Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien

1. ISO #1
    Ruler of the Universe Thingyman's Avatar Administrator
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Last edited by Thingyman; October 19th, 2015 at 01:53 AM.

2. ISO #2
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF THEM ALL
    NEVER talk about this game with other players outside of this game thread, UNLESS your role PM gives you explicit permission to do so (i.e. if you are part of a mafia or third party team or a masonry).

So this means that you are NOT allowed to send someone even seemingly innocuous messages such as “Wow, this <insert player name> is pretty wacky, huh?”, “this Alien game is pretty fun” or “I’m so busy right now, which is why I’m barely even posting in the game”.

If another player references the game to you outside of the game thread, you need to inform me of this ASAP!

MORE IMPORTANT RULES
    • Once again, only post/talk about the game in this thread. Don't PM other players, unless your role PM allows this. Also, don't post anything about the game in other threads or on other forums.
    • Don't try to use the form of your role PM. So quoting or screenshotting your role PM would be cheating. As would discussing the time stamp of your PM.
    • When the thread is open and the Game Host has announced DAY you can post in it. But only as long as you are a live player. No deadposting, please.
    • Breadcrumbing is allowed. Secret codes requiring keys or anything resembling that is NOT allowed.
    • This is a game of lying. Players are expected to lie. No statement or promise a player makes within the game has any force outside the game. As an example, a bet offered in a game is not something you can collect if you win.
    • If I believe you to bending the rules intentionally in a way that clearly goes against the spirit of the rules and the game, then that would also be grounds for modkill. Do not try to get fancy or angly with the rules, please.
    • If you have any questions about rules, send a PM to this account. I'd be happy to help. You should not be asking the Game Host questions in the thread and neither should you ever refer to private communications with me
    • No hydra'ing / multi-accounting is allowed. Do not share your account with anyone else.
    • Treat your fellow players with respect. Hostility will not be tolerated.?
    • No editing or deleting posts.

Refer to this post for the complete, standard ruleset for mafia games.

LYNCH RULES
    Each game day has a set deadline for when the voting ends. The player with the most votes at the deadline is lynched.

IMPORTANT: When there are 11 players or less remaining in the game, it will be possible to end the day early by reaching a majority of votes on a player. I.e. if there are 7 people left, then 4 votes on someone will end the day immediately, and it's VERY important that everyone stops posting when this happens, even if the Game Host is not around to call it.

If there is a tie between two or more players, then the Modbot will automatically randomize the lynch between the tied players.

No lynch is a valid vote.

GAME SCHEDULE
    Deadlines will be 8 PM EST/8 AM EST - with 36/12 phases. This means:

Day 1 will begin on Wednesday, October 7 at 8:00 AM EST, and night will fall on Thursday, October 8 at 8:00 PM EST.

Day 2 will begin on Friday, October 9 at 8:00 AM EST, and night will fall on Saturday, October 10 at 8:00 PM EST.

Day 3 will begin on Sunday, October 11 at 8:00 AM EST, and night will fall on Monday, October 12 at 8:00 PM EST.

And so on.

3. ISO #3
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

CHARACTER AND ROLE CLAIMING
    Only power roles will receive named characters in their role PM's. Anyone in the game (power role or not) may claim a character and a role freely.

The mafia team has been provided with some safe character names to claim.

There may be characters from all or only some or only one of the movies from the Alien franchise. I made a list of 30 character names and I randomized which were given as the names for the power roles and which were given as the mafia's fake claims, so that you cannot evaluate a claim solely on a character name.

You may still NOT quote your role PM, as per the usual rules. General paraphrasing is fine.

EXAMPLE ROLE PM’S
    This is an example of how the Vanilla Townie role PM looks like:

Alien

Hi [insert player name], you are a Human Crew Member.

Your role is Vanilla Townie. You are aligned with the Human Crew Members (Town), and you win by eliminating all threats to your team.

Find the game thread here: http://www.mafiauniverse.net/threads/518-Alien

This is an example of how a role PM may look like for a town power role:

Alien

Hi [insert player name], you are Kane:

Your role is Watcher. Each night, you may target a player and learn who, if anybody, targeted that player that same night. You will not learn which action(s) they were targeted with though.

You are aligned with the Human Crew Members (Town), and you win by eliminating all threats to your team.

Find the game thread here: http://www.mafiauniverse.net/threads/518-Alien

ORDER OF OPERATIONS
    This is the order of operations for this game:

Hiding/commuting
    Strongman killing
    Absorbing
    Bus driving
    Blocking/jailkeeping
    Redirecting/randomizing
    Protecting
    Miscellaneous
    Killing
    Investigating/tracking/watching

This does not necessarily mean that the setup features roles from all levels of this order.

Also, note that any teams/factions (such as the mafia) do NOT assign their nightly kill to a single player and the team kill can therefore not be blocked, tracked or watched, not even if there is only one player remaining on the team.

If the game features roleblocking powers, roleblocked players will be informed that their "Night action failed" in those exact words, assuming that they would usually otherwise receive some sort of result (to an investigation, for example).

