Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: #27: A Practical Guide to Producing Engaging Content (by JohnCarter)

  1. ISO #1

    #27: A Practical Guide to Producing Engaging Content (by JohnCarter)

    Article #27: A Practical Guide to Producing Engaging Content

    -by JohnCarter

    The purpose of the article:

    It is a common complaint that either:
    > "No one reads what I say", or
    > "My wall was ignored"

    Fear not, you are not alone! These complaints are common amongst the best of players and even finalists of the Mafia Championship. This article will provide clear pointers on how to make your content more engaging, no matter the length. You will benefit from this article if you are:

    > Experienced, looking for ways to generate more engaging content.
    > New, and are exploring how to communicate well in a game.

    This article will not tell you how to play. It won’t tell you to “not post walls”, or “pressure wolves frequently, not in one go”. Rather, it will provide ideas on how to make what you do write engaging. If you are short on time, you can simply read the bolded titles below and have a pretty vague, but good idea about how to improve your content. Think of your next wall like that!

    Otherwise, unlike my own advice below, I went into some detail under each principle (what it means, good/bad examples). I determined that this would assist people struggling with those specific issues better than a more concise and aesthetically pleasing article may.

    Finally, if you stick around until the end, I have created a task where you can test yourself (< 5 minutes) to see if you have learnt anything.

    Remember, I’m not telling you how to play. I’m assisting you to improve whatever content you choose to produce. Let’s begin:

    Principle 1 - Hook your reader:


    Explanation of principle: your first sentence should be enough to make people interested in the rest of your content.

    A good example: "YOLOSWAG is the most swag person in this game, and here I will explain why:"

    A bad example: "I was reading through a bunch of things this game and begun to think the swag in this game is noteworthy."

    No one wants to read 5, 15, or 50 sentences of content if your first sentence is not engaging. If you can make one change to your content today, this is it.


    Principle 2 - Reduce reader burden by producing concise content:

    Explanation of principle: Reader burden is anything that makes it more difficult to read your content. This can be in the form of: content that is too lengthy (aka, not concise; there's a difference between not concise and long posts), content that is monotonous, or content where the reader has to connect the dots for the writer. For this principle, concise content is the topic.

    Concise does not mean 'short'. Concise means brief, but comprehensive. You can have a concise wall. You can have an inconcise short post. Make concise posts the following way:

    1) Ask: Am I repeating myself without having the intended (e.g. dramatic) effect? If yes, remove repeated content.

    2) Ask: Have I flooded my post with old quotes that people don't want to read? If yes, remove. Alternatively: place relevant old quotes into a spoiler.

    3) For your own interpretations of what is happening, try to maintain a 2-3 sentence limit per point. This is not a hard limit, but experience tells me that if you write paragraphs of your own thoughts to argue a point about others, people will blindly label it as subjective and therefore inaccurate.

    4) Accompany your own interpretations with evidence, more on this later.

    A good example:



    This is not a wolf progression for a few reasons
    1. Implicitly I don't just decide to sheep Mac instead of Ladd as a wolf. I have cover to keep sheeping Ladd and wolfsiding. This is a very strong reason i'm a villager, because it is so subtle.

    2. If i'm a wolf with ladd and decide to bus him (again, for pretty much the first time i've bussed ever), I probably go more ham on him in a performative way. EG, questions/attacks/the works. AKA: I kept it simple and simply townsided without the bells and whistles.

    3. When I shot ladd, he still had heaps of equity. In fact, he easily survived the day and only got outed in the event the day after. This is outside of my wolfrange to do that.

    4. I shot ladd with a DOUBLE boosted ITA shot. It was not a vanity shot for a show, I meant business.

    5. I had an excuse to shoot Jan, who actually ended up being V, with my BOOSTED ita shot, but did the appropriate thing and shot ladd as he was a leading wagon at the time.


    A bad example, saying the same thing in an inconcise way:

    I can never ever be a wolf because how could I be? Can you imagine me being a wolf? I literally cannot. It is impossible and I don't get how you think it? Quas can you talk to me about how you think it because I have explained above why I am not a wolf. Like for example I don't just decide to sheep Mac instead of Ladd as a wolf. I have cover to keep sheeping Ladd and wolfsiding. Here I chose to sheep Mac instead of Ladd whereas as a wolf maybe I don't do this? Yeah I think as a wolf I don't do this

    This is a very strong reason i'm a villager, because it is so subtle. Doesn't a wolf just always powerwolf. I think I am a powerwolf so I don't think as a wolf I don't powerwolf here. That seems weird. AND ALSO If i'm a wolf with ladd and decide to bus him (again, for pretty much the first time i've bussed ever), I probably go more ham on him in a performative way. Because remember ladd is a wolf and Mac is a villager. As a powerwolf then I wouldn't sheep the villager there, surely? I mean you could argue I would but it seems kinda pointless. Anyone wanna explain that to me?? Seems counter productive.

    EG, questions/attacks/the works. AKA: I kept it simple and simply townsided without the bells and whistles. So what I mean by that is that I could've taken a lot of credit and stuff like "hey guys look I did this thing and I did that thing". Except I didn't. Can you guys show me examples of where I didn't just get along with the game? I don't remember any but I am happy to proven wrong. Either way that wouldn't make a wolf but there you go, I don't think I did that because I'm a villager and only wolves do that.

    I think you should remember that when I shot ladd, he still had heaps of equity. WHat do I mean by that? I mean that he could have lived further in my opinion right. Because if he had lived longer and not been shot by me then he could've survived and then he would've won. But I shot him when it mattered. In fact, he easily survived the day and only got outted in the event the day after. This is outside of my wolfrange to do that. I shot ladd with a DOUBLE boosted ITA shot. It was not a vanity shot for a show, I meant business. I had an excuse to shoot Jan, who actually ended up being V, with my BOOSTED ita shot, but did the appropriate thing and shot ladd as he was a leading wagon at the time.


    The takeaway: Use less words for what you need to say. You can write a lot of words but keep them to the point. This is called being concise.


    Principle 3 - Reduce reader burden by improving viewability, the key to any content:

    The principle explained: Don't have everything look the same. It is simple, but, use spaces, paragraphs, bold, underline, italics, font size, colours to emphasize key points, and goal posts (a start and end: see Principle 1 and Principle 5).

    A good example: short post


    This is not a wolf progression for a few reasons
    1. Implicitly I don't just decide to sheep Mac instead of Ladd as a wolf. I have cover to keep sheeping Ladd and wolfsiding. This is a very strong reason i'm a villager, because it is so subtle.

    2. If i'm a wolf with ladd and decide to bus him (again, for pretty much the first time i've bussed ever), I probably go more ham on him in a performative way. EG, questions/attacks/the works. AKA: I kept it simple and simply townsided without the bells and whistles.

    3. When I shot ladd, he still had heaps of equity. In fact, he easily survived the day and only got outted in the event the day after. This is outside of my wolfrange to do that.

    4. I shot ladd with a DOUBLE boosted ITA shot. It was not a vanity shot for a show, I meant business.

    5. I had an excuse to shoot Jan, who actually ended up being V, with my BOOSTED ita shot, but did the appropriate thing and shot ladd as he was a leading wagon at the time.

