Thread: Season 6, Game 3: The Good Place [The Mafia Championship]

1. Bookmark ISO #1
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe
    Season 6, Game 3: The Good Place [The Mafia Championship]

SEASON 6, GAME 3: THE GOOD PLACE (MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP)

Welcome to Season 6 of the Mafia Championship!

An international forum-based tournament for Mafia players from 187 different communities

Sponsored by Werewolf Online

Hosted By: Our automated @Mafia Host w/ @sheepsaysmeep providing flavor
    Start Date: May 13, 2019
    Start of Day/End of Day: 1 AM EDT/1 PM EDT (06.00/18.00 UK time)
    Phase Lengths: 36/12
    Lynch Mechanics: Deadline Lynch (person with most votes is lynched at the end of the deadline). In case of a tie, one of the tied players will randomly be lynched. No lynch is a valid vote. Starting Day 2, Majority is enabled, meaning the players can end day early if someone attains a majority of the votes.
    Night Chat In Thread: No, thread will be locked during Night Phases
    Out of Thread Communication: Only the Mafia team may communicate with each other outside of the thread (24/7)
    LYLO Rules: Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO. I.e. when the game reaches a point where one more mislynch leads to a loss, you cannot change your vote once you have cast it.
    Minimum Posting Requirement: Minimum 10 posts per Game Day
    Maximum Posts Allowed: 175 posts per player per Game Day (restriction is lifted 2 hours before EOD though, so if you've reached your max you can post again at that time).
    ROLES
    13x Town
    4x Mafia

Of the following 18 roles, 1 will randomly be discarded and the other 17 will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart. The Mafia will be told which role is not present in the game.

Role Acts On These Nights Modifier
    Watcher n1 Only Macho
    Watcher n2 Only
    Alignment Cop n2 Only 1x Ninja
    Alignment Cop n3 Only 1x Ninja
    Vigilante n2 Only
    Vigilante n3 Only
    Doctor n1, n3
    Doctor n2, n4
    Tracker n1, n3 1x Strongman
    Tracker n2, n4 1x Strongman
    Jailkeeper n1, n3
    Jailkeeper n2, n4
    Roleblocker n1, n3
    Roleblocker n2, n4
    Role Cop n1, n2, n3 1x Strongman
    Jack of All Trades
    (Role Cop, Tracker, Roleblocker)
    n1, n2, n3
    Jack of All Trades
    (Doctor, Jailkeeper, Voyeur)
    n1, n2, n3
    Voyeur n1, n2, n3, n4 1x Strongman

Watcher: Learns who visited the target, but not what actions they did

Alignment Cop: Learns whether the target is town or mafia, but not their role

Vigilante: Kills the target

Doctor: Protects the target from kills on that night only (cannot self-protect)

Tracker: Learns who the target visited, but not what actions they did

Roleblocker: Prevents the target from using their action on that night only

Jailkeeper: Performs both a Doctor and Roleblocker action on the target, both protecting and blocking them (cannot self-protect)

Role Cop: Learns the role of the target, but not whether they are town or mafia

Jack of All Trades: Can use one of their abilities per night without repeats

Voyeur: Learns what type of actions were performed on the target, but not who did them

Macho: The player cannot be protected from kills

Strongman: Kills performed with Strongman cannot be stopped in any way (serves no purpose if the player is town)

Ninja: Night actions performed on the night that Ninja is used are invisible to investigative roles (Trackers, Watchers, and Voyeurs)

MECHANICS
    • Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
    • Usage of night actions is optional, but unused actions will be lost.
    • Mafia factional kills are optional. Mafia may submit a factional kill each night, but are not required to. However, starting night 5, the factional kill will be mandatory.
    • Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    • Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.

FAQ
    Please note that Mafia Host - the Modbot - will post a FAQ as well that might contain answers to some questions that aren't covered here.

Q: What changes to the setup have been made since the practice games?

A: The Roleblocker role has been split into two roles, creating 18 total. One role will randomly be excluded from the setup, and the Mafia will be told which one it is. Also, both Tracker roles have gained Strongman modifiers.

Q: What does Cycle mean?

A: Cycle is Modbot terminology for the night(s) on which a role can act. This is an example of how some roles might appear in Role PMs and Role Cop investigations:

Jack of All Trades (x1 Doctor, x1 Jailkeeper, x1 Voyeur) | Cycle 1, 2, 3
    Doctor | Cycle 2, 4
    Alignment Cop | x1 Ninja | Cycle 2
    Macho Watcher | Cycle 1

Q: What do the Voyeur results look like?

A: The Voyeur sees the type of action performed on the target, but not the exact action. Modbot groups the actions into four categories: Protection (Doctor), Manipulative (Roleblocker, Jailkeeper), Killing (Vigilante, Mafia Faction Kill), and Investigative (all others). The Voyeur does not see their own action in their results. This is a sample results PM: "theknightsofneeee had Manipulative, Investigative, Killing done to them."

Q: What is the order of operations? What happens if a roleblocker targets a roleblocker?

A: The automated post at the start of each game contains a FAQ (in a spoiler tag) which answers these questions and more. However, there is one important clarification: the order of operations lists Strongman Kills first because they are immune to blocks, and regular kills are listed ahead of investigative actions because investigative roles can witness killing actions, but this only means that the target is marked for death before other actions are processed. No deaths actually occur until after all actions have been processed. In other words, dying at night never stops a player's action from happening.

The other important pieces of information are that Roleblockers act before Jailkeepers and that those roles are capable of blocking another player who attempts to use the same action. For more detailed information, please consult the aforementioned FAQ.

Q: Can Mafia players target their teammates with night actions?

A: Yes. The Mafia's faction kill cannot be used on a member of their own team, but all other actions (including Vigilante kills) may be used on members of their own team.

