Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire the Muskets: A UMass Story (NCAA Football 14 AAR)

1. ISO #1
    Fair enough DaveDob's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    DailyMafia/MiniMafia/MU/SMAS
    Fire the Muskets: A UMass Story (NCAA Football 14 AAR)

Hey all.

Being inspired by Zack's Madden AAR with the Raiders and Dolphins and GH's FM AAR with Cartagena, I decided I would throw my hat into the AAR ring with a playthrough of NCAA Football 14.

I love college football. I've always found it to be more entertaining than the pro game just given the overall vast nature of the college game. With all different kinds of schools battling it out for some kind of glory, weather it be contending for the national title, battling to win the conference, or just getting your sorry ass to .500 just to make a bowl game.

In this story I will be going through a fairly long term build with UMass. A program I have been following pretty much my entire life. We will be starting in the 2014 season, just the second year in the FBS for the Minutemen starting with a team that quite frankly is one of the weakest teams in the game.

A couple of ground rules for what we are working with in this AAR:
    1. I will be sticking with UMass the entire playthrough, I can not accept any jobs from any other team. That would defeat the purpose of what I want to get out of this AAR.
    2. In games I will be using 8 minute quarters playing on both sides of the ball.
    3. I can only recruit players interested in joining UMass. I can not go out and try to get players who don't want to be here.
    4. If I play an FCS opponent in a season, I can not schedule another one for at least 2 seasons.
    5. I must allow players to transfer.

Unfortunately since this is not a PC game I won't be having images or clips to show but hopefully that won't be to big of an issue and you will follow me through this journey.

Now without further ado it's time to get this show on the road.

GO UMASS!!!
    “DaveDob is the best player in the zoom” -Manti 2018

2. ISO #2
    Community
    A Brief Background

It is August 2014 in Amherst, Massachusetts. The University of Massachusetts (commonly referred to as UMass) is preparing to continue it's new life in the FBS. After a first season at the highest division in college in which the Minutemen went 1-11, there is hope for progress and a continued building of the program. They would have to do this under new leadership.

After now former coach Charlie Molnar stepped down in the summer for undisclosed reasons UMass had to find someone to take over the reigns fast. Someone who can take the reigns and bring the Minutemen to new heights. His name, Terrence Battle.

Terrence Battle is a former Defensive End from Taunton, MA. Having played his college football for the USC Trojans he knows what it takes to play at the highest level. Following his playing career it wasn't long before he found himself in the coaching ranks. Taking roles as a Head Coach at D2 Assumption College, Defensive Coordinator Jobs at FCS Georgia Southern and UC Davis, and DL line coach jobs at his alma matter, SMU and Fresno State. He has experience under his belt but is now looking to his newest challenge with UMass.

With the new season on the horizon and little time to adjust, the Minutemen set forth on a new adventure in the wild college football landscape
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 24th, 2019 at 09:53 PM.

3. ISO #3
    Community
    Roster Preview Offense

QB:
    Mike Wegzyn RS SO 72 Overall 84 Throw Power 76 Throw Accuracy
    Backup Todd Stafford FR 66 Overall 83 Throw Power 77 Throw Accuracy

Position we are going to need to build a lot from later down the line. For this first season we are going to have to work with last years starter Mike Wegzyn under center. Don't love him but he will need to be serviceable if we want to do anything this first season. Backup Todd Stafford is only a Freshman and will have time to grow behind Wegzyn for the moment.

RB
    Jordan Broadnax JR 72 Overall 90 Speed 84 Agility 84 Acceleration
    Backup Lorenzo Woodley FR 69 Overall 84 Speed 81 Agility 88 Acceleration 80 Juke Move

Jordan Broadnax is exactly the type of back I'm going to look for into the future with this team. High speed guy who will allow us to establish the run so we can then beat the team over the top passing. Second and Third stringers are both Freshman so we can look towards the future with them.

WR
    Tajae Sharpe SO 71 Overall 88 Speed 74 Catch 70 Route Running 76 Jumping
    Bernard Davis SO 68 Overall 84 Agility 77 Catch 70 Route Running 92 Jumping
    DJ Woods FR 66 Overall 91 Speed 65 Catch 70 Route Running 85 Jumping
    Elgin Long RS SO 65 Overall 65 Catch 70 Route Running

Receiving Core is largely made up of fast guys with questionable hands. Safe to say it's going to be verticle city in the early going. Tajae Sharpe's 6'2" frame will come in handy and Bernard Davis jumping ability helps make him a red zone threat and allows for 50/50 ball winning potential.

TE
    Rob Blanchflower RS SR 77 Overall 77 Speed 70 Strength 76 Catch 67 Route Running
    Sharif Curtis FR 63 Overall 75 Speed 73 Strength 74 Catch 66 Route Running 78 Jumping

Tight Ends are going to be a critical part of the offense this first season. Rob Blanchflower is a stud and is the impact player of the offense. Sharif Curtis has some promise to him and is one to watch out for in development.

O-Line
    LT Anthony Dima RS SR 64 Overall 74 Pass Block 72 Run Block
    LG Al Leneus SO 60 Overall 77 Pass Block 65 Run Block
    C Matt Sparks SO 66 Overall 73 Pass Block 71 Run Block
    RG Tyshon Henderson FR 62 Overall 77 Pass Block 69 Run Block
    RT Tyrell Smith RS FR 67 Overall 76 Pass Block 73 Run Block

Easily the part of the team I'm looking to improve the most. This unit is fairly weak for the FBS standard. The good news is most of them are young and will have time to improve. Especially given we have basically no depth at the position. Recruiting focus is likely going here.
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 24th, 2019 at 11:58 PM.

4. ISO #4
    Community
    Roster Preview Defense/Special Teams

D-Line
    LE Kevin Byrne RS SR 69 Overall 71 Power Move 72 Finesse Move 77 Block Shedding
    RE Stanley Andre SR 71 Overall 69 Power Move 69 Finesse Move 72 Block Shedding 75 Pursuit
    DT Galen Clemons RS SR 64 Overall 66 Power Move 67 Finesse Move 65 Block Shedding
    DT Justin Anderson RS SR 63 Overall 74 Power Move 70 Finesse Move 76 Block Shedding

One of our more experienced units is the D-Line. Despite the stats I like Stanley Andre as a player and I'm hopeful Justin Anderson can play above his overall despite playing out of position (normally an edge rusher). There is enough depth that someone can step in and the line can shift around if injuries occur with Anderson's natural position being the edge and Brandon Potvin and Trey Seals also on the depth chart.

LBs
    OLB Kassan Messiah SO 74 Overall 81 Speed 84 Acceleration 77 Tackling 79 Hit Power 76 Pursuit 77 Play Recognition
    MLB Jovan Santos-Knox SO 71 Overall 76 Speed 78 Acceleration 78 Tackle 73 Pursuit
    OLB Tom Brandt RS SR 67 Overall 83 Speed 84 Acceleration 71 Tackle 70 Pursuit

Probably my favorite unit on the team is our core of Linebackers. Kassan Messiah is my favorite player on this team. Offering a lot of different things to the defense. Jovan Santos-Knox is going to be his running mate with him for a good while and he can go as well. Brandt is left behind in the overall department but the RS SR offers speed and lots of it. Micheal McKenna is the projected backup on all 3 linebacking positions and the projected ILB2 in potential 3-4 schemes. 64 Overall RS SO who mostly provides speed and not much else.

Secondary
    CB Randall Jette RS SO 73 Overall 85 Speed 87 Acceleration 80 Jumping 77 Tackle 80 Pursuit 81 Man Coverage 84 Zone Coverage
    CB Trey Dudley-Giles SO 70 Overall 85 Speed 86 Acceleration 70 Tackle 82 Pursuit 83 Man Coverage 82 Zone Coverage
    FS Ed Saint Vil RS JR 69 Overall 83 Speed 68 Tackle 76 Pursuit 65 Man Coverage 73 Zone Coverage
    SS Khary Bailey-Smith SO 71 Overall 88 Speed 88 Acceleration 66 Tackle 68 Man Coverage 76 Zone Coverage

What I'm dubbing the "Nickname Unit" the secondary has some bright spots but ultimately has some glaring flaws to it. "Air Martha's Vineyard" Randall Jette and TDG are both really solid cornerbacks who I could see really developing well. ESV is solid for what he offers but I'm likely searching for his replacement in recruiting. KBS is a really good speed guy with good abilities in zone which I do like to see in my safeties. That tackling is concerning though. Depth pieces include a solid Jaruice Jones, Joe Colton who is basically just as good as ESV and might have a fight to get the start as a SO, and an Antoine Tharpe who I'm probably converting to safety where he fits better.

Special Teams
    K Blake Lucas SO 75 Overall
    P Jeff Strait RS SR 73 Overall
    KR/PR Greg Orekoya (RB) RS JR 86 Overall 86 Speed 87 Acceleration
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 24th, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    Schedule

Week 1: @ Wisconsin
    Week 2: vs. Maine (FCS)
    Week 3: @ Kansas State
    Week 4: vs. Vanderbelt
    Week 5: Bye
    Week 6 @ Bowling Green *
    Week 7: vs. Miami OH *
    Week 8: @ Buffalo *
    Week 9: vs. Western Michigan *
    Week 10: vs. Northern Illinois *
    Week 11: Bye
    Week 12: vs. Akron *
    Week 13: @ Central Michigan *
    Week 14: @ Ohio *

* denotes MAC Conference Game

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Oh yeah, there used to be a college football game. More teams = more interesting, probably, and the turnover probably makes it a greater challenge. Sadly the college I attended isn't in the game apparently despite producing a few notable pros. That said, I've actually been to a college game, unlike any professional sport too. The vendors had alligator jerky for a dollar.

7. ISO #7
    Surprised Tajae Sharpe is rated that low, given he's an actual NFL player now.

Looking forward to this!

