Thread: Season 6, Game 10: The Mafia Convention [The Mafia Championship]

1. Bookmark ISO #101
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsloth (#96)
    lol I killed RE for the win in Zombie Uprising and lynched her for the loss in the Marvel Heroes game

solid
    Well, my lynch in Zombie Uprising was a lol one. Scum already outnumbered town, but Spartior (the host?) let them at me anyway.

I was nightkilled in the Marvel Heroes game? You were snapvoted in LyLo though, and that's how town lost.

2. Bookmark ISO #102
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsloth (#75)
    so it turns out this is the game thread
    I have several levels of confusion. In that:
    1) I'd ask how someone could make that mistake, but it's already happened in one of the earlier completed championship games, I think. (But you're not new to MU..?)
    2)I'd ask why town would do this, and I guess there's reaction testing, but like, this method doesn't work too often?
    3)I'd consider the possibility of scum making this post intentionally and going for the "scum would NEVER do this" route, but that's too much for me.

So you gonna just pass it off like you said nothing or...
    Did you uh

Ever consider the possibility that it was a joke?

3. Bookmark ISO #103
    Community
    Maffia Sverige/MU
    Do you have any comments on the other reactions to yog's post?
    Orange's is maaaybe slightly towny, but i'm reaching at that point. Other 2 null depending on followup (and i can't tell if Santy realized it's a joke or not)

4. Bookmark ISO #104
    Community
    GOG.com
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsloth (#96)
    lol I killed RE for the win in Zombie Uprising and lynched her for the loss in the Marvel Heroes game

solid
    Well, my lynch in Zombie Uprising was a lol one. Scum already outnumbered town, but Spartior (the host?) let them at me anyway.

I was nightkilled in the Marvel Heroes game? You were snapvoted in LyLo though, and that's how town lost.
    oh my bad you're right, you were the last NK not the last lynch before I got snapped off before even logging in

quite the bruising

on a side note

I'm really looking forward to faking a red check on BATMAN and then vigging him in the face

Aren't you?

5. Bookmark ISO #105
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishSkumbag (#48)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#43)
    First take: Disappointed in some of the bios. I like to get to know the fellow players.

(I won't go as far as saying bio reads are a thing, but it does help with meta)
    TLDR: I make villa-circles and PoE. If I say i'm feeling really confident about a villaread, I can likely be trusted if i'm V, but I can't say the same for my wolfreads. I usually post quite a lot early phases trying to get productive read-based conversation going, and then later on i'm pretty confident in my spewreading once we got a flipped wolf or 2 (to find more villas normally). Some people say i got good tone as both alignments, but i disagree as i often feel awkward when posting as a wolf

Quote Originally Posted by RE1031 (#44)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#39)
    Lettuce go with not terribly serious but a good look for page one. I guarantee you he would have preferred a scum rand here.
    Okay, doesn't quite answer my question, but I think you're saying that it feels genuine?

~~

Just to get this out of the way, since mechanical talk can clog up discussion, think we should agree upon a strategy when it comes to leading trains claiming near EoD? Would potentially prevent scum from capitalizing on town indecision.
    I haven't played this set up in a long while, but I'm of the mind they always claim if they're getting lynched, and then if certain roles (vigs and cops) claim, we spare them at least until their cycle has passed. Yay or nay?
    Eh, I don't think that's a good idea. If an important role like cop/vig claims and there's a real one alive they should always counterclaim and we generally lynch the first claim right?
    Honestly i'm not the best when it comes to mechanics.
    Around EoD trains/CFD's it's not good to decide any "rules" we're gonna follow, because that helps wolves plan how they should act in different scenarios.
    I’m just going to leave this here. The best way to play this is the following way:
    Stop thinking your role is important. It is not! You are just another role. Everyone is a power role. I have seen cops live for days outed.
    It depends on the mafia skills and the roles they have.
    If you have a role, claim as soon as you have a result.
    Ex. You are rb1 and you RB Batman.
    The next day just say so. You have to say exactly what you did. No reason to lie .
    If you are a cop: same freaking thing! Claim your role and result ASAP. Once you have a result don’t leave “clues” openly claim. There’s like 3 cops, you are not more important.
    Claim your god damn roles ASAP. Not today of course but tomorrow or the day after you get a result or submit your action.

