Thread: 2nd Annual Turbo Mafia Championship!

1. ISO #1
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    2nd Annual Turbo Mafia Championship!

2ND ANNUAL TURBO MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

A turbo mafia game is a game of mafia that usually lasts between 45 to 90 minutes. Each game takes place in one game thread, and the games are automated, so everything will be not only fast-paced, but also very smooth. Day phases last 18 minutes and night phases last 6 minutes, so it's a game of speed reading, quick reactions and trusting your gut feelings, as opposed to regular length games where you would have time to do thorough re-reads and in-depth analysis. The fast pace makes these turbos well suited for people who don't have the time to commit to longer games, and people who are just looking for a quick fix of that

We've run more than 1,000 turbos on Mafia Universe in the past few years, and while they can take some getting used to, we hope you'll give it a chance and join the fun!
    Everyone is eligible to participate. No matter what community you're from or whether or not you've ever played a turbo mafia game before, you are very welcome to play in our Championship games!

Find sign-ups by going to the Turbo subforum or by taking a look at the front page:

We hope and expect to have multiple turbo games running each day! If you don't see an active sign-up, feel free to start one yourself or do an interest check on our Discord server.

There will be staff around starting turbos practically every day during the month of March, generally in the ranges of 12-5pm EST and 6-11pm EST! If you would like to be notified when a turbo is about to start, you can opt in to the forum turbo mass tag list and/or add yourself to the ping list in the Discord server!

If you want to play in these turbos for the sake of fun, but you'd rather not appear on the leaderboards, tag @Arapocalypse in this thread and she'll make sure you don't show anywhere in the standings.
    Play 10 turbos and accumulate points according to the points structure, and the player(s) with the most points at the end in a set of 10 wins! If you play more than 10 turbos, you will start to accumulate turbos towards another 10-turbo set for an additional entry!!

You will also be able to choose to use the score of the first turbo you play after completing a set of 10 to replace your lowest score in said set, if you wish! This turbo will not count toward your next entry if you choose to use it as a replacement score!

Town win (sweep): 30 points
    Town F5 win: 20 points
    Town F3 win: 10 points
    Mafia F5 win (sweep): 40 points
    Mafia F3 win: 20 points
    Town N1/D2 win (sweep): 30 points
    Town N2/D3 win: 20 points
    Town N3/D4 win: 10 points
    Town N4+ win: 5 points
    Mafia N2/D3 win (sweep): 30 points
    Mafia N3/D4 win: 15 points
    Mafia N4+ win: 5 points
    Town F9 win (sweep): 40 points
    Town F7 win: 30 points
    Town F5 win: 20 points
    Town F3 win: 10 points
    Mafia F7 win (sweep): 45 points
    Mafia F5 win: 30 points
    Mafia F3 win: 15 points

Additional notes:
    • Only games with the Mafia Host rand OP timestamped between 12:01am EST on March 1st and 11:59pm EST on March 31st count!!
    • If you sub out, that game will not count for you!
    • If you sub in, the game will only count if you sub in before EoD 1/during night 1!
    • Compromised games (ex. game integrity breach/other unforeseen circumstances) will not be counted!

Cop 9'er is the oldest standard turbo game setup. It provides a good mix between power role strategy and skill, and is quick to pick up and play.

This game features:
    1x Town Alignment Cop (w/ night 0 random town peek)
    6x Vanilla Town
    2x Mafia Goon

Cop 13'er was used for Season 2 of the Mafia Championship. It's a simple setup where the result depends mostly on player skill. Early in the history of Mafia Universe, this was the only pre-built setup for long games, so many of these "vanilla" games were run.

This game features:
    1x Town Alignment Cop (w/ night 0 random town peek)
    9x Vanilla Town
    3x Mafia Goon

The Vigilante 10'er setup has grown popular as a different kind of small game to run as a turbo setup. The vigilante can help the town more quickly and efficiently eliminate its mafia candidates, and acts like a second lynch largely free of scum control.

This game features:
    1x Town Vigilante
    7x Vanilla Town
    2x Mafia Goon

All Championship turbos must meet the following criteria:
    1. The turbo must be run and completed during the time period of the championship!!
    2. The turbo must be either a Cop 9'er, Cop 13'er, or Vigilante 10'er (click spoilers above for more information).
    3. The turbo must have the community standard phase settings of 18/6 (18-minute days, 6-minute nights).
    4. The turbo must also enable the following settings: Majority ON from Day 2 onwards, No Lynch ON, Votes locked at LYLO, Tied votes are resolved via randomization.
    5. No anonymous turbos.

Note that a turbo doesn't necessarily need to be tagged as a "Championship turbo" to count for the standings. If all of the above criteria is met, then it's a sanctioned Championship turbo. If even just one of the criteria isn't met (such as days being shorter), then it doesn't count.
    Leaderboard!!!
    Leaderboard will be updated daily! If you see any issues with your entry in the leaderboard or have any other issues/questions, please contact @Arapocalypse or @Duk3star!

GET HYPED!!!!!

Last edited by Arapocalypse; March 11th, 2019 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Made the leaderboard easier to find!

2. ISO #2
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara

Congratulations to @Animal Midwife, winner of the second turbo mafia championship, who now sports a shiny new undertitle!

