Thread: Tangy's Walrus

1. ISO #51
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#50)
    it only took 18 deadline extensions but i'm in
    You're definitely not the only one! Glad to have you.

Besides, I'm used to dealing with students, deadline extensions are a way of life.

2. ISO #52
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#49)
    Okay, so I know my schedule for this week and the next couple better now that I'm into the swing of this semester, and honestly I won't get to listening until this Sunday anyway... and more importantly, I don't want anyone interested or actively working on subs to get cut off if possible so. At this point I'm also okay with whatever amount of subs I get, as it's clear this will be a lot of work that I'm excited about anyway. So also no player cap that anyone has to worry about. If you sub, you'll get in. Just need to set a hard timing deadline for my own sanity nonetheless.

Setting the absolute final day to submit or change subs or any of that to end of day (Pacific time) Saturday, February 6th.

Mentioning people who have subbed already (in case you want to switch any subs) or otherwise expressed interest or intent (or played last time and didn't express lack of interest and/or time. if I forgot you, which I likely did because this is far from exhaustive and I did this really quickly, please still sub if you'd like!)

@Adam
    @Aladyyn
    @Ampharos
    @birdwithteeth11
    @BLOODYRAIN10001
    @Boomslang
    @Cuthalion
    @Guillotina
    @hollowkatt
    @KarmaDope
    @Keldeo
    @LordQuas
    @Marcher Jovian
    @Mistyx
    @MyNameIsNothing
    @nutella
    @Newcomb
    @Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    @ploonet
    @Roman
    @roro__b
    @schadd
    @Schiavetto
    @Shad
    @vanity.
    @Visorslash
    @Zack
    Reminder that today is the final day for new subs or changes to subs!

3. ISO #53
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#52)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#49)
    Okay, so I know my schedule for this week and the next couple better now that I'm into the swing of this semester, and honestly I won't get to listening until this Sunday anyway... and more importantly, I don't want anyone interested or actively working on subs to get cut off if possible so. At this point I'm also okay with whatever amount of subs I get, as it's clear this will be a lot of work that I'm excited about anyway. So also no player cap that anyone has to worry about. If you sub, you'll get in. Just need to set a hard timing deadline for my own sanity nonetheless.

Setting the absolute final day to submit or change subs or any of that to end of day (Pacific time) Saturday, February 6th.

Mentioning people who have subbed already (in case you want to switch any subs) or otherwise expressed interest or intent (or played last time and didn't express lack of interest and/or time. if I forgot you, which I likely did because this is far from exhaustive and I did this really quickly, please still sub if you'd like!)

@Adam
    @Aladyyn
    @Ampharos
    @birdwithteeth11
    @BLOODYRAIN10001
    @Boomslang
    @Cuthalion
    @Guillotina
    @hollowkatt
    @KarmaDope
    @Keldeo
    @LordQuas
    @Marcher Jovian
    @Mistyx
    @MyNameIsNothing
    @nutella
    @Newcomb
    @Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    @ploonet
    @Roman
    @roro__b
    @schadd
    @Schiavetto
    @Shad
    @vanity.
    @Visorslash
    @Zack
    Reminder that today is the final day for new subs or changes to subs!
    Close to the end of the submission period! If I get the sub like... relatively soon tomorrow I guess I probably won't say no, but otherwise this is definitely the last call.

4. ISO #54
    is it ok if i sub sometime in the next 6 hours?

5. ISO #55
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#54)
    is it ok if i sub sometime in the next 6 hours?
    Go for it! I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on it because of like... something that minuscule in terms of the grand scheme of timing.

6. ISO #56
    haha snuck it in only 13 minutes past the deadline the professor will never notice

7. ISO #57
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion (#56)
    haha snuck it in only 13 minutes past the deadline the professor will never notice
    In my experience this happens even more often than you'd probably think, hehe.

8. ISO #58
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Alright, I'm going to officially close this off to new submissions and submission changes now. Thanks to all of you who subbed and those of you that considered it but didn't make it.

We ended up with 29 participants, which is 1 more than my last walrus, and I thought the barrier to entry for this setup would be absolutely more significant, so the widespread effort is absolutely appreciated.

