Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 3666

Thread: Season 3, Game 4: Harry Potter & The Death Eater Trials [Mafia Championship]

  1. ISO #101
    GOAT Tier Phighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sixers Territory
    Posts
    49,074
    Community
    XHF, MU
    AKA
    Caffrey
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    Now I've always played with a mentality that we can afford just a few day lynches before we need to really crack and down and nail everything out perfectly. A lot of people think that mentality's incorrect, but I find it works, though I'm willing to be swayed. I figure romanov being a jerk is just a perfect matter of circumstance.
    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.

  2. ISO #102
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Kami has done 11 posts so far and all of them lacked any substance, so they are getting my vote for now because with that many posts I would expect a bit more.

    ##Vote Kami

  3. ISO #103
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#102)
    Kami has done 11 posts so far and all of them lacked any substance, so they are getting my vote for now because with that many posts I would expect a bit more.

    ##Vote Kami
    good vote

  4. ISO #104
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    Now I've always played with a mentality that we can afford just a few day lynches before we need to really crack and down and nail everything out perfectly. A lot of people think that mentality's incorrect, but I find it works, though I'm willing to be swayed. I figure romanov being a jerk is just a perfect matter of circumstance.
    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf

  5. ISO #105
    GOAT Tier Phighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sixers Territory
    Posts
    49,074
    Community
    XHF, MU
    AKA
    Caffrey
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    Now I've always played with a mentality that we can afford just a few day lynches before we need to really crack and down and nail everything out perfectly. A lot of people think that mentality's incorrect, but I find it works, though I'm willing to be swayed. I figure romanov being a jerk is just a perfect matter of circumstance.
    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf
    Look man, I love good a 'Toast Jesus' kind of thinking as much as you seem to, but geez that seems to be really grasping at straws. Do you not live anywhere/know anyone who just calls people babe? I'm a man and I get called babe a fair amount of time too in real life.

    I mean if I start calling everyone here bro, are you all actually guys? No. But I know a few people in life who call people bro on a constant basis.

    _____

    By the way, we're only 3 hours in, but have there been any people who haven't shown up at all yet?

  6. ISO #106
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#95)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#80)
    I can see why you would see it that way, as I said before that was more of a icebreaker to get people talking. I did not expect anyone to give me full details on thier tactics, why would they so early it defeats the point like you say.
    The bigger thing to me is that you started basically the same way as a wolf in game 3. I had an immediate scum read on him based on tone that proved to be right, and I'm seeing something similar in you.
    Yeah I can see why you would scum read me for that, to be honest with you I was looking at the other games eariler to see how other people started the game, for a good example and I thought that was a decent way to start. Since I like a bit of substance in my posts, not just Hi like others will do. Seems I picked one that a wolf did that is what I get for not been up to date with the other games. On my overall tone in my community I'm known for been passive and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way so not surprised you take issue with that as well.

  7. ISO #107
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf
    Jack has his gender set to male, so doubt this is going to come to anything.

    For me, I read a lot on tone, and it just seemed like an unnatural way to talk. Not a big point but a start.

  8. ISO #108
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#105)
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)

    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf
    Look man, I love good a 'Toast Jesus' kind of thinking as much as you seem to, but geez that seems to be really grasping at straws. Do you not live anywhere/know anyone who just calls people babe? I'm a man and I get called babe a fair amount of time too in real life.

    I mean if I start calling everyone here bro, are you all actually guys? No. But I know a few people in life who call people bro on a constant basis.

    _____

    By the way, we're only 3 hours in, but have there been any people who haven't shown up at all yet?
    EXACTLY. It's weak, and ellwood only calls me boring for it, and doesn't get any kind of tingly that i might be maf making a stretch argument. he doesn't even consider my alignment. hellloooooooooooooo that's the gatdam point

  9. ISO #109
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#106)
    Yeah I can see why you would scum read me for that, to be honest with you I was looking at the other games eariler to see how other people started the game, for a good example and I thought that was a decent way to start. Since I like a bit of substance in my posts, not just Hi like others will do. Seems I picked one that a wolf did that is what I get for not been up to date with the other games. On my overall tone in my community I'm known for been passive and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way so not surprised you take issue with that as well.
    Wait, what? So you read his opening? Did you read the rest of day 1? Did you see he flipped wolf?

  10. ISO #110
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    ##Vote Collector Elwood

    ride or die

  11. ISO #111
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#109)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#106)
    Yeah I can see why you would scum read me for that, to be honest with you I was looking at the other games eariler to see how other people started the game, for a good example and I thought that was a decent way to start. Since I like a bit of substance in my posts, not just Hi like others will do. Seems I picked one that a wolf did that is what I get for not been up to date with the other games. On my overall tone in my community I'm known for been passive and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way so not surprised you take issue with that as well.
    Wait, what? So you read his opening? Did you read the rest of day 1? Did you see he flipped wolf?
    he either sucks or is maf. im leaning he sucks

  12. ISO #112
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    Now I've always played with a mentality that we can afford just a few day lynches before we need to really crack and down and nail everything out perfectly. A lot of people think that mentality's incorrect, but I find it works, though I'm willing to be swayed. I figure romanov being a jerk is just a perfect matter of circumstance.
    I will make this clear since it is becoming a bit of a debate point, I'm not a girl and I'm called jack your assumption on my name and stuff was correct in a early post.

    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf

  13. ISO #113
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Benneh and Kami - where you go?

  14. ISO #114
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#109)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#106)
    Yeah I can see why you would scum read me for that, to be honest with you I was looking at the other games eariler to see how other people started the game, for a good example and I thought that was a decent way to start. Since I like a bit of substance in my posts, not just Hi like others will do. Seems I picked one that a wolf did that is what I get for not been up to date with the other games. On my overall tone in my community I'm known for been passive and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way so not surprised you take issue with that as well.

