Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: walnut

1. ISO #51
    Community
    Scumdogia

I guess I've got a new challenge this fall.

2. ISO #52
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOODYRAIN10001 (#48)
    amazing
    breaking top 20 might be top half
    40 participants hype?!

3. ISO #53
    is this a good time to ask if alt subs are allowed

4. ISO #54
    Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    Community
    PokéHeroes
    AKA
    zoomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick (#719)
    ISO him. He looks good to me. I don't want to see him lynched. Yeah, he had a troll post here and there, but he's playing pretty townie. I don't expect a 14 year old to troll like that as scum anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyachei (#734)
    gbs is not out of either range. the $%#!posting is basically how he lives his life.

5. ISO #55
    Connoisseur of Spice nutella's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    And we're closed, with this roster just shy of 40

So reveals are gonna be quite long, prob with some skipping in the low scorers. I'm tentatively looking at weekday afternoons/evenings, say Wednesdays at 4pm Pacific / 7pm eastern. Lmk if that works/doesn't work/any strong preferences.
    Last edited by nutella; April 9th, 2021 at 02:07 AM.
    avatar art credit to chardonnay/bland

6. ISO #56
    Community
    NSM, FFR,Smogon, ZeldaDungeon, The Syndicate, 2+2, DailyMafia, elsewhere
    AKA
    bullheaded jackass
    If you want to sound smart you can use the word frisson instead of eargasm

7. ISO #57
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    And we're closed, with this roster just shy of 40

So reveals are gonna be quite long, prob with some skipping in the low scorers. I'm tentatively looking at weekday afternoons/evenings, say Wednesdays at 4pm Pacific / 7pm eastern. Lmk if that works/doesn't work/any strong preferences.
    Hype!!

I probably won't be able to make reveals during the week until the semester is over, but I hope they're fun! I'll follow the thread results after the fact.

8. ISO #58
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I've made enough progress in Cat 1 that I think I'll be able to do this coming Wednesday actually, get hype

9. ISO #59
    Hype... don't bring me down from this feeling...

10. ISO #60
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I've made enough progress in Cat 1 that I think I'll be able to do this coming Wednesday actually, get hype
    Wow, I'm so impressed at that turnaround!

11. ISO #61

12. ISO #62
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

13. ISO #63
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Cat 1 already?

You're even crazier than I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    I thought you were a nerd last week but then I saw you say you play golf and remember you said you chewed so you're some kind of unicorn or something

14. ISO #64
    Timezone
    UTC+08:00
    Community
    I'M A MINOR
    AKA
    Strategist Nagisa
    Pronouns
    sin/ace
    Might be able to join in while in class :0
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    @ignoramus you fool

15. ISO #65
    iirc i went really out there on category one so i can see this finishing anywhere from dead last to podium

16. ISO #66
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

An amuse-bouche serves to excite the palate. I want you to excite my ears with some trippy soundscapes. Give me your beeps, your boops, your fuzzy textures yearning to glitch free. My ears want to be fully engrossed in compelling noises, beats, shapes, patterns, textures, abstract sculptures of sound. A surprising range of [sub]genres can hit this sweet spot, but most on-the-nose examples are some flavor of electronica.

Tasting notes: crisp, percussive, glitchy, crackly, trippy, textured, clicks, bubbly, crunchy, asmr

Pairings: prosecco or other sparkling beverages, tart berries, sharp cheeses, salty crackers, poprocks

39th
    The Bel-Air-Izer vs Deadmau5 - Animal Rights

Look mom I found a moose in the wild.

4.5 + .5 = 5.0
    Moose

38th
    dltzk - 52 blue mondays

ah. this is not quite for me. the vocals kinda turn me off and while I can enjoy some of the breakbeat stuff it's not really something I'd come back to. I like the last 20 seconds most lol

5.1 + 0.5 = 5.6
    LordQuas

37th
    Vince Staples - Crabs In A Bucket

eh, this doesn't stand out to me at all, the backing effects are just repetitive and neither main vocal section does much for me. kinda just forgettable :/

5.3 + 0.5 = 5.8
    Schiavetto

36th
    Hinkik & A Himitsu - Realms

This is a little generic and doesn't do super innovative sound things imo, not super unpleasant but doesn't do much for me.

5.8 + .5 = 6.3
    Ace Marvel

35th
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - The Donkey-Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion

That album cover?? That artist name and track name?? What. What am I getting myself into here......okay these vocals aren't quite my style but I don't hate this, it's chaotic and I'm not sure I understand it. Not great as far as catfit tbh, it's certainly *engaging* though. I actually love the instrumental section at 3 minutes in, and some of the parts that develop afterward.