I plan on assessing and revealing categories in order, so Wholesome 2.0 will be first. The tentative plan is to reveal categories within an Act designation in back to back weeks, and then take a week or two break in between one Act and another, so I can pace myself appropriately. For example, Wholesome 2.0 and Calm will be one week and then the next, but then we will take time before Masking.

While it would be awesome to get in the Wholesome reveal next weekend, that may be ambitious, so I will make sure to keep you all informed ASAP, once a reveal date is clear enough in advance.

If any of you have requests for reveal timing, please do not hesitate to let me know. My initial inclination is to strive for the timeframe for my first walrus I had going before my transition started, which was starting between noon and 1pm Pacific time on Saturdays.

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone!

Last edited by Tangrowth; February 7th, 2021 at 07:21 PM.

9. ISO #59
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Happy Monday, walrus participants! Two things I want to say.

First, the live reveal for our first category, Wholesome 2.0, will indeed take place at Saturday, February 13th starting 12:00PM PT / 3:00PM ET / 8:00PM GMT. I have already managed to make enough progress and schedule further listening to ensure this will happen. I really hope to see many of you there!

Second, regarding my scoring this walrus, I have been refining my approach and transparency after the results of my first walrus as well as my use of increasingly nuanced categories (as evidenced by my category write-up descriptions of most or all of the cats this time vs. last time.

For purposes of providing clearer feedback, my Base Score calculation comprises the average of two scores, one for enjoyment and one for catfit. This will be hopefully less of a black box for you all this time, even though this largely aligns with the loose spread I was grading feels-based cats (Funereal, Wholesome, Anxious, and Introspective) on last time. For example, you may be assessed an enjoyment score of 8.2 and a catfit score of 7.6, and your Base Score then becomes 7.9. The bonus points scoring will then be added based on that score. If you have questions or concerns about this, let me know.

(Separately musing about scoring, I do feel like I gave out some higher scores at the top last time than I anticipated, in part due to either the technical cat subs not being graded on catfit much outside a yes/no or because I wanted to very visibly reward an incredible catfit otherwise. I wonder if we'll see things be a bit more competitive this time, between a natural adjustment towards less extremely top-heavy scores, as well as having this many cats. Not to mention that I adjusted my bonus points to make them less top-heavy. Of course, on the other hand, I am optimistic about the quality of music you all have worked so hard to send. Anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this works out!)

Here are the scoring rules from the OP for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#1)
    Scoring & Winning:
    The player with the highest average at the end of the walrus will be declared the winner, regardless of whether that player submitted to 7, 14, or any amount of categories in between.

As for individual submission scoring, songs will be scored using a 10-point scale with 0.01 decimals, and points will be awarded based on a combination of enjoyment and category fit. I would estimate a healthy balance of the two, but an egregious catfail could tank your score considerably more, so I heavily advise avoiding catfails.

In addition, bonuses will be awarded to any songs that: (1) finish within the podium of a category; (2) score an 8/10 or higher; and/or (3) I am unfamiliar with, as follows.

• +1.5 bonus points will be awarded for a category winner, +1.0 for 2nd, and +0.5 for 3rd.
    • +1.0 bonus points will be awarded for a 10/10, descending by 0.25 for each point range lower (i.e., 9.X/10 will receive +0.75, and 8.X/10 will receive +0.5).
    • +0.5 will be awarded for lack of familiarity (I haven’t heard or don’t remember hearing) with any song submitted.

Lastly, EASY / HARD bonuses and Combo bonuses will be awarded or deducted in Category 11-14 scoring only. (See those category descriptions for detail.)

The theoretical maximum number of points thus available for any category that is not Categories 11-14 is 13 points. For categories 11-13, the maximum is 14 points. For category 14, the maximum is 15 points. This is technically subject to change, but the general structure should not.

I would advise strategic participants to consider these scoring parameters when submitting.

If you have any questions about any of this (or anything else), please do not hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by Tangrowth; February 10th, 2021 at 11:15 AM.

10. ISO #60
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Just to clarify, anyone who is not a participant that would still like to sit in on any of the reveals is absolutely welcome (and encouraged) to do so!

11. ISO #61
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Timezone
    Moose did make it in time his fans will be glad to know i'm sure
    :wiwe

12. ISO #62
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQuas (#61)
    Moose did make it in time his fans will be glad to know i'm sure
    I know I am!

