize the various site rules and policies for some time now, and I am also in charge of the 2018 MU Awards as well as Mafia University.

Blues/Moderators:
    When available, there is functionally no difference in the duties of the blue mods. The exception to this is Lissa, who specializes in handling flake issues (no-shows for games, subouts, etc) and hosting issues in general. She is available to do behavioral modding in an emergency but otherwise a different member of the team covers it.

23. ISO #23
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Hmm. Other question about the new process.

In the gag order thing it talks about not talking about the report. Do you just mean strictly about the act of having reported and having a report open?

If it's broader than that I think that's too restrictive, people talk about events that affect them negatively to their friends. And people can easily talk about it before and after.

Also someone might encourage their friend to report something. How does this really account for that?

Also in general... if there's a gag order between two people doesn't that kind of spew it? Like if someone notices the gag order what are you supposed to do if someone guesses and asks you.

Like I get the general premise is probably avoid drama by someone talking about their report of someone else and how it's getting resolved but feel like there's a few issues
    Come wayward souls,

24. ISO #24
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    Smogon
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepsaysmeep (#14)
    Did this quote actually happen?

Lets get into language policy.

When is calling someone stupid worthy of any action?

Is it limited to in game? Does it have to be repeated harassment? Do you request that victims put the name-caller on ignore?

Free question to everyone: do you use the site language filter? Why?
    Last edited by billymills; September 30th, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
    I banned him because I got a strong soul read that he is not a good person

25. ISO #25
    Community
    2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Empoof (#19)

or:

3) Examples of how you have responded to the harassment
    ?

26. ISO #26
    Community
    MiniMafia

or:

?
    I like dropping the word "addressed". Feels weird.

27. ISO #27
    Community
    MiniMafia // Smogon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#26)
    Quote Originally Posted by soah (#25)

or:

?
    I like dropping the word "addressed". Feels weird.
    I dig it. Will edit that in a little later tonight.
    Voxx GOAT

28. ISO #28
    Community
    NAmafia (formerly NAdota)
    AKA
    fluffy rabbit
    can you reconsider the ban on my Homesite for s6

I'll just make them send me

29. ISO #29
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    What should users do about potential gray areas? Like say they feel they're being harassed but it's either minor or the harassment is being done in ways that are subtle. Would it be possible to talk to a mod beforehand about whether or not they should report it or is the stance if you feel you're being harassed report it no matter what?
    “Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.”
    ― Ishiro Honda

30. ISO #30
    Banned
    Timezone
    Community
    Magic The Gathering Salvation
    James2 was initially banned for running his Bastard game. It then turned out that his game was fully approved and the ban rescinded.

If there is really so much discussion about behaviors before mods take action then how was James 2 banned for running an approved game in the first place?

31. ISO #31
    Community
    MiniMafia
    What should users do about potential gray areas? Like say they feel they're being harassed but it's either minor or the harassment is being done in ways that are subtle. Would it be possible to talk to a mod beforehand about whether or not they should report it or is the stance if you feel you're being harassed report it no matter what?
    ime your first step is to confront the individual and attempt to sort your problems out like that. if that fails, or the situation escelates, cut contact from the individual. if that also fails, youve done more or less all you can, and seeking intervention could be necessary.

Relying on your support structure is always a play.

32. ISO #32
    • Why was X banned?
    • What are you going to do about flagrant mod bias?
    • Why are bans so arbitrary?

33. ISO #33
    Why do infractions take a year to expire, and stack extra years upon each new one? Seems incredibly unnecessary and way too long in my opinion, especially for a first infraction.

Why are you allowed to ban evade off of a self ban? It should either be handled the same way as a regular ban, as it is a ban, or be explicitly and exclusively listed as "can come back whenever they like," so that there is a direct precedent for how self bans work.

Edit: I feel like my word choice was more extreme than I intended for it to be.
    Last edited by EvanManManMan; September 30th, 2018 at 03:56 PM.

34. ISO #34
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe
    Personally most of the time I send in a report for harassment I want the reported player to see my point of view. I don't look for bans or infractions, I use the mods as a 3rd party communication in case the reported player and I don't get along. So the mutual gag order is a bit of barrier toward that. My fear is that unrestricted reports can lead to resentment between the reporter/reportee. This is less of a question and more of a worry, have the mods considered this? I'd keep that thought in mind while informing the reported person at least.

A very high if not all of my reports will be unrestricted, I want understanding between me and that person so I find that will be the best way. That's why I worry about that.
    This is a complicated question to answer.

Think I want to start by clarifying that the bar for something to fall under harassment, specifically, in a "take moderator action with regards to private conversations" capacity is very high; harassment is a specific and severe thing. This is absolutely not to discourage anyone from reporting something if you are unsure if it falls under this category or are doubting yourself. But I think there's a lot of misconceptions that moderating harassment in PMs means we're moderating any ordinary case of interpersonal conflict in PMs and that isn't true. Harassment is a fairly significant step above "not getting along". Our intent/scope in terms of moderating it isn't repairing relationships.

