UTC+10:00
    Community
    Town of Salem
    AKA
    watchme
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

Also pfp origin and why
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#1004)
    Quote Originally Posted by zintle (#1002)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#1000)
    how do you play this game without making it feel like a chore rip
    wait did you actually rand scum

watch

pls dont do this to me
    if I randed scum you'll see me as the lynch target day 3 lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Keqing (#1093)
    what a list to be working with

katze - s8 champ
    hally - god tier gamer
    jc - champ finalist
    sunbae - god tier gamer

me - $%#!ing weeb

send help

Quote Originally Posted by katze (#1277)
    pret goated

katze woated

2. ISO #152
    Quote Originally Posted by CatgirlMaple (#146)
    What's your opinion on the Queen? What has she ever done for you?
    She kicked out Gough Whitlam so $%#! her

3. ISO #153
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#147)
    ideal all-time 10er vig playerlist, including yourself?

ideal all-time 9er cop playerlist, including yourself?

edit: turbos of course

but actually very interested in your ideal casual 10er mountainous 48/24 playerlist, including yourself too
    Me, benneh, stork, Zack, Lissa, gh, panther, sunbae, scoobs, allund for vig 10er

For cop9

Me, benneh, jcohen, younguns, vagos, Lissa, Sun Tzu, gambit, rawrs

Vig10er is the mu game so I went for the mu list

Cop 9er is the pog setup so I went for a legacy group

Def people I could sub in for both, just top of my head

10er mountainous

Me, Zack, gh, Newcomb, Lissa, benneh, sunbae, scoobs, apoc, bopolis

Idk if those are ideal but I think they'd be fun

4. ISO #154
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#151)
    When amogus

Also pfp origin and why
    Never

It's from return of the obra dinn, I just thought it was nifty

ETA: also liked the symbolism in connection to werewolf
    Last edited by Visorslash; August 8th, 2022 at 05:26 AM.

5. ISO #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Arete (#150)
    hello, I have some fun and balanced FM roles for you, please review them

(you don't have to actually do all of them, feel free to stop when you get bored)

list one

list two (has some duplicates from list one)
    I'm bored.

If you want me to critique roles, post em here
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#149)
    What are the 100 best mafiascum setups?
    Mountainous x100

6. ISO #156
    Timezone
    Community
    Town of Salem
    AKA
    watchme
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#1004)
    Quote Originally Posted by zintle (#1002)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#1000)
    how do you play this game without making it feel like a chore rip
    wait did you actually rand scum

watch

pls dont do this to me
    if I randed scum you'll see me as the lynch target day 3 lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Keqing (#1093)
    what a list to be working with

katze - s8 champ
    hally - god tier gamer
    jc - champ finalist
    sunbae - god tier gamer

me - $%#!ing weeb

send help

Quote Originally Posted by katze (#1277)
    pret goated

katze woated

7. ISO #157
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePretender (#156)
    Have you done a shoey before
    No and I hope I never have to

8. ISO #158
    Timezone
    UTC+01:00
    Community
    Fortress of Lies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    What's your stance on drinking, smoking, drugs?

Do you think you're good at understanding people? Depending on your answer, how does it influence your mafia play, if at all?

Do you ever struggle with not being able to get into the game as town? From experience, it seems that it's more commonly a problem for wolves, but have you ever experienced it as town? Getting "frozen," if you will? (I am totally not referencing the recent Org game you hosted.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranmilia (#192)
    Mafia is a game about losing

9. ISO #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgard (#158)
    What's your stance on drinking, smoking, drugs?

Do you think you're good at understanding people? Depending on your answer, how does it influence your mafia play, if at all?

Do you ever struggle with not being able to get into the game as town? From experience, it seems that it's more commonly a problem for wolves, but have you ever experienced it as town? Getting "frozen," if you will? (I am totally not referencing the recent Org game you hosted.)
    I hate smoking (I assume you mean cigs). I'd be perfectly fine if it were banned, though I guess I think people should be able to smoke them in private. No interest in ever smoking.

Drinking, I used to partake a decent bit, but not really anymore. Obv there are issues around binge drinking and violence and addiction with it but I think it is too ingrained in our worldy culture that things won't really change in that regard, we like what we like and we will use anything to justify it. I like a beer occasionally, but I haven't had one in quite some time and no real plans to do much drinking.

Drugs, I don't really care about stuff like weed, go nuts. I don't partake myself but I also don't think it should be illegal. Harder drugs I guess I think should be illegal, but I also think criminalising those things makes it much harder for people to get help and get out of those cycles. I think punishment for that kind of thing just doesn't help anyone, not the person, their family or society. But there is also stuff like LSD or shrooms that I don't think should be illegal either. IDK sometimes its tough to balance the belief that people should generally be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm people, and also doing what is best for society etc. Not sure if I answered these questions the way you asked them lol.

I think I am okay at understanding people. I'm able to pick up on things reasonably well. I think I'm better at certain personality types and styles than other (personality types/styles), and I think it does influence my mafia play because if you understand how people think and are likely to respond you can frame your posts in a way that has a higher percentage of working for that specific person.

For sure re bouncing off a game, there are games I've just never managed to get into, whether that's because I'm not in the right mood for werewolf, the gamestate isn't enjoyable, or I'm just not really getting anything out of the thread.

I don't know if that is necessarily being frozen, but I think there are definitely times when a villager can be frozen.
    Last edited by Visorslash; August 4th, 2022 at 06:51 AM.

