Thread: #10: Village Complacency and Power Villaging (by Monstrman)

1. ISO #1
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    #10: Village Complacency and Power Villaging (by Monstrman)

Article #10: Village Complacency and Power Villaging
    - written by Monstrman

After years of playing this game I've noticed that all too often villagers fall complacent and lynch down their PoE that they only reassess minimally.

Village complacency happens for a number of reasons, most notably because:

1. The village has been winning for a while, or just gained an advantage.
    2. The village is drained from a very long game, losing since the start.
    3. Many villagers have difficulty clearing themselves to other villagers and compromising on their reads, causing a clear lack of village teamwork and leadership.

Village complacency is difficult to deal with, but you can successfully combat it by being proactive and taking a few steps. First and foremost, you need to learn how to Power Village.

Power Villaging is about finding ways to trust people and working with them. Though individual play is important, the village as a whole needs to work together to even the playing field against wolves, who inherently have an informational advantage.

When Power Villaging, it is important to remember these three things:

1. Most people are villagers most of the time.
    2. Suspecting villagers can cause them to question why you suspect them, breeding a lasting mistrust that can lead to village complacency.
    3. Compromising on your reads allows everyone in the village to be satisfied, and allows you to continuously analyze your village core to root out deep wolves (it is important that you do this in your head!)

Power Villaging is actively growing your village core, and working together with each of those villagers to find a compromise of reads that you can all push together. To win against wolves, the village needs to create its own advantages outside of the night phase and they can do that by rigorously lynching among compromised reads outside the village core. This means every player in the core must work together with the other players to ensure that each opinion is made clear to every villager in the core.

It is not enough to find villagers and agree on reads. You and your village teammates need to pursue those reads and actively tag team the players you suspect, much akin to a team of wolves attempting to mislynch a villager. The village must act as a team as well in order to win, and this is more important than any individual player having correct reads. You must interact with each other constantly, as though your thoughts are not only your own, but a collective of all those in your village core. This means that sometimes you have to lynch someone you don't necessarily suspect the most. This is fine, because there is more than one wolf in the game. It will also expand your list of reads because it will require you to think about players in ways your were potentially previously incapable.

I believe Power Villaging is the most effective way to band together as a team and increase overall village win rates, but it is not without flaw. When Power Villaging it is probable that a wolf will penetrate your village core. This is why compromise and interaction are the key factors in Power Villaging because doing so will assist in rooting out those actively working against your team, and show clear resistance or complacency within your core. This means, however, that every villager in the core needs to give as much effort as possible when playing to avoid becoming complacent. The village must decide the agenda to win.

Cliffs:

• Most players are villagers most of the time.
    • The village is a team. You lose and win by working together, not individual skill.
    • Working as a team means compromising in your reads and lynching players that aren't your strongest wolfread. Sometimes this means acquiring reads on players you don't have one on yet.
    • The village needs to put in more effort and do a better job deciding the agenda than the wolves to have a shot.
    • If you follow these rules I'm sure you'll notice a marked increase in your village win rate.

2. ISO #2
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    I agree with the overall message of this article a lot.

However, I'm not sure the message matches the outlined points in all cases.

Suspecting villagers can cause them to question why you suspect them, breeding a lasting mistrust that can lead to village complacency.
    You seem to be insinuating that villagers should be careful about suspecting other potential villagers. If people were always careful like this, the village would never win. You need to be willing to flesh out reads and throw feces at the wall to see if it sticks, etc. It seems like not wanting to stir the pot would exactly lead to village complacency.

Instead, I would want to make the point that players should be increasingly willing to pursue a bunch of reads at all times to create an information-rich environment. I agree that a lot of suspicion can cause rifts between fellow villagers and cause lasting mistrust, but I would instead tell people that this isn't power villaging if they're gonna be like that; They need to accept that this needs to happen to ferret out the wolves.

Power Villaging is actively growing your village core, and working together with each of those villagers to find a compromise of reads that you can all push together.

[...]

This is why compromise and interaction are the key factors in Power Villaging because doing so will assist in rooting out those actively working against your team, and show clear resistance or complacency within your core. This means, however, that every villager in the core needs to give as much effort as possible when playing to avoid becoming complacent.
    The assumption here seems to be that the wolves that have managed to get into the village core can be found out by working against the core or showing complacency. I don't think this is generally the case. If a wolf is inside the core, then they just need to stay inside that core to win the game for their team, so why would they have any interest in shaking the boat? And while they can become complacent because they're already set up well, I still reckon most wolves will continue to put in enough work - which should be easy, because they can freely make cases against anyone outside the core to seem like they're contributing. Once you've established a wolf in a good position and tell him that he just needs to compromise with the others inside the core, the game becomes quite easy for that wolf.

