Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 8,651 to 8,700 of 8700

Thread: Season 6, Finale: The Billion-Dollar Pogo Stick Race [The Mafia Championship]

1. ISO #8651
    plinko boards and waterfalls vanity.'s Avatar Flake Moderator
    Community
    Mafia.gg
    REVEAL (PART SIX)

In second place with 43 points is...

@Macdougall (The Syndicate)!
    MY BOY

2. ISO #8652
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#8649)
    REVEAL (PART SIX)

Congrats Mac!!

3. ISO #8653
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara

4. ISO #8654
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Congratulations Lexi and Spiny, you were my favorites!
    Well done, Apoc and MacD!

5. ISO #8655
    Cuddles Wolves Mill Crab's Avatar Flake Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    Mafia Universe

6. ISO #8656
    vast tonal gap Lissa's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Ultimate Mafia / Mafia Universe

With 47 points, the Season 6 Mafia Champion is...

@Beck (NovoCiv)!

7. ISO #8657
    Community
    Mafia.gg
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

@Beck (NovoCiv)!
    MY BOY (reprise)

8. ISO #8658
    Cuddles Wolves Mill Crab's Avatar Flake Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

@Beck (NovoCiv)!
    Congrats Beck!

9. ISO #8659
    Timezone
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#8656)
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

@Beck (NovoCiv)!
    Beck!!!

Season 69 Champion!!

10. ISO #8660
    Timezone
    Community
    Hattrick
    AKA
    dobby
    Pronouns
    it/it/its/its/itself
    WOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I GOT POCKETED IN WC2 BY THE WINNER!!!!!

GG BECK

also shoutout to fable who played a sick game!

11. ISO #8661
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    AKA
    Eifie, zeep

12. ISO #8662
    Community
    mafiamaniac

13. ISO #8663
    Congrats, Beck! Amazingly played! You finally got redemption for Season 3 and push it all the way to gold!

14. ISO #8664
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara

15. ISO #8665
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

16. ISO #8666
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Congratulations Beck, consistently good play!
    Plus you made GH bet on an impossibility in WC2!

17. ISO #8667
    Timezone
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    AKA
    Eifie, zeep

I can't remember where I got this gif and it's going to be awkward if I stole it from someone in this game

oh well

18. ISO #8668
    Community
    Mafia.gg
    very happy with the result overall, all of my favorite personalities this season showed up pretty much

congrats making here all and even more congrats to beck, mac, spiny, lld, and apoc!

19. ISO #8669
    Timezone
    Community
    Boardgamegeek
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Don't forget about us, Beck!

20. ISO #8670
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    AKA
    Mac
    Thanks fam. Congrats to everyone on a great season, game and in particular congrats to Beck and the other finalists but mostly whoever pulled out in the quals to let me in congrats to you.

Thanks MU team for putting in the work. Amazing effort. Truly appreciate.

21. ISO #8671
    Community
    Liar's Club/Mafiascum
    Thank you to everyone who played and who voted for me. I'm honoured to have gotten this far, and while I'm obviously disappointed in not winning, just my competitive nature, I'm glad to be in the company of the other four.

And hey, I still set a record for most points in a vote! So there's that.

Cheers all!

22. ISO #8672
    Timezone
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdougall (#8670)
    Thanks fam. Congrats to everyone on a great season, game and in particular congrats to Beck and the other finalists but mostly whoever pulled out in the quals to let me in congrats to you.

Thanks MU team for putting in the work. Amazing effort. Truly appreciate.
    Heartily seconded.

Everyone in my games was great, everyone involved in organizing did an awesome job, and overall this was an amazing experience! Thank you all for helping to make it happen!

23. ISO #8673
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

24. ISO #8674
    Thread Analyst
    Community
    Liars Club
    Props to LLD for winning 2 games as scum, which should be by far her weaker alignment given how $#@!ing scary she is as a player.

Liars Club going undefeated across 2 seasons is a feelsgoodman, you are all welcome to join us this and next weekend at https://twitch.tv/liarsclub as we run a small competitive event (that will become a monthly event with $400 per month prize pool). You will even get to see Lexi/LLD play next Sunday in her first post MU-champs games!

GG everyone, LC will be back next year to take ass and kick names!

25. ISO #8675
    Community
    Canucks.com

Bet you feel silly now for trying to discredit me in qualifiers due to my finalist status. I even told you then I thought you were a better player than me - now I've been proven right.

