Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Ultralight

View Game in Database
  1. ISO #1
    OP/Game mechanics »

Return of the Ultralight

Return of the Ultralight

Note: players should expect a lot of dense posts in this game. If you don't like the idea of reading through a lot of long posts, you are not the intended audience for this game! Please only sign up if you're sure you're able to handle a game with a lot of content in each post. For semi-recent examples of what you can expect, look in the light games subforum.

About character limits: There will be a hard limit of 30 (3 * # of living players) posts per day, with a character limit of 2000 characters per post, in order to keep the volume a bit more predictable.
    • There will be an icon that shows up in the post editor (you will need to use either Standard Editor or WYSIWYG) that you can click to enable the character counter. When enabled, a character counter will show up in the bottom right corner of the editor. This counter will not update automatically; you'll need to click the Character Count button or the character counter itself to update the count.
    • The character counter will only show up once you've actually clicked into the post editor, and this only happens in game threads. If you want to try it out, you can try clicking in the editor in this test game, for example.
    • BBCode tags and the contents of img, video, url, and quote tags will not count towards the character limit.
    • If you have a lot of content you want to post at once, you're still absolutely welcome to do so; you'll just have to split it into multiple posts and it'll take up more of your post quota.

Setup: Captain's Choice 15er (12 vanilla town vs. 1 Mafia captain and 2 mafia goons)

• When the game rands, one player will be randed as the mafia captain.
    • The mafia captain will have 24 hours to choose their teammates who will be the mafia goons.
    • Everyone else will be vanilla town.
    • No one else will have any abilities, so it will effectively be mountainous during the game.

Hosted by: @Dawoodle
    Start Date: Monday, June 6, 9 pm EDT (Might push it back a few days given the delay in posting signups.)
    SOD/EOD: 9 pm EDT (6 pm PDT, 1 am UTC [next day])
    Phase Lengths: 48h/24h
    Out of Thread Communication: Mafia only
    Posting Requirement: Minimum of 5 posts per day phase, hard maximum of (3 times the number of living players) posts per day phase (so d1 will be 45 ppd, d2 - 39 ppd, d3 - 33, etc down to a minimum of 20 ppd) which will not be lifted at any point in the phase. Hard limit of 2000 characters per post. Due to the unique nature of the setup, anyone who does not verify their role PM or communicate with me in some form within 24 hours of rand will be replaced.

• Majority will be disabled for this game, except when votes are locked.
    • Votes are automatically locked in when the Town must eliminate correctly.
    • Sleep is enabled. Vote for Sleep to forgo an elimination that Day.
    • Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
    • Votes may be placed by proxy using the dropdown below the game thread. Proxy voting should not be used to try to communicate after you have post capped and will be addressed if observed (this includes requests from players for another player to break the rule.

1. cinderella
    2. Dolby
    3. risiinq-
    1. 4maskwolf
    2. SCCHAMP
    3. Twice Shrunk

Important Notes
    • The post limit will change each day. I will announce the new limit each SoD, but this is different from previous iterations.
    • Due to the setup, the game will be randing Saturday. Everyone needs to be willing and able to check in between 24-48 hours of rand to choose their team if they rand mafia captain.
    • If any pregame substitutions are required, game start will be delayed for at least 24 hours.
    Last edited by Dawoodle; June 8th, 2022 at 08:52 PM.

2. ISO #2
    Host Notes*
    * shamelessly stolen from bbt
    (you probably want to read these, or at least note the bold)

• Reminder that you are limited to 3 * # of living players posts per day phase (for D1, this is 45 posts) and this limit will not be removed before EoD. Each post is limited to 2000 characters; you're welcome to break up longer posts into chunks and post them in succession if you wish. I will post the post limit at each SoD as a reminder since I don't typically run games with variable post limits.
    • Proxy voting is enabled (you should be able to find this in a dropdown below the quick reply box) which allows you to make a vote without making a post. This means you can still change your vote if you've used up all 20 of your posts. Please don't abuse this to communicate non-vote information without having to use up a post.
    • I'd like to request that you try to refrain from complaining about the post limit in the thread if it does prove stifling for you: you signed up for this, and seeing that isn't so fun for players who wouldn't be able to play the game without this post cap.
    • If you ever find the game getting too heated or yourself getting too frustrated, please take a step away from the thread and do something you enjoy to decompress. I can guarantee that things won't move so fast that you can't catch up. You can also feel free to reach out to me to release some steam (responses will be limited at best, but I guarantee that I will read the message and sympathize with you).
    • Let's all be excellent to one another!

