Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Open Signups

  1. ISO #1
    Wants It More Zork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,739
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Gender

    Open Signups

    In no way is this post meant to be a criticism of Aquilla or anyone else on the team that makes MU great. This is just me trying to make things better, and you can flame my ideas if you hate them with no offense taken:

    When I scheduled my game, it was the only one on the calendar. Soon after my game went up, two more games were authorized to compete with my large game for players. Now, with only 5 full days left to sign up for these games:

    catgode's small game is 40% full
    Warren42 and Duk3star's small game is 44% full
    My large game is 42% full

    Only 25 spots of 59 are filled, in other words.

    At best, only one of these games will fill. Mine certainly won't because for me to get from 42% to 100% I need to find 15 players in the next 5 days.

    The policy needs to be changed in light of this downturn in site participation so that games have a chance to fill.

    Each week there should be a maximum of 42 spots available including light, small, and large games, with the only exception being events given special permission by an administrator (anniversary, etc).

    This means in any given week, there can be:
    --one large game of up to 42 spots OR
    --two 21ers OR
    --three 13ers.

    This would give each game a chance.

    Having said that, I will now change my game, which was originally scheduled to be a 40er, now a 26er, to a 15er.
    Last edited by Zork; October 1st, 2019 at 12:18 PM.

  2. ISO #2
    Tunnel King Phighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    AXW
    Posts
    48,663
    Community
    XHF, MU
    AKA
    Caffrey
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Side, slightly related question:

    Where are the mashes? Can someone host one?

    Thanks. If someone needs flavor designed, I can come and design one instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#233)
    So here's the deal, Champ.

    1. Phighter's $#@!ing with you.

  3. ISO #3
    τη καλλίστη Makaze's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4,076
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Serenes Forest
    AKA
    Mak Daddy
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    Gender
    For the last time, Zork, I will not take payment in exchange for game slots.

    You could always hold off on your game until you think the demand will be met instead of trying to restrict it so that people have no choice but to play yours.
    I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.


    [12:09 pm] Cory Curren: remember that we are marking down all of your reads to hold for our personal amusement
    [12:09 pm] Cory Curren: anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of lol

  4. ISO #4
    Mantichora's Avatar Game Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    26,166
    Community
    MiniMafia
    Gender
    We welcome hosts to attempt to fill large games any time of the year. That being said, there are certain times of year when large games fill easily and there wont be a problem. Then, there are times when they are more difficult to fill.

    Again, hosts are welcome to try whenever they want, but times like September and early October are not good times for less known hosts to fill larger playerlists, as the number of players actively searching for games is lower.

    I would recommend hosting smaller games, or moving games into time slots that are more likely to fill (such as closer to breaks and holidays, after champs but before the hydra event, etc.)

    As of right now, we are not looking to change our rules as constricting the number of games hosted actually has little bearing on the number of signups after a certain point.

  5. ISO #5
    Soul Reader PunchyTheCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    4,574
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    The Bell Tree Forums
    AKA
    Poncho/Panchy/Pinchy/Lunchy/Brian
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#4)
    We welcome hosts to attempt to fill large games any time of the year. That being said, there are certain times of year when large games fill easily and there wont be a problem. Then, there are times when they are more difficult to fill.

    Again, hosts are welcome to try whenever they want, but times like September and early October are not good times for less known hosts to fill larger playerlists, as the number of players actively searching for games is lower.

    I would recommend hosting smaller games, or moving games into time slots that are more likely to fill (such as closer to breaks and holidays, after champs but before the hydra event, etc.)

    As of right now, we are not looking to change our rules as constricting the number of games hosted actually has little bearing on the number of signups after a certain point.
    oh, this happens every year?

    makes sense

    i do think only 2 games per week is a good idea (i thought this was already a thing lol)
    I like mashes

  6. ISO #6
    Wants It More jumpluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    7,330
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchyTheCat (#5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#4)
    We welcome hosts to attempt to fill large games any time of the year. That being said, there are certain times of year when large games fill easily and there wont be a problem. Then, there are times when they are more difficult to fill.