Q: Can Doctors and Jailkeepers self-target in order to protect themselves?

A: No.

Q: Which roles can self-target?

A: Only Watchers.

Q: Are the Strongman and Ninja actions limited only to the nights listed on the chart?

A: No. If a player is Mafia, they may use their Strongman or Ninja ability on any night.

Q: Can players be investigated while they are jailkept?

A: Yes. Jailkeep is a combination of roleblock and doctor, neither of which prevent investigations on the target.

Role PMs
    Please go to this page to find the exact wording of the Role PMs: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...oles-Modifiers

# REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNITY BACK-UP(S)
    1 @Baloth Hattrick.org (Italian)
    2 @BleedingRayne Rabbit Doubt Gaming @Degree
    3 @critic I-Novae Studios
    4 @DarkRula GRcade
    5 @divinity666 Werwölfe von Düsterwald - Online
    6 @jeekaka Kylä @justy
    7 @JJosh_h Paranoia Paradise @aaronadowdy
    8 @jseadog1 PCM.daily
    9 @Lads The Comment Section
    10 @Master54 GreyWolf WolfLand realMustafa
    11 @minie SecretHitler.io
    12 @Misanthrope Firkinmafia
    13 @RedDevil19 Football Forums
    14 @Schmiznurf RedCafe
    15 @Spiny Creature The Avocado @forget_it_jake
    16 @V For Vendetta TalkCeltic
    17 @Xaver Werwolf Online

Spectate the game on our Discord server (1,000+ members)

Read more about this season here

HELPFUL INFORMATION

The boxes below contain very helpful information. If you're a first-time player, we highly recommend that you read through it all.

MAFIA GAME RULES
    Rules may vary from community to community, so we highly advise you to carefully read these rules.

• Only post/talk about the game in this thread. Don't PM other players, unless you are mafia and wish to talk with your teammates. Also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • Don't try to use the form of your role PM. So a screenshot of your role PM would be cheating.
    • You are not allowed to change your avatar, location or any other profile info during game in any way that could be construed as hinting at your role.
    • This is a game of lying. Players are expected to lie. No statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. As an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • If we believe you to be bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill.
    • If you have any questions about rules, send a PM to your host. Avoid asking questions to the host in the thread. And definitely do not make a post in the game thread asking the host to sub out a player. If you feel that a player is not being active enough, PM Thingyman or Lissa about it (but we're always keeping an eye on this anyway, so don't worry).
    • Don't ever refer to private communications with the Game Host.
    • If you should ever require a replacement, PM both Thingyman and Lissa and stop posting in the thread.
    • No hydra'ing / multi-accounting is allowed. Do not share your account with anyone else.
    • You are not allowed to reference the post-game voting during the game. I.e. you cannot post "if you lynch me, you're not getting my vote after the game" or anything like that.
    • Treat your fellow players with respect. Hostility will not be tolerated.

Refer to this post for the complete, standard ruleset for mafia games.

I will repeat this particular rule once more in big letters to make sure you understand:

DO NOT EVER REFERENCE THIS GAME OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME THREAD. YOU SHOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME WHATSOEVER ON YOUR HOME SITE. IF PEOPLE ASK YOU QUESTIONS, TELL THEM YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE GAME AND LINK THEM TO THIS THREAD.
    MINIMUM ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS
    All players are required to make a minimum of 10 posts per game day.

The game hosts and tournament organizers reserve all rights to immediately sub out any player not meeting this requirement, regardless of whether or not the player has met the requirement on previous days. Similarly, if players are only meeting this requirement by spamming and/or posting in the last hour of the day, that and similar circumstances would also be cause for substitution.

If players aren't posting, the tournament organizers will always first try to prod the players in question.

SUBSTITUTION PROCEDURE
    If your representative needs to sub out during a QUALIFIER, your community's backup will take their place, assuming 1) you've elected one, 2) they've registered a user on Mafia Universe, and 3) that I'm able to get a hold of them within a reasonable amount of time (i.e. with enough time left in the current phase for the sub to work with).

If I can't get a hold of your backup, I will give the spot to a representative from a community that joined the series late - or failing that, a backup from one of the larger communities.

If your representative needs to sub out during a WILDCARD or FINALE, your community's backup will NOT take their place. Instead the next person who was in line to receive a wildcard or finale spot will take their place.
    As was specified in the invitation, some of you will be picked by the jury to advance to one of this season's two wildcard games. In total, the jury selects 23 players that they feel are deserving of a second chance.

Below is a statement from the jury foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#422)
    Pre-Tournament Statement from the Jury

Hello and good luck to all representatives!

We, the jury, would like to take this occasion to somewhat clarify our mission and criteria. We consist of finalists from Season 5 who have agreed to follow this year's qualifying games in order to select a number of players for the wildcard rounds who were not directly voted in but otherwise displayed skill - to give them a "second chance" of making the finals, in other words.

This past offseason, there was some momentum to make the jury's exact criteria for advancing select players more transparent, in order to give them an idea of things that we're looking for over the course of the games.

The problem with doing this, especially before the games start and we've really had a chance to talk to each other in detail, is that each individual juror has their own opinions of what constitutes a player worthy of advancement. Over the coming months, we'll certainly talk about it, argue about it, and come to a consensus - that's the entire point, after all - but singling out specific things we're looking for at this stage is unfortunately something we cannot do. Nor do we want to unduly influence games by having players play "unnaturally" simply because they know we're observing and judging them.

That said, we will be examining each player's output holistically. How accurate a player's reads are, how sound a player's logic and rationale is behind their reads, how well they know and use the game's mechanics, how well they work with others in order to accomplish their team's goals, and many more traits are all things we'll be taking into account. The only question is how heavily we weigh each trait in determining who to advance to the wildcard round, and that's going to take up a great amount of our time over the coming months.

tl;dr just play your game, try your best, good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

USING THE SOFTWARE

While Mafia Universe runs on vBulletin, we have many custom-made features that you may not have seen anywhere else. Read this guide to learn about them.