    It is good because I have produced a numbered list with a foreseeable goal post. I have bolded my title, and kept things concise. We can make this a bad example by simply changing these elements:

    A bad example: short post


    This is not a wolf progression for a few reasons. Implicitly I don't just decide to sheep Mac instead of Ladd as a wolf. I have cover to keep sheeping Ladd and wolfsiding. This is a very strong reason i'm a villager, because it is so subtle. If i'm a wolf with ladd and decide to bus him (again, for pretty much the first time i've bussed ever), I probably go more ham on him in a performative way. EG, questions/attacks/the works. AKA: I kept it simple and simply townsided without the bells and whistles. When I shot ladd, he still had heaps of equity. In fact, he easily survived the day and only got outed in the event the day after. This is outside of my wolfrange to do that. I shot ladd with a DOUBLE boosted ITA shot. It was not a vanity shot for a show, I meant business. I had an excuse to shoot Jan, who actually ended up being V, with my BOOSTED ita shot, but did the appropriate thing and shot ladd as he was a leading wagon at the time.


    Monotonous posts aren’t exclusive to long posts. You can keep any post engaging through the visual tools at your availability.

    A good example: long post

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter (#1480)
    I take issue with Vandy's 'solving' this game.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1199)
    HORNET

    Some of hornet's reads on JC and being pockety in #837 and #845 feel hedgy and feels like it's asking questions just to ask them.
    Spends a bunch of posts kinda just asking questions that are like "restate your read in different words". Namely #855, #864, and #872.
    #878 is Fine I guess? Although I like the direction. I'm kinda wondering if I'm incapable of reading Hornet's posts or there isn't much there.
    #905 Kinda want to town read them having suspicion of Wiml's quick read. But like the rest of the post does absolutely nothing for me.
    #915 is just more questions.
    #934All of these reads feel made up, and the wiml thing about not wanting to vote him seems to come out of nowhere consider the sus on him like 60 posts prior.
    They talk about their flip on wiml a bit in #939 but it's just so surface level. Then more questions.

    This slot does absolutely nothing for me. A bunch of questions that lead no where and 2 or 3 reads that are hedgy. Leaning Mafia
    I've highlighted the reasons you wolf-read Hornet red, and your conclusion blue.

    This is you saying what Hornet is doing. This is not you saying why this makes Hornet a wolf.

    You're reading very NAI behaviours as wolfy because ? - and you don't leave a trail of thought as to why lots of questions is wolf indicative. Where is the village logic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1161)
    Pilica(1)- moving on

    Soneji- #696 The questioning of Katze on their read of Wiml being scummy in #260 is good, because I'm not quite sure what's so wolfy about that post in a vacuum. But then moves on townread Katze's push onto Alexa. I don't know if I like this. It isn't a particularly good push and I'm not quite sure why Soneji thinks so. But also, it reads as a partnery town read, and obviously can't be, so I don't know. I actually got those comments mixed up, which kinda makes the push on Katze a bit townier.
    After the questioning of Katze's read on Wiml, He goes to defend Wiml.
    I kinda townread the tone of
    I always dread it when I'm really late to posting because the longer I take the more expectation there is that my opening wall will be amazing and crack the game wide open. We both know from SF1 that a lot of it is irrelevant to anyone but myself.
    In the opposite vein thought, I dislike the "You should have posted it" talking about alexa's read on Vanity. It feels kinda admonishy and LAMIST. "WEll, I as town would have posted it". Seems wolfy.
    Then Votes Wiml. $%#! it man. I was gearing up to call them partners. Actually, this could be a partnery distancing vote, but I'm not going there until flips.
    Nah #760, probably not with Wiml. I think the way Soneji reads Wiml's post about Gorf and thinks its scummy that he didn't vote/out a scumread on Gorf is a great point, and get's town points for me.
    Also, big fan of the "goody two shoes" read on JC in #824.
    He's made enough posts that I like that I'm gonna throw him as a Town lean. But I'd love to hear him talk a bit more.
    You don't have a reason to town-read Soneji here. You sandwiched every reason you town-read a post with a reason you did not town-read a post. The exception is the goody two shoes read, bolded, but that doesn't say why that says anything about Soneji's alignment. Soneji as a human likely thinks that regardless of alignment, but you make no visible effort to understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1222)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#1211)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sun Fan (#1198)
    I got confirmed as town fairly early, not sure how much help it would be to you

    quals g8 is probably a lot better
    noted

    point was "it's another game i have to look at for you if i need to, one that isn't in your MU player stats"

    but this means more for vandy who has basically none than you, was just a nice bonus to see you in the PL

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1199)
    HORNET

    Some of hornet's reads on JC and being pockety in #837 and #845 feel hedgy and feels like it's asking questions just to ask them.
    Spends a bunch of posts kinda just asking questions that are like "restate your read in different words". Namely #855, #864, and #872.
    #878 is Fine I guess? Although I like the direction. I'm kinda wondering if I'm incapable of reading Hornet's posts or there isn't much there.
    #905 Kinda want to town read them having suspicion of Wiml's quick read. But like the rest of the post does absolutely nothing for me.
    #915 is just more questions.
    #934All of these reads feel made up, and the wiml thing about not wanting to vote him seems to come out of nowhere consider the sus on him like 60 posts prior.
    They talk about their flip on wiml a bit in #939 but it's just so surface level. Then more questions.

    This slot does absolutely nothing for me. A bunch of questions that lead no where and 2 or 3 reads that are hedgy. Leaning Mafia
    regarding P#837/P#845: do you think hornets "they feel reserved" read on JC is unreasonable to have for him? earlier in this game i had a similar read on wisdom, where i found posts of hers wolfy but people were wolfreading her for other reasons, ones i disagreed with, so i think that process is completely solid? and tbh i don't actually think saying JC feels reserved compared to SF2 is inaccurate, JC was pretty commandeering in the thread at certain points whereas here i can kinda see him trying harder to be more like the glue keeping the thread together than spearheading the thread on his own

    feel like a lot of your other issues might be hornet-specific problems? i know he kind of has a problem with people scumreading his general demeanor regardless of alignment

    not right now, but at some point, can you skim one of his other champs games and see if you think there's a glaring difference there?
    I think JC has been super positive and buddy buddy, which is not something I really remember from his SF at all. It just feels so.... fake and forced.
    And you defintely aren't the first person to mention that Hornet is very hard to read to for players with no experience with him. So maybe i'll just take your word for it, because I am almost certainly not going back to read games.

    Therefore JC is mafia.
    I've highlighted your projected thinking red, and i've taken the liberty to add in your conclusion in blue.

    This is another example of you not explaining why being super positive is alignment indicative, nor where I am fake, where I am forced, and in what way that does something to give you the idea that I am a wolf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1234)
    I still think Greg is more town than not, and I think HF is being incredibly unfair in his reaction to Greg's reaction to his readslist
    I've highlighted your shade of HF red. You don't follow up what this means about Greg's alignment, nor what it says about HF's alignment. You call it unfair, move on with your day, then you just drop this reads list several posts later, simply plonking them in the middle right next to year other, never having considered the implications of the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1240)
    Updated Reads list in order. AMA

    Town:
    Vanity
    Wisdom
    Katze

    Town Leans:
    Thunal
    Alexa
    TSF
    HF
    Soneji
    Gorf


    Null Leaning Town
    Boq

    True Null
    Pilica

    Scum Leans
    Wiml
    Hornet
    JC


    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1275)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet (#1270)
    few questions abd a reply from skimming btw

    @Wiml why do i have enough content to lock v but not enough content to explain why you think im v?

