Page 1 of 229 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Midnight Mash Game Thread

View Game in Database
  1. ISO #1

Midnight Mash Game Thread

Midnight Mash Sign Ups

The Mafia won. They won years ago. New Emyuvia hasn't been managed by Town hands for as long as anyone can remember. Money changes hands endlessly, murder is commonplace, and corruption is rampant. The mob bosses sit in their offices and grow fat off the backs of the common citizen. But in their luxury they have grown complacent. Mob associates have been turning up dead recently, and there have been rumblings of discontent beyond the usual. The old ways have fallen apart for the Mafia, they no longer sit in secrecy. They face a new threat, a Town unlike anything they've seen before.

Hosted By: @LordQuas & The Lukundo & Ephemera
    Start Date: September 5th (or later if we need more signups)
    Size: 40 Players (could go slightly more if there's interest)
    SOD/EOD: 8pm-8am EST
    Phase Lengths: 12/12
    Setup: Closed
    Night Chat: No unless otherwise stated in role PM. Mafia 24/7
    Out of Thread Communication: No unless otherwise stated in role PM. Mafia 24/7
    Posting Requirement: Five posts minimum per day. If you don't meet this I'll ask you once if you need a sub during the night, and if you say yes or fail to respond I will sub you out. If you say no and still fail to meet the minimum in a later day I will sub you out as well. I won't even bother asking if you zero post.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3
    THE GAME HAS NOT STARTED

DO NOT POST

4. ISO #4
    ITA TIMES

ITAs will begin on Day 2. There will be two ITA sessions per day, one at 11pm EST and one at 5am EST. The default is 1 ITA shot per person with 15% accuracy.

ACTION SUBMISSION DEADLINE

Day actions will be processed 1 hour after day start and 1 hour before day end (so 9pm EST to 7am EST). They will also NOT be processed during and up to 10 minutes before ITAs. So 10:50pm EST and 4:50am EST.

Night actions must be submitted 1 hour before SoD. That is 7pm EST!

These are less of a hard lines and more of soft rules to let us actually process things with reasonable time, and be fair to the game, but please stick to it or we cannot guarantee any submissions not in these times will be processed (in fact they probably won't!)

WHERE TO SUBMIT?

Please submit night actions to @New Mash City Gazette and NOT individual hosts' MU or discord accounts. If there is an accident we will still try to process the action should it end up in the wrong place, but with time zones splitting our host team in half it is VERY LIKELY one of us will not see it.

5. ISO #5
    DO NOT SHARE PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS YOU HAD WITH THE GAME HOST

If you have any questions at all, please send them to us. That's what we're here to do! But please do not reference any sort of host communication at all. Its a rule on MU and its a rule here, thank you. Do not ask game questions in the game thread either.

FLAVOR CLAIMING AND YOU

Do NOT quote or paraphrase or reference specific flavor. This is a modkillable offence. This includes but is not limited to character images, ability names, specific flavor text, or copy pasting any thing from a role card or action result or anything of the like. If you are ever in doubt, one of us will be around you can ask.

In fact, do not copy paste anything game related into this thread that isn't already in the thread to begin with as a good rule.

As an added reason to not do this, flavor claiming will not be helpful because flavor is wholly original, and the flavor of the Mafia and Town are very similar and hard to distinguish short of directly copy pasting your entire rolecard.

If you so desire, you can claim your Character Name, but it is not alignment indicative or helpful.

OUTSIDE COMMUNICATION

Paraphrasing is allowed, but copy pasting chat messages (outside of wolf chat) is disallowed on MU.

Please do not talk about player substitutions

Acknowledging a player was subbed is fine and totally normal. Please do not talk about or speculate as to why a player was substituted. This also goes for as to why a player was modkilled

6. ISO #6
    Midnight Mash Role PM

You are One of the Goons

Just an ordinary underling in the Tremblay family.

You are a Mafia Goon. You are a member of the Mafia, the Uninformed Majority. You win when all threats to your faction have been eliminated.

You have no extra abilities.

This is an example Mafia Goon role PM.

7. ISO #7
    By the Way, If this is your first Mash

I would highly recommend giving this beginner's guide to mashes by Chris a skim. He does a good job breaking down the weirdness of very large games into some easy to understand components

There's also this equally very good guide to village play in mashes written by Amrock, but really it can be useful as any alignment. Its also very good, and builds well on the first article, its just a lot longer.

8. ISO #8
    LOCATIONS

There will be two locations per day. The first will take place from SoD until halfway through the day (2am EST), with the second taking place the rest of the day. They may or may not be useful for certain roles, and will matter for events, as seen below.