    Wait, what? So you read his opening? Did you read the rest of day 1? Did you see he flipped wolf?
    No I did not if I knew that he was a wolf, do you really think I would be stupid enough to do a move like that. I'm surprised that he as a wolf did it because it can draw a lot of heat on a person for good reason which I did not consider at the time. A wolf is generally more careful in thier posts, and will go under the radar more unless they have a lot of confidence in thier ablity.

  15. ISO #115
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Jowy - what do you think about Jack?

  16. ISO #116
    Automatic Game Mod Mafia Host's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    188,488
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    Harry Potter & The Death Eater Trials Day 1 Votecount

    Votes Target Voters (Posts in Phase)
    1 Jackrito Whiskeyjack (19)
    1 Collector Elwood romanov (31)
    1 benneh Jowy (8)
    1 Kami Jackrito (10)
    1 romanov Phighter (4)
    12 Not voting SpankGangsta (0), Kami (11), Thirdmango (0), y2kjbk (1), Zexy (1), JohnnyK (0), Jamie (0), Bimps (0), Collector Elwood (8), Golden (0), inky (0), benneh (14)


    View Vote History

    Day 1 ends at 8:00 PM EDT on Tuesday, May 17th, 2016. There are 1463529660000 remaining.

    Requested by Stork.. at 1 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes, 59 seconds remaining.

  17. ISO #117
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#94)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    Now I've always played with a mentality that we can afford just a few day lynches before we need to really crack and down and nail everything out perfectly. A lot of people think that mentality's incorrect, but I find it works, though I'm willing to be swayed. I figure romanov being a jerk is just a perfect matter of circumstance.
    I understand the temptation to bounce somebody who sucks, but he's being better now.

    Vote him if you suspect him, but we can't afford policy lynches based on personality.
    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf

    I messed up my post last time I answered this because answered mid quote, so will do it right this time. As others have since pointed out yes, I'm a male your assumption on me in one of your first posts was correct.

  18. ISO #118
    Wants It More benneh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    hehe
    Posts
    6,675
    Community
    2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#100)
    Benneh - what do you think of Jack and Jowy?

    Also are you normally a town leader when town? I've lurked enough the past couple weeks to see that you're respected here. What's your meta?

    And what are your expectations for Kami and Zexy? Looks like they play here too - are you familiar with them?
    no opinion on jack really

    jowy is mostly the same, with the caveat that i found his opium post slightly wolfy for reasons that are suuuper thin and kinda hard to articulate

    in bigger games i'll usually try to captain from day 1 and be much louder (post count wise) than almost everyone else. in games of this size i'll sometimes try to captain, sometimes just hang back, just kind of depends on the mood/player list. it would be very atypical of me me to not be super engaged after day 2

    kami's someone who doesn't like randing wolf and would probably slank off if she got some pressure, though there may be an unknown player caveat to that, since i think some of that weight is heavily meta dependent

    i've only played with zexy once and he was a sub i think. all i remember is he counter-claimed me the day before I was nightkilled

  19. ISO #119
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#114)
    No I did not if I knew that he was a wolf, do you really think I would be stupid enough to do a move like that. I'm surprised that he as a wolf did it because it can draw a lot of heat on a person for good reason which I did not consider at the time. A wolf is generally more careful in thier posts, and will go under the radar more unless they have a lot of confidence in thier ablity.
    Why would that type of opening would draw heat on somebody?

    Why did you copy that opening?

    Which other ones did you consider?

    How do you usually open in your forum?

  20. ISO #120
    Soul Reader Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,833
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#8)
    So it seems that I get the honour of first post in this game, lucky me. None of us should know each other so my normal day one moves will lose a lot of effect. So to begin with does anyone have any decent day one tactics, that they use from thier own groups. Since I think a good start is to get a feel for each other, to see early mindsets.
    Indeed, I like using meta, so... we may consider linking past town/scum games. Other than that, idk yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe
    Same lol but no point really; it?s not like any of us will be able to stick around for the entire 36 hours anyways
    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    I checked out some already? not sure how they will really help us read people but we can always go back if we think there?s some discrepancy between what?s said in them and what the player has showed in-game.

    Well our Day 1 is kinda like that too, I tend to ask meta stuff to people I haven?t played with before but who have played with others in the game. In this one I can?t really do that because most of us are complete strangers. We are also anti no-lynch? not that it matters much either as in MU, ALL day phases end in a 2-wagon thunderdome that always leads to lynch, even a randomized one in case votes are tied. I agree that Day 1 is important, we just look back at it, it?s not as useful at the exact time it takes place. Not sure if anyone?s told by yet but we use [v] bbcode tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#15)
    i dont know if it's a good tactic but on my home site i claim the cop day 1 in setups with and without cops

    im the cop
    it is a tactic over here as well. it is called "seer cover"... I could write a long explanation about it but 1) I'm a bit lazy 2) it already exists. Check Mafia University
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    excellent this site supports courier new

    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe

    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.

    also love the theme
    this guy is probably maf. basically diksukking in 3 ways in this post

    1) calling a player with an androgynous anime avatar a babe
    2) "not the most refined... strategy but it's worked before" is so half ass and hedgy
    3) also LOVE the theme is a total mod $#@!suck trying to get his entry post to just slide right in

    ##Vote collector elwood
    I'm actually intersted; do you REALLY accuse people of being mafia using reasoning like that in the 2.5 hour day phase games you are used to? With that little time I could see it beginning like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#18)
    this guy also probably mafia too for the explainy $#@! above and asking people for tactics, trying to seem like a helpful bro while not really supplying $#@! regarding the setup.
    uhm... what about townreading anybody? you tend to do that since early on or...

