Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MU Wiki: We need your help!

1. ISO #51
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    MiniMafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks (#46)
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsquared (#45)
    Also someone @ me if the wiki channel starts getting used primarily over this thread since I'm not in the MU Discord server atm.
    S0 far it's just been $%#!p0sting, but I wi11 pr0bab1y take Manti's suggesti0n and p0st a g00g1e d0c with imp0rtant tasks that need t0 be d0ne.

I think "C0p" sh0u1d 1and immediate1y 0n the main c0p page, and the disambiguati0n 0ffered at the t0p 0f that page. In my experience fan wikis that assume y0u want the disambiguati0n instead 0f the m0st c0mm0n page are very ann0ying. But I'd 1ike t0 see what y0u're thinking -- when y0u're satisfied with it i'd 1ike t0 take a pass myse1f. I think 0nce c0p is "d0ne" we can then turn it int0 a m0de1 f0r the 0ther c0mm0n r01es.
    After thinking about this even more I realize that Cop is kind of unique in that it has a bunch of roles that all work in similar names with the name "Cop". So I'm thinking now that we would only really need a disambiguation-esque page for exactly Cop if we want one at all, and create separate pages for each role. I think we can minimize clutter by not having what are essentially Alignment Cops with modifiers as separate pages e.g. Macho Cop. Amnesiac, and Sanity mostly apply to alignment cop, and we could have other cops reference the section on the Alignment Cop page if necessary or keep the Cop meta/disambiguation page.

I'll play around with this later, and then link the results for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck (#49)
    What's the consensus on pages most needed beyond the Newbie Guide?

It might take me some time to fully digest all the wiki's tools and formatting so I might as well start writing articles and can fit them in aesthetically once I understand some more.
    This help me tremendously with formatting: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

I think if you feel particularly passionate about writing something then go and write that. The wiki software tracks edits/changes so I think there's not much risk in just doing whatever right now while we're reorganizing.

For role pages I think we're going to have a Strategy and (Game) Design sections that describe general strategies for playing the role, and guidelines how to include the role in setups or tweak or whatever respectively. Those sections will actually take thought to write, and we were going to prioritize roles in modbot first so that is a going to be a useful place to start I imagine.

I think @Phoenicks was tinkering around with setups formatting so I'm not sure if he has a general outline or formatting idea for those pages yet (i.e. what sections they're going to have), but just writing copy for pages for common setups is likely not going to be a waste of time either.

Something I mentioned earlier would be pages for game type/design concepts that could be delved into more beyond a terminology page like Bastard, Multiball, Mashes, Role Madness etc. If something there sounds like your jam then go for it I say.

It took me a minute to figure this out, but the easiest way to create pages is to search for them. If you wanted to create page for Bastard you would search for "Bastard" and then click 'Create the page "Bastard" on this wiki!' If you run into any issues you can feel free to DM me.

2. ISO #52
    Timezone
    UTC+03:00
    AKA
    lendun
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks (#48)
    This is my 1apt0p -- the 0n1y cure is a new c0mputer. And t0 send f0r c0mputer repairs w0u1d mean t0 st0p w0rk fr0m h0me. C'est 1a vie.
    just buy a cheap USB keyboard from amazon

unless you have one of those macbooks that removed all the ports just to make the laptop 1 millimeter thinner
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypotato (#747)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypotato (#408)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    ##Vote lendunistus
    Going to bed soon , but this is a very $%#!ty vote

3. ISO #53
    Timezone
    Community
    MiniMafia
    Alright, started to split Cop off into multiple pages again. Only did Alignment Cop for now while waiting on feedback (strategy and design sections can certainly be added now). When I'm done I'm going to have the Cop page just redirect to Alignment Cop, and probably do the same for Seer. We can do that with the most common AKAs to make searching more friendly.

Also updated Doctor and PGO (more or less random choice). The roles in Modbot have a section for the Modbot role PM, and any notes I could think of (e.g. Doctors can't self target even though it's explicitly not stated).

