Thread: the dover boys

1. ISO #1
    Soul Reader

Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    the dover boys

the dover boys

a dan backslide story

hosted by: modbot v2.0 w/ the assistance of @Stork.. and @Bimps (providing the flavor, make sure to thank him!)
    start date: wednesday, june 29
    sod/eod: 8:00 est sod & eod
    phase lengths: 36/12, continuous.
    mechanics: deadline lynch w/ majority option after day 1, in the case of a tie the lynch will be randomized, no lynch is a valid vote.
    night chat: not allowed, the thread is closed during night phases.
    out of thread communication: not allowed under any circumstances, unless you're provided with a private thread allowing for outside communication. this will be detailed in your role pm.
    post requirement: at least 10 per day

this game is using the matrix12 setup used for season 3 of the mafia championship:

Quote Originally Posted by thingyman View Post

a b c d e f
    1 town jailkeeper vanilla townie mafia role cop vanilla townie 1-shot mafia strongman town odd night cop
    2 mafia roleblocker town alignment cop town doctor mafia ninja vanilla townie vanilla townie
    3 1-shot bulletproof townie 1-shot mafia strongman town tracker town masons (2) vanilla townie 1-shot mafia strongman
    4 1-shot mafia strongman 1-shot mafia bulletproof town vigilante town bodyguard 2-shot town jailkeeper vanilla townie
    5 vanilla townie vanilla townie mafia jailkeeper 1-shot mafia strongman town alignment cop w/ n0 town check town jailkeeper
    6 town vigilante town innocent child vanilla townie town tracker 2-shot mafia roleblocker mafia watcher

the host randomizes a letter or a number, deciding which setup is used. i.e. if the host rands c, then the setup will consist of the roles in the c column. the host then adds 2 mafia goons to the setup and fills up the rest with vanilla townies.

players (17):
    spankgangsta
    brittney
    nachomamma8
    tammy
    crimsonfox
    dyachei
    adrian
    alabaster
    probored
    vin
    spider
    ubermensch
    demonturtle
    metsnfins
    smittyw
    lute
    secondhand revenant

subs:
    mor_tilt
    phighter
    vikestep
    jowy

graveyard/spectators
    theresasnakeinmyboot

the rules:

the most important rule of them all
    never talk about this game with other players outside of this game thread, unless your role pm gives you explicit permission to do so (if you are part of the mafia or a third party team or a masonry).

so this means that you are not allowed to send someone even seemingly innocuous messages such as "wow, this <insert player name> is pretty wacky, huh?"?, "this transformers game is pretty fun" or "i'm so busy right now, which is why i'm barely even posting in the game".

if another player references the game to you outside of the game thread, you need to inform me of this asap!

instructions to fit in, have everybody like you, and always be happy
    • once again, only post/talk about the game in this thread. don't pm other players, unless your role pm allows this. also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • don't try to use the form of your role pm. so a screenshot of your role pm would be cheating. as would discussing the time stamp of your pm.
    • when the thread is open and the game host has announced day you can post in it. but only as long as you are a live player. no deadposting, please.
    • breadcrumbing is allowed. secret codes requiring keys or anything resembling that is not allowed.
    • this is a game of lying. players are expected to lie. no statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. as an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • if we believe you to be bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill. do not try to get fancy or angly with the rules, please.
    • if you have any questions about rules, send a pm to this me, beck. i'd be happy to help. you should not be asking the game host questions in the thread and neither should you ever refer to private communications with me.
    • no hydra'ing / multi-accounting is allowed. do not share your account with anyone else.
    • treat your fellow players with respect. hostility will not be tolerated.

refer to this post for the complete, standard rule-set for mafia games.

using the software (click this if you're new):

voting bbcodes
    our forum votes for someone by using the vote tags: [v]thingyman[/v]. preview:

##Vote thingyman

make sure that you spell out the full, correct name. abbreviations or misspelled names will not be registered by the modbot.

to unvote, use the tags: [unv][/unv] . when unvoting you do not need to enter the name of the person that you are unvoting. preview:

##Unvote

voting buttons
    you can quickly vote for someone by clicking on the box with a checkmark icon, which will bring up an alphabetized dropdown containing the names of living players:

this will insert [v][/v] tags with the name of the player you selected in the dropdown, perfect every time.

click the empty checkbox button to insert [unv][/unv].

submitting night actions
    if you are mafia or a town power role, you need to submit an action each night.

simply do this by scrolling to the bottom of the game thread. here you will find a night action form like this:

click the dropdown and select the player whom you wish to use your night action on. you can change it as many times as you wish before the deadline expires.

calling up a votecount
    votecounts will appear automatically at various intervals, but you can also call up votecounts yourself by following these steps:

first, you need to apply to join "mafia game hosts" under permission groups.

second, once your request has been approved, you will be able to call up votecounts by simply pushing the "post votecount" button in the top right corner of any game thread that you'd like an updated votecount for.

isolating a player?s posts
    if you wish to read a player?s posts in isolation, simply click on ?iso? in the top right corner of one of that player?s posts in the relevant thread as illustrated here:

alternatively, you can access a player?s posts in isolation by clicking on the number next to ?replies:? in the forum lobby.

doing so will pull up a window listing the post counts for everyone who has posted in that thread. you access someone?s posts in isolation by simply clicking on the number next to ?posts:? for that person.

the iso view itself has quote and multi-quote buttons inside it, which will make it very easy to quickly quote a lot of a player's posts for analysis or commentary:

multi-quoting while thread is locked

note that you can multi-quote posts from even locked game threads. this is useful for when you wish to reread the game and do work during night phases.

after quoting the relevant posts, you simply open a different, opened thread and press "go advanced". then add the quotes to your post by clicking the prompt below the post area as shown here:

now, of course you can't post your work in the game thread while the thread is locked, but you can copy paste and save your work to a local file or the cloud and have it ready to post the very next day phase (if you're still alive, that is).

bookmarks
    whenever you open a game thread, you are able to bookmark posts. this is for many players an important tool for keeping track of and remembering vital pieces of information, reads, claims etc.

also, note that these bookmarks are saved to your user account, meaning that it eliminates the trouble associated with keeping notes between different computers/devices.

if you want to bookmark a post, you simply scroll to the post that you want to bookmark and press "set bookmark" as shown here:

this will call up 5 different colored icons (blue, red, yellow, green, and black) on the right side of the post in question. you can click any of these icons, which will then prompt you to include a note for the post.

if you don't want to include a note, you don't have to - just leave it blank. the color coding in itself can be a valuable tool. maybe you want to use red bookmarks for posts that you find suspicious, green bookmarks for posts that you find townie, black bookmarks for posts containing claims, or whatever system you can think of that will be helpful to you.

once this is done, you have now successfully bookmarked a post with a certain color and maybe even a note. if you wish to remove the bookmark again, click on "unset bookmark".

how do i access bookmarks?

there are two ways to access your bookmarks.

1) inside a game thread, you can access the bookmarks for that specific game by simply clicking on "access bookmarks" on any post as shown here:

this will bring you to a separate page that is automatically filtered to only show bookmarks from the game thread that you accessed the page from.

2) you can also access your bookmarks by going to features in the site's top menu:

this will bring you to a page where no bookmarks are shown by default. however, you have several filtering options.

you can filter by game, by player and by color - and all of them at once if you so wish.

here's an example of filtering by only red bookmarks in one specific game:

if you want to be taken directly to one of your bookmarked posts, you just click the post number.

how do i quote bookmarks?

you can also multi-quote bookmarked posts by clicking the little "+" button seen above on the far right side of each bookmark.

once you have multi-quoted all the bookmarked posts that you want to quote, you will then have to go to the game thread in which you wish to quote the bookmarked posts.

here you have two ways of quoting the posts.

1) click on "reply with quote" on another post as shown here:

you will then probably want to delete the last post quoted in the reply box, but otherwise you should be good to go.

