Thread: Tim's No Man's Sky Photojournal

1. ISO #1
    Professional Mod Pesterer Timsup2nothin's Avatar
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    Tim's No Man's Sky Photojournal

Since I need another project I have decided to do, as the title implies, a photojournal of my current playthrough of NMS.

Now for some double edged warnings.

On the one edge, there will undoubtedly be things that might be interpreted as spoilers since NMS sort of auto triggers the plots and isn't real cooperative about totally ignoring them. There will also be some things that might qualify as 'tips and tricks' that you may wish you had had the chance to think of for yourself.

On the other edge, the 'plots' in NMS are pretty much on par with most Dr Seuss stories and in fact overshadowed by The Cat In The Hat. If you are worried about game plot spoilers you are worrying about the wrong game to begin with.

Second.

On the one edge, I really hope you appreciate this project, whoever you are, and welcome your likes and comments.

On the other edge, this is not a life's work opus here, and there may be long delays or even an abrupt ending at any time.

Enjoy.

Tim

2. ISO #2
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    This is my initial crash site. Those familiar with NMS will see at least a couple clues, so yes, I have in fact already been to the space station and back. For those who have not played, your intrepid narrator there in the foreground has traded in his tacky yellow standard issue exosuit for the spiffy blue one, and there is no smoke pouring out of the ship since it was repaired before the picture was taken.

These giant space donuts were a major reason I wanted to come back here and take pictures.

They make for a remarkable sunset. I considered establishing my first basecamp here.

3. ISO #3
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    One of my useful tips is that the NMS camera function makes an excellent recon drone. Before committing to any base location by switching to camera mode and taking it to the maximum extent of its tether straight up you can do a pretty good survey of the surroundings.

In this case I snapped this picture because of the building you can see in the center of the frame. It is far enough away that it wouldn't really interfere with my base if I was totally committed to building by the giant donuts, but I'm really not.

Again, those who have played the game know that to fix my ship I had to visit a nearby building. That is not it. That shelter is hidden from my drone, behind a ridgeline somewhat right of frame.

By the way, time stops in camera mode. As you have probably noticed this is a desert planet and it is HOT. The time stop allows for clowning around taking pic doing valuable recon without getting broiled or otherwise damaged.
    Last edited by Timsup2nothin; July 9th, 2020 at 10:04 PM.

4. ISO #4
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    Heading out to meet the neighbors I encountered these veeheads...

...and these shellbacks.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    It was dusk by the time I got to the neighbor's place, which was disturbing since there was no one living there. Just this spooky haunted house.

Better go explore the nearby cave and wait for daylight before I go inside.

Yup, this place is seriously rekt.

Eggs?

Like Crackerjacks, the eggs have a secret surprise inside!

However, these are NOT delicious caramel corn!

There goes the neighborhood!!!

In the next installment I will be looking for a more upscale site for my base camp, but it will have to wait for the exosuit to get back from the cleaners.

C ya!

6. ISO #6
    Community
    ToS
    AKA
    Mist
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    mfw you accidentally sell your soul for a modpeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Lads (#305)
    God is real, and she is haunting my dreams tonight.

7. ISO #7
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist1422 (#6)
    should've called this no tim's sky imho
    Timsup2nosky

8. ISO #8
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    As an aspiring photojournalist I do not intend to do a lot of the grinding resource collection that passes as game play in NMS.

Okay, that's just a bald faced lie. The grinding out resources is actually the main reason I play NMS at all. What the less charitable might call mindless drudge work, I...well, okay I have at times called it that. But I have learned that it is an excellent way to unwind from other high tension activities such as forum flaming, or Mafia playing, or actually doing work. So while that aspect of the game is not likely to show up much here, it will be going on.

I will point out some aspects of it now and then though, and now is of course now.

Or I guess really now is now and that was only now then.

Anyway...

I already mentioned exploring the cave by the haunted house. The main benefit of caves is that they are cool. Not that kind of cool, actually like sheltered from the desert heat cool. This saves on environmental protection costs, and since I was doing a lot of wandering around with the AC blasting in my suit that was becoming an issue. Even just the basics of fueling up my life support system was becoming an issue. That makes these cave poppers the number one benefit of caves.

As a photojournalist I have to say that I did the best I could there. Cave poppers are like the wart on Aunt Sally's nose, there's just no angle that makes them really attractive. They do however provide one of three things when they pop. Oxygen, which is the base fuel for life support systems, or sodium, which is the base fuel for environmental protection systems.

The third thing is toxic gas, which is how they pop if you just run up on them without blasting them with a laser first. Not recommended. So, caving requires blasting the poppers which provides needed fuel, and is sheltered so that it doesn't expend fuel for environmental protection. Win win. Plus, as I said, caves are cool.

9. ISO #9
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    With the local caves depleted and a safe load of fuels for my various systems it was time to say goodbye to the giant space donuts and look for a friendlier neighborhood.

Maybe this is a possibility. At least these people don't have big monster eggs for lawn ornaments.

Hmmm. Nobody home.

There's a cave conveniently close by.

Better take a closer look to see how big that is.

Yup, that's big. You can see that better since your intrepid explorer has stepped into the shot. If you didn't notice the tiny guy in the exosuit it is because the cave is BIG, which was the whole point.

10. ISO #10
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    Since nobody was using these shelters anyway I decided to borrow them. Later on I'll be building my own, but for now the Cat in the Hat sa the extensive game plot requires setting up a base somewhere...anywhere...at least temporarily.

This open shelter offers a good place to set up my portable refiner, since I can stand under there out of the sun while I operate it.

Having claimed the site I am offered a paltry supply of blueprints and commanded to build shelter. "But why?" you may ask, since clearly I have been left in a pretty good situation by the previous tenant. Because the Cat in th that's called for in the plot.