10. ISO #160
    Community
    mcleodgaming
    through reading your game i have aspired to pull mine up to a fraction of yours!

who would you say taught you how to play the most, if only indirectly through observation? what did you learn from them? what are your top 5 tips for towning? what is your reading process?
    I
    Could
    Not
    Wait
    Too
    Be
    Your
    Friend
    Family

11. ISO #161
    Timezone
    Community
    Fortress of Lies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Do you think there are any types of reads and beliefs people apply in mafia that end up killing villagers much more often than wolves, even though they are applied to wolves? If you do, can you provide any examples? (Possibly referencing the games when that actually happened, if you have such specific examples.)

12. ISO #162
    Timezone
    Community
    GiTP, CFC
    AKA
    EnderWiggin
    What is your most amusing mafia coincidence?

13. ISO #163
    Quote Originally Posted by bladescape (#162)
    What is your most amusing mafia coincidence?
    First one that comes to mind was getting the covid vaccine at the same day as you on the first day of a game that we just randed wolf together in. Wolfchat was just complaining about side effects. Lol.

Another one that comes to mind was a game where the vig shot the mafia nightkill n1 and the hider n2 (who hit behind a wolf), ended up making zero kills all game.

Everyone deciding FA was a wolf in hedgehog mafia was amusing.

14. ISO #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgard (#161)
    Do you think there are any types of reads and beliefs people apply in mafia that end up killing villagers much more often than wolves, even though they are applied to wolves? If you do, can you provide any examples? (Possibly referencing the games when that actually happened, if you have such specific examples.)
    I think the biggest thing that kills a lot of villagers is when a villager has a wrong read they went out on a limb on, people hate losing to 'obvious wolves' and once you've made a bad mistake like that you often get tossed in the poe for the rest of the game regardless of whatever you do next.

I don't have any specific examples, but I'm sure you can think of times where a villager made a bad call at eod and then got roasted for it.

15. ISO #165
    Timezone
    Community
    Fortress of Lies
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#164)
    I think the biggest thing that kills a lot of villagers is when a villager has a wrong read they went out on a limb on, people hate losing to 'obvious wolves' and once you've made a bad mistake like that you often get tossed in the poe for the rest of the game regardless of whatever you do next.

I don't have any specific examples, but I'm sure you can think of times where a villager made a bad call at eod and then got roasted for it.
    I can relate to this. In my last FoL game, I wolfcased a villager as a villager and got them killed. Overnight, one of the other villagers did a big ISO of me and wolfcased me at SOD. I got nightkilled that night, so their effort was for naught, but it was amusing nonetheless. And... well, wrong.

Speaking of wrongness, are there any "tells" for the town/mafia alignment that you don't believe in? I'm not referring to meme tells, but actual tells that people use for their reasoning. "Being quiet is scummy," for one.

16. ISO #166
    Quote Originally Posted by remember (#160)
    through reading your game i have aspired to pull mine up to a fraction of yours!

who would you say taught you how to play the most, if only indirectly through observation? what did you learn from them? what are your top 5 tips for towning? what is your reading process?
    I appreciate the nice words, thank you. (You're plenty good at ww yourself lol).

Oh it has to be Askthepizzaguy for sure. He was the first guy to reach out to me in my second game and get me to really engage with the game.

I spent years following him into random games and sites afterwards lol. I learnt a lot about how to engage players and get them to talk about things so they have a greater chance of being read accurately. Also learnt a lot about the mindset of wolfing and how to approach wolfgames as an acting performance. It's possibly where I get my chaotic streak from lol. I learnt a lot just from how he phrashed his posts and made his pushes.

Top 5 tips:
    Be willing to change your mind/accept you may be wrong/admit you may be wrong - being a $%#!ty communicator is a big reason why villages lose otherwise very winnable games. If you go hardcore on every read you have and expect the thread to always bend to your will, you damage thread cohesion and splinter the village, sometimes to an unrecoverable degree. You should generally treat all the players itg with respect too, because if people get along with you, they are more likely to listen to you and work with you.

Read D1 - the most important day for game solving, thread narratives haven't been established yet, wolves haven't yet had a chance to get entrenched, often the most clearing and damning interactions are found on D1, if you're struggling for answers it can be very helpful to go back to D1, often the best source of info later in the game too. It's not always fantastic ofc, but it is a good starting place for sure.

Vote early and often - This is kind of a nebulous thing, but IMPO, putting pressure on slots by pushing them and voting them is much more useful than waiting for eod to vote, or waiting until you have a confident read. The longer you wait, the more other players can control the narratives, and the less pressure wolves will feel under, making their posting better. It doesn't really matter if you're wrong, what matters is that you are actively pushing the game state forward and forcing wolves to keep up, passive gamestates tend to favour wolves, especially those who are good at manipulation. Plus, if slots have pressure on them, they can often react in more easily readable ways. Even if you are not voting slots, do try to have some active pushes going.

Understand the wolf paths to victory - this is more for hunting deeper wolves, but when someone does an action that seems blatantly anti-wolf or protown, sometimes it is useful to understand why someone might do something like that, whether it makes sense for their position/game state/personality and whether it might be a move a wolf might do because it is their path to survival/winning the game. I'll give an example here, in the Irish Peoples Anonymous game, orangeandblack5 was a mafia member in the poe who was close to dying. IIRC he made some comment about solving him being best for the game and self voted at eod. It went to a tie and he survived. Obv that looks very anti wolf, but as a wolf he had to do something like that to pull out a win. Ended up being caught the next day anyway, but it is important to really look into why something happened.

