Thread: Shad Walrus 2020

1. ISO #1
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Shad Walrus 2020

Please read "How to sub". Thanks. This is 90% copypasta from previous runs:

The plan -- Signups will remain open through July 19. Late entries are ok but may be at a disadvantage for scoring. Alt subs are welcome within reason; if it becomes an issue I'll limit that later. Once entry is closed, I'll take roughly three to five weeks to score unless something unexpected comes up. When that's done, I'll reveal two categories per night Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday at roughly 9pm EST. I'll extend to Sunday if necessary, but full reveal should happen in a single week.

Points -- I use a completely arbitrary 0 to 10 scoring system with an above-average focus on category fit. Distribution is somewhat relevant to strength of field, with typically 1-3 tracks tanking hard and 3-5 getting 9+.

What to sub -- I would highly recommend sampling the tracks I provided. Beyond generic enjoyment, I'm usually looking for whether a tune captures a particular aesthetic I've laid out. The samples should hopefully flesh out a lot of vagueness in my descriptions.

HOW TO SUB -- PM me a Youtube or equivalent link to each of your submissions via the forum. Do not name the songs in your post or link them to me on Discord. If you feel inclined to share thoughts on your submission, spoiler them. I only want the raw URL. I don't want to know which tracks are yours. I find out who wins live, with you.

Tastes -- I wrote this when I posted my first Walrus and find no fault in it today, but with the exception of what to absolutely not submit (yes, someone sent me an auto-0 track once), I think pursuit of category fit is way more important than style. I don't "dislike" any genre, I just find a higher ratio of hits to misses in some. And for goodness sake don't sub Greta Van Fleet.

You're golden: aesthetic metal, post-rock, folk punk, vaporwave, alt/outlaw country

You're probably fine: vgm, psychedelic with balls, post-hardcore, drone, noise, indie with diverse instrumentation, hip-hop, chiptune, electronic stuff, stoner rock and metal, post-metal, non-theatrical avantgarde, folk metal, black metal, tech death metal, bluegrass, classical, folk, blues, jazz, most genres with a -wave suffix

Middle of the pack: lots of stuff

Good luck: superficial metal, pop country, hard rock, rock 'n' roll, mainstream punk, pop that isn't supposed to suck, ska, "prog metal" as a stereotype, theatrical stuff, songs from musicals, power metal that isn't exactly Blind Guardian, anything that gets labeled "world music" by choice, R&B, meathead $#@!, heavy music that actually attempts to sing well, probably anything that has ever been mentioned in Rolling Stone.

You're just getting a 0: anything that sounds remotely reminiscent of Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, or the Steve Miller Band. Also your favorite 80s metal band sucks.

There is a special place in hell for you: Babymetal

1. Spring
    The morning air's still deliciously crisp, but the world's coming to life around you--a foggy mist in bloom. Sweet mornings and smooth nights flowing along to the constant warm rain.

Samples:
    Smashing Pumpkins - I of the Mourning
    Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
    Radiohead - Dollars and Cents

2. Summer
    And summer, my nemesis. My relationship with heat has always been rocky. I'm the guy who scrapes snow off his car in shorts and a t-shirt. I try to immerse myself in any environment, but the summer requires mental fortitude. Chillaxing beach vibes will do nothing for me. I can kick back, say screw it, and embrace the beast, but not without some attitude or comical excess.

Samples:
    Kendrick Lamar - DNA
    Ray Wylie Hubbard - Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother
    Horsehunter - Nuclear Rapture

3. Iieeeeeeeee
    Send me something Asian in origin. Israel doesn't count. Russia doesn't count unless it's not ethnically European, like Tuvan music for example. This isn't a "folk" category; I had more of a Japan/Korea core in mind, but I don't want to be too exclusive here. If you are going to pursue a folk line, just avoid anything that could fly in Eurovision. I am especially curious about kpop, for whatever that's worth. That doesn't guarantee anything in my arbitrary garbage scoring process.

4. Spirit
    Send me something with major gospel influence or just straight-up gospel music. I'm not very familiar here, so popular songs are probably safe. Here are a few I adore for the taste-o-meter:

Kanye West - Ultralight Beam
    Zeal & Ardor - Built on Ashes
    Chance the Rapper - Finish Line

5. The Toe Sucker
    Ok so... I want you to send me a song I don't like. I don't mean a guilty pleasure or comedy tune here. I want to walk away from repeated listening experiences thinking "Wow, that sucked." I'm going to basically grade this in reverse order. The more I like the song, the lower you're going to place. We're going for an experiment here. It's easy for me to fail a tune on cat fit or for just being wildly outside of my taste range, but if everyone aims for that I'm curious whether I authentically dislike any of it. I try to approach subs with a blank slate as best I can, and at some point "bad" converts into a positive comedy or diy appeal. I want to see how much the relative value of the field plays into my appreciation of individual tunes. I want to see if this is a self-defeating exercise or if there are sounds out there that just rub me wrong on a fundamental level any way I cut it. We're going to have to set some parameters for this to work:

Don't sub any thing released before 1985. I hate that old analog production sound. This is an identified peeve.

Unfamiliarity is important. Try to avoid pop sensations from the 20th century. Chances are I am sufficiently familiar with it to walk in with a huge bias. Basically no Pink Floyd, Rush, AC/DC, etc. I've conveniently spent the last 20 years under a rock, so 21st century hits are ok, though if it's achieved meme status you may inadvertently entertain me.

Don't sub anything openly racist/homophobic/etc. That should go without saying, but it could have a home in this category and we're just not going to go there.