13. ISO #63
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#59)
    Happy Monday, walrus participants! Two things I want to say.

First, the live reveal for our first category, Wholesome 2.0, will indeed take place at Saturday, February 13th starting 12:00PM PT / 3:00PM ET / 7:00PM GMT. I have already managed to make enough progress and schedule further listening to ensure this will happen. I really hope to see many of you there!

Second, regarding my scoring this walrus, I have been refining my approach and transparency after the results of my first walrus as well as my use of increasingly nuanced categories (as evidenced by my category write-up descriptions of most or all of the cats this time vs. last time.

For purposes of providing clearer feedback, my Base Score calculation comprises the average of two scores, one for enjoyment and one for catfit. This will be hopefully less of a black box for you all this time, even though this largely aligns with the loose spread I was grading feels-based cats (Funereal, Wholesome, Anxious, and Introspective) on last time. For example, you may be assessed an enjoyment score of 8.2 and a catfit score of 7.6, and your Base Score then becomes 7.9. The bonus points scoring will then be added based on that score. If you have questions or concerns about this, let me know.

(Separately musing about scoring, I do feel like I gave out some higher scores at the top last time than I anticipated, in part due to either the technical cat subs not being graded on catfit much outside a yes/no or because I wanted to very visibly reward an incredible catfit otherwise. I wonder if we'll see things be a bit more competitive this time, between a natural adjustment towards less extremely top-heavy scores, as well as having this many cats. Not to mention that I adjusted my bonus points to make them less top-heavy. Of course, on the other hand, I am optimistic about the quality of music you all have worked so hard to send. Anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this works out!)

Here are the scoring rules from the OP for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by M Plus 7 (#1)
    Scoring & Winning:
    The player with the highest average at the end of the walrus will be declared the winner, regardless of whether that player submitted to 7, 14, or any amount of categories in between.

As for individual submission scoring, songs will be scored using a 10-point scale with 0.01 decimals, and points will be awarded based on a combination of enjoyment and category fit. I would estimate a healthy balance of the two, but an egregious catfail could tank your score considerably more, so I heavily advise avoiding catfails.

In addition, bonuses will be awarded to any songs that: (1) finish within the podium of a category; (2) score an 8/10 or higher; and/or (3) I am unfamiliar with, as follows.

• +1.5 bonus points will be awarded for a category winner, +1.0 for 2nd, and +0.5 for 3rd.
    • +1.0 bonus points will be awarded for a 10/10, descending by 0.25 for each point range lower (i.e., 9.X/10 will receive +0.75, and 8.X/10 will receive +0.5).
    • +0.5 will be awarded for lack of familiarity (I haven’t heard or don’t remember hearing) with any song submitted.

Lastly, EASY / HARD bonuses and Combo bonuses will be awarded or deducted in Category 11-14 scoring only. (See those category descriptions for detail.)

The theoretical maximum number of points thus available for any category that is not Categories 11-14 is 13 points. For categories 11-13, the maximum is 14 points. For category 14, the maximum is 15 points. This is technically subject to change, but the general structure should not.

I would advise strategic participants to consider these scoring parameters when submitting.

If you have any questions about any of this (or anything else), please do not hesitate to ask!
    Time zones! I didn’t realize GMT is 8 hours ahead right now, so please note that it will be 8PM not 7 GMT.

14. ISO #64
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    It is truly incredible the songs I got for this cat, I'm ridiculously hyped for this. Thank you all again for submitting.

15. ISO #65
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Category 1: Wholesome 2.0wholesome, playful, wonder, confused, innocent, quirky

Hey, let's try this again! I feel like last time I wasn't clear enough with what I was aiming for. It's something I want to rectify, because I crave wholesome music still.

I want something that makes me think through the eyes of a child, which includes a range of: quirky and playful, wonder and confusion, and most notably innocence. There's a sense of exploration and awe juxtaposed with a lack of knowledge and self-awareness that we tend to lose over time, and I really want to be reminded of it.
    Last edited by Tangrowth; February 13th, 2021 at 03:58 PM.

