Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ask Beck anything

1. ISO #51
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    NovoCiv
    I didn't forget about this @Charmander! Just needed to give it some proper thought and the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander (#9)
    Nice. Some of concepts I was aware of (like determining how long the game should last and adding KP accordingly), but things like ratios between town/mafia KP + estimating deaths, or percentages of the town as PRs are good to get your thoughts on.

Alright, since I have the chance to pick your brain on this I'll throw out some more questions, and you can pick and choose which ones to answer if you don't feel like answering them all.

Mashes tend to have 40+ players which means roles with no abilities other than their voice and vote have considerably less agency than they would in a normal sized game. Mashes also tend to be extremely high variance because of the number of power roles, and inherent difficulties distributing power without throwing other things out of balance (e.g. the N1 + N2 vigs example) in your answer). ITAs are a useful tool in that they both provide players with the perception of greater agency (even if they aren't all that likely to kill someone), and lower the overall variance of the game by making KP more predictable. What would you recommend to someone in general if they wanted to design a Mash without ITAs?
    My first question would be, why avoid using ITAs? ITAs, despite their inherent RNG, are bar none the best method to generate consistent, communal KP, and add agency and purpose for players without PRs. And I say that with mixed emotions, because I wish there was another popular, reliable, Modbot-supported mechanic we could use as large-game hosts to create the same effect. But there really isn't, unfortunately. ITAs monopolize day-time werewolf in this regard.

That being said, if you're looking to create agency and purpose for players without a PR, I'd recommend giving Vanillagers a shared power, specifically a shared Night Action. I've utilized this in my Nintendo Switch Mishmash and UD has utilized this concept countless times. In short, you allow Vanillagers to work with a village PR to Vigilante Kill, or Roleblock, or Angel, etc., a player of their collective choice. So long as the Vanillager PM is public knowledge for the wolves to be safely able to claim, it's a decent alternative. I've also as recent as the Mob Psycho 100 Mishmash utilized roles that create synergy, such as the Wolf Hunter, which gains action based upon the number of Vanillagers that die, or Mob's role, which gained a Day Vigilante Kill after a certain number of villagers died. These are more indirect methods of involvement but add purpose all the same.

The short of it, unfortunately, is that the best way to provide agency for Vanillagers without giving them actions... is ITAs. Or pseudo-Night Actions. This is definitely an area of game design that I believe needs more innovation. Because the contrary, Role Madness, where everyone and their dog has a role, is lazy design, in my opinion, and can create several game-breaking issues.

Another aspect of large games is that they tend to have more complex roles than usual. I want to distinguish these from Full+ roles in that they're not simply normal roles with extra stuff stapled on, but that the mechanics of the role require more thinking about the game state to use effectively. How do you approach designing a game with complex mechanics that doesn't increase the cognitive load required to play the game so much it diminishes the experience? Related question, would you agree that Town roles can be more individually complex as they only have their own role to worry about, whereas Mafia roles need to have less individually complex roles or rather less total role complexity for a faction because members of the Mafia need to think about everyone's role instead of just their own?
    This may be a cop-out answer, but I don't think it's possible. My first piece of advice would be to understand your audience. In my experience -- and I mean no offense to anyone, but -- I've found MU is generally heavy/complex mechanic-adverse. Most players (not all) would rather receive a simple role with simple expectations and shoot players then die and laugh about it in DVC. Which is totally fine. Compared to another forum, like POG in its day, where complex mechanics were mostly expected. It's cultural.

If complex is the way you'd like to go (and I highly encourage it: it's more fun and makes players think!), my next piece of advice would be to have several other experienced hosts take a look at what you've come up with, AND find a way to explain it in its simplest terms. The way a PM is written matters greatly to the success of and understanding of a new mechanic.

I think that's a fair assessment regarding AI role complexity. I design my wolves to have complex roles that work especially well with others, but are never useless on their own. Villagers' roles can be individually complex in ways the wolves cannot because the loss of a single villager is not nearly as detrimental to their wincon. I'd also add, that wolfing is difficult, so I try to make the collective complexity of my wolf roles lesser than that of my villager. Forcing the wolves to do a song and dance, then run a lap, just to use a simple mechanic adds to the stresses of having to lie for 12 hours a day.