26. ISO #8676
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

@Beck (NovoCiv)!
    Wow!!! Thank you!

This is a huge honor, I’m without words. But I’ve got so many to thank for this opportunity.

I’ll share more thoughts this evening once I’m home and have had time to process this.

Again, WOW! I am over-the-moon ecstatic!

27. ISO #8677
    Timezone
    Community
    Bulbagarden
    AKA
    Your top scumread
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Beck, Mac, Spiny, LLD and Apoc!

28. ISO #8678
    Community
    The Bell Tree
    AKA
    Dad
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

That being said congrats to the placers who all deserved it. Especially you Beck, helped keep me sane in wolfchat those first few days.

29. ISO #8679
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    All four people I voted for made top 5 and the person I would have voted 5th if I had to is there too so it all seems correct to me.

Congrats Beck.

30. ISO #8680
    Community
    The Bell Tree
    AKA
    Dad
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

I forgot to post this in the thread btw.

31. ISO #8681
    Community
    FlashFlashRevolution
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    good job gamers!! special congrats to my fellow wolves and the award-winners!! I hope I get to play a proper game with you all sometime, I'll try to lose my new job rq

32. ISO #8682
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Conclusion

The finish line was in sight at last. After weeks, seemingly months, seemingly geological epochs of pogoing across two continents and four countries, the six remaining racers had braved the worst of the Sahara and the renewed fighting between the Malian government forces and the Tuareg rebels looking certainly worse for the wear, but still mostly in one piece.

They would carry this experience with them for the remainder of their lives. It had been, everyone agreed, the most strenuous and trying Great Northerner in memory - from all of the deaths, to the dust storm in the Sahara, to the constant fear of the Red Valkyries, to the literal *racing on a pogo stick through an active war zone*, but it was now mostly over. The billion dollars had never been closer, and the dusty walls of Timbuktu were in sight.

The ancient "city of gold", once one of the world's greatest trading centers due to its strategic location between the vast riches of the Mali empire and the access to the Maghreb and points north, Timbuktu had mostly ceased to become relevant once sea trade had rendered overland travel through the Sahara obsolete some centuries ago, but it had always retained its air of mystery in certain (European and western) circles. When Henri Pogeaux had first devised the idea of the Great Overlander in the middle of the Twentieth Century, a long and grueling race through the desert with the promise of incalculable riches awaiting the winner, Timbuktu had seemed the obvious finish line.

Making the ancient trading center suitable for prime time has been an ongoing task, especially in recent years with the instability in this part of Mali. However, with the natural prestige that came with the city's name as well as the global attention that it has received from being the finish line to the richest and most dangerous in the world, Timbuktu escaped the worst of the Northern Mali conflict at its height and so far the recent resurgence in fighting has not touched its borders - almost as if the rebels were following orders to not go near it.

Nothing would spoil the city's day in the light as the six remaining pogoers approached its ancient walls. Thus was Timbuktu ready to receive its due.

Which racer would cross the finish line first though? With the eruption of the fighting in the area and the abandonment of the designated route in the name of safety, Race HQ and all other official sources had ceased fully tracking and placing the remaining contestants. Regnault, Puntambekar, Ri, Musungu, Davies, and Steinlage each came equipped with a GPS, but even that was unreliable at best in the harsh environment they were traveling through. In other words, the race for a billion was still completely open.

---

The exact finish line was the Sankoré Madrasah (more familiar to Civilization players as the University of Sankore), located near the geographic center of Timbuktu. All of the gates from the walls of the old city were roughly equidistant to its location and thus equally viable by the racers - provided that they had gotten to each gate at the same time. As a result, the international TV coverage needed to keep an eye on all four gates.

Coming up on the Northern Gate were two players that had taken a direct route through the city's fighting: North Korea's Ri Yong-ju and France's Rene Regnault. The two were a contrast in styles. The impoverished, mysterious North Korean had had the most haphazard of pogo sticks by far that started to fall apart nearly immediately. However, her skill at field repair and her expert handling of adversity had allowed her to make up for this and even lead the race for a point before coming closest to death in the northern Malian villages touched by the fighting. Meanwhile, the Frenchman, one of the most famous people in the world, had thrown off all criticisms that he was all style and no substance by weathering the storm and always maintaining a presence at or near the front. He had lost weight, had a gaunt look on his face that almost certainly was not there at the start of the race, and his golden stick was now dust-colored like everything else that had passed through the desert, but he was still there, still racing, still alive.

