Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shad Walrus 2019

1. ISO #101
    I want to hear some fabulous drumming. Great doesn't always have to be complex. Sometimes it can just be a really passionate performance. Some of my favorite drummers keep it pretty simple but nail the dynamics. Others are masters of complex chaos. I'm down for either. Focus is on execution; if a human isn't playing it, it better at least sound convincingly like one could be.
    Last edited by Shad; September 23rd, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

2. ISO #102

Moose

Not YMCA Rats

Never heard a mouse kick a bass drum that hard in my life. Feels like it's my birthday today.

I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

3. ISO #103

Chemist

Gareth Coker - Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark (Hydra Remix)

This is obviously programmed and I feel I need to dock it hard for that. Performance was a key element, and I made that clear in the write-up. The drumming in this isn't just synthetic, it's really basic synthetic. You still managed to hit my vgm sweet spot and that spares it a point or two. Hard cat fail on a fun but not super memorable tune.

4. ISO #104
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Chem, Mist, Roxas, Wind
    21st place:

Chemist

Gareth Coker - Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark (Hydra Remix)

This is obviously programmed and I feel I need to dock it hard for that. Performance was a key element, and I made that clear in the write-up. The drumming in this isn't just synthetic, it's really basic synthetic. You still managed to hit my vgm sweet spot and that spares it a point or two. Hard cat fail on a fun but not super memorable tune.

let the record show that I cannot read, apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

5. ISO #105

Owner

Lumé - Young Man

Fun groove, and the beat's obviously what drives it. I feel like the category was misunderstood here though. I could play this given a weekend with a drum set and nothing better to do. Misses the performance aspect.

6. ISO #106

Owner (alt)

Venetian Snares - Sajtban

Someone didn't read my category description, and that's unfortunate because Venetian Snares are really rad. The noisy bombast is right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you can produce a human being capable of playing it I will reconsider the top 10 potential, but for now you can have the max I can justify for a total cat fail.

That's about 5

7. ISO #107

MF DOOM

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher

You know, I was always too distracted trying to figure out why anyone thought Van Halen was a great guitarist to pay much attention to the drums in this, and they're really quite fun. Nothing particularly impressive and I always found this tune pretty annoying as a kid, but you could do a lot worse.

8. ISO #108

LordQuas

Retro Family - The Prince

I'll have you know the original copy you sent me of this placed dead last because it was unlistenable lol. Found a proper version. It still ends very abruptly and doesn't really feel like a complete song. The drummer's having fun with it, but I don't feel like he's doing anything particularly special. Eh.

5.8, but that's better than you were originally getting.

9. ISO #109

nutella

Esben and the Witch - No Dog

This is a style I generally enjoy. The singing from the two to four minute section is holding me back. She's not progressing with the rest of the band and it's too in the foreground, kind of kills the build-up for me. She sounds so much better when she comes back in at the end. I'm supposed to be focused on the drumming here of course, and I'd say the washed production isn't doing the guy any favors. He's into it, but not in a way that stands out to me above and beyond a whole bunch of other songs that take roughly the same approach.

10. ISO #110

John Travolta

Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver

Wow talk about walking me back to the 90s. The song is fun and chaotic, but the drumming isn't really doing all that much, and the execution is fine but doesn't take it to any sort of higher level. Fun but familiar song on the low end of a cat fit. More of a guitar track and the competition this round is tight.

11. ISO #111

Slimy Soab

Vampire Weekend - Walcott

This is kind of boring to me outside of the cello bits. I get the cat fit; he's absolutely wailing on them. Song lacks much immediate appeal and my head just goes to "ok but every metal drummer hits this hard while doing ten times as much." There's something sweet and endearing about it though that keeps growing on me. The tune lingers around in a way a lot of other subs haven't. This is the kid brother of the sub I wanted having a blast going ham on basic. I'm ok with that.

12. ISO #112

soah

Dissection - Night's Blood

Storm of the Light's Bane is such a fantastic album and I don't even care that I've heard this song 100 times aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ole Öhman definitely delivers for his day. This is some difficult stuff and he's tight and on point throughout. Doesn't bear the level of complexity delivered by modern bm greats like Lev Weinstein and Greg Fox, and maybe I'm a harsh critic of the genre nearest and dearest to me.

