Thread: What does your username mean?

1. ISO #1
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    What does your username mean?

I've often wondered why people have the usernames that they do.

So I'll start:

I originally called myself Thing because I liked the hand from the Addams Family and the hero from the Fantastic Four.

But Thing was too short, I found, so I changed it to Thingy. Then later on I changed it to Thingyman. And sometimes now it's even MrThingyman.
    Last edited by Thingyman; May 23rd, 2020 at 09:07 AM.

2. ISO #2
    Community
    mafiamaniac
    I wanted to create a detective Don Quixote-esque character, which would be my moniker plus mirror how I play the game.

So I went to fantasynamegenerator. Put in French names (because a Don Quixote detective must be mock French). Found a name I liked and threw around some letters, added some and removed some, and voilà - Boquise was born. What I liked about it was that it also threw together the words book and quiz. Felt fitting tbh
    Last edited by Boquise; May 23rd, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Reeee-ing into the void and flailing around like a magikarp since 2013

3. ISO #3
    GOAT Tier
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Mafia was a game I played on the computer, so when I saw the blinking cursor asking for what username to choose, I thought back to the very first game that grabbed my attention also as a thinking game on the computer, and that was in 1985 on my Commodore 64 -- Zork was born.

I don't even really want to play Zork again. It was really hard for a 13 year old. I'm sure it influenced Myst judging by the similarities, though light-years advanced technologically.

Mafia being just letters on a white screen but filled with such rich strategy and cunning really takes the Zork game to a whole other level, but the homage to Infocom remains.

4. ISO #4
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    NovoCiv

That’s it.
    leaping up into the air getting juiced up beyond belief

5. ISO #5
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Egix is derived from "Engie" i.e. the Engineer from TF2.

That plus the last two digits of my birth year, to make the username unique.

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Blooming Grove, Ohio
    AKA
    Mr. President
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    punchy's the best villager in animal crossing

warren g. harding is the best president
    Quote Originally Posted by theknightsofneeee (#2526)
    punchy feels way different this game but it might just be because now i'm envisioning him being a 60 year old man whenever he posts

7. ISO #7
    Final Fantasy VI was current and Shadow was taken on the Nintendo forums, so I went with Shadow4000 probably because I had a pretty high power level in my spry youth.

The name condensed over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9
    WIM Plus 7 M Plus 7's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

My username is a reference to an experimental electronic album titled R Plus Seven by Oneohtrix Point Never (stage name of Daniel Lopatin) that happens to be an all-time favorite ever since it came out in 2013.

The story is a bit more complicated than that, however. My old username was MovingPictures07, which I created when I was a pre-teen way back when I first became a music addict, in reference to an album (Moving Pictures) by Rush. 07 was the year I was going to graduate high school, and I always liked the number 7.

As time passed, I wanted to create a new identity because I had grown so much distance from my old name and music taste, but I didn’t want to lose my various internet abbreviations. It hit me one day randomly when I was listening to R Plus Seven that I could have my cake and eat it too, and hence M Plus 7 was born.

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Debil

11. ISO #11
    Community
    Canucks.com
    When I was young I got into RPing Redwall online and made up multiple characters to play. After some time, other people became unsure which character name to use to address me (when out of character) and out of amused frustration one of them tried to squish three or four together. The result was something similar to 'Radishes' - I don't remember what exactly, but along the lines of 'Rodishe'. This guy briefly called me 'Mr Radishes' and then switched to 'Master Radishes'. The name actually didn't stick at first, though. But I loved the quirky and unique nature of it, and a little later I was signing up to a non-RP forum and needed a username, and it popped back into mind. I've used it ever since - probably around 15 years now.