What mechanisms do you think work best to reduce the variance in a large game? As you mentioned, there are issues that come with having distributed power for town such as the N1 + N2 vigs, but having a single vig means that in a game where that vig is mislynched day 1, town has significantly less power than if they had only lost one of their two vigs. Are roles like backups better than two slightly weaker, overlapping roles? Do you think it's appropriate to juice town PRs a bit more than is necessary to account for sub-optimal action economy (players being AFK, or holstering for inexplicable reasons)?
    I think it's preference, really. And most definitely a combination of all of the above. No method is superior than any other, unless that method is using a bit of each. Because if, for example, a game utilizes only x-shot actions, this can open the doors to a mass-claim and solving through the gaps. So unaware or aware backups help. But having only backups can equally screw over an alignment if a single PR dies and the backup has already died or is unequipped to handle the added responsibilities.

Also, frankly, as a game designer it is difficult to create 25+ fresh roles for each new large-game. So utilizing a little bit of everything to create an asymmetrical design with plenty of support to streamline actions is the best way to go about it.
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

2. ISO #52
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack (#46)
    What's your level of confidence in the Patriots this year? Any concern about Brady in terms of age, losing Gronk/Gordon, etc?

Also - I know you like Switch games, but do you play on any other systems? Favorite playstation/xbox games from the last 10 years?
    I am super high on the Patriots this year, and not just because I'm a homer. I believe our defense, most definitely our secondary, will be a Top 5 unit. It's insanely deep and is getting much younger this year. We also just shut down the Rams, so I see a lot of what we did right carrying over. My biggest concern would be the turnover of staff we've had, but that also hasn't stopped us before. As long as Bill is in charge I trust our defense. I also most definitely trust Tom. I think he'll probably play as well as he did last year and that's more than enough for us to make a deep playoff run. At the very least, I would choose an average Tom Brady over 7/8th of the other quarterbacks in the league. He is so smart at the LOS. I'm also super confident in our skill players, other than maybe the TE position. Our RB stable is extremely talented and deep (Sony will take huge steps this year!) and our WR corps is even more impressive than last year -- again, lost of young, big-bodied receivers who can make plays.

I see the Jets doubling their wins this year so we might lose one to them, but otherwise I see us sweeping our division. The rest of the AFC is full of cupcakes outside of the Colts, Chiefs, and Chargers. I see us winning at least 12 games and making it to at least the AFCCG once again. I'm beyond excited for this year, it feels like one of the youngest, fastest, healthiest teams we've had since possibly 2014.

---

I love my Switch games so much. It's the system with the best first-party offerings in my opinion.

I've never owned a PS, have always been an XBox guy, for better or worse. My friend group just always had XBoxes so I did, too. As far as games... I've mostly played shooters. COD Modern Warfare all the way through Black Ops during my junior year of high school in '11. I gave my XBox to my brother once I graduated, didn't play thoughout college, and bought one again recently in the last two years because of Fortnite. Which I am absolutely addicted to and still play at least 4-5 times a week. I call my XBox my Fortnite machine. I could go on and on about it, trust me -- it's just amazing.

So my XBox across the last 10 years or so has really just been my FPS console. Anything first-person I play on my Switch.

3. ISO #53
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurder3 (#48)
    If you were to happen to possess 6 rings, & then acquired a 7th ring, upon which finger would you place the 7th ring?
    three for my middle finger

4. ISO #54
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchyTheCat (#47)
    what is your biggest regret in mafia

do you prefer being host or player
    taking it too seriously

probably player, hosting just takes so long and its not often rewarding

5. ISO #55
    Definitely SmartBomb Charmander's Avatar
    Community
    Starter Pokemon
    AKA
    ヒトカゲ
    I didn't forget about this @Charmander! Just needed to give it some proper thought and the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander (#9)
    Nice. Some of concepts I was aware of (like determining how long the game should last and adding KP accordingly), but things like ratios between town/mafia KP + estimating deaths, or percentages of the town as PRs are good to get your thoughts on.

Alright, since I have the chance to pick your brain on this I'll throw out some more questions, and you can pick and choose which ones to answer if you don't feel like answering them all.