Engage with people - people tend to reveal things by accident if you get them into casual conversations about their reads or the game. mafia isn't played in a vacuum, so spending some time engaging with other players and getting them to talk about their read on player x, or situation y, or wagon z, etc, can be very helpful. You can also start small and lead up to a bigger point - this is especially helpful if you have a case or a wall ready to post, you seed the thread and the playerbase to be prepared to read and critically view your post, by engaging them in a conversation, they are less likely to ignore what you have to say.

Often I find that kind of buildup is super helpful into getting someone onside.

Idk if these are necessarily my top 5, ut i think they are 5 good tips.

17. ISO #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgard (#165)
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#164)

I can relate to this. In my last FoL game, I wolfcased a villager as a villager and got them killed. Overnight, one of the other villagers did a big ISO of me and wolfcased me at SOD. I got nightkilled that night, so their effort was for naught, but it was amusing nonetheless. And... well, wrong.

Speaking of wrongness, are there any "tells" for the town/mafia alignment that you don't believe in? I'm not referring to meme tells, but actual tells that people use for their reasoning. "Being quiet is scummy," for one.
    third on the bandwagon, no matter what takhisis says. :P

one of the recent tells i've seen people use is commenting on your prior slot as being wolfy as a sub being wolf indicative. i get the reasoning behind it, but ive seen plenty of villagers go wow i wasn't expecting to be a villager. just ignore it imo.

oh, one that gets used a bunch is in VCA where people state wolves wouldn't vote together so x is clear - i think its super context dependent and not something to throw out willy nilly in every game unless you have actual reasons for it

18. ISO #168
    Top 5 tv series ever?

Top 5 from 2010+?

Top 5 movies ever? From 2010+?

19. ISO #169
    Quote Originally Posted by ladd (#168)
    Top 5 tv series ever?

Top 5 from 2010+?

Top 5 movies ever? From 2010+?
    Red Dwarf has to be up there (it's not like some amazing blow your mind kind of TV, but it is fun sci fi stories with an entertaining cast and great jokes.) It would be a desert island series for me, simply for the place it holds in my heart.

The IT Crowd - kinda timeless tbh. Shame the creator is a giant $%#!bag. It's a touch rough in S1 and a few episodes, but so many of the jokes are still comedy gold and overall just a super tight show that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Twin Peaks S1 and 2 - S3 was $%#!ing awful, but S1/2 are some of the best written television ever. People rave about this show for good reason.

The X Files - Mulder and Scully, FBI. GOAT. Honestly this still holds up super well, its a shame the mythos has so many retcons and contradictions, but on your first watch through, the show is an absolute banger and there are a ton of great one-off eps in there. Truly a fantastic show.

Seinfeld - you can watch any episode on TV when it shows up and you will have a good time. It's gold ladd, gold.

Honourable mentions: Community and Parks and recs are great obv. I really enjoyed the Office for about 5 seasons and then it slowly tapered off, but it doesn't really get super bad. Obv the simpsons probably belong on this list, at least for their golden era run. I love Sharpe, its extremely low budget but surprisingly good acting and fun characters make up for it. Season 1 of Jessica Jones and Westworld were quite good. Firely was fun for one season rip. Death Note obv a classic (except the second half not nearly as good). Would I Lie to You is the greatest panel show of all time and honestly just fantastic regardless. Blackadder obv good. Schitt's creek was light and fun. Doctor Who has some of the best and worst tv out there. Also for an aus show youve never heard of: Double the Fist. It's absurd and wonderful (and on youtube). Letterkenny is good but gets a bit repetitive. Oh, The Prisoner (1960s iirc), was v absurd but also great.

This is definitely recency bias infected but from 2010 onwards:

Black Sails - Game of Thrones meets pirates. It drops the game of thrones esque stuff a bit after S1 (and gets better for doing so), but just fantastic leads that get you thoroughly invested in the story. Really enjoyed this one.

Dark has to be on this list for sure. Just a super intriguing show, and you always want to watch the next ep to figure out what is gonna happen. We've talked about this to death lol.

The Good Place - It is slow to start off for sure, but all I am gonna say is just watch the first season. Great characters, great idea/setting, just a joy to watch.

Counterpart - dunno if this actually belongs on this list, but 2 seasons, super fun characters. Cool espionage sci-fi show.

Honestly Squid Game kinda belongs on this list, I thought it was fantastic tbh. James Acasters standup is v good (both his 4 parter and the cold lasagne one).

Movies hmmm...

20. ISO #170
    Top 5 ever:
    The Long Goodbye
    12 Angry Men
    LOTR Trilogy
    The Thing
    Memories of Murder

Random movies I recommend:
    The Chaser (Korean)
    Moon
    12 Monkeys
    The Castle
    Office Space
    Cache
    The Before Trilogy
    Lost in Translation
    Dredd
    Black Dynamite
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
    Prisoners
    The Interview (australian, with hugo weaving)
    In Bruges
    Seven Psychopaths
    Stalker
    Upstream Colour
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Sorry to Bother You
    Akira
    Network
    Big Trouble in Little China
    The Nice Guys
    A History of Violence
    Eastern Promises
    The Game
    Mullholland Drive
    Hell or High Water
    Le Samourai

From 2010:
    Arrival
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Blade Runner 2049
    Knives Out
    Nocturnal Animals

is this actually my top 5? idk lol but its good enough

21. ISO #171
    please tell me you havent seen all of those lol

22. ISO #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#171)
    please tell me you havent seen all of those lol
    I have seen only about 30% off the top of my head. Ill check some out

23. ISO #173
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    POG
    How do you/people remember so much about so many games?

