1. ISO #1
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Cool hi I'm nutella! AMA

Hello all I am nutella, 25/f/Portland, Champs season 6 wildcard vet, current spec chat warrior, walrus junkie, and discord memer galore. Whaddaya wanna knooow
    Last edited by nutella; May 21st, 2020 at 01:12 AM.

2. ISO #2

Wants It More

Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Pokemon Showdown!
    AKA
    ForgotToFlush
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerneas (#2818)
    okay starting from the top

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    why did you visit choxorn?
    What I do at night is none of your business.

4. ISO #4
    #BetterThanYou
    Community
    WF/DM/VS/PerC/MU/PHC
    Hello all I am nutella, 25/f/Portland, Champs season 6 wildcard vet, current spec chat warrior, walrus junkie, and discord memer galore. Whaddaya wanna knooow
    Why did I think you were like 15?

5. ISO #5
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella (#1)
    Why did I think you were like 15?
    Because I'm an immature $#@!posting loser maybe

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC+03:00
    AKA
    lendun
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    how mad were you when I called you an “inexperienced wolf” in a turbo we played together
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypotato (#747)

7. ISO #7
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by lendunistus (#6)
    how mad were you when I called you an “inexperienced wolf” in a turbo we played together
    I don't even remember it so probably not and also I'm very conscious of the fact that I'm a pretty garbage wolf recently especially in turbos so it's justified. Though tbf "inexperienced" isn't accurate in general as I have been playing mafia for 12 years

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    AKA
    Mac

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdougall (#8)
    were you born in a test tube?
    No. What a weird question

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    NovoCiv
    When you’re not playing werewolf, and you’re not $#@!posting, what hobbies do you most enjoy?
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    When you’re not playing werewolf, and you’re not $#@!posting, what hobbies do you most enjoy?
    Cooking and baking, I love being creative with food. That's a big one especially recently. Otherwise I'm a big fan of watching tons of tv series, discovering music (+ going to concerts when they were a thing, sigh), playing board games and some video games (+ VR!), reading books (mostly fantasy), listening to various podcasts, anything related to linguistics/languages/words... oh I love weird/tricky puzzles, like the kind in the college puzzle challenge sorts of things or puzzled pint, I get such a rush from figuring out those sorts of things, plus escape rooms (I've done several and actually helped design/build two amateur escape rooms with my boyfriend a couple years ago, that was cool)

12. ISO #12
    Where'd your username come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

13. ISO #13
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#12)
    Where'd your username come from?
    I'm just a big fan of chocolate hazelnut spread! Actually in one of my very first online communities I had a username that was abbreviated as "LA" and I often talked about how much I liked nutella and someone made a graphic representing a bunch of users and I was a jar of nutella with the "LA" capitalized so I started going by "nutelLA" but that was silly so I just simplified it to straight up nutella.

14. ISO #14
    When is your next Walrus and over/under on me winning with exclusively metal subs
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

15. ISO #15
    How do you cope with being reminded of hazelnut flavoring every time you type
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

16. ISO #16
    Are you aware that your avatar is mint, not nutella

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    When is your next Walrus and over/under on me winning with exclusively metal subs
    I'm vaguely hoping to start one in the next month or two, and prob "under" (I dont do numbers) but who knows

18. ISO #18
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    How do you cope with being reminded of hazelnut flavoring every time you type
    Not an issue really, I've used it as a name so long that it doesn't have the association that strongly lol
    Last edited by nutella; May 21st, 2020 at 04:00 PM.

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Are you aware that your avatar is mint, not nutella
    Yes

That's actually due to my tumblr name I made in 2012 "ofmonstersandmintcookies" and also just another great chocolate flavor pairing

20. ISO #20
    Community
    Canucks.com
    Would you ever eat a radish dipped in nutella?

21. ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Radishes (#20)
    Would you ever eat a radish dipped in nutella?
    Yeah I'd totally try it.

22. ISO #22
    Community
    Canucks.com
    Are you one of those people who 'will try anything once' or are there things you just know you won't like?