Ri's resourcefulness had won her many plaudits, but at the end of the day she could not match Regnault's pure skill. He had passed her roughly ten miles out from Timbuktu, saluting her as he went by, and she was aware of her fate, hoping that the Frenchman would win so that she could at least obtain second. Regnault, for his part, was close to collapsing from exhaustion before the pass, and he was hanging on to the last vestiges of his adrenaline to try to see him through.

At the Eastern Gate was a single solitary pogoer: Kenya's Cheris Musungu. The former marathoner had weathered the harsh conditions of the race perhaps better than anyone else in the field, but she was deterred from the most direct route by fear that the Tuareg rebels, targeting the mostly black African Malian forces, would target her. Instead, she had taken the long way around to be safe, hoping that her superior conditioning would make up the difference. Musungu was mere minutes away from finding out if this was the case and if she was the first African racer to win the Great Overlander.

Most of the attention, however, was focused at the Western Gate, where all three racers were in sight of one another and desperately trying to summon their final reserves of energy to provide one last boost. The USA's Michelle Steinlage, who had controversially aided the Tuareg rebels on live TV in order to clear the road more quickly, New Zealand's Larissa Davies, who had finally postponed the search for her husband Mick after a dead end in the Sahara in order to finish first, and India's Narender Puntambekar, a former leading racer after the Atlas Mountains before a series of mishaps in the Sahara had caused him to fall back, were all vying for the win. Steinlage was leading the three, but she was having a hard time trying to fend off Davies for the lead, using every single blocking tactic in her arsenal to try to make up for the Kiwi's seemingly greater energy and motivation.

And thus the racers closed in from three directions. Ri and Puntembekar were out of it; it was down to Regnault from the north, Musungu from the east, and Steinlage and Davies from the west. The unique tower of the madrassa was in sight for all, looming, getting closer in the distance, only maybe one or two more blocks to go. Musungu thought she could see the others, she thought she had a bead on Regnault but wasn't sure about the western two, she decided to keep pogoing, the Frenchman put on a burst of speed to the north, the Kiwi made one last pass attempt against the American, not long now -

And then, from the south, a figure decked out all in red pogo'd her way into the square and edged everybody out in the winner's circle.

Regnault was so surprised that he tunnel vision'd onto this mysterious figure, lost all track of his peripheral surroundings, and ended up crashing into Musungu. Similarly, neither Steinlage nor Davies wanted to stop, and both of them blazed right by this mysterious figure without stopping until their momentum carried them into the tangle of piled-up racers just outside the circle. With everybody coughing and checking their sticks for damage, they finally looked up and saw the person who had beaten them all...

Isabela Castaño?

"But... you died! In Marrakech!"

The Spaniard sported a brilliant smile as she shook the hand of the Credit Suisse representative on site to deliver her the billion. "It seemed that way, didn't it? But the Red Valkyries needed a false flag to throw everyone off the scent, and so I played the part. I got a nice rest for a few hours playing a corpse, this allowed me to pass through the desert and follow my own route unnoticed while everyone else faced trials and tribulations... everyone wins!"

"I think not," said the race Director, Joachim Ducard, only a hint of annoyance seeping into his voice as he ambled over, still puffing on his cigar. "An excellent performance, Ms. Castaño, but one that's invalid. You just admitted coordination with the Red Valkyries group, and the official race clearly states that anyone affiliated with them is-

"You're one to talk," she said, snatching the cigar right out of the Director's hand and puffing some smoke of her own in his face. "The Red Valkyries may seek to eliminate racers, yes, but you threatened to upend the entire geopolitical situation just for the sake of ratings and gambling wages. Arming rebels and reigniting a previously-dormant conflict? You've got bigger problems than me winning to worry about. And by the way, check my GPS data, I ran a clean route."

"I have no idea what you're talking ab-" he started to say, and then stopped when he spotted a full dozen armed UN peacekeepers marching into the area, clearly headed straight for him.

"Director, this is going to go one of the two ways," Castaño said, clearly enjoying herself. "You're seconds away from being arrested and will almost certainly be put on trial for crimes against humanity at the Hague in a few months. The only question is whether that trial is private... or if it's *public*, just like your entire motivation for doing this in the first place. What's it gonna be, Director?"

Ducard glared at the seemingly resurrected Spaniard, then glanced back at the UN forces, now mere steps away from him, and then looked back at Castaño. He sighed.

"Congratulations on winning the 2019 Great Overlander, Isabela Castaño."

