Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to slank in Mafia games

1. ISO #1
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Question How to slank in Mafia games

Slanking means not playing up to your full potential.
    Low-Posting means not meeting (or barely meeting) the minimum posting requirement.

This guide is about slanking without low-posting. Good slanking is making substantive posts with limited time.

Well, we don't have a slanking guide, but if he had one, what would be in it?

Why slank at all?
    Sometimes, you find yourself in a situation where you have very little time to expend on a mafia. You might be multitabling and have underestimated the effort required for one important game, so you have to dial down the others; or something came up in RL and you have to phone it in for a while; or you're simply overwhelmed by a game, but don't want to let the everyone down and sub out. If you need to play to the minimum requirements, what's the best way to do it?

You could, of course, start $#@!posting. The problem with that is that it makes the game worse for everyone else. Let's assume we accept that our own game experience isn't going to be the best, but we don't want to ruin it for everyone else. So another perspective for this guide that doesn't exist would be, if you have a low-posting player in your game, and you accept that they can't step up their activity, what do you want them to do or avoid?

Subbing out is always unpleasant because a big part of mafia is reading other players, and that means getting to know them, and if you sub out, everyone else needs to get to know someone new, and the sub-in has missed out on the get-to-know phase and faces a dificult start. Game strategies may hinge on player personalities, so subbing out may ruin some other players' carefully laid plans, which is no fun at all. Ruining other people's plans should happen through gameplay, not subbing! It's usually preferable to keep playing with low effort, rather than to be replaced. Your host will certainly enjoy it more.

And maybe the guide should have a special section for mashes, too.
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Definition Box
    Finding out who you are is important.
    How to slank in Mafia games -- share your experiences!

2. ISO #2
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    One thing I have done as spectator, and could imagine doing as player, is the Secondhand Strategy: pick two or three players whom I like, and just read their ISOs, which drastically reduces the amount of game I need to read. I get a feeling for the game state without having to read everything.

The Ovine Strategy would be to just pick a player and sheep them. This seems bad because the other players will then assume that either a) we're mechanically linked, or b) I am scum trying to hide my alignment. That is not what the Secondhand Strategy is about.

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Face it, if you're slanking, you're probably not going to be the player who solves the game. Your biggest task is to not stand in the way of other players who do solve (unless you're a wolf, of course): be readable, so they can sort you.

1. Embrace shallow reads! Any kinds of reads are better than no reads. Talk about other players.
    2. Vote! Players can read your alliances off votes.
    3. Interact! Give other players your reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ara
    The main thing in mashes, besides mechanical stuff though, that people are cleared off of is *interactions!!*
    Spend more of your limited time on interactions, and less on analysis than you normally would. Edit: see P#21! Write! You know you're going to shallow, and probably wrong, but if you don't write, you're not there, and nobody can play with you. Someone who is there and plays badly is more fun than someone who is reading and thinking hard, but absent.

Scum Slanking
    As a mafia, your partners should probably dictate your strategy: since you're committing to shallow reads anyway, buddy/distance etc. to work with their strategy. Explain to them you'll be doing that, and accept their guidance. It's their game, don't ruin it for them. If you oppose their strategy, you'll have to put in the effort to push a better strategy, so see it as a learning experience for them if you feel they're doing worse than you would if you had time. Support your team by not ruining their fun. If they're not winning, a big reason is probably that they randed a partner who slanks (you), so let them at least lose on their own terms. If they're good and you support them well, they may even carry you to a win!

