Welcome to the sign-up thread for Draft Mafia!
Draft Mafia is a high complexity, slow paced Light game for 16 players. It will be hosted by yours truly and cohosted by its talented reviewers, @osieorb18 and @Prophylaxis.
In Draft Mafia, everyone is Vanilla, but no one is ability-less. Abilities will come from "items" that will have to be "drafted" and "equipped" at the start of the game.
The game's complexity will come from the number of items: by the end of the draft, everyone will have 4 unique items in their possession. Multiply by 16 players, and you will find there are many different possible combinations!
As a result of having so many moving pieces, we cannot guarantee that no combination of items will break the game. We also cannot guarantee that there will be game-breaking combinations.
On the other hand, individual items will be fairly simple and straightforward.
The game as a whole has no specific flavour. The items themselves do have their own individual flavour texts.
As for the game's characteristics:
- Game type: Light, but complex nonetheless
- Number of players: 16
- Host: @ZeDorkSlipeur
- Cohosts: @Prophylaxis, @osieorb18
- Start Date: Monday 22nd of August 2022 at 5pm UTC for the draft phase, then Day 1 will start as soon as the drafting is done
- SOD/EOD: 6 pm UTC
- Duration of Draft phase: Up to 4 days
- Duration of Day phases: Up to 5 days (120 hours) under normal circumstances, can be expanded at host's discretion (e.g. when there are sub-ins, or if activity is low because of a holiday)
- Duration of Night phases: 2 days (48 hours)
- Minimum post requirement: 1 post per 24 hours
- Maximum post cap: 20 posts per 24 hours, cumulative. I.e up to 20 posts by the end of the first 24 hours, up to 40 posts by the end of the first 48 hours, and so on.
- Out of Thread Communications: Only if allowed by role or items. Mafia can chat at all times
- Use of Discord will be mandatory
- Elimination method:
- A strict majority (half of all living players+1 vote) is required to end the Day.
- If the Day reaches its deadline and there was no strict majority, nobody is eliminated.
- Players can vote to sleep.
- No proxy voting.
For those interested, the drafting proces and the rules for handling items are spoiler-boxed below:
- You will be privately given the full descriptions of four different items.
- You will have up to 24 hours to pick one of these items. If you take too long to decide, an item will be picked at random for you.
- Once you have made your pick, the three remaining items will be transferred to another player.
- In turn, you will receive the leftover three items from another player.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4, this time with only three items.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4, this time with only two items.
- Once you have made your first three picks, you will get back the last item the first list you were given. This will be your fourth pick.
- You then have up to 24 hours to choose two items to "equip". See the rules for owned and equipped items below.
- The names of all items that were NOT first-picked is made public. No other information about these items is provided.
- Then Day 1 can start.
The draft will move along as quickly as possible. That is to say, you will get the next batch of items as soon as 1) it is available and 2) you are done picking from the current batch.
- In case of conflict between the rules below and the effects of an item, the item wins.
- You can own up to four items in total.
- If at any time you would own more than four items, you must discard items in excess.
- You can equip up to two items at a time. Equipping an item means you get to use its effects. Unequipped items are in stand-by and have no effect (for example, an unequipped bulletproof vest will not protect you from kills).
- If at any time and for any reason you have less than two equipped items, you can instantly equip one of your unequipped items (if able). This does not count as an action (you do not need to wait for the next Night or for host confirmation, you cannot be roleblocked, etc.) During this time, your items are considered in limbo and have no effect (this is to prevent weird corner cases).
- If you gain an item, you can immediately equip it. If you are already maxed out on equipped items, you can immediately unequip one to make room. These do not count as actions. During this time, your items are considered in limbo and have no effect.
- During the Night, you can discard an item instead of doing anything else. This lets you get rid of no longer useful items as well as intentionally trigger rule 5. This does not count as an action.
- When you die, all your items are discarded.
- Discarded items are added to a public discard pile. The descriptions of items discarded upon a player death will be made public. The descriptions of items discarded through other means will be kept hidden.
- Changes to the discard pile (items going in and out) are explicitly announced.
*Edit: Player list is full, sign-ups are still opened. Substitutes are extremely welcome!*