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Radishes (#22)
    Are you one of those people who 'will try anything once' or are there things you just know you won't like?
    When it comes to food and music, I will try anything. If you broaden that to mean like any life experience though there are some things I'm sure just aren't for me or I don't care to try/seem too dangerous or something idk

Like polarity hunt
    Last edited by nutella; May 22nd, 2020 at 02:35 PM.

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Basashi ice or fish assholes?
    Apparently fish assholes are actually spaghettios so Imma go with that.

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    The Cave of Dragonflies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    What are some of your favorite foods to make and to eat?

What goes into designing an escape room? Can you tell us more about the two you helped build?

Favorite mafia moments?

How do you know so many obscure bands?

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    What are some of your favorite foods to make and to eat?

What goes into designing an escape room? Can you tell us more about the two you helped build?

Favorite mafia moments?

How do you know so many obscure bands?
    I have soooo many favorite foods to make hmm let me pick a few.
    One of my best dinner dishes that I've been making pretty regularly for like over ten years is tilapia with cilantro lime cream sauce with fettuccine and asparagus.
    Another favorite dinner is ravioli (usually mushroom) with sauteed green beans, garlic, pine nuts, and bacon, topped with tons of parmesan and black pepper.
    I have a favorite breakfast dish as well, when I was in college this amazing Mexican woman in the dining hall made it and after I graduated I missed it so much I figured out how to emulate it at home, it's poached eggs with sauteed potatoes and spinach topped with salsa, sour cream, and cotija cheese.

So the deal with the escape rooms is, my boyfriend got really into them and came up with a plan to run one during a week-long event on our college campus, and we put it together with some amateur electronics etc and other various components -- this first one had a four elements theme, so there were sets of puzzles that were themed on air, fire, water, and earth, and all four sets had to be completed. Then the next year, after we graduated, he got a job running two actual/professional escape rooms and got even more obsessed with the idea of building his own, and came up with a spaceship theme. We spent a good chunk of a year putting together the spaceship-themed components and it got more sophisticated than the first one. We had like a console with lots of dials and buttons and stuff, controls labeled for sci-fi-ish things like hyperdrives and electromagnetic shields, etc. So we did a lot of building and electronics work, it was fun and educational. The coolest things I contributed most to were a puzzle based on tangled PVC pipes with various valves, and a hand-drawn star map representing constellations that were used for another puzzle. So anyway we ran a version of that room, it was fairly shoddy but had some really cool concepts and we spent some time improving it but gradually kind of stopped working on it, by this time we both had more real jobs and then moved out of the house we were working on all this stuff in, so a lot of it was thrown out. But maybe we'll go back to a project like that someday, it was fun for sure.

Favorite mafia moments.... well with over ten years of memories that's quite overwhelming and I'm definitely going to overlook some, haha. I have to give WC1 a shoutout of course -- the X neighborhood, the cheerios, Benson, the tension of watching Mac in F3... that whole game was an incredible experience.
    I have a lot of great memories from Syndicate games, probably the ones that stand out most primarily in my mind are some of my glorious scum victories. For one, the s6-based mad17 setup scrimmage game we played last year, where I was scum with Mac and Jay and we perfectly coordinated our votes for a game-winning lylo mislynch (we didn't have votes locked there so we had to time it). Another would be the Fire Emblem draft game hosted by Jackofhearts, I had such a fantastic scum team and fake claims worked very well in our favor. And speaking of Jack, even longer ago I was scum with him in the HCRealms crossover/invitational game and bussed a teammate early for a glorious ride to victory.
    Other than those kinds of moments of pride, there are tons more memories that are just hilarious/meme-worthy moments, I could be here all day recounting stuff but I've rambled enough already.

Lol, I discover bands a lot of ways tbh, probably some I'm not even sure how I got into them at this point. Definitely have found a bunch through spotify recommendations/discover weekly/similar artists kind of lists. Also I'm in official discord servers for a couple bands and have gotten a lot of recommendations from fellow fans. And of course more recently I've discovered some through walruses!