    @Vandyfan402 explain exactly why my questions are going nowhere when i literally changed my jc read based off if questions
    akso, do inform ne how you expect a villa to solve without questions? because peoplez responses to my questions feed into my reads
    like oh, /any/ of the read lists i posted perhaps

    @Wisdom why is boq low poe, or has he moved up? i feel like i didnt see you answer that, and i still need to form a proper read theee

    @vanity. i admit i might have gotten a bit excited now ive had time to reflect on it - but at the time id just been talking to gorf & we both liked his reactions to pressure/his reas on katze
    I don't particularly like your flip on JC, and most of your questions don't seem like a question to learn anything[/COLOR]. #864. all you've done here is be like "reexplain this please." #855 asks Wiml why he changed a read, even though he explained it in the post your quoted.

    Therefore Hornet is a wolf.
    So this is the first time in the game that you've actually said why someone's behaviour that you label as negative actually indicates why they are a villager (green) to form a conclusion (blue). Red still exists where this does not happen once again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1324)
    I'd appreciate someone else engaging with my read. Because I'm not a huge fan of hornet's response to me. Screaming that what they did isn't wolfy. It isn't real solving. But anyway, I'm gonna go to bed.
    Hornet's response to you was a narrative telling of events because your read on him was a narrative telling of events. The stimulus determines the response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1334)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanity. (#1330)
    is vandy’s worldview that hornet/wiml/jc are all wolves or something? i guess that doesn’t sound completely ridiculous but he’s acting like wiml casing hornet changes nothing for him, and that just reeks of gross conf bias.
    I think there are very likely wolves in there. Is that the team, probably not, but like, there's scum there for sure. I'd love to see Wiml give me more casing of Hornet. That wasn't sarcasm. like, specific posts and why they are in Hornet's town meta.
    From my understanding, red is you putting forward a solve of myself, hornet, wiml. The problem is that you called Hornet a wolf for existing, you called wiml a wolf because ?, and your progression on me makes no sense and ignores your five top villagers telling you you are incorrect.

    Personally, given your conclusion (blue) is not supported by your reasoning (red - here and previously), it makes me concerened that you are unable to quantify why people are wolves.

    In retrospect, I also think "there is scum there for sure" is something you've added in superficially in case you flip, so that when the villagers who caught you by TMI last game go through your spew, they spurriously declare that this is also TMI.

    Au contraire, if Vandy flips wolf, wiml anl hornet are lock villagers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#148)
    I think Wiml is already less towny that he was in SF2
    This was your most substantive take on Wiml in terms of quality, yet he is in a 'must contain scum pile'.

    Below is a random collection of your (lack of) coherent progression on me. You went from 'I have concerns about JC' to 'JC is solving well' to 'JC is below null' to 'JC got townier' to 'JC is lamist' and you don't support any of these claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#345)
    So this is weird read, but I don't think JC has been very towny in tone, but I like his solving

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#649)
    I woke up late so I don’t really have time to play before work, but I was able on catch up to the thread. I think over night Katze, Gorf, and Wisdom got townier. Wiml stayed the same. Boq seems scummier. JC also got townier, but him writing a post about not locking anyone in, and then seconding Katzes I’m never voting on HF is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#743)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boquise (#740)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter (#735)
    Hello Soneji.

    ——

    It’s worth us trying to be mindful of the multiple different timezones we are all in that may only give us a few hours of cross over. EG, I’ve posted a bunch because I’ve had the entire day to do so, others haven’t done any solving because they’re just waking up, working, etc.

    Worth noting given it will be a much greater issue than semi finals where timezones were more closely aligned with schedules, and there will likely be an element of reduced live interaction.
    this is pocketing me smh
    Really? I’m popping in to say the exact opposite. It feels very LAMIST. It feels fake. “Golly gee guys, don’t forget to work with each other!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1157)
    My only issue with Thunal is that although she's been very tonally towny, her read on me sucks. It's like such a base level read from like 12 hours ago, and the fact that she's continuing to keep me at the VERY TOP of her town reads is crazy to me.

    Therefore Thunal is suspicious
    Another example of what you're projecting as solving (red) not explaining the implied conclusion (blue), this time for Thunal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1159)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sun Fan (#1158)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1157)
    My only issue with Thunal is that although she's been very tonally towny, her read on me sucks. It's like such a base level read from like 12 hours ago, and the fact that she's continuing to keep me at the VERY TOP of her town reads is crazy to me.
    before I ISO'd you, I was doing the same thing almost exactly
    did it not bother you?
    But then you Iso'd me. And your read has more depth and meta behind it. Thunal doesn't seem to have other reasons other than the bucket thing and tone (which I think people now know I can easily fake as mafia.) Therefore Thunal is mafia
    Grass is green. Why does red make you concerned about Thunal?





    My conclusion is that you're finding it incredibly difficult to ennunciate why people are wolves and you're just saying fallacious behaviours are a bad look. Your solve is there, but it isn't justified and you've been more than happy to shade people without projecting any progression of thought.

    This post used colours, horizontal lines, clear conclusions, and bold for emphasis. In this case, the post was very engaging for other people for these reasons, and that was despite it being a LONG post. A decision was made not to spoiler old quotes, because of colouring for emphasis - see what works for you!

    A bad example, long post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter (#1480)
    I take issue with Vandy's 'solving' this game.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1199)
    HORNET

    Some of hornet's reads on JC and being pockety in #837 and #845 feel hedgy and feels like it's asking questions just to ask them.
    Spends a bunch of posts kinda just asking questions that are like "restate your read in different words". Namely #855, #864, and #872.
    #878 is Fine I guess? Although I like the direction. I'm kinda wondering if I'm incapable of reading Hornet's posts or there isn't much there.
    #905 Kinda want to town read them having suspicion of Wiml's quick read. But like the rest of the post does absolutely nothing for me.
    #915 is just more questions
    #934All of these reads feel made up, and the wiml thing about not wanting to vote him seems to come out of nowhere consider the sus on him like 60 posts prior.
    They talk about their flip on wiml a bit in #939 but it's just so surface level. Then more questions.

    This slot does absolutely nothing for me. A bunch of questions that lead no where and 2 or 3 reads that are hedgy. Leaning Mafia
    I've highlighted the reasons you wolf-read Hornet red, and your conclusion blue.

    This is you saying what Hornet is doing. This is not you saying why this makes Hornet a wolf.