16. ISO #66
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: KarmaDope

Uhh... hmmm. What? Headtilt. This wins the I-Really-Don't-Understand-This-Catfit-Most-of-All award for this cat. I think I've heard enough Rammstein for one lifetime.

Placement: 27th
    Final Score: 1.45

Unfamiliarity Bonus: NO (+0)
    Base Score: 1.45 [Enjoyment: 2.9; Catfit: 0]

17. ISO #67
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Owner Of A Lonely Heart

Just because the lyrics talk about Peter Pan doesn't make the song wholesome, and the manner in which Peter Pan is being used as an allegory here is incompatible with everything I stated in the description for this cat. For me anyway, the voice, instrumentation, and lyrics aren't anything notable, and the style is very much not MP7 so I find it difficult to appreciate.

Placement: 26th
    Final Score: 1.70

Unfamiliarity Bonus: YES (+0.5)
    Base Score: 1.2 [Enjoyment: 2.4; Catfit: 0]

18. ISO #68
    Low Hanging Fruit

Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    Community
    2+2
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

I interpreted most cats like I did this one. To me the music sounds playful (until the breakdown at least).

I genuinely would be interested to know any metal songs you think would fit this category BTW :-)

19. ISO #69
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Aladdyn

How can anything even remotely sexually suggestive, let alone how much this song is, have been sent for this cat? I personally don't get it, I'm just confused. Perhaps you could have found something fitting in the genre, but this definitely wasn't it from my perspective. The song itself is okay, feels generic to me personally, but it's listenable for sure.

Placement: 25th
    Final Score: 2.80

Base Score: 2.3 [Enjoyment: 4.6; Catfit: 0]

20. ISO #70
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaDope (#68)
    I may as well withdraw now :-(

I interpreted most cats like I did this one. To me the music sounds playful (until the breakdown at least).

I genuinely would be interested to know any metal songs you think would fit this category BTW :-)
    Awwww, it's okay! I appreciate all subs. Pasting this sentiment from the live reveal:

Standard disclaimer though... inevitably as I'm the host, these evaluations are my opinion, and so please don't take it to heart if I didn't personally enjoy your submission or had trouble with the catfit. I assure you I appreciated them all.
    As for your question regarding metal, that's such a good question, I'll think about it!
    Last edited by Tangrowth; February 13th, 2021 at 04:39 PM.

21. ISO #71
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Jerma Heaven Custom Remix - Year of the Rats
    Submitted by: Moose

I cannot believe this actually gets catfit points, but it does. It's just too quirky and confused not to, even if it really doesn't fit the spirit of the cat as I intended it. Congrats, Moose.

Placement: 24th
    Final Score: 3.85

Base Score: 3.35 [Enjoyment: 3.1; Catfit: 3.6]

22. ISO #72
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: hollowkatt

Some of the instrumentation could be considered quirky if I squint at it, so that's something... but the longer the song goes on, I find myself increasingly questioning the catfit pretty intensely. If I considered something like this to be more of a catfit, then I'd have to for plenty of other pop songs with quirky melodic lines like Walk of Life, and that just... doesn't mesh with what I wanted. The lyrics are also questionable, but not overtly. The song itself is surely alright, definitely fun, but it is not particularly memorable or catchy or anything for me.

Placement: 23rd
    Final Score: 4.25

Base Score: 3.75 [Enjoyment: 5.6; Catfit: 1.9]

23. ISO #73
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: schadd

What a shame this was sent to this cat... sigh. The song is really good, that's for sure. Sufficiently chill and compellingly atmospheric for my taste. The vocal snippets throughout are decidedly not wholesome. Otherwise I really tried to squint and see the catfit, and I got nothing.

Placement: 22nd
    Final Score: 4.50

Base Score: 4 [Enjoyment: 8; Catfit: 0]

24. ISO #74
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: LordQuas

The song itself is pretty good, but it's lacking some serious punch. I am making the ponder face at the catfit. There's… something here, but how confused, in awe, in wonder, etc. is it really?

Placement: 21st
    Final Score: 5.05

Base Score: 4.55 [Enjoyment: 6.8; Catfit: 2.3]

25. ISO #75
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Visorslash

Relaxing. This is fairly reflective, yet active, which is a cool balance. But how childlike it is, that's an open question. I do sense some emotive awe and wonder for sure, but it's probably more like how I might feel, as an adult woman, on vacation or something. Hmmm.