Anyone who doesn’t agree let me know so I change your mind. I own this setup and I know exactly how to destroy it.
    Someone tell me I’m wrong so I can prove them wrong. Try me
    I think I love this? I can get behind "stop thinking you are special and just $#@!ing claim". In some sets, I think there could be merit in not following this exact advice...basically if you think you can trap/trick scum somehow. But you gotta weigh the risk/benefits of that rationally. But again, I don't know this set to say if anything like that could be understandable here.

6. Bookmark ISO #106
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    Quote Originally Posted by RE1031 (#80)
    1) I'd ask how someone could make that mistake, but it's already happened in one of the earlier completed championship games, I think. (But you're not new to MU..?)
    2)I'd ask why town would do this, and I guess there's reaction testing, but like, this method doesn't work too often?
    3)I'd consider the possibility of scum making this post intentionally and going for the "scum would NEVER do this" route, but that's too much for me.

Did you uh

Ever consider the possibility that it was a joke?
    No, I did not. I said so as much. Not exactly my branch of humor, sorry. Maybe if I was in the spec chat, things would be different. Otherwise, anything in-game can be AI.

7. Bookmark ISO #107

8. Bookmark ISO #108
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Oh right. I forgot roles are not even tied to alignment (very unusual on my site.)
    So why do I really give a $#@! about someone's claim aside from "more talking and info helps me develop better read". But if someone says they are cop, they can still be scum. So why spare them if I still think they're evil as sin?

9. Bookmark ISO #109
    Community
    Mafialandia
    I realized Yong was joking/Not being serious , even tough it was a joke i think he also did it to generate movement/reactions etc etc . But that move also is to generate attention in himself so I wanted to see his reaction to the second vote as a method of pression? Idk. The Batman vote was gr8 so the second vote generates more pressure i guess.
    Even tough he reacted "nice" i dont feel like unvoting rn , ill see

10. Bookmark ISO #110
    Community
    GOG.com
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnad2006 (#108)
    Oh right. I forgot roles are not even tied to alignment (very unusual on my site.)
    So why do I really give a $#@! about someone's claim aside from "more talking and info helps me develop better read". But if someone says they are cop, they can still be scum. So why spare them if I still think they're evil as sin?
    I personally plan to just totally ignore roles for the most part and just lynch wolfy people

or as a fallback, just engage official Championship Level Mafia and lynch by reverse postcount

11. Bookmark ISO #111
    Community
    Maffia Sverige/MU
    RE is fine tbh
    fine as in not actively wolfy, or fine as in villagery?

12. Bookmark ISO #112
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    W3D Hub
    We want people to claim before they die because it can avoid scum fake claiming later when we have more mechanics to go on.

Sorry for being away here, was making lunch and exercising. I just want to say I don't find RE suspicious for her reaction to yog's "joke" either as it took me some time to come to terms with it myself. I also get wanting to fully explain yourself. I'm one who's often accused of being longwinded too, so maybe I just feel like I've found a kindred spirit.

13. Bookmark ISO #113
    Community
    GOG.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishSkumbag (#111)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#107)
    RE is fine tbh
    I assume he meant "fine" as in "Cindy Crawford circa '86"

14. Bookmark ISO #114
    Community
    Mafialandia
    With the batman vote being great i refer it was good to me to vote with the momentum and generate pressure.

Saying a Joke is forced is not great by itself but isnt bad either

15. Bookmark ISO #115
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#81)
    I mean some people make jokes. Is Yog known to make such jokes? I don't know him.
    This was the more awkward reaction.