Each night, starting n0, three locations will be randomly selected. Players will vote on which two locations to visit. The top vote will be the first location, and the 2nd place will be the 2nd. Please submit ONE vote. There will not be significant differences between locations. Locations will not be repeated.

EVENTS

There will be three events a day, split into two types. A day long event that will be open until EoD, and two midday events. The midday events will be associated with the respective location (each location has one).

Each location has a "type" which determines what prizes you may receive. The day long event prizes will be determined by the most popular location voted for (aka the first half of the day).

Event Prizes

Protective
    • ITA Shield (night action that makes target immune to ITAs for following phase, self targetable)
    • Doctor (not self targetable)
    • BPV

Investigative
    • Track
    • Alignment Cop
    • Watcher
    • Homicide Investigator (Check to see if your target has killed anyone this game. Does not apply to votes)

Killing
    • Poison
    • Night Vig
    • ITA Vulnerablizer (next ITA will always hit the targeted player, Night Action)

Misc
    • Roleblock
    • Neighborhood
    • Vanilliaze
    • Extra ITA (one extra shot that will not refresh each phase)
    Last edited by New Mash City Gazette; September 6th, 2022 at 02:21 AM.

9. ISO #9
    A Rolecard Is Revealed

You are Don Bruno

As head of the Tremblay family, you are feared and respected. Initially a low ranking goon, the stories of how you climbed your way through the ranks with brute force (and a surprising amount of cunning) are all true. You remember years ago when the Mafia took over New Mash city, you were barely a made man then, still wet behind the ears, but the tactics and importance of the family made a firm impression on you, and you've dedicated your life to the mob ever since.

You are the Mafia Godfather. You are a member of the Mafia, the Uninformed Majority. You win when all threats to your faction have been eliminated.

You have the following abilities.

i) Public Figure
    You are the Don, everyone knows what you do. Your role card will be posted n0 [ability iv redacted].

ii) In Plain Sight
    You will peek as Town to any alignment checks and Vanilla to any role checks.

iii) Command the Troops
    Each night you may kill a targeted player. This ability cannot be blocked or prevented in any way. Your target cannot be saved from death in any way.

iv) [REDACTED]
    This ability is redacted

10. ISO #10
    Night 0 Location Voting

The three locations you have to choose from are the Speakeasy, the Theatre, and Central Park. Please submit your votes for a SINGULAR location before SoD if you wish to influence the choosing. Ties will be randed. This is NOT subject to the night action submission deadline and may be submitted up until the announcement is posted in the thread (aka last minute). Of course, if you submit last second your submission may be missed.

Name: Sasha Speakeasy
    Construction Finished: Keep it hush hush
    History: A little branch of the Petraske Family's Speakeasy's, this is a secretive bar hidden in a strange metal door on a corner, and one that doesn't attract as much attention as some of its more popular cousins, which compose 7 other Speakeasy's in the South Side of the city.

Name: National Theatre of Emyuvia
    Construction Finished: 1912
    History: A brand new state of the art theatre in modern architectural styles was designed after ideas were floated for the need for a National Theatre after a series of concerts celebrating various subcommunities were held. Architect Lee Kuan Rajaratnam designed the building with direct oversight from the Emyuvian minister of culture Alfred Wong. Despite its extremely new status, recent rumblings have been heard about demolishing it to make way for a Central Expressway to allow better transported through a rapidly congested area of the city.

Name: Williams Mountain Park
    Construction Finished: 1728
    History: The largest hillside park in the world, architect Kassel Hesse began the construction, including plans for elaborate fountains and a massive monument of Thingyman, an Emyuvian legendary figure. It has been deemed a World Heritage Site on account of this colossal statue, and ancient water fountain that is a marvel of engineering even for today.

11. ISO #11
    Flavor Claiming Clarification

If a role is modpeeked and posted in the thread, flavor claiming it specifically is allowed, as long as it is not claiming redacted pieces of flavor.

12. ISO #12
    The game has been RANDED

If you believe there has been an error, please let us know ASAP

If not, then look forward to it and hopefully have fun!

13. ISO #13
    Factional

Town (informed minority) have one assigned factional night kill
    Last edited by New Mash City Gazette; September 5th, 2022 at 01:26 PM.

14. ISO #14
    ITA Immunity

All forms of ITA Immunity will process as "Hit! No one died"

15. ISO #15
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    Day 1 Start »
    Midnight Mash Day 1 Start

Day 1 has begun.

Day 1 ends at 8:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, September 6th, 2022. There are 1662465660000 remaining.