    ? ok interesting interaction between Elwood and Romanov. Too bad it?s not alignment indicative for either. Helps us understand how they think, though, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#34)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    That is a pretty fair view on day one, it normally gains little at the time and is hard to conduct in my view. It can give you some vital info for the late game if done well, vote patterns and early views on peoples playstyle for example. I would disagree with the no lynch on day one though I beleive more in the gathering of info through death, I tried the no day one lynch style for a long time and found I was not gaining a lot from it. I also personally perfer to vote a bit more into the day, so I can get a better view on people first not a big fan of a random vote for no reason, but I do get why people do.
    We agree, nice Indeed, while a d1 mislynch is bad, it's the point where a mislynch causes you the least trouble but still gives you enough info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#39)
    That said - Romanov's attitude has me leaning slightly town on him to start.
    I am leaning slightly scum tbh, but it is so slight I?m not ready to push it very hard. He?s just too aggressive, maybe just for the sake of looking so without trying to achieve something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kami (#40)
    Hi hul
    HUL
    romanov claimed Cop? Will you hard counterclaim? Y/N
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#43)
    semi-side note: i think the quicker we stop talking about generalities/day 1 strats/etc the better, since I think wolves are more likely to contain their poor TOAN and inability to truly solve the game within those types of posts

    so the quicker everyoen can flush that stuff from th eir system, the better
    that's good and all but how should we do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#47)
    Explain this one to me Jack. If people start discussing their tactics, then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

    Don't love your tone here. Honestly reminds me of the wolf they caught on day 1 in game 3. He started out almost the exact same way.
    I think tactics discussions may actually clear misunderstandings.

    I for one agree with what Jack said. Why they said it is another thing... because wolves can indeed say stuff like that if they actually do so as town, in a way to look town.

    I feel like Elwood prolongs the ?babe? conversation a bit too much, not looking very good about him. The fact that Elwood and Kami agree, though, is making me worried; Kami is one of the few players I know, she?s a bit hard to read for similar reasons as Elwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#61)
    It is certainly more of a town move, in my exp the more agressive people are less likely to be scum, because scum normally don't want too much attention on them. This depends on the player though, since some can cope with the attention well and use it to thier adv.
    So it basically boils down to whether scum!Romanov would or wouldn't be comfortable with being so aggressive.

    Also @romanov; about my bio; it was a way to get my friends from my homesite to say something of their own, I know it became a bit too big? please focus on WHAT is said there, not HOW it is said (whether it is wordy or not, the tone?) It was all sent before randing, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#70)
    i didnt call out any lifestyle. i was insinuating that elwood and jackrito had chatted in maf chat and knew that jackrito was a girl, since he called her babe
    to be fair, I had no clue you really meant that until I just read it... I think it?s a stretch of a thought to make but it makes more sense than it originally did now.

    This is until post 75. More in a bit.

  21. ISO #121
    Low Hanging Fruit Collector Elwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    34
    Community
    Pok?Community
    Gender
    working off the assumption I only call females babe

    yeah ok good work guy

    I point again to my argument of "who the hell says "NO YOU" when being accused."

  22. ISO #122
    Wants It More Cory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    6,338
    Community
    DragonMount
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#95)
    The bigger thing to me is that you started basically the same way as a wolf in game 3. I had an immediate scum read on him based on tone that proved to be right, and I'm seeing something similar in you.
    *** MOD NOTE ***

    Remember not to discuss ongoing games. Regardless if the player in question as already flipped, it is our community rule to not discuss any events in ongoing games until they are complete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
    5. Do Not Discuss Ongoing Games Outside the Game

    As long as a game is ongoing, you may talk about that game only where the host gives you explicit permission.

    Simply mentioning ongoing games without elaboration ("I'm playing in Game Q") is potentially dangerous. You can severely compromise a game's integrity by adding a new and unwanted source of information to the game.
    Forum rules can be found here in full here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...ull=1#post2276

  23. ISO #123
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    8,838
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Gender
    HOST NOTE:

    A minor note: Make sure to not reference the other ongoing game.

  24. ISO #124
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexy (#120)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#8)
    So it seems that I get the honour of first post in this game, lucky me. None of us should know each other so my normal day one moves will lose a lot of effect. So to begin with does anyone have any decent day one tactics, that they use from thier own groups. Since I think a good start is to get a feel for each other, to see early mindsets.
    Indeed, I like using meta, so... we may consider linking past town/scum games. Other than that, idk yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe
    Same lol but no point really; it?s not like any of us will be able to stick around for the entire 36 hours anyways
    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    I checked out some already? not sure how they will really help us read people but we can always go back if we think there?s some discrepancy between what?s said in them and what the player has showed in-game.

    Well our Day 1 is kinda like that too, I tend to ask meta stuff to people I haven?t played with before but who have played with others in the game. In this one I can?t really do that because most of us are complete strangers. We are also anti no-lynch? not that it matters much either as in MU, ALL day phases end in a 2-wagon thunderdome that always leads to lynch, even a randomized one in case votes are tied. I agree that Day 1 is important, we just look back at it, it?s not as useful at the exact time it takes place. Not sure if anyone?s told by yet but we use [v] bbcode tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#15)
    i dont know if it's a good tactic but on my home site i claim the cop day 1 in setups with and without cops

    im the cop
    it is a tactic over here as well. it is called "seer cover"... I could write a long explanation about it but 1) I'm a bit lazy 2) it already exists. Check Mafia University
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    excellent this site supports courier new

    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe

    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.

    also love the theme
    this guy is probably maf. basically diksukking in 3 ways in this post

    1) calling a player with an androgynous anime avatar a babe
    2) "not the most refined... strategy but it's worked before" is so half ass and hedgy
    3) also LOVE the theme is a total mod $#@!suck trying to get his entry post to just slide right in

    ##Vote collector elwood
    I'm actually intersted; do you REALLY accuse people of being mafia using reasoning like that in the 2.5 hour day phase games you are used to? With that little time I could see it beginning like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#18)
    this guy also probably mafia too for the explainy $#@! above and asking people for tactics, trying to seem like a helpful bro while not really supplying $#@! regarding the setup.
    uhm... what about townreading anybody? you tend to do that since early on or...