In other words, a wolf finding its way into the village core happens a lot, and I'm curious about what specifically you'd advise to identify those wolves. This is the essential complacency that causes town to lose games, not being able or willing to reconsider reads inside the core.

3. ISO #3
    Timezone
    UTC+14:00
    Community
    People Who Retire
    That's where interaction and compromise comes in

You have to make an effort to understand and work with the villagers in your core, not just clear them

A lot of wolves that get cleared remain cleared because of biases, and sometimes it's difficult to avoid allowing wolves into the core. I didn't necessarily talk about any of these biases that might allow for a wolf to stay in your core because ideally when you're coming in to a thread trying to power village you don't want any of these biases. (Recency Bias - The most recent piece of information is most important, Confirmation Bias - I made this read so now all evidence points to it, Primary Source Bias - This was the first person I trusted so they must be a villager.)

Interaction and compromise also gets every player in the core thinking about all the opinions of all the players in the core, and not just focused on their own individual reads

But if the village keeps effort levels up, continues to question every read that comes from the core in an effort to keep the agenda village driven, and continues to compromise it won't matter if a wolf is in the core because in doing so he has taken away his greatest strength: his ability to work with his own team because you have in effect forced him to work with yours.

I agree on some level that you need to stir the pot but I don't think this starts by suspecting your core, is the main point of the article. I think first and foremost you keep a small group of people you trust the most and make sure all of you decide the agenda for your team, following other cores if necessary in larger games

The village has to build trust, not suspect each other
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 12:45 AM.

4. ISO #4
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Though one specific way to be sure you don't allow your core to become wolf driven:

Be wary of players trying to take control of the core

The core is about working together, not any individual player doing anything alone

5. ISO #5
    Timezone
    UTC±00:00
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#1)
    2. Suspecting villagers can cause them to question why you suspect them, breeding a lasting mistrust that can lead to village complacency.
    My overall response to this is that villagers should just stop doing this. Knowing that you are V and so having the ability to see how other players interact with you is one of your best resources, when someone goes after you then, you should try to differentiate between a player scummily suspecting you and the person townily suspecting you instead of blindly mistrusting the person from thereon out.

For example in my town games on here the first people who have said they have me as a scum read with reasons why [even if I think the reasons are bad] have all been town (unless I'm forgetting something):
    Heroes: mor_tilt (V)
    STD: Knightsofneeee (V)
    Ace Attorney: Frog (V)
    27 Mafia: Sorian (V)
    Silence of the Lambs: Marko (V)
    Hellville: faZ (V)

Someone suspecting you in a game, where you know it is completely reasonable to suspect the other players and then mistrusting them for it is a more major hamper to town ability to co-operate.

I think if you take 1 and 2 together you have the issue of people being reluctant to suspect others due to it possibly alienating a villager which can cause irreparable harm. Really as a villager you should be ok with someone suspecting you for legitimate (by which I mean reasons which even if you don't agree with at least seem to come from a townie perspective) reasons. And if you are the "power villager" you should at minimum try to suspect others in a manner where, if the person is a villager, they won't mistrust you due to you acting rudely or stupidly.

6. ISO #6
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrman (#4)
    Though one specific way to be sure you don't allow your core to become wolf driven:

The core is about working together, not any individual player doing anything alone
    I would probably interpret someone trying to take over the core as a villagery sign, personally, assuming we're talking about someone that was already enjoying the safety of the core.
    Last edited by Thingyman; November 1st, 2016 at 12:59 AM.

7. ISO #7
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#6)

I would probably interpret someone trying to take over the core as a villagery sign, personally, assuming we're talking about someone that was already enjoying the safety of the core.
    I suppose I agree, but a lot of WW is situational. I think we can agree though that 100% of the time people trying to break up or change the agenda of the core from the outside should be viewed with caution
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 01:02 AM.

8. ISO #8
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg (#5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#1)
    My overall response to this is that villagers should just stop doing this. Knowing that you are V and so having the ability to see how other players interact with you is one of your best resources, when someone goes after you then, you should try to differentiate between a player scummily suspecting you and the person townily suspecting you instead of blindly mistrusting the person from thereon out.

For example in my town games on here the first people who have said they have me as a scum read with reasons why [even if I think the reasons are bad] have all been town (unless I'm forgetting something):
    Heroes: mor_tilt (V)
    STD: Knightsofneeee (V)
    Ace Attorney: Frog (V)
    27 Mafia: Sorian (V)
    Silence of the Lambs: Marko (V)
    Hellville: faZ (V)

Someone suspecting you in a game, where you know it is completely reasonable to suspect the other players and then mistrusting them for it is a more major hamper to town ability to co-operate.

