Thread: Season 6, Game 1: Cloud City [The Mafia Championship]

1. Bookmark ISO #1
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Season 6, Game 1: Cloud City [The Mafia Championship]

SEASON 6, GAME 1: CLOUD CITY (MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP)

Welcome to Season 6 of the Mafia Championship!

An international forum-based tournament for Mafia players from 187 different communities

Sponsored by Werewolf Online

Hosted By: Our automated @Mafia Host w/ @soah providing flavor
    Start Date: April 29, 2019
    Start of Day/End of Day: 6 PM EST (23.00 UK time)
    Phase Lengths: 48/24
    Lynch Mechanics: Deadline Lynch (person with most votes is lynched at the end of the deadline). In case of a tie, one of the tied players will randomly be lynched. No lynch is a valid vote. Starting Day 2, Majority is enabled, meaning the players can end day early if someone attains a majority of the votes.
    Night Chat In Thread: No, thread will be locked during Night Phases
    Out of Thread Communication: Only the Mafia team may communicate with each other outside of the thread (24/7)
    LYLO Rules: Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO. I.e. when the game reaches a point where one more mislynch leads to a loss, you cannot change your vote once you have cast it.
    Minimum Posting Requirement: Minimum 10 posts per Game Day
    Maximum Posts Allowed: 175 posts per player per Game Day (restriction is lifted 2 hours before EOD though, so if you've reached your max you can post again at that time).
    ROLES
    13x Town
    4x Mafia

Of the following 18 roles, 1 will randomly be discarded and the other 17 will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart. The Mafia will be told which role is not present in the game.

Role Acts On These Nights Modifier
    Watcher n1 Only Macho
    Watcher n2 Only
    Alignment Cop n2 Only 1x Ninja
    Alignment Cop n3 Only 1x Ninja
    Vigilante n2 Only
    Vigilante n3 Only
    Doctor n1, n3
    Doctor n2, n4
    Tracker n1, n3 1x Strongman
    Tracker n2, n4 1x Strongman
    Jailkeeper n1, n3
    Jailkeeper n2, n4
    Roleblocker n1, n3
    Roleblocker n2, n4
    Role Cop n1, n2, n3 1x Strongman
    Jack of All Trades
    (Role Cop, Tracker, Roleblocker)
    n1, n2, n3
    Jack of All Trades
    (Doctor, Jailkeeper, Voyeur)
    n1, n2, n3
    Voyeur n1, n2, n3, n4 1x Strongman

Watcher: Learns who visited the target, but not what actions they did

Alignment Cop: Learns whether the target is town or mafia, but not their role

Vigilante: Kills the target

Doctor: Protects the target from kills on that night only (cannot self-protect)

Tracker: Learns who the target visited, but not what actions they did

Roleblocker: Prevents the target from using their action on that night only

Jailkeeper: Performs both a Doctor and Roleblocker action on the target, both protecting and blocking them (cannot self-protect)

Role Cop: Learns the role of the target, but not whether they are town or mafia

Jack of All Trades: Can use one of their abilities per night without repeats

Voyeur: Learns what type of actions were performed on the target, but not who did them

Macho: The player cannot be protected from kills

Strongman: Kills performed with Strongman cannot be stopped in any way (serves no purpose if the player is town)

Ninja: Night actions performed on the night that Ninja is used are invisible to investigative roles (Trackers, Watchers, and Voyeurs)

MECHANICS
    • Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
    • Usage of night actions is optional, but unused actions will be lost.
    • Mafia factional kills are optional. Mafia may submit a factional kill each night, but are not required to. However, starting night 5, the factional kill will be mandatory.
    • Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    • Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.

FAQ
    Please note that Mafia Host - the Modbot - will post a FAQ as well that might contain answers to some questions that aren't covered here.

Q: What changes to the setup have been made since the practice games?

A: The Roleblocker role has been split into two roles, creating 18 total. One role will randomly be excluded from the setup, and the Mafia will be told which one it is. Also, both Tracker roles have gained Strongman modifiers.

Q: What does Cycle mean?

A: Cycle is Modbot terminology for the night(s) on which a role can act. This is an example of how some roles might appear in Role PMs and Role Cop investigations:

Jack of All Trades (x1 Doctor, x1 Jailkeeper, x1 Voyeur) | Cycle 1, 2, 3
    Doctor | Cycle 2, 4
    Alignment Cop | x1 Ninja | Cycle 2
    Macho Watcher | Cycle 1

Q: What do the Voyeur results look like?

A: The Voyeur sees the type of action performed on the target, but not the exact action. Modbot groups the actions into four categories: Protection (Doctor), Manipulative (Roleblocker, Jailkeeper), Killing (Vigilante, Mafia Faction Kill), and Investigative (all others). The Voyeur does not see their own action in their results. This is a sample results PM: "theknightsofneeee had Manipulative, Investigative, Killing done to them."

Q: What is the order of operations? What happens if a roleblocker targets a roleblocker?

A: The automated post at the start of each game contains a FAQ (in a spoiler tag) which answers these questions and more. However, there is one important clarification: the order of operations lists Strongman Kills first because they are immune to blocks, and regular kills are listed ahead of investigative actions because investigative roles can witness killing actions, but this only means that the target is marked for death before other actions are processed. No deaths actually occur until after all actions have been processed. In other words, dying at night never stops a player's action from happening.

The other important pieces of information are that Roleblockers act before Jailkeepers and that those roles are capable of blocking another player who attempts to use the same action. For more detailed information, please consult the aforementioned FAQ.