    ? ok interesting interaction between Elwood and Romanov. Too bad it?s not alignment indicative for either. Helps us understand how they think, though, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#34)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    That is a pretty fair view on day one, it normally gains little at the time and is hard to conduct in my view. It can give you some vital info for the late game if done well, vote patterns and early views on peoples playstyle for example. I would disagree with the no lynch on day one though I beleive more in the gathering of info through death, I tried the no day one lynch style for a long time and found I was not gaining a lot from it. I also personally perfer to vote a bit more into the day, so I can get a better view on people first not a big fan of a random vote for no reason, but I do get why people do.
    We agree, nice Indeed, while a d1 mislynch is bad, it's the point where a mislynch causes you the least trouble but still gives you enough info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#39)
    That said - Romanov's attitude has me leaning slightly town on him to start.
    I am leaning slightly scum tbh, but it is so slight I?m not ready to push it very hard. He?s just too aggressive, maybe just for the sake of looking so without trying to achieve something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kami (#40)
    Hi hul
    HUL
    romanov claimed Cop? Will you hard counterclaim? Y/N
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#43)
    semi-side note: i think the quicker we stop talking about generalities/day 1 strats/etc the better, since I think wolves are more likely to contain their poor TOAN and inability to truly solve the game within those types of posts

    so the quicker everyoen can flush that stuff from th eir system, the better
    that's good and all but how should we do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#47)
    Explain this one to me Jack. If people start discussing their tactics, then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

    Don't love your tone here. Honestly reminds me of the wolf they caught on day 1 in game 3. He started out almost the exact same way.
    I think tactics discussions may actually clear misunderstandings.

    I for one agree with what Jack said. Why they said it is another thing... because wolves can indeed say stuff like that if they actually do so as town, in a way to look town.

    I feel like Elwood prolongs the ?babe? conversation a bit too much, not looking very good about him. The fact that Elwood and Kami agree, though, is making me worried; Kami is one of the few players I know, she?s a bit hard to read for similar reasons as Elwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#61)
    It is certainly more of a town move, in my exp the more agressive people are less likely to be scum, because scum normally don't want too much attention on them. This depends on the player though, since some can cope with the attention well and use it to thier adv.
    So it basically boils down to whether scum!Romanov would or wouldn't be comfortable with being so aggressive.

    Also @romanov; about my bio; it was a way to get my friends from my homesite to say something of their own, I know it became a bit too big? please focus on WHAT is said there, not HOW it is said (whether it is wordy or not, the tone?) It was all sent before randing, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#70)
    i didnt call out any lifestyle. i was insinuating that elwood and jackrito had chatted in maf chat and knew that jackrito was a girl, since he called her babe
    to be fair, I had no clue you really meant that until I just read it... I think it?s a stretch of a thought to make but it makes more sense than it originally did now.

    This is until post 75. More in a bit.
    im not reading this or your bio. wait. that means i read this

  25. ISO #125
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    8,838
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory* (#122)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#95)
    The bigger thing to me is that you started basically the same way as a wolf in game 3. I had an immediate scum read on him based on tone that proved to be right, and I'm seeing something similar in you.
    *** MOD NOTE ***

    Remember not to discuss ongoing games. Regardless if the player in question as already flipped, it is our community rule to not discuss any events in ongoing games until they are complete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
    5. Do Not Discuss Ongoing Games Outside the Game

    As long as a game is ongoing, you may talk about that game only where the host gives you explicit permission.

    Simply mentioning ongoing games without elaboration ("I'm playing in Game Q") is potentially dangerous. You can severely compromise a game's integrity by adding a new and unwanted source of information to the game.
    Forum rules can be found here in full here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...ull=1#post2276
    ADMIN NOTE:

    Bastard.

  26. ISO #126
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#121)
    working off the assumption I only call females babe

    yeah ok good work guy

    I point again to my argument of "who the hell says "NO YOU" when being accused."
    that's good and all, welcome back to the thread after i brought your name up again

  27. ISO #127
    Wants It More benneh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    hehe
    Posts
    6,675
    Community
    2+2
    @Zexy

    "that's good and all but how should we do that?"

    its basically already started. interacting/toan reading/etc

  28. ISO #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#115)
    Jowy - what do you think about Jack?
    I like the post he made about romanov being aggressive on purpose. Other than that a lot of boring meta stuff that is null to me.

  29. ISO #129
    Wants It More benneh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    hehe
    Posts
    6,675
    Community
    2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#121)
    working off the assumption I only call females babe

    yeah ok good work guy

    I point again to my argument of "who the hell says "NO YOU" when being accused."
    do you have any opinions on the game so far other than feigned disdain for people's arguments?

  30. ISO #130
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#119)
    Why would that type of opening would draw heat on somebody?

    Why did you copy that opening?

    Which other ones did you consider?

    How do you usually open in your forum?
    Jack - ignore most of this I guess. Will figure out a different way to ask.

  31. ISO #131
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Okay Jackrito trying again -

    Why would somebody get heat for being friendly and asking people how they usually start day 1 on their home forums?

    How do you usually open games?

    Did you spend time considering other ways to start? If so, what other approaches did you consider?

  32. ISO #132
    GOAT Tier Phighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sixers Territory
    Posts
    49,074
    Community
    XHF, MU
    AKA
    Caffrey
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#108)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#105)
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#101)


    But we can afford lynches based on whether or not someone calls someone else "babe"? Because that's what his evidence kind of boiled down to.