13. ISO #113

Roman

Sons of Kemet - My Queen is Harriet Tubman

I think it would be interesting to actually see them play this. I gather that's two drummers? Kind of hard to wrap my head around everything that's going on, especially with the sax so dominant in the foreground. And the sax isn't taking enough risks to really retain its welcome for six minutes. I think the less interesting performance is getting the spotlight here, and it wears on me quickly on replay, but the drumming is wild and I still don't feel like I've processed half of it. As a late sub, it didn't get nearly as much play time to grow on me, so that might be a factor.

14. ISO #114

Newcomb

The Bad Plus - Flim

Subbing a cover of one of my sample tracks from another category was a strange decision haha. I dig that the guy was able to transpose James's sequencing into a live performance. Feels like he's focused on replicating the original when I wish he would owned it more, but maybe that feeling is just a byproduct of the need to speed it down a fair bit to be playable. Definitely a cat fit, and an intriguing objective. I don't enjoy it as much as the original, but it put a smile on my face.

15. ISO #115

Ampharos
    Bunny
    CrimsonFox
    Fable
    iaafr
    Keldeo
    ladd
    Sentenza
    Zack
    Zarathustra

16. ISO #116

ladd

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Fire

Hard to go wrong with Jimi Hendrix and co in any category that demands a passionate performance. Mitchell's laying it all out with an intensity and intuitive feel that still holds up 50+ years down the line. There's so much dynamic precision in this tune. Every beat is delivered with spontaneous intent that doesn't just drive the song but really writes its narrative. The only real downside is we've all already heard it a hundred times, and since I can't give every perfect submission a perfect score, that's going to cost it some.

17. ISO #117

Zarathustra

Death Grips - Full Moon (Death Classic)

MC Ride is so out of control on their early $#@! haha.

This song is fabulous but let's be honest, Zach Hill's gig on the track I sampled for this category is way better than what he's doing here. Still a lot to be said for a song that can deliver this hard with almost exclusively drum and vox. There's electronic enhancement going on here but I know he plays it raw. A solid live cut might have gone higher.

18. ISO #118

CrimsonFox

Rush - Digital Man

This song feels like something that would play in 2300 AD in Chrono Trigger. Tastefully moody tune that does a great job as a background piece. I'm consistently enjoying passive listens to it but struggling to hone in on the percussion and stay fixed with it through the ride. That's not an inherently bad thing. These guys really meld and play off of each other well. I think he's accomplishing exactly what he sets out to flawlessly, and it's far from basic. Really enjoyed the tune, and the talent is evident. You also get the prize for farthest trend upward from my initial play through to my final draft.

19. ISO #119

Zack

Cloud Nothings - Now Hear In

I love it. Bought the album after about three plays. This song is all raw energy and the entire band delivers on equal footing. It's a really simple tune, and that's hard to measure against so many tracks that went all in on the category. It ended up being my most listened-to cat 1 submission. When I take a step back out of the immediate experience, it tends to slip down the charts faster than others. This is where it ultimately nestled in.

20. ISO #120

Bunny

Joy Division - Shadowplay

This is a really bold sub for a drumming category, and it paid off. Morris is playing the cold nihilistic counterpoint to Curtis and Sumner's passion. It doesn't deliver the category in any sort of direct sense. It's a minimalistic, simple performance that's intentionally monotonous. But you can cut the tension with a knife, and every time he rolls on the snare, the bleak backdrop coalesces with the rest of the instrumentation and sends a jolt up your spine. I love it, and it's ultimately the drums that make it so powerful.

Last edited by Shad; September 23rd, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

21. ISO #121

Ampharos
    Fable
    iaafr
    Keldeo
    Sentenza

22. ISO #122

Ampharos

Snarky Puppy - Bad Kids to the Back

But performance is a big part of this category, and credit where credit's due. You absolutely nailed it. Wow. The only argument I can give for relegating this to 5th is the mood it's shipping isn't one I get excited for as readily as the rest. Call me selfish.

Apparently my first paragraph was eaten in the sands of time somewhere but gg

23. ISO #123

Fable

Tool - Fear Inoculum

This is so peaceful and visceral and I'm instantly in love. Tool are still killing it. Carey's style is totally unique in rock and yet his band defined a generation of artists to follow. Amazing to hear these dudes still setting the gold standard 30 years later.

24. ISO #124

iaafr

LCD Soundsystem - Yeah (Crass Version)

The top 4 were in a league of their own and never shifted positions at any point for all that I shuffled the rest a dozen times.

Wow there is so much subtle nuance in how long and hard he lets those cymbals ring. I feel like this guy is in total control of what he's doing. Beat's tight and masterfully executed, love the tune in its own right, great stuff.

