Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
Results 4,151 to 4,162 of 4162

Thread: Hydra Event 2019: Game 4

1. ISO #4151
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#4142)
    To address the sub situation in general, it was... not ideal; the Creature and TwiszTed subs were put off due to them not being able to find hydra partner heads, which resulted in Sora still being in the game to post the post about subbing, and also had empty slots where they should have been filled earlier!

In short: I could have handled that better, my bad!!
    TBF that wasn't on you. Whether it took 5 minutes or 5 days to find a replacement, that slot shouldn't have posted a single thing more in the thread once they decided to sub out. Though I do wonder if there's a way for hosts/mods to 'suspend' a player from posting in a game once they've requested to sub, by making them inactive or something? It could help prevent future game integrity violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena (#4145)
    Also, lol, I had a bad feeling you were going to link Disenchant for the bad town!El game. ;-; We were all so awful that game.
    Haha yeah, that game will be my go-to game whenever I need an example of how mafia should NOT be played :\ You were OK there IMO, but between the server crash losing us posts, several of us tunnelling other players, the subs, PRs outting each other and Kiana faking a redcheck on Soneji, it was a mess.

2. ISO #4152
    Oh, and I forgot one important thing.

Massive props to @Jaleb and @CrimsonFox for managing to come across as pure town despite almost exclusively posting nothing but cat gifs. Even when I was ISOing you on D3 and purposely looking for scummy stuff that might mean you could be W/W with one of Phone or Ted, I couldn't find much at all. that was quite a feat you pulled off!

3. ISO #4153
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4151)
    To address the sub situation in general, it was... not ideal; the Creature and TwiszTed subs were put off due to them not being able to find hydra partner heads, which resulted in Sora still being in the game to post the post about subbing, and also had empty slots where they should have been filled earlier!

TBF that wasn't on you. Whether it took 5 minutes or 5 days to find a replacement, that slot shouldn't have posted a single thing more in the thread once they decided to sub out. Though I do wonder if there's a way for hosts/mods to 'suspend' a player from posting in a game once they've requested to sub, by making them inactive or something? It could help prevent future game integrity violations.

Also, lol, I had a bad feeling you were going to link Disenchant for the bad town!El game. ;-; We were all so awful that game.
    Haha yeah, that game will be my go-to game whenever I need an example of how mafia should NOT be played :\ You were OK there IMO, but between the server crash losing us posts, several of us tunnelling other players, the subs, PRs outting each other and Kiana faking a redcheck on Soneji, it was a mess.
    i have not had a problem with a player continuing to post until a sub-in became available
    you can't prevent rule breaks through technology

4. ISO #4154
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#4153)

i have not had a problem with a player continuing to post until a sub-in became available
    If a player is able to continue posting until a sub is available then I would argue that the sub system is not being used as it should.

5. ISO #4155
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4154)
    Quote Originally Posted by mendel (#4153)

If a player is able to continue posting until a sub is available then I would argue that the sub system is not being used as it should.
    I remember getting told that during a turbo. I posted the mafia team after I requested sub (I was town) but message got sent too late.

6. ISO #4156
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    It is possible to mute players in a game thread to not allow them to post further, which is something I'll be pushing for after sub requests moving forward!

7. ISO #4157
    ༼ つ ;-; ༽つ give smith another day mhsmith0's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    PlayDiplomacy, MafiaScum
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    I guess the flip side is that it can be very damaging to a game state (possibly to the point of actively hurting game integrity) if a slot is 0 posting for over a game phase and a sub cannot be found. If as a host you can't find a sub, should you just ask the player to keep playing and posting until you can? Is that better or worse than letting them 0 post and letting people wonder wtf is going on and whether someone is lurking or they tried to sub out but the host couldn't or wouldn't find one (side note: this was something i was actively thinking about in the mega light game a while ago, when SR spent like a week not posting and basically got absentee wagoned, and "maybe he just tried to sub out but manti didn't find anyone" was a thought I had, though I obviously couldn't talk about it live, and I didn't think that was a great state for a game to be in either )

I guess my preferred policy is that if you sub out, you shouldn't be posting in game thread for at least some time, but if the host can't/won't fill your slot, at some point you should be un-muted or w/e it would be, for game integrity reasons if nothing else.

8. ISO #4158
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    EpicMafia/DailyMafia
    AKA
    Onuzq
    Personally I think it's fine if you are natural with your posting after you asked to sub. I guess part of it would be worries of the topic falling on you in some aspects.

9. ISO #4159
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by mhsmith0 (#4157)
    I guess the flip side is that it can be very damaging to a game state (possibly to the point of actively hurting game integrity) if a slot is 0 posting for over a game phase and a sub cannot be found. If as a host you can't find a sub, should you just ask the player to keep playing and posting until you can? Is that better or worse than letting them 0 post and letting people wonder wtf is going on and whether someone is lurking or they tried to sub out but the host couldn't or wouldn't find one (side note: this was something i was actively thinking about in the mega light game a while ago, when SR spent like a week not posting and basically got absentee wagoned, and "maybe he just tried to sub out but manti didn't find anyone" was a thought I had, though I obviously couldn't talk about it live, and I didn't think that was a great state for a game to be in either )

I guess my preferred policy is that if you sub out, you shouldn't be posting in game thread for at least some time, but if the host can't/won't fill your slot, at some point you should be un-muted or w/e it would be, for game integrity reasons if nothing else.
    if you dont want the game to know that a player has requested to sub out (which was the issue with pawn?), they ought to keep posting?
    In case of lowposters, it's a non-issue, and in the other cases, the players are usually investe enough to not sabotage their own slot -- which I think would be against MU rules anyway.

10. ISO #4160
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by mhsmith0 (#4157)

I agree with this

11. ISO #4161
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    like sometimes players just disappear or are completely unable to play and it takes a while to get a sub which can be unfortunate, but I don't think completely nullifying the player slot in the meantime is totally fair (and at best makes no actual difference if the player is not making any appearance anyway)

12. ISO #4162
    AKA
    Michelle & El-ahrairah
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella (#4161)
    like sometimes players just disappear or are completely unable to play and it takes a while to get a sub which can be unfortunate, but I don't think completely nullifying the player slot in the meantime is totally fair (and at best makes no actual difference if the player is not making any appearance anyway)
    If all the players on MU who subbed out took a position of either not posting again until a sub is found (see also: how Sulphuric Kitten handled their sub out during this game) or continuing to post as if they'd never even asked to be subbed out in the first place and without referencing it at all, then I doubt Ara would be considering pushing an alternative action forward.

And there wouldn't be any need for the existing rule expressly forbidding it.

The idea of suspending a slot from posting until it can be subbed wouldn't be so much for the situations that DO work, but rather, to prevent the few that DON'T work. And I think a blanket approach to how sub slots are handled is pretty fair, because then everybody in the game knows what to expect and it minimizes angley accusations.

Then again, I also think the site has a massive problem with a large number of substitutions in general. I can't remember the last time I played a game in which there wasn't a single sub. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever played a game here that didn't have at least 1 sub.