    I'm pretty much 50/50/50 between keeping it on because he's been a jerk, keeping it on because if you were mafia screaming in people's faces is the last thing anyone thinks a mafia person would do, and taking it off because people are striking down this notion pretty rapidly.

    I guess I could say that I'm home! Hahaha.
    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf
    Look man, I love good a 'Toast Jesus' kind of thinking as much as you seem to, but geez that seems to be really grasping at straws. Do you not live anywhere/know anyone who just calls people babe? I'm a man and I get called babe a fair amount of time too in real life.

    I mean if I start calling everyone here bro, are you all actually guys? No. But I know a few people in life who call people bro on a constant basis.

    _____

    By the way, we're only 3 hours in, but have there been any people who haven't shown up at all yet?
    EXACTLY. It's weak, and ellwood only calls me boring for it, and doesn't get any kind of tingly that i might be maf making a stretch argument. he doesn't even consider my alignment. hellloooooooooooooo that's the gatdam point
    WHAT?

    You just pretty much just said your reasoning is crap, and you're sticking by it, and just what?

    That is an absolutely reckless way to go about trying to eliminate someone. "Yeah, they're bad!" "Oh, of course they're not bad, but hey why not?"

    You remind me of a certain politician with that logic and I'm not sure anyone here wants to go down that path.

  33. ISO #133
    Bandwagoner romanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    182
    Community
    Terps (MD) The Suque
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#132)
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#108)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#105)
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#104)


    There is actual substance to the "babe" point but only if jackrito or ellwood flips maf. i was making a connection assuming that ellwood only calls girls babe, and there would be no way to know jackrito was a girl unless they were both maf
    Look man, I love good a 'Toast Jesus' kind of thinking as much as you seem to, but geez that seems to be really grasping at straws. Do you not live anywhere/know anyone who just calls people babe? I'm a man and I get called babe a fair amount of time too in real life.

    I mean if I start calling everyone here bro, are you all actually guys? No. But I know a few people in life who call people bro on a constant basis.

    _____

    By the way, we're only 3 hours in, but have there been any people who haven't shown up at all yet?
    EXACTLY. It's weak, and ellwood only calls me boring for it, and doesn't get any kind of tingly that i might be maf making a stretch argument. he doesn't even consider my alignment. hellloooooooooooooo that's the gatdam point
    WHAT?

    You just pretty much just said your reasoning is crap, and you're sticking by it, and just what?

    That is an absolutely reckless way to go about trying to eliminate someone. "Yeah, they're bad!" "Oh, of course they're not bad, but hey why not?"

    You remind me of a certain politician with that logic and I'm not sure anyone here wants to go down that path.
    And you remind me of a fish.

    You didn't understand anything I said. Try reading. Elwood didn't consider my alignment when he tried to make sense of my argument. That is a mafia thing to do as mafia knows my alignemnt already. Keep up

  34. ISO #134
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kjbk (#85)
    Hey everyone, looking forward to a good game. First posts have me thinking romanov is town, don't think a wolf would stick his head out like he is. Pretty high minimum posting limits in this game compared to what I'm used to, but that's good considering where I play mafia/wolves always lurk and blend in with other town players lurking and it sucks. Hoping and expecting that won't be the case this game.
    So if that's how you feel, why aren't you saying anything else? Give us some thoughts.

  35. ISO #135
    Bandwagoner inky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Strudel
    Posts
    50
    Community
    ComicFury
    Gender
    Good morning, friends. So who all is mafia again? Also how does the no lynch thing work here?
    the forest lives within you

  36. ISO #136
    Wants It More benneh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    hehe
    Posts
    6,675
    Community
    2+2
    [QUOTE=Phighter;333886][QUOTE=Jowy;333873]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    That and the idea that about eight of you (hyperbole) have said, "I don't think he's a Wolf, Mafia would never do that" makes me think that he's just pulling wool over everyone's eyes by being the loudest one in the room. Classic thought process in a game of Mafia is to do the thing that no one thinks you're going to do.
    why is this more likely than him just being a villager and 8 (hyperbole) people having a correct read/TMIing about him being a villager?

  37. ISO #137
    Low Hanging Fruit Collector Elwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    34
    Community
    Pok?Community
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#130)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#119)
    Why would that type of opening would draw heat on somebody?

    Why did you copy that opening?

    Which other ones did you consider?

    How do you usually open in your forum?
    Jack - ignore most of this I guess. Will figure out a different way to ask.
    Other than the fact I'm keeping an eye on the arguments towards Jackrito and going through his comments, not quite yet settled to anything.

  38. ISO #138
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexy (#120)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#8)
    So it seems that I get the honour of first post in this game, lucky me. None of us should know each other so my normal day one moves will lose a lot of effect. So to begin with does anyone have any decent day one tactics, that they use from thier own groups. Since I think a good start is to get a feel for each other, to see early mindsets.
    Indeed, I like using meta, so... we may consider linking past town/scum games. Other than that, idk yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe
    Same lol but no point really; it?s not like any of us will be able to stick around for the entire 36 hours anyways
    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    I checked out some already? not sure how they will really help us read people but we can always go back if we think there?s some discrepancy between what?s said in them and what the player has showed in-game.