8. ISO #8
    out of touch, out of time Ampharos's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    Community
    Smogon | Serenes Forest | EIMM
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    i was thinking of tracking down one of my old NCAA games and doing some cfb

good on ya
    DM Ampharos#1651 on Discord with any suggestions/comments/complaints/unwarranted compliments
    [6:42 AM] Makaze: people unironically liking amy's themes is tilting

9. ISO #9
    Community
    Preseason

Recruiting:

Recruiting for the Mineutemen this season is mostly seeing if we can find any gems and future pieces to the core within a myriad of 3 and 2 star recruits. There are 3 recruits I'm going to choose to highlight for this early look at our board. Leading the charge for our board is a run stopping DT David Fagan out of Clarkville, Tennessee. We lead off top on his list and will have to fend off schools like Texas Tech and Duke to get him but I am hopeful to get him across the line after some scouting. Our next big target is OLB Tim Wilson out of Pell City, Alabama. The kid is just an athlete. B rated speed strength and acceleration to go along with C rated takling. We will have to climb back against fellow MAC school Western Michigan, Hawaii and Colorado State to get him but he has talent potential that I would like to have on this team. The third big fish for our board is DE Caleb Scott out of Milton, Delaware. Solid Power Move and Block shed along with pursuit can help fill in the hole left by Stanley Andre and Kevin Byrne for next season. Currently lead his list and have to fend off two other mid-majors to get him.

Redshirts:

QB AJ Doyle SO
    WR Shaquille Harris FR
    RT Richard Queen FR
    LE Peter Angeh FR
    CB D'metrius Williams SO
    FS Arthur Williams FR

Mostly Redshirting guys who most likely won't see the field barring insane levels of injuries.

Next up: Regular Season begins facing some power programs
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 25th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

10. ISO #10
    Community
    Surprised Tajae Sharpe is rated that low, given he's an actual NFL player now.

Looking forward to this!
    I was a little surprised too but Sharpe didn't really come into his own until his junior year.

Fun fact the TE Blanchflower was also a NFL player. Drafted in the 6th round by the Steelers.

Also there is a bunch of NFL talent in my first few matchups. Wisconsin having the RB tandem of James White and Melvin Gordon, Kansas State with WR Tyler Locket, Vanderbelt with WR Jordan Matthews.

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Are real players at schools not in the game simulated as possible transfers? Before we get too far into the game that is.

12. ISO #12
    Community
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#11)
    Are real players at schools not in the game simulated as possible transfers? Before we get too far into the game that is.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't no.

13. ISO #13
    Community
    Week 1: Madness in Madison

UMass (0-0) @ #24 Wisconsin (0-0) Camp Randell Stadium Madison, Wisconsin

A battle of two coaches leading their respective programs for the first time sees Gary Anderson and the #24 Wisconsin Badgers hosting Terrence Battle and the UMass Minutemen. Many expect Battle and his team to come in here and take their beating, collect the school pay check and head home. Coach Battle had other plans though. "I want to see the boys go out and compete. I challenged them before we left Amherst. We are coming in here looking to shock the world." Of course, the Badgers have talent all across the field. Their running back duo of James White and Melvin Gordan considered to be the best tandem in all of college football, a potential pro WR in Jared Aberderris, and a defense that you would come to expect from a Big Ten school. The excitement is palpable as we prepare for kickoff, UMass has won the toss and has deferred to the second half.

First Quarter: Wisconsin starts out how you would expect, strong running and short passes that lead to a solid drive up the field. The Minutemen however stand firm on 3 and 5, with Tom Brandt stopping Melvin Gordan short of the line to gain and forcing Wisconsin into a field goal. Kyle French burries the 45 yard kick to give the Badgers the 3-0 lead early. UMass' first offensive possession doesn't go off as hot. A 1 yard loss for Jordan Broadnax, a 5 yard screen play, and a drop from Tajae Sharpe was all the Mintuemen could muster and were forced to punt the ball away. Wisconsin then drives down the field once again, this time finding the endzone. A 4 yard run from James White gives the Badgers a 10-0 lead in the first quarter. Just when it looked like UMass was once again going to struggle to get out of the gates a 48 yard screen play to Jordan Broadnax gives the Minutemen some life. Converting another first down on a 17 yard pass to Tajae Sharpe, UMass would then find paydirt on a 1 yard toss to Broadnax giving the Minutemen their first score and a 10-7 deficit to end the quarter.

Second Quarter: The second quarter does not get out as hot as the first. Both teams exchange 3 and outs on their first possessions of the quarter as Wisconsin's run game managed to get stuffed on two occasions and UMass receivers have a case of the butterfingers and fail to catch the football. After a second Wisconsin punt the Minutemen begin to drive once again. The offense picks up 2 first downs and are deep in Badger territory, but falter as once again receivers are dropping footballs. They settle for a 32 yard Blake Lucas field goal to tie the game up 10-10. Wisconsin then takes advantage. Solid run plays and quick strikes to TE Jacob Pederson gave Wisconsin the chance to take the lead back. Finishing it off, with a Jordan Fredrick 15 yard TD catch from QB Joel Stave with 32 seconds remaining to give Wisconsin the 17-10 lead going into half... or so they thought. Some coaches in this spot would run the clock down and go into half knowing they would get the ball back in the second half. Terrence Battle is not one of these coaches. Trusting the ball in the hands of his QB Mike Wegzyn as the Minutemen come out throwing. A 20 yard pass near the sideline to Bernard Davis, a timely pass interference call on Wisconsin LB Chris Boland, a pass again to Davis, and a fade route to TE Rob Blanchflower for a TD results in the Minutemen having a 17-17 tied game against the #24 team in the country going into half. The UMass team has not only optimism but confidence heading into the locker room.

Third Quarter: The Minutemen offense comes out inspired after scoring on Wisconsin to end the half. Some solid running from Broadnax, Lorenzo Woodley and even an endaround to DJ Woods allowed UMass to drive down the field. The opening drive of the half was capped off with Wegzyn keeping the ball on an option to score a 9 yard TD and give UMass a 24-17 lead. Normally how this script would go is Wisconsin immediately retakes the advantage because they are in theory the better football team with better players. Joel Stave and Khary Bailey-Smith did not get this memo. KBS jumps a screen pass to perfection and takes it back for 45 yard score to give UMass a 31-17 lead, leaving the faithful in Madison stunned. This stunned silence begins to turn into worry when Stave on the very next play throws another interception, this time to Ed Saint Vil. UMass takes advantage and on a QB scramble from Wegzyn where no one was covering the left side, scampers in for a 17 yard score and a 38-17 lead. Wisconsin, needing to score to stay in it, begins to drive down the field and even gets into the red zone. This until a 2nd and 5 where Joel Stave under pressure throws his 3rd interception of the afternoon, this time to "Air Martha's Vineyard" Randel Jette, cleared for take off (that's a jet joke) as he dives in front of the pass to come up with the interception. UMass then proceeds to go three and out and punt the ball away to end a dream quarter for the Minutemen.

Fourth Quarter: Wisconsin doesn't take long to score again. The Badgers drive down the field on passes to both Abberderis and Pederson and cap it off with a 10 yard run from James White to cut the deficit down to 14. UMass begins to go concervative to burn some clock down but are forced to punt the ball back away. Wisconsin, now in depression hyper drive, get down the field with some solid passing from Stave and it results in an 18 yard TD pass to Jordan Fredrick again. Making it UMass 38 Wisconsin 31. The Minutemen get the ball back at their own 25 with 2:42 left to go but the goal here is clear, get the first down, force Wisconsin to use timeouts, bleed the clock dry. It's 3rd down and 8 ball at their own 27, Wegzyn steps back looking to throw, he winds up, aims the pass towards a well covered Rob Blanchflower… who goes up and makes a fantastic grab for a gain of 23 and a huge UMass first down. UMass then hands the ball to Broadnax who proceeds to get 2 first downs and UMass runs out the clock to give the Minutemen an unlikely victory over a nationally ranked opponent.

FINAL SCORE UMass 38 #24 Wisconsin 31

Quarterbacks
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 19/35 290 yards 3 Total TDs 5 carries 28 yards
    Wisconsin: Joel Stave 26/36 326 yards 2 TDs 3 INT

Running Backs
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 21 carries 90 yards 1 TD 4 catches 75 yards. Lorenzo Woodley 2 carries 8 yards.
    Wisconsin: James White 24 carries 108 yards 2 TDs 4 catches 27 yards. Melvin Gordan 3 carries 3 yards 2 catches 0 yards Derrick Watt (FB) 0 carries 1 catch 2 yards

WRs/TEs
    UMass: Tajae Sharpe 5 catches 79 yards. Rob Blanchflower 4 catches 57 yards 1 TD. Bernard Davis 4 catches 46 yards. Elgin Long 2 catches 33 yards. DJ Woods 0 catches 2 rushes 18 yards
    Wisconsin: Jacob Pedersen 7 catches 101 yards. Jordan Fredrick 5 catches 74 yards 2 TDs. Jared Abbrederis 4 catches 72 yards. Reggie Love 2 catches 37 yards. Brian Wozniak 1 catch 13 yards

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Ed Saint Vil 8 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT. Jovan Santos-Knox 7 tackles 1 TFL. Randel Jette 6 tackles 1 INT. Khary Bailey-Smith 5 tackles 2 TFL 1 INT 1 TD
    Wisconsin: Michael Trotter 7 tackles 2 deflections. Vince Biegel 4 tackles 1 sack 1 TFL. Ethan Armstrong 6 tackles. Dezmen Southward 4 tackles 1 TFL.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 1/1 FG 5/5 XP
    Wisconsin: Kyle French 1/1 FG 4/4 XP

Team Stats
    UMass: 20 First Downs 434 yards total offense 8-13 Third Down Conversion 5/5 Red Zone Conversion 0 Turnovers
    Wisconsin: 23 First Downs 437 yards total offense 7-11 Third Down Conversion 4/5 Red Zone Conversion 3 Turnovers

Next Update: Continue the non-conference slate vs.FCS Opposition and @Kansas State
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 25th, 2019 at 07:56 PM.