She smiled. It had been a long, hard, strenuous race - one that future generations would easily call the most grueling Great Overlander of them all - but she had won.

Beck is revealed to be Isabela Castaño (Spain)!

Isabela Castaño has won the 2019 Great Overlander!

Beck is the Season 6 Mafia Champion!

Fin

33. ISO #8683
    Season 5 Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Timezone
    Community
    Totalwar.org (The Org)
    AKA
    GH, Fuchs
    Now that that's done, I'd like to extend my serious congratulations to Beck, Mac, Spiny, LLD, Apoc, and everyone else for taking part in this Championships. You all played a wonderful game I was very happy to host for you all.

I sincerely hope you all enjoyed this experience, made friends, and in general gained a new appreciation for the whole of the mafia community. Congrats to Beck once again on his win and I'll see you all next season.

GH

34. ISO #8684
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

@Beck (NovoCiv)!
    Sick

gg

35. ISO #8685
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    AKA
    Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by vanity. (#8651)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#8649)
    REVEAL (PART SIX)

MY BOY
    I did it for The Rock
    and you

36. ISO #8686
    Community
    RateYourMusic / TheSyndicate
    MacDougall leads The Syndicate in 2019 wins and takes the silver in the MU tournament. That's a hell of a Mafia year, sir. Bravo and well-deserved. Let this also make clear that among the villagers of the tournament, you've taken the gold. Our site has had a lot of success in these tournaments, but you've set a new standard.

Congrats as well to Apoc, LLD, Spiny, and Beck. Each of you played fabulous games throughout the tournament. You've all done our great game a service.

37. ISO #8687
    Timezone
    Community
    NovoCiv

I’ve had some time now to process all of this, and it still doesn’t feel like enough time. My head was spinning when I received the news earlier and it still is. I never joined the Champs series with the intention to win, but always to give it my best effort, to meet new players, and to have fun. I love the game of werewolf and have played it in many formats across the last decade. But never did I think I would actually be recognized for something I consider a hobby. And certainly not at this level, surrounded by so many friends and players who I admire greatly. So to be voted to such honors by my peers feels so amazing and is validating in so many ways. I won’t get into the ups and downs of my werewolf history, but I have several people I want to thank for helping me get here.

I’d first like to thank @Thingyman for creating Champs years ago. It’s mind-boggling to think that I’ve won this season, but my gratitude starts back in Season 2, when I first heard of the series in a Skype chat, through a friend of a friend. I was from a small forum called NovoCiv and only ventured out to play werewolf on one or two other forums. But the excitement and fanfare that surrounded a game I loved was amazing. I was hooked, and joined MU soon thereafter (you can find my first post on MU in the Introduction thread, if you look for it!). Since, MU has been a core component of my life. I’ve met so many amazing people being a member of this community and have learned so much about myself. And I have Michael to thank for most of that.

I would also like to thank @Makaze for all of his efforts to differentiate MU and make it such a fun place to play. Your time and effort to give us the best is so appreciated and is one of the reasons I have stuck around MU for almost five years now. Thank you as well to @Lissa for her commitment to running Champs this year. It is a huge task to undertake and you have done an incredible job (while abroad, no less!).

Taking a step back, I’d like to thank some of NovoCiv’s finest. I doubt they’ll see this and some I haven’t spoken to in years. But I would be remiss to not share my appreciation for your impact on my life as a forum-goer and as someone who’s had the privilege of playing werewolf with you. A huge thanks to Scornic, kaos, evil penguin, Frigz, Alice, Ignatz, mmeister, OctaneHugo, and Helmic, as well as many others.

I’d like to thank my wolf pack from WC2, @Keldeo and @Spiny Creature. I would not be in this position without your teamwork and willingness to welcome me despite an early setback. It would’ve been easy to mail it in but you both made WC2 a comeback win for the ages and forever one of my favourite games and wolf chats.

I’d like to thank my wolf pack in Finale as well, @DaBackpack, @Lady Lambdadelta, and @Geo. We went toe-to-toe with some of the best villagers Champs had to offer, and we WON! Our win would not have been possible without our combined efforts, and while I am extremely grateful for being recognized as the “Champion,” I very much consider this recognition of how well we all played. Thank you for the opportunity to play with you all. That being said, the Finale would not have been nearly as fun and challenging as it was without the superb play of several villagers. As much as I love playing the bad guy, I know how challenging it is being a villager, especially in such a high-stakes environment; so again, thank you for your effort and time.