Placement: 20th
    Final Score: 6.00

Base Score: 6 [Enjoyment: 7.5; Catfit: 4.5]

26. ISO #76
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Marcher Jovian

Thoroughly enjoyable, but the catfit is a bit difficult to nail down. There are enough playful explorative flourishes at least that I can get a sense of it. I can at least imagine someone being in awe with this as the backdrop.

Placement: 19th
    Final Score: 6.90

Base Score: 6.4 [Enjoyment: 7.7; Catfit: 5.1]

27. ISO #77
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Rara

I really like this. Aquatic vibes in spades. The catfit is lacking, it's too clinical, but for a minimalistic bleepy bloopy piece it is nonetheless compelling enough in various regards to my descriptors (quirky, playful, in awe).

Placement: 18th
    Final Score: 7.60

Base Score: 7.1 [Enjoyment: 8.4; Catfit: 5.8]

28. ISO #78
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Guillotina

Hey, what a pleasant loop. Strong world map or overworld vibes, even though I think it's a character theme. This screams sense of adventure, but I'm not sure how childlike it is, and it still is missing some components I wanted (such as wonder or awe with a lack of self-awareness). On the other hand, the theory is easily understood. It's a bit of a tough call.

Placement: 17th
    Final Score: 7.65

Base Score: 7.15 [Enjoyment: 7.9; Catfit: 6.4]

29. ISO #79
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Schiavetto

Hahaha, this is great. The instrumentation on its own would be sort of compelling, maybe, but that sample... I can't even. Outside the context of the album, it feels incomplete, but it's still quite amusing and fun.

Placement: 16th
    Final Score: 7.70

Base Score: 7.7 [Enjoyment: 6.4; Catfit: 9]```

30. ISO #80
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: nijuukyugou (Blooper)

Well, to me the idealistic catfit of what this song is going for is crystal clear. With that said... it would do even better if the overall product were not so polished and if the voices were actually children. There's a sense that this is adults acting like children or something. But anyway, this definitely gets the idea. It's not really in the normal sphere of my musical consumption, but nonetheless this turned out to be pretty fun. There were moments I found myself humming this or having it stuck in my head, that's for sure.

Placement: 15th
    Final Score: 7.95

Base Score: 7.45 [Enjoyment: 6.5; Catfit: 8.4]

31. ISO #81
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Boomslang

Well... $%#!. Ow. This wins the Hardest-Sub-to-Score award, and thus lots of words. The caftfit is such a wrestle, because the narrator's thoughts are ones that I don't think children can understand or are even remotely concerned with, but then again even as a child, gender dysphoria affected my life. But this song really deals more with love itself, which again feels like a strictly adult topic. So this is a quandry for me, especially because this song so effectively expresses that whirlpool of frustration and confusion. I'm not sure it's really what I envisioned for this cat at all, but at the same time, it's like... I try to fit the square peg into the round hole, it doesn't work, so I'm like hmmm. Then I listen to the song again, forget it's a square peg, and try it again, only to fail again. Do I give it catfit points for being a square peg, or for being so good at making me think it's round? I honestly still don't know. It gets a 9 in enjoyment for making me cry more than once.

Placement: 14th
    Final Score: 8.00

Base Score: 7.5 [Enjoyment: 9; Catfit: 6]

32. ISO #82
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Roman

A hypnotic, dizzying confusion. The elements for the catfit are all here, but they're arranged haphazardly. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It took me forever to figure out how to explain this, but it's sort of like a recipe that went slightly awry. The result doesn't look like what I expected, and it's a bit off... it's still really tasty though.

Placement: 13th
    Final Score: 9.05

Favorite Bonus: Score of 8 (+0.5)
    Base Score: 8.05 [Enjoyment: 8.4; Catfit: 7.7]

33. ISO #83
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Newcomb

Loungey, but sort of surreal. This has a child looks at ordinary adult things sort of feel to it, perpetuated by a muzakiness but definitely in a good way. With that said, I can't help but get the feeling this is like an adult explaining to a child how adult things are, and the child is just sitting there confused. It's passive, but somehow it works. The keyboard tone in particular exudes a quirkiness that bolsters the mood for catfit purposes.

