Deep in the Pacific Ocean is a set of mysterious isles. These isles have been the subject of the world's greatest social game of all time. For the past 2 years, several inhabitants from the Town of Salem have come to play a game of deception, competing against each other for the title of Sole Survivor. In that time, Eleven people have been crowned victors. But now, these Islands will be visited by a new community- The Mafia Universe community! This is Survivor: Mafia Universe!
A little Bit about Me
Before I explain the game, you might want to know a little bit about me. I've been lurking on this site for a few months, but haven't interacted too much with the people here. I am a member of the Town of Salem forum community. I used to be a forum mafia player, but I soon discovered that I'm not very good at mafia, and started to pursue other projects. About 2 years ago, I hosted my first game of Online Survivor (the third to be completed on ToS), and established its own franchise on the Forums, where we have several games run a year. Since then, I have hosted a total of 4 games of Survivor, 2 games of Big Brother, and 3 other unrelated projects. I am a passionate Survivor fan- both the TV show and the game itself- and have dedicated a large portion of my free time to watching, playing, hosting, and talking about Survivor. TL;DR: I am the ultimate Survivor nerd.
What is Survivor?
Survivor is a social game where a group of players (referred to as "Castaways") working with each other to accomplish a common goal: to be the last one standing. Each cycle of the game consists of two phases: The challenge phase, where people compete for safety, and the Vote, where those in jeopardy vote one player out of the game. This continues until only three Castaways are left- at which point the players who were voted out later in the game come back and vote for one of the final 3 castaways to win Survivor. The game as a whole is divided into two halves- the Premerge and the Postmerge. During the Premerge, the 18 Castaways are divided into two tribes, and each tribe competes to win Immunity for their entire tribe. Once a certain amount of people are voted out, the two tribes merge into one, and the Castaways compete for Individual Immunity, which guarantees that that castaway cannot be voted out of the game. Castaways can also find advantages such as Hidden Immunity Idols and Extra votes to help them secure a better position in the game.
How it works
The game will be run via discord, which is required in order to play. Once you sign up, you will join the discord server, where you will find private chats for your tribe as well as your own personal confessional, where you will post votes as well as be asked interview questions by myself or my assistant host (Vivi). You may also use discord to create group chats with other castaways, which you can use to plot and strategize.
As stated before, each cycle of the game has two phases: The Challenge Phase and the Tribal Council phase. Each phase will last roughly 24 hours. During the challenge phase, you must work together with your tribe to win Immunity from the vote (during the premerge), or compete against the rest of the Castaways to secure Immunity for yourself (post merge). All of these challenges are designed to be mobile friendly (or at the very least, doable on mobile), and are not meant to take an extraneous amount of time. Some challenges will be based on Strategy, Social Awareness, Hedging your Bets, Outsmarting your Opponents, or creating something for a judge to score based on their opinion. Occasionally, you may be asked to draw or write, but these skills are not necessary to give anyone an advantage.
During the Tribal Council phase, in the premerge, the tribe that loses the Immunity Challenge will have 24 hours, during which each player will vote for someone they want to leave the game. After the 24 hours have passed, I will read the votes one by one on the server, and whoever has the most votes is eliminated from the game. The tribe that won immunity will have this phase of the game off. During the post merge, everyone will attend every tribal council, and only one person will be immune from the vote.
As stated previously, there are a variety of Advantages that can give you an edge in this game.
Hidden Immunity Idols: There are several of these that will be hidden throughout the game. If you find one, you may play it on yourself or another player before the votes are read, and any votes cast against the person it is played on will not count, and the player with the next highest votes gets voted out instead. You may play your idol in your confessional before the end of the Tribal Council phase, or you may do so live when the votes are read by posting that you would like to play a Hidden Immunity Idol in the chat. If someone plays a Hidden Immunity Idol or is voted out with an Idol in their possession, a new one may or may not be hidden depending on how late in the game it is. Although there are multiple that can be found, there will never be more than three in the game at once. The methods in which you can find these idols are different for each one, and a clue will be posted whenever one is hidden. The last time an Idol can be played is when 6 people remain in the game. There may also be idols that can only be used within a certain window, also known as limited use idols.
