Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VGM Knock-Out Tournament

1. ISO #151
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Over the Universe ~~ Damn, I think these are two of my favorite tracks in the Phantasy Star mix so far. Tough call.

A Plague Tale: Innocence

2. ISO #152

3. ISO #153
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Xeno Crisis

4. ISO #154
    Universe???
    Plague

Jesus Christ, on CAOCITAL, Kobayashi really went sicko mode, insaneo style. Nothing else to it. Don't miss the second phase of the song which doesn't really flow well enough to make a dual-phase mix

I don't remember if I've said any other PS songs had the best intro in the series, but if I did, I was a $%#!ing liar. God what is today why did I allow this to happen

5. ISO #155
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    We have two ties, but I don't see a point in waiting around while there are only 4 of us showing up regularly. The random.org quarters came back heads for Phantasy Star and tails for 2019. Over the Universe (2-2) and Xeno Crisis (2-2) advance!

Round 1, Fight 24 // Best of Phantasy Star

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yggdrasil from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Windows, 2012)

vs.

Song of Mourning ~ Eternal Wind from Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
    by SEGA (Windows, 2021)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 8 // Best of 2019

Death Stranding by Ludvig Forssell
    Sample tracks: Once, There Was an Explosion, BB's Theme, Cargo High, Strands, Alone We Have No Future

vs.

Baba Is You by Arvi Teikari
    Sample tracks: Cog Is Push (Solitary Isle), Baba Is You, Water Is Sink (The Lake), Lava Is Hot (Cavern), Fruit On Grass (Garden)

6. ISO #156

7. ISO #157
    Song of Mourning
    Baba

I ran a similar bracket to this a couple of years ago. This was the champion. In the other contest I'd mentioned, this was the first song to make it in the field this year. I look forward to seeing the success that this masterpiece of digital fusion will enjoy here

...or I would if it weren't against Song of Mourning (new upload btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE8-FVSMOQE). This song hits WAY harder than it has any right to. I already loved Horita, obviously, but I have so much more respect for him that he managed to pull this off. He integrated his quirks into the song in ways I never would've expected to work, particularly magical moments like 1:36 and 2:55 and the bells and choirs scattered throughout the song. It has a very poignant and soulful presentation in general. The part that stands out to me the most upon my many relistens as I grew to love it more and more it how it's both gentle and forceful. The drums are simple but constantly push the song forward and give power to the mourning, which helps drive home the theme of never giving up which would be a bit tired otherwise. God I can't rant about every aspect so I'll just end by saying the lyrics are also surprisingly really good too. I hope this wins perhaps more than any other because it's one of those songs that just gets better given repeat exposures

8. ISO #158
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba Is You

9. ISO #159
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Yggdrasil

Baba Is You

10. ISO #160
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Yggdrasil (3-1) and Baba is You (4-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 25 // Best of Phantasy Star

Endeavour from Idola: Phantasy Star Saga
    by Kenichi Tokoi (Android, 2018)

vs.

Seashore Probe ~ Wopal (Battle) from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2012)

Quarterfinals, Fight 1 // Best of 2019

Metro Exodus by Alexei Omelchuk
    Sample tracks: In the House in a Heartbeat, Race Against Fate, Between Life and Death, Dawn of Hope, Yamantau Cannibals

vs.

Baba Is You by Arvi Teikari
    Sample tracks: Cog Is Push (Solitary Isle), Baba Is You, Water Is Sink (The Lake), Lava Is Hot (Cavern), Fruit On Grass (Garden)
    Last edited by Shad; August 10th, 2022 at 08:31 PM.

11. ISO #161
    Seashore Probe ~ Wopal (Battle)

Baba Is You

12. ISO #162
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba

13. ISO #163
    Endeavour
    Baba

There aren't many pop songs I like, unless they have very specific I guess R&B vibes to them. I either hate them or they're like a 10/10. This is the latter. Somehow those horribly cheesy lyrics hit. I sometimes tear up at "Bring upon us a new tomorrow" and nothing about that stanza justifies that reaction at all. A lot of it is probably appreciation of the nuance between the relentless main vocals and the understated but not boring or deprived piano and violin during the calmer sections, and how the rhythm of the chorus complements the theme. Or maybe not, it's hard to say what's good about songs like this. For another random pop song that's inexplicably good,

ya like jazz?

14. ISO #164
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Endeavor ~~ this is pretty unique

Baba Is You

15. ISO #165
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Endeavor (3-1) and Baba is You (4-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 26 // Best of Phantasy Star

Lizard Sanctuary Probe ~ Amduskia (Battle) from Phantasy Star Online
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2012)

vs.

IDOLA the Fanatic Viper from Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2003)

Quarterfinals, Fight 2 // Best of 2019

Tales from Toppletown by Twinkle Park & Dustin van Wyk
    Sample tracks: Cosmo's House, Topple Tango, Topple Hop, Quiet Woodlands, Lovely Topple

vs.

Katana Zero by Thijs Lodewijk & Bill Kiley
    Sample tracks: Hit the Floor, Breath of a Serpent, All For Now, Sneaky Driver, Rain on Brick

16. ISO #166
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Toppletown

Honourable mention: Sneaky Driver from Katana Zero.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234