    You're reading very NAI behaviours as wolfy because ? - and you don't leave a trail of thought as to why lots of questions is wolf indicative. Where is the village logic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1161)
    Pilica(1)- moving on

    Soneji- #696 The questioning of Katze on their read of Wiml being scummy in #260 is good, because I'm not quite sure what's so wolfy about that post in a vacuum. But then moves on townread Katze's push onto Alexa. I don't know if I like this. It isn't a particularly good push and I'm not quite sure why Soneji thinks so. But also, it reads as a partnery town read, and obviously can't be, so I don't know. I actually got those comments mixed up, which kinda makes the push on Katze a bit townier.
    After the questioning of Katze's read on Wiml, He goes to defend Wiml.
    I kinda townread the tone of
    I always dread it when I'm really late to posting because the longer I take the more expectation there is that my opening wall will be amazing and crack the game wide open. We both know from SF1 that a lot of it is irrelevant to anyone but myself.
    In the opposite vein thought, I dislike the "You should have posted it" talking about alexa's read on Vanity. It feels kinda admonishy and LAMIST. "WEll, I as town would have posted it". Seems wolfy.
    Then Votes Wiml. $%#! it man. I was gearing up to call them partners. Actually, this could be a partnery distancing vote, but I'm not going there until flips.
    Nah #760, probably not with Wiml. I think the way Soneji reads Wiml's post about Gorf and thinks its scummy that he didn't vote/out a scumread on Gorf is a great point, and get's town points for me.
    Also, big fan of the "goody two shoes" read on JC in #824.
    He's made enough posts that I like that I'm gonna throw him as a Town lean. But I'd love to hear him talk a bit more.
    You don't have a reason to town-read Soneji here. You sandwiched every reason you town-read a post with a reason you did not town-read a post. The exception is the goody two shoes read, bolded, but that doesn't say why that says anything about Soneji's alignment. Soneji as a human likely thinks that regardless of alignment, but you make no visible effort to understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1222)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#1211)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sun Fan (#1198)
    I got confirmed as town fairly early, not sure how much help it would be to you

    quals g8 is probably a lot better
    noted

    point was "it's another game i have to look at for you if i need to, one that isn't in your MU player stats"

    but this means more for vandy who has basically none than you, was just a nice bonus to see you in the PL

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1199)
    HORNET

    Some of hornet's reads on JC and being pockety in #837 and #845 feel hedgy and feels like it's asking questions just to ask them.
    Spends a bunch of posts kinda just asking questions that are like "restate your read in different words". Namely #855, #864, and #872.
    #878 is Fine I guess? Although I like the direction. I'm kinda wondering if I'm incapable of reading Hornet's posts or there isn't much there.
    #905 Kinda want to town read them having suspicion of Wiml's quick read. But like the rest of the post does absolutely nothing for me.
    #915 is just more questions.
    #934All of these reads feel made up, and the wiml thing about not wanting to vote him seems to come out of nowhere consider the sus on him like 60 posts prior.
    They talk about their flip on wiml a bit in #939 but it's just so surface level. Then more questions.

    This slot does absolutely nothing for me. A bunch of questions that lead no where and 2 or 3 reads that are hedgy. Leaning Mafia
    regarding P#837/P#845: do you think hornets "they feel reserved" read on JC is unreasonable to have for him? earlier in this game i had a similar read on wisdom, where i found posts of hers wolfy but people were wolfreading her for other reasons, ones i disagreed with, so i think that process is completely solid? and tbh i don't actually think saying JC feels reserved compared to SF2 is inaccurate, JC was pretty commandeering in the thread at certain points whereas here i can kinda see him trying harder to be more like the glue keeping the thread together than spearheading the thread on his own

    feel like a lot of your other issues might be hornet-specific problems? i know he kind of has a problem with people scumreading his general demeanor regardless of alignment

    not right now, but at some point, can you skim one of his other champs games and see if you think there's a glaring difference there?
    I think JC has been super positive and buddy buddy, which is not something I really remember from his SF at all. It just feels so.... fake and forced.
    And you defintely aren't the first person to mention that Hornet is very hard to read to for players with no experience with him. So maybe i'll just take your word for it, because I am almost certainly not going back to read games.

    Therefore JC is mafia.
    I've highlighted your projected thinking red, and i've taken the liberty to add in your conclusion in blue.

    This is another example of you not explaining why being super positive is alignment indicative, nor where I am fake, where I am forced, and in what way that does something to give you the idea that I am a wolf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1234)
    I still think Greg is more town than not, and I think HF is being incredibly unfair in his reaction to Greg's reaction to his readslist
    I've highlighted your shade of HF red. You don't follow up what this means about Greg's alignment, nor what it says about HF's alignment. You call it unfair, move on with your day, then you just drop this reads list several posts later, simply plonking them in the middle right next to year other, never having considered the implications of the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1240)
    Updated Reads list in order. AMA

    Town:
    Vanity
    Wisdom
    Katze

    Town Leans:
    Thunal
    Alexa
    TSF
    HF
    Soneji
    Gorf


    Null Leaning Town
    Boq

    True Null
    Pilica

    Scum Leans
    Wiml
    Hornet
    JC


    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1275)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet (#1270)
    few questions abd a reply from skimming btw

    @Wiml why do i have enough content to lock v but not enough content to explain why you think im v?

    @Vandyfan402 explain exactly why my questions are going nowhere when i literally changed my jc read based off if questions
    akso, do inform ne how you expect a villa to solve without questions? because peoplez responses to my questions feed into my reads
    like oh, /any/ of the read lists i posted perhaps

    @Wisdom why is boq low poe, or has he moved up? i feel like i didnt see you answer that, and i still need to form a proper read theee

    @vanity. i admit i might have gotten a bit excited now ive had time to reflect on it - but at the time id just been talking to gorf & we both liked his reactions to pressure/his reas on katze
    I don't particularly like your flip on JC, and most of your questions don't seem like a question to learn anything[/COLOR]. #864. all you've done here is be like "reexplain this please." #855 asks Wiml why he changed a read, even though he explained it in the post your quoted.

    Therefore Hornet is a wolf.
    So this is the first time in the game that you've actually said why someone's behaviour that you label as negative actually indicates why they are a villager (green) to form a conclusion (blue). Red still exists where this does not happen once again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1324)
    I'd appreciate someone else engaging with my read. Because I'm not a huge fan of hornet's response to me. Screaming that what they did isn't wolfy. It isn't real solving. But anyway, I'm gonna go to bed.
    Hornet's response to you was a narrative telling of events because your read on him was a narrative telling of events. The stimulus determines the response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1334)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanity. (#1330)
    is vandy’s worldview that hornet/wiml/jc are all wolves or something? i guess that doesn’t sound completely ridiculous but he’s acting like wiml casing hornet changes nothing for him, and that just reeks of gross conf bias.
    I think there are very likely wolves in there. Is that the team, probably not, but like, there's scum there for sure. I'd love to see Wiml give me more casing of Hornet. That wasn't sarcasm. like, specific posts and why they are in Hornet's town meta.
    From my understanding, red is you putting forward a solve of myself, hornet, wiml. The problem is that you called Hornet a wolf for existing, you called wiml a wolf because ?, and your progression on me makes no sense and ignores your five top villagers telling you you are incorrect.

    Personally, given your conclusion (blue) is not supported by your reasoning (red - here and previously), it makes me concerned that you are unable to quantify why people are wolves.

    In retrospect, I also think "there is scum there for sure" is something you've added in superficially in case you flip, so that when the villagers who caught you by TMI last game go through your spew, they spuriously declare that this is also TMI.

    Au contraire, if Vandy flips wolf, wiml anl hornet are lock villagers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#148)
    I think Wiml is already less towny that he was in SF2
    This was your most substantive take on Wiml in terms of quality, yet he is in a 'must contain scum pile'.

    Below is a random collection of your (lack of) coherent progression on me. You went from 'I have concerns about JC' to 'JC is solving well' to 'JC is below null' to 'JC got townier' to 'JC is lamist' and you don't support any of these claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#345)
    So this is weird read, but I don't think JC has been very towny in tone, but I like his solving

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#649)
    I woke up late so I don’t really have time to play before work, but I was able on catch up to the thread. I think over night Katze, Gorf, and Wisdom got townier. Wiml stayed the same. Boq seems scummier. JC also got townier, but him writing a post about not locking anyone in, and then seconding Katzes I’m never voting on HF is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#743)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boquise (#740)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter (#735)
    Hello Soneji.