I've always pictured you as somewhat of a swashbuckling pirate swinging in to wreak havoc on wolves &/or villages. Do you do much swashbuckling in your spare time?

24. ISO #174
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurder3 (#173)
    How do you/people remember so much about so many games?

I've always pictured you as somewhat of a swashbuckling pirate swinging in to wreak havoc on wolves &/or villages. Do you do much swashbuckling in your spare time?
    avast matey.

I do not, unfortunately, though I appreciate the image lol.

"engaging in daring and romantic adventures with bravado or flamboyance."

I suppose in a way, getting groceries is daring and romantic. Never know if you're going to get hit by a bus on the way there. I'm a real daredevil.

I think I remember so much about games for a few reasons:

1 - I spend huge amounts of time and mental energy on games, such that my brain has decided these are core memories never to be erased and somehow I can call up what happened in the second game of 2012, but I can't remember what I was asked to do a week ago.

2 - I'm always around mafia folk. I check into discord every day, I'm in mafia fantasy football groups, I'm in chats with people from the mafia scene, it is just a reminder every day about the people and experiences I've had.

3 - Mafia has just been a big part of my life. Maybe this is weird to admit, but I've spent so much of my free time around mafia communities over the last 11 or so years, that it is just ingrained into me. Particularly being around the same people all this time too. Zack hosted the very first game I played and 11 years later he's still kicking. Plus mafia has kind of been my go to when life sucked and I wanted an escape.

4 - I've always been good at remembering useless details, lol. I'm the kind of person who can remember exactly what someone said in a meeting 3 years ago, and I think sometimes that weirds people out. :P I think part of this is anxiety based - I probably think through things way too much and stuff gets seared into my brain that doesn't need to be.

I'm no psychologist, but those are my guesses.

25. ISO #175
    1610 roro__b's Avatar Moderator
    Timezone
    UTC+02:00
    Community
    Hattrick
    AKA
    dobby
    Pronouns
    he or idc at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#166)
    Quote Originally Posted by remember (#160)

I appreciate the nice words, thank you. (You're plenty good at ww yourself lol).

Oh it has to be Askthepizzaguy for sure. He was the first guy to reach out to me in my second game and get me to really engage with the game.

I spent years following him into random games and sites afterwards lol. I learnt a lot about how to engage players and get them to talk about things so they have a greater chance of being read accurately. Also learnt a lot about the mindset of wolfing and how to approach wolfgames as an acting performance. It's possibly where I get my chaotic streak from lol. I learnt a lot just from how he phrashed his posts and made his pushes.

Top 5 tips:
    Be willing to change your mind/accept you may be wrong/admit you may be wrong - being a $%#!ty communicator is a big reason why villages lose otherwise very winnable games. If you go hardcore on every read you have and expect the thread to always bend to your will, you damage thread cohesion and splinter the village, sometimes to an unrecoverable degree. You should generally treat all the players itg with respect too, because if people get along with you, they are more likely to listen to you and work with you.

Read D1 - the most important day for game solving, thread narratives haven't been established yet, wolves haven't yet had a chance to get entrenched, often the most clearing and damning interactions are found on D1, if you're struggling for answers it can be very helpful to go back to D1, often the best source of info later in the game too. It's not always fantastic ofc, but it is a good starting place for sure.

Vote early and often - This is kind of a nebulous thing, but IMPO, putting pressure on slots by pushing them and voting them is much more useful than waiting for eod to vote, or waiting until you have a confident read. The longer you wait, the more other players can control the narratives, and the less pressure wolves will feel under, making their posting better. It doesn't really matter if you're wrong, what matters is that you are actively pushing the game state forward and forcing wolves to keep up, passive gamestates tend to favour wolves, especially those who are good at manipulation. Plus, if slots have pressure on them, they can often react in more easily readable ways. Even if you are not voting slots, do try to have some active pushes going.

Understand the wolf paths to victory - this is more for hunting deeper wolves, but when someone does an action that seems blatantly anti-wolf or protown, sometimes it is useful to understand why someone might do something like that, whether it makes sense for their position/game state/personality and whether it might be a move a wolf might do because it is their path to survival/winning the game. I'll give an example here, in the Irish Peoples Anonymous game, orangeandblack5 was a mafia member in the poe who was close to dying. IIRC he made some comment about solving him being best for the game and self voted at eod. It went to a tie and he survived. Obv that looks very anti wolf, but as a wolf he had to do something like that to pull out a win. Ended up being caught the next day anyway, but it is important to really look into why something happened.

Engage with people - people tend to reveal things by accident if you get them into casual conversations about their reads or the game. mafia isn't played in a vacuum, so spending some time engaging with other players and getting them to talk about their read on player x, or situation y, or wagon z, etc, can be very helpful. You can also start small and lead up to a bigger point - this is especially helpful if you have a case or a wall ready to post, you seed the thread and the playerbase to be prepared to read and critically view your post, by engaging them in a conversation, they are less likely to ignore what you have to say.

Often I find that kind of buildup is super helpful into getting someone onside.