Slanking to LYLO
    If you're slanking, chances are the mafia will let you reach LYLO because you're not a threat, and can be manipulated since you lack information. First of all, relax. You avoided getting mislynched, which already helped your team; they didn't find the last wolf either, so you can call them hypocrites if they blame you for losing the game. This is the time where the Ovine Strategy comes in: Sheep the dead players! You know you can trust them because they already flipped town, and they might be agonizing in dead-chat because they feel they solved the game, and the slank (you) is going to ruin it by voting with the "obvious" wolf instead. Don't ruin their fun! The wolves probably killed them for a reason, so go with their best guess. It's based on a better grasp of the game than you had, and you'll do what the dead player wishes they could have done, so you'll win or fail together. Nothing is worse than finding the obvious wolf, die, and then have the slank screw it up. If you reach LYLO as a wolf, you already know how to avoid getting lynched, just keep doing what you were doing. It's easier for you because any vote will be correct.

I really don't have a lot of experience at mafia, so other viewpoints/suggestions/corrections are very welcome!
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 10:07 AM.

4. ISO #4
    I for one am glad there are some game hosts on this site who actively vet players and prevent those who cannot or will not commit to a decent level of participation from signing up to some games.

And I feel a guide to promote slanking just gives unhealthy validation to a mindset that kills games.

Remember kids: mafia doesn't kill people; slanking does.
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies"

Jackofhearts2005: El analyses every single Achro post and gives the whole thing a massive scumread. Achro replies with one sentence and a frowny face. This game is over.

Helz: I have a very basic belief that if you are town, all you have to do is be honest; and people will be able to see you are town or they are bad at scum hunting.

5. ISO #5
    Although I'm lowkey thinking this is probably just a parody and I'm taking something seriously that's actually supposed to be a joke.

Jackofhearts2005: El analyses every single Achro post and gives the whole thing a massive scumread. Achro replies with one sentence and a frowny face. This game is over.

Helz: I have a very basic belief that if you are town, all you have to do is be honest; and people will be able to see you are town or they are bad at scum hunting.

6. ISO #6
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Message a ghost at Arapocalypse#0834!

[9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be Boq
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Wait for the principal in the cafeteria
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be offered coffee by the peeps there
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: "Nice"
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Grab a random mug. Enjoy your coffee. Notice that it says "principal's mug" on it

7. ISO #7
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4)
    I for one am glad there are some game hosts on this site who actively vet players and prevent those who cannot or will not commit to a decent level of participation from signing up to some games.

And I feel a guide to promote slanking just gives unhealthy validation to a mindset that kills games.

Why does slanking kill games? Serious question.
    If you can't actually address the issues, please take your insults elsewhere.

I'm not advocating signing up with the intent to slank. Have you read my openening paragraph at all?

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#6)
    1. Don't!
    Why not?

9. ISO #9
    Banned
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Let's all get along, folks. I think what the OP is trying to say is that slanking is not ideal, but sometimes life demands that we do it. The problem is when slanking becomes the norm, or even worse, the norm when we rand a particular alignment.

It's good to know how to handle all types of situations effectively, including but not limited to slanking.

10. ISO #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#7)
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...-the-THING-3-5

11. ISO #11
    Also dude, you are way too sensitive. My post was not an insult; it is my viewpoint on something you posted that you literally asked for viewpoints on. Maybe next time you should open with the caveat "only give your viewpoint if it's one I'll like" or simply don't ask for input at all?

12. ISO #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#9)
    Let's all get along, folks. I think what the OP is trying to say is that slanking is not ideal, but sometimes life demands that we do it. The problem is when slanking becomes the norm, or even worse, the norm when we rand a particular alignment.

It's good to know how to handle all types of situations effectively, including but not limited to slanking.
    IMO if you know activity is going to be an issue within the first couple of days, sub out. It's always going to be better to make a place for somebody who is able to commit to playing instead of trying to half-ass it for a potentially indeterminate amount of time. And possibly even if issues arrive later in the game, too.

I think the main issue isn't when one person slanks. That's usually not the end of the world. But when half the game does it, it becomes death to town WIM and almost inevitably ends with a number of players being forcibly replaced by the host anyway. "I'm unexpectedly busy so I'll slank until the end of the game" is a selfish mindset because if half the playerlist finds themselves unexpectedly busy it can tip the balance of the game. Better to sub out, IMO.