14. ISO #14
    Community
    Also Wegzyn and Ed Saint Vil both received MAC player of the week honors for their performances.

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Pretty amazing, shows the power of getting a lead and holding it. Let's hope it's not a one hit wonder.

16. ISO #16
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Somewhere, the ghosts of the 2007 Appalachian State football team are smiling down on this UMass squad.

Good start, looking forward to more!
    Lenny - Today at 10:08 AM
    Atpg sometimes the paragraphs you write are pretty good

Looking to waste an afternoon? Vamos Cartagena - Football Manager 2018 AAR (complete!)

17. ISO #17
    Community
    Week 2-3Knowing what we are. Dreaming what we could be

Week 2 Maine (FCS East) @ UMass (1-0) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

This was a game of two halves. In the first half the UMass offense came out sluggish and only mustered 14 points in the half, 7 of which came with 17 seconds remaining in the half and not helped by Mike Wegzyn throwing 2 picks in the second quarter, but the defense was stout. Holding the FCS side to just 3 points and 81 yards of total offense. On the flip side in the second half, the offense was buzzing. Jordan Broadnax having a career day, finishing with 182 yards on 33 carries and 3 TDs which included a 55 yard house call to end the game. Bernard Davis and Tajae Sharpe both having solid performances and only having a combined 1 drop in the contest (compared to the combined 7 against Wisconsin). The defense however showed one tiny flaw, stopping the run. Maine proceed to get 2 scores by running the ball down the field and showing off UMass' mistakes in the tackling department. Despite this however UMass would cruise to a nice and simple victory over it's FCS opposition and giving the home fans something to go home happy about.

Final Score: UMass 41 Maine 17

QBs
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 24/34 265 yards 1 TD 2 INTs 2 carries 0 yards

RBs
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 33 carries 182 yards 3 TDs 2 catches for 11 yards (MAC Player of the Week). Lorenzo Woodley 1 carry 0 yards.

WRs/TEs
    UMass: Bernard Davis 7 catches 77 yards. Tajae Sharpe 6 catches 70 yards 1 TD. Rob Blanchflower 5 catches 56 yards. DJ Woods 3 catches 38 yards. Elgin Long 1 catch 12 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Ed Saint Vil 7 tackles. Jovan Santos-Knox 6 tackles 1 TFL 1 FF. Tom Brandt 4 tackles 2 TFL 1 sack. Kevin Byrne 4 tackles 2 TFL 1 sack. Justin Anderson 2 TFL 2 sacks.

Kicking:
    UMass: Blake Lucas 2/2 FG 5/5 XP

Week 3 UMass (2-0) @ Kansas State (1-1) Bill Snyder Family Stadium Manhattan, Kansas

Kansas State entered this one coming off a lose to a different mid major in UL Lafayette so the Minutemen came into the game thinking they had all the chance to get something out of this. What they ended up getting was an ass kicking and getting sent home. The Minutemen were undone by constant mistakes on all sides of the ball. Inability to stop a mobile QB, getting torched by Tyler Locket and Curry Sexton, Turnovers, shortened starting field position, a lack of a run game. You name it UMass was probably struggling with it. Trailing 38-13 at half doesn't exactly get the boys buzzing to go back out there. The only bright spots I can think of from this game was Wegzyn looked not terrible aside from when he was throwing interceptions or hitting Rob Blanchflower in the hands only for him to drop it (to the tune of 5 drops), DJ Woods reviled himself to be an option in the passing attack with 7 catches, Khary Bailey-Smith showed some run stopping ability, Trey Dudley-Giles was alright covering Locket (bar one play towards the end of the second quarter where you can see the burns from where he got torched), the defense got some goalline stops when the game was all but over, and Lorenzo Woodley got his first career TD. Other than that it was what you would expect from a team taking advantage of a cupcake who can't get out of their own way. Just got to take the lumps and look onward to a brighter tomorrow (or something)

Final Score Kansas State 47 UMass 20

QBs
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 27/42 282 1 TD 3 INTs
    Kansas State: Koby Cook 17/29 245 yards 9 carries 73 yards 4 total TDs

RBs
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 20 carries 64 yards 1 TD 2 catches 15 yards. Lorenzo Woodley 1 carry 4 yards 1 TD.
    Kansas State: John Hubert 18 carries 97 yards 1 TD 3 catches 30 yards. Zack Nemechek (FB) 1 carry 10 yards 1 catch 13 yards. Demarcus Robinson 0 carries 2 catches 3 yards.

WRs/TEs
    UMass: DJ Woods 7 catches 59 yards 1 carry 1 yard. Tajae Sharpe 6 catches 71 yards. Elgin Long 4 catches 35 yards 1 TD. Bernard Davis 4 catches 45 yards. Rob Blanchflower 4 catches 57 yards.
    Kansas State: Tyler Locket 4 catches 103 yards 2 TDs. Traemae Thompson 3 catches 18 yards 1 TD. Curry Sexton 3 catches 60 yards. Andre McDonald 1 catch 18 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Jaurice Jones 7 tackles. Khary Bailey-Smith 7 tackles 2 TFL 1 deflection. Randell Jette 4 tackles 2 TFL. Justin Anderson 3 tackles 2 TFL.
    Kansas State: Cameron Morgan 11 tackles 1 INT. Trae Walker 7 tackles 3 TFL 2 sacks 1 FF. Ty Zimmerman 2 tackles 1 INT. Jon Bonugli 3 tackles 1 INT.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 2/2 XP
    Kansas State: Jack Cantele 4/4 FG 5/5 XP

Next Update: home against SEC Vanderbelt and then a bye week
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 27th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

18. ISO #18
    Community
    The Minutemen offered several players scholarships this week before the matchup against Kansas State. These include:

Tim Wilson OLB Pell City, AL: Kid is an athlete. 81 speed 80 acceleration and strength with 75 tackling. Still trail Western Michigan by a good bit on his board but the chance needs to be taken to get this kind of talent.

David Hawkins OT Newport, NH: 6'4" 306 pound New England product who has both good blocking stats but also good athletic stats. will be battling UConn BC and potentially Kentucky for his services.

Travis Sisk DE Menasha, WI: Run stuffing defensive end with good tackling and block sheding stats

Jason Smith DE Windsor, Canada: With a bunch of suiters from northeast schools, has a 76 power move, 75 finesse move, 75 block shed and 71 tackle with 70 speed and 75 acceleration all in a 6'3" 249 pound frame. Sign me up.

Charlie Davis FS Barrie, Canada: Another Canadian. Has good speed, great pursuit, and hits like a train. Also has 75 block shed. Good blitzing safety.

Will Carter SS Long Branch, NJ: Currently in a dead heat with Rutgers for his service. A good run stopping safety. Would hope the zone coverage improves.

David Fagen DT Clarkville, TN: Not exactly what I was hoping to get from this recruit when I highlighted him preseason but his stats are still decent enough to be worth giving a scholarship.

Doug Webster SS West Norriton, PA: Good athlete with a good tackling stat. Needs to improve the zone coverage much like Carter.

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Unless Maine is exceptionally bad (to be fair, I guess they're not really giants), I think you might be underselling that win. It's a good score line, and 14-3 first half isn't straight up terrible either. Second game tough to take though, but at least 20 points is still somewhat respectable.

20. ISO #20
    Community
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#19)
    Unless Maine is exceptionally bad (to be fair, I guess they're not really giants), I think you might be underselling that win. It's a good score line, and 14-3 first half isn't straight up terrible either. Second game tough to take though, but at least 20 points is still somewhat respectable.
    I’m underselling it a little because an FBS school should be beating an FCS school by a comfortable margin most of the time (Also Noted the only reason I put the school down as Maine is because I had the previous knowledge of knowing it was Maine on the schedule. Maine isn’t actually in the game and it is instead replaced with a generaic “FCS East” team) but yeah it was a good win and a good score line to do it with I just wish I was more consistent in all aspects of the game. That’s just the detail-oriented side of me projecting though.

Clearly we are doing some things right even despite taking the blowout. Christ Wegzyn is second in the nation in passing yards only behind Fresno State QB (and current NFL QB) Derek Carr. There is something working here we just need to make sure we tap into it during the games that truely make or break our season.
    Last edited by DaveDob; September 27th, 2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Messed up stat

21. ISO #21
    Community
    Week 4-5 Broken Fences and Building Blocks

Week 4 Vanderbilt (1-2) @ UMass (2-1) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

Let's not beat around the bush, the scoreline does represent just how lopsided this game was. SEC outfit Vanderbilt had control of this game from the jump. UMass was getting ragdolled on the defensive side of the ball and the Minutemen just could not keep up with the Commodores. QB Austyn Carter-Samuel and RB Wesley Tate. Both having really strong games and was ripping through the UMass D all afternoon. The Offense did show some bright spots and life but in the end it wasn't enough to keep with the Vandy onslaught. Mike Wegzyn did have a really good game to the tune of 398 yards and a TD. These things happen. Just have to tighten up for MAC play.

Final Score Vanderbilt 45 UMass 26

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 33/59 398 yards 1 TD 2 carries -3 yards.
    Vanderbilt: Austyn Carter-Samuel 25/33 297 yards 11 carries 64 yards 4 total TDs.

RBs
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 10 carries 8 yards 1 TD 4 catches 25 yards.
    Vanderbilt: Wesley Tate 16 carries 102 yards 9 catches 92 yards 3 total TDs. Fitz Lassing (FB) 4 carries 5 yards. Jerome Seymour 4 carries 11 yards 2 catches 39 yards.

