Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Unbalanced (invitational)

1. ISO #1
    Know the dark side Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Star Wars: The Force Unbalanced (invitational)

Coming this fall....

Approximately Octoberish...

A sequel TEN YEARS in the making....

Star Wars: Fall of the Order
    Game thread / Info thread
    hosted by Askthepizzaguy

Itself a sequel to the legendary first game, inspired by:

Star Wars: Return of the Sith
    Game thread

hosted by Sigurd

The final struggle in this Expanded Universe Star Wars Trilogy...

Between the Light and Dark sides of the Force...

An original story in the "Nomi Sunrider" Trilogy timeline.

Both sides have prevailed before...

But if the Force is brought permanently out of balance...

Which side will be the one to claim final victory?

2. ISO #2
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Game Information and preview of rules and mechanics

Hosted by Askthepizzaguy
    Cohosted by Garden Gnome, Arapocalypse possibly others.

35 players. Any hydras will count as a single player. All must be host-approved.

Invitational- spaces must be reserved and players are in by invite or host-approval.

Experimental- some mechanics introduced this game will be new and therefore not properly tested yet.

Non-competitive- if you care about your "stats" this isn't the game for you. Play to win, but if it's not balanced, oh well I suck eggs.

Light Game- Long Day and Night Phases (for this group, anyway) 72 hour Day Phase, 48 hour Night Phase at game start, will reduce to 48/48 or 48/24 as the number of living players is reduced in half, and half again. See below for additional info about Twilight and Dawn.

Twilight / Dawn: There will be 2 hours for Twilight and 2 hours for Dawn so that night actions can be calculated and flavor for the game can be written within those 2 hours. Modbot will not reveal role or alignment, the game host will. So, 72/48 actually becomes 70/46, as you will not be able to post during Dawn, and no vote changes will count after the 70 hour mark (for start of Twilight). Edit: except in the event of a tiebreak vote.

No Majority Elimination- Modbot will count votes but never end round early unless ALL living players PM the game host and demand MAJ be turned on, which it will.... on the next round of play.

Maximum Daily Post Cap- As the game is intended to be for slightly busy people (and a slightly busy game host), you will be limited to an average of 50 posts per real life day, or 150 per Day Phase, to prevent the large player base from drowning the thread completely. Long Night phases allow people to read up on the game and get their choices in. I've also specifically invited a lot of players unlikely to drown the game.

Night Selections and Night Actions- Most players in the game will begin with or eventually learn Night Actions. It is vital for your own enjoyment that all players send in an answer or an action for every choice they are given, and every opportunity they have to do a Night Action.

Influence your Character's Story- Before the game begins I will ask you a series of questions. Your answers will greatly impact the future development of your character, and also, give your character a personality and a purpose.

Influence your Character's Development- During the game I will ask you questions each Day. Your answers must be submitted before Night begins. Your answers will determine how your character develops.

Influence your Character's Growth
    - Depending on your choices, you will be asked to choose from a short menu of new abilities, when you learn new abilities. Or these new abilities may be randomly assigned.

Improved mechanics- Force Breath was annoying, for example. This error will be corrected. Your daily Eliminations are precious to you, and will not be stolen so easily... or without consequence.

No forced recruitment- This is therefore not a Cult game. While changing alignment is possible, it can never be done without your authorization. Therefore, if you play for the Light Side, your win conditions can never be altered against your will. If you play for the Dark Side, your win conditions can never be altered against your will. Should you refuse a recruitment offer, you face death instead as the most likely outcome.

Improved tiebreaks- In the event of a tie, the first vote switch or additional vote placed will break the tie, even if you've already voted for that player. Daily eliminations will never result in 2 players eliminated, and the elimination will never be randomized. If players refuse to break the tie, neither player will be eliminated and Town therefore loses that day's kill power. You've been warned.

No Elimination is not an option otherwise. You would have to vote to create a tie and never break it, so it would be a unanimous decision by all players if that happens. It is otherwise broken in this setup and won't be allowed except under this very specific circumstance. There is no wisdom in hesitation. The Light Side must prevail.

Anti-Town Holster is also not allowed. If an Anti-Town faction has a factional night kill, it must be assigned to a player and an attempt carried out. There is no honor in timidity. The Dark Side must prevail.