Q: Can Mafia players target their teammates with night actions?

A: Yes. The Mafia's faction kill cannot be used on a member of their own team, but all other actions (including Vigilante kills) may be used on members of their own team.

Q: Can Doctors and Jailkeepers self-target in order to protect themselves?

A: No.

Q: Which roles can self-target?

A: Only Watchers.

Q: Are the Strongman and Ninja actions limited only to the nights listed on the chart?

A: No. If a player is Mafia, they may use their Strongman or Ninja ability on any night.

Q: Can players be investigated while they are jailkept?

A: Yes. Jailkeep is a combination of roleblock and doctor, neither of which prevent investigations on the target.

Role PMs
    Please go to this page to find the exact wording of the Role PMs: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...oles-Modifiers

# REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNITY BACK-UP(S)
    1 @[NSM] Mikey NSM Forums
    2 @andracass Reborn Evolved @Bazaro
    3 @Bissy Hattrick.org (Romanian) @valyfl
    4 @blinkskater SC2 Mafia @Marshmallow Marshall
    5 @DaBackpack Flash Flash Revolution @Charu
    6 @Duskfall Smogon @Texas Cloverleaf
    7 @Enoch Kaine Hattrick.org (English)
    8 @Ex Bidama Pucodaguma Flow Omega @Blinzer
    9 @footballFOCUS Xtratime
    10 @Fossil Novel Updates @Zone Q11
    11 @Furamirionind 17th Shard @A Joe in the Bush
    12 @Izzy Mafia - A Game Of Trust And Deception Jesse Levi Bennett
    13 @JackShepard Lupus in Tabula
    14 @Jarizok Dark Lord Potter @Duplicitous
    15 @Laughable Chimp Wrestling Forum @Rop
    16 @nutella The Syndicate @Macdougall
    17 @Squigs44 webDiplomacy Nephthys

Spectate the game on our Discord server (950+ members)

Read more about this season here
    Last edited by Lissa; April 29th, 2019 at 05:37 PM.

2. Bookmark ISO #2
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

The boxes below contain very helpful information. If you're a first-time player, we highly recommend that you read through it all.

MAFIA GAME RULES
    Rules may vary from community to community, so we highly advise you to carefully read these rules.

• Only post/talk about the game in this thread. Don't PM other players, unless you are mafia and wish to talk with your teammates. Also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • Don't try to use the form of your role PM. So a screenshot of your role PM would be cheating.
    • You are not allowed to change your avatar, location or any other profile info during game in any way that could be construed as hinting at your role.
    • This is a game of lying. Players are expected to lie. No statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. As an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • If we believe you to be bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill.
    • If you have any questions about rules, send a PM to your host. Avoid asking questions to the host in the thread.
    • Don't ever refer to private communications with the Game Host.
    • If you should ever require a replacement, PM both Thingyman and Lissa and stop posting in the thread.
    • No hydra'ing / multi-accounting is allowed. Do not share your account with anyone else.
    • You are not allowed to reference the post-game voting during the game. I.e. you cannot post "if you lynch me, you're not getting my vote after the game" or anything like that.
    • Treat your fellow players with respect. Hostility will not be tolerated.

Refer to this post for the complete, standard ruleset for mafia games.

I will repeat this particular rule once more in big letters to make sure you understand:

DO NOT EVER REFERENCE THIS GAME OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME THREAD. YOU SHOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME WHATSOEVER ON YOUR HOME SITE. IF PEOPLE ASK YOU QUESTIONS, TELL THEM YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE GAME AND LINK THEM TO THIS THREAD.
    MINIMUM ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS
    All players are required to make a minimum of 10 posts per game day.

The game hosts and tournament organizers reserve all rights to immediately sub out any player not meeting this requirement, regardless of whether or not the player has met the requirement on previous days. Similarly, if players are only meeting this requirement by spamming and/or posting in the last hour of the day, that and similar circumstances would also be cause for substitution.

If players aren't posting, the tournament organizers will always first try to prod the players in question.

SUBSTITUTION PROCEDURE
    If your representative needs to sub out during a QUALIFIER, your community's backup will take their place, assuming 1) you've elected one, 2) they've registered a user on Mafia Universe, and 3) that I'm able to get a hold of them within a reasonable amount of time (i.e. with enough time left in the current phase for the sub to work with).

If I can't get a hold of your backup, I will give the spot to a representative from a community that joined the series late - or failing that, a backup from one of the larger communities.

If your representative needs to sub out during a WILDCARD or FINALE, your community's backup will NOT take their place. Instead the next person who was in line to receive a wildcard or finale spot will take their place.
    As was specified in the invitation, some of you will be picked by the jury to advance to one of this season's two wildcard games. In total, the jury selects 23 players that they feel are deserving of a second chance.

Below is a statement from the jury foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#422)
    Pre-Tournament Statement from the Jury

Hello and good luck to all representatives!

We, the jury, would like to take this occasion to somewhat clarify our mission and criteria. We consist of finalists from Season 5 who have agreed to follow this year's qualifying games in order to select a number of players for the wildcard rounds who were not directly voted in but otherwise displayed skill - to give them a "second chance" of making the finals, in other words.

This past offseason, there was some momentum to make the jury's exact criteria for advancing select players more transparent, in order to give them an idea of things that we're looking for over the course of the games.