25. ISO #125

Keldeo

Don Caballero - Sure We Had Knives Around

I feel like the last track warped us to some higher plane of existence and now this song kicks off exploring it.

26. ISO #126

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Miami Gato

I guess we're back down to earth now stylistically, but I have no idea how a human is playing this. Maybe it's something in the accessibility of the sound, but when this style of jazz is a cat fit it almost always blows me away the most.

Shame the track ends so abruptly. I wish it rolled on for 10 minutes, but that doesn't change the outcome. gg

27. ISO #127

22. 2.0 Moose
    21. 3.0 Chemist1422
    20. 4.0 Owner
    19. 5.0 Owner2
    18. 5.5 MF DOOM
    17. 5.8 LordQuas
    16. 6.0 nutella
    15. 6.2 John Travolta
    14. 7.0 Slimy Soab
    13. 7.2 soah
    12. 7.5 Roman
    11. 7.8 Newcomb
    10. 8.0 ladd
    9. 8.2 Zarathustra
    8. 8.3 CrimsonFox
    7. 8.6 Zack
    6. 9.0 Bunny
    5. 9.5 Ampharos
    4. 9.7 Fable
    3. 9.8 iaafr
    2. 9.9 Keldeo
    1. 10.0 Sentenza

28. ISO #128
    There's a cool breeze in the city that propels us along through a neon nighttime maze. Occasionally the towering structures yield way to a jumble of cars swarming like frenzied ants down the highway. It's futuristic, but it isn't dystopian necessarily. At least, it comes without dread. We're content to be lost in this sea of humanity and soak in its wonders.

29. ISO #129

Moose

Crazy MegaloGummi Axel Harder, Better, We Are Nae Nae Number Seven Grand Frog F

Straight from the megalopolis of Bedrock.

30. ISO #130

CrimsonFox

Rush - Driven

I loved the last Rush sub but this one is a hard cat fail for me and doesn't hold up for the purpose it does serve. I wanted a gazing out the window in urban wonder song and this is a racing down the highway song. It's also a racing down the highway song that falls kind of flat to a guy who digs stoner metal. Sorry.

31. ISO #131

Zack

Interpol - Untitled (Live)

This is a category fit. That's about all I have to say about it. I feel like the bassist keeps hitting the wrong notes, and maybe that's intentional, but I'm not convinced it's anything more than a really poor rehearsal take. Maybe a studio cut of it would have fared better.

32. ISO #132

ladd

Daniel Licht - Bus To Nowhere

For a Silent Hill tune not composed by Akira Yamaoka, this is nice. Takes a while to shape into my vision for the category and doesn't stay there long. I don't think I can rank it very high on that. It's really just not what I was looking for. Enjoyed it though.

33. ISO #133

Slimy Soab

Bag Raiders - Shooting Stars

The album cover promises, but the song doesn't really deliver. It's ok and could find a home in an extended playlist of urban cruising tunes, but it's too basic and up-beat to stand alone for this category.

34. ISO #134

Owner (alt)

Gunship - Pink Mist

Not a bad tune. I think it's too foreboding to fit exactly what I was looking for though. I'm not sure I want to be in this city longer than I have to. $#@!'s about to hit the fan. Really cool tune though. I think it would have been much more at home in the dystopia category from my first walrus.

35. ISO #135

Fable

Gabriela Robin - Torukia

So close XD. The right GitS or Akira tune could have crushed this category. This one is a little too poppy to initially move me when it runs into an instant direct comparison to Kanji Kawai. I love SAC, but the music to the movies dwarfs its soundtrack imo. It's hard to block that out of my mind and judge it independently. This is also very much a credit theme, with a lot of thematic appeal that doesn't lend itself well to getting lost. I want to reward this sub for hitting on a franchise that was on my mind when I designed the category, but it's just not selling me on the category theme as much as I would have expected.

36. ISO #136

MF DOOM

The Glitch Mob - Drive It Like You Stole It

This is probably suffering from late sub syndrome. At any rate, I think it fits every basic requirement I was looking for but just isn't a particularly memorable or interesting tune. It's actually kind of minimalistic for all that it plays to a big hitting heavy bass sound. I had to focus to see the vision; it didn't take me there unconditionally on its own merit.

37. ISO #137

iaafr

Still Corners - The Trip

This is a great cruising tune to be sure. Not sure it takes me to the right place for the category. I'm seeing open fields and starry nights and a trip through the country side. Loved it though, especially in the final minute.