    Well our Day 1 is kinda like that too, I tend to ask meta stuff to people I haven?t played with before but who have played with others in the game. In this one I can?t really do that because most of us are complete strangers. We are also anti no-lynch? not that it matters much either as in MU, ALL day phases end in a 2-wagon thunderdome that always leads to lynch, even a randomized one in case votes are tied. I agree that Day 1 is important, we just look back at it, it?s not as useful at the exact time it takes place. Not sure if anyone?s told by yet but we use [v] bbcode tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#15)
    i dont know if it's a good tactic but on my home site i claim the cop day 1 in setups with and without cops

    im the cop
    it is a tactic over here as well. it is called "seer cover"... I could write a long explanation about it but 1) I'm a bit lazy 2) it already exists. Check Mafia University
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collector Elwood (#10)
    excellent this site supports courier new

    lol I set an alarm for 7:30 so I could be here right when the game started but my body was having none of that nonsense today so congrats on the first post babe

    Anyway, I'm sort of in the same predicament. Usually I like to keep the conversation going between players, even if it's all just frivolous, because it will give of a sense of their tone, basic voice, and posting habit; which I've always found useful in reading people later on. Not the most refined and cold strategy, but it's worked for me before.

    also love the theme
    this guy is probably maf. basically diksukking in 3 ways in this post

    1) calling a player with an androgynous anime avatar a babe
    2) "not the most refined... strategy but it's worked before" is so half ass and hedgy
    3) also LOVE the theme is a total mod $#@!suck trying to get his entry post to just slide right in

    ##Vote collector elwood
    I'm actually intersted; do you REALLY accuse people of being mafia using reasoning like that in the 2.5 hour day phase games you are used to? With that little time I could see it beginning like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#18)
    this guy also probably mafia too for the explainy $#@! above and asking people for tactics, trying to seem like a helpful bro while not really supplying $#@! regarding the setup.
    uhm... what about townreading anybody? you tend to do that since early on or...

    ? ok interesting interaction between Elwood and Romanov. Too bad it?s not alignment indicative for either. Helps us understand how they think, though, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#34)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#11)
    Thank you for writing long introductions, I will be sure to check them out after the game. Right now I want to judge you for myself without any bias. That's half the fun of joining a game full of strangers. The other half would be winning, but I won't place my bets there when playing among the best of the best (or the few willing to trek from one forum to another).

    As for Day 1 strategies, we like to vote for random people, have stupid arguments, and end the first day in a no lynch. It might not be much of a strategy, but at this point it's so ingrained in my habits that it's hard to imagine a first day that accomplishes things. And that's a lie, the first day is always important, it just tends to not be so apparent during the day itself. Now let me figure out how to vote and I might throw a random vote at someone just to get the ball rolling.
    That is a pretty fair view on day one, it normally gains little at the time and is hard to conduct in my view. It can give you some vital info for the late game if done well, vote patterns and early views on peoples playstyle for example. I would disagree with the no lynch on day one though I beleive more in the gathering of info through death, I tried the no day one lynch style for a long time and found I was not gaining a lot from it. I also personally perfer to vote a bit more into the day, so I can get a better view on people first not a big fan of a random vote for no reason, but I do get why people do.
    We agree, nice Indeed, while a d1 mislynch is bad, it's the point where a mislynch causes you the least trouble but still gives you enough info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#39)
    That said - Romanov's attitude has me leaning slightly town on him to start.
    I am leaning slightly scum tbh, but it is so slight I?m not ready to push it very hard. He?s just too aggressive, maybe just for the sake of looking so without trying to achieve something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kami (#40)
    Hi hul
    HUL
    romanov claimed Cop? Will you hard counterclaim? Y/N
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#43)
    semi-side note: i think the quicker we stop talking about generalities/day 1 strats/etc the better, since I think wolves are more likely to contain their poor TOAN and inability to truly solve the game within those types of posts

    so the quicker everyoen can flush that stuff from th eir system, the better
    that's good and all but how should we do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#47)
    Explain this one to me Jack. If people start discussing their tactics, then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

    Don't love your tone here. Honestly reminds me of the wolf they caught on day 1 in game 3. He started out almost the exact same way.
    I think tactics discussions may actually clear misunderstandings.

    I for one agree with what Jack said. Why they said it is another thing... because wolves can indeed say stuff like that if they actually do so as town, in a way to look town.

    I feel like Elwood prolongs the ?babe? conversation a bit too much, not looking very good about him. The fact that Elwood and Kami agree, though, is making me worried; Kami is one of the few players I know, she?s a bit hard to read for similar reasons as Elwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#61)
    It is certainly more of a town move, in my exp the more agressive people are less likely to be scum, because scum normally don't want too much attention on them. This depends on the player though, since some can cope with the attention well and use it to thier adv.
    So it basically boils down to whether scum!Romanov would or wouldn't be comfortable with being so aggressive.

    Also @romanov; about my bio; it was a way to get my friends from my homesite to say something of their own, I know it became a bit too big? please focus on WHAT is said there, not HOW it is said (whether it is wordy or not, the tone?) It was all sent before randing, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanov (#70)
    i didnt call out any lifestyle. i was insinuating that elwood and jackrito had chatted in maf chat and knew that jackrito was a girl, since he called her babe
    to be fair, I had no clue you really meant that until I just read it... I think it?s a stretch of a thought to make but it makes more sense than it originally did now.

    This is until post 75. More in a bit.

    Mostly hate this post.

  39. ISO #139
    Bandwagoner Jackrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    119
    Community
    Myanimelist
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#119)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#114)
    No I did not if I knew that he was a wolf, do you really think I would be stupid enough to do a move like that. I'm surprised that he as a wolf did it because it can draw a lot of heat on a person for good reason which I did not consider at the time. A wolf is generally more careful in thier posts, and will go under the radar more unless they have a lot of confidence in thier ablity.
    Why would that type of opening would draw heat on somebody?

    Why did you copy that opening?

    Which other ones did you consider?

    How do you usually open in your forum?
    It would draw heat on a person for the reasons you said before, since it can be seen as a way to find out people's tactics so a person can avoid them. It is something I should of considered in more detail at the time. I was partly intrested in just to see different styles as well since I find this a good learning exp for myself since I consider day one the weak part of my game.

    I copyed that style of opening, because I thought it would be a decent way to start a dicussion compared to the normal hi's that people say. I did this because I think discussion is important you can tell a lot on a player by how willing they are to join in a discussion or hide from it.