The gag order is to put a barrier in place against escalation of the situation and protect the person making the report. There might be some situations where it could be removed with the accuser's consent at some point along the line; I'm not going to pretend we can predict every possible situation that could come up under the umbrella of harassment.

I'm also going to explain why exactly unrestricted reporting vs. restricted reporting and the things that go with it exist, since I think it gives some relevant context. Banning someone without being able to show them what they did is something that carries fairly significant issues, and we recognize that. The gag order is, in large part, to protect an accuser from retaliation from the accused when the accused learns that the accuser is reporting them, while enabling us to actually talk with the accused about what they did.

I think a lot of this indirectly responds to the resentment concern but feel free to ask further if that's still something you're concerned about.

To respond a little more specifically to the rest of what you're asking, it doesn't sound like what you're referring to would fall under harassment. It's still something you can report, and if it happened in a public MU setting or as an extension of that, something we may be able to do something about. If you're having an uncomfortable dispute with someone and think us mediating would be helpful, we can try to help you in that capacity. But that's not really what the harassment policy is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#28799)
    she's hard defended 90% of the dead wolves and the whole thread still wants to wish her happy birthday

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    That would be a pretty suitable situation for making a restricted report, I think - you can talk with us about whether to make it unrestricted. We absolutely don't want anyone to hesitate to bring something to us because they're not sure if it constitutes harassment or are worried it's too mild.
    she's hard defended 90% of the dead wolves and the whole thread still wants to wish her happy birthday

36. ISO #36
    this is a fragment

"banning someone for saying someone is stupid on the first offense" is a gerrund; it acsts as the subject
    you dont have a predicate

question how are staff chosen
    grammar has never stopped me before. you're also talking to a linguist who thinks that sentence is fine as long as it conveys its meaning, even though as a copy editor it would bother me and make people cry about the death of language and stuff

a lot of people join staff of their own free will/desire to help with the workload. i'm fine saying i was approached after i started writing a thing or two for the site. for blue adds specifically, we've reached out to people for reasons of character or demonstrable mod records elsewhere, as several on our team mod some other places too, although some people have also approached us and we've been like :eyes:

37. ISO #37
    Fair enough DaveDob's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    DailyMafia/MiniMafia/MU/SMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanManManMan (#33)
    Why are you allowed to ban evade off of a self ban? It should either be handled the same way as a regular ban, as it is a ban, or be explicitly and exclusively listed as "can come back whenever they like," so that there is a direct precedent for how self bans work.
    If you want a self ban, we'll do that for you, but there's a limit to how much we're willing to do for you to enforce it if you're not willing to hold yourself to it. Ban evasion isn't treated in the same way because the issue isn't that we don't want you on the site, you're essentially evading the barriers you've put up yourself with a little of our help.
    “DaveDob is the best player in the zoom” -Manti 2018

38. ISO #38
    Timezone
    Community
    Quote Originally Posted by billymills (#24)

Is it limited to in game? Does it have to be repeated harassment? Do you request that victims put the name-caller on ignore?

No, that did not happen.

Calling someone stupid isn't OK, period. It's not going to get you banned, unless you have a fairly extensive history. But it'll generally get you coached.

I'll add that it's fine to call posts or actions stupid. "That was a pretty stupid idea" is fine. "That was a pretty stupid shot" is fine. "You're pretty stupid" is not.

39. ISO #39
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanManManMan (#33)
    Why do infractions take a year to expire, and stack extra years upon each new one? Seems incredibly unnecessary and way too long in my opinion, especially for a first infraction.
    it's kind of an arbitrary time thing, and a vestige of default vB settings. on some sites they use that system to autoban people when they hit X points within a certain amount of time, but we just kind of...never really customized it like that, because we don't do autobans except for those advertising spam accounts. so like, whether one of the forum's infraction records is sticking around on your profile after Y time doesn't really matter more than it's a record

40. ISO #40
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give town rand Dp101's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Realms Beyond
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    If a moderation situation involves a friend of a mod, is that mod removed from conversations about the issue? Or just encouraged to, or are treated like everyone else? Same goes for the opposite situation, if a mod dislikes someone who is being moderated. Essentially, are there safeguards to avoid bias in moderation? I'm not trying to accuse anyone of bias, just curious about the system.

41. ISO #41
    river city girl Ampharos's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    Smogon | Serenes Forest | EIMM
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggles1993 (#16)
    What metrics do you look for in someone to become a staff member? What are red flags that count someone out.

Secondary, similar question about community contributors, how did people get that role, is there a time limit on it if they lack usefulness, is it something you arbitrarily apply, do you even seek out to reward people for their contributions anymore?
    Since this is primarily my job now, I'll answer with what I typically look for/look to avoid.