13. ISO #13
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#10)
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#7)
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...-the-THING-3-5
    From that game's postgame discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder (#3101)
    disappointing loss (and game, really)

losing a whole day thanks to modkills, plus all the integrity issues with subs

all the low posting and general not playing of the game

etc, etc

all that doesnt take way from a good performance by the surviving wolf, did a good job of fooling people for the most part

(we'll ignore the timezones outing them not being picked up)

gg all

hopefully subs can be banned and playerlists are curated for the next one
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#3121)
    It would've been more fun if everybody had roleplayed their characters.

That is all.

(also congrats to whoever the last wolf was, you carried your team and definitely deserved some victory. That said I think the six-million lurkers who got replaced and/or modkilled probably helped a whole lot, and I can't help but wonder if the outcome would've been the same if the whole of town had been active and... you know... not modkilled)
    5 players were replaced, and one modkilled for lowposting, of 17 in the setup. If these 6 players had seen the slanking guide, they might not have lowposted, and might not have needed to sub out. In an anon game, where players can switch identities, sub-outs are particularly disruptive.

The point of this guide is to show players that having little time does not need to result in "low-posting and general not playing of the game"; if you're slanking properly, you are not lowposting, and making yourself readable. This game demonstrates why we NEED this guide, because it promotes slanking properly instead of just lowposting and ruining the game for everyone else.

If there were other issues with the slankers in that game except the "not playing", could you please write about them?
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 10:17 AM.

14. ISO #14
    I'll just say that I will never support a guide that promotes playing sub-optimally and let someone else have the floor.

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#9)

IMO if you know activity is going to be an issue within the first couple of days, sub out. It's always going to be better to make a place for somebody who is able to commit to playing instead of trying to half-ass it for a potentially indeterminate amount of time. And possibly even if issues arrive later in the game, too.

I think the main issue isn't when one person slanks. That's usually not the end of the world. But when half the game does it, it becomes death to town WIM and almost inevitably ends with a number of players being forcibly replaced by the host anyway. "I'm unexpectedly busy so I'll slank until the end of the game" is a selfish mindset because if half the playerlist finds themselves unexpectedly busy it can tip the balance of the game. Better to sub out, IMO.
    It seems to me that this decision would best be left up to the host. How would you react as a host if a player PMed you and said, "something came up and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the game. I'll keep posting, but I'll be much less active. If you want to sub me out, I'm ok with that."?

I have to say that there hasn't been a big game where I managed to every post. I dont think anyone complained. I'm definitely not going to manage that in a mash. And I'm not the only one.

I see your point that there maybe a slank threshold where the game becomes unplayable. My hope is that if everyone solves a little bit, town can still put up a fight, and I believe Mashes should prove that, but I don't have any experience with them. Thoughts?

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#14)
    I'll just say that I will never support a guide that promotes playing sub-optimally and let someone else have the floor.
    The point is that the guide promotes better play than just low-posting and dropping out. It's about playing optimally if you're time-constrained. I resent the notion that players should be ostracized for valuing their real life and mental health higher than playing an online game, and this guide is about making the tradeoffs required to balance both in a way that is best for everyone else.

Provocatively put, I will not support the notion that you have to be addicted to mafia to play here. (Ironically, mafia addiction leads to multitabling, and that leads to time constraints again!)

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    If you feel discouraged by the hostility expressed in this thread, I invite you to PM me, and I will summarize your points anonymously.
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 04:33 AM.

18. ISO #18
    Timezone
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    This guide tells me what to do and how to play in a way to not ruin the game for others, when I don't have much time to spare for the game suddenly.

How to make myself be interactable with and readable for others townies, or how to not ruin game for others mafias, or how to make the active dead townies not hate me for "ruining the game" if I'm alive at lylo.

Everything is geared towards how to make the game more fun and enjoyable for the rest of the players, there is nothing here that's "suggesting people to not play fully" - anyone who thinks that hasn't even read it imo.