The animated images are set to load on click to lessen the load on mobile users.

How do I vote for a player? (Vote // Reply With Vote)

To vote for a player, click the Checked Box icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. A dropdown list of all live players will appear. Select a username to be automatically placed within the Vote BBCode ([V]USERNAME[/V]). When you vote for a new player, the old vote will be automatically removed to make room.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/nkmX4ov.gif
    Click to load this image

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/UNJ2vU2.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I unvote / remove a vote from a player? (Unvote)

To manually unvote and set yourself as Not voting, click the Unchecked Box icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. The username currently being voted for will automatically be placed within the Unvote BBCode ([UNV]USERNAME[/UNV]). The username is optional.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/cqBeZGf.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Vote History? // How do I view all votes cast throughout the game? (Vote History)

Vote History is an ordered list of all votes cast in the game. To view all votes cast throughout the game, click Vote History located in the Game Tools navbar, or below a vote count post. The Vote History page contains instructions on how to filter votes cast.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/oQ1U4JI.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I request a vote count? // How do I view the current votes cast? (Post Votecount)

To generate a current Votecount in-thread, click Post Votecount located in the Game Tools navbar at the top and bottom of the thread.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/7KzsQXW.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I submit a Night Action in an automated game? (Automated Games)

In automated games, you may submit your actions by scrolling to the bottom of the thread and selecting your target(s) from a dropdown list using the Night Action Form for the each action. When you have selected a target, press Submit, and your current target will be changed to the player you selected. Note: Some actions process instantly and cannot be edited, such as Day Kills.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/fusXh6j.gif
    Click to load this image

What is the Thread Summary? // How do I find important game events? // Can I view all Phase updates in one location? (Thread Summary)

The Thread Summary is a list of important events, such as Start and End of Phase, within the thread. Most games will generate them automatically, but hosts, moderators and thread creators can add them for their own events. To view a list of all significant events throughout the game, click Thread Summary located in the Game Tools navbar. A dropdown of all events deemed significant by the Host, including each Phase Update, will be listed.

Alternatively, check the OP and other reserved posts at the beginning of the thread. The [SUMMARY][/SUMMARY] BBCode automatically inserts the thread summary into the post wherever it appears.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/EhHSyl6.gif
    Click to load this image

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/rAEpW1z.gif
    Click to load this image

What is an ISO? // How do I search a single player's posts? (ISO)

An ISO is a search that contains all of one user's posts in that thread. To search for a single player's posts in the thread, click ISO ( short for Isolate) located at the top right of any one of their posts.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/eNDvDMB.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Multi-ISO? // How can I search by more than one user? (Multi-ISO)

A Multi-ISO is a search that contains all posts by multiple users within the thread. It can also be used as a convenient way to ISO a player without finding one of their posts to find an ISO button. To search posts by one or more users at a time, click Multi-ISO located in the Game Tools navbar at the top of the thread. Then, select one or more usernames and click Submit.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/VuOv8Rm.gif
    Click to load this image

What are Bookmarks? // How do I save a post so I can easily access it later? (Bookmarking)

Bookmarks are color-coded notes you can attach to each post for later use. Only you can see your Bookmarks. To save an important post, click Bookmark located at the top right of any single post. Select a color that appears to the right of said post, and enter a note. To remove a saved post, click Un-Bookmark located at the top right of any Bookmarked post.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/OoDuwuM.gif
    Click to load this image

To view all Bookmarks in the thread, click Bookmarks in the Game Tools navbar at the top of the thread.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/uyoJyNB.gif
    Click to load this image

To view all Bookmarks created in all threads, click My Bookmarks located in the Features menu at the top of the page.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/QBhqDUc.gif
    Click to load this image

What is Notepad // Can I write and save notes for a specific game? (Notepad)

The Notepad is a tool you can use for writing and saving notes for games that you are playing. Access it by clicking the Pen icon in the top right of your screen.

If you click it, you will see a Notepad dialog box. This Notepad saves notes for the current game. Only you can see your notes, and only you can edit them, via the same button.

If you do not want to use it, you can disable the icon via a button in the toolbar at the top of the thread.

Note that the disable feature is remembered by the browser, so you will need to disable it on each device if you want to hide it completely.

How do I view all players currently alive? (Living Players List)

To view (and Insert) a list of all players currently alive, click the Crowd icon located in the Post Reply toolbar. A dropdown list of all live players will appear.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/AM2TEez.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I link a specific post in the thread? (POSTNUM)

To link to a specific post without copying the link itself, click the Arrow icon located in the Post Reply toolbar and place the specific post's # within the [POSTNUM] BBCode tags.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/swNxcqd.gif
    Click to load this image

How do I jump between Game Threads (Graveyard / Mafia / Mason / ...) without opening PMs? (Game Threads)

To visit any Game-related threads you have access to, open the Game Threads dropdown in the navbar above any Game-related thread. Every thread will become accessible in the post-game.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/JEG88HG.gif
    Click to load this image
    WHAT THE $#@! DOES "WTF" MEAN?

Are you not familiar with some of the terminology used by the other players? Maybe this will help you: TERMINOLOGY EXPLANATIONS.
    DISCLAIMER ALERT
    The beauty of the Mafia Championship is that it brings communities closer together, and it provides an opportunity for players to learn new playstyles, metas and mechanics. And hopefully make new friends as well.

All that being said, the games can also very quickly become overwhelming and frustrating since you probably won't be able to play completely in the same way that you're used to. You don't necessarily need to adapt, but you will probably need to accept that some of the other players will have a different approach to the game than you.