3. ISO #3
    Character Limits

There will be a hard character limit of 2000 characters per post, in order to keep the volume a bit lower with the higher post count.
    • There will be an icon that shows up in the post editor (you will need to use either Standard Editor or WYSIWYG) that you can click to enable the character counter. When enabled, a character counter will show up in the bottom right corner of the editor. This counter will not update automatically; you'll need to click the Character Count button or the character counter itself to update the count.
    • The character counter will only show up once you've actually clicked into the post editor, and this only happens in game threads. If you want to try it out, you can try clicking in the editor in this test game, for example.
    • BBCode tags and the contents of img, video, url, and quote tags will not count towards the character limit. This can, of course, be abused by putting a bunch of stuff in quote tags or whatever to get around the character limit, which is why you have an actual human host who will be keeping an eye on things. Keep to the spirit of the rule please!
    • If you have a lot of content you want to post at once, you're still absolutely welcome to do so; you'll just have to split it into multiple posts and it'll take up more of your post quota.

4. ISO #4
    A couple more points of clarification due to the unusual nature of the rand:
    • Night actions will be processed manually. In order to give me time to process the flip, the final night kill submission must be submitted at least 10 minutes before SoD. If the mafia team would like to submit a kill earlier, they are welcome to, but only the final kill submission will be used.
    • The role PMs are pasted below for everyone's reference. However, the standard rules about angleshooting role PMs apply. Basically, don't do it. Don't reference anything related to the role PM including color, wording or timing of when they were received. This is not an exhaustive list.

Mafia Captain:

Role PM for Return of the Ultralight

You are Mafia Captain. You win when you overpower the Town and are the only evil faction remaining. Your teammates are yours to choose.

You must submit two names from the player list who you would like to be on your team. They will be turned into mafia goons and will be your partners for the game. Please submit your picks by Monday, June 5 9 pm EDT.

As Mafia, you have access to the Factional Night Kill Night Action. Players targeted with this action will die at the end of the Night unless protected. Submit your Night Action each night to the host through the Mafia private thread or discord server. You may change your target as many times as you want. The last action submitted will be used. Kill must be submitted at least 10 minutes before SoD to allow for processing.

If no Mafia submit an action, a player will be picked at random from the living non-Mafia players.

Not The Captain (everyone else initially):

You are Not The Captain. You were not chosen to be the Mafia Captain and, as such, have no role in the game yet. The Mafia Captain will submit two names to be their teammates for the game.

• If you are chosen as a mafia member, you will receive an updated role PM notifying you that you are a Mafia Goon.
    • If you are not chosen, you will receive an updated role PM notifying you that you are Vanilla Town.

Mafia Goon (after the Mafia Captain has made their decision):

You are Mafia Goon. You win when you overpower the Town and are the only evil faction remaining.

As Mafia, you have access to the Factional Night Kill Night Action. Players targeted with this action will die at the end of the Night unless protected. Submit your Night Action each night to the host through the Mafia private thread or discord server. You may change your target as many times as you want. The last action submitted will be used. Kill must be submitted at least 10 minutes before SoD to allow for processing.

If no Mafia submit an action, a player will be picked at random from the living non-Mafia players.

Vanilla Town (after the Mafia Captain has made their decision):

You are Vanilla Town. You win when all threats to Town have been eliminated.

5. ISO #5
    All updated role PMs have been sent out. If you did not receive a role PM, you are vanilla town please let me know privately so that I can send it to you.

Day 1 starts in just under 24 hours.

6. ISO #6
    Day 1 has started!

You have a hard limit 45 total posts toDay with a limit of 2000 characters per post.

7. ISO #7
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    « Day 1 Start »
    Return of the Ultralight Day 1 Start

Day 1 has begun.

Day 1 ends at 9:00 PM EDT on Thursday, June 9th, 2022. There are 1654822860000 remaining.