I have seen plenty enough incomprehensible perspectives flip town to humor that someone might sincerely take that post dead seriously, but what was running through your head when you asked this? Like, presumably you did read it as a joke, so what was the need to ask?

16. Bookmark ISO #116
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    I mean some people make jokes. Is Yog known to make such jokes? I don't know him.

I have seen plenty enough incomprehensible perspectives flip town to humor that someone might sincerely take that post dead seriously, but what was running through your head when you asked this? Like, presumably you did read it as a joke, so what was the need to ask?
    You were in last game when I read something as a joke and it wasn't a joke. Or was that before you subbed in?

17. Bookmark ISO #117
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Santygrass (#59)
    The Pelotudo thing is a sensation in MFL * Kinda influenced by me but shhh * . Pelotudo in MFL is not an insult anymore, is a way of living. Btw in MFL theres also a Batman fan who is very Pelotudo and we lynch him on D1. More reasons to vote for you
    I never get lynch day 1. It won’t be in a Champs game either.
    I do die n1 a whole lot because I’m one of the best players and a real threat to the wolves.
    Stop being pelotudo and follow me to a victory. Stay out of my way and follow my lead gracias
    Dude. My eyes are really starting to hurt from rolling this much.

18. Bookmark ISO #118
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    It comes down to how confident you are in the soon-to-be-lynched player flipping scum. Think you should also factor in that you might prefer a different candidate to the one who's to be lynched.

Maybe if I link this game and y'all take a quick peek, you'll see where I'm coming from - https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...he-White-House

That was a similar set up to the one in this game currently. Town cop cycle 2 was nearly lynched day 2, only to be vigged by the town cycle 2 vigilante because that player was just that scummy. The cop was also roleblocked by the scum roleblocker - but due to the town voyeur using their ability on the cop - town was at least able to lynch the scum roleblocker.

If the majority would prefer to solve behaviorally and let mechanics aid town when they can, that's cool, I won't fight it. Multiple ways of winning a game. But as long as a player has a chance of being town, if their role can catch scum (or clear town) with the flick of switch (metaphorically), then I would argue there is a benefit to leaving them alive.

But yeah. This might be enough mechanics talk from me. Personally, I feel that clearing the air regarding roles can eliminate mistakes made in the moment, which may either lead to dead town or scum getting away with things, but if people don't like blanket strategies, then it'd be counterproductive for me to discuss it any longer.

19. Bookmark ISO #119
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishSkumbag (#82)

consider this post as me swapping from my RVS Re1031 vote to a real one
    RE is my first ping too. Feels methodical.

##Vote RE1031

20. Bookmark ISO #120
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishSkumbag (#111)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#107)
    RE is fine tbh
    Reading yog's post, thinking "lol what a clown", and then proceeding to write multiple walls asserting that you didn't get it was a joke is... a weird thing for a wolf to fake.

Wolf taking it seriously knows it's an fps play and would maybe bumble around it eh

Just something in how she insisted she didn't take it as a joke felt sincere to me. I guess it would be honest regardless of her alignment so I really shouldn't read into it but lolshad

21. Bookmark ISO #121
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Overall, I am drooling over how much better the interface is here than my homesite.
    But I'm missing our ability to thumb up posts. Now I don't have a lazy way to indicate I like something.

22. Bookmark ISO #122
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnad2006 (#119)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishSkumbag (#82)

consider this post as me swapping from my RVS Re1031 vote to a real one
    RE is my first ping too. Feels methodical.

##Vote RE1031
    Could you elaborate on methodical? Not entirely sure what you mean by it. And, is it something you've seen strictly from scum?

23. Bookmark ISO #123
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#116)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#115)

You were in last game when I read something as a joke and it wasn't a joke. Or was that before you subbed in?
    I read almost nothing in that game and just shouted at villagers to claim and die

But no I have no recollection of that.

