Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VGM Knock-Out Tournament

1. ISO #101
    Crater

This type of "clanky" drum is the best. Automatically gives a track character. Really all of the sound choices have a lot of personality, from the silly "ooh" synths that cut off abruptly to the random beeps and bubbles it throws in to the very PSO synths that sound like PSO and are therefore good. Such a fun track, and one of the more interesting battle/scenery dichotomies, I think, if you listen to the other version.

abstaining because i want no outer wilds spoilers in any way

I hate Sonic Forces. I hate dubstep. I hate that a lot of the episode 6 musical style was Sonic Forces "dubstep" and I hate that the composers are so $%#!ing good that I like it. You can tell Fukuyama was having a ball throwing in obnoxious supersaws and other EDM nonsense and yet it's still clearly Phantasy Star and it somehow how restrained in its lack of restraint. He adopted and mastered the cliches of the forsaken genre

2. ISO #102
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Tales from Toppletown

I liked both of the OSTs in this pairing, but at the end of the day, I'm a sucker for chiptune.

3. ISO #103
    Community
    FFShrine
    The Devotion God

Outer Wilds
    Last edited by Szczepan; June 22nd, 2022 at 08:39 PM.

4. ISO #104
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Entry Into the Crater

Tales from Toppletown

updating after work

5. ISO #105
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Entry Into the Crater (3-2) and Tales from Toppletown (3-1) advance!

Round 1, Fight 16 // Best of Phantasy Star

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tricktrack ~ Part 1 from Phantasy Star Online
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Dreamcast, 2000)

vs.

Scarborough Fair from Phantasy Star Nova
    by Motoi Sakuraba (Vita, 2014)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1, Fight 16 // Best of 2019

Baba Is You by Arvi Teikari
    Sample tracks: Cog Is Push (Solitary Isle), Baba Is You, Water Is Sink (The Lake), Lava Is Hot (Cavern), Fruit On Grass (Garden)

vs.

Blasphemous by Carlos Viola
    Sample tracks: Ten Piedad, Lágrimas de Grana y Oro, Entregarás Tu Rostro a La Señora, Que Las Campanas Me Doblen, Dame Tu Tormento

6. ISO #106
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Baba is You

7. ISO #107
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Scarborough Fair

Baba Is You

8. ISO #108
    Tricktrack
    Baba

My first love of the series. I still can't articulate why I love the IDM tracks that I do. It can be said that this is pretty emotive in the genre. The mood horoscope of the day is "mysterious", "relaxed" and "chaotic". It's very cool how Kobayashi used this kind of track as a way to incorporate a bunch of themes from the old games.

eh

Adding reverb to chiptunes is FAKE and ILLEGAL but it's a cool effective. Baba takes the kind playful and melancholic chip feel of Cave Story in a much more interesting direction, IMO. Love the personality. Blasphemous is cool and dramatic but the songs lend themselves towards needing climaxes which they lack

9. ISO #109
    Community
    FFShrine
    Scarborough Fair

Baba is You
    Last edited by Szczepan; June 27th, 2022 at 04:13 PM.

10. ISO #110

11. ISO #111
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Scarborough Fair advances 3-2, and Baba Is You closes out round 1 with the only shutout of that game so far, 5-0!

Round 1, Fight 17 // Best of Phantasy Star

Let the Winds Blow ~ Remix from Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
    by Kenichi Tokoi (GameCube, 2003)

vs.

Underworld ~ Chaos from Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2003)

Round 2, Fight 1 // Best of 2019

Heaven's Vault by Laurence Chapman
    Sample tracks: Before the Fall, An Ancient Language, Buried in the Walls, Heaven's Vault, Fantasia on One Good Moon

vs.

Katana Zero by Thijs Lodewijk & Bill Kiley
    Sample tracks: Hit the Floor, Breath of a Serpent, All For Now, Sneaky Driver, Rain on Brick

12. ISO #112

13. ISO #113
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Katana Zero

14. ISO #114
    Community
    FFShrine
    Let The Winds Blow

Heaven's Vault

15. ISO #115
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Underworld ~ Chaos

Katana Zero

16. ISO #116
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    I'll give it an extra day in case NFUN wanted to do his write-up

17. ISO #117
    oops sorry long week

Let the Winds Blow
    Katana Zero

It's not really terribly unique for the style of remix it is, but it does something I've noticed a lot of Episode 3 songs do. Some of my favorite tension building (that doesn't rely on constant upwards motion) is done in this soundtrack. :49 here, parts of Strange Fruits which we'll get to later, and basically all of Tower of Caelum provide very satisfying drama and resolution. Often that kind of thing is dry; for whatever reason, the way it's done here is really impactful for me

Underworld is one of a bunch of tracks in this bracket that fill a pretty similar niche. It's very PSO like other very PSO songs you've heard, y'know, good synths, distinctive harmonies, flavor thrown in to give it character (in this case fun piano). You know the drill

18. ISO #118
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Underworld ~ Chaos (3-2) and Katana Zero (4-1) advance!

Round 1, Fight 18 // Best of Phantasy Star

Gather, Under 8 Million Stars from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (PSP, 2011)

vs.