38. ISO #138
    The Self Narrator Owner Of A Lonely Heart's Avatar
    Community
    personalitycafe.com/daily mafia
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    19th place:

Owner (alt)

Someone didn't read my category description, and that's unfortunate because Venetian Snares are really rad. The noisy bombast is right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you can produce a human being capable of playing it I will reconsider the top 10 potential, but for now you can have the max I can justify for a total cat fail.

That's about 5

@Shad I'm pretty sure he plays it, but this is the only video of him I've seen as performing live. The rest just have the cover art.

39. ISO #139

Sentenza

John Maus - Streetlight

What a bizarre tune. I like it, but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's appropriate for an urban drive in an obscure sort of way. The vocal effect is interesting. It's a high risk sub, and I like that. Maybe it just feels a little too sinister to completely nail what I wanted here.

40. ISO #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Owner Of A Lonely Heart (#138)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#106)
    19th place:

Owner (alt)

That's about 5

@Shad I'm pretty sure he plays it, but this is the only video of him I've seen as performing live. The rest just have the cover art.
    20 seconds of playing that over top of the current reveal has me really intrigued and I will definitely check this out

~lolshad

41. ISO #141

soah

Chromatics - Lady

For all that it trends on the dark side, I think it's a functional fit. It's not foreboding dark, just night-driven. Something in the lyrics and how they're executed grates on me a bit though, and I never fully got over that. That's going to hold it back from the big hit pack.

42. ISO #142

John Travolta

Oliver Tank - Last Night I Heard Everything In Slow Motion

Hmm... It's an interesting sub, and I get it in a way. Except the subject is looking inward, numb to the landscape. I'm watching the scene from a distance. I want to be directly experiencing it. It's melancholy when I want to be intrigued. Also what is all this sunlight I crave darkness.

It actually sells a really vivid and definitely urban vision, it's just not my vision. It's a creative sub, and I like that.

43. ISO #143

Ampharos
    Bunny
    Chemist1422
    Keldeo
    LordQuas
    Newcomb
    nutella
    Owner
    Roman
    Zarathustra

44. ISO #144

Owner

Stelvio Cipriani - Mary's Theme

I've always been a sucker for this sort of sound. It's exactly the sort of vibe to be cruising through a city at night. I think it has some aesthetic parallels to the tracks I love to drive to on Radiohead's Amnesiac. I just wish there was more to it. The length is the limiting factor that kept it from really competing with the tracks that follow, but it was enough to squeeze into the top 10.

45. ISO #145

Newcomb

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

This is gorgeous and huge and always feels like it's going somewhere. Feels like something I would have used for a sample track here if I'd known it existed. Still a few tracks I enjoyed more, but we're starting to max out the category's potential at this point.

46. ISO #146

Ampharos

TWRP - Synthesize Her

Cute. I think it works and it's a fun track. A bit too pop-driven to let me get fully immersed in the category's vision, but I unconditionally loved it and it certainly has the right vibe.

47. ISO #147

Chemist

Pascal Michael Stiefel - Subcon Village (Remix)

The pacing of this song is perfect for the scene, and while it's certainly not a happy tune, I don't think it's particularly grim either. I'm feeling kind of dazed staring out my window as these monolithic structures pass me by, and it's just their otherness that chills me, not some tangible threat. I'll admit this might have fared just as well in my dystopia category, but I can see it from a New York City taxi cab too.

48. ISO #148

Keldeo

65daysofstatic - Unmake the Wild Light

This starts out as a category fit falling hard in line with my Maserati sample and slowly drifts further and further away from anything that belongs here while getting better and better and better so that by the end I couldn't care less if we've lost the mark somewhere. Close enough for a breathtaking song. I mean, it really is still a nighttime city landscape. Our car just drifted off of the highway and into the aether some time ago.

49. ISO #149

Bunny
    LordQuas
    nutella
    Roman
    Zarathustra

50. ISO #150

nutella

Balmorhea - Settler

Folk is a tough genre to try to tackle this category with, and I'm really surprised one managed to get there. Something in the piano and their willingness to err on the side of minimalism adapts it to the setting. It's a slightly different sort of feeling than the other finalists. I'm not immersed in the world around me so much as longing to be. That's a cool feeling too. And I feel like the final passage even follows the script I laid out, broadening out to a less overbearing landscape. Thoroughly impressed by this unconventional approach to the category.