I think if you take 1 and 2 together you have the issue of people being reluctant to suspect others due to it possibly alienating a villager which can cause irreparable harm. Really as a villager you should be ok with someone suspecting you for legitimate (by which I mean reasons which even if you don't agree with at least seem to come from a townie perspective) reasons. And if you are the "power villager" you should at minimum try to suspect others in a manner where, if the person is a villager, they won't mistrust you due to you acting rudely or stupidly.
    I absolutely agree, but for the purpose of the core you should probably treat each other as more or less lock clear for the purpose of working as a unit

I think one point of this article that I seem to have miscommunicated is that this is about building your own village team to combat the wolf team, usually a small one to avoid the likelihood of having a wolf in it
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 01:05 AM.

9. ISO #9
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    ^and I mean lock clear in the sense that if you suspect each other you hold off on voicing it until later in the game

If your core starts rapidly lynching wolves, it's probably all villagers

10. ISO #10
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Also an addendum for anyone who would be a villager that isn't necessarily in the core:

Sometimes what appears to be a village core is just power wolfing. You can easily make the difference much more apparent by constantly sharing your opinions with the people in the core, directly and to each player individually

If the core unanimously decides a player deserves to be in/out of the core then it's that player's choice to join/the person is kicked out.
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 01:17 AM.

11. ISO #11
    Timezone
    I think an issue also to think about is that even if you have small teams all of whom have cleared each other, some of the gains from co-operating on who to lynch and so on may be lessened by the reduction in opposing views as these teams start suffering from groupthink.

12. ISO #12
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Group think and bandwagon mentality are dangerous, but I think it's the most optimal way to handle d1-d3 because it ensures that a small group of players unlikely to be wolves are deciding the agenda for the entire village

Admittedly, I don't believe everyone in a thread should play the game the exact same way because it makes it easier for wolves to blend in, but I think building a village core and working together with them to proactively decide the agenda is a fantastic starting point, and is especially helpful for players that have trouble making reads d1
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 01:29 AM.

13. ISO #13
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    It also poses a much bigger threat to the wolves early game because if you have a small core of four villagers that all vote one wolf d1 power wolfing becomes that much more difficult
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 01:22 AM.

14. ISO #14
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    I mean, the biggest example I can think of is heroes mash d1

The agenda of the village was decided by the wolves and the village was set on v/v/v/v/v/v/v/v/v wagons, believing there was no other option because the wolves as a team were placing votes on wagons and trying to direct mislynches

By creating a village core and directing village votes, you combat this advantage the wolves have by giving it to yourself, even if it is a less informed version

15. ISO #15
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    In threads with weaker wolf teams it is even easier because the wolves will often allow you to decide the agenda for the village out of fear

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    In Heroes though you could say Monte, Lissa and Frog would technically qualify as a core (and a very strong one as well) and I'm not sure they would have led a W lynch D1 either even if they all had town read each other and co-operated.

Also I think you'll find it was V/V/V/V/V/V/W thank you very much.

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    No, but if they had cooperated and compromised instead of all only paying attention to their own reads I guarantee you Ace is never lynched

18. ISO #18
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    The whole village was in disarray d1

19. ISO #19
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    D1 was really weird in retrospect

20. ISO #20
    Timezone
    True, but from memory the most consistently town read people that day were: Monte, Kaze, bopolis, Mr. Smee, Adrian and npstr.

And I think myself, JAMES MCCLOUD, you and mor_tilt were on the tier below but got more overly town read the following days.

Basically even if that town core (of which 1/3 was non-town players) formed up I think we were screwed in Heroes.

21. ISO #21
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Maybe but it would have been a lot scarier for us wolves if you guys were a team and that might have forced us to play differently

22. ISO #22
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    All it takes to pick apart wolf teams is one wolf wagoned by dedicated villagers

After that wolf flips it gets bleak for the wolves quickly
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 02:01 AM.

23. ISO #23
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    I mean after onuzq was flipped immediately like 4-5 wolves hit the PoE

24. ISO #24
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    I think the way @Sooh played the onuzq wagon is a perfect example of how you should approach deciding the village agenda btw

She spoke to players individually, making it very clear that she wanted to decide the agenda for the village and that she needed their help to do so.

She tried to build a team to get onuzq lynched and it almost worked. In my opinion, it ultimately failed because she was the only one strongly attempting to get the village to work as a team. Everyone else was more intent on their own vote
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 02:27 AM.