    ——

    It’s worth us trying to be mindful of the multiple different timezones we are all in that may only give us a few hours of cross over. EG, I’ve posted a bunch because I’ve had the entire day to do so, others haven’t done any solving because they’re just waking up, working, etc.

    Worth noting given it will be a much greater issue than semi finals where timezones were more closely aligned with schedules, and there will likely be an element of reduced live interaction.
    this is pocketing me smh
    Really? I’m popping in to say the exact opposite. It feels very LAMIST. It feels fake. “Golly gee guys, don’t forget to work with each other!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1157)
    My only issue with Thunal is that although she's been very tonally towny, her read on me sucks. It's like such a base level read from like 12 hours ago, and the fact that she's continuing to keep me at the VERY TOP of her town reads[/COLOR] is crazy to me.

    Therefore Thunal is suspicious[/COLOR]
    Another example of what you're projecting as solving not explaining the implied conclusion (blue), this time for Thunal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1159)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sun Fan (#1158)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfan402 (#1157)
    My only issue with Thunal is that although she's been very tonally towny, her read on me sucks. It's like such a base level read from like 12 hours ago, and the fact that she's continuing to keep me at the VERY TOP of her town reads is crazy to me.
    before I ISO'd you, I was doing the same thing almost exactly
    did it not bother you?
    But then you Iso'd me. And your read has more depth and meta behind it Thunal doesn't seem to have other reasons other than the bucket thing and tone (which I think people now know I can easily fake as mafia.) Therefore Thunal is mafia
    Grass is green. Why does red make you concerned about Thunal? My conclusion is that you're finding it incredibly difficult to ennunciate why people are wolves and you're just saying fallacious behaviours are a bad look. Your solve is there, but it isn't justified and you've been more than happy to shade people without projecting any progression of thought.

    In this example, I maintained principle 1, 2, and 5 (it was concise, had a introductory and finishing line, but it wasn't broken up using bold, colours and other means. This itself made the post not engaging.

    Understanding how to draw attention to the posts you are quoting and linking them to your point is one of the single most important points in this article. Use bold or colours and specifically talk about this. It encompasses being concise, clear, and reducing burden on the reader.

    The takeaway of this principle: Use bold for emphasis, colours for differentiation, italics for tonal shift (eg: I think versus I think), underline for emphasis, paragraphs for new points, and spoilers for excessive content.


    Principle 4 - Reduce reader burden by doing the thinking for the reader:

    The principle explained: I want you to think of your reader like a battery. Every time you make the reader use energy, their battery becomes more depleted. When their battery is low or empty, they won't work.

    If you force the thinker to connect all the dots, to make their own conclusions, they either won't, or they'll spend so much energy on doing it for your content that their solving is likely to decrease in quality.

    Will good villagers connect the dots for you? Yes. They may even improve upon your conclusions. That is idealistic, though. Most of the time it’s just better to provide your own interpretation as clearly as possible, and let them do the same. If everyone is vague, everyone is burdened. If everyone is clear about the argument they are putting forth, I think this is better.

    Basically: you have written a post, so connect the dots for the reader.

    A good example:

    To tie it all together, I have proposed above that a number of behaviours by LordQuas are wolfy, and here is why.

    1. LordQuas has no reason to never re-consider that Thingyman really is a villager here, when Thingyman is consistently and only lunching villagers. Only a wolf deals in absolutes.

    2. If LordQuas is refusing to reconsider on Thingyman, but is re-considering on Makaze, who has arguably done more for this town (via lunching wolves), this indicates that it is not just a lack of consideration as a global trait.

    3. So, if LordQuas is not re-considering for people that should be re-considered, and is re-considering for someone that should not re-considered, I propose this is because LordQuas has differing agenda on these two players.

    Put simply: LordQuas has a differing agenda for Thingyman and Makaze, indicating LordQuas is a wolf, and one of Thingyman and Makaze are not the same alignment.

    This is a good example, because it connects the dots for the reader. It reduces the burden on them to make all the conclusions. We can make this a bad example by not making these conclusions for the reader.

    A bad example:

    Above, I outlined that LordQuas is making wolfy posts. Here I will explain why.

    1) LordQuas town reads Thingyman. Why is that?

    2) LordQuas DID town-read Makaze, but now doesn't. What?

    3) If LordQuas is town-reading Thingyman, but not town-reading Makaze, I really don't know what to think.

    Put simply: I actually have no idea how LordQuas could possibly be town reading Thingyman and not Makaze here?

    The takeaway: As the producer of content, you have a point. Make it clear, fill in the blanks. This will help people to understand you. It will reduce burden on the reader.


    Principle 5 - Have a clear and concise conclusion:

    Explanation of principle: Regardless of content size, you are trying to convey a point. For those who have managed to read the entirety of your post, this is the last thing they will read.

    For those that haven’t read your entire post, this may be the only thing that they read. If your concluding sentence is weak, they are more likely to think that your content is weak and not worth listening to. Basically: have an honest yet also strong conclusion. Be clear and concise.

    A good example: "YOLOSWAG has charisma, is calm under pressure, and has consideration of his surroundings.

    Thus, YOLOSWAG is the most swag person in the game.


    A bad example: "See what all this says about YOLOSWAG??"

    The takeaway: if the last thing you write is not clear and confident, why listen? If you could say one thing to convince someone, this is it. Be clear and concise.


    What does a good wall look like?

    This section will be a brief explanation on how to construct walls for maximum engagement. You are welcome to disagree that a wall will ever be helpful elsewhere. Whilst you can adhere to the above principles and produce very good walls (should you choose to write one), it is very important that the structure of walls is impeccable.

    As outlined above, your reader is a battery. If you produce a bad wall at a glance, you deplete their battery, and they don't read it. Here are some ideas for producing a good wall.

    Break into sections:


    Sections give the reader signs of where they are in your story. It is like a chapter. Or a road sign. Imagine boating from Hawaii to Australia and not knowing where you are? The burden!

    Here are some example sections:
    > Early game, mid-game, late-game.
    > Treatment of villagers, treatment of wolves, treatment of me
    > Vote patterns, behavioral patterns, do vote and behavioral patterns align?
    > The gamestate, dead wolf spew, LordQuas is being pro-wolf.
    > Pocketing villagers, ignoring wolves, pushing agenda, tactical ignorance

    The list goes on. You can have more than 3 sections. The sections don't necessarily have to be connected if you are describing a collection of multiple wolfy behaviors (see last example).

    The most important thing is that you give your reader a roadmap, via sections.


    Arguing your point with examples:

    Any argument needs evidence. In addition to adhering to the above principles (being concise, aesthetics), you should consider a few simple steps to make your presentation of evidence stronger.

    When giving examples:
    1) Quotes are better than post numbers (p#1), because it reduces reader burden (having to click to go check what you are saying).

    2) For a single point (EG: "LordQuas TMIs villagers"), quote only three examples of this (in addition to bolding relevant parts).
    >>> Quoting 20 examples is not helpful and increases reader burden.