Improved Force Ghosts
    - They will not be able to talk in the game thread, but they will place a vote that is added at the very end of the round, through private message. You will be informed of their vote only when the final tally is posted by the Game Host. Force Ghosts will be able to discuss the game in their own private channel.

Players whose characters "die" are therefore possibly still eligible players. However, they can never use any night actions and they can never discuss anything in the Game Thread containing living players, and their ability to place a vote is limited to the above conditions.

Improved balance of the Force- should either the Light or Dark sides of the force become extremely powerful due to player choices or one side naturally stomping the other, be advised that the side with the least amount of power in the game hosts' opinion will become stronger with the Force as a result, keeping the game from being a foregone conclusion. The manner in which this happens was determined before the game and in an unbiased manner for Town and Anti-Town and will not be invented on the fly to influence the game outcome. This is simply a failsafe in case the game design is breakable..

There are no ITA sessions,
    despite the game complexity this is not a Mash.

No quoting host communications, no quoting PMs, no quoting ability and flavor descriptions of your actions.

Almost all communication with the host, role PM, and ability descriptions or images are not allowed to be quoted.

You are allowed to say your character's name and what mafia-game-abilities you might have. These would be considered "Active abilities" and you must choose them every night or they won't work at all.

For example, if you have an investigative power, you can say that you can investigate. If you have a protective power targeting someone else, you can say that you can protect people. If you have a vigilante / kill ability, you can say that you can attack people at night. Don't discuss any further flavor-related details of those actions, as that specifically identifies the exact power you are using and that unbalances the game.

You are not allowed to discuss your "Passive Defenses" or say what they are. Just be grateful they are there at all.

What you are allowed to say will be spelled out, and what you are not allowed to say will be spelled out, for each ability (passive or active) that you may receive, in bold red text.

Read anything that is bold and red, and you will never be modkilled unless you start flaming people or breaking forum rules.

Accidental rulebreaks of this kind will result in compensation against your alignment, and you are probably quite vulnerable to attack that night in a manner that might not be stoppable.

Egregious rulebreaks or deliberate rulebreaks in the host opinionwill result in a modkill at host discretion.

Host prefers to avoid modkills especially in a non-competitive game like this. If you are not modkilled, make sure you follow the rules from there onward, and expect something nasty in your future regardless.

Click spoiler to expand this wall of info.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; August 7th, 2020 at 05:38 AM.

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    35 slots, feel free to reserve spaces well beyond 35 since it won't begin for months.

Whoever is still around and wants in gets in.

If I get enormous interest I'll adjust the game and expand it by several people. Otherwise, 35 is the game design maximum.

People who have reserved space so far:

1. Raskolnikov
    2. Logic- can't commit to the date yet.
    3. Zwerdjib
    4. Wisdom
    5. Dyachei + Benneh (hydra for busy people)
    6. Yoloswag + Fairyjigglypuff (hydra for busy people)
    7. Thunal33
    8. TheGoldenTyranno
    9. Hallia + Effen (hydra for busy people)
    10. Mendel + catgode (hydra for busy people)
    11. Ace Marvel
    12. DaisyCloud
    13. Takhisis
    14. Hollowkatt
    15. Timsup2nothin
    16. Montmorency
    17. Marcher Jovian
    18. Dolbster
    19. choxorn
    20. Poison
    21. Jumpluff + Adam (hydra for busy people)
    22. Capage (pzelda)
    23. Megumin (Trustworthy Liberal)
    24. Secondhand Revenant
    25. SuperMonkeyFace
    26. Roro__b
    27. Ciderhead
    28. WaywardSon
    29. Syn
    30. Ranmilia
    31. Duplicitous Weasel (Killjoy)
    32. Beskar
    33. Lendunistus
    34. Insaner
    35. Punchythecat
    36. Jarema
    37. Ignoramus
    38. Alice Liddell
    39. Dawoodle
    40. Hydreigon25

Substitute players:

1. McGinty
    2. Sheepsaysmeep
    3. Csargo (late game emergency)

Dropped-

• Evaaaa
    • Ampharos
    • FTFlush, Fenrir
    • Golden1Knight

NOTE: KEEP RESERVING SPACES. Several players either can't commit to the date, or would prefer to be a substitute player since their schedule is busy.

The Emperor's Hand

If you would like to observe the game from Force Ghost chat, as a spectator and never a player, PM me.
    If you would like to reserve your name as a Substitute Player, but not as an initial lineup player, PM me.
    If you would like to in-dictate your in-terest and in-tention to jo-in the game as an in-itial lineup player, PM me.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; October 18th, 2020 at 04:41 AM.