The problem with doing this, especially before the games start and we've really had a chance to talk to each other in detail, is that each individual juror has their own opinions of what constitutes a player worthy of advancement. Over the coming months, we'll certainly talk about it, argue about it, and come to a consensus - that's the entire point, after all - but singling out specific things we're looking for at this stage is unfortunately something we cannot do. Nor do we want to unduly influence games by having players play "unnaturally" simply because they know we're observing and judging them.

That said, we will be examining each player's output holistically. How accurate a player's reads are, how sound a player's logic and rationale is behind their reads, how well they know and use the game's mechanics, how well they work with others in order to accomplish their team's goals, and many more traits are all things we'll be taking into account. The only question is how heavily we weigh each trait in determining who to advance to the wildcard round, and that's going to take up a great amount of our time over the coming months.

tl;dr just play your game, try your best, good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

USING THE SOFTWARE

While Mafia Universe runs on vBulletin, we have many custom-made features that you may not have seen anywhere else. Read this guide to learn about them.

The animated images are set to load on click to lessen the load on mobile users.

How do I vote for a player? (Vote // Reply With Vote)

To vote for a player, click the Checked Box icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. A dropdown list of all live players will appear. Select a username to be automatically placed within the Vote BBCode ([V]USERNAME[/V]). When you vote for a new player, the old vote will be automatically removed to make room.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/nkmX4ov.gif
    Click to load this image

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/UNJ2vU2.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I unvote / remove a vote from a player? (Unvote)

To manually unvote and set yourself as Not voting, click the Unchecked Box icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. The username currently being voted for will automatically be placed within the Unvote BBCode ([UNV]USERNAME[/UNV]). The username is optional.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/cqBeZGf.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Vote History? // How do I view all votes cast throughout the game? (Vote History)

Vote History is an ordered list of all votes cast in the game. To view all votes cast throughout the game, click Vote History located in the Game Tools navbar, or below a vote count post. The Vote History page contains instructions on how to filter votes cast.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/oQ1U4JI.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I request a vote count? // How do I view the current votes cast? (Post Votecount)

To generate a current Votecount in-thread, click Post Votecount located in the Game Tools navbar at the top and bottom of the thread.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/7KzsQXW.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I submit a Night Action in an automated game? (Automated Games)

In automated games, you may submit your actions by scrolling to the bottom of the thread and selecting your target(s) from a dropdown list using the Night Action Form for the each action. When you have selected a target, press Submit, and your current target will be changed to the player you selected. Note: Some actions process instantly and cannot be edited, such as Day Kills.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/fusXh6j.gif
    Click to load this image

What is the Thread Summary? // How do I find important game events? // Can I view all Phase updates in one location? (Thread Summary)

The Thread Summary is a list of important events, such as Start and End of Phase, within the thread. Most games will generate them automatically, but hosts, moderators and thread creators can add them for their own events. To view a list of all significant events throughout the game, click Thread Summary located in the Game Tools navbar. A dropdown of all events deemed significant by the Host, including each Phase Update, will be listed.

Alternatively, check the OP and other reserved posts at the beginning of the thread. The [SUMMARY][/SUMMARY] BBCode automatically inserts the thread summary into the post wherever it appears.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/EhHSyl6.gif
    Click to load this image

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/rAEpW1z.gif
    Click to load this image

What is an ISO? // How do I search a single player's posts? (ISO)

An ISO is a search that contains all of one user's posts in that thread. To search for a single player's posts in the thread, click ISO ( short for Isolate) located at the top right of any one of their posts.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/eNDvDMB.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Multi-ISO? // How can I search by more than one user? (Multi-ISO)

A Multi-ISO is a search that contains all posts by multiple users within the thread. It can also be used as a convenient way to ISO a player without finding one of their posts to find an ISO button. To search posts by one or more users at a time, click Multi-ISO located in the Game Tools navbar at the top of the thread. Then, select one or more usernames and click Submit.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/VuOv8Rm.gif
    Click to load this image

What are Bookmarks? // How do I save a post so I can easily access it later? (Bookmarking)

Bookmarks are color-coded notes you can attach to each post for later use. Only you can see your Bookmarks. To save an important post, click Bookmark located at the top right of any single post. Select a color that appears to the right of said post, and enter a note. To remove a saved post, click Un-Bookmark located at the top right of any Bookmarked post.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/OoDuwuM.gif
    Click to load this image

To view all Bookmarks in the thread, click Bookmarks in the Game Tools navbar at the top of the thread.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/uyoJyNB.gif
    Click to load this image

To view all Bookmarks created in all threads, click My Bookmarks located in the Features menu at the top of the page.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/QBhqDUc.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Notepad // Can I write and save notes for a specific game? (Notepad)

The Notepad is a tool you can use for writing and saving notes for games that you are playing. Access it by clicking the Pen icon in the top right of your screen.

If you click it, you will see a Notepad dialog box. This Notepad saves notes for the current game. Only you can see your notes, and only you can edit them, via the same button.

If you do not want to use it, you can disable the icon via a button in the toolbar at the top of the thread.

Note that the disable feature is remembered by the browser, so you will need to disable it on each device if you want to hide it completely.

How do I view all players currently alive? (Living Players List)

To view (and Insert) a list of all players currently alive, click the Crowd icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. A dropdown list of all live players will appear.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/AM2TEez.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I link a specific post in the thread? (POSTNUM)

To link to a specific post without copying the link itself, click the Arrow icon located in the Post Reply toolbar and place the specific post's # within the [POSTNUM] BBCode tags.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/swNxcqd.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I jump between Game Threads (Graveyard / Mafia / Mason / ...) without opening PMs? (Game Threads)

To visit any Game-related threads you have access to, open the Game Threads dropdown in the navbar above any Game-related thread. Every thread will become accessible in the post-game.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/JEG88HG.gif
    Click to load this image
    WHAT THE $#@! DOES "WTF" MEAN?