Here are the stats for the top 10 on the leaderboard, including a tie for 5th and a tie for 10th:

# Player Game 1 Game 2 Game
    Game 4 Game 5 Game 6 Game 7 Game 8 Game 9 Game 10 Game 11 Total Score Average PPG Games Played
    1 Animal Midwife 40 30 15 30 0 30 10 0 20 20 0 195 17.73 11
    2 PunchyTheCat 0 0 20 30 20 15 20 20 20 145 16.11 9
    3 RE1031 40 0 0 0 10 20 0 20 20 30 20 140 12.73 11
    4 Transcend 10 0 30 15 0 20 10 10 10 30 10 135 12.27 11
    5 AbuHumaid 0 0 30 0 30 0 0 40 20 10 0 130 11.82 11
    5 Garden Gnome (2) 20 0 20 30 10 10 20 0 20 130 14.44 9
    7 Rhodri 0 10 30 15 10 20 10 30 0 0 0 125 11.36 11
    8 Sparhawk 20 20 0 0 20 0 30 10 10 10 10 120 10.91 11
    9 Garden Gnome 10 0 0 20 0 20 20 30 0 15 15 115 10.45 11
    10 JohnCarter 0 10 30 0 10 30 0 10 0 20 20 110 10.00 11
    10 TwiszTed 10 0 0 20 0 30 30 0 0 20 0 110 10.00 11
    10 TwiszTed (2) 10 20 20 30 30 0 0 110 15.71 7

Thank you to everyone who participated!!! A special shoutout to @Panini, who organized the turbo marathon on March 30th for everyone to get a last few turbos in!!

More statistics, for anyone interested:

• 40 turbos were played during March, at an average of 1.29 turbos a day
    • 21 cop 9ers, 17 vig 10ers, and 2 cop 13ers were played
    • Approximately 71 individual people played at least 1 turbo
    • 83 total entries were made, including alts and entries for people who played more than 11 turbos
    • The total points that everyone collectively accumulated was 4,020 points
    • The collective average points per game was 10.17

Hope you enjoyed!! Any feedback is appreciated, and we'll see you next year!!!
    Last edited by Arapocalypse; April 7th, 2019 at 03:59 AM.

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    UTC+04:00
    Community
    Pokemon (Showdown)
    AKA
    ForgotToFlush

grats midwife!!

4. ISO #4
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    epicmafia/mafiascum
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    50 points between first and second place, that's what I call an ass handing.

Congrats to the other top 10 as well

5. ISO #5
    Turbo Mafia Champion! Animal Midwife's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    SDN
    Thank you! GG guys.

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    Community
    The Bell Tree Forums
    AKA
    Poncho/Panchy/Pinchy/Lunchy/Brian
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

that's amazing

7. ISO #7
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    I still remember my first two turbos here, where I flailed hard as both alignments and AM carried me hard. A well earned victory!

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    Also, win rate was 25 town wins to 15 mafia wins (62.5% town). Setups need to be fixed for next year.

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    AKA
    Gnome, Gnomey
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Wow, cool, I was in the top ten!!! *does happy dance*
    Congratulations, Animal Midwife!

11. ISO #11
    Turbo Mafia Champion! Animal Midwife's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    SDN
    Quote Originally Posted by RE1031 (#7)
    I still remember my first two turbos here, where I flailed hard as both alignments and AM carried me hard. A well earned victory!
    You were fun to wolf with. Was an interesting spin to our usual voting rivalry.

12. ISO #12
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Also, win rate was 25 town wins to 15 mafia wins (62.5% town). Setups need to be fixed for next year.
    Bolded is undoubtedly going to be a thing: I can guarantee that next year will not have cop 9ers like this, at the very least!!!

If anyone's got thoughts on what they think next year's should be like, feel free to drop them here, though stuff will be finalized next year!!

13. ISO #13
    Community
    Neoseeker

Thank you to Ara for hosting all month, we all had a ball and it’s appreciated.

14. ISO #14
    Lost Weasley Brother Allundberg's Avatar
    Community
    PokerNet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaleb (#9)
    Bolded is undoubtedly going to be a thing: I can guarantee that next year will not have cop 9ers like this, at the very least!!!

If anyone's got thoughts on what they think next year's should be like, feel free to drop them here, though stuff will be finalized next year!!
    I think only cop 9ers would be great.

13ers are too big for my taste and vig turbos are sometimes only 2 days which is less than ideal.

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    Quote Originally Posted by Allundberg (#14)

13ers are too big for my taste and vig turbos are sometimes only 2 days which is less than ideal.
    C9 was 14:7 Town:Mafia win ratio. Nty

V10 was 9:8 Town:Mafia win ratio.

16. ISO #16
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara

Do you mean that you prefer the size of cop 9ers (them being 9 people) or the balance of them or other?

Having seen all the cop 9ers go down this season... they seem to simply get more and more townsided when played frequently, especially when it's often with the same general pool of players!

A different 9er setup could be interesting to play with, and there's plenty of time to figure out another one that's cool!!

17. ISO #17
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Chem, Mist, Roxas, Wind

18. ISO #18
    I think parity cop or tracker is more balanced.

Mafia can force a mislynch day1 and still give the town auto day2 in a cop 9er, which is beyond broken.

7 alive:
    cop/n0/n1 Green/SHC

Which isn't that uncommon if the cop knows how to play. (keep track of cop cover and you can always check someone who isn't taking a NK, and then make it on someone you know will show green).

Just a bit too easy for town

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    AKA
    Gnome, Gnomey
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#16)

Do you mean that you prefer the size of cop 9ers (them being 9 people) or the balance of them or other?

Having seen all the cop 9ers go down this season... they seem to simply get more and more townsided when played frequently, especially when it's often with the same general pool of players!

A different 9er setup could be interesting to play with, and there's plenty of time to figure out another one that's cool!!
    Yes, those cop 9ers are definitely too townsided, which can be exceptionally annoying when you're scum and townies catch you after a single post!