4. ISO #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#3)
    Takhisis
    This dude is abiding.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    CivFanatics Center

I am in.

edit: this sub-forum is such a great idea. so sexy folks
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; August 7th, 2020 at 04:04 AM.

6. ISO #6
    Most Likely Asleep Secondhand Revenant's Avatar
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Secondhand Revenant
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Would love to be in with room and pizza permission permitting

7. ISO #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondhand Revenant (#6)
    Would love to be in with room and pizza permission permitting
    If you want to qualify as a CFCer, Dolbster and biancasbotique are about to start signups for a game of their own over at CFC.

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    This mix of peeps is pretty hype if you ask me.

I have more outstanding invites than slots remaining but, since it's 2 months away and people are likely to change their minds or stuff comes up, it's almost guaranteed you still can get in even if we hit 35.

Worst case scenario, you can sub in, as the game probably takes at least 8 weeks to play out. It is rare no one subs out in that time.

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    totalwar.org
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    If you get to 35+ you can move me to be a sub ATPG.

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Would be interested in playing, but looks like game is close to full and you said you still had invites out. lmk if you would.

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardSon (#10)
    Would be interested in playing, but looks like game is close to full and you said you still had invites out. lmk if you would.
    GOATwardSon probably gets to play. Several of those invites are like 5 days old with no response.

It's also 2 months away and some peeps are gonna behave in a wayward fashion between now and then.

I think Logic and Csargo for example are folks who'd like to play, and will tell me if they can closer to the date, but also probably can't play.

So the list isn't as full as it looks.

We'd love to have you.

12. ISO #12
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Peeps who wanna be in, but miss the 35 person cutoff, just reserve your name and you are probably first up if a space opens up or someone drops out or someone decides to be a sub instead or if we need a sub or if I randomly decide to make this a 39'er or something wacky due to extreme interest.

I think I know a way of expanding the game size without throwing it out of balance. So.... feel free, keep signing up.

I'll make a final decision about cutting things off when game is close to starting, and will mass PM everyone to confirm they're still in, and will change the setup to match the number of interested parties closely.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; August 9th, 2020 at 07:11 PM.

13. ISO #13
    Pizzaman, need I remind you that you are pregnant and should take that into account when planning the schedule for this?

14. ISO #14
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#13)
    Pizzaman, need I remind you that you are pregnant and should take that into account when planning the schedule for this?
    We* are going to be if* biology and medical science deliver a miracle, so we're not quite there yet. And it has been taken into account.

It's designed to wrap up before the end of the year, when my paternity leave for baby 1 ends.

15. ISO #15
    Excellent. Because at this rate I am beginning to fear that you're actually growing new mafia hosts in a pod with funding from Thingyman or something.

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#15)
    Excellent. Because at this rate I am beginning to fear that you're actually growing new mafia hosts in a pod with funding from Thingyman or something.
    If that was a thing, I could have finished out Resident Evil.

17. ISO #17
    Don't remind me…

18. ISO #18
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy (#11)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardSon (#10)
    GOATwardSon probably gets to play. Several of those invites are like 5 days old with no response.

It's also 2 months away and some peeps are gonna behave in a wayward fashion between now and then.

I think Logic and Csargo for example are folks who'd like to play, and will tell me if they can closer to the date, but also probably can't play.

So the list isn't as full as it looks.

We'd love to have you.
    Sounds good.

19. ISO #19
    Community
    The Syndicate / CFC
    In

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    Community
    totalwar.org
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    My schedule changed so I'm out completely. If you are in desperate need of a sub/player then you can PM me @Askthepizzaguy , but it would be in an extremely limited capacity. Sorry friend.

21. ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    My schedule changed so I'm out completely. If you are in desperate need of a sub/player then you can PM me @Askthepizzaguy , but it would be in an extremely limited capacity. Sorry friend.
    We will miss you at the party.

I'll consider you for like a late game sub if someone goes inactive or also can't finish out the game.

That way you wouldn't be signing up for months of stuff nor much to read per day.