Are you not familiar with some of the terminology used by the other players? Maybe this will help you: TERMINOLOGY EXPLANATIONS.
    DISCLAIMER ALERT
    The beauty of the Mafia Championship is that it brings communities closer together, and it provides an opportunity for players to learn new playstyles, metas and mechanics. And hopefully make new friends as well.

All that being said, the games can also very quickly become overwhelming and frustrating since you probably won't be able to play completely in the same way that you're used to. You don't necessarily need to adapt, but you will probably need to accept that some of the other players will have a different approach to the game than you.

We hope that you will embrace this as part of the experience. It's easy to grow frustrated with people when you don't know them (imagine how you would have felt playing with your friends on your home site if you didn't know any of them when you played your first game together), so a huge part of playing in the Championship is also getting to know the other players in some way.

Specifically, the seasons have taught us that you should be prepared for:
    • A very high level of activity. On average, there will be 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. This is a melting pot of dedicated and enthusiastic players all gathered in one game.
    • You will likely face very different posting styles: Some will post walls of texts with many quotes, some will post a ton of one-liners, and some people will be very keen to interact in real-time in the thread (using the thread as a chat rather than a thread you pop into a few times a day).
    • A flurry of activity towards the end of the day. This means that if you check out 5 hours before the day ends, you should not be surprised to return the next day to see that the wagons were changed multiple times. If you want your vote to count, be careful to not agree to a game where you can never be around for EOD.
    • A few players in your game will probably have played with each other before. This has become impossible to prevent as increasingly many players have played on Mafia Universe.
    • We do not condone abusive remarks and we have banned several communities from participating based on this before, but each season features dozens of new communities, so there is always a slight risk that you might encounter abusive players. If you do, please report them and we'll take care of it.

Some advice:
    • Get an avatar. This makes it easier for everyone to tell each other apart.
    • You can choose between different forum themes (i.e. make the forum look different) in the bottom left corner of the site. Some of them are better suited for mobile devices than others.
    • Look at your settings. You can customize profanity filter, you can choose to automatically receive email notifications of new replies to the game thread if you wish, and you can edit Posts per Page (many regular MU'ers have it set to 100 per page).
    • If at all possible, try to make a habit out of checking in as regularly as you can, especially during the very beginning of the game. Don't delay your first check-in - or you will face a swamp of posts and you will feel like you're constantly trying to catch up.

Most importantly, just do your best and have fun. The experience is mostly what you make it. There will be tryhards, there will be noobs, there will be meme posters, and there will be people just here to make friends. All are accepted, all are welcome.

All that being said, past seasons have shown that players get more enjoyment out of the games when they make connections with the other players, so we highly encourage you to join our Discord server either before or after the game.
    Last edited by Thingyman; April 29th, 2019 at 02:46 PM.

3. Bookmark ISO #3
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe

1) [NSM] Mikey

REPRESENTING: NSM Forums

NATIONALITY: Minnesotan

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2013

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Ninsheetmusic, last life forums, flashflash revolution, zeldadungeon, mtgsalvation, smogon, bulbagarden, mafiathesyndicate, mafiauniverse

BIO:
    last time I played here I thought I was pretty good. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and I've gotten a lot better since then. Now instead of thinking I'm pretty good I think I'm pretty good.

2) andracass

REPRESENTING: Reborn Evolved

NATIONALITY: Colorado, US

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): May 2018

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Reborn, Evolved

BIO:
    Showed up and stole the show. Developer of Pokemon Reborn.

3) Bissy

REPRESENTING: Hattrick.org (HT Romania)

NATIONALITY: Romania

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2007 live, 2017 forum

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: hattrick.org

BIO:
    I wouldn't say that I'm a very good Mafia player, (probably they've send me here just because I have a good English ), but I'm a very involved one. A pay a lot of attention to details, reason why I can "smell" quite easy something dodgy because at some point, when you'll lie, I'll be there to point at it.
    In our community we play a bit different and we care very little about role reveal, as we enjoy playing the classic mafia, although we have alternated the games with more complex ones as well.
    I prefer to play as mafia, (because it's fun to play the game in a team), as well as playing town as it's more when you're an alignment cop and lynch mafia after mafia.
    My style of play is being very talkative which attracts a lot of lynches back in my community as many of them prefer to stay in the shadow and there is no one else to be lynched.

All the best to everyone and have fun!!

4) blinkskater

REPRESENTING: SC2 Mafia

NATIONALITY: American

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Sc2 Mafia, Mafia Universe, Liars Club

BIO:
    DATA CORRUPT

5) DaBackpack

REPRESENTING: Flash Flash Revolution

NATIONALITY: USA

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: FlashFlashRevolution

BIO:
    I am a level 99 Dancer main (mastered). I usually run R15 Terpsichore/Twashtar but I also sometimes use Aeneas/Twashtar. My favorite subjobs are Samurai, Rune Fencer, and Ninja. I love this job because of its immense flexibility and general utility --- being able to switch between DPS, main healer, off-tank, buffer, and debuffer at will is super exhilarating. Even though I'm the best Dancer on my server my friends usually make me play Geomancer because they're meanies.