8. ISO #8
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    UTC-06:00
    AKA
    Val
    Pronouns
    She
    -me- first.

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    UTC+03:00
    Community
    Grey Dog Software

Also, hi everyone.

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Community
    Mafiascum
    AKA
    EgixBacon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    first
    ##Vote Scipio1

Congratulations, here's your prize.

12. ISO #12
    ##Vote Wisdom

13. ISO #13
    Wielder of the Triforce Wisdom's Avatar Flake Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    they/them/their/theirs/themself + she/her/her/hers/herself

I was frozen by forgetting how to open these games without wasting precious posts but I guess posts needs to happen for the game to start.

A lot of new faces in this one, you can expect me to focus on Niphredil, Penguin, Egix and Skumbag. I've played with Cape but can't read him and I'm not sure Ichigo will be able to obv!town with this post cap.

14. ISO #14
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    mafia.gg
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

What's up guys. I wish I knew how to read most of the players in this game meta wise, but it is good to see unfamiliar faces

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    mafia.gg
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Oh and for some reason I feel like mentioning that I am going to gutread Egix as town for P#11 LMAO.

Anyway good night

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    I kinda forgot that this was a lightgame when I went to bed yesterday, and was worried that there was gonna be way too much content when I woke up, so this is a happy little accident.

Anyway, from the content so far, I only got a tiny thing from wisodm and that is who they would choose as mafia captain, or whatever that is called. There would be one mafia in the one the list of people they now, so

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom (#13)
    Niphredil, Penguin, Egix and Skumbag. I've played with Cape
    and one outside this small constellation. I am guessing this just based of knowing a bit of their "playstyle" (it isn't a linear and well explained one).

That's all folks

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#16)
    Good morning folks,
    I kinda forgot that this was a lightgame when I went to bed yesterday, and was worried that there was gonna be way too much content when I woke up, so this is a happy little accident.

Anyway, from the content so far, I only got a tiny thing from wisodm and that is who they would choose as mafia captain, or whatever that is called. There would be one mafia in the one the list of people they now, so

Niphredil, Penguin, Egix and Skumbag. I've played with Cape
    and one outside this small constellation. I am guessing this just based of knowing a bit of their "playstyle" (it isn't a linear and well explained one).

That's all folks
    Oh POG I forgot about the mafia captain being a thing, even though I was super relieved when no one chose me.

Maybe hubris but I think that indicates the captain doesn't know me, I tend to be chosen for this kind of thing. At the same time, Skumbag and Penguin probably wouldn't choose me as it would be too obvious.

And it doesn't really matter if I solve anyone as "not the captain", they can still be wolves. And I don't think people know others meta well enough for someone to be an obvious pick (I thought I was the most likely, so I want to believe the captain is a new one, but yeah that line of thinking is probably a trap)

Already started to go in circles with my thinking.

TLDR
    I'm town for some weird reason

18. ISO #18
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

I like to play with new players, especially if they are known by others and are not beginners in this game.

Thanks Niph

I was frozen by forgetting how to open these games without wasting precious posts but I guess posts needs to happen for the game to start.

A lot of new faces in this one, you can expect me to focus on Niphredil, Penguin, Egix and Skumbag. I've played with Cape but can't read him and I'm not sure Ichigo will be able to obv!town with this post cap.
    Wisdom should never freeze

Probably during the game you will give us details about those you know and have not played these light games before.

Why do you trust me so little?

What makes you focus on the players you know? What do you do if mafia is between the others?

A light town read is for Penguin for now.
    Egix's entrance also looks good

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    How are Ichigo and Cape townreading Egix? Like it is just a small meme vote imo, which I can't read into. Is there some meta thingie?

20. ISO #20
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#19)
    How are Ichigo and Cape townreading Egix? Like it is just a small meme vote imo, which I can't read into. Is there some meta thingie?
    It made me smile. Usually a relaxed opening comes from a villager
    The read is not very solid at the moment and still has to prove good intentions

21. ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Regarding on that captain thing, might be usesful to know who knows who here?

Only one I´m familiar with is Kurosaki Ichigo but then again, I have mostly played with in my home community so it´s not a big surprise that I don´t know many here.

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Also good to know that I already made at least two typos. Starting out strong once again.