WRs/TEs
    UMass: DJ Woods 7 catches 90 yards. Tajae Sharpe 6 catches 54 yards. Elgin Long 5 catches 78 yards. Rob Blanchflower 5 catches 85 yards. Bernard Davis 4 catches 41 yards. Derek Beck 1 catch 11 yards. Sharif Curtis 1 catch 14 yards.
    Vanderbilt: Jordan Matthew 6 catches 82 yards. Josh Grady 3 catches 18 yards. Chris Boyd 2 catches 15 yards. Jonathan Krause 2 catches 39 yards. Kyle Kentera 1 catch 12 yards 1 TD.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Tom Brandt 8 tackles 1 TFL 1 deflection. Trey Dudley-Giles 7 tackles. Justin Anderson 3 tackles 2 TFL 1 sacks.
    Vanderbilt: Chase Garnham 7 tackles. Vince Taylor 3 tackles 2 TFL 1 sacks.

Kicking:
    UMass: Blake Lucas 2/2 FG 2/2 XP
    Vanderbilt: Carey Spears 1/1 FG 6/6 XP

Week 5 Bye Week
    Recruiting News:

Scheduled Visits:
    SS Will Carter Week 10 vs. NIU
    OT David Hawkins Week 12 vs. Akron
    OLB Tim Wilson Week 10 vs. NIU
    OLB Anthony McCray Week 10 vs. NIU
    DT Jerome Bailey Week 12 vs. Akron
    OG Corey Cox Week 12 vs. Akron

New Scholarship Offers
    DT Gabe McDonald Germantown MD
    DT Randy Wade Adelphi MD
    DE Kevin Evans Johnson City NY
    DE Kenneth Mason Plantation FL
    DE Caleb Scott Milton DE
    DE Lee McClellan Apopka FL
    DE Jesse Carroll Santa Cruz CA
    DT Lorenzo Davis Westover WV
    WR Drew Williams Paramus NJ
    C Troy Brown Natick MA
    OLB Anthony McCray Carencro LA
    CB George Gibson Elizabeth NJ
    OLB Curtis Daniel Lauderdale Lakes FL
    WR Reggie Pollock Deer Park NY

Next Update: MACtion begins @Bowling Green and vs. Miami(OH)
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 2nd, 2019 at 01:40 PM.

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    I had to wipe my monitor to make sure that really was was a -3 and not just a smudge in front of a 3 for that stat.

23. ISO #23
    >beat wisconsin
    >get smoked by vanderbilt and kansas state

UMass is the kind of rollercoaster team I can get behind.

24. ISO #24
    Community
    >beat wisconsin
    >get smoked by vanderbilt and kansas state

UMass is the kind of rollercoaster team I can get behind.
    It gets even better when you learn Wisconsin beat Ohio State in Ohio during week 5.

UMass > Ohio State

25. ISO #25
    Community
    Week 6-7 MACtion is wild

Week 6 UMass (2-2 0-0 MAC) @ Bowling Green (2-3 1-1 MAC) Doyt L. Perry Stadium Bowling Green, OH

This is what MAC Football delivers. $#@!ty weather, insane levels of offense, turnovers, tension the whole time in front of 10s of people somewhere in Ohio. The only thing that could have possibly made this more MAC is if it was in the middle of the week. This game had it all. The big focus in the game was Mike Wegzyn. In the rain Wegzyn did quite literally everything good or bad that had to do in the football game. School record 513 passing yards, 3 TD passes, 40 completions on 63 PASSES, 4 picks 2 of which feels like changed the momentum of the game. It was wild. The game itself was just a hodgepodge of stuff happening. 8 combined turnovers, 65 combined points, 923 total yards of offense. If you were a neutral it was fun to watch but in the end Bowling Green will pick up the close win despite UMass giving them a scare at the end.

Bowling Green 35 UMass 30

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 40/63 513 yards 3 TDs 4 INTs
    Bowling Green: Matt Schilz 21/34 201 yards 13 carries 107 yards 2 total TDs 1 INT.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 17 carries 69 yards 4 catches 54 yards 2 Total TDs. Lorenzo Woodley 3 carries 2 yards 2 catches 23 yards.
    Bowling Green: Anthon Samuel 9 carries 41 yards 2 TDs 2 catches 20 yards. Tyler Beck(FB) 3 carries 6 yards 1 TD 1 catch 0 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: DJ Woods 9 catches 85 yards 1 TD. Tajae Sharpe 9 catches 113 yards 1 TD. Rob Blanchflower 6 catches 111 yards. Bernard Davis 5 catches 67 yards. Elgin Long 2 catches 34 yards. Derek Beck 2 catches 15 yards. EJ Burston 1 catch 12 yards.
    Bowling Green: Shaun Joplin 4 catches 60 yards. Ryan Burbrink 3 catches 21 yards. Chris Gallon 3 catches 32 yards. Jared Cohen 3 catches 9 yards. Clay Rolf 2 catches 19 yards 1 TD. Teo Redding 1 catch 15 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Jovan Santos-Knox 6 tackles 1 TFL. Randall Jette 5 tackles 2 INTs Jaurice Jones 6 tackles 1 deflection. Kevin Byrne 4 tackles 2 TFL 1 sack.
    Bowling Green: DJ Lynch 9 tackles 2 TFL 1 sack 2 INTs 1 deflection (NCAA Defensive Player of the Week) Darrell Hunter 7 tackles 1 INT Devon McKoy 5 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT. Booboo Gates 9 tackles.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 1/1 FG 3/3 XP.
    Bowling Green: Tate 5/5 XP.

Week 7: Miami(OH) (2-3 1-0 MAC) @ UMass (2-3 0-1 MAC) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

It was a Blackout on this Saturday in Amherst... well okay it was blackout day for a different reasons this time. Minutemen came out in their all black unis for this home conference opener against Miami(OH). And today the defense was lights out. Great performance on that side of the ball today. 9 points allowed, only 3 allowed in the first half, 3 interceptions, 4 sacks, 12 TFLs. The D showed up in a big way today and made the Redhawks day a nightmare. The offense was a little pedestrian today but that was do to more conservative pass calls to reduce Wegzyn based mistakes, the run game being kinda suspect until they had to run some clock out (Broadnax in particular really couldn't do much running or receiving until later in the contest) and Sharpe being a little more drop happy this game. But the team reduced the mistakes and give aways on offense and the defense made the plays they need to. Giving UMass their first MAC Confrence victory of the season.

Final Score: UMass 21 Miami (OH) 9

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 28/42 260 yards 2 TDs 1 INT.
    Miami: Austin Boucher 23/33 315 yards 3 INTs.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 18 carries 70 yards 1 TD 3 catches 5 yards. Lorenzo Woodley 2 carries 17 yards 2 catches 16 yards. Matt Carini (FB) 1 carry 1 yard.
    Miami: Jamire Westbrook 18 carries 46 yards 1 TD 2 catches 8 yards. Andrew Gudeman (FB) 1 carry 7 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blanchflower 7 catches 86 yards 1 TD. DJ Woods 6 catches 52 yards. Bernard Davis 4 catches 54 yards. Elgin Long 3 catches 18 yards 1 TD. Tajae Sharpe 3 catches 29 yards.
    Miami: Steve Marck 7 catches 57 yards. Dawan Scott 5 catches 149 yards. Sam Shisso 5 catches 54 yards. Willie Culpepper 2 catches 26 yards. Dustin White 1 catch 11 yards. David Frazier 1 catch 10 yards.

Defensive Standouts:
    UMass: Kevin Byrne 8 tackles 5 TFL 1 sack. Jaurice Jones 8 tackles 1 INT 1 deflection. Galen Clemons 4 tackles 3 TFL 1 sack. Ed Saint Vil 3 tackles 1 INT. Antoine Tharpe 1 tackle 1 INT.
    Miami: Josh Dooley 13 tackles. Brison Burris 10 tackles 1 TFL 2 deflections. Chrishawn Dupay 6 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT.

Kicker:
    UMass: Blake Lucas 3/3 XP.
    Miami: Mason Krysinski 1/1 FG.

Recruit Report:

Tons of visits scheduled. Two recruits committed elsewhere before the game against Miami. OG Corey Cox out of New Milford NJ committed to Old Dominion, stings a little because I was hoping to bolster the line but we weren't beating ODU for him. Second one was DT Jerome Bailey out of Maple Heights OH heading to Nevada, weren't really pursuing him at all and just let him go. Following the game another group of players decided to sign elsewhere. Namely two of the better players I was trying to recruit. OLB Tim Wilson decided to sign with Western Michigan along with another OLB in Anthony McCray. OT David Hawkins also decided to sign else where going to in region UConn. Shame about Hawkins considering we were right there with the Huskies but just couldn't get him over the line. Shame about the other two as well being in our conference but such is life. We added a JUCO transfer from Biddeford ME to our board. CB Brad McLaughlin. Looks to have pretty good coverage stats and has good speed.

Next Update: @Buffalo and the Midseason Report
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 4th, 2019 at 08:05 PM.

