Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VGM Knock-Out Tournament

1. ISO #151
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Over the Universe ~~ Damn, I think these are two of my favorite tracks in the Phantasy Star mix so far. Tough call.

A Plague Tale: Innocence

2. ISO #152

3. ISO #153
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Xeno Crisis

4. ISO #154
    Universe???
    Plague

Jesus Christ, on CAOCITAL, Kobayashi really went sicko mode, insaneo style. Nothing else to it. Don't miss the second phase of the song which doesn't really flow well enough to make a dual-phase mix

I don't remember if I've said any other PS songs had the best intro in the series, but if I did, I was a $%#!ing liar. God what is today why did I allow this to happen

5. ISO #155
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    We have two ties, but I don't see a point in waiting around while there are only 4 of us showing up regularly. The random.org quarters came back heads for Phantasy Star and tails for 2019. Over the Universe (2-2) and Xeno Crisis (2-2) advance!

Round 1, Fight 24 // Best of Phantasy Star

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yggdrasil from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Windows, 2012)

vs.

Song of Mourning ~ Eternal Wind from Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
    by SEGA (Windows, 2021)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 8 // Best of 2019

Death Stranding by Ludvig Forssell
    Sample tracks: Once, There Was an Explosion, BB's Theme, Cargo High, Strands, Alone We Have No Future

vs.

Baba Is You by Arvi Teikari
    Sample tracks: Cog Is Push (Solitary Isle), Baba Is You, Water Is Sink (The Lake), Lava Is Hot (Cavern), Fruit On Grass (Garden)

6. ISO #156

7. ISO #157
    Song of Mourning
    Baba

I ran a similar bracket to this a couple of years ago. This was the champion. In the other contest I'd mentioned, this was the first song to make it in the field this year. I look forward to seeing the success that this masterpiece of digital fusion will enjoy here

...or I would if it weren't against Song of Mourning (new upload btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE8-FVSMOQE). This song hits WAY harder than it has any right to. I already loved Horita, obviously, but I have so much more respect for him that he managed to pull this off. He integrated his quirks into the song in ways I never would've expected to work, particularly magical moments like 1:36 and 2:55 and the bells and choirs scattered throughout the song. It has a very poignant and soulful presentation in general. The part that stands out to me the most upon my many relistens as I grew to love it more and more it how it's both gentle and forceful. The drums are simple but constantly push the song forward and give power to the mourning, which helps drive home the theme of never giving up which would be a bit tired otherwise. God I can't rant about every aspect so I'll just end by saying the lyrics are also surprisingly really good too. I hope this wins perhaps more than any other because it's one of those songs that just gets better given repeat exposures

8. ISO #158
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba Is You

9. ISO #159
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Yggdrasil

Baba Is You

10. ISO #160
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Yggdrasil (3-1) and Baba is You (4-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 25 // Best of Phantasy Star

Endeavour from Idola: Phantasy Star Saga
    by Kenichi Tokoi (Android, 2018)

vs.

Seashore Probe ~ Wopal (Battle) from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2012)

Quarterfinals, Fight 1 // Best of 2019

Metro Exodus by Alexei Omelchuk
    Sample tracks: In the House in a Heartbeat, Race Against Fate, Between Life and Death, Dawn of Hope, Yamantau Cannibals

vs.

Sample tracks: Cog Is Push (Solitary Isle), Baba Is You, Water Is Sink (The Lake), Lava Is Hot (Cavern), Fruit On Grass (Garden)
    Last edited by Shad; August 10th, 2022 at 08:31 PM.

11. ISO #161
    Seashore Probe ~ Wopal (Battle)

Baba Is You

12. ISO #162
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba

13. ISO #163
    Endeavour
    Baba

There aren't many pop songs I like, unless they have very specific I guess R&B vibes to them. I either hate them or they're like a 10/10. This is the latter. Somehow those horribly cheesy lyrics hit. I sometimes tear up at "Bring upon us a new tomorrow" and nothing about that stanza justifies that reaction at all. A lot of it is probably appreciation of the nuance between the relentless main vocals and the understated but not boring or deprived piano and violin during the calmer sections, and how the rhythm of the chorus complements the theme. Or maybe not, it's hard to say what's good about songs like this. For another random pop song that's inexplicably good,

ya like jazz?

14. ISO #164
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Endeavor ~~ this is pretty unique

Baba Is You

15. ISO #165
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Endeavor (3-1) and Baba is You (4-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 26 // Best of Phantasy Star

Lizard Sanctuary Probe ~ Amduskia (Battle) from Phantasy Star Online

vs.

IDOLA the Fanatic Viper from Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2003)

Quarterfinals, Fight 2 // Best of 2019

Tales from Toppletown by Twinkle Park & Dustin van Wyk
    Sample tracks: Cosmo's House, Topple Tango, Topple Hop, Quiet Woodlands, Lovely Topple

vs.