6. The Best The Best The Best The Best
    No particular gimmicks this time, just send me the most fun track you've got. I don't even care if you've subbed it to ME before. Six is always my wind down and have fun category, and I'm going to rate these strictly on whether they make me want to crank up the volume. For the uninformed, I have a highly exploitable sweet spot for memes.*
    *MU staff have informed me that I will be permabanned if I let Rick Astley win again. Don't sub it.

7. Despair
    The sun has fallen down, and the billboards are all leering, and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles. We're collectively past a breaking point, looking back in shattered exhaustion at an irreversible loss. Bleak resignation, emptiness, half-hearted last ditch attempts to make internal amends. Ideally, I would like this to feel broad in scale, maybe even apocalyptic. Less a deep personal loss in isolation, more a societal collapse or complete mental and physical ruin. Maybe the samples can help clarify what I'm getting at.

Samples that nailed it for me:
    Oxbow - It's the Giving, Not the Taking
    Masafumi Takada - Trial END
    Liturgy - Total War

Vs samples that could fair decently but miss the scale factor:
    Mount Eerie - Real Death
    Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack

8. Rebirth
    We're still in this hell. There's no escaping that. But a will remains in the ashes. I'm looking for a song that progresses from a dark place into the light--not necessarily triumphant, but pulled up by its boot straps and ready to soldier on.

Samples:
    Envy - A Will Remains in the Ashes
    A Silver Mt Zion - What We Loved Was Not Enough
    Bright Eyes - Let's Not $#@! Ourselves

Received so far:
    1. Egix96
    2. MyNameIsNothing
    3. schadd
    4. Adam
    5. Jockmcplop
    6. LordQuas
    7. ladd
    8. Zack
    Last edited by Shad; Yesterday at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

2. ISO #2
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Last edited by Shad; June 30th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

3. ISO #3
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00

hell. $#@!ing. yes.

/in
    :wiwe

4. ISO #4
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    I feel like I really half assed most of those descriptions, but I don't feel like putting more time into it now and wanted to get it up soon enough for a July 19th deadline to be viable.

Oh well.

5. ISO #5
    Timezone
    Everyone else: "Oh sweet, maybe some old school ice cube or surf rock or--"
    Shad: "NUCLEAR RAPTUUUUUUUUUURE"

6. ISO #6
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

7. ISO #7
    Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Logic's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    Giant in the Playground
    AKA
    Yakostovian, Spacecamp, Planet-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes (#2248)
    Man, Logic is hitting hard left and wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt (#101)
    gdi Logic now I have some random-ass document in my phone downloads

8. ISO #8
    WIM Plus 7 M Plus 7's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

9. ISO #9
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Mist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

10. ISO #10
    yes

11. ISO #11
    working on it, but going to in

12. ISO #12
    Community
    Kongregate
    AKA
    BLOODY, blodds

13. ISO #13
    The Self Narrator Owner Of A Lonely Heart's Avatar
    Community
    personalitycafe.com/daily mafia
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Can I have 2 alts? This is the first time where I’ve considered it. @Shad

14. ISO #14
    Low Hanging Fruit MyNameIsNothing's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

15. ISO #15
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Two subs and already one of you didn't read the first sentence of my post. gg XD

16. ISO #16
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Owner Of A Lonely Heart (#13)
    eeeeh let's keep it to max two subs per person

17. ISO #17
    The Self Narrator Owner Of A Lonely Heart's Avatar
    Community
    personalitycafe.com/daily mafia
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Owner Of A Lonely Heart (#13)
    eeeeh let's keep it to max two subs per person
    okay, there's so many great songs to pick for the gospel category; it is hard to choose just 2 songs. Thanks.

18. ISO #18
    trying to pick a cat 5 song off my playlist when you have the closest taste to mine out of anyone i've met on the internet

19. ISO #19
    Mafia Backup Amrock sheepsaysmeep's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Community
    aops
    AKA
    sheep
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by moth (#67)
    Stop calling things natural. This world isnt natural. You can get butt implants and $#@!

20. ISO #20
    Yeah!
    Descarga las mejores plantillas currículum totalmente gratis y completamente editables en formato Word.

21. ISO #21
    Community
    Board Game Geek, werewolv.es
    I understand if you don't want me to do this so that is why I'm asking but I would like to experiment with this in a sense.

I would submit all the songs. Would it be okay if I got a group who all enjoy songs to each pick one for this challenge and then I submit them as I'm the only one of them on this site?

I'm just kind of curious to see what the avaerage ranking would be if I did it like this. I understand if not.

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    1453 Mafia

time to flex my weird taste in music

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    PokéHeroes
    AKA
    zoomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#719)
    ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#734)
    gbs is not out of either range. the $#@!posting is basically how he lives his life.

24. ISO #24
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfHunter (#21)
    I understand if you don't want me to do this so that is why I'm asking but I would like to experiment with this in a sense.

I would submit all the songs. Would it be okay if I got a group who all enjoy songs to each pick one for this challenge and then I submit them as I'm the only one of them on this site?

I'm just kind of curious to see what the avaerage ranking would be if I did it like this. I understand if not.
    I mean if you have a secret Walrus club of people who want to hydra sub I don't really care. Just send me 8 links without descriptions.

25. ISO #25
    Community
    Board Game Geek, werewolv.es

I mean if you have a secret Walrus club of people who want to hydra sub I don't really care. Just send me 8 links without descriptions.
    awesome just wanted to see /in

26. ISO #26
    Timezone

ngl this sounds sick

I've thought about doing it before, I might imitate it for this one if I can

27. ISO #27
    Community
    Team Liquid