Placement: 11th (2-way tie!)
    Final Score: 9.20

Base Score: 8.2 [Enjoyment: 8.3; Catfit: 8.1]

34. ISO #84
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Zack

What a banger, wow. This wins the Grew-on-Me-the-Most-throughout-Subsequent-Listens award for this cat handily. It is undeniably wholesome and confusing for an adult to be singing a love song to his steak, but this is still sort of a hard buy for an actual childlike thought, so there's only so far it could go for catfit despite the amazingly surreal quirky approach that is so lovable. Also... oooooh, MR. STEAK! YOU WERE GRADE A! might just be my favorite line I've ever heard.

Placement: 11th (2-way tie!)
    Final Score: 9.20

Base Score: 8.2 [Enjoyment: 9.5; Catfit: 6.9]

35. ISO #85
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Non Non Biyori OST - Ren-chon and a Sunny Road
    Submitted by: BLOODYRAIN10001

Wholesomely reflective to a T. There is a definite gravity to this I wasn't expecting in this cat, driven by the piano, but the juxtaposition with that incredible flute recorder creates this awesomely compelling mood. A sad child.

Placement: 10th
    Final Score: 9.60

Base Score: 8.6 [Enjoyment: 7.8; Catfit: 9.4]
    Last edited by Tangrowth; February 13th, 2021 at 05:15 PM.

36. ISO #86
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: nutella

Sheer fun distilled into a song. Twinklestar is the perfect name for this composition. The sparkle sound effect throughout is such a nice touch. There is a sense of wonder here that is expressed uniquely considering the style.

Placement: 9th
    Final Score: 9.65

Base Score: 8.65 [Enjoyment: 8.7; Catfit: 8.6]

37. ISO #87
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Adam

While I am quite familiar with the source material, I had somehow not heard this interpretation yet, and... wow. It's hard to know what to say. The catfit is solid, a nice song to approach a serious adventurous tone with whimsical eyes.

Placement: 8th
    Final Score: 9.70

Base Score: 8.7 [Enjoyment: 8.9; Catfit: 8.5]

38. ISO #88
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Kruger Brothers & Kontras Quartet - Sacred Ground
    Submitted by: Cuthalion

Almost stunningly beautiful. At first, it was a bit difficult for me to gain a sense of wholesomeness, until I started thinking of a different era, and then the picture became much more vivid... and it kept growing. An adventurous kid looking around with green pastures as far as the eye can see. The juxtaposition of playful lines with a sense of impact helps to create a sense of urgency, yet a distinctly childlike one.

Placement: 7th
    Final Score: 9.75

Base Score: 8.75 [Enjoyment: 8.8; Catfit: 8.7]

39. ISO #89
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: roro__b (Dobby)

Pure joy, my gosh. Soul cleansing. Walking around the park and truly admiring the scenery. I am pretty sure this is close to expressing how I will feel doing that post-COVID with no encumbrances. Try not smiling while listening to this. I certainly can't.

Placement: 6th
    Final Score: 10.40

Favorite Bonus: Score of 9 (+0.75)
    Base Score: 9.15 [Enjoyment: 9.1; Catfit: 9.2]

40. ISO #90
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: ploonet

Captivating. This is the equivalent of a child being awakened by rain and then rushing to look out the window and just watching the rain fall in quiet awe. Instantly takes me back to moments like that in my childhood.

Placement: 5th
    Final Score: 10.55

Base Score: 9.3 [Enjoyment: 8.9; Catfit: 9.7]

41. ISO #91
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Keldeo

That's a big fuzzy pipecleaner!! Confused kid arts and crafts ASMR. What a weirdly compelling composition, this is certainly up my alley. I'm personally in awe over the sound design.

Placement: 4th
    Final Score: 10.70

Base Score: 9.45 [Enjoyment: 9.5; Catfit: 9.4]

42. ISO #92
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Shad

Fantastic groove for a quirky wholesome song. I am seriously impressed that it works so well. The main melodic line keeps that sense of whimsical wonder and confusion all throughout. This is so $%#!ing cool, just an incredible song.