22. ISO #22
    Community
    2+2
    In to hydra with @dyachei

23. ISO #23
    Everyone's mom...except Roro__b's dyachei's Avatar Head Moderator
    Community
    SDN, MU
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    I'd be willing if pizza is ok with it

24. ISO #24
    Community
    The Syndicate / CFC
    I assume hydra means two people sharing the same slot? Do they switch off days or what?

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    Smashboards
    AKA
    swag
    two players make a third account. that third account is used by them as its own slot

both players can post under the account at any time

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    The Org
    Someone in the course of play needs to use "I can't die. Death is a concept invented by the Jedi." I don't care who.

Take it, it's free.
    Last edited by Montmorency; August 13th, 2020 at 04:35 PM.

27. ISO #27
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#22)
    A wolf and a cool cat, all rolled into one. Please, pizzaman, allow them the chance to be guests.

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    I assume hydra means two people sharing the same slot? Do they switch off days or what?
    Yeah essentially they will be one player, one account. I just happen to know it's two people using the account.

Usually that sort of thing isn't allowed in like a competitive game, or a game where not everyone is a hydra.

But this isn't an ultra competitive game and some peoples who wanna play also has busy schedule and could use an extra set of eyes to play the game, given its duration.

As long as I know these peeps are hydras, I'm cool with it.

29. ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    The hydra people can chat between themselves on a private thread or a discord channel (or both).

The rule will be, you're not to quote from that chat, paraphrase, summarize, or even talk about what you talked about in that channel.

That chat is, for all intents and purposes, nonexistent to the other players in the game.

You wanna use the space as a notebook, that's fine, just don't quote your inter-hydra dialogue. It's never to be used to determine your alignment or to be shared publicly. Otherwise any hydra that rands wolf would need to elaborately pretend to solve the game and provide evidence of such solving on request, and that's a big nope from me.

The hydra is for your convenience only, it's otherwise not gonna be part of play.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; August 13th, 2020 at 09:15 PM.

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    That should make it so the hydras and solo accounts are treated the same for all purposes relevant to the gameplay.

Some people will have a split personality, and varying opinions on the game state. That's as much as it should affect the game at all, besides helping busy people keep up.

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
  32. ISO #32
    Banned

Timezone
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Last edited by ELITEofWarman8; August 17th, 2020 at 01:22 PM.

33. ISO #33
    Oh look at that, Warman still follows you here too, I take it?
    Last edited by Choxorn; August 17th, 2020 at 05:46 PM.

34. ISO #34
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Oh look at that, Warman still follows you here too, I take it?
    Not anymore he doesn't, Pizza remarked....

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    Community
    The Org
    Hey Pizza, sign me up if there is a place.

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    There's always a place in Star Wars for mandalorian steel!

37. ISO #37
    Wooot Beskar returns!

38. ISO #38
    Timezone
    AKA
    lendun
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

hi waluigi, you said this

so now i’m checking out if askthepizzaguy also gives good games. make waluigi proud

(also if you need a co-host feel free to beep me. i don’t know basically anything about star wars but hosting is kind of my specialty)

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org

We shall see if this is a good game. It's got a lot of bells and whistles. Sometimes too many of those makes people cranky.

Plus, it does have the word "unbalanced" right there in the title. XD

One thing I can do is get some of the stuff out of the way before the game, while we wait.

For example....

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Whether you eventually decide you're unable to make it and play, or that you can, or if more people join, or not, it doesn't matter.

One thing I will need from everyone before they can be an eligible player is to answer a questionnaire.

These things will help the game hosts understand what sort of personality your future Jedi might have.

For each question, there will be a neutral / I don't know type of response, and it is perfectly valid to send me a questionnaire that has nothing but such answers. That means your character is like a blank slate and the game host, namely me, will fill in all the blanks myself.

But if you had a preference for certain things, what would they be?

For each player slot, meaning, hydras can discuss among their own slot if they wish, you must keep the answers to this questionnaire private until the end of the game, in case any of the answers affect the game design.

No stress. The main questions that help develop your character come during the game. This before the game stuff will have low or no impact.

For an idea of how little it might affect the game, I refer you to an old Playstation Portable game called Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. There were questions before the game that mildly impacted your character stats to a barely noticeable degree, and the questions were seemingly totally unrelated to the end result. In this game, there are no stats like that anyway, and the link between the questions, answers, and end result may be just as tenuous.

What I was just talking about can be found at the very start of the following video, so you get an idea of how random the questions may seem or how irrelevant they may be:

But one thing it does for me is it helps me get to know what sort of Jedi you'd like to be.