    Again, hosts are welcome to try whenever they want, but times like September and early October are not good times for less known hosts to fill larger playerlists, as the number of players actively searching for games is lower.

    I would recommend hosting smaller games, or moving games into time slots that are more likely to fill (such as closer to breaks and holidays, after champs but before the hydra event, etc.)

    As of right now, we are not looking to change our rules as constricting the number of games hosted actually has little bearing on the number of signups after a certain point.
    oh, this happens every year?

    makes sense

    i do think only 2 games per week is a good idea (i thought this was already a thing lol)
    It is a thing, at least for games that have to go into the sign-up queue. Zork wants it to apply globally.

    Two Games of any size can be Queued per week, with the following caveats:
    -- A third Small/Preset Game may only be added on short notice with enough demand, but is subject to all other Expectations.
    -- Two Large Games may not be hosted within the same week.
    However, light and basic games (13 players or fewer, usually automated, quick) have a separate calendar (and their own limit). One of the games being referred to in the OP is a light game.

    Invitationals also don't have to be queued iirc, as the demand for them is somewhat separate and things like site-specific games (DailyMafia forum game, the SDN game from a year or more back, etc.) are also run as invitationals.

    Light games are a fairly distinct demographic from normal games and healthy for the site, so I don't see them as serious competition (or competition that should be disallowed). Basic games are quick and simple, take very few players, and probably also don't substantially eat into the demand for larger, more complex games, but I'm more open on that one. Regardless, there are rarely many queued.

    I know other people will just sign up for whatever when they get the urge to play mafia, but I will personally only sign up for games that interest me, and I know other players feel like me, so I also am not sure how much limiting competition helps (seeing as concurrent large games aren't allowed, etc). Some times are good for large games and some aren't. My understanding is that there is a certain amount of players that will sign up regardless and past a certain point they are unlikely to pile all into one game.

    September/October are awkward times of year. School is starting up again or in full swing in most parts of the world, and many active mafia players are students. People are burned out from playing mafia in the summer, champs, etc. This definitely happens pretty much yearly, with an uptick of games closer to November.
    Last edited by jumpluff; October 1st, 2019 at 08:59 PM.

  7. ISO #7
    Wants It More Zork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,739
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#3)
    For the last time, Zork, I will not take payment in exchange for game slots.

    You could always hold off on your game until you think the demand will be met instead of trying to restrict it so that people have no choice but to play yours.
    I read that first sentence a few times and it's still going over my head *shrugs*

    It's not that people would have no choice but to play mine...for a 13er or 21er there would be at least one alternative by another host available. Players who prefer one host over another might sit out one week to play in the one the next week that their preferred host offers.

    This is about ensuring games fill. Obviously if someone is hogging multiple weeks and they never get enough signers they'd be asked to take a step back or host a 13er or something. I already enforce this on myself by scaling back in times of "famine," so to speak :-)

  8. ISO #8
    Wants It More Zork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,739
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#4)
    we are not looking to change our rules as constricting the number of games hosted actually has little bearing on the number of signups after a certain point.
    I disagree with your decision and the rationale for your decision.

    Oh well, it didn't hurt to give the feedback. The worst you could tell me is no. Which you did. Heh.

    :-)

  9. ISO #9
    Everyone's mom dyachei's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    34,033
    Community
    SDN
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#3)
    For the last time, Zork, I will not take payment in exchange for game slots.

    You could always hold off on your game until you think the demand will be met instead of trying to restrict it so that people have no choice but to play yours.
    I read that first sentence a few times and it's still going over my head *shrugs*

    It's not that people would have no choice but to play mine...for a 13er or 21er there would be at least one alternative by another host available. Players who prefer one host over another might sit out one week to play in the one the next week that their preferred host offers.

    This is about ensuring games fill. Obviously if someone is hogging multiple weeks and they never get enough signers they'd be asked to take a step back or host a 13er or something. I already enforce this on myself by scaling back in times of "famine," so to speak :-)
    Most games fill.

    Some times of the year fill less than others, but most games fill.

    Having unusual rules may make players hesitate. Having longer than normal phases may make players hesitate.

