my name is nothing and this walrus will surely be something
you all know the drill at this point but tl;dr look at the categories and submit songs you think fit, win big if i love the songs you choose! easy enough, eh?
keeping this one a little simple and short and sweet, wanna get a feel for hosting one of these before trying anything too crazy, expect a more fleshed out mnin-rus shortly after this one finishes
alt subs both allowed and encouraged
please send your subs as a list of links, i want to judge these blind
feel free to submit on here or on discord (MyNameIsNothing#1760) (remove embeds if you submit on discord please!)
DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 15th 2021
all genres have potential to do well and tank hard
lyrics only matter if they are particularly good or particularly bad
general favorite genres: ambient, idm, house (and many other dance genres), art pop, noise pop, glitch, etc but please dont pigeonhole yourself into only subbing these genres~
probs avoid: anything you may describe as “epic”, electro swing lol
keeping this short but feel free to ask any questions in thread or elsewhere. check the banned artists for some all time favorites and last.fm/rym for everything else!
https://www.last.fm/user/mninmnin (almost all my listening since late 2015 in one convenient place)
https://rateyourmusic.com/~MyNameIsNothing (only have ratings from the past year or so, but good resource to see what i’ve scored well in that time)
banned artists (aka my top 50 on last.fm)
broken social scene
car seat headrest
carly rae jepsen
jefre cantu ledesma
loona (and subgroups)
oneohtrix point never
portugal the man
0.0 to 10.0 scale
+.5 if you score above an 8
+ an additional .5 if you score above a 9
+1 if I haven’t heard the song before
+1 if I haven’t heard ANYTHING by the artist submitted before
=13 total possible points
kind of big unfamiliarity bonuses but i really want to encourage people to sub me things i haven’t heard before. my last.fm and rym are linked in the “tastes” section, please take advantage of them!
cats are pretty simple so catfit won't have a huge influence on score this time around
1. post avant jazzcore is better than progressive dreamfunk: a song that is hard to define. something experimental, something genre-bending, something weird
david tudor - rainforest iv
giant claw - until mirror
sweet trip - fruitcake and cookies
2. obligatory sad cat: a song that tackles themes of grief, loss, death, or heartbreak. (songs that aren't inherently sad but tackle these themes also allowed!)
circuit des yeux - walking toward winter
kanye west - ghost town
sophie - just like we never said goodbye
3. sampled: a song that has BEEN sampled. inspiration for this cat comes from songs i heard AFTER i heard them used in a sample, but as long as its been sampled somewhere before you're fine. whosampled.com good resource for this if you dont have anything off the top of your head. dont worry about including where its sampled i'll look it up myself!
if you're really struggling with this cat i'll allow songs that CONTAIN samples as well but this will lightly affect scoring if you go this route!
dr. buzzard's original savannah band - sunshower sampled in M.I.A.'s "sunshower"
delia derbyshire - pot au feu sampled in danny brown's "when it rain"
eko roosevelt louis - tondoho mba sampled in disclosure's "tondo"
4. lavender pillow: something to fall asleep to. ambient and its contemporaries obviously fit the bill, but anything hazy and dreamy likely to do well.
belong - i never lose. never really
grouper - headache
el ten eleven - my only swerving
5. jazz, metal, hip hop: literally just something from any of these 3 genres.
pharaoh sanders - the creator has a master plan
danny brown - ain't it funny
deafheaven - dream house
Shad (need a cat 3)