Katana Zero by Thijs Lodewijk & Bill Kiley
    Sample tracks: Hit the Floor, Breath of a Serpent, All For Now, Sneaky Driver, Rain on Brick

16. ISO #166
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Toppletown

Honourable mention: Sneaky Driver from Katana Zero.

17. ISO #167
    Lizard
    Katana

I can't get enough of that effect at the beginning. It's like when you're at a optometrist's and you use the machine that defocuses and refocuses an image... but like, good. A lot of the dynamic tracks... aren't, so I love how this always feels like it's moving somewhere, instead of endlessly varying the same kind of mood. It's always evolving into different very cool soundscapes, with a synth instrumentation that doesn't actually appear too much in the soundtrack yet somehow feels like the core of PSO2 sound.

Honestly, aside from the Skyscape songs and some from PSP2, that aforementioned sound probably appears most strongly in CARD and here. We've heard a lot of Idola songs at this point, and I'm realizing how different they are between games, even just between PSO Episodes 1 and 2. Like Lizard Battle, this also doesn't rest and mixes things up pretty often, which makes it feel pretty chaotic with kind of a majesty that belies the tension. I could never really get a grip on how this one makes me feel; I usually just enjoy it for what it is. Cracked match

18. ISO #168

19. ISO #169
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    IDOLA the Fanatic Viper

Tales from Toppletown

20. ISO #170
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Tails wins the toss! IDOLA the Fanatic Viper (3-1) and Katana Zero (2-2) advance!

Round 1, Fight 27 // Best of Phantasy Star

DYREINA from Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Switch, 2018)

vs.

Rise or Fall from Phantasy Star II
    by Tokuhiko Uwabo (SMD, 1989)

Quarterfinals, Fight 3 // Best of 2019

The Outer Worlds by Justin E. Bell
    Sample tracks: Hope (Title Theme), Hope, Forever, Shady Corporate Town..., Edgewater, Elevator Hope

vs.

Xeno Crisis by Savaged Regime
    Sample tracks: Area 7 - HQ, Area 2 - Facility (Trayus), Area 4 - Nest, Area 3 - Dunes, Area 5 - Forest

21. ISO #171
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    The advertisement I got clicking one of those Phantasy Star links transcends sound:

22. ISO #172
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Xeno Crisis

23. ISO #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#171)
    The advertisement I got clicking one of those Phantasy Star links transcends sound
    Yikes! I'm getting ads to enroll in high school...at my old high school...which I graduated from 20+ years ago and never want to go back to. Both weird nightmare fuel.

Rise or Fall

Xeno Crisis

24. ISO #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad (#171)
    The advertisement I got clicking one of those Phantasy Star links transcends sound:

this was a nightmare

25. ISO #175
    DYREINA
    Xeno

Dyreina doesn't fit in with the other de facto IDOLA songs, nor does it fit with its context. I'm not sure either the vocalists fit with each other or if they fit with the song. It's a big fat discontinuity, but idk, I guess that fits with the tone of the song because it all kinda works.

fun

help i cant stop thinking about peepy

26. ISO #176
    Community
    FFShrine
    Rise or Fall

The Outer Worlds
    This was so hard. Xeno Crisis is so intense, but TOW deserves at least 1 vote.

27. ISO #177
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    DYREINA

The Outer Worlds

28. ISO #178
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Rise or Fall (3-2) and Xeno Crisis (3-2) advance!

Round 1, Fight 28 // Best of Phantasy Star

DINATIS Q VECIS from Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
    by Hidekuni Horita (Switch, 2018)

vs.

Confronter from Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2014)

Quarterfinals, Fight 4 // Best of 2019

Little Town Hero by Toby Fox & Hitomi Sato
    Sample tracks: This is My Town, Village Clash, Little Town Hero, Win by a Hair, End the Story!

vs.

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers by Masayoshi Soken
    Sample tracks: Shadowbringers Main Theme, Holminster Switch (To Fire and Sword), Titania Theme (What Angel Wakes Me), Shadowbringers Boss Theme (Insatiable), Final Omega's Theme (From the Heavens)

29. ISO #179

30. ISO #180
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Shadowbringers

31. ISO #181
    DINATIS Q VECIS

This song is doing so much. Like it feels like a relatively standard actiony boss theme and then I try to focus on it and realize how much stuff it's squeezing together. Definitely gives it an extra layer of suspense and tension. Good contrast with how one of the most prominent segments is just four bells, and how it chills out a bit with the piano/choir section. It's pretty fun in-game too, where if you fail to dodge one of the boss's moves you get frozen and the music just cuts off, and you get to hang there in silence watching as it runs up to yeet you.

kobayashi kinda went sicko mode here too. Very cool chaotic prog. Sometimes that genre feels unfocused, like somebody's just $%#!ing around with a guitar meandering nowhere, so it's great when the sensation you're being forced to run in circles and closed loops is intentional.

