A Traitor Among TraitorsHosted By: Zork
Start Date: Sunday, March 17, 2019
SOD/EOD: 9am/9pm ET - (1pm/1am London time; 2pm/2am Central European time) (3-week Daylight Savings gap)
Phase Lengths: 36/12
Mechanics: Deadline lynch; always must lynch; never maj; ties randed; also see roleset.
Night-Only Chat: Only for non-Town in their private chat; revealed when Town has won or lost.
Spectator/Dead Villager Chat: Spoiler-Free while any Town remain alive; spoiled only if/when Town has lost.
Out of Thread Communication: Not allowed unless specifically told via PM
Daily Posting Requirement: 1 post by 9am ET Mon Mar 18 AND 10 substantive posts by 1 hour before EOD. This requirement is doubled for each game if playing both games. "Substantive" is subjective; however, it rarely includes a mostly or entirely naked vote but usually includes a post containing at least a complete sentence or two.
Moderation: In accordance with posted stickies and expected norms, including but not limited to all communication from/to Mod being done OUT of the game thread. NORMAL NO SURPRISES.
The prototype of this setup was run successfully in January 2016 on another site here. The final roleset was determined after I incorporated constructive criticism and discussion from our Lounge thread here. Special thanks to @AndrewGreve for helping make this setup solid.
4) Royal Ape
9) The Lukundo
11) Garden Gnome
13) TwiszTed1) flat_footed
3) Enoch Kaine
12) *will be filled by Jalandh only if no new player joins
13) *will be filled by TwiszTed only if no new player joins9 Townies1) Logic (1)
- 1 Cop will be given a randed n0 Townie result of investigation.
- 5 Vest-Earners on n1 must and on n2+ may submit exactly two names. If both are scum, a vest is earned. Otherwise, no vest is earned, and any vests already earned are destroyed. Names submitted must be living at the start of the night in which they are submitted and may be resubmitted on subsequent nights. A player may also choose to wear a vest, and it will be worn if available. The player will not know if he or she even had a vest to wear. Wearing a vest absolutely guarantees that player will survive the night.
- 1 Backup Cop is initially told the lie that he or she is a Vest-Earner. When the Cop dies, the Backup Cop is told that he or she is the new Cop.
- 1 Dictator is initially told the lie that he or she is a Vest-Earner. However. at the end of d1, the Dictator is informed of his or her true role and asked to submit exactly four names on n1. The highest two players on the list who are still living are announced at the start of d2 as the only players eligible for that day's lynch. If targeted for NK on n1, the Dictator does not die until the end of n2.
- 1 Pardoner is initially told the lie that he or she is a Vest-Earner. However, at the end of d1, the Pardoner is informed of his or her true role and asked to submit the names of exactly three other players on n1. The highest two players on the list who are still living at the start of d3 may not be lynched that day; the next highest votegetter is lynched instead.* This submission survives the death of the Pardoner.
1 Traitor (Scum) who appears to the Mafia as a Mafioso, appears to the Cop as Scum, is revealed to everyone when lynched as Scum, participates in Mafia night chat, and has his or her own NK submitted via PM by EOD with no holstering. The Traitor must submit two Townies so that if his or her first choice is the lynch, the second choice becomes the NK instead.
3 Mafia (Scum) with night chat and a team NK submitted by the night action deadline with no holstering. The Mafia appear to the Cop as Scum and are revealed to everyone when lynched as Scum. The NK may be of ANY player, including Scum, and is deemed submitted when it is decided by a vote of 4-0, 3-0, 2-0, 1-0, 3-1, 2-1-1, or 2-1. If the submission is decided by any other vote, the target is randed among all living Town. If the target is identical to the Traitor's target, a Mafioso is chosen randomly to die instead from among:
- those Mafia not dissenting when the submission was decided by a majority or plurality vote OR
- the Mafia when the submission was decided by any other vote.
The full role of a player is revealed at death.
- EXCEPTION: A Vest-Earner, Dictator, or Pardoner who dies before the end of d3 is revealed only as "Non-Cop Town" until the full role(s) is/are revealed at the end of d3.
- NOTE: The full role of each member of the Mafia and of the Traitor is simply "Scum."
- If the majority or plurality of Scum at night agree to identify to the Mod a player as the Dictator and/or a player as the Pardoner, and that PM is completely correct, the player(s) identified in that PM die(s) at the end of the next day. This is above and beyond the normal KP. If the PM is incorrect in any way, a Scum randomly chosen from among those not dissenting from the submission dies at the end of the next day instead.
- The Dictator and Pardoner are strongly advised to pretend they are Vest-Earners after n1 lest they be killed via Anti-Claim, which would be devastating for the Town. They may get creative and pretend they are Vest-Earners pretending to be the Dictator or the Pardoner, as well.
- The Vest-Earners after n1 are strongly advised to do one of two things as they see fit: sell the fact that they are Vest-Earners or pretend to be the Dictator and or the Pardoner in an effort to draw an incorrect Anti-Claim submission. This is the only way for the Town to kill Scum beyond the lynch.
- Remember, Scum can pretend to be Vest-Earners, the Dictator, or the Pardoner, as well.
- If you are the true Dictator or Pardoner, don't be so quick to counterclaim!
This game is designed to give each of the three teams a 1 in 3 chance of winning.
--The Traitor wins when all Townies are dead and the number of Mafia alive is 0 or 1.
--The Mafia wins when the Traitor is dead and they achieve parity with the Town.
--The Town wins when the only players alive are Townies.
- If and when the Town cannot win, any remaining Townies die.
- Lynch votes may not be changed if the only remaining players are Scum. If a Mafioso is then lynched, each of the last two Mafia will submit a NK. The one NOT killed by the Traitor decides the Mafia's NK:
--if it is the Traitor, the Mafia wins.
--if it is the same Mafioso that the Traitor killed, the Traitor wins.
- Lynch votes also may not be changed when the only players alive are two or three Townies and one Scum. When only two Townies and one Scum remain, a Townie is lynched, and the Scum is
--Mafia, the Mafia wins (dead Traitor and parity achieved).
--the Traitor and the remaining Townie has
----no vest, the Traitor wins.
----at least one vest, the Town wins. This vest-dependent result is also the outcome when two players remain at dawn, one of whom is the Traitor and the other of whom is Town.
*For example, the submission lists Players A, B, and C in that order. By the start of d3:
- Player A is dead. Players B and C are immune from lynch on d3.
- Players A and C are dead. Only Player B is immune from lynch on d3.
- All three players are still alive. Only Players A and B are immune from lynch on d3.