Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack's Indubitable Walrus

1. ISO #51
    T-6. nutella and Schema

half•alive - still feel.

Catchy song, grew on me after a few listens. Chorus gets stuck in my head.

The pale blonde guy with a receding hairline who can't dance and just sits there playing the drums shuffling his shoulders a little bit in a terrible quirky outfit the lead singer probably made him wear is like looking at a version of myself that could play drums.

2. ISO #52
    5. MF DOOM

MF DOOM - Rap Snitch Knishes

The most interesting part of this song is the unknown identity of Mr. Fantastik. I'd like to think it's some random guy who recorded a song or two with DOOM for fun, then went back to his regular life as a high-powered attorney.

As for the song itself. It's perfectly cromulent.

3. ISO #53
    4. Shad

IDLES - Television

"Walrus songs for $400, please."

This song is like getting punched in the face by a self-help book.

"What is IDLES - Television?"

Correct.

4. ISO #54
    3. Manasi

Albert Hammond Jr. - Far Away Truths

Immediately thought the guitars sounded like the Strokes, and yep, Albert was/is the guitarist for the Strokes. Not exactly reinventing the wheel here, but sometimes you just want a good wheel.

5. ISO #55
    2. Empoof

Domo Genesis feat. Anderson .Paak - Dapper

Thoroughly enjoyed this from the first second the beat drops on the first listen. There's an infectious energy to it from the word go.

6. ISO #56

7. ISO #57

8. ISO #58
    The Self Narrator Owner Of A Lonely Heart's Avatar
    Community
    personalitycafe.com/daily mafia
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    20. Owner

Ghosts and Vodka - Sex is Popular

Instrumental math rock? For this category? For this walrus??

I actually like some of the guitar riffs in here, but a five minute instrumental with lots of slow sections is absolutely not what I want to blast on my car speakers to pump up for the weekend.
    I like this response. But yeah, I was not finding anything that hit that excitement level.

9. ISO #59
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    T-6. nutella and Schema

half•alive - still feel.

Catchy song, grew on me after a few listens. Chorus gets stuck in my head.

The pale blonde guy with a receding hairline who can't dance and just sits there playing the drums shuffling his shoulders a little bit in a terrible quirky outfit the lead singer probably made him wear is like looking at a version of myself that could play drums.

this has absolutely been subbed by owner to a different walrus
    :wiwe

10. ISO #60
    Community
    Rap Genius

11. ISO #61
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    NovoCiv
    are you planning on doing any live reveals?
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

12. ISO #62
    I make poor decisions when drunk Viggorous's Avatar
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT
    I'm kinda thinking I made a blunder forgetting about Blood Orange, I think you might like him @Zack (but then again, judging from my scoring in your walruses, who knows lol).

He's also collaborates with Solange
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubtingThomas (#1916)
    u are the imbecile for wanting to lynch me after that d1

just please never call yourself
    VIGGOAT or whatever that $#@! you say

cuz it's really not true not at all after your recent performances and you must feel it

or are you just spite killing me like you did RC?

13. ISO #63
    trying to get things done for a reveal tonight, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Beck (#61)
    ye they're all in discord too, I can tag when it starts in the server if you want

14. ISO #64
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggorous (#62)
    I'm kinda thinking I made a blunder forgetting about Blood Orange, I think you might like him @Zack (but then again, judging from my scoring in your walruses, who knows lol).

He's also collaborates with Solange
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#63)
    trying to get things done for a reveal tonight, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Beck (#61)
    ye they're all in discord too, I can tag when it starts in the server if you want
    Is this what it's like to be ghosted? /cut for viggoat

cuz it's really not true not at all after your recent performances and you must feel it

15. ISO #65
    lol, i'm trying to finalize this category

I've listened to Blood Orange before, I like Best to You but didn't care too much for anything else I've heard

16. ISO #66
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT
    I'm just busting your balls with the ghosting comment :P.

Aight, I've listened to him for a while, I thought the Negro Swan album could possibly be your deal, but it might be a case of thinking I know what you like but really don't.

17. ISO #67

18. ISO #68
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokéHeroes
    AKA
    zoomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#719)
    ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#734)
    gbs is not out of either range. the $#@!posting is basically how he lives his life.

19. ISO #69
    shrug, sorry

no one shows up for morning or afternoon reveals

20. ISO #70
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokéHeroes
    AKA
    zoomer
    idk, we've had decent audiences ranging everywhere from 21:00 to 00:00 CET
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#719)
    ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#734)
    gbs is not out of either range. the $#@!posting is basically how he lives his life.

21. ISO #71
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT

22. ISO #72
    Cat 2 Reveal
    2. Sit back and think

Laying down or walking through the woods with something slow and thoughtful. This is more about a sound than anything lyrical, though appropriate lyrics definitely won't hurt. Something folksy/acoustic is the obvious low-hanging fruit here, but you can score well without doing that.

Keywords -- thoughtful, subdued, thought-provoking, slow, mournful, reflective, somber, introspective

Should work as well or better over headphones compared to listening on speakers.

Eric's Trip - Sand
    Cunninlynguists - Violet (The Upper Room)
    Beach House - Space Song

23. ISO #73
    23. Fable

Diplodocus - Return of the Thunder Lizard

If this is the kind of boring music the dinosaurs were making, thank god for that asteroid.

24. ISO #74
    22. BLOODYRAIN10001

The Legend Black Heaven Original Soundtrack - I've Tried

Was pretty bored with this. Not my thing, sorry.