    3) If you do have 20 examples, you can produce a comprehensive list if you want.
    >>> Do this by providing a spoiler with the examples.

    >>>Here is where post number links (p#1) are alright to use.

    >>> A very brief explanation of each p# will reduce reader burden for those choosing to look at each example.

    Example of extra evidence:

    There are many more examples other than the ones I posted above.
    p#1 - same pattern of behaviour on Thingyman
    p#2 - slightly different approach, but the tone here is wolfy.
    p#3 - this makes no sense to read Makaze as a villager here, as per above


    Metaphors can work in certain circumstances:

    I wouldn’t always recommend metaphors unless you’ve decided to write a long wall, otherwise you risk disengaging people for throwing around superfluous language. However, they absolutely can work in any post under certain circumstances, so I’ll outline what a good metaphor may look like below.

    A metaphor can help people understand the argument that you are putting forth. If you choose to use a metaphor to illustrate your substantiated points, here are some pointers:

    - Keep it simple.
    - Keep it short.
    - If you feel like you are reaching to apply the metaphor, don’t apply it.
    - Metaphors are more effective in longer posts because it acts as a reminder to your long argument. If you follow 1-3, they can work in short posts though.

    In this article, you will note that I have utilized a metaphor of “treat a player like a depleting battery”, which ticks all four of the above, making it effective in illustrating my point. Some common examples I've seen in the past (in a game of mafia) include things such as: used car salesman energy and boxed out wolf.

    This section is the least important and not one I would always recommend, however, it can be effective if you follow the 4 pointers outlined above.

    If in doubt, refer to the ‘sections’ part of this article to break your arguments into common themes instead of metaphors.


    Do not underestimate pictures:

    Pictures can illustrate your point in a visual way. There will probably never be a substitute for pictures compared to the verbal evidence you provide, so pictures will be supplements.

    There is no cookie cutter for this one. Pictures can be off-putting, and should be used with discretion. Here are some general do not's:

    1) Don't use more than 5 pictures in a single post, barring exceptional circumstances or a special picture case.
    2) Don't make your pictures too big such that it fills the entire screen.
    3) Do not make your pictures confusing such that the reader needs to ask why you have included it.

    A good rule of thumb: It may be a good idea to include a picture if you want to emphasize what you want your reader to think.

    Here is an example:

    To conclude, LordQuas has tried to shove Makaze into a hole that doesn't reflect what Makaze has actually done:



    Test Yourself Right Now! (5 minute task)


    Task: Take content (provided) and make it more readable.
    Rationale: Practice for the next game where you preview your post, and realize it is not engaging.
    Estimated time: 5 minutes.
    How do I check whether it is better? I have produced an example (below) of how I would improve it. You can also post it in the thread to see if others think the same - maybe it is better than mine!



    Make this post more engaging for your audience:

    What has Jon Paul done this game anyway? I remember they pushed town but that's it. I don't get it at all. And their votes are confusing. Weird even. Like what

    Oh here are some quotes I found
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Michelle is obvious wolf and I am obvious town and you are all $%#! at the town alignment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you. Go away though Lissa, you are pushing bad things. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Vote: Boquise
    What are you going to do Boquise? Nothing because you are caught and caught people can't do anything. Don't even try to town case yourself because it will obviously be a wolf just grasping for straws.
    In the first one it seems wolfy because I don't think they thought about Michelle really. Hmm.
    And the second one is clearly a pocket.
    Third one is wolfy.

    see what I mean?


    Cool. Did you find that engaging? I didn't. You could argue that it could be towny because it's stream of conscious-y, if you really wanted! But that isn't the topic of this article. Let's try to make it more engaging for the point you’re trying to argue. In that case, it is that you are suspect if someone. I encourage you to give it a go before opening the below spoiler:

    Improving the above content:
    Last chance:


    I've done an ISO of Jon Paul - I think they have shown wolf agenda in a wolfy way. I was also thinking in a more general way that all they've done is push villagers. If you check their votes in p#1 p#2 and p#3, they are all without explanation too. Please peruse the below quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Michelle is obvious wolf and I am obvious town and you are all $%#! at the town alignment
    Jon Paul accompanied a statement that Michelle was an obvious wolf (which he was alone in thinking) by saying that he was an obvious town (blue) indicates TMI. Also: he wanted to look good from the Michelle flip, that he knew would flip wolf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you. Go away though Lissa, you are pushing bad things. LOL!
    Treating smartbomb and lissa completely differently, even though they have essentially done the same thing. Red looks like a pocket attempt, and blue looks like trying to get Lissa to be quiet instead of pushing.. More wolf agenda here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Vote: Boquise
    What are you going to do Boquise? Nothing because you are caught and caught people can't do anything. Don't even try to town case yourself because it will obviously be a wolf just grasping for straws.
    Not giving Boquise a chance to defend himself (bolded) looks like he doesn’t want to give someone who could be a villager a chance to clear themselves. That is wolf indicative.




    To conclude, the differential treatment of some players, and 'getting in front' of the Michelle flip to look good indicates wolf agenda to me. I think we should lunch Jon Paul.





    Cliff Notes

    - If you are reading one principle in its entirety for improving any type of content, read principle 3.
    - Hook in your reader with a confident first sentence.
    - Be concise, even in long posts. Do this by using fewer words per relevant point.
    - Vary how you present content: use bold, italics, underline, paragraphs, bigger font size, spoilers.
    - Don't make the reader think for you: explain your point so you don't drain their energy.
    - Conclude points and posts by summarizing key points, in less than two sentences.
    - Break your walls into clear sections.
    - In longer posts, don't give more than three quote examples for a specific point; spoiler and use the post link function (p#1) for more examples.
    - Consider using pictures sparingly, to illustrate your greater point.

    A final note:
    Not everyone is the same. Some people cannot look at pictures. Some people hate bolded text. Some people can’t read italics. Some people have an aversion to any long post, regardless of how it looks. That is totally fine and the nature of any diverse game. The beauty of these principles is that you can work around any of these possibilities. You are in a team, so work with them to get what your teammates need, and reduce the burden on them.


    Should you follow these principles, you should now have just made one step further towards helping people understand what you want them to understand. I encourage sharing any further principles you may have discovered.

  2. ISO #2
    Season 8 Champze katze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    dormant
    Posts
    16,856
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    FoL
    AKA
    TZE
    Pronouns
    any
    @c4e5g3d5 just got robbed lmao

    tbh tho this article (and c4s version of it, which is linked here) are probably going to be super useful for me in the future and i appreciate them existing, especially because i think you two are two of the first names i'd name if someone asked me "who makes engaging wallposts" (cmon, the car post in SF2 was iconic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia University (#1)
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you.
    also how could i not love an article that says this

    nya uwu @SmartBomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#2181)
    ...meow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#10803)
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

    In first place and winning the Mafia Championship with 99 points is...