28. ISO #28
    #BetterThanYou
    Community
    WF/DM/VS/PerC/MU/PHC
    You said you designed escape rooms. What can you tell us about that process?

29. ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    You said you designed escape rooms. What can you tell us about that process?
    Already answered above. I could ramble more about it but I gave a general overview. Coming up with a theme, figuring out how to connect puzzles together and build with electronics and other supplies... idk if I can really explain much better lol, plus it's been a couple years

30. ISO #30
    WIM Plus 7 M Plus 7's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    How about literature / tabletop games / any other forms of media or entertainment you particularly enjoy — what are your favorites (current and all-time), and what recommendations would you give?

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#30)
    How about literature / tabletop games / any other forms of media or entertainment you particularly enjoy — what are your favorites (current and all-time), and what recommendations would you give?
    alright. I'm always overwhelmed by the prospect of lists of favorites like this (tbh this kind of open-ended question is the sort of thing I was dreading having to deal with in this thread lmao) because I have consumed so much media and will invariably leave out many things that I think deserve recognition, but will try to pick some standouts.

Some all-time favorite books:
    - everything by Brandon Sanderson. His "Cosmere" universe that spans several different series is just incredible, the worldbuilding, magic systems, characters, plots, the way he intertwines intricate details and sweeping arcs together... everything about it is so cool and there's always more mindblowing connections and theories to discover.
    - everything by N.K. Jemisin, especially the Broken Earth trilogy. The way The Fifth Season is written is so incredibly clever, and the setting/themes are extremely profound.
    - most recently, The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow. This book just absolutely grabbed and emotionally affected me in a way that only a select few books have before. Excellent feeling of magical realism, well-constructed plot and characters.
    - The Shadow of the Wind and the other books in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Stuck with me for similar reasons as TTDOJ and in fact the latter reminded me of this series in several ways, though they are also quite different.
    - The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. This one's been on my all-time list for probably almost 10 years now, it struck a very personal chord with me as a teenager and the writing is beautiful.
    - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Another long-time favorite, just an absolute masterpiece of emotionally-charged wordsmithing.
    - The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. This book just absolutely blew my mind.
    couple things that aren't technically books but deserve a mention:
    - the webserials by the author Wildbow, namely Worm, Pact, and Ward (I have not read Twig). Wildly fleshed-out supernatural worlds with gripping (and very dark/gritty) character-driven arcs.
    - the comic series Saga. A colorful and inventive, and also deeply dark, space opera that is both cosmic in scope and deeply personal in its stories. The art is beautiful and the characters are heartbreakingly loveable.

Board games:
    - Tokaido. The art/general aesthetic is gorgeous and soothing, the gameplay unique and fun in a laid-back way.
    - Dominion. With multiple expansions, the potential for crazy combos and satisfying card interactions is insane.
    - Splendor. Very simple and elegant strategy game.
    - Azul. Another simple but innovative game with a cool aesthetic and more strategic depth than meets the eye.
    - Gloomhaven. My boyfriend was obsessed with it for a while and we played it regularly for 6 months or so before sort of burning out on it but it was quite cool.
    I'm leaving a LOT out here but those stand out as a few that have been particularly important to me over the years.