32. ISO #182
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    DINATIS Q VECIS

Shadowbringers

33. ISO #183
    no new matches?

The winner of the other music contest was

34. ISO #184
    Quote Originally Posted by NFUN (#183)
    The winner of the other music contest was Threads of Fate - Passing Through the Forest
    Old favorite!

35. ISO #185
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Apparently remembering to vote is a great way to forget to update!

DINATIS Q VECIS (4-0) and Shadowbringers (2-1) advance.

Round 1, Fight 29 // Best of Phantasy Star

El-Bals Mountain from Phantasy Star Portable 2
    by Kota Nakashima (PSP, 2009)

vs.

Ice-Covered Love ~ Kohri from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hidekuni Horita (Windows, 2012)

Semifinals, Fight 1 // Best of 2019

Katana Zero by Thijs Lodewijk & Bill Kiley
    Sample tracks: Hit the Floor, Breath of a Serpent, All For Now, Sneaky Driver, Rain on Brick

vs.

36. ISO #186
    Ice-Covered Love ~ Kohri

Baba Is You

Tough calls. I like all four selections.

37. ISO #187
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba

38. ISO #188
    Kohri
    Baba

El Bals (heheheh the balls) snuck up on me hard; didn't really remember it existed until it came on shuffle one day and I ran to my computer to figure out what it was since I had no idea. I have a thing for frog sfx on third beats, and this has something similar on the first which totally counts! I'm getting tired of repeating myself about feels and moods so just enjoy if you like it

The king of cool instruments and wacky prog. This is the song of pso2. Choose your own superlative (I wouldn't call it the best personally but it's very powerful). I'm still tired of repeating myself about feels and moods I've done too many write-ups but just tell me if you've ever heard a song anything like this

this song & me
    Last edited by NFUN; September 6th, 2022 at 10:35 PM.

39. ISO #189
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    El-Bals Mountain

Baba is You

Discord pokes are always appreciated. Sometimes I'm not at my desktop for weeks on end and it's out of sight out of mind.

40. ISO #190
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Ice-Covered Love ~ Kohri (3-1) and Baba Is You (4-0) advance.

Round 1, Fight 30 // Best of Phantasy Star

Challenge Area Probe ~ MISSION 2 from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Windows, 2012)

vs.

PHotoner from Phantasy Star Online 2

Semifinals, Fight 2 // Best of 2019

Sample tracks: Area 7 - HQ, Area 2 - Facility (Trayus), Area 4 - Nest, Area 3 - Dunes, Area 5 - Forest

vs.

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers by Masayoshi Soken
    Sample tracks: Shadowbringers Main Theme, Holminster Switch (To Fire and Sword), Titania Theme (What Angel Wakes Me), Shadowbringers Boss Theme (Insatiable), Final Omega's Theme (From the Heavens)

41. ISO #191
    Challenge Area Probe ~ MISSION 2

Xeno Crisis

42. ISO #192
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Xeno Crisis

Tough decision on the soundtracks here.

43. ISO #193
    Photoner
    Xeno

Fukuyama proving, along with Mothership Probe, that he can own the digital fusion feel just as well as Kobayashi and Horita can. His repetition of that little guitar melody throughout is pretty unique for the soundtrack, and helps give the piece the kind of chill feel that dnb songs often get. It also sticks out as being both the most acoustic and non-electronic part of the song and, eventually, the most unnatural. Very charming laid-back song.

This was the first song from the last two albums I'd heard, when somebody showed me it after warning me the soundtrack took a more... Sonic Forces direction. I was apprehensive but thought this was fine enough for what it was. Not sure how or why, but it really grew on me. I love its aura of menace, and how Kobayashi just decided to be as obnoxious as possible with the instrument choices without resorting to wubbing. I dunno, the piece as a whole kind of feels like it Should Not Exist, a kind of glitch in reality feel that's performed in an over-the-top way that gives a subtle effect. Makes me think of a unstable substance barely kept from exploding

44. ISO #194
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Challenge Area Probe ~ MISSION 2

Shadowbringers

45. ISO #195
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Tails wins the toss! Photoner (2-2) and Xeno Crisis (3-1) advance.

Round 1, Fight 31 // Best of Phantasy Star

HITSUGI from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hidekuni Horita (Windows, 2012)

vs.

Violent Dynasty ~ Falz Hunar from Phantasy Star Online 2

FINAL MATCH // Best of 2019

vs.

46. ISO #196
    HITSUGI

Baba Is You

Cool to see two indie game soundtracks make the 2019 finals. I could go either way on both of these votes.

47. ISO #197
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Xeno Crisis

Another really hard choice in the BO2019 bracket. All of the final four were solid, really.

48. ISO #198
    Hitsugi
    Baba

Hidekuni Horita

Hideaki Kobayashi

both really good soundtracks. I listened to them fully and it was closer than I expected. There'll be a Best OST contest soon that I'm hosting that these would be good noms for

49. ISO #199
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Hitsugi

Baba Is You

50. ISO #200
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    100 post per page best post per page bump