    Nothing else really caught my attention since a lot of them just seemed to be filler and not game related. I like to have substance and keep things on track so not a big fan of filler. Something about that one just caught my attention and thought it would be a good start point with people I don't know.

    In my forums I have two different ways of approuch to it, one of them ways is to sit back and lurk a bit in the early part to see what others do first, and then react based off that. Or the other main thing that I do is vote one of the players, I know that I can get a reaction from, and see if I can can get a view on how other people view them such as who will defend them, or be fine with killing them. The reason I did neither here is I thought the first was a waste of time this is a chance to show our skill lurking will get me nowhere. I could not use the second because it relies a lot on meta and knowing who is easy to bait and since I did not know the players it would not work. So I thought a day one discussion approuch, would work better to get a view on people early which I think it has done a bit.

  40. ISO #140
    Soul Reader Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,833
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    Gender
    So Phighter is pro policy-lynch? I generally don?t like the idea. Only employ it when I already scumread someone who?s just no longer willing to cooperate because they?re either scum or angry/salty town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kami (#78)
    Roman have we plays together before your name is rlly familiar
    I don?t think Romanov and Roman are the same person?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#80)
    I can see why you would see it that way, as I said before that was more of a icebreaker to get people talking. I did not expect anyone to give me full details on thier tactics, why would they so early it defeats the point like you say.
    that last line feels like an attempt of yours to conform and agree that part of what they are accusing you for is correct... to show that you are like them. and it's not reading good.
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kjbk (#85)
    Hey everyone, looking forward to a good game. First posts have me thinking romanov is town, don't think a wolf would stick his head out like he is. Pretty high minimum posting limits in this game compared to what I'm used to, but that's good considering where I play mafia/wolves always lurk and blend in with other town players lurking and it sucks. Hoping and expecting that won't be the case this game.
    Interesting post? I feel like it?s too small and addresses too little things considering what has happened by this point. It also feels kinda forced, as if the only thing y2 cares about is painting Romanov town, using his sheer post count + aggressiveness as the sole reason/excuse.
    May be playstyle, but I think this is scummy. It?s not a regular post from someone trying to catch up, I?ve had trouble catching up before and have seen others struggling, they don?t post like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#99)
    0That and the idea that about eight of you (hyperbole) have said, "I don't think he's a Wolf, Mafia would never do that" makes me think that he's just pulling wool over everyone's eyes by being the loudest one in the room. Classic thought process in a game of Mafia is to do the thing that no one thinks you're going to do.
    You should have made this clear because it felt like plain policy? I understand the thought behind it and think Romanov could indeed be scum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrito (#102)
    Kami has done 11 posts so far and all of them lacked any substance, so they are getting my vote for now because with that many posts I would expect a bit more.

    ##Vote Kami
    Kami tends to look scummy because of posts with little substance.
    Wouldn't jump on her yet, I know she has a very distinctive playstyle... which is kinda like Elwood's from what I noticed before, but she's not offended as much and not as wordy.

    But yeah I don?t think we should overdo it over the ?babe? talking, Phighter?s right about the usage of ?bro? and I tend to use ?guys? in a similar fashion. Hint: in the ?what the cool guys said about me? part of my bio, girls? quotes were included.

    Actually, I feel like Jackrito?s trying. Somehow, all of his posts are the same length, which feels a bit inorganic? but he?s trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#118)
    no opinion on jack really

    jowy is mostly the same, with the caveat that i found his opium post slightly wolfy for reasons that are suuuper thin and kinda hard to articulate

    in bigger games i'll usually try to captain from day 1 and be much louder (post count wise) than almost everyone else. in games of this size i'll sometimes try to captain, sometimes just hang back, just kind of depends on the mood/player list. it would be very atypical of me me to not be super engaged after day 2

    kami's someone who doesn't like randing wolf and would probably slank off if she got some pressure, though there may be an unknown player caveat to that, since i think some of that weight is heavily meta dependent

    i've only played with zexy once and he was a sub i think. all i remember is he counter-claimed me the day before I was nightkilled
    I don't really like how you don't have an opinion on jack

    won't push you to tell us those reasons yet

    I can confirm that. Looking forward to more from you

    Haven't ever seen wolf!Kami but I've seen town!Kami... she looks scummy, hardclaims cop even when the rel cop is unCCd (I remember LEGO mafia where it happened, was one of the two incidents that led to her getting her usertitle)... yeah Kami reads are heavily meta dependent

    We've also played in some mashes, it wasn't just The Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#127)
    @Zexy

    "that's good and all but how should we do that?"

    its basically already started. interacting/toan reading/etc
    yeah lol sorry when I posted that I didn't know at which point I would pause the wallpost or what happened later. indeed it's started...

    up to 130. Caught up at least.
    Will try to compile all my thoughts on one post in a while because they?re a bit all over the place in these wallposts.

  41. ISO #141
    Low Hanging Fruit
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    37
    Community
    webDiplomacy
    Gender
    ##Vote Kami

    I hope I did that voting right. I was going through Kami's quoted read-through, and it looked very hedgy on romanov leaning scum but might not be, and saying not much else relevant and from my experience playing forum mafia, scum love to clump their responses together and get people not to read it all too carefully since they struggle to have an organic conversation, but it looks like they've contributed a bunch that they can reference. Will see what he says when he comes back.

  42. ISO #142
    Low Hanging Fruit
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    37
    Community
    webDiplomacy
    Gender
    ##Vote Zexy

    I screwed up who made that post.

  43. ISO #143
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,816
    Community
    Westeros
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#128)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#115)
    Jowy - what do you think about Jack?
    I like the post he made about romanov being aggressive on purpose. Other than that a lot of boring meta stuff that is null to me.
    Boring, really? I mean, I'm pretty sure I can't talk about some of the details anymore which is fair but makes things challenging, but really don't see how you could find it boring.