    @katze (Throne of Lies)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal (#174)
    tl;dr: kat called my $%#! small, I townread it
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#8516)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justplayingitcool (#8515)
    The reality is that when you've soft defended half the wolf team, and tried to kill who I perceive as villagers, it's impossible for me to ever take that slot out of the PoE, or even trust them. I feel like they tried to open the PoE by bringing C4 back into the spotlight.
    hey put respect on my name

    i also hard defended the other half of the wolfteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Hally (#39)
    what if kat is vt

    would she throw like this
    Quote Originally Posted by neopest (#1)
    Today we celebrate the life, career, piety, and knowledge of Katze. The one who exposed the world to this truth and gave meaning to life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Transcend (#217)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transcend (#160)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#42)
    ##Vote Sleep

    im tired and feel like staying in bed

    also we don’t have enough info to execute someone d1 or something
    This immediately pings me a bit. Partially because i know it's not smart but also seems like he doesn't wanna step on toes so early.
    Yo katze

    I feel like this might have been a joke post

    But also i feel like there's some truth behind every joke and I just got pinged by this

    So can you tell me the rationale behind this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#738)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiml (#736)
    How confident are you feeling on your kat SR? I'm still only seeing it.
    Like 100% she's either wolf or pr
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#587)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#586)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#584)
    katze is trying to discredit me without even asking why i think she's wolfy LMAO
    im discrediting you because i near-constantly watch you tunnel villagers every game you play

    i don't really care why you wolfread me
    I think my ratio of being right to wrong is actually close to as good as yours, it's just when i'm wrong i'm a lot louder about it

    also you are either a wolf or a PR, nowhere in between
    There's no inquisitiveness in your posts at all
    you are posting to placate rather than to hunt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Host (#762)
    Champs Practice Game 2: (Not So) Classic Movies Night 1 Results

    Marluxion has died. They were: Town.

    Night 1 has ended.

    Night 1 ended at 5:00 PM EDT on Sunday, May 2nd, 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Host (#2141)
    katze (Vanilla Town)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiml (#2143)
    Wait kat was VT? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#714)
    Katze is uwu
    Quote Originally Posted by illario (#2944)
    Pretty sure Katze is just an innocent memer gamer girl who likes to joke around and play seriously as well and genuinely gets upset when her jokes are taken seriously and her seriousness is taken as jokes

    And if she’s maf then she’s just a borderline sociopath memer girl whose jokes are just lies and her seriousness are just lies and everything about her is a lie and if she flips maf this game and I see her say anything remotely scummy in a future game I’m just gonna death tunnel her to the ends of the earth regardless of how genuine her posts may feel
    Quote Originally Posted by AYAYA (#6543)
    signing my posts makes me feel subhuman

    - chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33 (#238)
    you're not a reliable source of redcheck yet
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella
    i looked away for five minutes and katze faked a red?
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#5)
    Why are you doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#11644)
    katze how the hell do you have 225 posts in a dead end phase
    Quote Originally Posted by vanity. (#8832)
    ok katze is trolling me lmao

    i feel your pain chloe.

  3. ISO #3
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#2)
    tbh tho this article (and c4s version of it, which is linked here) are probably going to be super useful for me in the future and i appreciate them existing, especially because i think you two are two of the first names i'd name if someone asked me "who makes engaging wallposts" (cmon, the car post in SF2 was iconic)
    Wait what
    Last edited by c4e5g3d5; March 16th, 2022 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  4. ISO #4
    Season 8 Champze katze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    dormant
    Posts
    16,856
    Timezone
    UTC-04:00
    Community
    FoL
    AKA
    TZE
    Pronouns
    any
    Quote Originally Posted by c4e5g3d5 (#3)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#2)
    tbh tho this article (and c4s version of it, which is linked here) are probably going to be super useful for me in the future and i appreciate them existing, especially because i think you two are two of the first names i'd name if someone asked me "who makes engaging wallposts" (cmon, the car post in SF2 was iconic)
    Wait what
    (moreso JC but im also used to Not Engaging Wallposts ala @Arete)

    (maybe im biased because half the walls i read from you are from postgames where you talk about things and they interest me enough to read them)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#2181)
    ...meow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa (#10803)
    REVEAL (PART SEVEN)

    In first place and winning the Mafia Championship with 99 points is...







    @katze (Throne of Lies)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal (#174)
    tl;dr: kat called my $%#! small, I townread it
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#8516)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justplayingitcool (#8515)
    The reality is that when you've soft defended half the wolf team, and tried to kill who I perceive as villagers, it's impossible for me to ever take that slot out of the PoE, or even trust them. I feel like they tried to open the PoE by bringing C4 back into the spotlight.
    hey put respect on my name

    i also hard defended the other half of the wolfteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Hally (#39)
    what if kat is vt

    would she throw like this
    Quote Originally Posted by neopest (#1)
    Today we celebrate the life, career, piety, and knowledge of Katze. The one who exposed the world to this truth and gave meaning to life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Transcend (#217)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transcend (#160)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#42)
    ##Vote Sleep

    im tired and feel like staying in bed

    also we don’t have enough info to execute someone d1 or something
    This immediately pings me a bit. Partially because i know it's not smart but also seems like he doesn't wanna step on toes so early.
    Yo katze

    I feel like this might have been a joke post

    But also i feel like there's some truth behind every joke and I just got pinged by this

    So can you tell me the rationale behind this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#738)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiml (#736)
    How confident are you feeling on your kat SR? I'm still only seeing it.
    Like 100% she's either wolf or pr
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#587)
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#586)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#584)
    katze is trying to discredit me without even asking why i think she's wolfy LMAO
    im discrediting you because i near-constantly watch you tunnel villagers every game you play

    i don't really care why you wolfread me
    I think my ratio of being right to wrong is actually close to as good as yours, it's just when i'm wrong i'm a lot louder about it

    also you are either a wolf or a PR, nowhere in between
    There's no inquisitiveness in your posts at all
    you are posting to placate rather than to hunt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Host (#762)
    Champs Practice Game 2: (Not So) Classic Movies Night 1 Results

    Marluxion has died. They were: Town.

    Night 1 has ended.

    Night 1 ended at 5:00 PM EDT on Sunday, May 2nd, 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Host (#2141)
    katze (Vanilla Town)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiml (#2143)
    Wait kat was VT? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#714)
    Katze is uwu
    Quote Originally Posted by illario (#2944)
    Pretty sure Katze is just an innocent memer gamer girl who likes to joke around and play seriously as well and genuinely gets upset when her jokes are taken seriously and her seriousness is taken as jokes

    And if she’s maf then she’s just a borderline sociopath memer girl whose jokes are just lies and her seriousness are just lies and everything about her is a lie and if she flips maf this game and I see her say anything remotely scummy in a future game I’m just gonna death tunnel her to the ends of the earth regardless of how genuine her posts may feel
    Quote Originally Posted by AYAYA (#6543)
    signing my posts makes me feel subhuman

    - chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33 (#238)
    you're not a reliable source of redcheck yet
    Quote Originally Posted by nutella
    i looked away for five minutes and katze faked a red?
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaze (#5)
    Why are you doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos (#11644)
    katze how the hell do you have 225 posts in a dead end phase
    Quote Originally Posted by vanity. (#8832)
    ok katze is trolling me lmao

    i feel your pain chloe.

  5. ISO #5
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    My attempt

    If I were doing this in a game I'd do it in multiple posts just for how disjointed the thoughts are so hopefully it's not cheating

    Everyone, without rereading, name one thing JP's done to influence the game that hasn't been pushing town.