26. ISO #26
    Community
    Week 8: Circling the Wagons

Week 8: UMass (3-3 1-1 MAC) @ Buffalo (3-3 0-2 MAC) UB Stadium Buffalo, NY

Let me start off by saying Buffalo has tons of talent on it's team and was a little surprised at the fact they were 0-2 in conference play. They have a really good running back in Brandon Oliver (a name some fantasy football people might be mildly aware of) and have a strong defense lead by Khalil Mack (a name that if you know anything about football right now you definitely have heard of). The first half was very strong for UMass, more specifically the passing game was very strong. Wegzyn was slinging it all over the field and threw for 3 TDs in the first half to Jordan Broadnax, Rob Blanchflower and Tajae Sharpe. The defense bent but didn't break as they forced the Bulls into 2 FGs and the Minutemen went into the locker room with a 21-6 lead at half. Things would not stay this way in the second half. UB was able to string 22 unanswered points in the third and midway through the fourth quarter helped by two Wegzyn picks (one of which was his fault, the other was just well jumped by the safety) and the Minutemen fell behind. Even as UMass tied it up the Minutemen just didn't have any answers for backup QB Joe Licata (who was preforming much better imo than their starter Alex Zordich) and Brandon Oliver as the Bulls took a 35-28 lead on UMass with 21 seconds to go. Things looked grim... until they didn't. On the following kickoff Greg Orekoya took the kick all the way down to the Buffalo 30 yard line giving UMass a chance to tie the game with 15 seconds remaining. After a quick 19 yard pass to Bernard Davis that he went out of bounds the Minutemen had the ball in the redzone. After a pass to Blanchflower goes no where and doesn't go out of bounds UMass is forced to use their final timeout. Only one chance to get the play right with 4 seconds remaining Wegzyn lofted a ball up to the back of the endzone to an open Elgin Long who had been having a stellar game as time expires. Blake Lucas nails the extra point despite attempts to ice the kicker from Buffalo to force Overtime in Upstate New York. The Minutemen won the overtime toss and chose to defend first. UB didn't really get much going thanks to huge plays from the Minutemen Defense. A deflection from Kessan Messiah, a 5 yard run from Licata and finally a sack by dime corner Antoine Tharpe forced the Bulls to take a FG and a 3 point lead. A TD for UMass would win it. And win it they did. Wegzyn completes of what was a great day for him with a TD pass on a 5 yard slant route to Tajae Sharpe giving the Minutemen a great victory and puts them just 2 wins away from bowl eligibility.

Final Score(OT) UMass 41 Buffalo 38

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 39/47 428 yards 6 TDs 2 INTs 2 carries -3 yards.
    Buffalo: Joe Licata 13/18 171 yards 2 TDs 5 carries 1 yard. Alex Zordich 4/8 69 yards 18 carries 53 yards.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 14 carries 40 yards 7 catches 56 yards 2 TDs.
    Buffalo: Brandon Oliver 20 carries 147 yards 2 TDs 5 catches 48 yards. Brandon Murie 1 catch 15 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: Tajae Sharpe 7 catches 58 yards 2 TDs. Rob Blanchflower 7 catches 85 yards 1 TD. Elgin Long 7 catches 80 yards 1 TD. Bernard Davis 6 catches 100 yards. DJ Woods 5 catches 49 yards.
    Buffalo: Fred Lee 4 catches 50 yards 1 TD. Devon Hughes 3 catches 69 yards 1 carry 9 yards. Alex Nuetz 3 catches 43 yards. Rudy Johnson 1 catch 15 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Ed Saint Vil 8 tackles. Antoine Tharpe 8 tackles 2 TFL 2 sacks. Tom Brandt 6 tackles 1 TFL. Trey Dudley-Giles 6 tackles 1 TFL.
    Buffalo: Lee Skinner 10 tackles 1 INT 2 deflections. Kendall Robertson 9 tackles 2 TFL. Okoye Houston 4 tackles 1 INT. Khalil Mack 2 tackles.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 5/5 XP.
    Buffalo: Patrick Clark 3/3 FG 3/3 XP.

Injury Report:
    UMass: DJ Woods out 1 week with back spasms
    Buffalo Alex Zorich out for season Broken Collarbone

Next Update: Two Home games vs. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois

27. ISO #27
    Community
    Recruiting Update

Signed Players
    DT David Fagan signs with UNLV
    DE Travis Sisk signs with Eastern Michigan
    SS Will Carter signs with UMass
    FS Charles Davis signs with Washington State
    OLB Curtis Daniel signs with Army

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Narrow win, but a win. What happened to let them come back like that though?

29. ISO #29
    Community

Top 25
    1. West Virginia (7-0)
    2. Nebraska (6-0)
    3. Washington (7-0)
    4. Ohio State (6-1)
    5. Oregon (6-1)
    6. North Carolina (5-1)
    7. Texas (5-1)
    8. Florida (5-2)
    9. Miami (5-1)
    10. Alabama (5-2)
    11. Mississippi State (5-1)
    12. Michigan (5-2)
    13. Notre Dame (5-2)
    14. Wisconsin (6-1) (LOL)
    15. Texas A&M (5-2)
    16. LSU (6-2)
    17. Clemson (5-2)
    18. Virginia Tech (6-1)
    19. Boise State (6-1)
    20. Oklahoma State (3-3) (?)
    21. Auburn (5-2)
    22. Florida State (5-1)
    23. Missouri (6-1)
    24. Louisville (6-1)
    25. Western Kentucky (7-0)

Other Receiving Votes: Penn State, Kansas State, USC, Georgia, Syracuse, Cincinnati, South Carolina, UL Lafayette, Georgia Tech

Heisman Race
    Taylor Martinez QB Nebraska
    Braxton Miller QB Ohio State
    James White RB Wisconsin
    James Franklin QB Missouri
    Devin Gardener QB Michigan

30. ISO #30
    Community
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#28)
    Two interceptions denying us scores and the defense started folding. Something we are going to need to fix clearly but in the end the boys got it done.

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Two interceptions denying us scores and the defense started folding. Something we are going to need to fix clearly but in the end the boys got it done.
    I guess what I meant is there some kind of morale system that makes errors more likely in some circumstances (overconfidence, etc) or is it just bad luck?

32. ISO #32
    Community
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeP47 (#31)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDob (#30)
    I guess what I meant is there some kind of morale system that makes errors more likely in some circumstances (overconfidence, etc) or is it just bad luck?
    I mean their is a stamina system so the idea of the D getting tired isn't lost on me. But one of the interceptions was just on a bad throw, and the other was on just a great play by the Buffalo safety (reads: I made a bad read on both of them). They weren't necessarily morale mistakes even if a system like that was in place.
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 7th, 2019 at 02:36 PM.

33. ISO #33
    Community
    Also just a quick rundown of the team stats on the season so far
    Points Per Game: 31.0 (#20 in the nation)
    Total Offense: 426.6 (#11)
    Rush Offense: 78.6 (#126)
    Pass Offense: 348.0 (#1)
    Total Defense: 392.0 (#107)
    Rush Defense: 140.6 (#31)
    Pass Defense: 251.4 (#121)
    Turnover Diff: -4 (#108)

34. ISO #34
    Community
    Week 9-10 Home Cooking

Week 9: Western Michigan (1-7 1-3 MAC) @ UMass (4-3 2-1 MAC) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

It wasn't a pretty game but the Minutemen move one step closer to reaching the first bowl game in school history with a victory over struggling Western Michigan. It was more or less a game where both offenses were struggling to get out of their own way at times so whoever could reduce shooting themselves in the foot the most would come out the winner. UMass gameplan after the first drive felt like it read "Feed Broadnax, save Wegzyn from himself" as the Minutemen proceed to go into Miami(OH) mode and just played the game safe to reduce the mistakes while the defense made big plays to keep the Minutemen in front. A simple and clean gameplan that ended up in a W.

Final Score UMass 24 Western Michigan 19

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 25/40 231 yards 2 TDs 1 INT 4 carries 26 yards.
    Western Michigan: Tyler Van Tubbergen 21/34 260 1 TD 2 INTs 6 carries -4 yards.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 18 carries 67 yards 1 TD 8 catches 36 yards. Lorenzo Woodley 1 catch 3 yards.
    Western Michigan: Brian Fields 10 carries 51 yards. Dareyon Chance 8 carries 26 yards 1 TD 1 catch 4 yards. Tevin Drake 3 carries 11 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blanchflower 4 catches 49 yards 1 TD. Tajae Sharpe 4 catches 52 yards. DJ Woods 3 catches 41 yards 1 carry 9 yards. Bernard Davis 3 catches 26 yards. Elgin Long 2 catches 24 yards 1 TD.
    Western Michigan: Clark Mussman 9 catches 144 yards 1 TD. Daniel Braverman 8 catches 88 yards. Eric Boyden 2 catches 18 yards. Justin Collins 1 catch 6 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Tom Brandt 12 tackles 3 TFL 1 sack. Randall Jette 8 tackles 1 TFL 2 INT 1 deflection (MAC Defensive Player of the Week). Stanley Andre 3 tackles 2 TFL 2 sacks.
    Western Michigan: Johnnie Simon 7 tackles. Tronie Williams 7 tackles 2 deflections. Junior Estelus 4 tackles 3 TFL 1 sack. Donald Celiscar 3 tackles 1 INT.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 1/1 FG 3/3 XP.
    Western Michigan: Andrew Haldeman 2/2 FG 1/1XP.

Week 10 Northern Illinois (6-2 4-0 MAC) @ UMass (5-3 3-1 MAC) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

UMass comes into today's game facing arguably (and by that I mean very clearly) the best team in the conference. NIU came into the game #4 in scoring offence, #13 in total offense, and #28 in total defense. The Minutemen would have to be at their best and sharp in this contest if they wanted to come out with a win and claim bowl eligibility with 3 games to go. A battle of two of the best QBs in the nation that no one has heard of between Mike Wegzyn and Jordan Lynch. The excitement in Amherst was palpable. Then Wegzyn threw a pick on the first drive and NIU drove down the field and scored first. From there you truly know this was going to be a tough war for the Minutemen. UMass does keep things interesting and keeps the hype up in the first quarter with a TD pass to Rob Blanchflower as both sides end the first quarter tied at 7s. But NIU proved why they were the top team in the conference. A strong drive that lead to a field goal followed by a strong defensive showing that resulted in a 3 and out had UMass on the back foot. NIU looked like they would score again but the UMass DBs came up big on third and fourth down to keep the Huskies off the board and put the ball back in UMass hands. UMass was driving up the field but another Wegzyn pick ends the drive short. UMass Defense comes up with a stop thought to keep the score 10-7 heading into halftime. The Huskies come out of the half and drive all the way down to the 9 yard line, but good coverage and pressure from the D-Line holds NIU to just a FG. From their NIU took full control. Defensive stop and a long drive resulting in a TD gives NIU a 2 score lead. UMass won't back down though. A strong passing drive that is capped of by a 6 yard pass to Tajae Sharpe reduces the Huskie lead to 6. But that wouldn't last as Jordan Lynch breaks off a long run for TD to increase the lead to 12 after a failed 2 point conversion. UMass now needs to try and score to give themselves a chance at winning but will fail to convert on a 4th and long at the NIU 33. Basically sealing away the game for the Huskies and denying UMass bowl eligibility for at least another game.