So I start building my scrappy little wooden hut, and wouldn't you know it a huge storm inconveniently blows in before I can get the roof on.

I could throw the roof on real quick and hide inside while my suit recovers as if this plot twist had caught me by surprise, but I'll just wait it out in the comfortable shelter I conveniently landed at as if I knew this would happen.

Once the storm passes I finish building the tidy little campsite that the plot calls for.

Looks a bit like an outhouse, actually. I could leave it there, but I really have better things to do with the carbon. So I will just tear that eyesore down and recycle it.

11. ISO #11
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    While I was tearing down the outhouse these tuskbeasts wandered by. I considered the possibility that despite their lack of thumbs they had built the shelter I had commandeered and that we would have to reach some sort of rental agreement, but they offered no complaints. They seem like outdoorsy types.

Ringed planets make for good views.

And with the sun setting on my borrowed home I will call this installment complete.

More later.

12. ISO #12
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    I have no idea what this game is but I know 65daysofstatic scored the soundtrack.

Do I win something
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

13. ISO #13
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    I dunno if I made an error in game saving, or if tearing down the outhouse caused some sort of glitch in the plot. Anyway, I wanted to rebuild the outhouse and I had already used the carbon so a little resource gathering was in order. That's not the source for the best photo ops, but I figure this once it can illustrate another tip. There are two types of resource gathering, and they don't overlap as well as you might think. This is gathering useful resources.

This is a space pumpkin.

Source of carbon. On some planets they have a little bit of other stuff mixed in. It takes a whole lot of pumpkins to build a house. There is seldom a good reason for Smashing Pumpkins beyond the headphones in the exosuit helmet.

If you wanna build a house, what you really need is usually a forest.

Build a house from big trees. Or at least from the carbon that they yield in fairly large quantities.

While trekking to the forest and back I caught sight of these butterflies? Birds? Not really sure. Even running the camera out on tether I couldn't get close enough for a good close up, but what the flock, this made a nice picture. I'll try to get a close up later.

I did get a closeup of this guy. I'm calling him a Tortoise-shell Cat.

I was a little concerned about him because creatures with cat parts are more commonly predatory towards photographers than a lot of other creatures are. Also, he was alone. That's also sometimes a bad sign. He was happily munching plants though, so no problem. Or maybe rocks. Not really sure. Not me though, so okay either way.
    Last edited by Timsup2nothin; July 11th, 2020 at 09:40 PM.

14. ISO #14
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    That was gathering useful resources. If you gather too much they fill up all the corners in the n dimensional compression space which is your backpack. Then you have to sell them for pretty much nothing. Pro tip: gather what you need when you need it. There's always trees. There's always rocks.

If you want money you have to gather valuable things. These are often useless. For example, in caves there are giant space pearls.

The 'humming sac' looks a lot like the monster eggs from the haunted house, but space pearls are found in, or at least near, caves rather than in front of haunted houses.

Money is good because...well...because it is money. Being an aspiring photojournalist doesn't really pay, so a backpack full of space pearls allows for buying stuff that is hard to find just laying around. Good metal for example. Sometimes you can find it. Sometimes you have to find stuff and refine it. Sometimes it is easier to just buy it.

Metals are often found in big deposits like this.

Which leads to a serious oddity in the gigantic galaxy of NMS. These guys.

Sentinels. They are the fun police. Near as I can make out, at some point in the great galactic past a crazed environmentalist mated with a nanotech engineer and birthed these things. They are available everywhere, in neverending supply, and they get mad if you shoot stuff. A rock. A plant. A predatory animal that is trying to eat you. They are equal opportunity about getting pissed off.

With one odd exception. The same little eco-warrior unit that will have a cow about you zapping a rock will just lazily drift around while you reduce that mineral deposit to a smoking crater.

Some things ya just can't explain.

Anyhow, enough grinding resources. Sun set on the way back to base, so I leave you with this shot of the night sky.

Later!

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    UTC-07:00
    Community
    CivFanatics
    those pearls look rad

the tortoise-shell cats have strong spore vibes

16. ISO #16
    Community
    Civ Fanatics Center
    With all my resources laid in I was able to build some cool equipment for my base.

The glowy ring thing is a teleporter of absolutely astounding capability. Step in there and I can go to any space station I have ever visited. Right now of course that means one, but still. It also somehow transports my little spaceship to the station and parks it in the hanger bay! Not really sure how that part is supposed to work...

But hey, who can really complain about an unrealistic matter transporter disrupting their immersion in an otherwise realistic game where you never take off your exosuit to pee, or eat for that matter.

While I was putting that together these guys flew over and reminded me that I had promised them a close up.

Base fully equipped the cat in the h highly developed plot said it was time to follow a mysterious comm signal. This is one of my favorite parts so I eagerly flew off in the middle of the night. The com signal is in there.

The famous wrecked freighter! Dunn-dun-DUH!!!!
    Truth is, like everything else in NMS you run across these things at random all over the place, but it is still always cool when the plot leads you to one. I should have made a bet with that bird thing about the color and style though. There are a lot of different styles, and different colors, but they all have one thing in common.

As the sun came I up I enlisted this herd of V heads to help me explain.

Yup. Freighters are huge. One engine nozzle could swallow me and the entire herd of V Heads without even a burp.

A long hike and some jet pack action to give you another perspective.

I could hear Jack's ghost shouting "I'm the king of the world!"

Having collected the message from the secret decoder ring hidden in the distress beacon and looted the cargo holds of the giant wreck into my tiny backpack...immersion, remember, and no I never did stop to pee...

I flew away with a sad backwards glance through the viewfinder.