    And so many of those town pushes just don't make sense.
    And also a ton of just plain bad posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Michelle is obvious wolf and I am obvious town and you are all $%#! at the town alignment
    I mean even ignoring Michelle being obvious town, this is way over the top over too little and the underlined is TMIey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you. Go away though Lissa, you are pushing bad things. LOL!
    Blatantly pockety if serious and a super awkward joke if a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    ##Vote Vote: Boquise
    What are you going to do Boquise? Nothing because you are caught and caught people can't do anything. Don't even try to town case yourself because it will obviously be a wolf just grasping for straws.
    Who talks to a wolf read like this? Ever? There's never any point in acting like you're gonna have a real conversation with them to this degree.

    It's all so fake I don't get why I'm even explaining this. JP is a wolf and dies today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  6. ISO #6
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#4)
    (maybe im biased because half the walls i read from you are from postgames where you talk about things and they interest me enough to read them)
    Lol that makes more sense

    I was thinking "literally when has kat seen me write a wall in a game"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  7. ISO #7
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    Quote Originally Posted by c4e5g3d5 (#5)
    My attempt

    If I were doing this in a game I'd do it in multiple posts just for how disjointed the thoughts are so hopefully it's not cheating

    Everyone, without rereading, name one thing JP's done to influence the game that hasn't been pushing town.

    And so many of those town pushes just don't make sense.
    And also a ton of just plain bad posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    Michelle is obvious wolf and I am obvious town and you are all $%#! at the town alignment
    I mean even ignoring Michelle being obvious town, this is way over the top over too little and the underlined is TMIey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you. Go away though Lissa, you are pushing bad things. LOL!
    Blatantly pockety if serious and a super awkward joke if a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
    ##Vote Vote: Boquise
    What are you going to do Boquise? Nothing because you are caught and caught people can't do anything. Don't even try to town case yourself because it will obviously be a wolf just grasping for straws.
    Who talks to a wolf read like this? Ever? There's never any point in acting like you're gonna have a real conversation with them to this degree.

    It's all so fake I don't get why I'm even explaining this. JP is a wolf and dies today.
    If I had to do it in one post I'd just do these two combined with four indents in between
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  8. ISO #8
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    And maybe four indents before that last line too
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  9. ISO #9
    Thread Analyst Disquieted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    469
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    AKA
    smartbomb
    Pronouns
    any
    Quote Originally Posted by katze (#2)
    @c4e5g3d5 just got robbed lmao

    tbh tho this article (and c4s version of it, which is linked here) are probably going to be super useful for me in the future and i appreciate them existing, especially because i think you two are two of the first names i'd name if someone asked me "who makes engaging wallposts" (cmon, the car post in SF2 was iconic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mafia University (#1)
    That is right smartbomb, please be my friend nya uwu. You are so cool and amazing and I love you.
    also how could i not love an article that says this

    nya uwu @SmartBomb
    it's so bad at the pocketing alignment

  10. ISO #10
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    I think if you follow these steps you're gonna write a great post and you should absolutely try it out if you're struggling to make people read your posts

    I also think the whole sections thing is a little overplayed. The post I was gonna use for an example good wall in my article was Apoc's Dendrek case and that one barely sectioned anything and was still thoroughly readable and skimmable and long as hell. All it does is say "Dendrek lock wolf" in no uncertain terms at the start and an extra "Dendrek is a wolf" at the end for emphasis, as far as labelling is concerned.
    (Apoc's Dendrek case for reference)

    I also think that, at a certain point, over-labelling your post actually makes it harder to read, because you have to break out of the flow of reading the body to read the big bolded headers so often. It can encourage people to only read the bullet points. What I feel when I read Apoc's post is that I want to read the whole thing, because I'm getting a good amount of info from skimming, but I'm getting just as much by actually reading every word.

    Just to keep in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  11. ISO #11
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    Tbh

    I agree with and disagree with some small things here
    But 90% of which tips you should use is personality dependent
    As long as you follow principles 2-4 at the bare minimum IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  12. ISO #12
    Galaxy Brain JohnCarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20,782
    Community
    Neoseeker
    AKA
    Carlos
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    Thanks Nutella!

    Yeah C4, Apoc’s dendrek case was a highlight back in the drama of that game, and I loved it too. Amazing dunk.

    From my POV, he did a great job of varying how things were presented so it didn’t all look the same (colours, bold, font size, horizontal lines). And there were some implied sections there.

    His conclusion was super strong too and he was explaining what everything meant rather than “um maybe?”.

    But absolutely more than one way to deliver what you need despite many common elements.

  13. ISO #13
    GOAT Tier c4e5g3d5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    12,624
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    :/
    Yeah Apoc's case was literally the inspiration for the "monotony is the enemy" section I did lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmo (#848)
    Wht is play by discovery. Lol you discover if the person you flip each day is scum or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by staypositivefriend (#8254)
    i'm gonna go on a walk and i'm gonna buy chicken nuggets. $%#! it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8282)
    Where did the good vibes go
    Quote Originally Posted by Marluxion (#8284)
    Scum literally nightkilled the good vibes
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#764)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofhearts2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunal33
    Best dog name: c4e5g3d5
    You are not allowed to own a dog.

  14. ISO #14
    Low Hanging Fruit LordQuas's Avatar Game Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    21,561
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Gender
    what a cromulent post
    :wiwe

  15. ISO #15
    Alternatively, never use walls

  16. ISO #16
    Wielder of the Triforce Wisdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    21,907
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself
    Gender
    Yay a wall I could actually read through without my battery depleting!!!(:

    I'm definitely guilty of doing suboptimal walls in the past. Time to learn!
    Wisp: how are u a god and unable to read at the same time


    PunchyTheCat: WHAT TEH ACTUAL $%#!ING WHAT THE ACTUAL WHAT WHO LET THIS HAPPEN WHY WISDOM WAS SOOOO TOWNY WTF

    Chloe: I'm never trusting you again Wisdom

  17. ISO #17
    mindmelding with an image of a brick Twice Shrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    12,874
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    AKA
    Twice
    $%#!posters unite

  18. ISO #18
    Galaxy Brain Creature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lands of Fire
    Posts
    42,794
    Timezone
    UTC-03:00
    Community
    Everybody Edits → mafiascum → Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Other names users might know you by
    Gender
    Not again

  19. ISO #19
    pfft pfft pfft moth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Tree
    Posts
    14,822
    Community
    the sock drawer
    AKA
    brainbomb
    Pronouns
    moth
    Gender
    solid stuff here. Certainly makes me think that how one arrives at the point and what the point is, and how someone drags out and presents the how of it all come together as a production and a sale.

    Good stuff.
    Originally Posted by 9yees on January 14, 2019, 12:03:48 PM (#214)
    This is shaping up to be a weird game. We got the clergy, moth cosplaying as a nervous teenager, and a guy who compulsively showers ever 4 post.

  20. ISO #20
    Soul Reader MendesHotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    ur moms house
    Posts
    1,758
    Community
    Mafia Mystery
    AKA
    Mendes
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Gender
    I really needed this as someone who really only walls when I have a strong read on something! I'll try to apply these asap

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  •  

Keyboard Shortcuts

about us
Mafia Universe is a community hub for people who enjoy playing the forum variant of Mafia (also known as Werewolf). We offer fully automated Mafia games and a wide variety of customized features crafted to optimize your game experience. We also proudly host the Internet's only database of Mafia/Werewolf communities.

We hope you stick around!
Role of the Day
Steadfast Townie

The Steadfast Townie will kill anyone attempting to convert them at night. The Steadfast Townie can maximum kill 2 people with their ability, after which they will lose it.