What was it

24. Bookmark ISO #124
    Community
    GOG.com

also mild Town read on the Batman, believe it or not

I'll investigate him tonight

all the peeps I know are the only ones playing, I feel a little guilty only interacting with them, but c'mon people

25. Bookmark ISO #125
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#116)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#115)

I read almost nothing in that game and just shouted at villagers to claim and die

But no I have no recollection of that.

What was it
    I don't remember 100% of the specifics either, but I think it was Marl (or at least Marl was involved) who said something I thought was a joke but it was actually a misunderstanding on my part, so basically I'm hesitant to actually call things jokes now, because I was wrong last time.

26. Bookmark ISO #126
    Community
    GOG.com

Hotel reminds me of the place I stayed on business once where they decided to lay new concrete in the hallway immediately outside the elevator on my floor without telling anybody or posting any signs

27. Bookmark ISO #127
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsloth (#126)
    btw @ GH enjoyed the flavor thus far

Hotel reminds me of the place I stayed on business once where they decided to lay new concrete in the hallway immediately outside the elevator on my floor without telling anybody or posting any signs
    One time when I was 8 lightning struck a hotel my family was staying at and it scared me so I ran down the hallway shouting "we're all going to die!" and management tried to kick us out for causing a scene.

28. Bookmark ISO #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Santygrass (#109)
    I realized Yong was joking/Not being serious , even tough it was a joke i think he also did it to generate movement/reactions etc etc . But that move also is to generate attention in himself so I wanted to see his reaction to the second vote as a method of pression? Idk. The Batman vote was gr8 so the second vote generates more pressure i guess.
    Even tough he reacted "nice" i dont feel like unvoting rn , ill see
    I literally faked a scum chat slip as a villager in my last game.

I had zero intention of gleaning jack from it.

This is 2019 boi only pussy wolves conduct scum chat in private.

29. Bookmark ISO #129
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    Wolf taking it seriously knows it's an fps play and would maybe bumble around it eh
    If it's an FPS play, then it's not only a joke, is it?

FPS play is indicative of something alright.

30. Bookmark ISO #130
    Community
    GOG.com
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#127)
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsloth (#126)
    btw @ GH enjoyed the flavor thus far

One time when I was 8 lightning struck a hotel my family was staying at and it scared me so I ran down the hallway shouting "we're all going to die!" and management tried to kick us out for causing a scene.
    Yeah I used their f'n towels to clean the setting concrete off my shoes, then took 'em downstairs and dumped 'em in a corner in a hardened ball and swiped some new towels off a maid's cart

31. Bookmark ISO #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#120)

I mean

In the world where you take it seriously in the first place

I do think it's pretty lolololol that you responded to the "if RE is a wolf" part here XD

32. Bookmark ISO #132
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Colosseum
    AKA
    SleepingTerror
    Quote Originally Posted by RE1031 (#129)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#120)

I mean

In the world where you take it seriously in the first place

I do think it's pretty lolololol that you responded to the "if RE is a wolf" part here XD
    I'm responding to the part where you call it "FPS," but I guess I misunderstood.

33. Bookmark ISO #133
    Timezone
    Community
    Pro Mafia/Town of Salem
    Can someone tell me what a red check is (not on the terminology page)
    Batman calls himself "the king" of this setup, which I'm not too sure about. Yes OFC there is merit to it, but on the other hand, it feels like he's just trying to set himself up to advance.

I'd like to preview a couple older games to see what your personalities were when you flipped... where are they located?

Yogsloth felt like it was just a joke based off some past real experience, Ima reread the "joke" but it didn't feel scum-oriented the first time.

34. Bookmark ISO #134
    Community
    GOG.com
    Investigating as a cop and reporting a "red" result, i.e., that the player you investigated is mafia.

35. Bookmark ISO #135
    Community
    GOG.com

boy

36. Bookmark ISO #136
    I can link recent games for you when I get to my desktop if you really want, but I don't think they provide a great baseline. Pokemon Yellow in Automated as a wolf. Villager uh, aside from Jaleb's game where I died in 20 posts, you'd probably have to go back a year for a non-mash example.