25. ISO #75
    21. LordQuas

Baths - ♥

I don't really understand the appeal of this. Feels like random $#@! with some half-assed vocals on top of it.

26. ISO #76
    20. MF DOOM

Crumb - Bones

I generally don't like psychedelic stuff, and, yeah.

27. ISO #77
    19. Mischief

Elliot Moss - Without The Lights

Owner sent a song from this album (99) to my last walrus, which I liked a decent amount and thought it sounded a lot like James Blake. Still sounds a lot like James Blake, but I don't care for this one as much.

28. ISO #78
    18. Roman

William Doyle - Zionshill

Starts as a reasonably enjoyable folk song, then morphs into something much more ambient around the 1:45 mark that loses me.

29. ISO #79
    17. iaafr

haircuts for men - Sorrow is Bitter

Just can't get into this one very much, despite the sexy sax. I wish there was more of the sax.

30. ISO #80
    16. Moose

dk rap to relax/study to

Always a tough sell when certified club bangers get remixed into downtempo plodders.

I don't mind listening to it but it's too inherently goofy to score well in this VERY serious category.

31. ISO #81
    15. Sloonei

Beach House - Myth

The problem for me is like … this is fine, but it sounds quite similar to Space Song but isn't as good. So why bother listening to it at all? (Yes, I know this came out before Space Song. Still.)

kind of :/ when one of the examples was Beach House

32. ISO #82
    14. Visorslash

Lorn - Acid Rain

Pretty sure I've heard this on YouTube autoplay or something before. It's fine.

33. ISO #83
    13. Manasi

City and Colour - As Much as I Ever Could

I like the chorus a lot, but it's a relatively small part of the song and the parts surrounding it are, for the most part, not that interesting.

34. ISO #84
    12. Sentenza

Wet - Deadwater

Pleasant but forgettable. Never leaves much of an impression on me no matter how many times I listen to it.

35. ISO #85
    11. nutella

Frances Cone - Unraveling

She has a great voice but something about the song feels slightly off. There's a disconnect with the lyrics about unraveling and things falling apart over music that is almost surgically clean and precise. I wanted a little more emotion than I got, but it's still a solid listen.

36. ISO #86
    10. roro_________________b

Blind Pilots - 3 Rounds and a Sound

I'm struggling to give a cogent reason why I don't like this more than I do. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way, the guitar playing feels generic and the vocals don't quite match the soft music. It's a little too archetypal "I'm sad, also here's an acoustic guitar," I dunno. My scoring on this one has gone all over the place but ended up in a pretty good spot, which is why the comment seems weirdly negative for a good score.

37. ISO #87
    9. Owner of a Lonely Heart

So Many Dynamos - These Things Happen

Solid song. Vocals are holding it back from a higher score, they're a touch too whiny even for me, but that's a nitpick and I like listening to this.

38. ISO #88
    8. Viggorous

Astronauts, etc. - No Justice

Hits that vibe of sitting back and letting a song wash over you. The airy vocals sounds monotone as $#@! and the song's a bit too one-note., but on the other hand, that's part of what makes the song work in the first place.

Incoming terrible jokes using the name of the song to say it was [too high / too low].

39. ISO #89
    7. ladd

Leonard Cohen - Bird on the Wire

I enjoy Leonard Cohen more as a poet than a musician. I appreciate the beauty in his lyrics, the stories he is telling, but the performance leaves something to be desired.

40. ISO #90
    6. Schema

Flatsound - You are the Coffin

I think the outro is too drawn out and detracts from the cresecendo of the final chorus, but otherwise I like it.

Sidenote: is he calling god a pedophile? I don't think that's how the narrative of the song is supposed to flow, but it's still a bit jarring and distracting every time I listen. It's like if in one of my comments, instead of calling a song pleasant I said it was "gemütlich" - you just stop and think "gemütlich? what the $#@!?" and kinda forget about the rest of what I was saying.

41. ISO #91
    5. gbsfranca

Beabadoobee - I Wish I Was Stephen Malkmus

I actually might like this more than any Pavement song I've heard.

42. ISO #92
    4. Empoof

The Books - Smells Like Content

If you were hoping for a Weird Al style parody of the modern news cycle in the vein of Nirvana, you'll be disappointed. But if you wanted fragile vocals over somber guitars with minimal flourish, there's something here for you.

43. ISO #93
    3. Shad

Of The Wand and The Moon - The Raven Chant

Wintry without being bleak. Really liked this. More folk music should use woodwinds!

44. ISO #94
    2. Newcomb

Blake Mills - Wintersong

This sounds like something I'd sub, lol.

Really enjoy listening to all the different little guitar and drum parts coming together in the second half.

45. ISO #95
    1. Bunny

Nujabes - luv (sic.) pt 3 (feat. shing02)

Given my (infamous in certain circles) dislike of instrumental hip hop, I definitely wasn't expecting to like an almost six minute Nujabes sub so much. I don't know how much I'd like it as an instrumental track, but the relatively subdued vocals do a great job complementing the music.

Could listen to this on loop for awhile, it's like being wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold night.

46. ISO #96

47. ISO #97
    I'll try to do the next reveal earlier for loleurope

48. ISO #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#91)
    5. gbsfranca

Beabadoobee - I Wish I Was Stephen Malkmus

I actually might like this more than any Pavement song I've heard.

Really liked this one!

49. ISO #99
    sorry for the delay, hit a wall and have struggled to finalize rankings and write coherent thoughts about songs

no ETA for next reveal yet, unfortunately

50. ISO #100
    i'm just gonna start rolling out some thread reveals, don't really feel like coordinating anything for discord