That second hand strategy and that lylo strategy - those I found kinda cool, and I might use them if I'm ever in such a unfortunate situation where I would need it.

Here is highlighted the one part that feels wrong to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#3)
    Spend more of your limited time on interactions, and less on analysis than you normally would. Write! You know you're going to shallow, and probably wrong, but if you don't write, you're not there, and nobody can play with you. Someone who is there and plays badly is more fun than someone who is reading and thinking hard, but absent.
    That part could have been left out I feel because that part really does suggest straight up bad play.
    I like cats and don't like dogs.

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    AKA
    Lukundo
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    AKA
    Lukundo
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Upon actual reading it doesn’t actually seem $#@! and I’d like to retract that statement

21. ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by mansnicks (#18)
    This guide tells me what to do and how to play in a way to not ruin the game for others, when I don't have much time to spare for the game suddenly.

How to make myself be interactable with and readable for others townies, or how to not ruin game for others mafias, or how to make the active dead townies not hate me for "ruining the game" if I'm alive at lylo.

Everything is geared towards how to make the game more fun and enjoyable for the rest of the players, there is nothing here that's "suggesting people to not play fully" - anyone who thinks that hasn't even read it imo.

That second hand strategy and that lylo strategy - those I found kinda cool, and I might use them if I'm ever in such a unfortunate situation where I would need it.

Here is highlighted the one part that feels wrong to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#3)
    Spend more of your limited time on interactions, and less on analysis than you normally would. Write! You know you're going to shallow, and probably wrong, but if you don't write, you're not there, and nobody can play with you. Someone who is there and plays badly is more fun than someone who is reading and thinking hard, but absent.
    That part could have been left out I feel because that part really does suggest straight up bad play.
    Thank you for your feedback!

I think you're right with your criticism. What that comes across as is not what I intended.
    What I had in my mind was: it's no use if you sit there and try to get to the same grasp of the game state that you normally would, and then you analyse and don't have time to write because you don't ever get to point where you'd normally feel comfortable to do it. And obviously at that point, you're spending proportionally more time on analysis than you usually would, so what you really have to do is not do less analysis than normal, but dial it back to where it ought to be. In short, if you are short on time, cut analysis and interactions equally. You have to come to terms that you need to cut your thinking time, which makes you feel less secure, and dissatisfied with yourself that your play will be suboptimal. But you have to embrace that and own it, because otherwise all the time cuts come from writing and interactions, which means you no longer have a presence in the game, which means from the perspective of the other players, you are no longer playing with them.

The idea is, instead of turning into a low-poster, it's better to turn into a somewhat worse player than you usually are, and that's more fun for everybody.
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    1. Don't!
    "Don't sign up to a game when you know in advance you're not going to have time for it!"
    Except sometimes you have 8 players excited for a 9-player game to get going, and if you sign up, they can play, "you'll just have to slank a little". And I think that's a tough decision, even if you leave it up to the host, because they're all set to want to get this game going. And then you're going to have a long hard look at whether it's better to cancel a game that almost got going, or to compromise and take some players on board who won't play up to their full potential. (That's actually a pretty good definition. I should put that in the OP.) I don't think that's an easy decision, and we tend to not want to make the tough choice and cancel the game. What would you do?
    Last edited by mendel; November 11th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    - slanking deprives someone else of the chance to shine (sub out ASAP)
    - champs is often a player's first experience with a high-volume game, strategies for adjusting to that would be VERY helpful for this guide, and vice versa

How did you adjust to high-volume games? What changed in your playstyle?
    How do you adjust to mashes?