Idk if these are necessarily my top 5, ut i think they are 5 good tips.
    fwiw this is a super good post that everyone should read because it genuinely pinpoints the most essential things about how to play this game

26. ISO #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash (#153)
    Quote Originally Posted by benneh (#147)
    ideal all-time 10er vig playerlist, including yourself?

ideal all-time 9er cop playerlist, including yourself?

edit: turbos of course

but actually very interested in your ideal casual 10er mountainous 48/24 playerlist, including yourself too

Me, benneh, stork, Zack, Lissa, gh, panther, sunbae, scoobs, allund for vig 10er

For cop9

Me, benneh, jcohen, younguns, vagos, Lissa, Sun Tzu, gambit, rawrs

Vig10er is the mu game so I went for the mu list

Cop 9er is the pog setup so I went for a legacy group

Def people I could sub in for both, just top of my head

10er mountainous

Me, Zack, gh, Newcomb, Lissa, benneh, sunbae, scoobs, apoc, bopolis

Idk if those are ideal but I think they'd be fun
    Nice, when is the game?

27. ISO #177
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    What sort of roles/mechanics would you be interested in, which would require having claims banned?

Do you believe in an afterlife/what do you believe happens after you die?

Would you meet up with other MUers if they were in your area/you were in theirs?

What is your white whale in life?

Would you feel less weird about posting a thread with daily food pics if it was requested heavily, or as the result of a bet?

What community have you never played in that you'd want to play in?

Are there any words where you've reacted like ??? to upon seeing it written down after only hearing it, or vice versa?

Are there any songs which keep getting covered that you are tired of hearing/hearing covers for?

If you're listening to or recommending an artist's to someone, would you prefer it be listened to chronologically/reverse chronologically/other?

If it came up, would you want to handle the process of choosing a setup for champs?

How much would you say you identify with the name Visorslash, or nl?

Do you consider yourself to be funny/are there any particular posts that you enjoy looking back on?

Would you consider someone punching an unstoppable spike of metal into someone else's shoulder in defense of you to be romantic?

Would you consider someone giving you a bone charm grown/molded out of their own bone to be romantic? Same question, but for one made of their molars and/or wisdom teeth!!

If you were to speedrun a videogame, what game would it be?

What would your perfect SoD/EoD times be for you, if everyone else could work with your preferences and you didn't have to accommodate for their timezones?

What is a piece of mafia advice you would give to people, that you consider to be underrated?

What is a piece of mafia advice you would give to me in particular?

Have you ever experienced a ton of spiders running into your house before it rains/is that common?

What are your favourite video games which are not particularly intensive on the device you played them on?
    Message a ghost at Arapocalypse#0834!

[9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be Boq
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Wait for the principal in the cafeteria
    [9:07 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Be offered coffee by the peeps there
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: "Nice"
    [9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Grab a random mug. Enjoy your coffee. Notice that it says "principal's mug" on it

28. ISO #178
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Hypothetical situation: You are presented with a button where if you press it, you will be happy and successful at anything you wish... at the cost of your closest 2 family members having all of their lives becoming a little more stagnant! Maybe they don't pursue cool new ideas, or stay in one location longer than they normally would, or don't get out of bad relationships that quickly, or similar!!

Would you press the button?

Note: closest family member may be exchanged for a close friend if you're not particularly close to family members!

[9:08 AM] boq, bbt's boss: Grab a random mug. Enjoy your coffee. Notice that it says "principal's mug" on it

29. ISO #179
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    What is your favourite piece of mafia theory to discuss?

Do you believe in ghosts?

When is fantasy western riverboat mash?!

Are you looking forward to hosting anni 2023?

What are your thoughts on the new roles that Makaze has added this year, and are there any particular setups/role combinations you'd be interested in seeing them in?

Would you recommend still watching season 3 of Twin Peaks, or just skipping it entirely?

What is a thought/concept/idea you've been developing in mind, but haven't gotten the chance to talk/rant about at length yet?

Are there any particular role models you have, in life/mafia?

What drives you to post lots of questions in AMAs?

What are some things that people do which have always minorly bothered you, but you generally don't find it worth the effort of bringing up?

What are some moments/events in your life which significantly changed your worldview?

30. ISO #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#177)
    What sort of roles/mechanics would you be interested in, which would require having claims banned?
    One of my pet design things is coming up with cool flavour based third party roles, and it is hard to design an interesting role that doesn't end with the person claiming I'm third party my wincon is X and it being a tossup as to whether they live or die at that point and it just feels bad from a host perspective because it is really boring and from a wolf perspective its annoying when the village goes yeah sure whatever.

I also like the idea of village roles that have powerful but can't claim, for example I think a cop13er with no claiming allowed and no role flip only alignment, could be interesting. Obv you would have to be very strict on breadcrumbing, etc but I think it could be interesting. Basically forcing people to engage through the game rather than relying on a claim to get them out of trouble. The game becomes more about peoples posts rather than their claims again. If people can't claim they have to think about what they say, rather than just rely on oops I'm a PR. I find a lot of roles that require interacting with other players to be completely ruined by claiming. E.G. in mashes/anni you might have a role that needs people to post a gif in response to something they said to activate powers. But if you let them claim.... how is that fun? What enjoyment do people get out of taking all the fun out of the role? The fun is in the creative measures someone comes up with to get people to react.

Do you believe in an afterlife/what do you believe happens after you die?
    I do not, I believe we return to the mud. It was nothing before I was born and it'll be nothingness after I die. Never been religious, was raised Catholic but never really believed at a young age.

Would you meet up with other MUers if they were in your area/you were in theirs?
    It depends on the MUer to be honest, but yes, I would consider it if things could work out possibly.

What is your white whale in life?
    Probably to be financially secure in a job that I enjoy, with a house, no debt. lol.