Placement: 3rd
    Final Score: 11.30

Podium Bonus: 3rd place (+0.5)
    Base Score: 9.55 [Enjoyment: 9.6; Catfit: 9.5]

43. ISO #93
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: Mars the Planet

Ahhh, this absolutely mixes innocent, quirky, and confused into a wholesome cocktail so masterfully. For me it vividly conjures up visions of the first day of school. The way this track feels innocent yet warped is simply fantastic. Even though I had heard this a couple times before this walrus, needless to say I'll be hearing it much more going forward.

Placement: 2nd
    Final Score: 11.45

Podium Bonus: 2nd place (+1)
    Base Score: 9.7 [Enjoyment: 9.6; Catfit: 9.8]

44. ISO #94
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Submitted by: MyNameIsNothing

MP7Tangycore achieved. I feel like words would not do this submission justice, especially since I am not AI. As someone who immensely appreciates music that paints a picture, this is something else. When I hear this, I am a child seeing all of these things.

Placement: 1st
    Final Score: 12.65

Podium Bonus: 1st place!! (+1.5)
    Base Score: 9.9 [Enjoyment: 10; Catfit: 9.8]
    Last edited by Tangrowth; February 23rd, 2021 at 12:04 AM.

45. ISO #95
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Scores after Cat 1

46. ISO #96
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    IMPORTANT: Submission Grace Period / Extension (deadline: February 20)

I got a few people asking about subbing or changing subs, and I wasn't planning on allowing this originally (especially given I did extend a couple times already, but to be fair I did ask for... a lot of consideration in this setup). Also not sure if Amy was the only one who misread the prompt (hehe, again to be fair I write a lot), but you can send anywhere between 7 and 14 songs.

Anyway, I'm going to open the submission window one last time. The deadline to submit or change subs will be no later than end of day on Saturday, February 20th.

After that I will not accept any changes or anything for sake of fairness and so I don't lose track of sub changes.

This way... it gives one super duper final absolutely real last chance to anyone who missed the submission period. Also, especially for any of you who didn't really know my taste or how I may score exactly, you now have one sub's results to sample from and re-examine any of your subs if you'd like.

Incidentally, this means the reveal for Category 2 (Calm) will be delayed a week to Saturday, February 27th, and usually I wouldn't do that within an Act conceptually to keep us on a healthy pace to finish. But this probably is good for me anyway given my intense workload over the coming week (and a bonus is that I remembered next Saturday is the Pokemon GO Kanto event, so now I can obsess over that even more).

(Bonus edit note: I have edited the top of the OP with a thread summary and current scores as well, and those will be updated systematically.)

Last edited by Tangrowth; February 13th, 2021 at 07:05 PM.

47. ISO #97
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Hey all, just a quick note that I appreciate the sub changes and additions I received!

I am rather busy with work this week, so we'll see if we can make this Saturday for Calm still. I'd like to! I will keep you updated.

48. ISO #98
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

I am now able to confirm that the reveal for Category 2 (Calm) will take place (in just about 48 hours!) on Saturday, February 27th starting 12:00PM PT / 3:00PM ET / 8:00PM GMT.

I hope you come prepared to relax and transcend all of existence with me.

49. ISO #99
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangrowth (#98)
    Hello, everyone!

I am now able to confirm that the reveal for Category 2 (Calm) will take place (in just about 48 hours!) on Saturday, February 27th starting 12:00PM PT / 3:00PM ET / 8:00PM GMT.

I hope you come prepared to relax and transcend all of existence with me.

Ughhhh, I cannot host this reveal time after all. Something has come up. I'm so sorry, everyone. We'll have to do Calm next Saturday (March 6th). Same time. I'll ping you all again a few days ahead of time or something.

50. ISO #100
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Okay, take two. Walrus reveal definitely happening this week! Finally getting caught up again on work. Yay!

The reveal for Category 2 (Calm) will take place on Saturday, March 6th starting 12:00PM PT / 3:00PM ET / 8:00PM GMT.

I hope you come prepared to relax and transcend all of existence with me for real this time!

As an aside, I plan to skip the week break in between Cats 2 & 3 given the couple weeks off, so assuming I can get a good groove with work and walrus going again (and signs are promising), we should have this week and then two more weeks in a row (for Cats 3 & 4).