Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Event 2: Walrus

1. ISO #1
    Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Logic's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    Yakostovian, Spacecamp, Planet-Man
    The Mafia Universe Olympics: Event 2 - Walrus

The Mafia Universe Olympics: Event 2 - Walrus

In Walrus you try to submit a song that you think the Walrus host will like and give a good score. That's mostly all you need to understand.

I.e. Thingyman might have a category named "Pop songs from the 90's", and you then submit a song that fits that category and if Thingyman likes it, then you'll probably earn a good score.

There will be 8 Walrus hosts, and they will each have their own category. Based on how well you do, you earn between 0-10 points for any given category.

HOW TO SUBMIT/ENTER
    Send a PM to @Thingyman. You should only submit for 7 of the 8 categories. I.e. one of the categories you should leave BLANK.

A submission would look like this (include YouTube links always when possible - if it can only be found on Spotify, make a note about this):

1. Afroman - Because I Got High
    2. Abba - Mamma Mia
    3. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away
    4. Baby Shark Original
    5. Sean Paul - Temperature
    6. Will Smith - Friend Like Me (from Aladdin)
    7. Eminem - Lose Yourself
    8. (skipping this one)

Note: These are just random songs to show you the format. Note that many hosts like to receive not super popular songs.
    Keep in mind, only 7 entries are needed. If you still want to submit to the last category, go ahead, but make it clear which one you don't want scored.

Deadline: June 28

Tiebreakers will be decided by entrant with the most 1st place category finishes, and if needed, second place category finishes, and so on.

THE 8 CATEGORIES

1. Money money money - a song about money
    2. Wolves and Wine - a song that thematically relates to the game of mafia on at least some metaphorical level
    3. A Good Score - something from a movie, TV, or video game soundtrack
    4. Duck and Cover - bad cover songs
    5. The Interlude - a song that isn't really a full song in its own right, should be pretty short
    6. The Odyssey - a song that goes on a journey
    7. Background Music - music that you think is best heard while you are doing something else
    8. Independent Women - indie pop songs sung by female artists

More info below.

Category 1 - BLOODYRAIN10001
    Money Money (Money)
    Money makes the world go round, so send me a song revolving around it. Anything about cold hard cash and the things it can do goes here.
    I hate country, most Top 40 pop, and rap is very hit or miss with me. 'Indie' stuff tends to be boring but some of it is cool. As for genres I like, I listen to a lot of metal, harder electronic stuff, and disco. Screamo, vocaloids, and music that sounds ‘grating’ is fine. If that’s not enough info then I’ve hosted a couple of walruses, you can always check those. To be honest as long as it's not one of the genres I pointed out as me disliking you'll probably score fine, the main goal is to have fun anyways.

Category 2 - nutella
    Wolves and Wine
    Give me a song that thematically relates to, or that you associate with, the game of mafia on at least some metaphorical level. This can be as broad as having a lyrical theme of "there's a traitor in our midst"/conspiracy/murder, or as specific as containing a word or phrase used in mafia terminology. I'll probably be fairly lenient on category fit as long as I can tell that there's vaguely something there that relates to a mafia mechanic, strategy, tell, or what have you. Genre doesn't really matter, my tastes are pretty broad but I can't guarantee I'll like everything :P

Category 3 - Logic
    To Score Well, You'll Need a Good Score
    Now, the title may be confusing, but what I'm looking for is something from a movie, TV, or video game soundtrack. It's much preferred if it's the score from the composer and not a re-purposed track from a pre-existing band, but if it's on the soundtrack it won't be a category failure. In general, a song written for the game or movie will nearly always be rated higher than one that merely appears in the film, and I love a good instrumental track, and rarely count operatic voices against it.
    Something like The Main Theme to Skyrim would be best, but The Moon Song, by Karen O written for the movie Her would be preferred to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen for appearing in Wayne's World.
    If you are going to insist on sending me John Williams, please be advised that I know almost his entire catalogue, and would prefer something more novel. If you are looking for additional suggestions, here is one place to find them.

Category 4 - KnightsofCydonia
    Duck and Cover
    I like cover songs. Unfortunately, not all cover songs are good songs. So send me bad cover songs, butchered monstrosities that make me want to begin the writeup with "First of all, how dare you."

Worried I'm gonna tank your Olympian scores? Don't be. This is an inverse-scored category. The worse your song is, the better you'll do in this round. So come on, torture me. Let's see who breaks first.