Would you feel less weird about posting a thread with daily food pics if it was requested heavily, or as the result of a bet?
    I don't cook daily, but if it was the result of a bet sure. I would require good odds and a sufficient counter if I win said bet to take a bet like that though.

What community have you never played in that you'd want to play in?
    I always wanted to play in epicmafia and mafiascum because those were the big daddies of mafia that everyone in online mafia knew about. Epicmafia is obv dead now and mafiascum isn't exactly a site I think I would enjoy but I have wanted to tick those off the list. Realms beyond is another I probably should've played on before now. There's a bunch more in the past but I've forgotten them.

Are there any words where you've reacted like ??? to upon seeing it written down after only hearing it, or vice versa?
    Siobhan, for sure lol.

Are there any songs which keep getting covered that you are tired of hearing/hearing covers for?
    There is a recent trend atm of doing like fast trappy covers of older songs that is wearing on me a bit. I'm also sick of acoustic covers that do nothing for the song.
    If you're listening to or recommending an artist's to someone, would you prefer it be listened to chronologically/reverse chronologically/other?
    It probably depends on the artist. I think most of the time I would suggest their best album (to me) as an introduction to the band, and then letting them explore at their own leisure (or a suggested path). I think chronological is better than reverse, but I think exploring different albums in whatever order is very valid, I myself often pick a random album from a discography.
    If it came up, would you want to handle the process of choosing a setup for champs?
    Sure, but nobody would like it when I chose Mountainous or Sorc17 or something that wasn't bland open setup #18.

How much would you say you identify with the name Visorslash, or nl?
    I probably identify more with NL because it is much easier to type. :P

I guess I identify with them a fair bit because I have tens of thousands of posts under both names. I think people tend to switch between them too, so they feel equal enough to me. I'm not sure how to quantify how much I identify with it, but a decent amount I think.

Do you consider yourself to be funny/are there any particular posts that you enjoy looking back on?
    I can be funny sometimes yeah. Not all the time like Monte and I do not have the acerbic wit of some of my peers, but I can make funny posts sometimes. I enjoyed calling out nutellas claim in the recent anniversary game "Investigate how to make posts at eod", and the potato copypasta was a way to express my frustration in humorous terms. I think I work well in the snarky response angle.

Would you consider someone punching an unstoppable spike of metal into someone else's shoulder in defense of you to be romantic?
    Depends what they were defending me from I guess lol? I don't think I would consider it romantic in any sense though.

Would you consider someone giving you a bone charm grown/molded out of their own bone to be romantic? Same question, but for one made of their molars and/or wisdom teeth!!
    Romantic? no. Cool? Probably.
    If you were to speedrun a videogame, what game would it be?
    I have attempted to speedrun some N++ levels but damn those guys are too good for me. It would have to be a game I enjoy the movement of a lot, so a game like Mirror's Edge or N++. Probably a glitchless category too, I like working within the bounds of the game. Alternatively a pokemon speedrun could be kinda fun. Dynasty warriors maybe. :P
    What would your perfect SoD/EoD times be for you, if everyone else could work with your preferences and you didn't have to accommodate for their timezones?
    Kind of depends on the game. I'm fine with mash sods and eod as they are now, because I don't have to be super invested in the game. For regular games, it would be interesting to try 8pm sod/eod in Australian time. I am pretty used to just dealing with American timezones at this point though and it isn't really a bother to me. As long as sod/eod isn't in the middle of the night or in the afternoon.

What is a piece of mafia advice you would give to people, that you consider to be underrated?
    It is better to lose the game going for the read you believe in your heart, than worrying about whatever people will say postgame, or what you think you 'should' do. You owe nothing to anyone. Don't be an $%#! about it sure, but make the vote on the person you think is a wolf, not the person you really don't want to lose the game to.

Another would be to reflect on your reads (correct and incorrect) and understand why you made those reads, what was the situation that lead you to making those reads, and how can you adjust your process in future to account for it. Sometimes you make a good read for bad reasons and a bad read for good reasons, but understanding where your blind spots are is good. For wolfing, I think the best piece of advice is that the game is not over when you make one bad post, or even a series of them. Villagers will fall prey to doubt quite often if you push through the pain and are willing to make up for your posts. Don't be afraid to change tactic if things aren't working.

What is a piece of mafia advice you would give to me in particular?
    Stop letting people push you around, I think you let people get away with pushing you for spurious reasons too much. Sometimes you gotta cut some nerds down to size.

Have you ever experienced a ton of spiders running into your house before it rains/is that common?
    No, luckily lol. I've not heard of it happening to many here either.

What are your favourite video games which are not particularly intensive on the device you played them on?
    I'll come back to this tonight, I should have a bunch.

31. ISO #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#178)
    Hypothetical situation: You are presented with a button where if you press it, you will be happy and successful at anything you wish... at the cost of your closest 2 family members having all of their lives becoming a little more stagnant! Maybe they don't pursue cool new ideas, or stay in one location longer than they normally would, or don't get out of bad relationships that quickly, or similar!!

Would you press the button?

Note: closest family member may be exchanged for a close friend if you're not particularly close to family members!
    Truth be told the family members that would be selected already have stagnant lives. So in that sense its a win win. :P

But I probably not pick the button because I think inflicting that on other people would not only hurt them unnecessarily but also having to live with making that decision would be rough. I also think succeeding at everything would be bad for human psyche, you would become out of touch v quickly.

So no, I don't think I would.