Oh also I play mafia sometimes. I am FFR's premier Innocent Child. I love my cats.

6) Duskfall

REPRESENTING: Smogon

NATIONALITY: Irish

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2018

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Smogon, Serene's Forest, MU, 451

BIO:
    I could spend a whole paragraph hyping myself up, or I could just hand out a deep analysis of my game from my good friend Hal's dossier of meta. Here you go!

"Tonal/strategic differences, but also can probably just strongarm into sheeping regardless of his alignment
    Town markers: fights more, more gamesolving
    Does not make sense, probably easy mislynch since I have a good rep with him. Could also just follow one of his tunnels. Probably not problematic, not paranoid as town so can leave until late. OMGUS possible, follow him onto a mislynch and springboard that onto him
    Scum markers: tonal
    Dusk is lot more verbose hedgey as scum, pessimistic, AWKWARD (repeats $#@!, sentences sound more manufactured and sometimes echo each other, not natural). (lovers dance) [maybe outdated?]. Get the feeling he types slower as scum too (edits rereads posts, more self absorbed almost because he needs to reassert what his position is as opposed to his town game where he KNOWS what his position is already)
    Conflict avoidance. Tends to avoid confrontation as scum (whereas as town he talks to specific people, scumgame he leaves thoughts kind of just lying around and recedes into the background). Approach and see what happens I guess
    Lower results:thought ratio as scum (results sort of come out of nowhere, lot more gut than his scumgame). Get the feeling he thinks out his scum posts a lot more than he thinks out his town posts. Fights more, very aggressive, also scumread a lot more idk why."

7) Enoch Kaine

REPRESENTING: Hattrick.org (HT England)

NATIONALITY: Portuguese

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2017

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Hattrick.org and MU

BIO:
    Started playing Mafia games two years ago. Completely hooked on it now. Been playing in a couple of sites and quite enjoying how the set ups allows one to see how other players think and their thought process. Looking forward to taking part in these Championships and experience other players play styles.

8) Ex Bidama Pucodagama

REPRESENTING: Flow Omega

NATIONALITY: American

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2014

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Wolf Game Extreme

BIO:
    Ex Bidama Pucodaguma specializes in his transformative properties as a player. As one of the elite members of Flow he is able to view situations from many different perspectives, allowing him to easily make connections between the subtle details of events that occur during the match. This allows him to easily trace the moves that mafia make throughout the match(as town), as well as allow him to create an appearance for himself that cannot be concluded to be malicious(as mafia). XBP can effortlessly shift between passive and aggressive playstyles, and will use anything at his disposal to throw off people and get a reaction from them. Often times, he will have a complete disregard for his own well being for the sake of others. XBP prefers to play town, as he believes it's the faction which has the inherent advantage as per the way the game is designed. As a magician, he takes great pride in not revealing his secrets.

"Every step we take reveals a new set of doors. Being able to flow through the keyholes of those doors instead of opening them is how you gain a complete understanding of what is going on around you."

"I'm basically playing by myself. I'm out here counting alternate timelines, and you're still stuck not even being able to tell friend from foe."

9) footballFOCUS

REPRESENTING: Xtratime

NATIONALITY: Dark Elf

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2000 AD

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: xtratime.org

BIO:
    I am a sensitive, adventurous and bi-curious elf from England.

I live in the lower chambers of my parent’s castle. I lived free of worries until I was about 30, but at that point things began to change.

I started to travel the worlds of the Old Kingdom, to the far reaches of the Cursed Empire, to the lands of the Fallen Immortals, making many new friends.

Through plenty of trial and error, I learnt the arts of manipulation and illusion, and refining my hunting skills.

I am currently learning to reach full potential. I feel like there is more to learn in this world.

I now await to unsheathe my sword and begin this new journey with my companions.

10) Fossil

REPRESENTING: Novel Updates

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Novel Updates Forum

BIO:
    So, I guess this is my story of how I got roped into this. I originally asked A5G_Reaper if I could join it to try to completely sabotage my side. She said no and that I'd get banned...on both forums. What happened next is that Zone Q11 said that it'd be a great place to train to be a better mafia player! My new goal is to learn how to be a better mafia player so I can screw over my side on Novel Updates Forum when I return all while still being able to win. This will probably not happen, but I want to try nonetheless! As for my track records, I've managed to trick the mafia into thinking I have a passed-on role three days in a row. I only revealed that it wasn't on day 4. I still lived to day 5, but we lost due to hasty decisions. Ah, it was also in a game where roles could be passed on. One such role was healer, which you could get even if you already have a role.

I'm pretty decent at detecting scum, but probably nowhere near the level of people on MU. As for trying to act townie, probably okay as well. I'll probably be average all around, but I hope to learn from this to become a better player! My approach depends on my spare time. I tend to lurk most of the time when I have a lot of work going on, such as school, but I still like to check in and ask what's going on so as to stay in touch. This might happen a few times, so please excuse me. Weekends should be much better. I don't ISO much, instead focusing on what I've gathered through memory.

Aside from that, NUF tends to have a lot of inactives so our general trend is to lynch them. Considering that this is a championship I doubt that will happen, which means it'll be a new experience for me. Regardless, thank you for having me! I hope I'll learn a lot and be able to bring reputation to my forum!