Mashes tend to have 40+ players which means roles with no abilities other than their voice and vote have considerably less agency than they would in a normal sized game. Mashes also tend to be extremely high variance because of the number of power roles, and inherent difficulties distributing power without throwing other things out of balance (e.g. the N1 + N2 vigs example) in your answer). ITAs are a useful tool in that they both provide players with the perception of greater agency (even if they aren't all that likely to kill someone), and lower the overall variance of the game by making KP more predictable. What would you recommend to someone in general if they wanted to design a Mash without ITAs?
    My first question would be, why avoid using ITAs? ITAs, despite their inherent RNG, are bar none the best method to generate consistent, communal KP, and add agency and purpose for players without PRs. And I say that with mixed emotions, because I wish there was another popular, reliable, Modbot-supported mechanic we could use as large-game hosts to create the same effect. But there really isn't, unfortunately. ITAs monopolize day-time werewolf in this regard.

That being said, if you're looking to create agency and purpose for players without a PR, I'd recommend giving Vanillagers a shared power, specifically a shared Night Action. I've utilized this in my Nintendo Switch Mishmash and UD has utilized this concept countless times. In short, you allow Vanillagers to work with a village PR to Vigilante Kill, or Roleblock, or Angel, etc., a player of their collective choice. So long as the Vanillager PM is public knowledge for the wolves to be safely able to claim, it's a decent alternative. I've also as recent as the Mob Psycho 100 Mishmash utilized roles that create synergy, such as the Wolf Hunter, which gains action based upon the number of Vanillagers that die, or Mob's role, which gained a Day Vigilante Kill after a certain number of villagers died. These are more indirect methods of involvement but add purpose all the same.

The short of it, unfortunately, is that the best way to provide agency for Vanillagers without giving them actions... is ITAs. Or pseudo-Night Actions. This is definitely an area of game design that I believe needs more innovation. Because the contrary, Role Madness, where everyone and their dog has a role, is lazy design, in my opinion, and can create several game-breaking issues.

Another aspect of large games is that they tend to have more complex roles than usual. I want to distinguish these from Full+ roles in that they're not simply normal roles with extra stuff stapled on, but that the mechanics of the role require more thinking about the game state to use effectively. How do you approach designing a game with complex mechanics that doesn't increase the cognitive load required to play the game so much it diminishes the experience? Related question, would you agree that Town roles can be more individually complex as they only have their own role to worry about, whereas Mafia roles need to have less individually complex roles or rather less total role complexity for a faction because members of the Mafia need to think about everyone's role instead of just their own?
    This may be a cop-out answer, but I don't think it's possible. My first piece of advice would be to understand your audience. In my experience -- and I mean no offense to anyone, but -- I've found MU is generally heavy/complex mechanic-adverse. Most players (not all) would rather receive a simple role with simple expectations and shoot players then die and laugh about it in DVC. Which is totally fine. Compared to another forum, like POG in its day, where complex mechanics were mostly expected. It's cultural.

If complex is the way you'd like to go (and I highly encourage it: it's more fun and makes players think!), my next piece of advice would be to have several other experienced hosts take a look at what you've come up with, AND find a way to explain it in its simplest terms. The way a PM is written matters greatly to the success of and understanding of a new mechanic.

I think that's a fair assessment regarding AI role complexity. I design my wolves to have complex roles that work especially well with others, but are never useless on their own. Villagers' roles can be individually complex in ways the wolves cannot because the loss of a single villager is not nearly as detrimental to their wincon. I'd also add, that wolfing is difficult, so I try to make the collective complexity of my wolf roles lesser than that of my villager. Forcing the wolves to do a song and dance, then run a lap, just to use a simple mechanic adds to the stresses of having to lie for 12 hours a day.