32. ISO #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#179)
    What is your favourite piece of mafia theory to discuss?
    I love breaking down turning points in games postgame. I also love talking about potential strategies as wolf/village, etc. Also just little tactical things like saying x/not saying x at a certain time to get a particular response. Little mini tactics, like seeding the thread about a push on one day as a wolf so you can come back to it later. Really enjoying breaking down tactics.

Do you believe in ghosts?
    I do not.

When is fantasy western riverboat mash?!
    Maybe one day. Won't lie and say I haven't thought about it, but I don't know if any of us are down for it right now. The time might be right eventually though. I'm definitely willing to return to it, we had some fun ideas back then and GH still has the server. Time/life would have to align too.

Are you looking forward to hosting anni 2023?
    Heh, I'll be honest, I had some cool anni role designs I came up with this year but I think I'm going to take quite the break from anni role design.

In fact, I'll give you a role for free to make it even less likely I design anni:

It's a town vig role, but the trick is, the role actually signed up on an alt pregame, and the player manages both their account and the fake account D1. N1, the player dies in the night (leaving the alt alive). HOWEVER, they are also a vig. And if they vig mafia, they get X power where X is that mafias power (converted if possible for balance reasons). And if they vig town, that villager joins the alternate account as a hydra.

I thought it was a fun role for a Thing Game player.

What are your thoughts on the new roles that Makaze has added this year, and are there any particular setups/role combinations you'd be interested in seeing them in?
    Let me check these and get back to you.

Would you recommend still watching season 3 of Twin Peaks, or just skipping it entirely?
    I recommend trying it to see if it is for you, but I just quit after like ep 7/8. It was terrible.

What is a thought/concept/idea you've been developing in mind, but haven't gotten the chance to talk/rant about at length yet?
    Hmm, I'll come back to this later.

Are there any particular role models you have, in life/mafia?
    In life, not really.

In mafia? When I first started it was definitely ATPG and johnhughthom. Montecore, benneh, bop (for humour), newcomb for convincing posting, sunbae for being a good guy, GH for thoroughness, Zack for combining $%#!posting and solving. Voxx for sending fools to the shadow realm.

What drives you to post lots of questions in AMAs?
    Honestly I am just interested in what those people have to say. I tend to only ask them to people who are going to give reasonably in depth answers because that is the most fun for me to read. There are definitely people I've missed over by accident which is annoying but I can wait. :P

I try to ask questions that have either fun or interesting answers. I kind of feel bad about dumping a wall of questions at people, so I will probably cut down and spread them out in future, because I feel like it wears out the AMAer and stifles questions others could post. But basically I just like hearing how people think about things.

What are some things that people do which have always minorly bothered you, but you generally don't find it worth the effort of bringing up?
    I hate when people make loud noises when they eat, but bringing it up makes you look like an $%#! so I suffer in silence. Also really messy eaters, ugh.

What are some moments/events in your life which significantly changed your worldview?
    Hmm, definitely being broke, lol. Not that I came from wealth, but seeing how easy it is to slip through the cracks, has to be a big one. Seeing someone close to me die from a particularly awful disease would be another. Hitting the proverbial rock bottom changed a few things about me for sure.

33. ISO #183
    Janitor modifier - useful to have, not something I have fiddled with a lot, it is kind of anti fun.

Redirector - super op, great in chaotic setups. Could be fun in a big automated mash.

Compulsive - great modifier, should be good for a number of setups. Not that anyone plays D6 anymore, but I was thinking of adding it to the vig roles such that its a small nerf for town.

Blocked-empowerd - seems fine, useful things. nothing comes to mind rn.

inventor - obv great

factional powers - great

joats should be able to make someone a suicide bomber cmv

dont have many thoughts on setups rn, but im sure there are plenty that could be created

blocked-empowered prob have some potential.

34. ISO #184

The IT Crowd - kinda timeless tbh. Shame the creator is a giant $%#!bag. It's a touch rough in S1 and a few episodes, but so many of the jokes are still comedy gold and overall just a super tight show that doesn't wear out its welcome.
    Started to watch this since its on netflix and its hilarious so far. Episode 2×1 (work outing, where they go to watch the gay musical) may genuinely be the funniest episode of any show i ever watched

35. ISO #185
    Quote Originally Posted by ladd (#184)

Started to watch this since its on netflix and its hilarious so far. Episode 2×1 (work outing, where they go to watch the gay musical) may genuinely be the funniest episode of any show i ever watched
    yeah that episode has so many great payoffs

making me want to rewatch tbh lol

36. ISO #186
    Okay. So a number of games I listed on the previous list of games should be able to run on most devices without issue.

Iji and Hero Core (both free fwiw) should be easily runnable I think on a toaster. (all of remars games are good but those are definitely the best.)
    An untitled story (also free) should also be able to run on anything.
    Age of Wonders 2
    Super win the game/alwas awakening both should run easily?
    Bannerman should run fine
    dicey dungenons maybe?
    elephantasy probably
    envrionmental station alpha definitely
    pharaoh almost definitely
    stronghold crusader v likely
    FTL maaaaybe?
    gunpoint probably
    worth trying heat signature
    hexcells v likely
    kero blaster
    n++ im not sure
    sokobond
    the caribbean sail
    uplink

37. ISO #187
    something ive been meaning to do is talk about how being a good communicator is the best thing you can do in game to improve your play/winrate. there are so many games where a couple bad egg villagers end up derailing the whole game, because one person has a lot of power in a game like this, especially smaller games

its amazing how many entirely winnable games are lost because people just aren't very good at playing with others

38. ISO #188
    gonna close this up in about 2 and a half hours or so

last questions, get em in

39. ISO #189
    Zack's Avatar Game Manager
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    do you ever think about making trades or sending offers in dynasty and then never do it?