5.9 + .5 = 6.4
    soah

34th
    CLOCK DVA - The Hacker (****MAJOR FLASHING WARNING FOR VIDEO LINK****)

....happy halloween?? this has a very spooky vibe. It's got a nice beat but as far as the cat goes it's kinda too fuzzy/not *crisp* -- it could be almost more of a Soup fit but generally doesn't do a ton for me.

6.0 + .5 = 6.5
    hollowkatt

33rd
    Grouplove - Deadline

Catchy and entertaining, but not a great catfit and ultimately rather generic -- not in a bad way, this is the kind of song I would save and jam to from time to time but it just doesn't particularly stand out.

6.1 + .5 = 6.6
    shubaka17

32nd
    Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians

I shouldn't be surprised to see IM in this cat should I huh. These farty effects are...not my favorite, sorry. Some parts of this track are more tolerable though and it does fit the cat.

6.2 + .5 = 6.7
    Macdougall

31st
    Watsky - Fireworks

Hi Knights. Fireworks noises I guess fit the bill lol, unfortunately I can't bring myself to enjoy Watsky much. Still fairly fun track oh god why is this child talking at the end

6.3 + .5 = 6.8
    KnightsofCydonia

30th
    Diablo Swing Orchestra - Mass Rapture

I've liked what I've heard from DSO but don't think this is one I've heard so you get the bonus. It is chaotically entertaining as expected but not really a vibe I'm looking for in this cat specifically or that I seek out often in general.

6.8 + .5 = 7.3
    KarmaDope

29th
    GUNSHIP - CTHULHU (feat. Corin Hardy)

Huh this is a bit much imo. It's certainly *a* vibe. It's definitely cool in parts but don't think this was the category for it.

7.1 + .5 = 7.6
    Logic

28th
    Shane Rogers - A Tale of Six Trillion Years and a Night

Sounds like vgm or something adjacent? It's a pretty hype tune but the timbres don't excite me.

7.2 + .5 = 7.7
    ignoramus

27th
    Vagabond - Greenskeepers

Whoa this slaps though. I can't help but tap my feet and bop my head like the vibecat. Unfortunately doesn't hold up a ton on subsequent listens and while the bass is nice it falls sorta flat on category fit.

7.3 + .5 = 7.8
    Owner Of A Lonely Heart

that's the bottom third, sorry am behind a bit in posting here. more to come!
    Last edited by nutella; April 14th, 2021 at 09:38 PM.

17. ISO #67
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    26th ** rescored, moved to tie with 15th **
    Lydmor - If You Want Capacity

Had to find a different link for this, should be right I hope. The synths and beat are rather nice and her voice meshes well; the effect in the last minute is cool too. Ultimately it's good but not as ~innovative~ as some other subs wrt the category. Idk might be robbing.

7.4 + .5 = 7.9
    Viggorous

25th
    Wave Racer - Flash Drive (feat. B▲by)

.....huh. Video says v a p o r w a v e but music says...idk futurebass or whatever this is. Enjoyable in a zoomer-kitschy way.

7.5 + .5 = 8.0
    Newcomb

24th
    Moses Sumney - Cut Me

Huh. I can't say this is what I was expecting for this cat but it's pretty nice. Got some really cool panning and various background things that hold my interest, behind an already pleasant main melody. I really dig the brass especially. Oddly this would fit both cats 3 and 6 more than this one I think? But really really cool stuff, I'm intrigued by this artist.

7.6 + .5 = 8.1
    Shad

23rd
    Iglooghost - Super Ink Burst

Ok this is really fun and there's a lot going on. Ultimately maybe too much? There are parts I like, the ...clarinet? sax? is lovely, but generally don't know how to feel about the degree of maximalism. I'm like... p sure I'm robbing this, I can't settle on where it should land.

7.7 + .5 = 8.2
    Made

22nd
    Three Trapped Tigers - Engrams

Hi Amy. This is pretty cool tbh. It's a little loose on the catfit if I'm being honest but it's definitely something I enjoy.

7.8 + .5 = 8.3
    Ampharos

21st
    Mid-Air Thief - "왜? (Why?)"

This track definitely does some cool stuff with sound but somehow doesn't really captivate me a ton? I think it's the more calm vibe of the vocals, though the second half gets more active and has me bouncing a bit. Mrrrr I'm robbing this arent I

7.9 + .5 = 8.4
    Godot

20th
    Ravyn Lenae - Venezuela Trains

Groovin beat and a silky voice. The production on this is fantastic, the layering in the last minute would also make it great for cat 3 but the beats are def what I'm looking for here so nice pick.

8.0 + .5 = 8.5
    Adam

19th
    Brother Android - The Stars Come Out

...think this is Ranmilia? I'm pretty sure I remember listening to this after you linked something from the album. Gonna be pedantic and leave off the bonus. But it's great. Super chill, like listening to the tide at night, and I love the little tremolos. Just... this is really calming.