What mechanisms do you think work best to reduce the variance in a large game? As you mentioned, there are issues that come with having distributed power for town such as the N1 + N2 vigs, but having a single vig means that in a game where that vig is mislynched day 1, town has significantly less power than if they had only lost one of their two vigs. Are roles like backups better than two slightly weaker, overlapping roles? Do you think it's appropriate to juice town PRs a bit more than is necessary to account for sub-optimal action economy (players being AFK, or holstering for inexplicable reasons)?
    I think it's preference, really. And most definitely a combination of all of the above. No method is superior than any other, unless that method is using a bit of each. Because if, for example, a game utilizes only x-shot actions, this can open the doors to a mass-claim and solving through the gaps. So unaware or aware backups help. But having only backups can equally screw over an alignment if a single PR dies and the backup has already died or is unequipped to handle the added responsibilities.

Also, frankly, as a game designer it is difficult to create 25+ fresh roles for each new large-game. So utilizing a little bit of everything to create an asymmetrical design with plenty of support to streamline actions is the best way to go about it.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, Beck!

I agree that ITAs are the best solution to a few issues (lack of player agency, KP consistency) inherent to large games. I've seen a few people mention a dislike of ITAs or desire for an alternative, and wasn't able to think of one that wasn't worse than ITAs. KP consistency is the big sticking point for me, and I can't find mechanics that would allow ITAs to be replaced.

I've been thinking about ways to experiment with communal powers, and mechanics that in essence create sub-games that players can have agency in early on. I think there's definitely a lot of design space that works for Mafia games in that realm, and a lot of it is unexplored. The Color Switch mechanic from NSM is an example of a really interesting mechanic in that space.

I could sit around and talk game design with you for a long time most likely, but an AMA is not the best place for that kind of discussion. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions though!

6. ISO #56
    Community
    murdermystery@gmail
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog (#38)
    What you see before you, Beck, is a life choice.

The most skilled omelette chef in the world has been asked to do the impossible

Source high-quality ingredients, employ advanced omelette making methods, and create...these two omelettes.

You can have but one though, and it should be noted that they taste completely different.

I thought I'd split them between us, seeing as they were made so carefully and are so very, very special.

If you eat one, you simply cannot - must not - eat the other.

Should you eat both, a pair of ingredients - one in each omelette - will combine to poison you.

Making this choice means you will not be able to taste the second omelette...ever.

No matter what I tell you, you'll never know which one tasted best.

And if you are underwhelmed by your choice, you'll regret your decision forever.
    I pick Omelette A!

(Did I make the right choice?)
    I don't think there's a wrong choice

Even making no choice isn't wrong

Because whatever you decide it's your life

7. ISO #57
    If you had to take anyone to the superbowl - who would it be?

This is a reference to the aar thing zack (and others) do in the "other games" subforum.

Pick a game (and team/faction if that applies) and a short reason.

And .. if you had 2 superbowl tickets who of your fellow mafiaplayers would you take (you don't have to pay any travelcost)?

8. ISO #58
    Wants It Most Apoc's Avatar Game Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck (#43)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog (#38)
    What you see before you, Beck, is a life choice.

The most skilled omelette chef in the world has been asked to do the impossible

Source high-quality ingredients, employ advanced omelette making methods, and create...these two omelettes.

You can have but one though, and it should be noted that they taste completely different.

I thought I'd split them between us, seeing as they were made so carefully and are so very, very special.

If you eat one, you simply cannot - must not - eat the other.

Should you eat both, a pair of ingredients - one in each omelette - will combine to poison you.

Making this choice means you will not be able to taste the second omelette...ever.

No matter what I tell you, you'll never know which one tasted best.

And if you are underwhelmed by your choice, you'll regret your decision forever.
    I pick Omelette A!

(Did I make the right choice?)
    I don't think there's a wrong choice

Even making no choice isn't wrong

Because whatever you decide it's your life
    he's just being nice

Omelette A is clearly the moron's choice

GJ Beck, you have terrible taste in eggs

I forgive you though, because...
    Last edited by Apoc; August 15th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.

9. ISO #59
    ...what is the better egg/flour based food:

crepes or waffles?
    Last edited by Apoc; August 15th, 2019 at 04:48 PM.

10. ISO #60
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    If you had to take anyone to the superbowl - who would it be?

This is a reference to the aar thing zack (and others) do in the "other games" subforum.

Pick a game (and team/faction if that applies) and a short reason.

And .. if you had 2 superbowl tickets who of your fellow mafiaplayers would you take (you don't have to pay any travelcost)?
    Funny you ask, I've actually been wanting to do an AAR for a while now, ever since Zack started the trend.

