Thread: OGI Primer Feedback

1. ISO #1
    Community
    Neoseeker
    AKA
    owned, Mikan

OGI Primer Feedback

Hi, just gonna get in on the ground floor cause a lot of people are probably going to have feedback about it; this is the thread for any and all feedback about the recently posted OGI Primer.

(Please remember not to give feedback that relates to ongoing games!)
    childhood ends on september 30, 2010
    I sincerely appreciate feedback if/when you send it across. I have a terrible response rate. I apologise.

2. ISO #2
    Community
    2+2
    I would separate examples into “ok/not ok “ Rather than jumping between things that are/aren’t ogi. This is just a nitpick.

Looks good otherwise
    Cow - Today at 1:02 AM
    This EoD has given me a deep and profound understanding regarding what it might be liking playing with me when i do stupid $#@! as villager.

3. ISO #3
    i didn't read it because it was too long

4. ISO #4
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

One minor nitpick though, in the section on substitutions, I would change "The following is allowed/not allowed" to "... ARE allowed/not allowed".

5. ISO #5
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself

Only problem I see is that people won’t read it, but what can you do.

This was the first time I heard about mentioning multitabling is now a no-no. I think it's so important, because people do this all the time, that it should be repeated in a more accessable message.
    DoubtingThomas: wtf wisdom $#@!ing derp clearing the living $#@!

6. ISO #6
    Everyone's mom...except Roro__b's dyachei's Avatar
    Community
    SDN
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Great text!

Only problem I see is that people won’t read it, but what can you do.

This was the first time I heard about mentioning multitabling is now a no-no. I think it's so important, because people do this all the time, that it should be repeated in a more accessable message.
    It was also posted in the announcements forum in the section for rules
    Yes I am offcially more annoying than navi. Misson accomplished. - Fable

i have deep seated lust for villager from animal crossing - Cory

7. ISO #7
    I’m referring to multitabling as “pulling a Voxxicus” in the future

good guide though
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    NovoCiv

It needs to be either condensed or broken down into multiple posts with a table. Keep in mind our audience -- you're not trying to change the minds of most of the players that regularly play on MU, just those that are new to our forum or new to how we play and the rules therein. Smaller, more consumable posts go a long way.

I understand the purpose of the post is to expand upon OGI and what it means but I believe the information can be consolidated.

But if you don't do that, you definitely have to do this: provide a real-world example. Contextualize this for new players, that's how many learn before they try to interpret all of these terms or scenarios that likely feel foreign to them anyway. And I know "real-world example" sounds ironic given we're talking about OGI, but I'm talking more about a real-world example within the confines of the game of werewolf itself.

Set the stage for everyone. What even is a game of werewolf?

You hear a blood-curdling scream, what was that?! Everyone runs out of their homes immediately to the village square. There they see Thingyman, the site Administrator, dead, wrapped up in his own green screan. The horror! Who did it? Who is responsible? We have to figure this out!

Everyone is a villager or a wolf, and you've all only known one another in this life. This is it, you get one life. You've not known each other in another life (another game) and you've not experienced this horrific act before (you have no meta to deduce player tendencies based on potential alignment). If SmartBomb gets tired one night from a long day at work, he cannot replace himself with a newer version of himself (substitution should not impact your read based on action), but you're more than welcome to use the "older" version of SmartBomb to inform your decision on the "newer" SmartBomb because they are still the same person and still have the same soul (compiling your read between two different players who occupy the same role).

You only have the information gained in this village circle to inform your decision making, so choose wisely! Any information gained from outside of this particular village should not be applied because it doesn't exist!

(Now, of course, meta is impossible to police (Anonymous FTW!), but you understand the purpose of such an example.)

Of course the story-specifics can be changed and cleaned up, but the premise remains the same. This is something we should all be doing as we consider OGI, what actually is a game of werewolf as it was intended to be? And everyone loves a good story, that's why many of us play.

Let me know if I can clarify these thoughts further. The article is already great, these are just suggestions for how I think it can be even better. Thank you, SmartBomb and staff, for putting this together! It is extremely important for the health of werewolf in general, so I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Beck; May 23rd, 2020 at 10:27 AM.
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    Community
    MiniMafia
    [Person A] is acting strangely. You have caught them on this same read in another ongoing game.
    This is not OGI. So long as you do not mention the italics you can try and read someone on the same lines. Just don't mention the other game.
    I feel like this can be easily confused. Would not be surprised if someone read that and came away with this:

Quote Originally Posted by SmartBomb
    [Person A] is acting strangely. You have caught them on this same read in another ongoing game.
    This is not OGI. So long as you do not mention the italics you can try and read someone on the same lines. Just don't mention the other game.
    Also what about out of game information influencing your reads in the game? Someone claims they're not feeling good and bedridden in the game, and that's why they're not posting much, but they just posted a picture of them at the beach on Instragram with #livinitup and it's not Thursday so unlikely to be a throwback pic. I imagine someone being like "hey I think they're lying about this because of Instagram" is... not okay. Could there be examples of how that may or may not be okay with examples?

10. ISO #10
    Mantichora's Avatar Game Manager
    Community
    MiniMafia
    Like Beck said, the type of people who need this talk are the kinds to just say tldr and ignore it.

Formatting could be changed to make it more digestible.

11. ISO #11
    τη καλλίστη Makaze's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    Community
    Serenes Forest
    AKA
    Mak Daddy
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    Primer is an unusual word that some might not understand. Definitely won't be searched for. Was there something wrong with Guide?
    I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

[12:09 pm] Cory Curren: remember that we are marking down all of your reads to hold for our personal amusement
    [12:09 pm] Cory Curren: anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of lol

12. ISO #12
    Community
    Neoseeker
    AKA
    owned, Mikan
    this is a reminder that I need to look at this cause these suggestions are worth editing around but not today cause i'm full up with stuff
    childhood ends on september 30, 2010
    I sincerely appreciate feedback if/when you send it across. I have a terrible response rate. I apologise.