Advantages: There are also other Advantages that can be earned, such as an Extra vote, Vote blocker, and other such items. These are less common, and each have their own limits per item.
At predetermined points in the game, there will be a wrinkle in the game, which changes the way you have to go about playing. For the purpose of this game, there will not be as many twists as I usually have in my games on the Town of Salem forums, but I do have a few planned. Always be on your toes! Your success in this game may depend on your ability to go with the flow.
- The most important piece of advice I can give you: be active and make alliances! Although only one can win, players will have to work with each other to try and put themselves in the best position possible. Create alliances with other like-minded players, and try to gather as much information as possible on where you think the vote is going to go. The more you talk to other people, the better off you will be.
-Do not be inactive. Players who are inactive are often targeted in the first few eliminations due to the cooperative nature of the premerge challenges, and towards the end of the game inactive players are often not respected by the jury to gather the votes they need to win the game. Although you technically only need to be online fora few minutes every day (as outlined in the rules), it is always better to put as much time as you can into the game. This is ultimately a social game, and you will get out of this game what you put into it. The more active you are, the better.
-Remember that Idols and Advantages exist. If you have one, don't be afraid to use it if you think you need it. Nothing is worse than being voted out with one in your possession (speaking from personal experience). There are ways you can work around these advantages, such as splitting your alliance's votes or trying to put the votes somewhere unexpected.
-Be aware of the other castaways. Although they may be your allies, be aware that they are also your opponents. Only one person can win the game, and loyalty is only valuable to a certain extent. Sure, you may be able to brag to the jury about staying loyal to one person to the jury, but if that one person is more respected or simply played a better game, they will win. Know when the right time to betray or to make a big move is.
-Remember that you have to get to the end in order to w//in. You could be viewed as the best player in the game, but if you're voted out, that won't matter. Timing is everything. Don't make a big move for the sake of making a big move, because that will often put a target on your back. Conversely, don't be too passive. If you are letting your allies make the decisions and aren't making moves yourself, you will be viewed as a goat and will not be respected by the jury. It is incredibly difficult to play keeping both of these ideals in mind, but finding the best way to tread the line between the two is the best way to assure that you win the game.
1) Be respectful. All Mafia Universe rules apply. Bigotry, sexism, homophobia, racism, purposeful misgendering, and other such acts will not be tolerated. Cheating in any way shape or form will result in immediate removal.
2) The host's word is law. You must follow my rules if you wish to play the game, and adhere to anything that is not outlined in the rules.
3) You must be online at least once every 24 hours. If either myself or Vivi finds that you have been inactive for 24 hours, you will be given a prod. Failure respond to the prod, or receiving three prods will result in you being removed from the game. Should a player be removed or quit the game, the host will determine whether or not to cancel the upcoming elimination based on the circumstances. If a player quits or is removed during the post merge, they will not be a member of the jury, and a player voted out during the premerge may be asked to take their place.
4) If a player is removed during one of the first three Episodes (one challenge and Tribal Council phase= 1 Episode), they may be replaced by another player. If a replacement cannot be found, the removed player will be modkilled. Other than this, there will be no replacements.
5) Any and all alliance chats created MUST have myself and Vivi included in them. No exceptions. You may not create an alliance chat or use an alliance chat with a player who is not on your tribe unless otherwise stated. Breaking either of these guidelines is considered cheating.
6) You may not have anyone in the game blocked.
7) Screenshotting or copy-pasting any chats or mod messages is strictly forbidden.
8) You must post at least once every 24 hours. Failure to do so will result in a prod, which you have 24 hours to respond to or you will be removed from the game. During a Tribal Council phase, if you fail to submit your vote before the deadline, you will receive a self vote in addition to a prod, meaning your vote will be cast against you. Doing so on purpose is against the rules. If your self vote causes you to be tied for the majority of the votes, you will be voted out automatically instead of putting it to a tie breaker.