2) or you can do the more smooth option and click the "reply to thread" button at the top and bottom of the game thread - as shown here:

by doing this you will open up a reply box containing only your multi-quoted bookmarked posts.

(sorry the images are broken but i ran this entire thing through a lowercase converter and long story short it ruined everything. if you see this pm me and ill give you something!
    Last edited by Bimps; June 30th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.

2. ISO #2
    Soul Reader

Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

tom stood gravely before his assembled audience, who stared back with mixed emotions. some were amazed, having never seen a dover boy before. but others were distrustful, he saw. dover boys were not welcome, among dan backslides, not always. even when they were trying to help...

he shook off his reverie and began to speak. "UNHAND HER DAN BACKSLIDE" he shuddered, remembering that voice, those words. I HATE TOM... I HATE $%#!... AND I HATE LARRY

there was a stir in the audience, but it died down under tom's quelling look.

"we have managed to find and destroy five of the odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap, but four still remain, slowly corrupting their owners and turning them to odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap. somewhere, among you, these odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap lie hidden.

"i cannot help you in this matter. the ways of men are not the ways of the dover boys, and i could be of no help in finding these odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap. i leave it to your fellow kings to discover."

his voice grew firmer. "but mark my words. none but i shall leave this room, not until four odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap have been delivered into my care, with the hands that wore them! until then, the door will be guarded against you. do not try me in this."

at this there was uproar. how dare this upstart dover boy come in here and tell me i can't leave? i have a kingdom to run! that dover boy is trying to take our land while we rot in here. my kingdom is on the brink of starvation, please, won't you just let us out?

but tom ignored them all. he exited, nodding to the two guards on the door. "let none pass, but send the hands of the odd grey-bearded men in a nineteenth century bathing suit and sailor's cap-bearers to me."

the guards nodded, and closed the doors with a booming finality.

narrated by @Bimps

3. ISO #3
    Soul Reader

Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

this is an automated game of mafia.

setup - 17 players

closed
    • majority is not in effect.
    • town wins when all threats to town have been eliminated.
    • mafia win when they achieve parity at any time.
    • no lynching is enabled. vote for no lynch to forgo a lynch that day.
    • mafia kills are assigned. they can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • mafia may communicate at any time.
    • if the lynch vote ends in a tie, then a player will be lynched at random from among the tied players.

phase lengths

days are 36 hours in length. nights are 12 hours in length.

players

@SpankGangsta
    @brittney
    @Nachomamma8
    @Tammy
    @CrimsonFox
    @dyachei
    @Adrian
    @Alabaster
    @Probored
    @Vin
    @Spider
    @ubermensch
    @DemonTurtle
    @metsnfins
    @SmittyW
    @lute
    @Secondhand Revenant

thread will automatically open at 8:00 am est.

4. ISO #4
    Soul Reader

Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

This is an automated game of Mafia.

Setup - 17 Players

CLOSED
    • Majority is not in effect.
    • Town wins when all threats to Town have been eliminated.
    • Mafia win when they achieve Parity at any time.
    • Votes are not automatically locked at LYLO.
    • No Lynching is enabled. Vote for No Lynch to forgo a lynch that Day.
    • Mafia kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    • Mafia may communicate at any time.
    • If the lynch vote ends in a tie, then a player will be lynched at random from among the tied players.

Phase Lengths

Days are 36 hours in length. Nights are 12 hours in length.

Players

@Adrian
    @Alabaster
    @CrimsonFox
    @DemonTurtle
    @Nachomamma8
    @Probored
    @Secondhand Revenant
    @SmittyW
    @SpankGangsta
    @Spider
    @Tammy
    @Vin
    @brittney
    @dyachei
    @lute
    @metsnfins
    @ubermensch

5. ISO #5
    Soul Reader

Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    btw yes i know that post #3 and #4 are like the same, but i didnt KNOW that mafbot auto did it so bah im keeping it

6. ISO #6
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    the dover boys Day 1 Start

Day 1 has begun.