Final Score Northern Illinois 26 UMass 14

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 30/59 279 yards 2 TDs 2 INTs.
    Northern Illinois: Jordan Lynch 23/33 226 yards 15 carries 126 yards 2 TDs.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 10 carries 38 yards 6 catches 13 yards.
    Northern Illinois: Akeem Daniels 20 carries 105 yards. Giorgio Bowers 3 carries 3 yards 1 TD.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blanchflower 8 yards 110 yards 1 TD. Tajae Sharpe 5 catches 39 yards 1 TD. Bernard Davis 5 catches 62 yards. DJ Woods 4 catches 48 yards 1 carry 2 yards. Elgin Long 1 catch 10 yards.
    Northern Illinois 7 catches 68 yards. Da'Ron Brown 5 catches 55 yards. Luke Eakes 4 catches 37 yards. Jamison Wells 3 catches 43 yards. Tommylee Lewis 2 catches 3 yards. Angelo Sevastiano 1 catch 7 yards. Malik Mitchell 1 catch 13 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Randall Jette 8 tackles 1 TFL 1 deflection. Jovan Santos-Knox 8 tackles 1 TFL 1 deflection. Khary Bailey-Smith 7 tackles 1 TFL. Kevin Byrne 4 tackles 2 TFL 1 sack.
    Northern Illinois: Michael Santacaterina 8 tackles 2 deflections. Boomer Mays 7 tackles 2 TFL 1 deflection. Marlon Moore 2 tackles 1 INT 1 deflection. Jhony Faustin 2 tackles 1 INT 3 deflections.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 2/2 XP.
    Northern Illinois: Matthew Sims 2/2 FG 2/2 XP.

Recruiting News:
    Player Signings:
    DT Gabe McDonald Signs with UMass
    DE Kevin Evans Signs with UMass
    DE Jason Smith Signs with Boston College
    WR Drew Williams Signs with UMass
    DT Alex Guerrero signs with Boston College

Next Update: A Bye Week followed by Senior Night against Akron
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 9th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    I guess at least NIU was close. Obstinately NIU is sort of a pseudo-rival to the school I went to (not in football terms), so a good showing would have been nice, but if they're that good, I guess what can you do.

(Though who am I kidding, we're not even a doctoral school)

36. ISO #36
    Community

Cornerback Randall Jette is a finalist for both the Bednarik (Best Defensive Player) and Thorpe (Best DB) awards.

37. ISO #37
    Community

Recruiting News
    Players: Signed:
    DE Kenneth Mason Signs with UMass
    DE Jesse Carroll Signs with UMass
    DE Kyle Marshall Signs with Virginia
    CB George Gibson Signs with UMass
    SS Doug Webster Signs with UMass
    DT Lorenzo Davis Signs with UMass
    OG Scott Hall Signs with UMass
    DE Lee McClellan Signs with UMass
    WR Reggie Pollock Signs with UMass
    C Troy Brown Signs with UMass
    CB JUCO Brad McLaughlin Signs with UMass

MLB Kevin Andrews Signs with Boston College
    (Honestly a pretty good recruiting haul this week if I do say so myself)

Week 12 Akron (2-8 1-5 MAC) @ UMass (5-4 3-2 MAC) McGuirk Alumni Stadium Amherst, MA

The Minutemen honor the Seniors on the team as well as fight for bowl eligibility and keeping into the race to make the MAC Championships when they welcome the Akron Zips into Amherst. Things start off well as on the first play from scrimmage the Minutemen get an INT curtesy of Akron QB Nick Hirschman throwing into double coverage and Antoine Tharpe coming up with his second pick of the season. UMass however couldn't take advantage as on 3rd down Wegzyn throws a bad pass in the direction of Blanchflower that gets picked off. Akron looked like they would take advantage by driving down the field but with a 3rd down from the UMass 10, Khary Bailey-Smith comes up with an INT in the endzone to deny Akron the first points of the contest. Wegzyn then takes over throwing precision passes all the way down the field, capped off with a 1 yard run for Jordan Broadnax to give the Minutemen the first lead of the game. Akron shows strong running again on the next drive but the defense comes up big stopping 3 pass plays and coming up with a sack on 4th down to get the ball back. UMass takes the ball and drives it all the way down for another score on another run from Jordan Broadnax. Putting UMass up 14. The Minutemen defense stops Akron once again and drives the ball down the field leading to Broadnax third TD run in the first half. Putting UMass up 21-0 with about a minute before halftime. UMass defense holds again on a fourth down in their own territory to keep the three score lead heading into half. The Minutemen come out of the lockerroom with the football but a late throw by Wegzyn results in his second INT of the contest. UMass holds strong though and only allows a FG to make it 21-3. UMass however makes another mistake, with Wegzyn throwing a pick 6 to give Akron life again. Wegzyn however does start to find his mojo again. with a quick strike to Elgin Long, a 23 yard QB keeper, and a strike to Tajae Sharpe UMass finds themselves back in business. Another short run for Broadnax on 4th and goal from the 2 increases the Minutemen lead to 18. Akron however does gain momentum back. A big 38 yard catch from Jerrod Dillard setups up a TD drive for the Zips, scoring on a short pass to TE Will Fleming. After a UMass drive stalls short Akron will get the ball back with a chance to make it a 1 score game. However the UMass defense comes up big again with Juarice Jones getting a huge defelction on 4th and short putting the ball in UMass hands once again with a chance to bleed some clock. UMass will bleed all 4:35 seconds off the clock to ensure the win for UMass and earn bowl eligibility for the first time in school history.

Final Score UMass 28 Akron 17

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 26/37 289 yards 3 INTs 5 carries 23 yards.
    Akron Nick Hurschman 21/34 218 yards 1 TD 2 INT 9 carries 29 yards.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 25 carries 94 yards 4 TDs 4 catches 3 yards. Lorenzo Woodley 1 catch 8 yards.
    Akron: Jawon Chishlm 12 carries 62 yards 1 catch 11 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blachflower 5 catches 64 yards. Tajae Sharp 5 catches 60 yards. Bernard Davis 5 catches 80 yards. Elgin Long 3 catches 49 yards. DJ Woods 1 catch 7 yards 1 carry 4 yards. Sharrif Curtis 1 catch 9 yards. Derek Beck 1 catch 8 yards.
    Akron: Jerrod Dillard 5 catches 52 yards 1 carry 7 yards. Will Fleming 4 catches 37 yards 1 TD. Keith Sconiers 4 catches 43 yards. LT Smith 3 catches 26 yards 1 carry 10 yards. Zach D'Orazio 2 catches 25 yards. Dee Frieson 1 catch 13 yards. Imani Davis 1 catch 11 yards.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Antione Tharpe 6 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT. Jovan Santos-Knox 6 tackles. Stanley Andre 4 tackles 3 TFL 1 sack. Khary Bailey-Smith 1 tackle 1 INT.
    Akron: Se'Von Pittman 12 tackles 4 TFL 2 sacks. Gary Ransom 9 tackles 2 INTs. Justin March 2 tackles 1 INT.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 4/4 XP.
    Akron: Robert Stein 1/1 FG 2/2 XP.

Next Update: Finish up the Regular Season on the road facing Central Michigan and Ohio

38. ISO #38
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    Pretty good! Bowl is hype! I'll be honest though, reading the early description, I was hoping for a bigger blowout, but hey, it was a good scoreline nonetheless.

39. ISO #39
    Community
    Week 13-14: Down to the Wire

Week 13 UMass (6-4 4-2 MAC) @ Central Michigan (5-5 3-3 MAC) Kelly/Shorts Stadium Mount Pleasant, MI

Basically take the Bowling Green recap and put it here. Tons of points from both sides, A bunch of turnovers, Wegzyn doing what Wegzyn does (tons of yards and a bunch of bad interceptions), and UMass coming up just short on the road in the MAC. A bit of a disappointment that the defense, who had been looking better this season, going back to the turnstile they looked like earlier in the season for the first 3 quarters. The Chippiwas come away with the win and bowl eligibility while UMass looks ahead to focusing on the final game of the season in Ohio.

Final Score: Central Michigan 41 UMass 35

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 35/55 397 yards 3 TDs 4 INTs 7 carries 4 yards 1 rushing TD.
    Central Michigan: Coby Kater 19/38 338 yards 4 TDs 2 INTs 11 carries 24 yards.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 13 carries 30 yards 5 catches 16 yards.
    Central Michigan: Zurlon Tipton 14 carries 98 yards 1 catch 3 yards. Tyler Lambardo (FB) 3 carries 10 yards. Anthony Garland 1 carry 1 yard 1 TD 1 catch 11 yards.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blanchflower 8 catches 100 yards 1 TD. Bernard Davis 6 catches 58 yards. Tajae Sharpe 5 catches 58 yards 1 TD. DJ Woods 5 catches 84 yards. Elgin Long 5 catches 62 yards 1 TD. Sharif Curtis 1 catch 19 yards.
    Central Michigan: Jesse Kroll 5 catches 85 yards 1 TD. Courtney Willams 5 catches 143 yards 1 TD. Mark Chapman 3 catches 55 yards 1 tD. Mike Kinville 2 catches 14 yards. Titus Davis 2 catches 27 yards 1 TD.