    Do you normally play like this, popping in every 20-30 posts with one comment?

  44. ISO #144
    Soul Reader Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,833
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    Gender
    Btw I don?t think I?ve actually mentioned it before but Whiskeyjack looks pretty villa from tone and content.
    Quote Originally Posted by inky (#135)
    Good morning, friends. So who all is mafia again? Also how does the no lynch thing work here?
    Morning, inky... you are mafia, anything to say about that?
    It just doesn't work; we are not no lynching here.

    last few catching up things
    still going to complie everything into a smaller post

  45. ISO #145
    Soul Reader Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,833
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kjbk (#141)
    ##Vote Kami

    I hope I did that voting right. I was going through Kami's quoted read-through, and it looked very hedgy on romanov leaning scum but might not be, and saying not much else relevant and from my experience playing forum mafia, scum love to clump their responses together and get people not to read it all too carefully since they struggle to have an organic conversation, but it looks like they've contributed a bunch that they can reference. Will see what he says when he comes back.
    You buddy romanov so hard it hurts.

    Can you please give us your thoughts on anyone but romanov (and me, who you vote because you don't like my views on romanov).

  46. ISO #146
    Low Hanging Fruit
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    37
    Community
    webDiplomacy
    Gender
    Well there is Zexy, I'm encouraged he's claiming he'll make smaller posts and try to interact a bit more organically.

  47. ISO #147
    Bandwagoner inky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Strudel
    Posts
    50
    Community
    ComicFury
    Gender
    No Lynching is enabled. Vote for No Lynch to forgo a lynch that Day.
    it looks like it works. i'm just wondering how you actually vote for it. i'm not recommending we do it because of course you have a better chance of catching mafia if you actually kill people but i didn't see the no lynch thing in the check box to make it into a happening thing is all
    the forest lives within you

  48. ISO #148
    GOAT Tier Phighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sixers Territory
    Posts
    49,074
    Community
    XHF, MU
    AKA
    Caffrey
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    [QUOTE=benneh;333966][QUOTE=Phighter;333886]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy (#91)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#77)
    That and the idea that about eight of you (hyperbole) have said, "I don't think he's a Wolf, Mafia would never do that" makes me think that he's just pulling wool over everyone's eyes by being the loudest one in the room. Classic thought process in a game of Mafia is to do the thing that no one thinks you're going to do.
    why is this more likely than him just being a villager and 8 (hyperbole) people having a correct read/TMIing about him being a villager?
    I've read a few games here and I get the idea that people generally like to hang back if they're scum, which is the same thing other people have said. I think some of these quieter people who haven't said anything yet are kind of suspicious, too, but I'm noticing a lot of people falling into this mentality early where "Of course not, he's too loud", and I've played too many games where we assume someone is town for X reason and then they rise up and kill us all.

    I think that people are putting just a little too much faith in their initial read. We have no proof that romanov is mafia, just like we have no proof for anyone else here (day one struggles, woo). I'm a little snake-bitten by assumptive play, because assumptions make an ass out of, etc.

    Saying "he can't be X because he doesn't act like how I think X acts" and the sweeping assumption makes me uneasy that we're making a mistake.

  49. ISO #149
    Low Hanging Fruit
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    37
    Community
    webDiplomacy
    Gender
    Wow, why so testy? Got anyone in particular you want me to give an opinion on? I'm not sure yet how to read the reactions of others to the pressure from romanov, only that romanov seems town from his aggressive approach thus far.

  50. ISO #150
    Soul Reader Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,833
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    Gender
    Players:
    benneh (Two Plus Two) ? Looks fine so far but benneh?s good
    Bimps (Everybody Edits) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    Collector Elwood (Pok?Community) ? Strange posting style, I sensed some emotions that felt towny
    Golden (The Syndicate) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    inky (Comic Fury) ? Only one post, not really towny; the font, asking for NL
    Jackrito (MyAnimeList) ? Posts feel a bit inorganic but he?s trying. Very slight town lean, willing to think of it again in a bit, though
    Jamie (Zelda Dungeon) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    JohnnyK (NintendoPlus) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    Jowy (Realms Beyond) ? Few posts, a bit fluffy and only towards the beginning. Very slight scum lean, so slight in can change the moment we get more content from him.
    Kami (OneHallyu) ? Slight town because all she?s said feels genuine.
    Phighter (Cracked) ? Slight town because scum probably is more afraid to push a policy lynch?
    romanov (InsideMDSports) ? ARGH? very annoying, I can see scummy stuff but it depends on how he plays. The way y2 defends him is suspicious.
    SpankGangsta (STaeyongD!) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    Thirdmango (Forums of Loathing) ? Hasn?t even appeared
    Whiskeyjack (GoT Mafia Discussion Board) ? Best townread as of now
    y2kjbk (webDiplomacy) ? Scummy, focuses too much on Romanov and the people who surround him
    Zexy (Bulbagarden) ? to be fair this guy is townier than Whiskeyjack

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Keyboard Shortcuts

about us
Mafia Universe is a community hub for people who enjoy playing the forum variant of Mafia (also known as Werewolf). We offer fully automated Mafia games and a wide variety of customized features crafted to optimize your game experience. We also proudly host the Internet's only database of Mafia/Werewolf communities.

We hope you stick around!
Role of the Day
Time Bandit

The Time Bandit may each night submit a list of who they would have roleblocked on previous nights as well as on the current night. The list can be amended each night. Once per game during day, the Time Bandit can choose to sacrifice themselves by posting a public announcement in the thread. This will cause the Time Bandit to die and will cause all the roleblocks on their most recently submitted list to take place retroactively as if they'd been actually performed on the nights in question, causing any deaths and/or actions to be affected accordingly.