Day 1 ends at 8:00 PM EDT on Thursday, June 30th, 2016. There are 1467331260000 remaining.

7. ISO #7
    Community
    Westeros

##Vote nachomamma8

8. ISO #8
    Community
    Westeros

##Vote ubermensch

9. ISO #9
    Community
    Westeros
    Tammy I like your entrance better this time

10. ISO #10
    Community
    Westeros
    So that's one thing that's better than the last time

Hopefully we will have less activity problems this time too

I'm in favour of as agressive replecement policy as allowed by the rules

11. ISO #11
    Community
    westeros
    This is inconvenient because I thought I would have more time to stock up on my Sopranos gifs.

12. ISO #12
    Community
    Westeros

The endless turbos were slowly eating my brain

It is a sweet death but still

13. ISO #13
    Community
    westeros
    Why vote ubermensch? We can easily find out if he's mafia or not.

14. ISO #14
    Community
    Westeros
    Why vote ubermensch? We can easily find out if he's mafia or not.
    Just a token of brotherly love

You should vote him too

15. ISO #15
    Community
    westeros
    I'll figure him out immediately when he shows up. Just watch.

16. ISO #16
    Community
    Westeros

Doesn't mean you shouldn't vote him now

17. ISO #17
    Community
    westeros
    I'm sure you will

Doesn't mean you shouldn't vote him now

18. ISO #18
    Everyone's mom...except Roro__b's dyachei's Avatar Head Moderator
    Community
    SDN, MU
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    I thought this game starts on Friday?
    This is inconvenient because I thought I would have more time to stock up on my Sopranos gifs.

he asked in sign-ups if we would want it to start earlier.

19. ISO #19
    Community
    BGG
    (Hilarious entrance post that confirms me as good)

20. ISO #20
    Community
    BGG
    ##Vote CrimsonFox
    What's up!

21. ISO #21
    Community
    BGG
    Also, I think I know three people in this game.

22. ISO #22
    Wow, Bimps you need to cut the image censorship in the OP. :P

##Vote Probored

Welcome to Mafia Universe!

23. ISO #23
    Community
    Westeros

I've unfortunately never played with you before. Mind spending this quiet hour on introductions?

Your experience level? Are you stronger in early/late/midgame? Do you prefer scumhunting based on logic or gut? Wallposting or multiposting? Leaders or followers? What's the biggest diiference between the way mafia is played here on on your home forums?

24. ISO #24
    ##Vote SmittyW

Since he always rands scum

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    UTC+08:00
    Community
    RIP EA, ATRL, Become A Living God
    AKA
    SpankGOD, The Prophet & True Queen of MU
    Oh I didn't know the game started already. I'm gonna sleep really soon cuz I have an early date tomorrow but I'm here for the moment. Sup putas

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    ##Vote Secondhand Revenant
    Cuz he suxx

27. ISO #27
    Community
    Westeros

@DemonTurtle hi! Any opinions on the check-ins so far?

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA

29. ISO #29
    Nope, still too early to really see anything. You seem cheerful, though.

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA

31. ISO #31
    Community
    Westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankGangsta (#28)
    Ask me things since I'm here dummy
    Not much to ask yet

But if you want to, the same question as for Demon - anything pinging you about the entrances so far?

32. ISO #32
    Everyone's mom...except Roro__b's dyachei's Avatar Head Moderator
    Community
    SDN, MU
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankGangsta (#30)
    Entrance wise, dyachei has the worst
    gee, thanks.

33. ISO #33
    Community
    Westeros
    @DemonTurtle I'm always cheerful at the beginning of the game

It's not until the midgame when self-doubt, insomnia and paranoia creep in

34. ISO #34
    Community
    westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonTurtle (#29)
    Spider does seem little jumpy.

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Hey @Alabaster @Adrian!

I've unfortunately never played with you before. Mind spending this quiet hour on introductions?