Encyclopedia of Controversial Occurrences (ECO)
Sometimes, weird things happen. I have taken the liberty of outlining as many strange occurrences as I could think of and explaining what happens in the event that those occurrences happen. Please refer to the following guide for any of those questions you may have.
1) Tied votes- If the vote results in a tie, everyone will revote, and can only vote for the people who received the most votes in the tie. Those tied will not be allowed to vote. If you have an extra vote, it WILL carry through to a tied vote. If you have lost your vote, you WILL NOT be able to vote in the revote. If the result of this revote is still a tie, the vote becomes Deadlocked.
2) Deadlocked votes- Should a vote be deadlocked, everyone who was tied for the most votes becomes safe, as well as anyone who previously had immunity by playing an idol or winning Individual Immunity. Everyone else who is not safe will draw rocks- that is, one of them will be randomly selected to be eliminated. This is in place to give players an incentive to not force a tie between two players and to seek a majority to avoid such a situation.
3) Fire Making- Should a deadlock vote occur in which only one or fewer players are eligible to be eliminated based on the guidelines in ECO 2, the players with the most votes will have to participate in a fire making challenge, which will be a jigsaw puzzle that must be completed as fast as possible. The player who finishes the puzzle faster stays in the game, the loser is eliminated. The most likely place for this to occur is in the Final Four, but could also happen other places as well.
4) Idols- Should all votes be negated by Idol plays (resulting in a total of 0 votes), a completely new vote will occur, in which those who played an idol cannot be voted for. Another tied vote will go through ECO 1 and 2 before Deadlocking.
5) Final Vote Tie- Should the vote for the winner be tied between two players, the third finalist and anyone who voted for the third finalist will vote for one of the other two finalists to break the tie. A three way tie in the final vote is not possible based on how many jurors there will be.
6) Other- Anything not outlined above will be handled on a case-by-case basis and is the discretion of the host.
-This is a game of strategy, roleplay is not necessary, although you may rp if you wish. But ultimately, you are playing as yourself.
-Although I take heavy inspiration from the show, there are some things that are on the TV show that I am not a fan of, and as such the following will not be included in this game: Idol Nullifiers, eliminate a juror, forced final 4 Fire-Making, Redemption Island (or any such twist that allows the eliminated players to compete for a chance to return to the game), or Fusion Tribal Councils (two tribes coming together to vote out one person). Anything else is fair game.
-This is my first time hosting on this site, and as such I am still learning the ropes of this site's mechanics. Please bare with me.
If you would like to join, simply type /join (or any other variation that clearly indicates your intent to play) and your discord tag on the thread below. You will then be sent an invitation to join the server via private message. If you would like to spectate, post that you would like to do so on the thread (as well as your discord tag) and you will be invited to the server.
If you have any questions, please let me know!
Last edited by mdb1023; February 3rd, 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Reason: title change
Depending on when we st/a/rt (I plan on starting immediately once the game fills), it is very likely that the game will either be done or very close to done before January 30th. I also am going to be busy during the last week of January so I'll certainly be motivated to be done by then.
Last edited by mdb1023; January 20th, 2020 at 06:05 PM.
me when no one really knows me that well around here at all but I'll still sign anyway.
cursedskylark#5216 is the tag you need in case.
My name is Matt, but you can also call me Shyuri or Gwen as you wish.
The username you see here is cringe because it was my original username I used for everything up until 2018 and I don't know how to change it. If I could, I would to "Shyuri", but I don't know how to do that at all without making a new account.
I come from the Flipline Forum, which the community I represent, although I have been in Discord communities here and there. I don't usually come around here but feel free to drop by a message here or on my home community, I'll definitely respond to it.
ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
Mafia Universe is a community hub for people who enjoy playing the forum variant of Mafia (also known as Werewolf). We offer fully automated Mafia games and a wide variety of customized features crafted to optimize your game experience. We also proudly host the Internet's only database of Mafia/Werewolf communities.