We hope that you will embrace this as part of the experience. It's easy to grow frustrated with people when you don't know them (imagine how you would have felt playing with your friends on your home site if you didn't know any of them when you played your first game together), so a huge part of playing in the Championship is also getting to know the other players in some way.

Specifically, the seasons have taught us that you should be prepared for:
    • A very high level of activity. On average, there will be 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. This is a melting pot of dedicated and enthusiastic players all gathered in one game.
    • You will likely face very different posting styles: Some will post walls of texts with many quotes, some will post a ton of one-liners, and some people will be very keen to interact in real-time in the thread (using the thread as a chat rather than a thread you pop into a few times a day).
    • A flurry of activity towards the end of the day. This means that if you check out 5 hours before the day ends, you should not be surprised to return the next day to see that the wagons were changed multiple times. If you want your vote to count, be careful to not agree to a game where you can never be around for EOD.
    • A few players in your game will probably have played with each other before. This has become impossible to prevent as increasingly many players have played on Mafia Universe.
    • We do not condone abusive remarks and we have banned several communities from participating based on this before, but each season features dozens of new communities, so there is always a slight risk that you might encounter abusive players. If you do, please report them and we'll take care of it.

Some advice:
    • Get an avatar. This makes it easier for everyone to tell each other apart.
    • You can choose between different forum themes (i.e. make the forum look different) in the bottom left corner of the site. Some of them are better suited for mobile devices than others.
    • Look at your settings. You can customize profanity filter, you can choose to automatically receive email notifications of new replies to the game thread if you wish, and you can edit Posts per Page (many regular MU'ers have it set to 100 per page).
    • If at all possible, try to make a habit out of checking in as regularly as you can, especially during the very beginning of the game. Don't delay your first check-in - or you will face a swamp of posts and you will feel like you're constantly trying to catch up.

Most importantly, just do your best and have fun. The experience is mostly what you make it. There will be tryhards, there will be noobs, there will be meme posters, and there will be people just here to make friends. All are accepted, all are welcome.

All that being said, past seasons have shown that players get more enjoyment out of the games when they make connections with the other players, so we highly encourage you to join our Discord server either before or after the game.

FINAL NOTES

This is already covered in "Using our software" above, but since this is a role-heavy automated game with a lot of new players to the site, we want to make extra sure that people are submitting night actions correctly.

All roles have actions to use, and these actions can only be used on certain nights. The Cycle modifier part of your role will make it clear which nights you can use your action on. For example, if your role ends with "Cycle 2, 4", you can use your night action on nights 2 and 4.

One more thing that's important to understand is that you can pre-submit your actions for any given night on the day phase leading up to that night. So if you know that you'll be away during the night phase, or even if you're afraid that you might just forget, you can just submit it in advance. I.e. if your role has a Cycle 1 modifier, you can submit your action at any point on Day 1 - you don't need to wait until Night 1 begins.

If you choose to not use your action on a night that you are able to use it on, you will lose it and will not be able to "save" it for later.

How do I submit my Night Action?

In automated games, you may submit your actions by scrolling to the bottom of the thread and selecting your target(s) from a dropdown list using the Night Action Form for the each action. When you have selected a target, press Submit, and your current target will be changed to the player you selected.

Big Image: http://i.imgur.com/fusXh6j.gif
    Click to load this image

You can change your action as many times as you'd like. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sending your action via PM to the host does NOT work! You need to use the form!

The Mafia Championship is, first and foremost, about building bonds between communities and creating new friendships.

You are all here to compete, but you are also here to represent your home community. Amongst the 187 communities that are participating this year, we have many different community types, nationalities, playstyles and experience levels represented. The Mafia Championship is all about celebrating these differences and opening up an opportunity for us all to learn from each other.

As long as you are playing to win, there is no wrong way to play this game. Some people enjoy roleplaying, some enjoy "$#@!posting", some enjoy solving the logic puzzle, and some enjoy an aggressive approach to discerning others' alignments. They are all valid playstyles.

So we ask that, in the true spirit of the Mafia Championship, that you, as players, do your best to enjoy the experience for what it is: A melting pot of unique and wildly varying playstyles and personalities. You may grow frustrated at times. In fact, it is easy to grow frustrated when you're playing with people that you don't know, which is why we also hope that - besides following our Code of Conduct - you'll make an effort to get to know your fellow players at least a little bit. As the five previous seasons have shown, a majority of you will make several friends from this game.

Good luck and have fun!

/Thingyman
    Last edited by Thingyman; May 13th, 2019 at 02:06 PM.

2. Bookmark ISO #2
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe

1) Baloth

REPRESENTING: Hattrick.org (Italian)

NATIONALITY: Italy

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): ?

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Hattrick.org (Italian)

BIO:
    I have never played Mafia here. I played (and mastered) a similar type of game in Hattrick, we have always a lot of fun and a lot of discussion in those games ;-)