24. ISO #24
    Mantichora's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    MiniMafia
    1. Don't!
    "Don't sign up to a game when you know in advance you're not going to have time for it!"
    Except sometimes you have 8 players excited for a 9-player game to get going, and if you sign up, they can play, "you'll just have to slank a little". And I think that's a tough decision, even if you leave it up to the host, because they're all set to want to get this game going. And then you're going to have a long hard look at whether it's better to cancel a game that almost got going, or to compromise and take some players on board who won't play up to their full potential. (That's actually a pretty good definition. I should put that in the OP.) I don't think that's an easy decision, and we tend to not want to make the tough choice and cancel the game. What would you do?
    Run an 8er

25. ISO #25
    The CEO Apoc's Avatar Game Manager
    The point of this guide is to show players that having little time does not need to result in "low-posting and general not playing of the game"; if you're slanking properly, you are not lowposting, and making yourself readable. This game demonstrates why we NEED this guide,
    well then some would argue...you aren't slanking in this case

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Forum Paradox
    Just be brave and post Haikus
    Always gets it done.

27. ISO #27
    Banned
    Timezone

28. ISO #28
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#23)
    Championship Notes
    - slanking deprives someone else of the chance to shine (sub out ASAP)
    - champs is often a player's first experience with a high-volume game, strategies for adjusting to that would be VERY helpful for this guide, and vice versa

How did you adjust to high-volume games? What changed in your playstyle?
    How do you adjust to mashes?
    ah, so you want to know how to play like a champion eh?

well lucky for you i wrote a guide on this years ago

---------------------------------------------------------

How to Play Mafia Like a Champion

After collaboration with many well respected mafia and werewolf players from the joined communities here at MU we have decided to release are critically acclaimed guide to excellent mafia play. I'd like to take a moment first to thank some of the brilliant minds that helped develop this amazing tool:

• Thingy Hot Angles' Man
    • Lissa 'If only I read the thread!' 2
    • No 'hasn't provided useful content in 5 years' Lynches
    • Yates
    • Warman
    • Originally gamerguy was supposed to fill this slot but apparently he was too busy

How to Play Villager:
    Many players have differing ideas on how to play a successful village game, however we have gathered these top tips backed by statistical analysis done by our resident GOAT, Yates. (don't feed the goat).

Insult other villagers and make them feel worthless:
    Ever thought, "Hey, none of these dropkicks are listening to me. I am the GOAT, they need to bow down to the only person in the game with an IQ above clinically braindead."

Sure you have. And we have the solution. Insult them, blame everything on them. Break them down into tiny pieces until they cry and post sad messages about how you have affected their life. Make sure they understand that their presence on earth is wasting your time and sucking out precious oxygen for the rest of us. By crushing their spirit and breaking their belief they will be more willing to listen to your every word and you'll finally be able to win the game for your team (if you don't get strong player killed first for using such amazing tactics). Chicks love it when you insult them.

Playing to the Spirit of the Game:
    Don't be this guy.

Reading the Thread:
    This is the same treatment they use against prisoners in Guantanamo, don't treat yourself like that.

Use Buzzwords like soab, GLGL, bub and acronyms that nobody actually knows the meaning of:
    Confound your opponents with words that only a mafia god like yourself actually knows the meaning of (or at least pretend you do). If you know the lingo you can mess with the best. Dropping racist and sexist terms also proves how learned and knowledgeable you are and we recommend using them often to show your superiority.

Use your admin privileges to check the scum teams:
    Our boy Yates has found an exciting new strategy, this one is hot off the press. Now, this one can be a bit difficult to set up (might require sucking of 0-2 $#@!s - depends how generous thingy is feeling at the time) but with some prime sucking you too can gain access to the admin role, and with your new found powers you can also check who the scum is playing against you. We recommend you start slow, reading them scum for strange reasons and then graduate to simply just reading them scum immediately and clearing townies for nothing at all. People will be so much in awe of your skills that they won't even think to question how you suddenly got so good. Make sure to discredit all your distractors and send them death threats in private to make sure they stay quiet.
    An expert level strat is to continue viewing the scum chats even after you have been alerted to tracking being provided in the private threads. Those peasants won't dare out you, you are a GOD.