There are so many people who make MU an incredible community to be a part of, and I could surely thank each and every one of you for contributing to my enjoyment. If I’ve ever played a game with you, or had a conversation via DM, or shared a laugh in #general, thank you. Thanking “everyone” may seem cliche but I mean it -- my experience on MU has a special place in my heart and I would not feel this way or be in this position without you being a part of it. A special shout-out to @Apoc, @Panther, @Cory, and @Tom, all four of which I consider good friends and who have had an immensely positive impact on my growth while at MU. Also a huge thanks to those who found me cool enough to want to meet me in-person, @Zack, @Manasi, @Boquise, @DaveDob, @Dot, and GH. Hopefully I have the privilege of seeing you all again soon, as well as meeting many more of you in time.

As I reflect once more, I am honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence as players I admire and respect so much: @Whiskeyjack, @Dels, and @GeneralHankerchief. That, to me, is crazy to think about. I look forward to upholding tradition and participating in the Jury next year with all of the other phenomenal Finale participants, too.

I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with werewolf (as I’m sure many of you have), but MU and each of you have given me a home to learn and grow and laugh and shout and fail and succeed across the last five years. And this award is a beautiful culmination of all of the time I’ve spent here. Thank you again for your support.

Beck

38. ISO #8688
    Timezone
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    We can now say there is some beck and call on these forums.

39. ISO #8689
    Congrats Beck!

And wp everyone

40. ISO #8690
    Community
    The Avocado
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    *plays the Oscar music at the end of Beck’s speech*

Super well-deserved, @Beck, you were my top vote. And ditto @Macdougall, you were my second and top town for sure.

Really happy to get third - I appreciate everyone appreciating my losing town game! @Lady Lambdadelta, @Apoc, grats too, super well played, especially subbing in in Apoc’s case.

This was a really fun way to spend a few weeks (in total)! I’m not sure if I’ll be sent from my homesite again next year, but I deffonitely want to do this again sometime.

41. ISO #8691
    Community
    The Avocado
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Also @Fable, I know you were feeling defeated for much of the game but I wanted to give you a shoutout, because without your ultra-pure purity and support at LyLo I might have given up, and then I definitely wouldn’t be third. (And ditto if you had voted for me, haha.)

So my points are part yours for the record

42. ISO #8692
    Community
    The Avocado
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Creature (#8690)

Super well-deserved, @Beck, you were my top vote. And ditto @Macdougall, you were my second and top town for sure.

Really happy to get third - I appreciate everyone appreciating my losing town game! @Lady Lambdadelta, @Apoc, grats too, super well played, especially subbing in in Apoc’s case.

This was a really fun way to spend a few weeks (in total)! I’m not sure if I’ll be sent from my homesite again next year, but I deffonitely want to do this again sometime.
    In spec chat I have been told that finalists can't be sent twice consecutively, so I guess that's a no.

Still deffo probably coming back for my revenge someday.

43. ISO #8693
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Creature (#8692)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Creature (#8690)

In spec chat I have been told that finalists can't be sent twice consecutively, so I guess that's a no.

Still deffo probably coming back for my revenge someday.
    come back to be jury next year, and to choose some underappreciated low-posting players who can keep town together to be in wildcards!

44. ISO #8694
    Fair enough DaveDob's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    DailyMafia/MiniMafia/MU/SMAS
    Congrats Beck, absolutely well deserved pal

45. ISO #8695
    congrats beck!

two of my favorite players that I've been playing with for years and have also met irl winning champs in back-to-back seasons

I also consider this a huge victory for ww players with four-letter usernames having a vowel in the second letter and ending with "ck".

46. ISO #8696
    2016 Mafia Champion Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Community
    Westeros

Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#8695)
    I also consider this a huge victory for ww players with four-letter usernames having a vowel in the second letter and ending with "ck".
    Whiskeyjack

Agreed.

47. ISO #8697
    Community
    Canucks Community (CDC)
    Congratulations to Beck and all the others voted highly. All are deserving.

This tournament will always hold a special place in my heart.

48. ISO #8698
    Community
    Canucks Community (CDC)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt (#8667)

I can't remember where I got this gif and it's going to be awkward if I stole it from someone in this game

oh well

49. ISO #8699
    Timezone
    Community
    Personality Cafe
    AKA
    Gnome, Gnomey
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

50. ISO #8700
    Community
    Canucks Community (CDC)
    I shot Shawna Lelouch because I've met a lot of bad Shawnas. :/ I am sorry again.