Thread: I’m Sloonei and it’s my turn to answer your questions. AMA

1. ISO #1
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    I’m Sloonei and it’s my turn to answer your questions. AMA

Continuing the trend of Syndicate regulars taking over MU’s AMA board. Sorry folks.

28/M, currently bouncing around the northeastern United States after finishing grad school in the middle of a pandemic, and playing mafia to pass the time.

2. ISO #2
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    The Bell Tree Forums
    AKA
    Poncho/Panchy/Pinchy/Lunchy/Brian
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    2. Favorite mafia game?
    3. Worst game?
    4. Would you rather rand VT or 3P?
    I like mashes

3. ISO #3
    I make poor decisions when drunk Viggorous's Avatar
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT
    If you were a 401699 ft tall monster made out of pizza boxes, which pizza boxes would you be made out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubtingThomas (#1916)
    u are the imbecile for wanting to lynch me after that d1

just please never call yourself
    VIGGOAT or whatever that $#@! you say

cuz it's really not true not at all after your recent performances and you must feel it

or are you just spite killing me like you did RC?

4. ISO #4
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchyTheCat (#2)
    1. Favorite town game?
    2. Favorite mafia game?
    3. Worst game?
    4. Would you rather rand VT or 3P?
    1. Idk, I've had a ton of really fun and enjoyable games as town. Fiddler on the Roof (The Syndicate) is one that stands out because I felt like I was in control of things from start to finish. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was cool because I made a big dramatic case to catch the final two scums at the end of the game. Fallout Mafia probably featured my single most impressive feat as a civilian in a mafia game. Those are all personal highlights. Turf Wars is a game that was a ton of fun to play but that I ended up losing. I like being town.
    2. Season 3, Game 6: Mad Men [Mafia Championship]
    3. Season 3, Final Game: The Koopa Troop
    4. If I could be vanilla town in every game I sign up for I'd be happy.
    Last edited by Sloonei; June 26th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggorous (#3)
    If you were a 401699 ft tall monster made out of pizza boxes, which pizza boxes would you be made out of?
    I'd want to be pizza boxes with pizza still inside so that I am just leaking pizza as I move around.

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Favorite funny moment/meme from a mafia game?
    Elevator speech on the thesis you just finished?
    All-time favorite books?
    Desert island albums?
    (Copying your question to Jay) fav track on each ntl album?
    Tim Hortons?

7. ISO #7
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Best use of paprika?
    Favorite funny moment/meme from a mafia game?
    Elevator speech on the thesis you just finished?
    All-time favorite books?
    Desert island albums?
    (Copying your question to Jay) fav track on each ntl album?
    Tim Hortons?
    Paprika is never a standout spice to me, but it never hurts anything that it’s in. The place I notice it most is on potato salad.

#poopgate. “Really cool. Goes nowhere.” was fun, but that originated in a walrus. I suffer from recency bias.

Uh um uh, religion is weird, right? What the hell are we doing that for, and what even is it? Like if you hear somebody say that they are or are not religious, that usually actually just means they do or do not consider themselves to be a Christian. But the popular forms of “religion” are just institutional inflections on a thing that seems to be universally experienced. Those forms of religious practice have become so ingrained that we sometimes struggle to look past them, but really “religion” is just our process of orienting ourselves to cosmos. Everyone does it. But mostly I was analyzing William Blake’s poetry to give this argument some credibility.

Thomas Mann’s The Magic Mountain is my favorite thing I’ve ever read. I dabbled in a lot of Joseph Campbell for a while, which is probably reflected in the spiel above. I’m currently reading Lord of the Rings for the third time. I’ve been slowly working my way through one Dune book each summer for the last three years.

I’d probably just take Radiohead’s discography and Flotation Toy Warning, tbh.

Haven’t listened to The National’s self-titled debut, but after that:
    Lucky You
    Abel
    Slow Show
    Bloodbuzz Ohio
    Don’t Swallow the Cap
    Day I Die
    The Pull of You

Tim Horton’s is alright, but I’m told they’ve gone down hill in recent years because they were purchased by an American corporation. That makes everything worse, usually. There was a 24 hour Tim Horton’s right across the street from me in Buffalo. I went there fairly regularly.

8. ISO #8
    Community
    The Syndicate | RateYourMusic
    What's the biggest difference between RYM Mafia Sloonei and The Syndicate Sloonei?

9. ISO #9
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedJimmyJay (#8)
    What's the biggest difference between RYM Mafia Sloonei and The Syndicate Sloonei?
    Confidence. Coming to the Syndicate and seeing new styles of play helped me to identify what I do well and do not do well.