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    I know Wisdom and Swedish. Think I have played once with scipio, niph and egix, or its just that I have read some game with them in.

24. ISO #24
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    My gut so far says that Ichigo and Wisdom are town

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#23)
    So, to answer zergons question in P#21.
    I know Wisdom and Swedish. Think I have played once with scipio, niph and egix, or its just that I have read some game with them in.
    Thanks for the answer.

Not much reads for me yet, slight town reads on Kuro and Penguin and even smaller one for Cape.

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    Zergon, why is your read on Kuro as it is?

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#26)
    Zergon, why is your read on Kuro as it is?
    Because of the early interactions he had. He asked questions, gave early reads and justified them when you asked about his Egix read.

So basically all the stuff that just gets the game started at this early state. And yes, all of that can be faked as wolf and it´s more playstyle than town/wolf tell but it´s good enough for me right now.

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurosaki Ichigo (#18)
    Is what has me townreading Ichigo so far. It pops out as a more town mindset and is what really stands out from him so far.

29. ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    Teamliquid mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio1 (#8)
    first
    ##Vote Scipio1

Congratulations, here's your prize.
    Based. Thanks for the laugh!

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#28)
    Is what has me townreading Ichigo so far. It pops out as a more town mindset and is what really stands out from him so far.
    Can you explain that to me in bit more details? I took that particular line as banter so kind of dismissed it because of that.

Also why your gut feel is that Wisdom is town?

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    mafia.gg
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    The read felt fun to make, also it was mostly to generate... something for early game as stale as that can be

32. ISO #32
    Community
    epicmafia
    AKA
    TheBeagle

33. ISO #33
    Timezone
    AKA
    Val
    Pronouns
    She
    mmmm. i like penguin and cape so far, their vibes feel good.

##Vote Vivax don’t really have any pings anywhere yet but vivax’s entrance felt tepid if only for replying to the first thing with something not... productive? and then bouncing.

34. ISO #34
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Regarding on that captain thing, might be usesful to know who knows who here?

Only one I´m familiar with is Kurosaki Ichigo but then again, I have mostly played with in my home community so it´s not a big surprise that I don´t know many here.
    I don’t think it’s really worth reading into this tbh

35. ISO #35
    Community
    Art of Problem Solving
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin (#28)
    Penguin asking why zergon townreads ichigo then giving their own reason for townreading them is towny
    I don’t really agree with the reason tho, seems a bit overly aggressive for stuff that doesn’t really tell anything

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    +1

I mean people justified themselves later but for me that's not enough 🤷🏻♀️
    Also, 🙋🏻♀️

Seems like we're in opposite timezones so looks like I'll be talking to myself

37. ISO #37
    Timezone

38. ISO #38
    Timezone

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    mafia.gg
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine (#33)
    mmmm. i like penguin and cape so far, their vibes feel good.

##Vote Vivax don’t really have any pings anywhere yet but vivax’s entrance felt tepid if only for replying to the first thing with something not... productive? and then bouncing.
    Wow I must not have been paying attention, I thought Vivax was the person who said first, but no, they really opened with that odd opening

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    Tepid? It was just your normal reaction to a meme

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    AKA
    Val
    Pronouns
    She
    Quote Originally Posted by Numka (#40)
    Tepid? It was just your normal reaction to a meme
    tepid in the sense that it was the only reaction in a game that’s established itself thus far as having things that are more interesting than that post.

42. ISO #42
    Bandwagoner

Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Hypixel

Anyway I think it'd make sense if we all said who we'd choose if we were mafia captain and why

I'd choose 2 experienced/active players, because honestly I don't think the "experienced players would be picked" is enough to prevent the experienced scum to convince people otherwise, especially since there'd be me, a less experienced player on the team as well

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    AKA
    Val
    Pronouns
    She
    i’m disinterested in that line of speculation and i don’t think we should spend time or energy on it currently.

as it is mafia can say whatever they want and it just gives them fuel for wifom/paranoia should they flip. “they said this so it points to this...!”

feels better to just accept there are probably some motivations in picking people but we’re going to be going down rabbit holes trying to understand them.

44. ISO #44
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    Good morning

I like to play with new players, especially if they are known by others and are not beginners in this game.

