Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #20: How To Put Wolves In A Box (by Newcomb)

1. ISO #51
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    white flag is a varied, fun, and interesting setup (that can usually balanced)

but probably a TERRIBLE idea for a champs setup considering the uh, varied skill levels of players sometimes. We also wouldn't get great moments like g4 or BATMAN's solo win

Lastly it's pretty unconventional. Simply put, a lot people aren't going to be used to powerwolfing in this kind of setup and it just won't be familiar territory to them. Forcing a certain playstyle (especially a nonstandard one) is prolly just a bad idea when concept of champs is to take people from across a wide variety of forums/discords/live communities etc
    :wiwe

2. ISO #52
    Most Likely Asleep Secondhand Revenant's Avatar
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas (#51)

but probably a TERRIBLE idea for a champs setup considering the uh, varied skill levels of players sometimes. We also wouldn't get great moments like g4 or BATMAN's solo win

Lastly it's pretty unconventional. Simply put, a lot people aren't going to be used to powerwolfing in this kind of setup and it just won't be familiar territory to them. Forcing a certain playstyle (especially a nonstandard one) is prolly just a bad idea when concept of champs is to take people from across a wide variety of forums/discords/live communities etc
    Yeah I agree

And also just the concept of having to be reliant on your teammates to that degree is rough. I think it's an unfortunate aspect for villagers that their worst teammates can drag them down, dunno that I wanna do that to the wolves too
    Come wayward souls,
    Who wander through the darkness,
    There is a light for the lost and the meek.

Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas
    You don't have to do anything except die
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash
    Look upon my works ye low hanging fruit and despair!
    I'm not accusing you of meta

I'm accusing you of a wolfiest

The most heinous of crimes

3. ISO #53
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe

part of me enjoys the idea of like, what sr said, increasing the teammate reliance to have them limited a bit more in the way the village is

but it's an extremely unconventional dynamic which i'm not a fan of for champs, and it's stylistically limiting in a fundamental way which same issue
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#28799)
    she's hard defended 90% of the dead wolves and the whole thread still wants to wish her happy birthday

4. ISO #54
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    2+2
    AKA
    AG
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#47)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#46)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggles1993 (#45)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#38)
    “The most interesting rule we have right now is that scum lose when there's one scum left alive and it's really changed how I and others play the game in the best way possible (thanks to @SwedishSkumbag amongst others for making this happen).”

This is super duper interesting and I like the dynamics it introduces for several reasons. We should test this on MU! Which setups do you run exactly, @Wisdom?
    @Empoof has already run a few setups of these. It's called white-flag mafia.
    Very interesting. Might be interesting to consider this for next year's Championship setup.
    I hate this idea on like every front.

If you can't find the last mafia, that's your fault. My favorite thing about wolfing is when it gets down to the nitty gritty in the bunkers and there's one last wolf standing up against an army of town and actually making progress and work and coming back.

Wolves always have the option to surrender if they really want to, but we should not force those who want that option to fight to have to give in just because this year's champs was so incredibly wolfsided.
    Pretty obvious Thingy is just trying to keep his record of 1vX as wolf unbeatable by changing the rules.

5. ISO #55
    Most Likely Asleep Secondhand Revenant's Avatar
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

part of me enjoys the idea of like, what sr said, increasing the teammate reliance to have them limited a bit more in the way the village is

but it's an extremely unconventional dynamic which i'm not a fan of for champs, and it's stylistically limiting in a fundamental way which same issue
    Heh, I did consider that in a way that might sort of balance things but then I was like... well... I hate that village has to deal with it, I don't know that I would really be any happier if it happened to wolves too even if it did have some sense of balance to it.
    Come wayward souls,
    Who wander through the darkness,
    There is a light for the lost and the meek.

Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas
    You don't have to do anything except die
    Look upon my works ye low hanging fruit and despair!
    I'm not accusing you of meta

I'm accusing you of a wolfiest

The most heinous of crimes

6. ISO #56
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    combine white flag mafia with a one-shot recruiter role?
    September Paint & Drabble -- reserve signups welcome!
    Makaze does not enjoy killing the women who date him.

7. ISO #57
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    If you're saying mafia recruiter, that would be considered bastard therefore a no with MU's community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empoof (#4961)
    it was jaleb

@Jaleb is a god
    ??Frog ??Last Thursday at 8:11 AM
    ok dudes
    you can discuss the event here if you want

Jaleb (RB/1% ITA)Last Thursday at 8:05 AM
    Done, will take my prize now
    I do have a 1900 rating in solving tactics :smiley:

AndrewGreve(night vig/39%ITA)Last Thursday at 8:10 AM
    hey
    i dont know chess tactics
    should I try?

Jaleb (RB/1% ITA)Last Thursday at 8:10 AM
    1. Bf6 2. Qh7 3. Rf7 4. Nh6 5. Re5 6. ... Qh3 7. Qd8 8. h7 9. ... Ne5+; fxe5 h5 10. ... Bg1; Kg3 Qf2; Kh3 Qh2 i you want the answer, not that it matters
    if*

??Frog ??Last Thursday at 8:11 AM
    Jaleb, you're lowkey Magnus

8. ISO #58
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#56)
    If you're saying mafia recruiter, that would be considered bastard therefore a no with MU's community.
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...role=Converter

But yeah, alignment-changing roles are always a bit bastard.
    I like the interplay here, because the converter can choose a player to be in the optimum position to deepwolf to the end, thus making the capability of the scum team to survive not depend so much on the outcome of the rand, but rather on a conscious decision on the part of the scum team. Which is as it should be.
    September Paint & Drabble -- reserve signups welcome!
    Makaze does not enjoy killing the women who date him.

9. ISO #59
    Timezone
    UTC+11:00
    Community
    Neoseeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcomb (#24)
    Put yourself in mafia!GH's shoes here: He knows DLE is telling the truth. (You have to discard the idea that they're w/w, but that would be one of the weirdest w/w interactions ever so yeah no). He knows DLE isn't mafia going for some kind of weird dumbtell or derpclear. He knows DLE is just exactly what he is - a dude with a broken keyboard.

The idea that it would even occur to mafia!GH there to do a Google Reverse Image lookup of that picture is laughable.

On the other hand, if GH is town, then it makes perfect, perfect sense. He's the very image of a paranoid villager getting into every nook and cranny. He doesn't know DLE. On the off-chance that he could catch DLE in a lazy wolf lie for some reason, he's going to see if that's an image DLE just ripped from Google or whatever. Might as well, right?

The idea that it would occur to GH to do that, to even go there in the first place, as town, is entirely, completely believable.

All of this is based on the lack of TMI that DLE is a villager.
    i agree with the concept overall here, but how is an h key being broken AI in the first place? why would suspecting it of being a mafia ploy even be a thing? i read that whole exchange as a joke by GH, the punchline being, he's treating it as something mafia would lie about when it's clearly not.

@GeneralHankerchief i need a verdict here. were you joking?
    Yeah I agree. With that one I never would have even reverse image searched it regardless of my own alignment. I might have asked what they meant just out of curiosity, but I wouldn't have tried to frame it as a mafia or town ploy
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 24
    3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
    4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
    5 He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.