Oops!... I Did It Again by Children of Bodom
    Iko Iko by Aaron Carter
    Greensleeves by three dudes with otamatones

Category 5 - LordQuas
    The Interlude
    Submit a song that isn't really a full song in its own right. Not necessarily a filler track, but a track off an album that would never be a single or get a music video or anything. I wont set a length but it should be pretty short. I know this can be hard for some people based on genres so really I'm just looking for a short song that wraps up nicely if you're struggling.

Rap, metal, jazz, classical, funk, pop, post-rock, drone, synthwave, etc etc I listen to a lot of stuff, genre really should not be an issue. You're going to struggle the most if I think the sound is overdone/cheesy in a self unaware way/generic more than you would with other people. Also try to submit music I haven't heard. I especially value hearing new music in a walrus (or at least something I haven't heard a million times). If you submit a song I know and listen to all the time you'll still probably do well but you're gonna be kneecapped.

Category 6 - Visorslash
    The Odyssey
    I want a song that goes on a journey. Doesn't have to be super long but I want to feel like I've gone through a real progression/transition from beginning to end. This is a particularly vague cat and I won't penalise too harshly on catfit. (could be a story with lyrics, could be musical transitions, whatever.) Pop songs and the ilk probably won't do well here.

I do technically have a walrus you can check for examples of my taste but to save yall the time:
    I like rock of almost all kinds, indie stuff can be a bit hit and miss for me though. I'm a fan of instrumentals and synth. Hip hop is pretty hit and miss. I have reasonably wide varying taste, prefer music to lyrics, bad singing can ruin a song. Submit whatever you think is good.

Category 7 - M Plus 7
    Background Music
    For this category, I want music that you think is best heard while you are doing something else. That activity could be driving, working, going to sleep, studying, exercising -- whatever you prefer. Whether you think it can be also appreciated as the sole focus of attention is fine for me either way.

My taste is rather eclectic yet perhaps unapproachable, but I feel like what I tend to like the most is anything with a strong sense of atmosphere. Broadly speaking, my favorite genres are ambient, experimental, and electronic. If you want much more detail, check out my ongoing walrus OP.

Category 8 - Thingyman
    Independent Women
    The category is very simple: I'm looking for indie pop songs sung by female artists. Bands are allowed, as long as it's only a female singing. (The songs don't have to be about independence, I just couldn't come up with a better category name). I'm gonna be pretty lenient here in terms of whether it's indie pop/dream pop/alt pop.

Songs I don't already know will do way better, so try to surprise me.

In general, I especially tend to like alternative/garage/indie rock, indie pop, indie folk, electronica, K-pop, Eurovision music, film soundtracks and rap.

I'll always award extra points for songs that I haven't heard before - if I like them, that is.

Melody and mood means more to me than lyrics in rock/pop music etc.
    Last edited by Logic; June 14th, 2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes (#2248)
    Man, Logic is hitting hard left and wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt (#101)
    gdi Logic now I have some random-ass document in my phone downloads

2. ISO #2
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Debil
    Do the songs have to be in english? Especially where the categories don't revolve around the lyrics?

4. ISO #4
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Hi guys! I'm tagging you here to let you know that you can now submit for Event 2 of the MU Olympics.

More info in OP. But it's a really simple and fun game: Basically you just submit songs that you like, that you think the walrus host will like, and that fit the category in question.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Do the songs have to be in english? Especially where the categories don't revolve around the lyrics?
    No. Unless the category description specifies otherwise, the songs don't need to be in English.

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC+07:00
    Community
    ToSFM
    AKA
    lemonader
    Do category 8 submissions have to be pop specifically? Just for confirmation.

7. ISO #7
    The CEO Apoc's Avatar Game Manager
    i think the entire Walrus should be @Logic's category

can we do that instead?

8. ISO #8
    Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Logic's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA

can we do that instead?
    Thanks for the support, but that means I can't compete!

9. ISO #9
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Mist
    do we have to post that we're submitting if we do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

10. ISO #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc (#7)

can we do that instead?
    Thanks for the support, but that means I can't compete!
    i now understand why we are skipping a category

haha

11. ISO #11
    Community
    MTGSalvation
    Can the same song be used in different categories?

12. ISO #12
    Timezone
    Community
    ToSFM
    AKA
    lemonader
    I can PM all my submissions to Thingyman for convenience right? And does a parody count as a cover?
    Also my music playlist is mostly just indie/alternative/acoustic stuff so this is hard lol
    Last edited by Xanthopathy; June 14th, 2020 at 09:57 AM.