And, it makes it so the end result is not just host whim, or random.org created. Although, some answers might counter-balance other answers you give, which means the random gods must still decide.

To reiterate, you can't discuss your answers to these questions with any other player. You can leave any answer blank that you wish, or return the neutral / no response type answer.

These answers will not impact your starting alignment, rank, or whether you rand a powerful starting role (akin to randing a town Power Role) or not. That stuff will be randomized.

Raskolnikov
    Logic
    Sheepsaysmeep
    Zwerdjib
    Wisdom
    Dyachei
    Benneh
    Yoloswag
    Thunal33
    TheGoldenTyranno
    Hallia
    Effen
    Golden1Knight
    Mendel
    Ace Marvel
    DaisyCloud
    Takhisis
    Hollowkatt
    Timsup2nothin
    Montmorency
    Marcher Jovian
    Dolbster
    choxorn
    Poison
    Jumpluff
    Adam
    Capage
    Ampharos
    Megumin
    Secondhand Revenant
    SuperMonkeyFace
    Roro__b
    evaaaa
    Ciderhead
    Fenrir
    ForgotToFlush
    WaywardSon
    Syn
    Ranmilia
    Killjoy
    Beskar
    Lendunistus
    Insaner

I will try to develop the questionnaire and send it out to each player sometime today or tomorrow or... soonish. When the survey is sent out, I'll ping everyone.

I will then want an acknowledgement PM even if you never answer any of the questions for whatever reason, otherwise this isn't the game for you because every round, you'll be sending something to the game host whether you've got an active power or not, and future questions can help your character develop.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; August 28th, 2020 at 03:16 PM.

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    You see, the idea for this game was originally going to be Tactics Ogre flavored, and the mechanics were still going to be based on the previous star wars game. Basically, the same engine under the hood, but different story flavor.

Then I decided, well.... why not host a direct sequel instead? And if the mechanics work fine, then they're already well tested for the Tactics Ogre game I've been planning forever.

42. ISO #42
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Ace Marvel, you'll get a kick out of that opening in particular, since you enjoy Tarot cards so much.

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Oh, and free advertisement for a very old game (SNES, PS1 era) that got a semi modern remake as a playstation portable game:

If you enjoy turn based fantasy battle strategy games, akin to final fantasy tactics, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together was the original.

It's one of the best games you could ever own, and decidedly the very best game of that particular genre, in my opinion.

Particularly if you like a game you can easily invest hundreds of hours into. Can't tell you how many years I've played that game.

It's up there with Medieval 2: Total War in terms of how many years and hours I've put into it. Spoiler, I started playing Medieval 2 like, 13 years ago. I still do.

The freedom, options, and flexibility for how you build your characters and team in a given battle are pretty endless, and same with Medieval 2, and what armies you bring to battle, and how your empire forms throughout history.

I like trying to devise a better team, a better battle formation, a better empire. So I get a lot of replay value out of these old games.

Nothing much to do with this mafia game, just saying.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; August 28th, 2020 at 02:25 AM.

44. ISO #44
    Quote Originally Posted by lendunistus (#38)
    i don’t know basically anything about star wars
    Who is this person? Why are you in my space?

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    If more people join the game they will get the same questionnaire. No one will be left out.

46. ISO #46
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#44)
    Quote Originally Posted by lendunistus (#38)
    i don’t know basically anything about star wars
    Who is this person? Why are you in my space?
    Space is vast.

In space, no one can hear you nerd out.

47. ISO #47
    I hope that you can nerd out finding out what scene I'm quoting there.

btw have you changed your Discord address, pizzaman?

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Takhitty (#47)
    I hope that you can nerd out finding out what scene I'm quoting there.

btw have you changed your Discord address, pizzaman?
    Google tells me nussing.

I can be reached at 221b Baker street. Wait, no, that's not it. Waluigi#6869 is the one I'm using these days.

49. ISO #49
    Community
    MafiaManiac

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    Forums.totalwar.org
    I got extra bodies in case people drop, forget, go inactive, etc.

And if everyone shows up, I can slightly expand the design I think. No probs.

Then I can be extra vicious when it comes to using the Will of the Force to yeet inactive players from the game should it come to that, because we got extras and town doesn't have to waste yeets on the folks that didn't show.

Extra, extra, yeet all inactives.