37. Bookmark ISO #137
    Community
    GOG.com
    Finally caught up lol
    Batman calls himself "the king" of this setup, which I'm not too sure about. Yes OFC there is merit to it, but on the other hand, it feels like he's just trying to set himself up to advance.

I'd like to preview a couple older games to see what your personalities were when you flipped... where are they located?

Yogsloth felt like it was just a joke based off some past real experience, Ima reread the "joke" but it didn't feel scum-oriented the first time.
    ok so you're caught up

gimmie a hot take, anybody, anything

Who's your favorite New Kid

38. Bookmark ISO #138
    Timezone
    Community
    Pro Mafia/Town of Salem

So this "joke" is that
    Yogsloth, Shad, Skumbag, Batman
    are all mafs.
    Geez I hope not, I want to do well in this game not get carried xD.

So there's really 3 options:
    1) He meant to do it as a joke (but really why)
    2) He meant to do it on purpose (in which case he is scum but at least two of above are town)
    3) He did it accidentally (and game is all but over)

39. Bookmark ISO #139
    Timezone
    Community
    Pro Mafia/Town of Salem

40. Bookmark ISO #140
    Community
    GOG.com
    @yogsloth which is it?
    You don't gotta ping me, I'm right here, staring at you creepily

I guess you're going to have to figure it out

41. Bookmark ISO #141

42. Bookmark ISO #142
    Community
    PTP(RIP), 2+2
    AKA
    BATM!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnad2006 (#117)
    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN (#62)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santygrass (#59)
    The Pelotudo thing is a sensation in MFL * Kinda influenced by me but shhh * . Pelotudo in MFL is not an insult anymore, is a way of living. Btw in MFL theres also a Batman fan who is very Pelotudo and we lynch him on D1. More reasons to vote for you
    I never get lynch day 1. It won’t be in a Champs game either.
    I do die n1 a whole lot because I’m one of the best players and a real threat to the wolves.
    Stop being pelotudo and follow me to a victory. Stay out of my way and follow my lead gracias
    Dude. My eyes are really starting to hurt from rolling this much.
    I have that effect on players. In real life too but I am that amazing so people just hate it and deal with it.
    I like you. Prob no need to peek you tonight

43. Bookmark ISO #143
    Yog are you a wolf or a wolf or wolfy? Asking for a scummate.

44. Bookmark ISO #144
    Community
    PTP(RIP), 2+2
    AKA
    BATM!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnad2006 (#121)
    Overall, I am drooling over how much better the interface is here than my homesite.
    But I'm missing our ability to thumb up posts. Now I don't have a lazy way to indicate I like something.

You can. Look

45. Bookmark ISO #145
    Community
    GOG.com
    Yog are you a wolf or a wolf or wolfy? Asking for a scummate.
    Must these be mutually exclusive?

46. Bookmark ISO #146
    Community
    GOG.com
    Well on my way to $#@!posting my way to lock clear status

47. Bookmark ISO #147
    Community
    PTP(RIP), 2+2
    AKA
    BATM!
    Finally caught up lol

I don’t think I have to prove myself but your skepticism is welcomed.
    I have played this setup a few times and each time owned it.
    Wolves have a clear advantage in this setup and I was able to fully exploit it.
    We swept the game and it wasn’t even close.
    The mistake was that town didn’t claim. So we fake claimed and just rekt.
    Then I played as town and we rekt the wolves even though only a few of us actually listened to me and claimed.
    Wolves were busy deciding who to kill since like 5-6 of us had claimed.
    With one Kp meant they had tough decision to make.

48. Bookmark ISO #148
    Community
    PTP(RIP), 2+2
    AKA
    BATM!

49. Bookmark ISO #149
    Community
    GOG.com
    Yog tal to me. You ready to play soon?
    I'm getting there

50. Bookmark ISO #150
    Community