2) BleedingRayne

REPRESENTING: Rabbit Doubt Gaming

NATIONALITY: United States

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): I suppose 2011

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Rabbit Doubt Gaming

BIO:
    I don't like writing about myself so I will tell you that I won an award for being most trollish in one game and a Rock Paper Scissors tournament in another. I'll also leave you with the following quotes that we're either said to me or about me in our own discord server. Their validity is up to your own interpretation.
    "i blame rayne"
    "Rayne is Rayne"
    "i hate you rayne"
    "let's just hang rayne"
    "Rayne does a slither"
    "rayne is actually a car"
    "it’s edgy if rayne likes it"
    "rayne is final boss omg"
    "DON'T VOTE ME RAYNE"
    "Nah, rayne is totally a guy"
    "Im no undead like u rayne"
    "Rayne hannibal confirmed"
    "petition to have rayne killed"
    "should call you master rayne"
    "Rayne's silence speaks volumes"
    "of course, rayne notices the skull"
    "Rayne is too scary to be a unicorn"
    "baby <-- how we all look to Rayne"
    "Three evil cats...that is concerning"
    "I nominate Rayne as the new Queen"
    "dang it rayne now i want green chile"
    "I kind of want to hang rayne anyway"
    "Rayne is a gal?? I had my suspicions"
    "someone tell me how to delete rayne"
    "this is why you don't get a gold star rayne"
    "my running theory is that she is a daemon"
    "why is rayne always talking about suicides"
    "God I hope rayne didn't see that, she scares me"
    "maybe rayne is pulling the string in the shadows"
    "Rayne is something I haven't been able to identify"
    "rayne... it's not a code if you only use one character!"
    "nah, i love rayne’s edginess. makes me feel non-edgy"
    "wait rayne you didnt answer if you want to kill me or not"
    "Spooky month is every month when rayne is in the server"
    "of course rayne immediatly asks for pics of a blood moon"
    "shouldn't cheescake, being life, actually make rayne immortal"
    "Rayne spent an entire minute or two looking for an eyeball emoji"
    "what if the blood of the blood rain is rayne’s blood because she’s bleeding"
    "having seen rayne's nails... Rayne's claws look like properly lethal weapons"
    "Make our minds bleed from such magnificence words you will transmit, Rayne"
    "an invisible rayne would make me never want to go to a RD meetup if one of those ever happened"
    "I love rayne's edginess because it makes my goth stuff seem tame that and rayne just makes it work"
    "the only one here who scares me is Rayne because Rayne is better than me in every aspect I attempt to be creepy in"

3) critic

REPRESENTING: I-Novae Studios

NATIONALITY: Croation/Serbian/South African

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): ~2013

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Infinity - I-Novae Studios

BIO:
    I manage to die in every mafia game due to hitting hard on a wolf or two, substitute player here, no accolades or achievements except for being available to play. Actually I somehow end up with a lethal weapon in nearly every game.

4) DarkRula

REPRESENTING: GRcade

NATIONALITY: British

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2018

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: GRcade and Neoseeker

BIO:
    A member of the community that was once ONM and has since merged with GRcade, the history of former Future sites have always included a good game of mafia. While I'm new to the game, I have enjoyed my time with it, looking into the character and interaction of those playing. While not entirely accurate with reads, I look for what I need and do what I must to act on them. I will do everything I can to upend the raft of the mafia, and make sure none of them can file a complaint. We'll then host a celebration on the party boat and all just fall asleep.

5) divinity666

REPRESENTING: Werwölfe von Düsterwald - Online

NATIONALITY: German

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 10 years ago

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Warcraft 3 Mod, Real Life, Town of Salem, Discord Server

BIO:
    dont have much to say about myself sooo...
    I think i can be a very good player...i am funny and toxic ...
    I love it to play as a Jester or some normal townsfolk without any skills ... sooo i can feel really smart when i reveal the mafia or other evildoers x3

6) jeekaka

REPRESENTING: Kylä

NATIONALITY: Finnish

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2011

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Kylä

BIO:
    I just casually play mafia when I'm not drinking red wine served by my neighbour's latex slave.

7) JJosh_h

REPRESENTING: Paranoia Paradise

NATIONALITY: American

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2015 (werewolf, close enough; online ~2017)

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Paranoia Paradise, Play by Post, Lynch or Be Lunch (all on FB)

BIO:
    I probably won't survive very long. I tend to play very chaotically in a way to confuse other players. Overtime, that builds a repertoire with the other players who know me where just because what I am doing is suspicious or confusing doesn't make me evil. Of course, I don't have the convenience of having people who know me here! So I might struggle 😛

8) jseadog1

REPRESENTING: PCM.daily

NATIONALITY: USA

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2015

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: PCM.Daily

BIO:
    I am one of the Top 25 users on the forum PCM.Daily, a cycling based forum where I am mostly involved in NON-Cycling related topics/games. I have played mafia ever since it started on the site. I have been wrongfully killed many times but in the end have always been found to have been telling the truth. My favorite role to play is the detective and I don't have a least favorite role.

My approach to the game is to be straight forward and honest. I challenge you to find any game I have played in where I have told a lie. People will not believe you in this game anyway so I just am honest no matter what. That doesn't mean I won't hide anything but I will not lie to you.

Otherwise, I am a technology junkie and run my own Web/Social Media business. I enjoy PS4 games and also am an avid golfer and fan of WWE.

9) Lads

REPRESENTING: The Comment Section

NATIONALITY: Indian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2015

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: thecommentsection.org

BIO:
    In all honesty, I am no tough veteran of mafia. I have played exactly one mafia game and helped host exactly one another. The second time was a more enjoyable experience, mostly because I actually understood what the hell was going on! I got bullied into the first game by friends, haha. I was assigned a non-consequential role as a Townie and spent most of the game floundering cause no one would talk to me or trust me, voting for anyone because I was more interested in roleplaying and/or get the ball rolling rather than worrying about tactics or what others would think of me. I am told that is not the wisest move but to heck with it, I play to have fun and make a few friends along the way :P The second game, as I said, I gave a helping hand to the host and so got to see it from the other side. My friend, the host (who is such a good mafia player I swear, darn her for not playing instead of me shakes fist :P) said the hardest part was coming up with creative deaths for each conviction but I found the hardest part was keeping my mouth shut! :P But I did so anyway, laughing in sympathy as other first-timers misunderstood stuff too. I mostly signed up to have some RP/scheming fun and because no one else signed up to represent my forum, and heck if I don't love my forum enough to let an opportunity to bring some recognition/reputation to it pass by. I look forward to playing, even if it's only for one phase haha!