How to Play Wolf:

Sub the $#@! out: Playing wolf brings joy to no one. You are better than this, $#@! that bitchass punk that randed you wolf. Sub out and make sure to claim some terrible real life reason that is completely unverifiable. Playing wolf is BENEATH YOU. It ruins your stats, and where's the fun in the game when you actually have to do something? Nowhere, exactly. Make sure to join the next running game immediately to show that bitch you won't be fazed.

Tank your game: By posting like a child on the extreme of the spectrum (you know which one soab) you can get your wolf game finished as quickly as possible so you can literally post a coherent word and be read village next time you play as a villager. We also recommend fraleying your game as a villager if for some reason you want to get good as a wolf.

Get yourself Modkilled: This one can also apply to being a villager if the game is going poorly and you don't want to get schooled any more than you already have, but 'accidentally' posting quotes from wolfchat in the thread and getting the game reranded or finished will not only save your stats, but also your reputation. Alternatively you can just modkill yourself by quoting your role PM and that will allow you to move on to the next game quick smart.

Lurk: Why waste your time with the other strategies when you can simply not post? This requires you to spend zero time on the game and still get the desired result.

Postgame Management: Nobody can catch you, you are the GOD wolf. Make sure to call everyone who called you scum a button clicker and tell them they got lucky. Tell them they suck and that they should learn to play the game. Don't respond to any of their responses and simply report any future posts by them as flaming and trolling. If you won, drag your balls over the villagers faces, and over your other wolves to remind them how much they suck compared to you. If you lost, blame the game balance and the host for a broken game, blame luck for bad night actions and blame your team especially for not being good enough to do 1% of the work after you did the other 99%.

With these tips, you too can be a champion!

29. ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantichora (#24)
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#22)
    1. Don't!
    Run an 8er
    but... balance...

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#13)
    The point of this guide is to show players that having little time does not need to result in "low-posting and general not playing of the game"; if you're slanking properly, you are not lowposting, and making yourself readable. This game demonstrates why we NEED this guide,
    well then some would argue...you aren't slanking in this case
    Well, what am I doing, then?
    Or rather, do you have a word for it?

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Yes. You don't have to think when you sign up. Getting the balance right is key.

33. ISO #33
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Slank if you can but there's a difference between slanking and not high posting

:wiwe

34. ISO #34
    Banned
    Timezone
    Back in my day on 2+2 before everyone got short attention spans and cell phones with a million apps competing for their attention, we all sat down to a desktop computer and played werewolf and actually read every post and did multiquotes with deep analysis of every jot and tittle. A heavy poster by MU standards was a moderately light poster by a decade ago 2+2 standards.
    Last edited by Zork; November 12th, 2019 at 03:00 AM.

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas (#33)
    Slank if you can but there's a difference between slanking and not high posting

What is the difference?
    Last edited by mendel; November 12th, 2019 at 06:46 AM.

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Back in my day on 2+2 before everyone got short attention spans and cell phones with a million apps competing for their attention, we all sat down to a desktop computer and played werewolf and actually read every post and did multiquotes with deep analysis of every jot and tittle. A heavy poster by MU standards was a moderately light poster by a decade ago 2+2 standards.
    I am not sure I understand you here. I don't think that, with an approach like you describe, it's possible to make 200 posts on day 1 (heavy poster by MU standards today). It might be different if you compare word count.

The problem is that with these fast-moving games we have on MU, this "read every post and think" approach won't work unless you pour huge amounts of time into it, and it can't work on mashes. So one way to see this guide is, what do you do if you're used to "read every post and think", but find that you can't do it on MU?
    How did you make that adjustment, Zork?

37. ISO #37
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    2+2 pog and epicmafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#34)
    I am not sure I understand you here. I don't think that, with an approach like you describe, it's possible to make 200 posts on day 1 (heavy poster by MU standards today). It might be different if you compare word count.