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    UTC+08:00

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    UTC-08:00
    Community
    SMAS

18. ISO #17
    Community
    AoPS
    AKA
    snow turbo acc
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

19. ISO #17
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Smogon
    A quick note about WW theory and how I will play this game. Note that the arguments and facts presented here are indisputable, and that I will not engage in arguments about them, because those arguments are you wasting everyone else's time about meta that is well and comprehensively established. Go make reads so we can read you.

I've reflected on my role and realized that there is a GOAT play for me in this game, and therefore I am compelled to pursue it. I am going to brute force my wolfiness immediately upon the opening of the thread.

I am hard-claiming, and I will never be rescinding. I am Mafia. When it becomes prudent I will provide my factional kill.

Benefits:

1. I will survive tonight: I do not believe the wolves are able to kill me tonight. It's literally impossible.

2. I'm lock mafia: All of you already know I'm lock mafia, because it is so objectively unlikely that I would do this as a villager. You know this for at least two reasons. First, this is the hardest, highest-stress, highest-demand game to town in that I've ever played in (except for mashes). I have no need to complicate my life, as a villager, by open-claiming on thread open, when all Ihave to do is provide like a C-level town game to probably win. This is the rare instance where you literally know that I have a billion other options as a villager, AND that I would pursue probably ALL of them before pursuing this. Second, I engage in FPS exceedingly frequently, which necessarily means that I *know* that this will look WEIRD and SHOCKING to you. There is no merit to a village play that instantly generates WEIRD and SHOCKED responses that I would be obligated to finesse and manage for the remainder of the game. As a mafia, which I am, the burden is totally on you to not **** up and lynch me. Makes my life super awesome.

3. There are only 38 players you need to try to read, rather than 39: I have already provided a "free" red peek of me in a game with a mere 40 players. Your win equity is dramatically improved by my being entirely on the table for the entire game.

Conclusion:

The burden of sound reasoning is now entirely upon you. I am a Mafia Goon, and thus Mafia, and thus lock mafia. The game is immediately simpler than it would otherwise have been, because of my decision. Now, let us enjoy that benefit and win the game.

Also, to preempt a lengthy and pointless discussion.

It is NOT dumb to ponder this post and convince yourself of its wisdom. That is your obligation as a villager, and I encourage you to think it over for as long as it takes to quell your (initially valid but ultimately unnecessary) concerns.

It IS dumb to, AFTER doing that pondering, conclude that I'm "neutral" or "villagery." That is legitimately stupid, and I won't entertain it. ONE of the reasons it is a stupid conclusion is that the upside of this play as a villager is absolutely DWARFED by the upside of this play as a mafia. There is no equivalency between the EV gain for town-me in this position and mafia-me in this position. They're universes apart. That means I wouldn't DO the poorer option of the two (by extension, town-me also wouldn't BELIEVE that I could convince the entire game of the truth of these assertions for the entire game, which as an end-game villager I would have to believe if this strategem were to be worth pursuing). A SECOND reason that conclusion is stupid is that the EV bonus of oding this as a villager is COMPLETELY DWARFED by me baseline town EV anyway. Anything that complicates my villaging life is RIDICULOUSLY stupid for me to do, given that my villaging life is ALREADY one of the smoothest, highest expectation villaging lives in WW history anyway. A THIRD reason that conclusion is stupid is that you would probably have to worry about being EXPLOITED by this gambit in order to get there. However, I have SEVERAL TIMES engaged in this, or any similar, gambit in my entire career, meaning that if there IS exploitation to be had with this play, it is in THIS GAME, not future games. For these reasons, pressuring me is extremely villagery and should be engaged by everything villager, ever, in this game. There will be no more productive pursuit than that in this game.

Sucks for the wolves when meta is wielded this brutally, but my allegiance is plain and my strategy perfect. Get #rekt.

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    Community
    RIP EpicMafia
    AKA
    BradLand
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
  21. ISO #21
    Hype! Arapocalypse's Avatar Discord Moderator
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    MAFIA HYPE!!!!!!!

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS

23. ISO #23
    « D1 Full Day Event - Sheep »
    Midnight Mash D1 Day Long Event - Sheep

Sheep is a game where you seek to have the most commonly submitted answer to a series of questions. You get more points the more players that gave the same answer as you. Whoever has the most points wins!