If I were to do it I'm considering a Pokemon game, maybe Emerald or Platinum. Also considering the fan-made game my brother made, Pokemon Scarlet. If not Pokemon then definitely something like the new Link's Awakening coming out on the Switch in September.

As far as a faction goes, I might just do a Nuzlock challenge run or ask for feedback from anyone following along, like which monsters they'd want me to use. Something like that, probably.

If I could bring one MU member to the Superbowl with me, I would take @GeneralHankerchief, so we could get drunk and watch the Patriots beat the Eagles this February in an absolute smack-down.

11. ISO #61
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    ...what is the better egg/flour based food:

crepes or waffles?
    Waffles are fantastic if made right, but crepes all day, every day. They're light so it's easier to eat more in one sitting, and they can be filled with anything; desert-style, meat and veggies, or just eaten on their own. I love crepes.

12. ISO #62

crepes GOAT

13. ISO #63
    Timezone
    AKA
    Jaland, Shadowlesscloud
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    IF you had a friend to play along with, would you be interested in a soul bind nuzlock?

Its the same mechanics except its two people following each other and the pokemon from each zone is soul binded to the coorelating one of the other player.

e.i. their starter dies, youre dies with it even if it never fainted

14. ISO #64
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    IF you had a friend to play along with, would you be interested in a soul bind nuzlock?

Its the same mechanics except its two people following each other and the pokemon from each zone is soul binded to the coorelating one of the other player.

e.i. their starter dies, youre dies with it even if it never fainted
    That sounds interesting! I suppose I would but it would depend on a lot of factors, such as time and pace. I don’t have a lot of time unfortunately so I imagine any AAR I would play would take me several months.

15. ISO #65
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    How did you get into education as a field?

Favorite books/movies/TV shows?

What are your favorite Pokemon of each type? If you were a gym leader which type would you use?

16. ISO #66
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    What's your main quest and side quest here on MU?
    DoubtingThomas: wtf wisdom $#@!ing derp clearing the living $#@!

17. ISO #67
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    How did you get into education as a field?

Favorite books/movies/TV shows?

What are your favorite Pokemon of each type? If you were a gym leader which type would you use?
    I was studying business/marketing as an undergrad and realized I wasn't happy with my own education - I felt like I was being talked at, not properly taught. I decided I was fed up once one of my management professors gave us a list of terms and told us to memorize their definitions for the test next week. Why was I paying money for that? I wanted a more experiential education. So I set out with a friend of mine to create that experience for us and others. We founded a start-up and received funding from an incubator and I spent my summer between sophomore and junior year of college building the business. It was an amazing experience and I was surrounded by educators who were passionate about the future of education.

Since that summer I've moved on from the startup but have kept my love for education. I believe education is the best way for me to contribute to society beyond my time on this Earth. It transcends me. I also believe education is the solution to racism, to ageism, to sexism, to fear and to hate, and to many other issues we face as a society. It increases global awareness and cultural competency. We all learn in different ways and we are all learning, all of the time, every day of our lives until we die. Many believe education happens only in the classroom but it is our way of life. I find that incredibly beautiful and I want to preserve that and improve it (because as I said, our systems are far, far from perfect). I could keep going, but tl;dr I find education crucial to our lives and I want to be a part of that.

---

My favourite books are mostly non-fiction. I would rather watch Harry Potter than read the books (though, I have read the books). I collect books, too, and hope to have my own personal library room one day. Some of my favourite authors are Gary Vaynerchuck, Seth Godin, Malcolm Gladwell, Arne Duncan, Ken Robinson, Jim Collins, and Albert Camus... and those are just some of the names of the authors whose books I have on my desk next to me. Actual books, probably How Schools Work by Arne Duncan, Good to Great by Jim Collins, The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell, REWORK by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson, and How Children Succeed by Paul Tough. I would highly recommend any of those five, all relate to education, business, and life.

Favourite movies would be Remember the Titans, Inception, The Dark Knight, Saving Private Ryan, Django Unchained, Fight Club, Seven, The Departed, Good Will Hunting, and Ocean's Eleven.

