Thread: Mental Health Awareness Month -- Writing Prompt Event Brainstorming

1. ISO #1
    Community
    CFC / BFC

Mental Health Awareness Month -- Writing Prompt Event Brainstorming

Hi,

I'm considering running some sort of writing prompt activity for during MU's mental health awareness month.

Off-hand, the prompt would be something mental health related, but not limited to personal experience. In other words, it doesn't need to draw from your own trauma, though it can if you feel that'd be cathartic or enjoyable. I am also flexible on this; perhaps the prompt would be best received if it had nothing to do with mental health at all.

The biggest issue I'm coming up against here is interest. I have experience running prompts with writers, but none with an adjacent community. (There may be writers in the Mafia community, but the community isn't specifically about writing.)

I thought, before actually trying to make this happen, I would reach out and see what would make something like this enjoyable for people.

Would you want the prompt to be broad or narrow? For example, broad would be "flash fiction about mental health," whereas narrow would be "flash fiction about the colour blue, the emotion of anticipation, and nature."

Would you want some form of presentation of these prompts? A voice-chat reading? Some kind of reveal a la walruses?

Would you want there to be a "judging" process, where people can vote for their favourite, or would you rather it just be a spotlighting for everyone who submits?

There doesn't need to be many writers, though it'd be nice if there were a few readers!

2. ISO #2
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    I would prefer a broad but existing prompt, with no judging. But I'm going to join regardless!
    Town!Michelle: I knew you were villager but I voted you [anyway]

3. ISO #3
    Everyone's mom...except Roro__b's dyachei's Avatar Head Moderator
    Community
    SDN, MU
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself
    i might give it a shot based on how much free time I have to do it
    Yes I am offcially more annoying than navi. Misson accomplished. - Fable

i have deep seated lust for villager from animal crossing - Cory

4. ISO #4
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn (#1)
    Would you want some form of presentation of these prompts? A voice-chat reading? Some kind of reveal a la walruses?
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bolded in particular!!!!!!
    Message a ghost at Arapocalypse#0834!

[9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be Boq
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Wait for the principal in the cafeteria
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be offered coffee by the peeps there
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: "Nice"
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Grab a random mug. Enjoy your coffee. Notice that it says "principal's mug" on it

5. ISO #5
    Community
    CFC / BFC
    Current iteration of this:

1. Writer has a choice of one of three prompts.

2. Word count limit of 1000 words.

3. Deadline of one week after "assignment."

4. Finished pieces are read aloud on voice chat, either by me or the writer. Depending on how many submit, this'll rotate between MU Discord and Syndicate Discord. I'll try and choose a time that works for the most people, but I'm personally limited to vc-presenting on week days between 11 AM and 4 PM PST. Writers who want to read their own pieces can, of course, pick a time more suitable for them.

4b. The only voice chat here would be the presenter and not the listeners, so no need to worry if you're shy, don't like talking, etc. Just connect and mute yourself.

5. Finished pieces will also be posted here in GD and on TS.

6. Writers can remain anonymous or use a pen name for purposes of reveal. (Should I also find a way for anon submissions to me?)

7. No judging/voting process.

I've made a Strawpoll for gauging interest.

http://www.strawpoll.me/45232502

I'm not sure, exactly, how many I need to go through with this, but I'll give the poll until the 7th and then see.
    Last edited by Syn; May 5th, 2021 at 03:19 PM.

6. ISO #6
    Suck it up, Buttercup Timsup2nothin's Avatar
    Community
    Barbarian Fanatics Center
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    I have a decent radio voice and would read for anyone that does not want to read for themselves.

I also suggest that the readings be pre-recorded, played in the voice chat, and made available for people who cannot be there at the designated time.
    Last edited by Timsup2nothin; May 5th, 2021 at 08:02 PM.

7. ISO #7
    Community
    CFC / BFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Timsup2nothin (#6)
    I have a decent radio voice and would read for anyone that does not want to read for themselves.

I also suggest that the readings be pre-recorded, played in the voice chat, and made available for people who cannot be there at the designated time.
    Pre-recording would allow me to present anytime between 11 AM and 9 PM PST.

8. ISO #8
    11 AM and 4 PM PST is nigh on perfect for me almost any day of the week but i understand that's not universal :V

i didn't know what to write here especially because this is the sort of thing i often get excited about but then feel like i should do and then stress out about it and don't end up submitting things

but this in particular seems like a super fun and valuable activity and bonding experience and i'd love to participate

i personally think narrower prompts make things easier for me

super excited to see what comes out of this

thanks for setting things up syn

9. ISO #9
    Community
    CFC / BFC
    Seems like there is decent interest for writers. I'm going to assume there are plenty of readers eagerly waiting, too.

I've been swamped with work but I'll try and get something sorted this weekend.

I will likely do an anon submission form just to make things easier; writers can offer their username if they'd like, but there's no obligation.

About presenting: I like Tim's idea of pre-recording the readings. This greatly increases my availability from 11 AM to 4 PM PST on weekdays to 11 AM to 9 PM PST all week, including weekends.

10. ISO #10
    1610 roro__b's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Hattrick
    AKA
    dobby
    Pronouns
    it/it/its/its/itself
    Seems like there is decent interest for writers. I'm going to assume there are plenty of readers eagerly waiting, too.

I've been swamped with work but I'll try and get something sorted this weekend.

I will likely do an anon submission form just to make things easier; writers can offer their username if they'd like, but there's no obligation.

About presenting: I like Tim's idea of pre-recording the readings. This greatly increases my availability from 11 AM to 4 PM PST on weekdays to 11 AM to 9 PM PST all week, including weekends.
    I'm guessing if we just tell some ppl beforehand and they see people in vc in discord, they'll naturally join the call.. love this a lot tbh!!

11. ISO #11
    Community
    CFC / BFC
    What up, gangsters?

I've written the prompt event document.

I thought I would offer the event guidelines now so writers can get going.

Find out more about the prompts and the limitations here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The above also talks about the presentations. If you're a potential writer, this document is everything you need to get started.

The deadline to have your prompt submitted to me is SUNDAY, MAY 16.

Here is the submission form: https://forms.gle/wFiKZH81gTfDkzdw6

It is anonymous. It does not collect your email or Google account info. You can submit your prompt in an incognito window for extra assurance.
    Last edited by Syn; Today at 01:59 AM.

12. ISO #12
    Community
    CFC / BFC
    Post above updated with the anonymous submission form.

In other words: We're fully in business. Pick a prompt. Write. Submit!

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.