Viel Hunar from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Windows, 2012)

Round 2, Fight 2 // Best of 2019

Apex Legends by Steven Barton
    Sample tracks: Main Theme, Preparing the Arena, Choose Your Legend, You are the Jumpmaster, Victory & Lobby Redux

vs.

Tales from Toppletown by Twinkle Park & Dustin van Wyk
    Sample tracks: Cosmo's House, Topple Tango, Topple Hop, Quiet Woodlands, Lovely Topple

19. ISO #119
    Gather, Under 8 Million Stars

Tales from Toppletown

20. ISO #120
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Toppletown

I changed my mind at least a couple of times on the Phantasy Star tracks, they're both just so good!

21. ISO #121
    八百万
    Topple

I adore the instruments of 8 Million. The mix sounds a little thin, otherwise, the soundset is amazing. Taiko drums are always excellent, and the whistle is one of those instruments that automatically elevates the emotions of a song by being present. key words: festival, duel, forlorn. Dunno how he does it.

One of the more "JRPG" themes you'll find. A triumphant electronic/rock song... oddly triumphant as this fight is very sad. The intro really nails the gravitas and kind of horror of what's going on

22. ISO #122
    Community
    FFShrine

Toppletown

23. ISO #123
    Community
    MU, 2+2

Tales from Toppletown

24. ISO #124
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Gather, Under 8 Million Stars (4-1) and Tales from Toppletown (5-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 19 // Best of Phantasy Star

Ooze from Phantasy Star IV
    by Izuho Numata & Masaki Nakagaki (SMD, 1993)

vs.

MITORIA BORQUE SONDAL ~ PAYSARZE from Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
    by Hidekuni Horita (Switch, 2018)

Round 2, Fight 3 // Best of 2019

A Short Hike by Mark Sparling
    Sample tracks: Somewhere in the Woods, Beach Buds, A Short Flight, See You at the Top, Snow, Lots of Snow

vs.

Metro Exodus by Alexei Omelchuk
    Sample tracks: In the House in a Heartbeat, Race Against Fate, Between Life and Death, Dawn of Hope, Yamantau Cannibals

25. ISO #125
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Metro Exodus

26. ISO #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Egix96 (#125)
    Ooze

Metro Exodus

27. ISO #127
    Paralyzed Sandal
    Metroxodus

To me, Ooze succeeds where most of the other Genesis Phantasy Star songs fail. It succeeds hard at creating a foreboding and intense atmosphere and is a hair away from being a trance song which is hilarious. As such, who cares if it drags a bit? It goes hard.

Staggeringly beautiful and peaceful. Only Greenscape and some of the newest NGS songs come close to this overwhelming sense of calm.

28. ISO #128
    Community
    FFShrine
    Porque Sandal

Metro Exodus
    - I really wanted to vote for A Short Hike, but... Metro is too good.

29. ISO #129
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Ooze ~~ neat to hear a classic in the mix

Metro Exodus ~~ both of these are good

30. ISO #130
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Sorry for the delay. Walrus taking up most of my free and not so free listening time right now. Ooze (3-2) and Metro Exodus (5-0) advance!

Round 1, Fight 20 // Best of Phantasy Star

IDOLA the Strange Fruits from Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (GameCube, 2003)

vs.

Aire Iglesia - Arranged Version - from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (PSP, 2011)

Round 2, Fight 4 // Best of 2019

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers by Masayoshi Soken
    Sample tracks: Shadowbringers Main Theme, Holminster Switch (To Fire and Sword), Titania Theme (What Angel Wakes Me), Shadowbringers Boss Theme (Insatiable), Final Omega's Theme (From the Heavens)

vs.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by Yuka Kitamura
    Sample tracks: Sekiro, The One-Armed Wolf, The Owl, Okami Lineage, Strength and Discipline, Divine Dragon

31. ISO #131
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Oh that wasn't even a delay

Ok well it felt like one lol. Long weekend.

32. ISO #132
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

ff14 shadowbringers

33. ISO #133
    Strange Fruits
    Sekiro

Hey it's :49 of Strange Fruits! (Except I meant 1:03 oops). The way the song builds up to a climax and then all of the instruments fall out is an amazing effect, and then little piano sting before everything crashes back has never been topped. So many little touches elevating this from a run of the mill "hype" final boss theme to something great. Listen to how the drums are just a bit weirder than you'd think, or the wandering piano that appears during the quieter sections. I've never even played the game but the song is so good I adopted one of its characters as my avatar here!

As promised, here's that other metal remix

Kobayashi the King of Synths is at it again. It's interesting how there's a specific kind of "warmth" in soundscape unique to cold machines. This is from before PSO2 and the SYMPATHY system, so I look at it like a prototype of the game's early soundtrack style. It's remarkably similar in instrumentation to Dragon Altar (and Floating Continent which isn't in the bracket), and feels, at least to me, that it's always growing and developing, a Shephard's Tone that calls to adventure. also very good piano

34. ISO #134
    IDOLA the Strange Fruits

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

35. ISO #135
    oh $%#! modeseven also did Immortal Feather

36. ISO #136
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Aire Iglesia

Shadowbringers

37. ISO #137
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Strange Fruits (3-1) and Shadowbringers (3-1) advance!

Round 1, Fight 21 // Best of Phantasy Star

Unfathomable Darkness from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2012)

vs.