Buzzwords I like to throw around for this sort of thing are "motivated", "high character", "mature", etc etc. The standards are stricter for blues/teals than they are for greens/oranges, given that the former have direct influence over user behavior while the latter simply perform necessary site functions, but someone who themselves has trouble following the code of conduct, or who can't be trusted to (for lack of better phrasing) not embarrass themselves while acting as a representative for the staff as a whole, probably wouldn't be a good fit.

For moderator candidates specifically a few big things I look for are kindness under pressure capacity for empathy. As I said in the bans thread, the overall moderation philosophy we operate under is largely a reformative one. It's very hard to help users reform unless one can empathize with said users. On top of that, being a moderator brings one under fire very frequently, and someone who loses their cool when other people do may not be a great fit for the job.

If my standards sound too high, you now know why new hires are so infrequent.

Community Contributors are in a bit of a weird holding pattern right now. The original purpose of the position was to aid NAC with inputting data into the old database - the reason they have a generalized title instead of being "data entry" is because (I believe) it was thought that the position could be further expanded to perform other site functions in the future/it just sounded better. Since then, some CCs (Xicor/Limestone? off the top of my head) were added specifically as wiki contributors, but nothing beyond that has been done with the position, and it's been in a weird spot since the database went down (I'll elaborate in a sec). Most of the older oranges were on a volunteer basis (that's how I got it), whereas later adds have been recruitment based. Once the database is back up it'll probably be a combination of the two. I don't really forsee any being added between now and then unless another function for the position is thought of.

Back in the day I don't think there was really a way to track whether or not an orange was doing things except by looking at their overall site activity, and I'm not sure any such activity read was ever followed up on. At the moment no action will be taken on activity because at the moment the position doesn't really do much - they weigh in on things in staffchat and assist Makaze with technical testing, but there's no database yet (obviously) - and I imagine the standards will be revised once the database goes live and we have a better idea of what we need out of the CCs.

A Community Contributor position, to my knowledge, has never been given out as a reward of any sort. We have the actual awards system for that. A staff position is a responsibility.
    DM Ampharos#1651 on Discord with any suggestions/comments/complaints/unwarranted compliments
    [6:42 AM] Makaze: people unironically liking amy's themes is tilting

42. ISO #42
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs

Just to keep you in the loop, we're passing this question off to @Ampharos due to some portions of it not really falling under our jurisdiction as mods.

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Oh, and one I forgot that's important for Discord Moderators especially: more active users are typically preferable over less active users, for obvious reasons.
    DM Ampharos#1651 on Discord with any suggestions/comments/complaints/unwarranted compliments

44. ISO #44
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#42)

Just to keep you in the loop, we're passing this question off to @Ampharos due to some portions of it not really falling under our jurisdiction as mods.
    I could delete this post but I want GH to live with the weight of his sins instead.

46. ISO #46
    tokophobe lute's Avatar Head Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Other Games
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#45)

I could delete this post but I want GH to live with the weight of his sins instead.
    a few big things I look for are kindness
    Virtue
    You don't need a reason to help people.

47. ISO #47
    Community
    PokerNet
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#38)

No, that did not happen.

Calling someone stupid isn't OK, period. It's not going to get you banned, unless you have a fairly extensive history. But it'll generally get you coached.

I'll add that it's fine to call posts or actions stupid. "That was a pretty stupid idea" is fine. "That was a pretty stupid shot" is fine. "You're pretty stupid" is not.
    I dont understand why its okay to go around and say "ur idea is stupid" or "ur shot is stupid" or the like. imo those kinda posts should also be discouraged. yes they should not be directly bans but its still a pretty lame way to talk to other players. (Yes I have used those kinda posts a ton. but that doesnt make it better)

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#45)

a few big things I look for are kindness
    gh is kicking my ass in fantasy football and this is my only outlet

49. ISO #49
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    Smogon
    Walrein said in the bans thread that it was policy to present a united front on decisions because division would make it more difficult to implement decisions. To me that means that some decisions are divisive enough that staff come down on both sides of the fence.

For me, it's hard to think up with moderator calls that would be divisive enough to produce a fence. Can you talk me through the process of communal decision? Do you guys look for compromise solutions? Is there an old example (I don't want to salt open wounds) of a decision that was really divisive?
    I banned him because I got a strong soul read that he is not a good person

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Quote Originally Posted by Allundberg (#47)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#38)

No, that did not happen.

I dont understand why its okay to go around and say "ur idea is stupid" or "ur shot is stupid" or the like. imo those kinda posts should also be discouraged. yes they should not be directly bans but its still a pretty lame way to talk to other players. (Yes I have used those kinda posts a ton. but that doesnt make it better)
    There's a fine line between the sort of thing you pointed out and calling someone, specifically them, stupid. The first is critiquing their play, or their opinion, or something that isn't directly related to them. Is it the most constructive language? No. Could there be ways of rewording your point to make it less coarse? Certainly. But it's not a direct personal attack, which is what the second line, the "you're stupid" is.

That's the line we've chosen to draw. It's attacking the argument (or action, or whatever) vs. directly attacking the person.