11) Furamirionind

REPRESENTING: 17th Shard

NATIONALITY: United Statesian (that should totally be the official term rather than "American")

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: 17thshard, Chiefdelphi

BIO:
    Furamirionind, Disciple of the Church of Mailliw, commonly known as Fura, started playing mafia all the way back in summer of 2018. With all of their experience, they have managed an impressive 22% (2/9) win rate. However, those knowledgeable on the subject, question that numbers accuracy, as one of those game wins was a free for all, and in the other, Fura was inactive and died night 1.

There is a being controlling Fura however, and that being has a different BIO:
    Team Captain, Lead Programmer, Lead Design & CAD, Strategist, Electrician, PR and Presenting Lead, of FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) team 3574, "The High Tekerz"
    HRA (Highline Robotic Alliance) Executive Council member.
    Dean's List Semi-Finalist x2

Even with all this engineering experience, my passion is education. I was homeschooled from preschool through 8th grade, where I went to public school part time, and then entered running start in 10th grade.
    My Mother is a teacher, and Father works Capital Projects for a school district. Because of this, I have many perspectives on the education system that I think many people lack. Due to my passion to overhaul education in the United States, I have been studying political science and communication in addition to engineering. How I will end up meshing these 2-3 passions... I have no clue. Hopefully I can.

Inventory:
    Blessing of the Gods of Luck and Chance - May they smile on the beholder

Sword of Gambits - For creative and fun acts to ultimately impale yourself

Tongue of a Silverpike - For talking to the sword intending to impale you

Power of Uncertainty - To never trust needlessly those who might wish you and your allies ill

Olaf’s Box of Matches - Use it to set a thread alight with speculation, to roast those with whom you disagree, or to burn the records of any suspicious-looking older posts

Spren of Frustrated Villagerness - It also functions as an excellent Serial Killer Knife, the perfect knife for stabbing everyone who trusts you directly in the back. Be careful about that function, it hurts in the wrong situation

Vin's Daggers - Hard to detect, even by the user

Light of Determination - GAME OVER (It cannot end now!)

Shattered Remnant of Devotion - Throughout all the killing, the power to Cultivate friendships

full Chromium-mind - Luck, that can be stored or used

deck of Tarot cards - Can predict the future?

The Staff of Aralis - Perfect for enforcing sensible discussion

12) Izzy

REPRESENTING: Mafia - A Game Of Trust And Deception

NATIONALITY: British (as $#@!)

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Facebook (we swear we are cool)

BIO:
    I have concocted lies that have destroyed peoples beliefs in humanity. I have taken people on dates and left them in graveyards because I'm into that. I am the destroyer of worlds, the maker of peace, the lover of all you will bend to my will and say 'thank you' for I am IZZY!!!!!

13) JackShepard

REPRESENTING: Lupus in Forum

NATIONALITY: Italian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2012

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Foruml, LiF, Lupusintabulaur, Trusis, Mafia Universe.

BIO:
    4 8 15 16 23 42

14) Jarizok

REPRESENTING: Dark Lord Potter

NATIONALITY: Dutch

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2016

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: DLP, ToS, MU

BIO:
    I like dogs.

15) Laughable Chimp

REPRESENTING: Wrestling Forum

NATIONALITY: Malaysian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2017

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Wrestling Forum, Personality Cafe and MU

BIO:
    I'm officially representing WrestlingForum, but I'm actually retired from the section due to the standards of town play in the section is not to my satisfaction. I'm actually in the process of helping build another section so if any of you'd like to help build a brand new mafia section, would you please click on the link below, sign up the site and post in the thread that you'd like to take part in the game. Ok thanks.https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads/....101192/page-3

16) nutella

REPRESENTING: The Syndicate

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2008

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES:
    The Syndicate
    Lostpedia
    The Piano
    Hedville
    Revolution Mafia
    Mafiascum
    17th Shard
    Uhh I think a few others that I'm forgetting

BIO:
    Hi, I'm nutella, 24 F. Been playing forum mafia since I was 13, mostly in casual communities that spun off from Lostpedia and related communities, and one of the earliest members of The Syndicate. The communities I have played in have been mostly very close-knit groups of people with some very close friendships and lots of inside jokes and idiosyncratic mafia traditions, but through cross-pollination I am largely familiar with terminology and such that is more common on other sites. My personal mafia history is rather varied and my style has evolved over the years, but generally I tend to speak my mind freely in my posts with a balance of developing my own reads and tagging onto other players' cases. Notably, I often change my mind or "flip-flop" (or "waffle" which I like to point out goes well with Nutella) especially early in games, which often gets me in trouble/gets me mislynched, but those who know me well understand it as a town tell. Or so I like to remind them I also often post in a loose/jokey/sassy style, but when I get really invested in a game I can make high-effort case posts as well -- it varies. I can be a hard-ass MVP civilian, or a dangerously innocent-looking scum (I love getting away with bus cred). Sometimes I can underestimate myself, but I have earned a lot of respect on The Syndicate for many hard-earned victories. Fear me! Or not, I can be friendly too.

17) Squigs44

REPRESENTING: webDiplomacy

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2014

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Webdiplomacy

BIO:
    "Squigs has never been seen in the same room as the Batman. It makes one wonder. And while you are wondering, Squigs wins the Mafia game." -dargorygel

Squigs44 has been playing f2f mafia since he was just a pup, and discovered online mafia a few years back and instantly knew that this game was created just for him. A lover of logic and game theory, Squigs dissects games bit by bit, but always knows that in the end, you follow your gut. Squigs prefers playing town, where he can solve the game rather than try to lie and create chaos. His favorite game was Tiny Hunt (town alligned), where he was the highest vote-getter at some point every day, but still managed to escape the lynch everyday and convince town to lynch all of the witches before they could make him into stew (yes, he won MVP). This is Squigs first appearance on MU, and he is excited to meet new players.
    Last edited by Thingyman; April 30th, 2019 at 02:36 AM.