Aelio Region Day (Scenery) from Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
    by SEGA (Windows, 2021)

Round 2, Fight 5 // Best of 2019

Little Town Hero by Toby Fox & Hitomi Sato
    Sample tracks: This is My Town, Village Clash, Little Town Hero, Win by a Hair, End the Story!

vs.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses by Takeru Kanazaki, Hiroki Morishita, & Rei Kondoh
    Sample tracks: Main Theme, The Crest of Flames, Between Heaven and Earth, Fodlan Winds, Blue Skies and a Battle

38. ISO #138
    Aelio Region Day (Scenery)

Little Town Hero

39. ISO #139
    Darkness
    Little Town Hero

"yeah lets motivate the player to kick the boss's $%#! by turning three of the best songs in the series into an anthem kicking the listener's $%#!"

This opening is perfect. "The glory of dawn" is a motif that a lot of songs try to capture, and none has done it better than the first minute of this. Holst can eat his heart out. The rest is reminiscent of Greenscape Scenery. Very pretty and relaxing, albeit a bit directionless, forest music.

for the record, Aelio is 100% Kobayashi. It's not released anywhere as far as I know, but I am frankly more certain of this than I would be trusting of an official crediting that says otherwise.

40. ISO #140
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

3 Houses

I will give an honourable mention to End the Story from LTH tho.

41. ISO #141
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Aelio Region Day (Scenery)

Little Town Hero

42. ISO #142
    Quote Originally Posted by NFUN (#139)
    for the record, Aelio is 100% Kobayashi. It's not released anywhere as far as I know, but I am frankly more certain of this than I would be trusting of an official crediting that says otherwise.
    the album just came out and it was indeed Kobayashi. don't have data on the other songs yet

43. ISO #143
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    I was hoping for a tie break but I think we may have lost P and Szcz until the next FF run.

@Relm still has to stumble in here sooner or later. :P

Update incoming.

44. ISO #144
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Tails wins the toss! Unfathomable Darkness (2-2) and Little Town Hero (3-1) advance!

Round 1, Fight 22 // Best of Phantasy Star

Laughter from Phantasy Star IV
    by Izuho Numata & Masaki Nakagaki (SMD, 1993)

vs.

Divide Quests: Area 5 ~ Grave Exegul from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Mitsuharu Fukuyama (Windows, 2012)

Round 2, Fight 6 // Best of 2019

Sayonara Wild Hearts by Daniel Olsén
    Sample tracks: Sayonara Wild Heart, Begin Again, Dead of Night, Mine, Inside

vs.

The Outer Worlds by Justin E. Bell
    Sample tracks: Hope (Title Theme), Hope, Forever, Shady Corporate Town..., Edgewater, Elevator Hope

45. ISO #145
    I can bug a couple of my PSO music pals to vote on all of the tiebreakers when we get to the end of the round if you want

Grave Exegul
    Outer Worlds

Laughter's a good FM tune. Solid fundamentals all around.

Somehow is both exhilarating the whole time and completely exhausting. I guess that's a good mood for boss music to strive towards, the same kind of meta ludonarrative consonance Undertale's Genocide route and the Last Battle chapter of Wheel of Time go for. If that was a goal it was actively striving for, making it cheesy as hell was an... inspired[?] choice. As a whole, it really works better than it should (though As One is the superior half by far). I don't think I've mentioned, but Akari Kaida wrote most of the lyrics of the volume 9 and 10 songs

46. ISO #146
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    1453 Mafia
    I was hoping for a tie break but I think we may have lost P and Szcz until the next FF run.

@Relm still has to stumble in here sooner or later. :P

Update incoming.
    I know none of these games admittedly lol

47. ISO #147

48. ISO #148
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Sayonara Wild Hearts

49. ISO #149
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Ok the think that was preventing me from being online is...not quite over but at least on hiatus. Can't guarantee I won't vanish for a bit again but I'm back for now.

Laughter ~~ I'm a sucker for classics and this vibes very much like Norio Hanzawa's SMD works. Alien Soldier especially.

The Outer Worlds

50. ISO #150
    Community
    MU, 2+2
    Laughter (3-1) and Outer Worlds (3-1) advance!

Round 1, Fight 23 // Best of Phantasy Star

DINATIS CAOCITAL from Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Switch, 2018)

vs.

Over the Universe from Phantasy Star Online 2
    by Hideaki Kobayashi (Windows, 2012)

Round 2, Fight 7 // Best of 2019

A Plague Tale: Innocence by Olivier Deriviere
    Sample tracks: The Inquisition, Father, A Plague Tale, Beyond the Horizon, The Killing

vs.

Xeno Crisis by Savaged Regime
    Sample tracks: Area 7 - HQ, Area 2 - Facility (Trayus), Area 4 - Nest, Area 3 - Dunes, Area 5 - Forest