Your experience level? Are you stronger in early/late/midgame? Do you prefer scumhunting based on logic or gut? Wallposting or multiposting? Leaders or followers? What's the biggest diiference between the way mafia is played here on on your home forums?
    I'm gonna answer this
    Started since 2014. Stronger mid game (especially D3). Both. Both but more into wall posting (my easiest alignment tell is that if I don't post ISOs on mid game I'm scum), can be both, the mafia on my home site is really different from here. Phases are shorter, thread isn't locked at night, no vanilla roles (our play depends on the roles a lot), etc

36. ISO #36
    Community
    Westeros
    Better vig me tonight

37. ISO #37
    @Spider You said you liked Tammy's entrance, but when she's town doesn't she automatically say it in her first post?

38. ISO #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider (#36)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin (#34)
    Better vig me tonight
    TMI? Town doesn't know what set-up this.

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonTurtle (#38)
    Better vig me tonight
    Hes just joking
    Why are you accusing of TMI early on the game when its clear that he's joking

40. ISO #40
    Community
    westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonTurtle (#37)
    @Spider You said you liked Tammy's entrance, but when she's town doesn't she automatically say it in her first post?
    I think he liked that she didn't vote him in RVS as in the last game.

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankGangsta (#30)
    Entrance wise, dyachei has the worst
    gee, thanks.

42. ISO #42
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    K I'm going to sleep now since no one is here. Ttyl

43. ISO #43
    Community
    Westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankGangsta (#35)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider (#23)
    Hey @Alabaster @Adrian!

I'm gonna answer this
    Started since 2014. Stronger mid game (especially D3). Both. Both but more into wall posting (my easiest alignment tell is that if I don't post ISOs on mid game I'm scum), can be both, the mafia on my home site is really different from here. Phases are shorter, thread isn't locked at night, no vanilla roles (our play depends on the roles a lot), etc
    Thanks Spanks! Didn't ask from you since I have a bit of a feel for your game already, but it will surely be useful to many others

To everyone else who was asked to/felt they should answer the questions, some additional ones -

How good is your scumgame? Do you have a strong preference for alignments? Are you often mislynched? If so, why? Is there anything that has caused you troubles in previous games repeatedly (e.g. strong language/abrasive personality/low activity etc.)? Do you have trouble getting townread? Your biggest individual strength as a player?

44. ISO #44
    Community
    Westeros
    Tammy is way too experienced for a greeting to be any kind of a real tell. It's just the vibe I'm getting from her now is better than the one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonTurtle (#38)
    Better vig me tonight
    As Spank points out, very quick to cast doubt there. It was an abvious joke - should your accuastion also be taken as one, or...?

45. ISO #45
    Community
    Westeros
    Liked Spank's entrance quite a bit actually

Haven't seen her play a big game other than G4 though so someone will have to fill me in on whether she is more prone to strong starts as town or scum

46. ISO #46
    Community
    mafiascum.net
    Spider, those questions are all too personal for me to answer, please step out of my personal business.

47. ISO #47
    Community
    westeros
    Tammy is way too experienced for a greeting to be any kind of a real tell. It's just the vibe I'm getting from her now is better than the one last time.
    I thought you liked Tammy because she didn't vote you. What kind of vibe are you getting from her one post?

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA

Haven't seen her play a big game other than G4 though so someone will have to fill me in on whether she is more prone to strong starts as town or scum
    Plz G4 is my worst game. I don't even care that I was gonna get lycnhed D3

Villa : http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...2247-Zelda-2-0

Wolf : http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...2451-Pizzaland

49. ISO #49
    Timezone
    Community
    AKA
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankGangsta (#48)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider (#45)

Plz G4 is my worst game. I don't even care that I was gonna get lycnhed D3

Villa : http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...2247-Zelda-2-0

Wolf : http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...2451-Pizzaland
    I replaced stork D2 on Pizzaland lol my team was $%#!ed entirely that game

50. ISO #50
    Community
    mafiascum.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider (#44)
    I thought you liked Tammy because she didn't vote you. What kind of vibe are you getting from her one post?
    ##Vote Spider

^^that