Added Protective and Killing categories as well. The Protective Roles and Killing Roles categories already existed, but when I created Investigative (over Informative) I omitted "Roles" without thinking it through all the way. So we'll probably want to make decision on how we want to handle that one way or the other, and then remove the rest.

4. ISO #54
    Timezone
    Community
    MiniMafia
    @Makaze is it possible to update MediaWiki to latest stable version the server can run with its software versions? It's currently 1.23.15 which stopped receiving support in the first half of 2017.

Version 1.31 is the legacy LTS version which might be a reasonable target. The compatibility page suggests that PHP version 7.0 is compatible with 1.31, but it looks like it needs MySQL/MariaDB 5.5.8, and the server is running MariaDB 5.5.5 so not sure it'll work unless you upgrade MariaDB.

Looks like version 1.29 is the highest version we can upgrade to that should be compatible with the current software on the server.
    Last edited by bearsquared; May 12th, 2020 at 06:04 PM.

5. ISO #55
    τη καλλίστη Makaze's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    Community
    Serenes Forest
    AKA
    Mak Daddy
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsquared (#54)
    @Makaze is it possible to update MediaWiki to latest stable version the server can run with its software versions? It's currently 1.23.15 which stopped receiving support in the first half of 2017.

Version 1.31 is the legacy LTS version which might be a reasonable target. The compatibility page suggests that PHP version 7.0 is compatible with 1.31, but it looks like it needs MySQL/MariaDB 5.5.8, and the server is running MariaDB 5.5.5 so not sure it'll work unless you upgrade MariaDB.

Looks like version 1.29 is the highest version we can upgrade to that should be compatible with the current software on the server.
    I've tried and doing so has broken things previously. Is there a truly necessary reason?
    I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

[12:09 pm] Cory Curren: remember that we are marking down all of your reads to hold for our personal amusement
    [12:09 pm] Cory Curren: anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of lol

6. ISO #56
    Definitely SmartBomb Charmander's Avatar
    Community
    Starter Pokemon
    AKA
    ????
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsquared (#54)

I've tried and doing so has broken things previously. Is there a truly necessary reason?
    Well I was having issues getting certain things like the #if functions to work which I attributed to the version differences. In general using software that's hella out-of-date is asking for trouble. There are a fair number of moderate and higher CVE that affect the version of MediaWiki we're using so it's not like their aren't known issues. If you've already tried and it was just broken then I guess it's not going to make editing it a lot more difficult if you don't.

7. ISO #57
    Timezone
    Community
    MiniMafia
    Alright, updated these pages to have a consistent layout/style:

Role Cop
    Parity Cop
    Neapolitan
    Full Cop
    Firearms Inspector
    Flavor Cop

More content can be added like strategy/design, but at least they're all consistent now.

Cop and Seer now redirect to Alignment Cop.

Edit:
    Added Alignment Oracle

Oracle now redirects to Alignment Oracle.

Updated Role Oracle, and Arsonist.
    I added example Modbot Role PMs and Results for the supported roles as well however, Parity Cop and Neapolitan didn't have example results in this thread so there isn't one in the wiki either.

Edit 2:
    Updated Bodyguard awhile ago.

Added Day Vigilante and updated Firefighter.

Edit 3:
    Updated Healer.

Tried to make more complex templates to make this faster/easier, but our version of MediaWiki is pretty outdated, and we can't use a lot of the extensions/features that would make powerful templates possible so we're stuck with templates that are just text/interpolation for now.
    Last edited by bearsquared; May 26th, 2020 at 09:56 PM.

8. ISO #58
    Timezone
    UTC+03:00
    AKA
    lendun
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    FYI the #mu-wiki channel is now a food channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypotato (#747)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypotato (#408)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    ##Vote lendunistus
    Going to bed soon , but this is a very $%#!ty vote