10) Master54

REPRESENTING: GreyWolf WolfLand

NATIONALITY: Iran

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2 years ago

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: WereWolf telegram

BIO:
    Im 20 years old and go to colloge in civil engineering major,i love dota2 and play a lot of that :smile:

11) minie

REPRESENTING: SecretHitler.io

NATIONALITY: srilankan

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2014 or 2015

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: epic mafia

BIO:
    Well not to brag but I was 3 time back to back winner on rounds before I took a break from epic mafia. got 7 trophies including 3 golds at my short competitive run. I love setups that includes a bit of mechanism and I used to be good at scumhunting . I also used to get mad and toxic a lot which I carried out to in Secret Hitler where I got 2nd place loser in the last two seasons back to back. Im dull and arrogant and toxic until you get to know me and I hardly want to get to know anyone. :/

12) Misanthrope

REPRESENTING: Firkinmafia

NATIONALITY: Australian

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2010

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Extreme Warfare Battleground, League Unlimited, and Firkin Mafia

BIO:
    Misanthrope aka Chris is an Vietnam-based Australian travel-writer who usually runs themed, overpowered games of mafia rather than actually playing in them. With his former communities at League Unlimited and Firkin Mafia having become a tad burned out after several years of mafia play, he has become a Mafia Universe refugee in hopes of rekindling his love for the game.

13) RedDevil19

REPRESENTING: Football Forums

NATIONALITY: English

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2017

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Football Forums

BIO:
    Apparently hosting a few decent games is enough to get nominated for this so here I am. First time ever playing Mafia on a site other than the one listed above so will be a completely new experience for me and I imagine almost like playing Mafia again for the first time. If you like a bet you would probably get odds of around 10000 - 1 for me to win this thing. I've got a fiver on it.

14) Schmiznurf

REPRESENTING: RedCafe

NATIONALITY: Welsh

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2016

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Redcafe only

BIO:
    Hey, how you doing? Welcome to my bio.

As it says above I first started playing in 2016, although we play it as Werewolf, shortly after joining Redcafe. I was a total newb for my first game and did research into the game and read loads on how to play, I promptly ignored everything I read and got slaughtered on the first turn after amassing over 80 posts in 12 hours, leading the wolves to believing I had a role, which was true but I posted a lot because I was excited. From then on I decided to play more reserved and quiet, yet every game someone mentions how active I am in the beginning when i’m really not.

I have even been the host for two games, one of my own design, which only lasted 3 or 4 turns due to a HUGE oversight in the mechanics that enabled the villagers to pinpoint wolves with ease, and one a friend designed. My one was based on the Battle Royale movie and had movement and weapons, one guy died because he didn’t move and he ended up dying while sucking himself off.

If you’re not aware of Redcafe it’s a Manchester United forum and is the number one forum for the club in the world, probably. We accept other fans too although if they come just to wind us up they get banned, somehow some of them have lasted a while even though they’re complete bellends and tools.

I asked for quotes about me to include in my bio so here they are:

“Schmiz invented Edslaw, FFAs, COE and the infamous SIHH. A true Pioneer. ”
    “I thought you were Norwegian.”
    “What werewolf achievements?”

Also I thought you were Indian.
    “Yeah but you $#@!”
    “Just noticed@Schmiznurf's new tagline. No doubt, soon to be changed to "Caf Failure in Mafia Championship". Don't let us down mate.”
    “Good luck. You'll smash it. ”

As you can tell they hold me in very high regard over there and at least 5 of the above want me to enter them in a way only a man can enter a man.

I asked for quotes from other people too, so you can see the kind of person I am:
    “God, you’re such a disappointment, can you just grow up” - My Mother
    “WHAT THE $#@! ARE YOU DOING HERE CRAIG? GET OUT OF MY BATHROOM OR I’M CALLING THE COPS YOU FREAK” - My super hot next-door neighbour.
    “Why didn’t you hoover or tidy up while I was gone, you know i’m in work all day” - My Wife
    “Yeah, Craig is the best, I don’t know anybody as awesome as he is, he’s the smartest guy alive too” - Me

So there’s my bio, hopefully it lets you know who I am, and it’s probably too long but it is what it is.

15) Spiny Creature

REPRESENTING: The Avocado

NATIONALITY: U.S.

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2011

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: The Avocado (the—avocado.org)

BIO:
    Relentlessly chatty. Rarely lynched, constantly nightkilled. Strength: seeing every side of an argument or possible explanation. Weakness: indecisiveness due to above.

16) V For Vendetta

REPRESENTING: TalkCeltic

NATIONALITY: Wakandan

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2016

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Talk Celtic

BIO:
    I detest town forza scum. I like to abuse people.

17) Xaver

REPRESENTING: Werwolf Online

NATIONALITY: Luxembourgish

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2013

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: Werwolf Online

BIO:
    I don't know how to describe myself, so here is a text written by @Alohomora (she represented our community in Season 4) a while ago:

"A lot of players here say Xaver is one thing above all: a troll. I think he's not uninvolved in building and maintaining that image. Whether he quotes and comments on all the posts in the game, uses Roman numerals to portray himself as Villager or optionally as Wolf, asks questions with a doubtful meaning, distributes hand grenades, is both player and game host in chat games etc., there are hardly any limits to his creativity with regard to making the game more fun for himself and his fellow players.

I've noticed in the course of the games I've played together that I can't judge Xaver at all. An anecdotal excursion into my memories shows that I "recognized" him as Villager, ignored him as Villager, had a fellow wolf in the village, defended him as Villager on a knife and he was Wolf - this is not a complete list, I think. I have since moved on to leave this to others and take it over. And it's worth it, because this approach gave me one of my favorite games when I fell in love with Xaver myself (Game 219). But being a wolf with him and einhornlasagne, to eat Torge again in night 3, is always a pleasure.