10. ISO #10
    Community

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    UTC+03:00
    Community
    Mafia451

12. ISO #12
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedJimmyJay (#10)
    What do you study as a graduate student?
    Nothing anymore. I am officially an English Master with the documentation to prove it. I studied a huge range of things, from medieval poetry to modern fashion rhetoric. My thesis, as I alluded to already, was about the poet Willian Blake and his views on religion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFlavor (#11)
    Donut vs Cookie?
    On average I prefer a donut to a cookie, but that’s because if I’m going for a sweet snack of that sort I want it to be something big that I only need to eat one of. A good donut is special.
    Last edited by Sloonei; June 27th, 2020 at 04:28 PM.

13. ISO #13
    Community
    the syndicate
    Sloonei now that you are an English Master what do you plan to do in terms of a career? Or are you going on for your PhD?

14. ISO #14
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    Flight Rising
    AKA
    Magy, Magyk
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    What is the best way to eat a potato (i.e., mashed, fried, etc.)?

15. ISO #15
    Community
    Team Liquid Mafia

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    UTC-11:00
    Community
    Further Entertainment

A duck the size of a horse or 100 horses the size of ducks?

2. Which of the following three roles sounds the most exciting to you?

- Third Party Cult Leader
    - Town Vigilante
    - Town Bus Driver

3. If you were a planet in our Solar System, which planet would you be and why?

17. ISO #17
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Sloonei now that you are an English Master what do you plan to do in terms of a career? Or are you going on for your PhD?
    A PhD is not off the table, but I’m not going to dive into that right now. It’s a huge commitment, and I’d like to achieve some financial stability before I do anything else in life. So my next step is starting a career in something. Technical writing is the field I’m most seriously pursuing at the moment, but I’m casting a wide net.

Quote Originally Posted by MagykalWagykal (#14)
    What is the best way to eat a potato (i.e., mashed, fried, etc.)?
    Oof. I’d say there’s no wrong way to eat a potato, but if I saw you taking a bite into a raw potato like an apple I’d probably become very sad. Fries are an unhealthy food that I will make a blanket exception for. I never turn them down if they’re available. Mashed potatoes done well are the best side dish in most contexts. A good baked potato makes any meal better. My mom makes a mean potato salad. And I can’t possibly neglect scalloped or roasted potatoes while we’re here. Jeez. You’ve stumped me, or tapped into my inner Sam Gamgee. Any potato is a good potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyflare (#15)
    What is a 'Sloonei'?
    Sloonei is a nonsense word I made up when I was 12 and have adopted as my internet moniker everywhere I’ve gone since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermynator (#16)
    1. What would you rather fight?

A duck the size of a horse or 100 horses the size of ducks?

2. Which of the following three roles sounds the most exciting to you?

- Third Party Cult Leader
    - Town Vigilante
    - Town Bus Driver

3. If you were a planet in our Solar System, which planet would you be and why?
    1. I would take the horse sized duck, but I’d opt to just distract it with a large loaf of bread.
    2. Town vigilante. I’m too democratic to be an impulsive shooter, but I do like the power that comes with secretly holding onto the ability of removing any player I want from the game. I tend to hold onto that ability for as long as possible when I have it. Bus drivers are too chaotic, and whenever i’m third party I end up forgetting that I’m not town. My profile says my favorite role is vanilla town. That’s not a lie.
    3. Probably just Earth, honestly. Jupiter and Saturn are gas giants we know little about. I don’t think I can relate. Beyond them we get cold ice/gas world. It would be fun to say I’m Uranus, but this is a serious discussion for serious adults. Venus is deadly and Mercury is too close to the sun. I could be Mars if you consider me to be intriguing and mysterious. But Earth is a nice peaceful place, and I aspire to be more like it.

18. ISO #18
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

19. ISO #19
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#18)
    Proudest moment or accomplishment?
    Hmmm getting accepted to grad school felt like a bigger achievement than actually getting my degree. The latter is a foregone conclusion of the former, so that feeling of acceptance was bigger to me than the culmination of the experience. But that doesn’t feel like the proudest thing.

I don’t have kids or anything, so I lack the typical answers. One time my friend and I hiked to base of the Grand Canyon and back to the top in one day, in open defiance of the warning signs marking the trail. That was pretty awesome and probably the most exciting day of my life so far. I felt proud at the end.

20. ISO #20
    Community
    Canucks.com

21. ISO #21
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Radishes (#20)
    What's a question you want to be asked?
    “What’s a question you want to be asked?”