The problem is that with these fast-moving games we have on MU, this "read every post and think" approach won't work unless you pour huge amounts of time into it, and it can't work on mashes. So one way to see this guide is, what do you do if you're used to "read every post and think", but find that you can't do it on MU?
    i averaged over 25k posts a year at one point iirc

38. ISO #38
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Low-Posting means not meeting (or barely meeting) the minimum posting requirement.

This guide is about slanking without low-posting. Good slanking is making substantive posts with limited time.
    The op said this and then everyone complained about low posting instead anyway.

This feels like a topic I can actually offer some good advice in when I have some time later.

I was going to leave the post at that and then thought lel this is a live example. Keeping the thread informed of where you're at and what you're thinking even when the content is seemingly useless can help establish your existence in a game you're falling behind in. Some people might find you annoying for it, but job 1 as either alignment is to make people think you're a villager, not to look intelligent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#1)

This feels like a topic I can actually offer some good advice in when I have some time later.

I was going to leave the post at that and then thought lel this is a live example. Keeping the thread informed of where you're at and what you're thinking even when the content is seemingly useless can help establish your existence in a game you're falling behind in. Some people might find you annoying for it, but job 1 as either alignment is to make people think you're a villager, not to look intelligent.
    Well, I put that in the OP because everyone complained about low-posting; it wasn't there initially, but the feedback showed it needed to be. Your insight here is very well put.

40. ISO #40
    Banned
    Timezone
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork (#34)

"It might be different if you compare word count." This...but more precisely if you contrast the substantive-ness, which correlates highly but not perfectly with word count.

I'm not saying it was ever necessarily possible to read every post and think in a mash, but if everyone had to play on a keyboard you'd see the quality of the games go way up.

In other words, 10 years ago, a minority of the game posts were tweet-length. Today it is the vast majority. This is because a lot of folks are like me, who can post north of 60 wpm on a keyboard (105 in my case, if I may brag), but on a phone we are ordinary peasants.

41. ISO #41
    Banned
    Timezone

I just disagree with OP's premise that making substantive posts with limited time is any kind of slanking at all, good or bad. Making substantive posts with limited time is what we all do or at least should be doing. Very few of us are trust fund babies with unlimited time.

42. ISO #42
    Banned
    Timezone

I've never gotten good at figuring out who are villagers and who are wolves, but what I have gotten much better at is posting villagery in both alignments, especially when I really am Town. This allows those who are better at reading to help us win the game when we are both Town, which is most of the time.

43. ISO #43
    Keldeo's D2 Curse Panini's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

I think the issue here is that most of the time the term slanking isn't used in the way you define it above, ime. Colloquially I see "slanking" thrown around a lot in the same vein as "lurking", although the latter has more of an [actively choosing not to participate] implication. Slanking passes a bit less judgement and can be used to reference IRL difficulties stopping thread contact entirely, as well as what lurking refers to e.g:

• "Slank cover: I have to be somewhere tomorrow and won't post until EOD"
    • "I think [X] is a good shot because they've been poorly engaged and slanking the entire game"

Are both common usages and make sense even though one is accusatory and the other is self-referentially explaining an absence. Sure, they both imply that the person in question is not living up to their potential, but the associated reason for that is understood to be because they haven't been posting a lot or putting effort in their posts.

Basically I don't think it makes much sense to say "non lowposting slank" because all slankers are low posters/low effort and once you break away from that you're no longer slanking. If that makes sense?

So I think the title that you're looking for is not so much how to slank but actually the complete opposite: How NOT to slank when you're low on time. Or an even better alternative and something I think would be more broadly applicable: How to be efficient with your play time.

That way the focus is more on insights into what you should prioritize and what makes for a good baseline understanding of a game and we stay away from the idea that low posting and phoning in a game you signed up for is acceptable, because it like, isn't and that's not what I think you're advocating for (or at least I hope it's not) but the way you're putting it is potentially unclear imo.
    Last edited by Panini; November 13th, 2019 at 07:21 PM.

