welcome to an amazing WALRUS hosted by the remember
a WALRUS is a game where i write categories and you select songs to fit those categories. these are then scored
after submitting to many WALRUS games i decided to make one of my own... but i cant hold a candle to all of you creating your amazing and creative CATEGORIES so ive got to do one with a bit of a twist... in this walrus you will be creating a soundtrack to your own TV SERIES or ANIME! you can choose any type of show from shonen anime to HBO prestige so the category descriptions have been left intentionally vague for genre
- most categories are scored by catfit. if i really hate a song, it may get panned. individual category scores themselves are agnostic to the "whole" of a show
- the individual category scores are half of your score; the other half of your score will be about how cohesive your soundtrack is as a whole
- i listen to everything and enjoy everything in terms of music so pandering to me specifically is quite difficult, but in this walrus i'd probably enjoy creative uses of songs
- don't worry about your soundtrack's song having lyrics! i know most soundtrack songs don't, but seeing as we're picking and choosing, approximating the vibe is certainly enough, and the presence of lyrics won't hurt your score
- double dipping into the same artist will hurt your score and isn't recommended. after i hear an artist once in your subs, a repeat of the same artist will result in a halved category score
- using ersatz material instead of your own creativity is a bad idea. so, if you're going to have an anime OP, using a song that's been an OP in an actual anime will score poorly
- writing the plot of your series and/or context for the scene in which a song will play may help your score, but it isn't required to win the category or to get a perfect cohesion score. in other words, if you're more into the music than writing a show, you won't be penalized at all if i can really feel and imagine the vision behind your submissions. but, if i'm mixed on your submission, such context could be a bit of a tiebreaker and bump you up.
the examples given are just to get your brain juices flowing, but your songs may be totally different if your show has a different genre!
now for the actual categories:
1. Intro Song
What you hear at the start of every episode. While many people skip these after seeing them once or twice, they're invaluable for setting the tone of your show. What I'm looking for in an anime show will be way different than what I'm looking for in a prestige TV series.
(Note: Non-Japanese songs are likely going to do better in the anime category, since so much of Japanese rock fits the bill and is way too easy. Do what you will, though!)
Examples (only for this category):
[Anime] Moron Police - Captain Awkward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLiQMVkp-w
[Anime] ELLEGARDEN - Space Sonic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_iOOwCU5jg
[TV] Five Blind Boys From Alabama - Way Down In The Hole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxnr9fV-Ts
[TV] Massive Attack - Teardrop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0MC0jFv6M
2. Main Character's Theme
Motif that encapsulates the personality and surrounds the actions of the main character.
3. Rival or Foil's Theme
Motif that encapsulates the personality and surrounds the actions of the rival or foil character.
4. Villain's Theme
Motif that encapsulates the personality and surrounds the actions of the villain character.
5. Training/Preparation Arc
Getting stronger. Plotting your next move. Growing as a person and learning lessons. Be it something energetic or something montage-worthy, let's hear a song that accompanies the cast through their character development as the series winds up.
[fierce anime training] Cornelius - Count Five or Six https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbsgwTwsdk
[montage] Simon Viklund - Break the Rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Z96WwZrL0
Levity breaks up the pacing of your series and reminds us that the characters are human. Without showing us that life is to be enjoyed, how can we attach ourselves to them? How about some comic relief or a trip to the beach?
Serani Poji - Rabbit Panic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI1WSL1akYs
Daniel Pemberton - Cuban Peacock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG2xgfxnGAs
The plot just got way more interesting. Maybe some dark plot elements got uncovered.
Virna Lindt - Underwater Boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcYQRDPks8
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Milk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lSANDyKjU
8. Somber Scene
Sad stuff happens. Pretty self-explanatory.
Toshio Masuda - Kotowari https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ewe2uF6O4
Michael Giacchino - Locke'd Out Again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_btA1bS53w
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao
9. Power Up!... Get Ready!
The MC is going super saiyan. Okay, maybe not in the grounded shows, but they're at least getting into their element.
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP8pItthKkg
Kensuke Ushio - Hero Appears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aZ3zbSR98
Ground Zero - Miagetegoran Yoru No Hoshi Wo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ZTM8-TdWA
Epic fight or confrontation. Or mysteries being solved. Whatever. Lots of tension and some catharsis.
0edit - Tin Soldiers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zl-FWcMOno
Elfonia - ... de los libros del tiempo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M28MtmJ13k
Everything is over, and people are coming to terms with what happened and how it changed them.
The Limetree Warehouse - On the line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPagg5QDbw
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Coronation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyBBzP1AB1Q
For anime, this is usually the ED. For a prestige TV show, this is what I want to hear playing as the last episode fades out. A lot of movies and TV shows play pop songs for this purpose.
glass beach - classic j dies and goes to hell part one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyePx5bS3I
The Pretenders - 2000 Miles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkWIqQ3oLY
deadline is September 13th, appr. 1 month from now. late subs may be taken until category 1 is revealed, but not after that
no limit to entrants
Owner of a Lonely Heart