Video games:
    - The Witness. I CANNOT stress this enough: this is probably the single piece of media that has affected me the most, psychologically, intellectually, philosophically, emotionally. Ever. This game ABSOLUTELY $#@!ING BLEW MY MIND on several levels. A lot of this was amplified by the particular circumstances of when and with whom I played this game -- the year after I graduated from college, I was living with some friends from my year who all had unique and complex interpretations of games in general and how this game metaphorically and intertextually related to various concepts in philosophy. This probably sounds pretentious as $#@! and that's because it is. The experience we collectively had with this game was way more than just "solving puzzles." We had multiple late-night revelations about the various things this game says about how we look at the world around us.
    ...That's it's own tier obviously, and I honestly don't play video games that much myself but I have watched my boyfriend and other friends play a lot of others of many different genres and I am endlessly fascinated by the infinite scope of what can be achieved in them as an artistic medium. (I know way more about Dark Souls and LoZ: Breath of the Wild, for a couple examples, than someone who hasn't actually played them really should.) A couple other shoutouts though:
    - Transistor. The unusual design of the mechanics in this game, the setting, the art, the soundtrack, just all very very cool.
    - Life Is Strange. Very moving.
    - Smash, lol, just have to give it a shout as it's just the ultimate spontaneous fun thing do just kick back with friends and do. 4/WiiU is the one I have played the most -- I didn't really grow up playing video games at all and only really learned to be comfortable with a console controller in college but once I picked it up I got really into it. Played a decent amount of Ultimate as well while I still lived in a house that had a Switch but unfortunately currently do not have access to one anymore.
    - Smite... much more of a guilty pleasure, it's a moba so it's objectively garbage lol but I have sunk countless hours into it. Got to the point of feeling like an unhealthy addiction and I have been completely clean for a couple months lol.

TV shows: I have to really limit myself here because I've watched SO. MANY. SERIES. Of so many different genres. Gonna try and just pick a few standout favorites but I'm leaving out a LOT that have been important to me at various points.
    - Lost. Belongs at the top of the list both chronologically and in terms of how much it affected my life. I was very young and very obsessed with it, the experience of following the mysteries of it in real-time with other fans was so exciting, and even more importantly it was the formative years of my early internet community life, and as you know I've formed lasting friendships and got my start in forum mafia through it.
    - The West Wing. I watched it all on Netflix many years after it originally aired, because I was quite young when it did, but it was an incredible journey. Characters and dialogue all amazing.
    - Gilmore Girls. Similarly, I was a latecomer to this but the dialogue and humor are incredible and I love how real the characters are.
    - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Same creator as Gilmore Girls, so similarly I adore the dialogue, humor, and characterization.
    - Dark Matter. I like to snarkily describe this show as "if Firefly were actually good." I'm kidding, Firefly was great of course, big fan. But Dark Matter stands out as one of the shows I've most enjoyed watching and seeing how its plots unfolded. Very, very well done.
    - The Wire. So intense, I keep meaning to fully rewatch it at some point but it's so heavy.
    - Game of Thrones. Yeah, yeah, it is what it is, I binged all the books one summer and was quite into both the books and the series for a while, though my investment in it kind of dropped off over the years and I still haven't even watched the final season lol.
    - Bojack Horseman. This show is seriously like no other. Simultaneously emotionally devastating and ultra-cleverly hilarious. Every detail is impressive.
    - Avatar the Last Airbender. Just an incredible piece of media on so many levels. The worldbuilding, use of various cultural concepts, the art, the character arcs... just a masterpiece.
    - Over the Garden Wall. Beautifully constructed story with lots of extremely cool themes and many references to folktales etc, packed into a perfect little miniseries.
    - March Comes In Like A Lion. If I start listing all of my favorite anime series as well, I'll be here for another hour, but GTH (lol) if I absolutely had to pick just one, this is probably it. It's just stunningly gorgeous.

Okay I've been typing all this stuff for a while and probably approximately nobody besides me cares about my stream-of-conciousness opinions on approximately everything, so I'm gonna stop there. As I've said I've left out a LOT, from more traditional dramas and dark comedies to various subgenres of Japanese anime to various other Western cartoons... plus more games... and I didn't even get started on movies though I could name a few if prompted to, and besides the actual question just said "literature and games" so I'm already out of control here lmao. Oh $#@! and podcasts too, I listen to a $#@! ton of podcasts, that's yet another whole section. And don't dare get me started on music, I might die of old age trying to answer that...

Man this AMA thing is scary. Somehow like nearly two hours passed while I was writing this, wtf. Being given a platform where it's acceptable to go on and on about everything I'm interested in is just too overwhelming. Damn open-ended questions.
    Last edited by nutella; May 24th, 2020 at 04:34 AM.