13. ISO #13
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthopathy (#6)
    I'm gonna be pretty lenient here in terms of whether it's indie pop/dream pop/alt pop.

And to be clear, not looking for straight pop/mainstream pop. Looking for indie pop/dream pop/alt pop.

14. ISO #14
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#9)
    do we have to post that we're submitting if we do it?
    No. You just submit, no more action is required from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhand (#11)
    Can the same song be used in different categories?
    I guess there's nothing to say this isn't allowed. But I'll confirm with the other hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthopathy (#12)
    I can PM all my submissions to Thingyman for convenience right? And does a parody count as a cover?
    Also my music playlist is mostly just indie/alternative/acoustic stuff so this is hard lol
    Yes, just PM it all to me.

And at least your playlist is well suited to my category
    Last edited by Thingyman; June 14th, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Sufficient Velocity
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    For @Logic 's category does it have to be explicitly the version of a soundtrack song that is on the soundtrack? Or could it be, for example, an awards ceremony performance of a song specifically written for a soundtrack?

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    For @Logic 's category does it have to be explicitly the version of a soundtrack song that is on the soundtrack? Or could it be, for example, an awards ceremony performance of a song specifically written for a soundtrack?
    Last edited by Logic; June 14th, 2020 at 11:45 AM.

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Is the first submission final, or will we be able to edit at a later date if desired?

18. ISO #18
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Community
    Kongregate and Smogon
    AKA
    BrainpanSonata, Panic Station
    And does a parody count as a cover?
    I'm familiar with covers that aren't straight-up verbatim, so I'll count parodies as covers as long as the original song is largely recognizable. Something that takes the melody and completely changes the lyrics to a different subject (read: the Weird Al treatment) wouldn't count, but something that riffs off the original and mocks it would count.

And while I'm at it, I'll use this post as my in post.

Last edited by KnightsofCydonia; June 14th, 2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Boquise is the hero we need and the hero we deserve.

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Debil
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsofCydonia (#18)
    And does a parody count as a cover?
    I'm familiar with covers that aren't straight-up verbatim, so I'll count parodies as covers as long as the original song is largely recognizable. Something that takes the melody and completely changes the lyrics to a different subject (read: the Weird Al treatment) wouldn't count, but something that riffs off the original and mocks it would count.
    Do obvious amateurs count here or you want something from proper artists?

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    Community
    Kongregate and Smogon
    AKA
    BrainpanSonata, Panic Station
    Do obvious amateurs count here or you want something from proper artists?
    Amateurs are fine as long as you can get me a YouTube link.
    Boquise is the hero we need and the hero we deserve.

21. ISO #21
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhead (#17)
    Is the first submission final, or will we be able to edit at a later date if desired?
    We judge these as we go, so first entry is final

22. ISO #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#21)
    what if you're in a good mood today but not tomorrow or next week?
    Last edited by Apoc; June 14th, 2020 at 04:41 PM.

23. ISO #23
    Sent. Eh, I've completed Event 2 before Event 1 started.
    много лошо

24. ISO #24
    Timezone
    Community
    PokéHeroes
    AKA
    zoomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#719)
    ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#734)
    gbs is not out of either range. the $#@!posting is basically how he lives his life.

25. ISO #25
    Thread Analyst 3cheersforidiots's Avatar
    Community
    Town of Salem
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    If I have two potential songs that I think are perfect fits to the given category, can I include one of them as my official choice for the category, and the other as an 'honourable mention' that I think the category's host should listen to?

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cheersforidiots (#25)
    If I have two potential songs that I think are perfect fits to the given category, can I include one of them as my official choice for the category, and the other as an 'honourable mention' that I think the category's host should listen to?
    we're likely to have a high number of subs and probably wouldn't get around to listening to extra tracks that aren't to be judged, but feel free to share it after the reveals!

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc (#22)
    Hey, this is a good question. Some of us are playing games with our judges concurrently with this game.
    много лошо

29. ISO #29
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#28)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc (#22)
    Hey, this is a good question. Some of us are playing games with our judges concurrently with this game.
    That is why Event 1 will be wrapped up before we compile points and reveal this one. The judges ofc know how they rated a person on their category, but there are 6 other judges determining the final score for that player.

30. ISO #30
    Low Hanging Fruit MyNameIsNothing's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    ToSFM
    AKA
    lemonader
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsNothing (#30)
    in!
    I don't think posting that is necessary to join
    Last edited by Xanthopathy; June 15th, 2020 at 11:26 PM.