    Some players prefer not having to sit out a week due to limitations that are usually unnecessary. It would create an artificial pressure to join games early or potentially miss out if this were instituted year round when, for the majority of the time, it's unnecessary.

    The games you pointed out having not filled yet? 96/48 phases in one game. Your game has stricter rules regarding posting than some, and is a larger game with a more unusual rule set.
    Yes I am offcially more annoying than navi. Misson accomplished. - Fable

    i have deep seated lust for villager from animal crossing - Cory

  10. ISO #10
    Wants It More Zork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,739
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Gender
    Fair points

  11. ISO #11
    1610 mendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,863
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#3)
    For the last time, Zork, I will not take payment in exchange for game slots.

    You could always hold off on your game until you think the demand will be met instead of trying to restrict it so that people have no choice but to play yours.
    I read that first sentence a few times and it's still going over my head *shrugs*

    It's not that people would have no choice but to play mine...for a 13er or 21er there would be at least one alternative by another host available. Players who prefer one host over another might sit out one week to play in the one the next week that their preferred host offers.

    This is about ensuring games fill. Obviously if someone is hogging multiple weeks and they never get enough signers they'd be asked to take a step back or host a 13er or something. I already enforce this on myself by scaling back in times of "famine," so to speak :-)
    Most games fill.

    Some times of the year fill less than others, but most games fill.

    Having unusual rules may make players hesitate. Having longer than normal phases may make players hesitate.

    Some players prefer not having to sit out a week due to limitations that are usually unnecessary. It would create an artificial pressure to join games early or potentially miss out if this were instituted year round when, for the majority of the time, it's unnecessary.

    The games you pointed out having not filled yet? 96/48 phases in one game. Your game has stricter rules regarding posting than some, and is a larger game with a more unusual rule set.
    it's large setup was 75% scumsided (said Zork), and the smaller version still looks quite scumsided, with 4 scum vs 9 town
    September Paint & Drabble -- reserve signups welcome!
    Makaze does not enjoy killing the women who date him.

  12. ISO #12
    Wants It More Zork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,739
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#11)
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#3)
    For the last time, Zork, I will not take payment in exchange for game slots.

    You could always hold off on your game until you think the demand will be met instead of trying to restrict it so that people have no choice but to play yours.
    I read that first sentence a few times and it's still going over my head *shrugs*

    It's not that people would have no choice but to play mine...for a 13er or 21er there would be at least one alternative by another host available. Players who prefer one host over another might sit out one week to play in the one the next week that their preferred host offers.

    This is about ensuring games fill. Obviously if someone is hogging multiple weeks and they never get enough signers they'd be asked to take a step back or host a 13er or something. I already enforce this on myself by scaling back in times of "famine," so to speak :-)
    Most games fill.

    Some times of the year fill less than others, but most games fill.

    Having unusual rules may make players hesitate. Having longer than normal phases may make players hesitate.

    Some players prefer not having to sit out a week due to limitations that are usually unnecessary. It would create an artificial pressure to join games early or potentially miss out if this were instituted year round when, for the majority of the time, it's unnecessary.

    The games you pointed out having not filled yet? 96/48 phases in one game. Your game has stricter rules regarding posting than some, and is a larger game with a more unusual rule set.
    it's large setup was 75% scumsided (said Zork), and the smaller version still looks quite scumsided, with 4 scum vs 9 town
    yeah, 4 teams, 25% chance for each to win, so that everyone has a roughly equal chance of winning no matter what role is randed :-)

    When it's just Mafia and Town I do strive mightily for 50%...and to me variance is not a big deal, it's nice if I can reduce it, and I do try, but balance is my top priority.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Keyboard Shortcuts

about us
Mafia Universe is a community hub for people who enjoy playing the forum variant of Mafia (also known as Werewolf). We offer fully automated Mafia games and a wide variety of customized features crafted to optimize your game experience. We also proudly host the Internet's only database of Mafia/Werewolf communities.

We hope you stick around!
Role of the Day
Ritualist

The Ritualist may once during the game at any time choose to self-sacrifice and die in return for having a dead player of their own choosing be resurrected.