22. ISO #22
    Community

23. ISO #23
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedJimmyJay (#22)
    How'd you meet Lady Sloonei?
    On the internet, completely by accident. We'd known each other for years online, gradually getting to know each other more and more to the point where we were talking every day and felt silly about it, so we agreed to meet up and hold hands. We've been holding hands ever since.

24. ISO #24
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    RYM / The Syndicate
    On the internet, completely by accident. We'd known each other for years online, gradually getting to know each other more and more to the point where we were talking every day and felt silly about it, so we agreed to meet up and hold hands. We've been holding hands ever since.
    ahhh this is soooo cute. does she play mafia?

how does it feel being my favorite mafia player ever?

also...Willian Blake and his views on religion...i know that's probably a loaded topic but what ARE his views on religion, summarized for me cos im super curious now.

is william blake your fav poet?

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    RYM / The Syndicate
    what's your fav thing to eat (after cheeseburgers)?

what's your fav physical possession?

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    RYM / The Syndicate
    what's your fav sport to spectate (i know the answer, but maybe others dont), and what's your fav sport to play?

do you realize we've known each other for years and years?

is it cool having a name that starts with z? or were you always picked last in school stuff when they went by alphabetical order?

27. ISO #27
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloonei (#23)
    ahhh this is soooo cute. does she play mafia?
    No, I've tried to get her to play many times before though. I've made a harder pitch to her now that the world is on lockdown, but she doesn't think she'd enjoy it. I'll keep trying.

how does it feel being my favorite mafia player ever?
    Humbling. I melted the first time you said that to me and don't why you said it. I'm just Some Guy.

also...Willian Blake and his views on religion...i know that's probably a loaded topic but what ARE his views on religion, summarized for me cos im super curious now.
    They're... weird. He was a weird guy. In a good way. He set himself up in direct opposition of John Lock and Isaac Newton, but was also vocally opposed to the church and all forms of institutional order. He argued that mankind's creative impulse is our primary faculty and our entire world is invented (literally "imagined") from that, and all else is derived from that. So he comes to treat that animating principle of human consciousness as a link to the divine state; the Imagination is divine, and so all life is holy. Nothing is evil, but the repression or negation of energy is cruelty. He was partially writing in response to Enlightenment ideas about Reason as the supreme faculty, and what he viewed as the problems inherent in that. "Reason is the ratio of what we have known", so it is a useful tool for creating sense of existing knowledge, but it is not the ultimate end we should aspire to, since the ratio can always be expanded, but not if we rely solely on reason. He views the church as an institution which has drawn a line to separate acceptable from unacceptable behaviors, when true Christianity should just be about forgiving people for their imperfections.

is william blake your fav poet?
    Maybe, I dunno. I don't actually read a lot of poetry on my own or think about "poets" as a separate school of writers. I was drawn to Blake because he had a lot of ideas that resonated with me and touched on questions I'd been asking myself for years. It's also a bit unfair just to label him a poet. He wrote in prose plenty of times, and was also a painter/engraver. Wacky guy.

28. ISO #28
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    what's your fav thing to eat (after cheeseburgers)?
    A really juicy peach, or a handful of mixed berries. Also pizza.
    Too much red meat makes me feel sick. I'm a bad American.

what's your fav physical possession?
    My laptop is the thing I use the most. I like my running shoes, but I burn through those in under a year. The pair I have now is one of the best that I've had though. The nerdy book answer is my old hardcover copy of The Riverside Shakespeare. I like to collect T-shirts from all the cool places I travel to as little mementos of the experience, so those all have sentimental value.

29. ISO #29
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    what's your fav sport to spectate (i know the answer, but maybe others dont), and what's your fav sport to play?
    Baseball and baseball. I've been pretty restless without it this summer, but that's going to solved in a few weeks! Soccer is my second favorite to play, but I only watch the major tournaments.

do you realize we've known each other for years and years?
    I do! Coming up on a decade now. Where does the time go?

is it cool having a name that starts with z? or were you always picked last in school stuff when they went by alphabetical order?
    I don't mind it. My last name is also an end-of-the-alphabet name, so I was always near the bottom of every list no matter how it was sorted.

30. ISO #30
    WIM Plus 7 M Plus 7's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet (#13)
    A PhD is not off the table, but I’m not going to dive into that right now. It’s a huge commitment, and I’d like to achieve some financial stability before I do anything else in life. So my next step is starting a career in something. Technical writing is the field I’m most seriously pursuing at the moment, but I’m casting a wide net.
    From someone who perhaps should have had more financial stability prior to her PhD endeavor, even though she doesn't regret it for sure, this is a good approach, haha.

Talk more about baseball!