32. ISO #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthopathy (#31)
    in!
    You're not one of those modernist weirdoes who use Discord instead of IRC and QuickTopic™, are you?
    много лошо

33. ISO #33
    Timezone
    Community
    ToSFM
    AKA
    lemonader
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#32)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthopathy (#31)
    in!
    You're not one of those modernist weirdoes who use Discord instead of IRC and QuickTopic™, are you?
    How is that related? You only need to send a PM like the OP said.
    Also, quicktopic is banned in my region.
    Last edited by Xanthopathy; June 16th, 2020 at 01:01 AM.

34. ISO #34
    Well, subscription posts are sort of traditional… but wait.

Now I'm getting serious. Why is QuickTopic banned?
    много лошо

35. ISO #35
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#13)
    I'm gonna be pretty lenient here in terms of whether it's indie pop/dream pop/alt pop.

And to be clear, not looking for straight pop/mainstream pop. Looking for indie pop/dream pop/alt pop.
    Rip my hardcore punk female vocalist sub
    :wiwe

36. ISO #36
    Community
    Kongregate
    AKA
    BLOODY, blodds
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas (#35)

ngl I originally just processed "pop" and not "indie pop"
    now i'm not sure if I catfit at all because I can't define that genre, oh dear

edit: oh, so that's what the genre sounds like, I got this
    Last edited by BLOODYRAIN10001; June 16th, 2020 at 02:31 PM.

37. ISO #37
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOODYRAIN10001 (#36)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas (#35)

ngl I originally just processed "pop" and not "indie pop"
    now i'm not sure if I catfit at all because I can't define that genre, oh dear

edit: oh, so that's what the genre sounds like, I got this
    Yeah I dont listen to this genre at all

I might ask Moose if he wants to guest sub for me
    :wiwe

38. ISO #38
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

39. ISO #39
    Community
    The Bell Tree
    AKA
    Dad
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Submitted! I have to apologize to KnightsofCydonia for what he's about to experience.

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    Eh, can someone explain how to make links like that? Or is it okay to send links that are just pure youtube-link without the name of the song in it?
    DoubtingThomas: wtf wisdom $#@!ing derp clearing the living $#@!

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Eh, can someone explain how to make links like that? Or is it okay to send links that are just pure youtube-link without the name of the song in it?
    (url="linkgoeshere")textgoeshere(/url)

Like that, except with square brackets instead of round ones ofc.

42. ISO #42
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    It is more than okay to just send YouTube links.

In fact, it's preferred.

I've gotten entries with spaces and lines and embedded videos. No, thank you!

Just a clean list of youtube links will do fine.

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    @<a href="https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/member.php?u=6367" target="_blank">Wisdom</a>

There's three ways:

The little globe and chain-link Icon, immediately to the right of the Smily/Emoji icon. gives you this code:
    [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4keFqktC-c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4keFqktC-c[/URL] which results in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4keFqktC-c

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4keFqktC-c]Tiny Piano With 2 Middle Cs[/URL] yields this:
    Tiny Piano with 2 Middle Cs

The other method is better for embedding videos directly into posts. The filmstrip button, 5th from the right of the Smiley/Emoji icon, gives you this code:
    [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/h4keFqktC-c[/VIDEO] which yields this:

Last edited by Logic; June 19th, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

44. ISO #44
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Please dont do the last one, it’s just more work for me

45. ISO #45
    what are you, stupid? Ampharos's Avatar Administrator
    Timezone
    Community
    Smogon | Serenes Forest | EIMM
    AKA
    Amy
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

will sub
    DM Mixolydia#8907 on Discord with any suggestions/comments/complaints/unwarranted compliments (you'll need to friend request me first)
    [6:42 AM] Makaze: people unironically liking amy's themes is tilting

46. ISO #46
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    How would people feel about me adding this little twist to my category:

I'll have my wife listen to all the songs as well. And her 5 favorite songs will each get 1 bonus point.

Go, or no go?

47. ISO #47
    Timezone
    Community
    ToSFM
    AKA
    lemonader
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#46)

I'll have my wife listen to all the songs as well. And her 5 favorite songs will each get 1 bonus point.

Go, or no go? :D
    Why not? I'm down

48. ISO #48

Go, or no go?
    1 bonus point in your personal ranking system i assume?

not 1 bonus point to overall walrus score

49. ISO #49
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

Go, or no go?
    1 bonus point in your personal ranking system i assume?

not 1 bonus point to overall walrus score
    Yes, just my own

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Debil