When I look at the statistics of his 103 games, I notice that he is eaten slightly above average (in 43% of his village games). I think that indicates that Xaver - Troll or not - is a player to be taken seriously, at least from the wolves' point of view. To be honest, how he makes his assessments is a mystery to me in most cases. On day 1, I don't think you can take him seriously in this respect anyway, among other things because you can't be sure if he knows his role at all. But I am convinced that there is not as much randomness as he likes to claim.

And if you can't get enough of him, sign up for a special game of Jopnu, because then you can play with or against 4 copies of Xaver." - translated from German by a computer because I was to lazy to do that myself (yes, I'm pretty lazy)

3. Bookmark ISO #3
    Mafia Backup Amrock sheepsaysmeep's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    aops
    AKA
    sheep
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Season 6, Game 3: The Good Place [The Mafia Championship]: Game Information!

This is an automated game of Mafia.

Setup - 17 Players

CLOSED
    • Majority will be in effect starting Day 2. Day 2 onward will end the instant a majority is reached.
    • Town wins when all threats to Town have been eliminated.
    • Mafia factions win when they achieve Parity and all other evil factions have been eliminated at any time.
    • Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    • No Lynching is enabled. Vote for No Lynch to forgo a lynch that Day.
    • Mafia factional kills are optional. Mafia may submit a factional kill each night, but are not required to.
    • Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    • Mafia may communicate at any time.
    • Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.

Phase Lengths

Days are 36 hours in length. Nights are 12 hours in length.

Players

@Baloth
    @BleedingRayne
    @critic
    @DarkRula
    @divinity666
    @jeekaka
    @JJosh_h
    @jseadog1
    @Lads
    @Master54
    @minie
    @Misanthrope
    @RedDevil19
    @Schmiznurf
    @Spiny Creature
    @V For Vendetta
    @Xaver

FAQ

Are you unsure about how actions are processed or how roles interact with each other? Then read more here:

ORDER OF OPERATIONS

Night actions are processed in this order:

Strongman kills
    Roleblocks
    Jails
    Doctors
    Bodyguards
    Kills
    Investigations
    Backups

When an action was submitted during the night will never matter when the actions are processed.

ACTION FEEDBACK

These are the results you will get when you submit certain actions.

Non-investigative roles when they submit an action (they also receive this if they are roleblocked):

Your action on Player A was received.
    Investigative actions return results even if the target dies on the same night.

Actions that count as visits are counted as visits even if the actor dies on the same night.

Investigative roles (Tracker, Cop, etc.) when roleblocked:

Your action on Player B did not return any results.
    Trackers when tracking a person that didn't visit anyone (or if they targeted a Ninja):

Player C did not visit anyone.
    Watchers when watching a person that wasn't visited by anyone (or only visited by a Ninja):

Player D was not visited by anyone.
    Alignment Cop when investigating a town-aligned player (or a Godfather):

Player E is Town
    Watcher when watching a person that was visited by multiple people:

Player F was visited by Player G, Player H, Player I
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I submit my action?
    Use the form below the game thread. If your role has a night action, the form will only be visible during night phases. It's not possible to submit actions in advance of the night phase.

What does it mean if the Mafia Host says that night kills are assigned?
    In games with this setting turned on, the member of the mafia team that made the most recent night kill submission will be the one assigned to the kill, which means that the kill can be blocked if a Town Roleblocker or Town Jailkeeper target the mafia player in question. Similarly, the kill can be tracked and watched by Town Trackers and Town Watchers. If this setting isn't turned on, then it doesn't matter who the last person to submit the mafia kill is, as the kill is unblockable and untrackable in this case.

Where do I find example role PM's?
    This thread contains example role PM's for all roles currently supported by the Modbot as well as information on the various modifiers. Here you will find the answers to a lot of questions not covered in this FAQ section.

Which roles can self-target?
    Only Watchers are able to use their ability on themselves at night. This means that Doctors or Jailkeepers aren't able to protect themselves, for example.

Which roles are not able to target the same players on consecutive nights?
    Doctors, Jailkeepers, and Roleblockers are not allowed to target the same player twice in a row. Everyone else is, including Bodyguards. Note that this non-consecutive restriction still holds true even if one of these three roles were blocked the night before when targeting the person that they're attempting to target again.

What happens if Jailkeeper A and Jailkeeper B or Roleblocker A and Roleblocker B target each other (and are not targetted by other blockers)?
    In the case of Jailkeepers, they will block and protect each other. In the case of Roleblockers, they also block each other. This means that the two players are trackable to each other that night by Trackers and Watchers. It also means that if one of them is mafia and happens to simultaneously be the one submitting the factional kill that night in a game with assigned kills, then this kill is blocked. This same principle applies to longer loops. I.e. in a A > B > C > D > A loop, everyone is blocked.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Jailkeeper A?
    Jailkeeper A will be blocked in this scenario. Refer to the order of operations: Roleblocks process before jails.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Roleblocker B who targets Player C?
    As stated above, roleblocks process before jails, so Roleblocker B will successfully block Player C. I.e. Jailkeeper A will fail to block Roleblocker B, but will still protect Roleblocker B.

What happens if Jailkeeper A targets Jailkeeper B and Jailkeeper B targets Jailkeeper C (who isn't targeting any of the former two)?
    In this case, Jailkeeper A would prevent Jailkeeper B's block from occuring, meaning that Jailkeeper C's action is not blocked.

If an X-Shot role is blocked while using a shot, do they lose that shot forever?
    Yes. A 1-shot Vigilante being blocked while attempting to kill someone will not have their shot refunded.