Favorite memory watching a baseball game?
    Favorite baseball game you have been to?
    What do you think of the returning format and/or what would you have done differently?

31. ISO #31
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#30)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloonei (#17)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet (#13)
    From someone who perhaps should have had more financial stability prior to her PhD endeavor, even though she doesn't regret it for sure, this is a good approach, haha.

Talk more about baseball!

Favorite memory watching a baseball game?
    Favorite baseball game you have been to?
    What do you think of the returning format and/or what would you have done differently?
    I’ve been a Red Sox fan all my life, so the 2004 postseason is the most special sports memory I have period, one of the best experiences of my life in general. I still get chills thinking about it. I think it’s the reason I still care so much about baseball.

The “best” game I’ve been to was probably a complete game shutout by Josh Beckett several years ago, but it wasn’t a close game so it wasn’t the best in the sense of it being thrilling to watch. I went to a game at Fenway in September 2016. It was the end of David Ortiz’s career and it felt like everyone was there just to see him. He hit a home run and no one sat back down in their seats for like two full minutes.

I’m just happy there will be baseball after all, and I appreciate that the players and coaches and everyone is willing to play the game at this moment in time. Obviously a 60 game season with strange new rules is less than ideal, but I can’t complain about it given the circumstances. It’ll be interesting.

32. ISO #32
    Furry Collective Keeper of the Swans Michelle's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    AnimeBase
    Tell me please your favorite music genre/band/song.
    What do you like to visit when going in a new place?
    Where would you like to travel the first time after the corona times?
    Since when do you play mafia and
    what gives you your joy to play?
    Last edited by Michelle; July 1st, 2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phighter (#3563)
    MU is not a betting game, it's a lie detection and lying game.
    Quote Originally Posted by El-ahrairah (#4792)
    But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the sun, and Michelle is the east.

Quote Originally Posted by ladd (#933)
    jaleb probably willaging too

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrman (#13168)
    Wolves never w peek someone
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilica (#720)
    Some pressure makes Diamonds out of coal so why not do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mich-El (#3032)
    Update: Michelle has gone to a Christmas Market! Until she returns, you just got me.
    Quote Originally Posted by m; on December 25,2019, 20:21, discord chat
    you guys make perfect partners in crime :slight_smile:

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall (#2318)
    By the reads formulated yesterday, I hereby declare you, Michelle, scum by PoE, and sentence you to death for the accusation of High Treason and Werewolfing.

##Vote Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Dimma Davidoff (#102)
    Mafia is a real world game. The situations in Mafia are real, and one can not use anything but oneself. It is life. Very dense life. Look at it this way - Mafia are zombies, they are not free, they are bound by their knowledge of each other and a need to eliminate others. Citizens are free to make their own bounds. If you learn to do it well, then you could find zombies (people with alliance with past) in real life and turn them over to your side of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trustworthy Liberal (#153)
    Well am here not here sorta-kinda asleep but kinda not 3 expresso shots was too much so let me think of something to entertain you most likely won't and will just pass out the second the expresso wears off, to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#15)
    I'll get right on downloading the PM's directly into your brain.

Coming on Christmas 2040.

33. ISO #33
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle (#32)
    Tell me please your favorite music genre/band/song.
    What do you like to visit when going in a new place?
    Where would you like to travel the first time after the corona times?
    Since when do you play mafia and
    what gives you your joy to play?
    I struggle to name a favorite genre. If a thing sounds pleasant then I like it. Radiohead are my favorite band by a wide margin. The National are probably my second favorite. Radical Face is an artist that I can put on any time as well and enjoy it. Having one favorite song is limiting because every song tries to evoke something different, y’know? Some favorites include:
    Radiohead - There, There
    Radiohead - Lotus Flower
    The National - Slow Show
    Sol Seppy - Slo Fuzz
    Lately I’ve been really into Alexandra Savior.

Canada, to see Mrs Sloon again. We got stuck on opposite sides of the border when all this started. I might just end up moving there before the border opens back up if some of the pessimistic reports I’ve heard come true.

I’ve been playing since 2011, I think. Maybe it was 2012, but ‘11 feels more accurate. My early years are on RYM, and all the games hav been wiped from the public record, unfortunately. The thing that keeps me coming back to the game is the hunting process. I’m a nerd, so my approach to solving a game is a lot like my approach to analyzing a book. Sometimes when I get stuck while writing an essay I pretend I’m just playing a mafia game and vice versa. I also like my syndicate pals.

34. ISO #34
    Community
    TheSyndicate/RYM
    My week is up, and I believe @Jackofhearts2005 asked to go next? If he didn’t then he's going to anyway.