4. Bookmark ISO #4
    Community
    2+2
    Game Information »
    Season 6, Game 1: Cloud City [The Mafia Championship]: Game Information!

This is an automated game of Mafia.

Setup - 17 Players

CLOSED
    • Majority will be in effect starting Day 2. Day 2 onward will end the instant a majority is reached.
    • Town wins when all threats to Town have been eliminated.
    • Mafia factions win when they achieve Parity and all other evil factions have been eliminated at any time.
    • Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    • No Lynching is enabled. Vote for No Lynch to forgo a lynch that Day.
    • Mafia factional kills are optional. Mafia may submit a factional kill each night, but are not required to.
    • Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    • Mafia may communicate at any time.
    • Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.

Phase Lengths

Days are 48 hours in length. Nights are 24 hours in length.

Players

@andracass
    @Bissy
    @blinkskater
    @DaBackpack
    @Duskfall
    @Enoch Kaine
    @Ex Bidama Pucodaguma
    @footballFOCUS
    @Fossil
    @Furamirionind
    @Izzy
    @JackShepard
    @Jarizok
    @Laughable Chimp
    @nutella
    @Squigs44
    @[NSM] Mikey

FAQ

Are you unsure about how actions are processed or how roles interact with each other? Then read more here:

ORDER OF OPERATIONS

Night actions are processed in this order:

Strongman kills
    Roleblocks
    Jails
    Doctors
    Bodyguards
    Kills
    Investigations
    Backups

When an action was submitted during the night will never matter when the actions are processed.

ACTION FEEDBACK

These are the results you will get when you submit certain actions.

Non-investigative roles when they submit an action (they also receive this if they are roleblocked):

Your action on Player A was received.
    Investigative actions return results even if the target dies on the same night.

Actions that count as visits are counted as visits even if the actor dies on the same night.

Investigative roles (Tracker, Cop, etc.) when roleblocked:

Your action on Player B did not return any results.
    Trackers when tracking a person that didn't visit anyone (or if they targeted a Ninja):

Player C did not visit anyone.
    Watchers when watching a person that wasn't visited by anyone (or only visited by a Ninja):

Player D was not visited by anyone.
    Alignment Cop when investigating a town-aligned player (or a Godfather):

Player E is Town
    Watcher when watching a person that was visited by multiple people:

Player F was visited by Player G, Player H, Player I
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I submit my action?
    Use the form below the game thread. If your role has a night action, the form will only be visible during night phases. It's not possible to submit actions in advance of the night phase.

What does it mean if the Mafia Host says that night kills are assigned?
    In games with this setting turned on, the member of the mafia team that made the most recent night kill submission will be the one assigned to the kill, which means that the kill can be blocked if a Town Roleblocker or Town Jailkeeper target the mafia player in question. Similarly, the kill can be tracked and watched by Town Trackers and Town Watchers. If this setting isn't turned on, then it doesn't matter who the last person to submit the mafia kill is, as the kill is unblockable and untrackable in this case.

Where do I find example role PM's?
    This thread contains example role PM's for all roles currently supported by the Modbot as well as information on the various modifiers. Here you will find the answers to a lot of questions not covered in this FAQ section.

Which roles can self-target?
    Only Watchers are able to use their ability on themselves at night. This means that Doctors or Jailkeepers aren't able to protect themselves, for example.

Which roles are not able to target the same players on consecutive nights?
    Doctors, Jailkeepers, and Roleblockers are not allowed to target the same player twice in a row. Everyone else is, including Bodyguards. Note that this non-consecutive restriction still holds true even if one of these three roles were blocked the night before when targeting the person that they're attempting to target again.

What happens if Jailkeeper A and Jailkeeper B or Roleblocker A and Roleblocker B target each other (and are not targetted by other blockers)?
    In the case of Jailkeepers, they will block and protect each other. In the case of Roleblockers, they also block each other. This means that the two players are trackable to each other that night by Trackers and Watchers. It also means that if one of them is mafia and happens to simultaneously be the one submitting the factional kill that night in a game with assigned kills, then this kill is blocked. This same principle applies to longer loops. I.e. in a A > B > C > D > A loop, everyone is blocked.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Jailkeeper A?
    Jailkeeper A will be blocked in this scenario. Refer to the order of operations: Roleblocks process before jails.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Player C?
    As stated above, roleblocks process before jails, so Roleblocker B will successfully block Player C. I.e. Jailkeeper A will fail to block Roleblocker B, but will still protect Roleblocker B.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Jailkeeper B and Jailkeeper B targets Jailkeeper C (who isn't targeting any of the former two)?
    In this case, Jailkeeper A would prevent Jailkeeper B's block from occuring, meaning that Jailkeeper C's action is not blocked.

If an X-Shot role is blocked while using a shot, do they lose that shot forever?
    Yes. A 1-shot Vigilante being blocked while attempting to kill someone will not have their shot refunded.

If someone with a Strongman modifier kills Player A who is protected by Bodyguard B, who dies?
    Player A will die, and Bodyguard B will survive.

Can a mafia team choose not to kill anyone during a night?
    The host can determine this using the Mafia Factional Kill setting. Kills can be mandatory, optional, or disabled altogether.