I'm a big Leonardo DiCaprio fan, he's wicked talented. Remember the Titans still makes me cry real-man tears.

Chills every time. Leave no doubt.

TV shows? I honestly don't watch much TV. I'd rather read or watch a movie or play video games. I am a big fan of Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, though. There's probably more but nothing that comes to mind.

I need a few to think about my favourite Pokemon by type... Incoming in the next post.

18. ISO #68
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    So, this was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I went through each type and found a lot of my favourites, for one reason or another. I listed them all here (and listed dual-types twice, for consistency's sake) but if I HAVE to choose I highlighted that Pokemon in bold red. A few quick notes...

(1) Heracross is my favourite Pokemon.
    (2) Generation 3 (Hoenn) has the best Pokemon of any generation.
    (3) I don't have may (or any?) favourites from G6 + G7. The designs just fell way off.
    (4) I almost always pick Water starters with a new generation, but Grookey looks awesome so far -- hopefully GF doesn't $#@! up his evolution line.

Bug - Heracross / Shuckle / Scizor / Armaldo / Scolipede
    Dark - Tyranitar / Weavile / Krookodile / Scrafty
    Dragon - Dragonite / Kingdra / Altaria / Flygon / Salamance / Latios / Garchomp / Goodra / Noivern
    Electric - Jolteon / Zapdos / Ampharos / Manectric
    Fairy - Azumarill / Gardevoir / Togekiss / Whimsicott
    Fighting - Heracross / Blaziken / Breloom / Infernape / Toxicroak / Gallade / Scrafty / Mienshao
    Fire - Charizard / Arcanine / Typhlosion / Blaziken / Infernape
    Flying - Charizard / Pidgeot / Gyarados / Aerodactyl / Zapdos / Dragonite / Crobat / Jumpluff / Salamance / Staraptor / Drifblim / Togekiss / Gliscor / Noivern
    Ghost - Gengar / Drifblim / Dusknoir / Froslass / Aegislash / Palossand
    Grass - Vileplume / Meganium / Jumpluff / Sceptile / Ludicolo / Breloom / Roserade / Grookey
    Ground - Golem / Marowak / Steelix / Donphan / Swampert / Flygon / Garchomp / Gliscor / Krookodile / Palossand
    Ice - Cloyster / Lapras / Walrein / Weavile / Froslass
    Normal - Pidgeot / Snorlax / Girafarig / Urasaring / Slaking / Staraptor
    Poison - Vileplume / Venomoth / Gengar / Weezing / Crobat / Roserade / Toxicroak / Scolipede
    Psychic - Alakazam / Slowbro / Gardevoir / Metagross / Latios / Gallade / Azelf / Reuniclus
    Rock - Golem / Aerodactyl / Sudowoodo / Shuckle / Tyranitar / Aggron / Armaldo
    Steel - Scizor / Aggron / Metagross / Empoleon / Aegislash
    Water - Slowbro / Cloyster / Gyarados / Lapras / Vaporeon / Azumarill / Kingdra / Swampert / Ludicolo / Walrein / Empoleon

What was so difficult about this is some Pokemon like Alakazam I like more than Gallade based on their Psychic typing alone... But I like Gallade more collectively. Like, if I had to add a Psychic-type to my team it would probably be Alakazam or Reuniclus, but all things considered? Gallade for sure. Solo vs. Dual-types, for you.

Also, several Pokemon that are my absolute favourites but aren't my favourite by type, that I wanted to highlight: Alakazam / Weezing (G:Weezing HYPE!) / Vaporeon /Dragonite / Azumarill / Ampharos / Scizor / Sceptile / Slaking / Aggron / Altaria / Ludicolo / Latios

If I had to pick a Gym-type, I would be a Fighting-type Gym Leader. I'd prefer to be a 7th or 8th leader. My team would probably be something like Heracross, Breloom, Infernape, Toxicroak, Gallade, Scrafty.

19. ISO #69
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    My main quest has always been to see the community succeed. MU is run by some really, really stand-up, caring individuals, @Thingyman and @Makaze. I have so much respect for who they are and what they've done to make MU successful. Their combination of werewolf knowledge, ability to connect people, and masterful software has created a site I believe in. All of the online and IRL friendships that exist now have a lot to do with those two, and many of the Staff they've collected.