8.6 + 0 = 8.6
    Ranmilia

Tied for 17th
    Mid-Air Thief - "쇠사슬 (Ahhhh, These Chains!)"

Heh, two subs from this artist and oddly enough on my randomized list they were the very first and very last songs I listened to on my first runthrough. I like this one more than the other for the cat. There are some pretty nice sounds in this but also some I find irritating. I don't love the vocals or the distorted-y stuff in the beginning, but the strings and plinks are nice and it gets better as it goes. I LOVE the part at 3:17 hhh okay this was a journey and I like it more on further listening.

8.3 + .5 = 8.8
    Esooa

Tied for 17th
    Burial - Archangel

Mmmmm yes. This is a good pick. I'm certain I've heard this before, just familiar enough to miss the bonus sorry. The vocal effects are a bit of an acquired taste for me but maybe one I've actually acquired? at least in this context with the fantastic percussion and stuff going on.

8.8 + 0 = 8.8
    staypositivefriend

16th
    hitori tori - we need blips

Oh you know it we sure $%#!in do. In the end this doesn't grip me, it feels like it kinda just exists to exist and doesn't really have much intentionality or feeling to it? Like stuff is just happening for no reason and it ends up sounding....samey as it goes on, oddly enough.

8.4 + .5 = 8.9
    BLOODYRAIN10001

15th
    [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4bbcnrekOo]Ultraísta - Tin King[/url[

Hmm. I don't super love the vocal singing the same note for a while, but this piece does certainly build into a nice creation. The production and fullness/lushness of the sound as it builds is pretty entrancing. Def got bumped up after a couple listens.

8.5 + .5 = 9.0
    Sloonei

ADDENDUM Tie for 15th (Rescore)

**RESCORE with full version:** Alright the extra couple minutes actually bop, there's nice beats that do make it a stronger catfit. I love the little drop at 3:56 and as a whole composition it's definitely engaging. Bumping up to:

8.5 + .5 = 9.0
    Viggorous

14th
    Astrophysics - How to dance your pain away

Aaaaaaaaaa gotta go fassst this makes me want to bounce around like a hyperactive child

8.6 + .5 = 9.1
    Marcher Jovian
    Last edited by nutella; April 15th, 2021 at 11:56 PM.

18. ISO #68
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Ox

Sadly think this one just barely misses qualifying as unfamiliar, though I def forgot this record existed lol. Absolutely need to go back to it bc it's more my thing nowadays. Awesome fit. Also I don't even need to say who I think subbed this lol

9.2 + 0 = 9.2
    Zack

Tied for 11th
    SOPHIE - BIPP

I was only vaguely aware of SOPHIE's music before I heard of her passing, RIP. Definitely good stuff, though not quite the sort of thing I typically seek out. This, as the kids say, slaps.

8.8 + .5 = 9.3
    Sunbae

Tied for 11th
    Lindsay Lowend - GT40

Alright this is a bop lol. There's a bunch of different components almost seamlessly collaged together and it's just fun.

8.8 + .5 = 9.3
    Sentenza

10th
    Low - Tempest

Oooooooh. This is dark and brooding and glitchy in all the right ways.

8.9 + .5 = 9.4
    schadd

9th
    I Am Robot And Proud - Center Cities

This is really nice in a more low-key way, it's not chaotic like a lot of the other subs, but has a lot of pleasant and crisp components that are nicely arranged. It feels good on my brain. Something I'd come back to for sure.

9.0 + .5 = 9.5
    MyNameIsNothing

8th
    Propius - Shatter

Yep. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. It maintains my interest throughout, and the slower section is a nice contrast as well.

9.1 + .5 = 9.6
    gbsfranca

7th
    Anna Meredith - R-Type

Holy $%#! this is cool. I'm a simp for cello in any context lol and as a whole this is just a really fun composition. Actually reminds me a ton of Battles -- quite a bit in actual sound but even more so in the stylistic vibes of like, the dedication to the craft, making love to their instruments and just having a hell of a good time.

9.2 + .5 = 9.7
    vanity.

6th
    Lorenzo Senni - XBreakingEdgeX

Oohh this is cool. It's a bit on the abrasive side but definitely compelling. Really grew on me a couple listens in. Ended up moving significantly higher than I originally had it tbh, really great sub.

9.3 + .5 = 9.8
    SchizoAffected

19. ISO #69
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

Guillotina
    Keldeo
    roro__b
    Tangrowth
    Visorslash

20. ISO #70
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

Aphex Twin - T69 Collapse

Not surprised to see an Aphex Twin sub here. Don't specifically know this one so there you go. Great pick for the cat, super trippy man.

9.4 + .5 = 9.9
    Visorslash

4th

Max Cooper - Cyclic

Mmm this is definitely cool. Similar to Four Tet but a little... spicier? darker? idk. Definitely holds my attention.