The default is No. The mafia factional kill is compulsory. This is done in order to avoid deadlocked games where the town keeps no lynching and the mafia refuses to submit a kill. If the game has assigned kills, it will be randomized which member of the team is carrying out the kill.

If there is only one mafia member left in a game without assigned kills, can the mafia factional kill then be blocked and/or tracked?
    No.

Can the mafia submit a kill for one of their own members?
    No.

If I kill someone, does their night action, if they have one, still succeed?
    Yes, killing someone doesn't prevent them from performing their night action (unless they investigated someone, in which case they will not receive a report). Refer to the order of operations: All kills happen at the end of the night, and everyone pulls the trigger simultaneously.

Can individual night actions be proxied on mafia teams?
    No. If the mafia team has a Mafia Roleblocker, for example, and they want to use this role's action, then the player occupying that slot must submit the action themselves.

If a Lover is shot during the night, while the other Lover is protected that night, does the other Lover still die?
    Yes. It's not possible to prevent a Lover from dying of love sickness.

If a Bodyguard protects Lover A, while Lover B is shot during that same night, what happens?
    A dies of love sickness and Bodyguard lives.

If there are any Innocent Childs in the game, are these confirmed in the thread right when the game begins?
    No. Innocent Childs are able to decide themselves when or if they wish to have the Modbot confirm their role and alignment in the thread. Note that this is exclusively a day action and that it can take up to one minute for the Modbot to process the action.

What results are Alignment Cops, Full Cops and Role Cops given if they investigate a Godfather or a Miller?
    Alignment Cops are told "Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia" for Millers. Full Cops are told "Vanilla Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia Goon" for Millers. Role Cops are told "Godfather" for Godfathers and "Miller" for Millers.

Can Role Cops tell the difference between a Vanilla Town and Mafia Goon?
    No. They are told "Vanilla" when investigating either of these two roles.

If I roleblock someone with a Bulletproof Vest, will that nullify the effect of the vest?
    No. Bulletproof Vests are passive modifiers that cannot be blocked from working.

If I roleblock Masons, Neighbors or Lovers with out of thread communication privileges, can I prevent them from talking at night?
    No.

If I roleblock a Godfather, will they still be revealed as being town-aligned to Alignment Cops and Full Cops that night?
    Yes.

USING THE SOFTWARE

Are you wondering about how to vote, submit night actions or multi-isolate players? Read about this and more here:

VOTING BBCODES

Our forum votes for someone by using the vote tags: [V]Thingyman[/V]. Preview:

##Vote Thingyman

Make sure that you spell out the full, correct name. Abbreviations or misspelled names will not be registered by the Modbot.

To unvote, use the tags: [UNV][/UNV] . When unvoting you do not need to enter the name of the person that you are unvoting. Preview:

##Unvote

VOTING BUTTONS

You can also quickly vote for someone by clicking on the box with a checkmark icon, which will bring up an alphabetized dropdown containing the names of living players:

This will insert [V][/V] tags with the name of the player you selected in the dropdown, perfect every time.

Click the empty checkbox button to insert [UNV][/UNV].

SUBMITTING NIGHT ACTIONS

If you have a night action, simply submit this at night by scrolling to the bottom of the game thread. Here you will find a night action form like this:

Click the dropdown and select the player whom you wish to use your night action on. You can change it as many times as you wish before the deadline expires.

CALLING UP A VOTECOUNT

Votecounts will appear automatically at various intervals, but you can also call up votecounts yourself by following these steps:

First, you need to apply to join "Mafia Game Hosts" under Permission Groups.

Second, once your request has been approved, you will be able to call up votecounts by simply pushing the "Post Votecount" button in the top right corner of any game thread that you'd like an updated votecount for.

VIEWING VOTE HISTORY

There are three ways to access the vote history for any game.

1. Click on the "Vote History" button in the top right corner of the game thread:

2. Click on the "View Vote History" link, which accompanies all votecounts:

3. Click on Modbot in the top forum menu. This will give you a list of ongoing and completed games:

Next, simply click on "Vote History" to view all votes for that game.

Following any of the above three steps will bring you to an overview like this one:

Click on a Voter's username to view all of the votes by their slot.

Click on a Target's username to view all of the votes for their slot.

ISOLATING A PLAYER'S POSTS

If you wish to read a player's posts in isolation, simply click on "ISO" in the top right corner of one of that player's posts in the relevant thread as illustrated here:

Alternatively, you can access a player's posts in isolation by clicking on the number next to "Replies:" in the forum lobby.

Doing so will pull up a window listing the post counts for everyone who has posted in that thread. You access someone's posts in isolation by simply clicking on the number next to "Posts:" for that person.

The ISO view itself has Quote and Multi-Quote buttons inside it, which will make it very easy to quickly quote a lot of a player's posts for analysis or commentary:

MULTI-ISOLATING

If you wish to read not just one player's posts, but you want to ISO multiple players, then click the "Multi ISO" button to the left of "Game Tools" and select the players in question as shown here:

MULTI-QUOTING WHILE THREAD IS LOCKED

Note that you can multi-quote posts from even locked game threads. This is useful for when you wish to reread the game and do work during night phases.

After quoting the relevant posts, you simply open a different, opened thread and press "Go Advanced". Then add the quotes to your post by clicking the prompt below the post area as shown here:

Now, of course you can't post your work in the game thread while the thread is locked, but you can copy paste and save your work to a local file or the cloud and have it ready to post the very next day phase (if you're still alive, that is).