Defensive Standouts
    UMass: Khary Bailey-Smith 7 tackles 1 TFL. Trey Dudley-Giles 4 tackles 1 INT 2 deflections. Joe Colton 2 tackles 1 INT.
    Central Michigan: Shamari Benton 8 tackles. Jarret Chapman: 6 tackles 1 TFL 2 INTs 2 deflections. Denzel Wimberly 5 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT 1 deflection.

Kicking
    UMass: Blake Lucas 5/5 XP.
    Central Michigan: Ron Coluzzi 2/2 FG 5/5 XP.

Week 14 UMass (6-5 4-3 MAC) @ Ohio (7-4 4-3 MAC) Peden Stadium Athens, OH
    A key battle with the MAC East hanging in the balance with 4 teams tied for the top of the division (Buffalo and Miami (OH) are also tied at the top facing Bowling Green and Ball State respectively) including these two there is a lot at stake entering this final game of the regular season. UMass enters this game hoping to rebound and earn the unlikely MAC Championship bid while Ohio look to earn their MAC Championship bid without their QB Tyler Tettleton. The game starts out electric for UMass, as from the second play from scrimmage DJ Woods busts out a 54 yard reception to put the Minutemen deep in Bobcat territory. However the Minutemen can't take advantage as Wegzyn overthrows Rob Blanchflower and gets picked off in the endzone. The UMass D though comes up big on the first Ohio possession and forced a punt back to the Minutemen. After a 3 and out for the Minutemen, Ohio turns the ball over with a misthrow from back QB Derrius Vick getting picked off from "Air Martha's Vineyard" Randell Jette, giving UMass the football back just outside the redzone. After a quick strike to Rob Blanchflower, the Minutemen find the first score of the game off an 11 yard run to the outside from Jordan Broadnax. Ohio though comes out with strong running from their RB Beau Blankenship and drive deep into UMass territory. The Bobcats close the drive out with a 1 yard scamper in from Derrius Vick to tie it up at 7. UMass has a drive that stalls out around midfield to start the second quarter. The Minutemen D bends but doesn't break and holds Ohio to a FG making it 10-7 Bobcats. The Minutemen offense though can't score again as a drop from Lorenzo Woodley forces UMass to once again punt around midfield. Beau Blankenship then breaks a 83 yard run to the house to put Ohio up two scores 17-7. UMass is hoping to get a score going into the half but Wegzyn is picked off for the second time on the day by Travis Carrie. UMass does get a quick 3 play stop and stalls Ohio to a FG attempt that is missed by the Bobcats kicker wide to the left. UMass then takes this momentum and Wegzyn passes the ball around the field, capped off by an 11 yard pass to Tajae Sharpe for a TD making it 17-14. Ohio though takes the remaining time on the clock and after a 34 yard strike results in a FG making it a 20-14 Ohio lead heading into half. Coming out of the half Ohio hits big runs. Beau Blankenship rips through the D and put Ohio in a position to score, capped with a 1 yard run by backup back Ryan Boykins to put Ohio up 27-14. UMass then has a fire lit under them. Wegzyn hits his safety targets in Sharpe, Davis and Blanchflower all over the field. Wegzyn gets hurt on a second and goal scrambling, but backup Todd Stafford comes in and hits Elgin Long for a 6 yard score to bring UMass back within 6. UMass stuffs the Ohio running attack and get the ball back with a chance to swing momentum fully back in the Minutemen favor. UMass offense however stalls out even with Wegzyn back in and are forced to punt the ball away. With that the UMass D gets gashed by an option pitch that results in a TD and 2 point conversion to make it 35-21. UMass drives down the field and across midfield (despite losing Tajae Sharpe for what appears to be the rest of the game and potentially the MAC Championship and bowl game) but a holding call on a 4th and 2 conversion forces UMass to punt the ball back away to Ohio. The UMass D though stuffs the run and short screen passes to force Ohio to give them the ball back. After a 3 and out, UMass drives down the field and puts the game back within a score with a 1 yard carry by fullback Matt Carini. An important defensive drive for UMass sees the Minutemen force another 3 and out and gives UMass the ball back with under 2 minutes to go. UMass looks like they can get something going, but then Wegzyn once again gets picked off looking for DJ Woods towards the sideline. Ohio converts a first down and runs out the clock to see off UMass and end the Minutemen hopes of going to the MAC Championships.

Final Score: Ohio 35 UMass 28

QB
    UMass: Mike Wegzyn 24/45 311 yards 1 TD 3 INTs 3 carries 3 yards. Todd Stafford 1/1 6 yards 1 TD.
    Ohio: Derrius Vick 10/15 151 yards 1 INT.

RB
    UMass: Jordan Broadnax 19 carries 91 yards 1 TD 1 catch. Matt Carini 1 carry 1 yard 1 TD. Lorenzo Woodley 1 catch 7 yards.
    Ohio: Beau Blankenship 27 carries 253 yards 1 TD 1 catch -1 yard. Ryan Boykins 2 carries 10 yards 1 TD.

WR/TE
    UMass: Rob Blanchflower 8 catches 100 yards. Bernard Davis 6 catches 89 yards. Tajae Sharpe 6 catches 52 yards 1 TD. Dalvin Battle 1 catch 3 yards. Elgin Long 1 catch 6 yards 1 TD 1 carry 5 yards. DJ Woods 1 catch 54 yards 1 carry 3 yards.
    Ohio: Donte Foster 4 catches 95 yards. Troy Hill 3 catches 32 yards. 1 catch 7 yards 1 carry 73 yards 1 TD. Landon Smith 1 catch 18 yards.

Defensive Standout:
    UMass: Stanley Andre 6 tackles 2 TFL. Kassan Messiah 6 tackles. Randell Jette 4 tackles 2 TFL 1 INT. Jovan Santos-Knox 5 tackles 2 TFL.
    Ohio: Davon Donovan 9 tackles. Thad Ingol 8 tackles 1 INT. Travis Carrie 3 tackles 2 INT.

Kicking:
    UMass: Blake Lucas 4/4 XP
    Ohio: Josiah Yazdani 2/3 FG 3/3 XP.

Recruiting News:
    OT Andrew Thompson Signs with Utah State
    DT Randy Wade Signs with Marshall
    DT David Wiggins Signs with Washington
    P Danny Long Signs with UConn
    P Jose Hill Signs with UMass
    TE Sean Hill Signs with Central Michigan
    OLB Steve Moore Signs with Penn State

Breaking: UMass snubbed out of bowl appearance after 6-6 season. Season ends early for the Minutemen.

Next Update: Recap from Around College Football and the Off Season.

40. ISO #40
    Community

Conference Winners:
    ACC: Virginia Tech
    American: Louisville
    Big 12: Kansas State
    Big Ten: Nebraska
    C-USA: Florida Atlantic
    MAC: Northern Illinois
    Mountain West: Boise State
    Pac 12: Washington
    SEC: South Carolina
    Sun Belt: Western Kentucky

BCS Bowl Games:
    Rose Bowl: Ohio State 35 Oregon 23
    Fiesta Bowl: Kansas State 31 Louisville 24
    Sugar Bowl: South Carolina 17 Boise State 3
    Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech 35 Texas A&M 10
    BCS National Championship: Washington 27 Nebraska 10

Awards
    Heisman: Taylor Martinez QB Nebraska
    Maxwell: Taylor Martinez QB Nebraska
    Walter Camp: Taylor Martinez QB Nebraska
    Bednarik: Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech (UMass Randell Jette finished second)
    Nagurski: Mario Edwards DE Florida State
    O'Brien: Derek Carr QB Fresno State
    Walker: James White RB Wisconsin
    Biletnikoff: Michael Campanaro WR Wake Forest
    Mackey: Asa Watson TE NC State
    Outland: Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    Rimmington Trey Hopkins C Texas
    Lombardi: Danny Shelton DT Washington
    Best LB: Chase Williams MLB Virginia Tech
    Thorpe: Iko Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon (UMass Randell Jette finished 5th)
    Gorza: Cade Foster K Alabama
    Guy: Nick O'Toole P West Virginia
    Best Returner: Trey Metoyer WR Oklahoma

UMass Accomplishments
    Randell Jette Second Team All-American First Team All MAC
    Stanley Andre First Team All MAC
    Khary Bailey-Smith First Team All MAC
    Greg Orekoya First Team All MAC (returner)
    Jordan Broadnax Second Team All MAC
    Tajae Sharpe Second Team All MAC
    Rob Blanchflower Second Team All MAC
    Kevin Byrne Second Team All MAC
    Ed Saint Vil Second Team All MAC

41. ISO #41
    Community

Virginia Tech: Frank Beamer retires from coaching. Hires Defensive Coordinator Bud Foster
    Cal: Fired Sonny Dykes. Hires Northern Illinois Head Coach Rod Carey
    Illinois: Fires Tim Blackman. Hires Louisville Offensive Coordinator Shawn Watson.
    Oregon State: Fires Mike Riley. Hires Western Kentucky Head Coach Bobby Petrino
    Virginia: Fires Mike London. Hires UL Lafatette Head Coach Mark Hudspeth.
    Northern Illinois: Hires Defensive Coordinator Jay Niemann to replace Rod Carey.
    Minnesota: Fires Jerry Kill (who is immediately hired by Georgia State). Hires Washington Defensive Coordinator Justin Wilcox.
    Indiana: Fires Kevin Wilson. Hires Northern Illinois Offensive Coordinator Bob Cole.
    Duke: Fires David Cutcliffe (hired to coach Akron). Hires Western Kentucky Defensive Coordinator Nick Holt.