Question 1: Is Mafia or Werewolf (or other) terminology better
    Question 2: Where is this taking place?
    Question 3: Name a citizen of Emyuvia (cough cough name a user on MU)
    Question 4: Name a large city in real life
    Question 5: Name a standard Mafia role
    Question 6: Name a wacky Mafia role

You have until 8am EST (that's EoD!) to submit one answer for each question to this host account here. Please for convenience sake try to submit it all in one Private Message.

DO NOT TALK ABOUT ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS IN THE GAME THREAD OR ANY OTHER GAME RELATED CHATS PLEASE, IT WILL BREAK THE GAME

The results will be tallied at the end of the day.

D1 Location 1

The Speakeasy is the location for the first half of D1

Name: Sasha Speakeasy
    Construction Finished: Keep it hush hush
    History: A little branch of the Petraske Family's Speakeasy's, this is a secretive bar hidden in a strange metal door on a corner, and one that doesn't attract as much attention as some of its more popular cousins, which compose 7 other Speakeasy's in the South Side of the city.

24. ISO #24
    Community
    AoPS
    AKA
    snow turbo acc
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself

kill me now

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Community
    Town of Salem
    AKA
    watchme
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Quote Originally Posted by minted snow (#17)
    hardclaim town
    ##Vote minted snow

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    RIP EpicMafia
    AKA
    BradLand
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by New Mash City Gazette (#9)
    A Rolecard Is Revealed

You are Don Bruno

As head of the Tremblay family, you are feared and respected. Initially a low ranking goon, the stories of how you climbed your way through the ranks with brute force (and a surprising amount of cunning) are all true. You remember years ago when the Mafia took over New Mash city, you were barely a made man then, still wet behind the ears, but the tactics and importance of the family made a firm impression on you, and you've dedicated your life to the mob ever since.

You are the Mafia Godfather. You are a member of the Mafia, the Uninformed Majority. You win when all threats to your faction have been eliminated.

You have the following abilities.

i) Public Figure
    You are the Don, everyone knows what you do. Your role card will be posted n0 [ability iv redacted].

ii) In Plain Sight
    You will peek as Town to any alignment checks and Vanilla to any role checks.

iii) Command the Troops
    Each night you may kill a targeted player. This ability cannot be blocked or prevented in any way. Your target cannot be saved from death in any way.

iv) [REDACTED]
    This ability is redacted
    Hardclaiming this guy

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    UTC-03:00
    Community
    Everybody Edits → mafiascum → Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Other names users might know you by

29. ISO #29
    Community
    AoPS
    AKA
    snow turbo acc
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonBabe (#26)
    Quote Originally Posted by minted snow (#17)
    hardclaim town
    ##Vote minted snow
    ##Vote minted snow

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueKang (#20)
    Btw BK, believe it or not, I actually rolled mafia again, but this time... it's a good thing hehe

So hopefully you are on the same team as well

31. ISO #31
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Quote Originally Posted by billymills (#17)
    A quick note about WW theory and how I will play this game. Note that the arguments and facts presented here are indisputable, and that I will not engage in arguments about them, because those arguments are you wasting everyone else's time about meta that is well and comprehensively established. Go make reads so we can read you.

I've reflected on my role and realized that there is a GOAT play for me in this game, and therefore I am compelled to pursue it. I am going to brute force my wolfiness immediately upon the opening of the thread.

I am hard-claiming, and I will never be rescinding. I am Mafia. When it becomes prudent I will provide my factional kill.

Benefits:

1. I will survive tonight: I do not believe the wolves are able to kill me tonight. It's literally impossible.

2. I'm lock mafia: All of you already know I'm lock mafia, because it is so objectively unlikely that I would do this as a villager. You know this for at least two reasons. First, this is the hardest, highest-stress, highest-demand game to town in that I've ever played in (except for mashes). I have no need to complicate my life, as a villager, by open-claiming on thread open, when all Ihave to do is provide like a C-level town game to probably win. This is the rare instance where you literally know that I have a billion other options as a villager, AND that I would pursue probably ALL of them before pursuing this. Second, I engage in FPS exceedingly frequently, which necessarily means that I *know* that this will look WEIRD and SHOCKING to you. There is no merit to a village play that instantly generates WEIRD and SHOCKED responses that I would be obligated to finesse and manage for the remainder of the game. As a mafia, which I am, the burden is totally on you to not **** up and lynch me. Makes my life super awesome.

3. There are only 38 players you need to try to read, rather than 39: I have already provided a "free" red peek of me in a game with a mere 40 players. Your win equity is dramatically improved by my being entirely on the table for the entire game.

Conclusion:

The burden of sound reasoning is now entirely upon you. I am a Mafia Goon, and thus Mafia, and thus lock mafia. The game is immediately simpler than it would otherwise have been, because of my decision. Now, let us enjoy that benefit and win the game.