40. ISO #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#179)
    i don't know how connected this is to anything but here's something i've been thinking about:

Lately, over the last couple months I have been thinking about what motivates people to play (and why people decide to stop playing/quit ww and communities). In part I was thinking about this because of GH and his abrupt Irish goodbye. He mentioned as much and I believe a big part to him losing all fun in playing was the expectations placed on him by himself and others. If he played a random game and he made a read someone disagreed with, or thought he shouldn't have, he would get a lot of stick for it, compared to any random player. Essentially put on a pedestal. He's not the only one, Newcomb and ladd are the other big ones that come to mind. Newcomb plays very rarely in part because of his schedule/phase timings but also because when he does it must be incredibly unfun to have a bunch of people refuse to play the game and instead demand you solve it, and be scrutinised with the fury of a thousand suns for daring to be good at ww. Ladd too, I've complained about on numerous occasions how people just sheep him instead of actually playing the game (and shoot him n1 every game in turbos). I think the ladd thing has improved though, but it does worry me, because putting these players on pedestals is what makes them quit in the long run.

I would hate to see newcomb and ladd stop playing ww because they are great fun to play with and I'm always happy to see them in lineups. I just wish people would treat these players like regular players sometime. I've seen it over the years, when everyone targeted ATPG n1 on the Org, when everyone targeted Zack n1 on CFC. It makes those players stop playing, it makes them stop enjoying the game. I think we as a community are very black and white in how we treat those kind of players. I think this is in part how invitationals have gotten so popular, you can play amongst a field of good player who aren't going to put you on that pedestal, etc. Now there are definitely still issues in those games for sure, but they are less magnified.

Obviously the time requirement for mafia has gone up over the years, I don't think anybody would deny that. We require so much more investment from players now (especially over the pandemic). Postcaps have tried to counter it, but it is very difficult to get the cat back into the bag. I don't know how to get people to adjust their expectations in this regard, but I think it is another reason why people burn out, people spend so much time on these games, but they also feel like they have to. It isn't just a choice to get invested into this game, it is a requirement. I have rose-tinted goggles for the past, but when I think about those games, they were just another game that everyone played, not something that had the underlying tension of todays games. Invitationals do magnify this issue a bit because everyone is playing against good players, so everyone tries hard and wants to do well, and this leads to super inflated posts and post counts and it is no surprise that even with a great playerlist, those games become frustrating to play.

I don't really know what the solution is. Even in the 9er I ran on the Org, Sunbae still stayed up to 3am because he was a wolf and felt he had to. I think as a community we're so obsessed with winning every game and doing well every game, that it has almost ceased to become a game. We enjoy the tactics but the grind kills us all in the end. I'm tired of seeing people I love playing with burn out of the game because of these things. Real life and work and everything else taking up time and no more time for mafia, very understandable, but the pressure and expectations we have on players sucking the fun out feels like something we should be aiming to tackle.

I just want to get back to werewolf being just a game, but it is hard to get into that mindset with the weight of expectations on me from myself to be good at the game and live up to my 'reputation' whatever that is, and also live up to other players expectations of me. Especially if I rand wolf, I feel like I have to go all out.

Not sure what the answer is, or even if this is actually a problem. Just something I've been wondering about how to solve it. I think it takes a community effort.

41. ISO #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#189)
    do you ever think about making trades or sending offers in dynasty and then never do it?
    Absolutely lol. Sometimes because of fear of loss of value, sometimes because I think people will try to nickel and dime me so it is a waste of time.

Sometimes I'm just afraid to make a move and commit to something I'm unsure about over what I have.

42. ISO #192
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    what's the ideal game size and activity level in a game

43. ISO #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#192)
    what's the ideal game size and activity level in a game
    for mashes - 48-64, nobody over 200 posts, everyone over 25 min

for large games - 30+, nobody over 150 posts, everyone over 20 min

for small large games, 20-30 nobody over 125 posts, everyone over 20 min

for small games 10-20 nobody over 100 posts, everyone over 15 min

for mini games, nobody over 75 posts, everyone over 10 min

per day

i think is reasonable?

44. ISO #194
    17 for small games, mini games 9-13

small large - 25

large: pick your poison, 36 maybe

mashes either 48 or 64 impo

45. ISO #195
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    is the NOTW you were going to host fully designed and mapped out etc., or are there still some kinks to work out?

46. ISO #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack (#195)
    is the NOTW you were going to host fully designed and mapped out etc., or are there still some kinks to work out?
    Def still some kinks to be worked out, but I've put in on the backburner until next year. I'm going to be too busy from now until then to host a proper manual game anyway.

Maybe I'll devote some time to making sure I have a small and a larger version.

47. ISO #197
    I feel like we as a playerbase should be aiming for less than 100 posts per day every game

to have a healthier investment level

48. ISO #198
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Biggest regret in life and/or mafia so far?

If you could post a message on a billboard for the entire world to see (which would be understandable by all regardless of language), what would it be?

Has mafia influenced any particular habits you've developed in life, or vice versa?

Were there any questions in this AMA you were expecting, but did not yet?

49. ISO #199
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Favourite avatar that you've used?

Favourite avatar of someone else?

50. ISO #200
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    What is a personal moment/accomplishment which is not something that most others would celebrate/recognize, but that you're particularly proud of?