42. ISO #42
    Community

TE Rob Blanchflower: 71 receptions 961 yards 6 TDs
    P Jeff Strait: 34 punts 42.4 average yards per punt
    DE Stanley Andre: 31 tackles 15 TFLs 7 sacks
    DE Kevin Byrne: 31 tackles 16 TFLs 7 sacks
    CB Antoine Tharpe: 39 tackles 3 TFLs 2 sacks 2 INTs 1 deflection
    DT/DE Justin Anderson: 21 tackles 9 TFLs 6 sacks
    OLB Tom Brandt: 54 tackles 9 TFLs 3 sacks 1 deflection
    FS Devin Brown: Did not play
    OT Anthony Dima: 3 Pancake Blocks 3 Sacks Allowed
    DT Galen Clemons 9 tackles 6 TFLs 2 sacks
    DT Brandon Potvin 3 tackles 1 TFL 1 sack

43. ISO #43
    Community
    Players Signed to UMass:
    WR Reggie Pollock
    WR Drew Williams
    OT Dedrick Jackson
    OG Scott Hall
    C Troy Brown
    DE Caleb Scott
    DE Kenneth Mason
    DE Jesse Carroll
    DE Kevin Evans
    DE Lee McClellan
    DT Tiger Goodman
    DT Kyle Walker
    DT Lorenzo Davis
    DT Gabe McDonald
    OLB Reggie Glover
    CB George Gibson
    JUCO CB Brad McLaughlin
    SS Will Carter
    SS Doug Webster
    P Jose Hill
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 24th, 2019 at 08:01 PM.

44. ISO #44
    Community
    RSFR Shaquille Harris from WR to RB
    RSFR Richard Queen from RT to LT
    SR Trey Seals from RE to LE
    RSSO D'Metrius Williams from CB to FS

45. ISO #45
    Community
    QB RS SR Brandon Hill
    WR RS SO Dalvin Battle
    DT SO Enock Asante
    FS RS FR Arthur Williams
    SS RS SR Ryan Collins
    OG SO Sam Zeff
    DT FR Kyle Walker

46. ISO #46
    Community
    RB SO Lorenzo Woodley
    WR SO EJ Burston
    WR FR Drew Williams
    C FR Troy Brown
    DE FR Lee McClellan

47. ISO #47
    Community

Week 1 @ UConn (part of a home-home series)
    Week 2 @ Indiana
    Week 3 @ Vanderbilt
    Week 4 vs. UTSA (part of a home-home series)
    Week 5 Bye
    Week 6 @ Buffalo *
    Week 7 @ Kent State *
    Week 8 vs. Miami (OH) *
    Week 9 @ Eastern Michigan *
    Week 10 Bye
    Week 11 vs. Western Michigan *
    Week 12 vs. Toledo *
    Week 13 @ Bowling Green *
    Week 14 vs. Ball State *

*denotes MAC conference game

Next Update: 2015 Team Preview
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 24th, 2019 at 08:05 PM.

48. ISO #48
    Community
    2015 Offense Preview
    QB Mike Wegzyn RS JR81 Overall 85 Throw Power 80 Throw Accuracy
    Backup Todd Stafford SO 71 Overall 84 Throw Power 81 Throw Accuracy
    Wegzyn is back in the saddle at QB once again after a season where he broke the school record for passing yards with 3943. Coach Battle is hoping another year under his belt will help with his decision making after throwing 25 INTs a season ago (while amassing 23 passing TDs). Todd Stafford who threw just one pass last season of which was a TD is back to be the backup for Wegzyn once again.

RB Jordan Broadnax SR 77 Overall 91 Speed 85 Agility 87 Acceleration
    Backup Jamal Wilson RSJR 74 Overall 86 Speed 84 Agility 86 Acceleration
    Jordan Broadnax is also back at the running back position, a place where the Minutemen will hope for more consistency this year. Broadnax got 843 yards on 218 carries last season but his share of the offense has been inconsistent from game to game. His #2 this season is Jamal Wilson who had a solid training camp to jump him up the depth chart. Last years second stringer Lorenzo Woodley is taking a redshirt year so SO Stacey Bedell and RS SR and return man Greg Orekoya are going to be the depth guys for the RB core.

WRs Tajae Sharpe JR 75 Overall 89 Speed 77 Catch 72 Route Running 76 Jump
    Bernard Davis JR 73 Overall 83 Speed 81 Catch 73 Route Running 92 Jump
    DJ Woods SO 70 Overall 92 Speed 68 Catch 73 Route Running 85 Jump
    Derek Beck JR 69 Overall 87 Speed 75 Catch 73 Route Running 75 Jump
    Elgin Long RSJR 69 Overall 84 Speed 69 Catch 73 Route Running 75 Jump
    The Receiving Core from last year returns and looks to build on an offense that lead the nation in passing last year. Tajae Sharpe and Bernard Davis are expected to get a bulk of the receptions with DJ Woods being a solid 3rd option. The #4 slot will be battled by Elgin Long, coming off a decent season as last years 4th option, and Derek Beck, who had a really good training camp and improved his catching.

TE Sharif Custis SO 68 Overall 77 Catch 69 Route Running 77 Jump
    Ricardo Miller SR 65 Overall 68 Catch 67 Route Running 64 Jump
    With the Graduation of Rob Blanchflower the Tight End position on UMass becomes a bit of a question mark. Sharif Custis saw snaps last year but mostly as a blocker and only caught 3 balls for 42 yards and a TD last season. He is expected to take a step up this season in a starting role. His backup is SR Ricardo Miller who saw extremely limited playing time last season and dropped the one pass targeted to him.

O-Line
    LT Richard Queen RS FR 67 Overall 75 Pass Block 76 Run Block 78 Impact Block
    LG Al Leneus JR 67 Overall 82 Pass Block 68 Run Block 74 Impact Block
    C Matt Sparks JR 72 Overall 77 Pass Block 75 Run Block 75 Impact Block
    RG Tyshon Henderson SO 66 Overall 80 Pass Block 71 Run Block 77 Impact Block
    RT Tyrell Smith 71 Overall 79 Pass Block 75 Run Block 78 Impact Block
    Still a unit with some question marks the O-Line returns most of it's starting unit from last season bar the LT position which is now being filled by Richard Queen, a natural RT who will be filling the void left by the graduated Anthony Dima.
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 24th, 2019 at 05:48 PM.

49. ISO #49
    Community
    2015 Defensive and Special Teams Preview
    D-Line
    LE Trey Seals SR 68 Overall 69 Block Shed 73 Pursuit
    RE Adam Richard RS SO 63 Overall 67 Block Shed 66 Pursuit
    DT Robert Kitching JR 63 Overall 72 Power Move 63 Block Shed 62 Pursuit
    DT Lorenzo Davis FR 62 Overall 71 Block Shed 69 Pursuit
    When basically the entire D-Line from last season graduated it was a focus from the Minutemen to retool the line through recruiting. In doing so they have a fairly inexperienced unit coming out next season having to replace key pieces like Stanley Andre, Kevin Byrne and Justin Anderson. Trey Seals saw a bit of playing time last season picking up 3 tackles and 1 TFL and Robert Kitching also has 3 tackles a TFL and a sack to his name. Lorenzo Davis will lineup along side Kitching and was a part of Terrence Battle's first recruiting class, being the lone player from said class of D-Linemen to start this season. Adam Richards will be taking over Byrne's side of the line. Depth includes Peter Angeh who sat out redshirted last season and FR Gabe McDonald who is considered to be another piece to the D-Line future.

LB
    OLB Kassan Messiah JR 78 Overall 79 Tackle 83 Hit Power 79 Pursuit
    MLB Jovan Santos-Knox JR 75 Overall 80 Tackle 76 Hit Power 76 Pursuit
    OLB Reggie Glover FR 68 Overall 77 Tackle 75 Hit Power 73 Pursuit
    A pivotal part of this team last year, the Linebacker core this year is looking to step up from what Coach Battle considers a decent season. Kassan Messiah and Jovan Santos-Knox both return for another season and will hope to continue to be forces in the run defense this season. Joining them and replacing the graduated Tom Brandt will be FR Reggie Glover. A late addition to the recruiting class who shows great tackling ability and will hopefully fill the role Brandt left nicely. JR John Robinson and last years 3-4 LB Michael McKenna are considered depth for the LB Core.

DBs
    CB Randell Jette RS JR 79 Overall 79 Tackle 85 Man Coverage 88 Zone Coverage
    CB Trey Dudley-Giles JR 74 Overall 72 Tackle 87 Man Coverage 86 Zone Coverage
    FS Ed Saint Vil RS SR 75 Overall 70 Tackle 77 Zone Coverage
    SS Khary Bailey-Smith 75 Overall 68 Tackling 79 Zone Coverage
    All 4 starters from last year return to a DB unit with a lot to still prove this season. Randell Jette who had 6 INTs last season and was a second team All-American is looking to have another stellar season and was listed as a Pre-Season First Team All American. He is joined once again by Trey Dudley-Giles who has improved on his man coverage from last season and is going to hope for better after being burned on deep routes at times. Ed Saint Vil is ready to make his final season a good one and Khary Bailey-Smith is looking for another solid season. Depth still includes last seasons Nickle corner Jaurice Jones, but the depth is added with converted corner turned safety D'Metrius Williams who will be both safety depth as well as the Dime Corner.

Special Teams
    K Blake Lucas JR 80 Overall
    P Jose Hill FR 61 Overall
    KR/PR Greg Orekoya 89 Overall returner
    KR Tajae Sharpe 90 Overall returner

Next Update: Season begins against New England Rival UConn
    Last edited by DaveDob; October 24th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    W3D Hub
    That's a pretty big infodump all at once, can't comment on all of it. A shame the season couldn't have been better, but like I said in the other thread, I like series where there's improvement/progression. Though with a college game, I'm not quite sure how exactly the progression system would work as compared to the pros...