25. ISO #25
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    I mean, also power wolfing

But sooh made that day very awkward for the whole wolfteam
    Last edited by Monstrman; November 1st, 2016 at 02:15 AM.

26. ISO #26
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Specifically how she approached me was brilliant because she basically put me in a position where if I voted anyone but onuzq I was immediately outed with his flip

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    I think I agree to that. If people had done that kind of thing more then people may have been dissuaded from bad ideas earlier on which had distracted the thread and led to poor decisions (for example the JAMES MCCLOUD is Lone Wolf theory which somehow attracted about 15% of the town support). I think people got caught up in those type of things especially as only those in support of the idea tend to bring it up making it look like it has more support and is more sensible than it actually is.

Asking those who you have a town read on who aren't going with your case can at least potentially dissuade you from making a big mistake.

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg (#27)
    If people had done that kind of thing more then people may have been dissuaded from bad ideas earlier on which had distracted the thread and led to poor decisions (for example the JAMES MCCLOUD is Lone Wolf theory which somehow attracted about 15% of the town support). I think people got caught up in those type of things especially as only those in support of the idea tend to bring it up making it look like it has more support and is more sensible than it actually is.
    Absolutely. Especially in ww people have a tendency to see something being supported in the thread and immediately assume it has credible reasons for support

This is also a bias, and it is exploitable (the wolves were capable of pushing both Chrja and James from it)

Ultimately step 1 of power villaging is critical thinking at an individual level and increasing effort as the game continues (or at the least keeping the same level of effort from start to finish)

29. ISO #29
    CEO of Storp Industries Apoc's Avatar Game Manager

In my (relatively short) experience. There is always a leader, that person will die the following night and a new leader will step up.

Can't say i've ever noticed someone trying to take over, but often someone will think they are a town leader when they havent earned it (i.e. they aren't clear yet).

You just tell them to shhh and move on. They are usually villas.

30. ISO #30
    Timezone
    Community
    People Who Retire
    A savvy villager could argue in that case the simple act of attempting to lead is clearing in and of itself, and therefore gives them a right to have their opinion taken seriously

31. ISO #31
    CEO of Storp Industries Apoc's Avatar Game Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrman (#30)
    A savvy villager could argue in that case the simple act of attempting to lead is clearing in and of itself, and therefore gives them a right to have their opinion taken seriously
    Ya but in my example they are competing with peeked villagers or players who have ITA'd multiple wolves.

Being villagey not enough!
    Last edited by Apoc; November 1st, 2016 at 01:31 PM.

32. ISO #32
    Community
    PilkarskieForum
    I think a very frequent source of misstrust amongst townies is the lack of calmness and faith in townies' own individual reads. I very often come across people who:
    1. start panicking when they see a misslynch and they soon start doubting their reads. They think they were tricked and make the thread toxic.
    For example when there's a poe which few capable townies constructed and sometimes it even has all the wolves inside it but the first 2 guys you lynch in that poe are town, you probably won't get the job done because people will turn against your poe very soon.
    2. very quickly stop trusting other townies. Even though the person they trusted created plenty of towny content and is supertowny, if that person writes something considered wolfy or leads a town to a misslynch, they stop trusting that person. Maybe the advice here should be to look at the big picture, if a guy has been towny for 98% of the game and said or did something very weird/wolfy/stupid then he's still probably just a townie who had a poor moment in his game. Depends on the player of course but in general that is the case imo.

I think the problem is that people are afraid to read each other town and stick with their reads especially when nothing major happened that should make them changer their minds. If village wants to win, they have to take leaps of faith and not be afraid to make mistakes early on. I personally often happen to townread a wolf d1 and sometimes it doesn't even lead to anything bad, the wolf will want to stay amongst your townreads so he will play in a way not to make you suspicious and will sometimes even help you lynch other wolves. Amazing things can happen when you play mafia.
    Last edited by Klopp; November 2nd, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

33. ISO #33
    Community
    Smashboards
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman (#2)
    In other words, a wolf finding its way into the village core happens a lot, and I'm curious about what specifically you'd advise to identify those wolves. This is the essential complacency that causes town to lose games, not being able or willing to reconsider reads inside the core.
    Don't be confident in your reads, is what I would say. Be willing to call out a town read out for questionable stuff. I know in a game on Mafia Scum I played long ago, one of the town bloc members was defended by a top player and well, she won for that very reason. I say, work together first, and after working together, re-evaluate how the town bloc is doing, and maybe talk it over with the town bloc or something? Maybe have someone else replace the questionable person in the bloc because if you just attack the person and don't replace then you'll lose that system I feel.