44. ISO #44
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    oh $#@! eod in 4 minutes someone tell me who to vote
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

45. ISO #45
    Banned
    Timezone
    oh $#@! eod in 4 minutes someone tell me who to vote
    exactly

46. ISO #46
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    I don't really care what terminology you apply to it. I'm mostly a limited time low effort player and I've managed to find relative success in mashes phone posting one-liners in short spurts that probably don't add up to an hour per day phase. Relative in this sense might just mean surviving clear out the cannon fodder phase and being hard to take down late game, but my alternative option is usually to not play at all, and I enjoy Werewolf too much to retire just because my life no longer permits thread dominance and extensive analysis.

Throw yourself out there and type exactly what's on your mind. Any time spent thinking about what you want to say can be spent narrating that thought process out loud instead. A demonstration that the gears are grinding can mark you as a villager even if you're way too uninformed to reach a meaningful conclusion out of it.

Follow up on things you say and engage with the people who express reads on you. Remember, you're cannon fodder. Wolves see easy prey and want to put you on shots lists. They don't actually want you to respond to their questions and call-outs. Villagers want to figure out your alignment. Forcing people who thought you were going to roll over and die into adaptation and progression puts wolves in an awkward spot. There's an art to utilizing your inaction to bait scumbags. Ctrl+F yourself.

15 minutes in real time can yield more insight than an hour of catch-up. Take some moments to just soak in the flow of the game. I've never met a wolf who couldn't fake an opinion, but a scumbag's instinct is to craft a cohesive and viable narrative. When you witness players evolving and adapting to new content live, you're much more likely to achieve a level of intuitive certainty on a few of them that's almost never wrong. Often these will be the next villagers in line to eat scum bullets, but being able to call a few people team mates beyond a reasonable doubt is going to significantly boost your own confidence and also give you some reads to sheep when you're in a pinch and need to shoot or vote someone fast.
    Last edited by Shad; November 13th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

47. ISO #47
    bbt's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    AKA
    Eifie, zeep
    I've never met a wolf who couldn't fake an opinion
    hi, I don't believe we've met
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#122)
    bbtbh wolf because bbt actually made reads
    Quote Originally Posted by roro__b (#24)
    bbt would never be less than 100% serious!!

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    @Shad, you're nominated for co-editor of this guide! My take is from the drawing-room, yours is from the trenches, and that's just so much better. I especially liked reading "my alternative option is usually to not play at all, and I enjoy Werewolf too much to retire just because my life no longer permits thread dominance and extensive analysis", because I think that highlights the core change in focus that you have to adapt your play around.

I think that's part of the Championship culture shock as well: the people on your homesite with the long cycles and low speed sent you to the championship because you analyse well and dominate threads, and then you get thrown in a different environment and find you no longer can. Ideally, you'd express this re-adjustment (and the thoughts of inadequacy that come with it) in the thread, but you don't know these people, and some are going to be hostile and waiting to lynch you for weaknesses, and that can make it hard to find your feet.

[Maybe that is part of why Champs is wolf-sided. In wolfchat, it's easier to decompress and adjust, and with 4 wolves, chances are there's an experienced, adjusted player who can stabilize the group. Maybe.]

Shad, what do you do when you rand wolf?

49. ISO #49
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate
    Basically I don't think it makes much sense to say "non lowposting slank" because all slankers are low posters/low effort and once you break away from that you're no longer slanking. If that makes sense?

So I think the title that you're looking for is not so much how to slank but actually the complete opposite: How NOT to slank when you're low on time. Or an even better alternative and something I think would be more broadly applicable: How to be efficient with your play time.
    What I'm trying to establish here is the idea that low-posting and low-effort are not the same. The title needs to embrace, "Yes, I don't put in 'enough' effort, now what do I do?", and the answer can't be, "put in more effort". And when I embrace that I won't have enough time and will be playing differently as a result, I'd call that "slanking". "How to be efficient with your play time" sounds like a good sub-title, though!

50. ISO #50
    Mantichora's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    MiniMafia
    ok boomer