Those of you who know me may or may not be aware of the fact that I'm a HUGE $#@!ing nerd. As such, I'm a big fan of the following:
- The 1954 strategy board game Diplomacy
- George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Given that I have nothing better to do, I'd like to combine the two. Let's play some Diplomacy.
We'll be playing with this map, which was
stolenborrowed from the BoardGameGeek forums.
Based on the thread I found it in, I'm confident that it's been playtested to a degree that it's in the "playable" range of game balance.
Our 8 "nations" are as follows:
House Stark (White)
House Greyjoy (Black)
House Tully (Blue)
House Arryn (Cyan)
House Lannister (Red)
House Baratheon (Yellow)
House Tyrell (Green)
House Martell (Orange)
Slight cosmetic tweaks to the map will be made in order to ease the updating process. The final map may look slightly different but will functionally be the same.edit: did this already, edited the corrected map into this post
The basic rules of Diplomacy can be found here. As we're playing with a nonstandard map, some of these rules obviously do not apply. Changes to the standard ruleset are as follows:
- There are 53 total supply centers on the map. Due to the sheer size of the map and number of players, victory will only require 20 supply centers.
- In addition to the blacked-out areas, lakes (such as near Harrenhal) and rivers (such as next to Kingsroad middle) are impassable terrain. Fleets cannot be built at or traverse these areas.
- Split coastlines can be found at The Wall, Moat Cailin, Greywater Forest, and Maidenpool. Standard rules for split coastlines apply.
- Any unlabeled islands are entirely cosmetic and do not represent actual game spaces.
As far as gameflow goes: Spring and Fall phases will have 48 hour deadlines. Winter and retreat phases will have 24 hour deadlines. Deadlines will be strictly upheld. Unordered units will be considered holding in place. Unordered disbands will start with the furthest units away from home supply centers - fleets first, then armies. Further ties broken alphabetically by space.
The above rules are negotiable depending on the preferences of the players, but will not be changed after the game starts except in cases of extreme emergency.
When signing up, please PRIVATELY submit a ranked list of nations. You will receive the first choice on your list that's still available. Nation assignments will not be revealed until gamestart.
Game will start when filled (unless it fills before I can fix the map, in which case it'll have to wait a bit lol), flexible at player request.