9.5 + .5 = 10.0
    Keldeo

3rd

Autechre - Garbage

Buckling in for 14 minutes of Tangycore hype. I should check out more Autechre, this is hitting a lot of qualities I like. When it gets going it's pretty decidedly awesome.

9.6 + .5 = 10.1
    Tangrowth

2nd

IAMX - Hysteria

Niiiiiice. I really dig this, it totally captivates me in a tapestry of sound and texture. Only complaint is it ends too sooooon

9.7 + .5 = 10.2
    Guillotina

1st

Ochre - Drink Malk

Ohhh yeahhh. This is hype. Absolutely what I wanted here.

9.8 + .5 = 10.3
    roro__b

Thanks for subbing everyone, these were awesome!! Stay tuned for Cat 2 soon

21. ISO #71
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I should enjoy the fact that I'm beating Keldeo while I can.

22. ISO #72
    Great reveal, many albums to download and lots of awesome music suitable for future gaming sessions. If the reveals are of similar length in the future, this fits into my schedule absolutely perfectly!

23. ISO #73
    There were some awesome songs on the list tonight! Especially love to see some IAMX action get on the board. Thanks for the reveal! Glad you liked the song.
    Last edited by Sunbae; April 15th, 2021 at 01:18 AM.

24. ISO #74
    I make poor decisions when drunk Viggorous's Avatar
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT

Had to find a different link for this, should be right I hope. The synths and beat are rather nice and her voice meshes well; the effect in the last minute is cool too. Ultimately it's good but not as ~innovative~ as some other subs wrt the category. Idk might be robbing.
    This is the single edit version of the song which is nearly 3 minutes shorter than the album version that I sent

Edit: and the composition of the song is altogether different. There's even some of the instruments omitted on the single version.
    Last edited by Viggorous; April 15th, 2021 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubtingThomas (#1916)
    u are the imbecile for wanting to lynch me after that d1

just please never call yourself
    VIGGOAT or whatever that $%#! you say

cuz it's really not true not at all after your recent performances and you must feel it

or are you just spite killing me like you did RC?

25. ISO #75
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggorous (#74)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella (#67)

This is the single edit version of the song which is nearly 3 minutes shorter than the album version that I sent

Edit: and the composition of the song is altogether different. There's even some of the instruments omitted on the single version.
    Ohhh no the video wasn't available for me and i thought the one i found would be the same, sorry!! I can look for the album version and give it a re-eval.

26. ISO #76
    I make poor decisions when drunk Viggorous's Avatar
    Community
    2+2 and PokerNet
    AKA
    VigGOAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggorous (#74)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella (#67)

Ohhh no the video wasn't available for me and i thought the one i found would be the same, sorry!! I can look for the album version and give it a re-eval.
    That'd be very cool, I think the album version is more interesting at least. I believe it can be found on SoundCloud or Spotify in the OG version
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubtingThomas (#1916)
    u are the imbecile for wanting to lynch me after that d1

just please never call yourself
    VIGGOAT or whatever that $%#! you say

cuz it's really not true not at all after your recent performances and you must feel it

or are you just spite killing me like you did RC?

27. ISO #77
    Community
    CFC
    AKA
    guillotine
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Ampharos submission made the day for me. There were others that were added to my playlist but #22 in on loop mode.
    MU Exclusive Games

OPEN WORLD (Co-Hosted with Trustworthy Liberal)
    Deck Mafia (Co-Hosted with TripleHaven)
    Anime World

28. ISO #78
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUGfkjGeM6g

**RESCORE with full version:** Alright the extra couple minutes actually bop, there's nice beats that do make it a stronger catfit. I love the little drop at 3:56 and as a whole composition it's definitely engaging. Bumping up to 8.5 base/9.0 total (tieing 15th).

Apologies again for missing out on the correct version, it is in fact better lol and adjusting your score accordingly.

29. ISO #79
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

A reminder that for Category 2 (Bread and Butter) you are permitted/encouraged to include a brief writeup contextualizing your own personal connection with the song -- only about a third of you did, so thought I'd give the rest another chance to append them. I can't guarantee it will affect your score at all lol but it is cool to get further understanding of the selections for those comfortable sharing (and I'll share them in the reveals unless you request to keep it private). I'll accept them up until the day before reveal, which *may* be as soon as late next week because I'm crazy, but not sure yet.

30. ISO #80
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    o, don't share mine

31. ISO #81
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    o, don't share mine
    gotcha

32. ISO #82
    Timezone
    Community
    The Syndicate
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    I'm gonna spend an additional week with your sentimental songs. Planning cat 2 reveal for the Wednesday after next, April 28th at 4pm pacific/7pm eastern.