wow signups for 3 different walruses are going on at the same time! wow lend, are you mad?
yes, probably but welcome to The VGMrus!©
this is a walrus exclusively dedicated to the video game music lovers here on MU (and also maybe normal people who want to submit VGM, i'm not the police). any music you submit must be from a video game (NO REMIXES except in category 9). i'm looking!
here's my banlist (which consists of games, NOT artists)
Undertale/Deltarune, Danganronpa series, Ace Attorney series, Dicey Dungeons, VVVVVV, Super Hexagon, PAYDAY 2, Rhythm Heaven series, The Legend Of Zelda series, Miitopia, Pokemon
some rules (copied and pasted shamelessly from knightsofcydonia because i'm lazy, thanks knights)
1. Any categories you select and then fail to submit for will automatically be scored 0. You can send submissions at any point up to the day before the respective category’s scheduled reveal. In some cases, depending on my schedule, I may be lenient enough to accept submissions up to the T-minus 12 hours mark. I will actively check in with players who have unfilled submissions to help prevent catfails.
2. Any submissions which don't fit the qualifying requirements of their respective category will automatically be scored 0. For example, if you subbed an EDM song to the acoustic instruments category, you would catfail. I will do my best to inform participants of catfails before reveals, however you have no guarantees.
3. You will need to change your submission if I can't bring myself to listen to it in its entirety even once. I generally don't like songs where the music is relegated to being a background track, the lyrics are wholly unoriginal and the singing is atrocious. I will do my best to inform you whenever such a song pops up, but no guarantees.
4. If you send me a 240p or 144p vid and a better version is available, I reserve the right to switch to the better version. I may inform you privately if I do so, but I’m likely to forget.
5. If two or more players submit the same song for a category, the second (and third and so on) person to submit the song will be given the option to change their submission. If they decide to stick with it, it will be given a single score and the players involved will tie in that round's rankings. This type of tie will be expressed in dense ranking (eg. 1223) rather than standard competition ranking (eg. 1224).
6. You can change your submissions at your leisure. As with late submissions, song changes will be accepted at any point up to the day before the respective category’s reveal. Unlike Rule 1, I will not accept T-12 hour sub swaps because getting in a song that may do better or worse isn’t as urgent as avoiding a 0.
so here are the cats! enjoy i guess
i'll be allowing a maximum of one optional category skip. if you're having trouble with more than one cat and desperately need more catskips, PM me and i'll consider it. with that out of the way, let's get into the cats!
1. Intro Music
Send me a song that is an intro to a game. Pretty self-explanatory.
Toby Fox - Once Upon A Time
Masafumi Takada - Trigger Happy Havoc
Send me a song that makes you feel like you're in a dangerous situation and there's no way out. I like more EDMy stuff for this kind of music but anything is fair game.
Simon Viklund - Calling All Units
Masafumi Takada - To Survive (the playlist I found for the danganronpa songs uses the japanese names, apologies if that's a little confusing)
Send me a song that's calm or has a happy tone. Not much to describe here, so yeah.
Masafumi Takada - Beautiful Lie
Masakazu Sugimori - The First Victory!
4. Acoustic Instruments
Send me a song that entirely uses acoustic instruments. No elctric guitars, chiptune, etc.
Toby Fox - Undertale (not actually entirely sure if this is acoustic so if someone can correct that, it'd be perfect
Send me a song that consists of chiptune or one where chiptune is an integral part of the song.
Chipzel - Swing Me Another 6
6. Boss Fight
Send me a song that plays during a boss fight. No set instrument/mood requirement - it just has to play during a boss fight scene somewhere in the game.
Chipzel - Elimination Round
7. "We lose!"
Send me a song that plays when you lose or die in a video game. Sad mood necessary.
Simon Viklund - Hard Time
Send me a song where vocals are a core part (or it can consist entirely of vocals, I don't give a $%#!). Submitting any song with vocals to a different category isn't banned per se, but I will scrutinize whether the lyrics really belong there more than in this category.
Simon Viklund - Break The Rules (skip until 3:58 for the vocals)
This is the exception to the "everything must come from a video game" rule... Send me a remix of a video game song that you like. No instrument requirements, no specific mood: it just has to be a remix that's faithful to the original while still adding its own things in and managing to sound good. Acapella and rearrangements are allowed. Please note that the banlist also extends to this category, so no remixes of a game that's in the banlist.
Also, FamilyJules and Smooth McGroove are banned
i'll be scoring songs from 1 to 10, factoring in originality and how much I like the song in general. i'll also be slightly factoring in just how good of a catfit it is, although it won't affect the final score much unless it's a catfail. the examples should give a decent indication of what I like, but feel free to send me anything as long as it's not a total catfail.
to submit, send me a PM with a song for each category (if you're skipping a category, mark it as such in your PM). spotify/youtube/soundcloud links are accepted, although if you want to send your submission using a different link, I won't immediately give you a 0. please also include the name of the game that the song came from and the artist (if possible).
deadline is on the 22nd of March, 2021 at 8am EST. you may still change your submissions after the deadline, but if a category is going to be revealed in 24 hours or less and your submission is not automatically getting a 0, you may not change your submission for that category. reveal dates are TBD. enjoy!
8. Adam (also technically jumpluff)
15. Ephemera (yet to sub)