I think in my time since MU's inception I've done something to help their efforts. I've served as a blue moderator and started the green game managers as well as the current game queue system. I've hosted as many games as I've had time for. I designed the https://www.mafiauniverse.com/ landing page, pushed for the move from Skype to Discord, and asked for the Awards system to recognize our best members. I've also had a hand in writing many of the guides and FAQs you see posted today. But none of my efforts to make MU a better place would've been possible without Thingyman and Makaze. So I enjoy being given the opportunity to be a part of everything they've done.

My side quest, to enjoy playing werewolf while here, I've had varying degrees of success with. Werewolf is fun but it's an emotional, challenging game with lots of egos and sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I just don't. But that's part of the experience and I wouldn't trade my time playing for anything.

20. ISO #70
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4)
    Who is your favourite Red Dwarf character?
    @El-ahrairah this is probably the most important question in any personality test ever. (And we all know the true answer, if you meow what I mean)

21. ISO #71
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom (#66)
    My main quest has always been to see the community succeed. MU is run by some really, really stand-up, caring individuals, @Thingyman and @Makaze. I have so much respect for who they are and what they've done to make MU successful. Their combination of werewolf knowledge, ability to connect people, and masterful software has created a site I believe in. All of the online and IRL friendships that exist now have a lot to do with those two, and many of the Staff they've collected.

I think in my time since MU's inception I've done something to help their efforts. I've served as a blue moderator and started the green game managers as well as the current game queue system. I've hosted as many games as I've had time for. I designed the https://www.mafiauniverse.com/ landing page, pushed for the move from Skype to Discord, and asked for the Awards system to recognize our best members. I've also had a hand in writing many of the guides and FAQs you see posted today. But none of my efforts to make MU a better place would've been possible without Thingyman and Makaze. So I enjoy being given the opportunity to be a part of everything they've done.

My side quest, to enjoy playing werewolf while here, I've had varying degrees of success with. Werewolf is fun but it's an emotional, challenging game with lots of egos and sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I just don't. But that's part of the experience and I wouldn't trade my time playing for anything.
    Aw, that's one heck of a quest log, well done! I recognize deserved pride when I see it.

What's the single best thing about the MU community?

I saw your enthusiasm in education. Is there something in that field you'd like to do research/write books about?

22. ISO #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom (#70)
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4)
    Who is your favourite Red Dwarf character?
    @El-ahrairah this is probably the most important question in any personality test ever. (And we all know the true answer, if you meow what I mean)
    Only the coolest cats know the true answer - anything else is a cat-astrophe!
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies"

Jackofhearts2005: El analyses every single Achro post and gives the whole thing a massive scumread. Achro replies with one sentence and a frowny face. This game is over.

23. ISO #73
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

24. ISO #74
    Community
    FlopTurnRiver

Did you know at a young age you would be a werewolf icon?

25. ISO #75
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck (#69)

Aw, that's one heck of a quest log, well done! I recognize deserved pride when I see it.

What's the single best thing about the MU community?

I saw your enthusiasm in education. Is there something in that field you'd like to do research/write books about?
    The best thing about the MU community is without a doubt its diversity of people. Late teens to people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, +. People from the US across the world to Australia. People who speak differently and think differently and play differently. It's the mix of people that makes MU so awesome.

For education, I'm most interested in how poverty and education intertwine. It's not news that our poorest performing education systems are not properly funded and the communities which surround them are impoverished. It's created in the US an intellectual disparity based on factors most children cannot control and do not understand. And it's not fair. So I'm very interested in school funding and other humanitarian issues surrounding communities, such as poverty and homelessness.

26. ISO #76
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    Are you a fan of Jeff Beck as well?

Did you know at a young age you would be a werewolf icon?
    Jeff Beck of the Yardbirds? He's cool.

I had no clue I'd be a werewolf icon, but I don't consider myself one by any stretch. Thanks for suggesting it, though lol

27. ISO #77
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    I'm all finished here, thanks everyone for the questions and interest in me!

Passing the next AMA to one of the chillest dudes on MU, @Logic