Thanks Niph

Probably during the game you will give us details about those you know and have not played these light games before.

Why do you trust me so little?

What makes you focus on the players you know? What do you do if mafia is between the others?

A light town read is for Penguin for now.
    Egix's entrance also looks good
    I've played ~5 games with you, I think?
    The only one I've found you properly was the only one that wasn't a light game (the one I subbed into).
    So I don't trust my skills to be able to read you properly unless you give me enough information.

I tend to start off with focusing on those I know and find easier to read -> meta makes things easier for me.

Had I tried to solve everyone at once that would have given me information overload and my accuracy would have been useless.

If those I'm not focusing on are sus, I trust them to be wagoned. That's usually a good way for me to switch my focus, as those about to die are the ones that need to be solved first and foremost.

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    Akarna
    Pronouns
    I'd say Egix is ~town based on current thread spew (everyone hasn't checked in yet but multiple people dropping quick town reads on him isn't something I think a wolf would do to a wolf mate)

In addition, I find Zergon towny, but he's very much the type of player that I'll probably find hard to find as wolf due to his tone and playstyle being positive/hype but not too hard to fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Numka (#36)
    Seems like we're in opposite timezones so looks like I'll be talking to myself
    If you're GMT+0 then we're quite a few Europeans here that's in similar time zones.

46. ISO #46
    Timezone
    Yeah, I was just thinking how it seems like I was wrong 😅 Well, doesn't surprise me lol

47. ISO #47
    Community
    Maffia Sverige/MU

This captain picking stuff is veeeeery interesting. I see some of you have already been theorizing about who would pick who based on who knows who, and I can see that playing into it (more that you'd be less likely to pick someone you know though if I had to guess), but personally I think there's something way more important to focus on here:

Profile pictures!

I know I personally would be more likely to pick mafia partners with a nice-looking PFP just from inuition and maybe the fact that I'm subconsciously (now consciously I guess) assuming they'd care about the game a bit more on average than someone without a PFP. It's very easy to just assume a lot about who and what a person is just from their PFP, so lets dive into which ones I think a captain is more likely to pick! (and is therefore more likely mafia)

NOTE: And I think the mafia captain would actually stop and think for a bit about who they could pick regarding postcount/who-knows-who because they'd assume this will be analysed/guessed about later. But I think it's very easy to overlook the sneaky influence of profile pictures!! (or lack thereof)

LETS DO THIS! :

So, whatcha think ppl? Have I solved the game?

I'm actually serious about letting this influence my reads (not sure how much though)

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    Can you explain that to me in bit more details? I took that particular line as banter so kind of dismissed it because of that.
    I took it as coming into the game and using any and all things that have been posted as of so far. Based on that premise, the quote "Wisdom should never freeze" shows some engagement which I feel is a bit harder to fake as mafia, especially in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by zergon (#30)
    Also why your gut feel is that Wisdom is town?
    Ehh, this is just purely a gut read, I liked P#17 and might as well put them in the good club and move on for now.

49. ISO #49
    Timezone
    Community
    Maffia Sverige
    AKA
    El Penguino, Pingu
    Pronouns
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine (#43)
    i’m disinterested in that line of speculation and i don’t think we should spend time or energy on it currently.

as it is mafia can say whatever they want and it just gives them fuel for wifom/paranoia should they flip. “they said this so it points to this...!”

feels better to just accept there are probably some motivations in picking people but we’re going to be going down rabbit holes trying to understand them.
    I like this in theory, but sometimes, it can be useful to just think about if you are more sure of some player. For example, my text about Wisdoms potential partners.

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    Grey Dog Software
    Quote Originally Posted by Zugzwang (#42)
    I know literally no one in this game

Anyway I think it'd make sense if we all said who we'd choose if we were mafia captain and why

I'd choose 2 experienced/active players, because honestly I don't think the "experienced players would be picked" is enough to prevent the experienced scum to convince people otherwise, especially since there'd be me, a less experienced player on the team as well
    Eh, sure, I play. My answer is pretty boring though as I would just have used random number generator and pick whoever I got that way. That said, I would probably have exluded Kuro as he would have been most obvious choice being the only one I know before hand.