If someone with a Strongman modifier kills Player A who is protected by Bodyguard B, who dies?
    Player A will die, and Bodyguard B will survive.

Can a mafia team choose not to kill anyone during a night?
    The host can determine this using the Mafia Factional Kill setting. Kills can be mandatory, optional, or disabled altogether.

The default is No. The mafia factional kill is compulsory. This is done in order to avoid deadlocked games where the town keeps no lynching and the mafia refuses to submit a kill. If the game has assigned kills, it will be randomized which member of the team is carrying out the kill.

If there is only one mafia member left in a game without assigned kills, can the mafia factional kill then be blocked and/or tracked?
    No.

Can the mafia submit a kill for one of their own members?
    No.

If I kill someone, does their night action, if they have one, still succeed?
    Yes, killing someone doesn't prevent them from performing their night action (unless they investigated someone, in which case they will not receive a report). Refer to the order of operations: All kills happen at the end of the night, and everyone pulls the trigger simultaneously.

Can individual night actions be proxied on mafia teams?
    No. If the mafia team has a Mafia Roleblocker, for example, and they want to use this role's action, then the player occupying that slot must submit the action themselves.

If a Lover is shot during the night, while the other Lover is protected that night, does the other Lover still die?
    Yes. It's not possible to prevent a Lover from dying of love sickness.

If a Bodyguard protects Lover A, while Lover B is shot during that same night, what happens?
    A dies of love sickness and Bodyguard lives.

If there are any Innocent Childs in the game, are these confirmed in the thread right when the game begins?
    No. Innocent Childs are able to decide themselves when or if they wish to have the Modbot confirm their role and alignment in the thread. Note that this is exclusively a day action and that it can take up to one minute for the Modbot to process the action.

What results are Alignment Cops, Full Cops and Role Cops given if they investigate a Godfather or a Miller?
    Alignment Cops are told "Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia" for Millers. Full Cops are told "Vanilla Town" for Godfathers and "Mafia Goon" for Millers. Role Cops are told "Godfather" for Godfathers and "Miller" for Millers.

Can Role Cops tell the difference between a Vanilla Town and Mafia Goon?
    No. They are told "Vanilla" when investigating either of these two roles.

If I roleblock someone with a Bulletproof Vest, will that nullify the effect of the vest?
    No. Bulletproof Vests are passive modifiers that cannot be blocked from working.

If I roleblock Masons, Neighbors or Lovers with out of thread communication privileges, can I prevent them from talking at night?
    No.

If I roleblock a Godfather, will they still be revealed as being town-aligned to Alignment Cops and Full Cops that night?
    Yes.

USING THE SOFTWARE

Are you wondering about how to vote, submit night actions or multi-isolate players? Read about this and more here:

VOTING BBCODES

Our forum votes for someone by using the vote tags: [V]Thingyman[/V]. Preview:

##Vote Thingyman

Make sure that you spell out the full, correct name. Abbreviations or misspelled names will not be registered by the Modbot.

To unvote, use the tags: [UNV][/UNV] . When unvoting you do not need to enter the name of the person that you are unvoting. Preview:

##Unvote

VOTING BUTTONS

You can also quickly vote for someone by clicking on the box with a checkmark icon, which will bring up an alphabetized dropdown containing the names of living players:

This will insert [V][/V] tags with the name of the player you selected in the dropdown, perfect every time.

Click the empty checkbox button to insert [UNV][/UNV].

SUBMITTING NIGHT ACTIONS

If you have a night action, simply submit this at night by scrolling to the bottom of the game thread. Here you will find a night action form like this:

Click the dropdown and select the player whom you wish to use your night action on. You can change it as many times as you wish before the deadline expires.

CALLING UP A VOTECOUNT

Votecounts will appear automatically at various intervals, but you can also call up votecounts yourself by following these steps:

First, you need to apply to join "Mafia Game Hosts" under Permission Groups.

Second, once your request has been approved, you will be able to call up votecounts by simply pushing the "Post Votecount" button in the top right corner of any game thread that you'd like an updated votecount for.

VIEWING VOTE HISTORY

There are three ways to access the vote history for any game.

1. Click on the "Vote History" button in the top right corner of the game thread:

2. Click on the "View Vote History" link, which accompanies all votecounts:

3. Click on Modbot in the top forum menu. This will give you a list of ongoing and completed games:

Next, simply click on "Vote History" to view all votes for that game.

Following any of the above three steps will bring you to an overview like this one:

Click on a Voter's username to view all of the votes by their slot.

Click on a Target's username to view all of the votes for their slot.

ISOLATING A PLAYER'S POSTS

If you wish to read a player's posts in isolation, simply click on "ISO" in the top right corner of one of that player's posts in the relevant thread as illustrated here:

Alternatively, you can access a player's posts in isolation by clicking on the number next to "Replies:" in the forum lobby.

Doing so will pull up a window listing the post counts for everyone who has posted in that thread. You access someone's posts in isolation by simply clicking on the number next to "Posts:" for that person.

The ISO view itself has Quote and Multi-Quote buttons inside it, which will make it very easy to quickly quote a lot of a player's posts for analysis or commentary:

MULTI-ISOLATING

If you wish to read not just one player's posts, but you want to ISO multiple players, then click the "Multi ISO" button to the left of "Game Tools" and select the players in question as shown here:

MULTI-QUOTING WHILE THREAD IS LOCKED

Note that you can multi-quote posts from even locked game threads. This is useful for when you wish to reread the game and do work during night phases.

After quoting the relevant posts, you simply open a different, opened thread and press "Go Advanced". Then add the quotes to your post by clicking the prompt below the post area as shown here:

Now, of course you can't post your work in the game thread while the thread is locked, but you can copy paste and save your work to a local file or the cloud and have it ready to post the very next day phase (if you're still alive, that is).