It is NOT dumb to ponder this post and convince yourself of its wisdom. That is your obligation as a villager, and I encourage you to think it over for as long as it takes to quell your (initially valid but ultimately unnecessary) concerns.

It IS dumb to, AFTER doing that pondering, conclude that I'm "neutral" or "villagery." That is legitimately stupid, and I won't entertain it. ONE of the reasons it is a stupid conclusion is that the upside of this play as a villager is absolutely DWARFED by the upside of this play as a mafia. There is no equivalency between the EV gain for town-me in this position and mafia-me in this position. They're universes apart. That means I wouldn't DO the poorer option of the two (by extension, town-me also wouldn't BELIEVE that I could convince the entire game of the truth of these assertions for the entire game, which as an end-game villager I would have to believe if this strategem were to be worth pursuing). A SECOND reason that conclusion is stupid is that the EV bonus of oding this as a villager is COMPLETELY DWARFED by me baseline town EV anyway. Anything that complicates my villaging life is RIDICULOUSLY stupid for me to do, given that my villaging life is ALREADY one of the smoothest, highest expectation villaging lives in WW history anyway. A THIRD reason that conclusion is stupid is that you would probably have to worry about being EXPLOITED by this gambit in order to get there. However, I have SEVERAL TIMES engaged in this, or any similar, gambit in my entire career, meaning that if there IS exploitation to be had with this play, it is in THIS GAME, not future games. For these reasons, pressuring me is extremely villagery and should be engaged by everything villager, ever, in this game. There will be no more productive pursuit than that in this game.

Sucks for the wolves when meta is wielded this brutally, but my allegiance is plain and my strategy perfect. Get #rekt.
    ##Vote billymills

32. ISO #32
    Timezone
    Community
    Mafia Cafe
    AKA
    Gnome, Gnomey
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonBabe (#16)
    hi im mafia
    Me, too.

33. ISO #33
    Timezone
    Community
    Daily Mafia
    AKA
    D
    Pronouns
    Potato

So I'm probably low key going to be slack on this game due to weird EODs. I'm guessing mafia is town and town is mafia this game?

34. ISO #34
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS

Not reading a wall early ty

35. ISO #35
    Community
    Mafia Games Discord
    AKA
    Ara
    Quote Originally Posted by arogame123 (#22)
    Btw, I am the godfather ggs
    I definitely believe you here!!!!

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    UTC+10:00
    Community
    Town of Salem
    AKA
    watchme
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by arogame123 (#22)
    Btw, I am the godfather ggs
    I Cc

37. ISO #37
    Timezone

38. ISO #38
    Community
    AoPS
    AKA
    snow turbo acc
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    no one is town here?? what's going on??? am i the only town

how will i find my towns now?

39. ISO #39
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapocalypse (#31)
    Quote Originally Posted by billymills (#17)

Benefits:

Conclusion:

##Vote billymills
    mindmeld. Ara town

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    UTC+00:00
    Community
    Kanto Region
    I am town. I am going to die very fast even though I am going to $%#!post. Watch.

41. ISO #41
    Timezone
    Community
    RIP EpicMafia
    AKA
    BradLand
    Pronouns
    he/him/his/his/himself
    Quote Originally Posted by arogame123 (#30)
    Btw BK, believe it or not, I actually rolled mafia again, but this time... it's a good thing hehe

Lmao, well hopefully you are because we could do some damage I feel.

42. ISO #42
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by minted snow (#38)

Ok, Risinq is also mafia... nice

43. ISO #43

44. ISO #44
    Timezone
    ive been in this game 2 minutes and ive already found a town

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueKang (#41)
    Quote Originally Posted by arogame123 (#30)

Lmao, well hopefully you are because we could do some damage I feel.
    most definitely

46. ISO #46
    Timezone
    UTC-03:00
    Community
    Everybody Edits → mafiascum → Mafia Universe
    AKA
    Other names users might know you by
  47. ISO #47
    Community
    AoPS
    AKA
    snow turbo acc
    Pronouns
    she/her/her/hers/herself
    Quote Originally Posted by arogame123 (#42)

how am i mafia? why are you accusing me of being mafia? doesn't that mean you have to vote me? why arent you voting me?

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    SMAS

this is actual a serious read btw, I won't let risinq escape that scummy post

49. ISO #49
    Timezone

mafia or mafia?

50. ISO #50
    Timezone
    Community
    nyafiascum

Page 1 of 229 1231151101 ... LastLast