32. ISO #32

Wants It More

Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Pokemon Showdown!
    AKA
    ForgotToFlush
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerneas (#2818)
    okay starting from the top

33. ISO #33
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Biggest Fear?
    Losing loved ones / general sudden tragedy fear, this is sort of a generalization of various nightmare scenarios. Also Alzheimers/dementia, both the fear of my mom getting it and the fear of getting it myself (hopefully there'll be a cure by the time I'm old though)

34. ISO #34
    Community
    Canucks.com
    Nutella, seems we have similar taste in books. Sanderson, for example - I read his first (Elantris) when it came out and have read nearly everything of his since. (Although, confession - I've still yet to read Jemisin. I tried, but struggled to get into Fifth Season and put it down after a little while. I intend to give it another go - I've heard such amazing things - but it remains on my to-read list.)

Have you read any other books by David Mitchell? Cloud Atlas is amazing (the movie was a bit meh though) and I personally think Black Swan Green should be one of those books schoolkids read.

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Haha, I understand, but thank you so much for the answer; it was even more than I could have anticipated.

And Bojack Horseman really is something, completely blew me away.

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Radishes (#34)
    Nutella, seems we have similar taste in books. Sanderson, for example - I read his first (Elantris) when it came out and have read nearly everything of his since. (Although, confession - I've still yet to read Jemisin. I tried, but struggled to get into Fifth Season and put it down after a little while. I intend to give it another go - I've heard such amazing things - but it remains on my to-read list.)

Have you read any other books by David Mitchell? Cloud Atlas is amazing (the movie was a bit meh though) and I personally think Black Swan Green should be one of those books schoolkids read.
    No... I've been meaning to read Cloud Atlas for years and still haven't gotten around to it.

37. ISO #37
    Community
    The Syndicate / RateYourMusic

38. ISO #38
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    What about... desert island albums? Let’s say 15.

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedJimmyJay (#37)
    Best CRJ?
    Happy Not Knowing and Let's Get Lost are probably my top two tracks of hers

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#38)
    What about... desert island albums? Let’s say 15.
    Okay this is also hard

Sigur Rós - Ágaetis byrjun
    Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
    Tall Heights - Neptune
    The National - High Violet
    The Family Crest - Beneath The Brine
    alt-J - An Awesome Wave
    Passion Pit - Gossamer
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile - The Goat Rodeo Sessions
    of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
    The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Beach House - Bloom
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Cold Weather Company - A Folded Letter

Ehhhh there's a lot of stuff I left out here plus a lot of these are just what I've had on my all-time list for a long time but haven't been as connected to recently. So maybe not the most accurate or representative of my current taste. Idk

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    I must say I really enjoyed your stream-of-conciousness opinions.

What's the best part of being alive today, in your opinion?
    DoubtingThomas: wtf wisdom $#@!ing derp clearing the living $#@!

42. ISO #42
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    I can't say I agree with your feelings on The Witness though. I got no emotions whatsoever from it, sadly.

However.

Who's your main in Smash?
    DoubtingThomas: wtf wisdom $#@!ing derp clearing the living $#@!

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I must say I really enjoyed your stream-of-conciousness opinions.

What's the best part of being alive today, in your opinion?

Hmm probably the fact that all of this aforementioned media exists and is very easily accessible. Plus being able to communicate easily with people over the internet.

44. ISO #44
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I can't say I agree with your feelings on The Witness though. I got no emotions whatsoever from it, sadly.

However.

Who's your main in Smash?
    Yeah I understand that lots of people didn't have remotely the experience my friends and I had with it and that's cool. We just got so deep :P

I can't really say I have a single main, I tend to play lots of different characters but there are definitely a handful I enjoy most. To name a few I've had significant periods of mostly maining: Lucario, ZSS, Corrin, Sheik, Cloud, Falco. If I really had to pick one probably Cloud.

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    @Macdougall if you still wanna do this, my week is up so feel free to start a thread