Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Serenes Forest
    AKA
    Mak Daddy
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    I think of it as "we should have fun and be fair while doing it" instead of "we should be fair even if it is not fun".

If that makes sense.
    I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

[12:09 pm] Cory Curren: remember that we are marking down all of your reads to hold for our personal amusement
    [12:09 pm] Cory Curren: anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of lol

2. ISO #102
    Timezone
    UTC+10:30
    Community
    Westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by mhsmith0 (#92)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma (#84)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief (#3)
    Changing course for a minute, the other yearslong debate in Champs is whether the series as a whole is primarily a tournament designed to find the best mafia players out there or whether it's more of a social event. This question has been asked and answered by none other than Thingy himself (primarily a social event)
    That doesn't make sense? Only "the best" proceed and even if you have 140 people who are there for social reasons and 20 people who are there to compete, the 20 people who are there to compete are going to be disproportionately represented in the later stages of the event, which makes the format inherently competitive, no?
    I think it does make sense? There are a lot of "competitive" events where the real purpose is to get people together to have fun in a social environment, as opposed to being fundamentally about finding the best player / crowning a champion / etc.

Like, if I get a group of neighbors together to have a poker tournament, PART of it is about the play and the money, but i think more of it is about just getting together to do something fun.
    Right. I think I interpreted the statement wrongly because he was talking about design, but he meant something slightly different.

3. ISO #103
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Brainstorming here about helping players adjust better, while being more social:

* Have two weekends of turbos before the first game starts! Rotating schedules, anyone can join, but champs nominees and subs preferred! This is nice because most people can make time for a turbo, you get to know some people you might later meet in your qualifier, and you get used to feeling overwhelmed by the speed of a game.

* Make a setup with more masons. I know the balance issues, but what I'm hoping for is giving town players a trusted chat where they can find their feet. It is kinda chancey because there is no guarantee that a masonry will gel and be effective.

* Ambassadors. Explicitly task players who have played champs before or play here regularly with making newcomers welcome and helping them find their feet. The task of the ambassadors would be to lead the quieter newcomers into expressing the issues they're having, and help them cope. My first thought was to have players in that qualifier do it itt, even though that might affect gameplay, but perhaps it could be done as a mentor/mentee relationship that starts before the game and extends into approximately one third of the first day phase. The mentor should refrain from expressing their own reads.
    Mad 17 D1 Massclaim - Champs flavor -- looking for subs!
    How to slank in Mafia games -- share your experiences!
    Makaze does not enjoy killing the women who date him.

4. ISO #104
    Timezone
    Community
    Westeros
    • One suggestion that we haven’t seen before is to change the distribution of points for position in voting. (i.e. 1st = 10pts, 2nd= 6pts, 3rd = 4pts)
    • A recommended change to the post-game voting prompt that multiple people suggested was to bring back the hypothetical of “How much would I want this player on my team in a hypothetical future game, to ensure the greatest chance of winning?”
    I hope it's not rude of me to comment when I haven't been a part of champs at all. Judging by this quote, under the current system votes are counted as 1 vote for an individual, and that's it? The weighted points system proposed in the quote I think has a lot more merit than that, drawing from personal experience with blind clinical experiments (which are designed to be as noise-free as possible), as well as a variety of different voting/ranking systems I've encountered over the years in professional and non-professional settings.

As for the second dot-point: yeah. Wording of questionnaires is obviously a big part of removing bias. Kind of in the same territory as coaching jurors I think.

Also am not sure if this is a thing you do already, but you'd be injecting a lot of bias into the equation with post-game discussions / open obs chat, so if you want to eliminate bias from the voting system then I think that would be a place to look at too, whether disallowing post-game or preventing eligible voters from talking with other eligible voters or something else. But I guess this would enter into the territory of valuing the competitive intentions of the event over the social ones.
    Last edited by Gemma; November 14th, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

5. ISO #105
    Community
    Gamefaqs
    the current weights are 1st = 5pts, 2nd = 4pts, 3rd = 3pts, 4th = 2pts, it was just a proposal to change the scaling

right, preventing any talk at all would mean no players joining graveyard/spectator chat and locking the thread upon game completion, which goes heavily against the spirit of the event and likely lead to almost no community retention since if players couldn't chat, they would probably just leave and never come back to MU. it'd be a step too far unless you wanted to lean hardcore into competitive.

6. ISO #106
    Timezone
    Community
    Westeros
    Yeah, okay. Sorry for wasting your time with my post then.

7. ISO #107
    Community
    Gamefaqs

8. ISO #108
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give smith another day mhsmith0's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    PlayDiplomacy, MafiaScum
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Entire SECONDS of my life have been wasted on something or other, I demand JUSTICE

Life is simply unfair... don't you think?
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=mhsmith0

BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me