EXTRA INFORMATION
    This is a closed setup, which means that you don’t know which roles or mechanics are in the game. However, I will inform you of this:

• There are no conversion mechanics. Everyone will remain the alignment that they started the game as.
    • There are no revival mechanics. When a player dies, they are dead for good.
    • There are no roles that will affect the lynch or people's votes. The vote count at the end of each day can always be trusted as the actual final result.
    • Players' true and full roles will always be revealed upon death.
    Last edited by Thingyman; October 7th, 2015 at 05:17 AM.

4. ISO #4
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

VOTING FOR SOMEONE
    Vote for someone by using the vote tags: [ v ]Thingyman[ /v ]. This will give you this:

##Vote Thingyman

Make sure that you spell out the full, correct name. Abbreviations or misspelled names will not be registered by the Modbot.

To unvote, use the tags: [ UNV][ /UNV]. When unvoting you do not need to enter the name of the person that you are unvoting.

You can also quickly vote someone by clicking on the box with a check mark icon, which will bring up an alphabetized dropdown containing the names of living players:

CALLING UP A VOTECOUNT
    Votecounts will appear automatically at various intervals, but you can also call up votecounts yourself by following these steps:

First, you need to apply to join "Mafia Game Hosts" under Permission Groups.

Second, once your request has been approved, you will be able to call up votecounts by simply pushing the "Post Votecount" button in the top right corner of any game thread that you'd like an updated votecount for.

This will give you a votecount like this one:

Note that below every votecount there is a live updating countdown to the end of the current phase, which can also be found in the subforum view or next to the title at the top of game threads.

Please don't spam votecounts -- if you do, we'll be forced to remove you from the "Mafia Game Hosts" permission group.

VIEWING VOTE HISTORY
    There are three ways to access the vote history for any game.

1) Click on the "Vote History" button in the top right corner of the game thread:

2) Click on the "View Vote History" link, which accompanies all votecounts:

3) Click on Modbot in the top forum menu. This will give you a list of ongoing and completed games:

Next, simply click on "Vote History" to view all votes for that game.

Following any of the above three steps will bring you to an overview like this one:

Click on a Voter's username to view all of the votes by their slot.

Click on a Target's username to view all of the votes for their slot.

ISOLATING A PLAYER’S POSTS
    If you wish to read a player’s posts in isolation, simply click on “ISO” in the top right corner of one of that player’s posts in the relevant thread as illustrated here:

Alternatively, you can access a player’s posts in isolation by clicking on the number next to “Replies:” in the forum lobby.

Doing so will pull up a window listing the post counts for everyone who has posted in that thread. You access someone’s posts in isolation by simply clicking on the number next to “Posts:” for that person.

The ISO view itself has Quote and Multi-Quote buttons inside it, which will make it very easy to quickly quote a lot of a player's posts for analysis or commentary:

MULTI-QUOTING WHILE THREAD IS LOCKED

Note that you can multi-quote posts from even locked game threads. This is useful for when you wish to reread the game and do work during night phases.

After quoting the relevant posts, you simply open a different, opened thread and press "Go Advanced". Then add the quotes to your post by clicking the prompt below the post area as shown here:

Now, of course you can't post your work in the game thread while the thread is locked, but you can copy paste and save your work to a local file or the cloud and have it ready to post the very next day phase (if you're still alive, that is).

PRIVATE THREADS
    The forum features custom-made threads for the purposes of private communication, in case you have a role that allows communication outside of the game thread. You can read more about how these work from a Game Host perspective here, but as a player, all you need to know is this: To view a private thread, you both need to receive permission to view it AND you need the link to the thread (which the Game Host will send to you in a PM).

In other words, there’s no way for any unauthorized player to ever be able to view your posts in a private thread. Your post count won’t go up if you make posts here, your posts won’t be searchable in any way, and the subforum will never show anyone as viewing it.

Also, to make sure that you don’t mistakenly post in a game thread, when you were meaning to post in a private thread, the skin for the private thread subforum will always be set to Green Metro.
    Last edited by Thingyman; October 10th, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

5. ISO #5
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

You find yourselves onboard the commercial spacecraft Nostromo. With all crew members in stasis, the spacecraft was originally on a return trip to Earth, until you were all awoken by a mysterious signal, coming from the surface of an uncharted planet.

The ship's computer, MOTHER, decides that you must look into the possible distress signal, and so you send down a team to investigate.

It turns out that the signal is coming from a derelict alien spacecraft. Inside, you find the remains of a large alien creature whose ribcage appears to have exploded from the inside. Hmm...

You check in with MOTHER. There isn't any relevant data pertaining to whatever this large alien creature could be. You are anxious to get back to the ship, but you must first complete your sweep.

Finally, you stumble upon a huge chamber containing hundreds of eggs. Now, this is interesting - maybe some of these should be taken back to the ship.

---

In space, no one can hear you scream.

6. ISO #6
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2

7. ISO #7
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    Alien Day 1 Votecount

Votes Target Voters (Posts in Phase)
    23 Not voting stormslyde (0), Stevedotdec (0), Snowvon (0), SlipperyAXII (0), TehBankertin (0), The Sun Fan (0), Zocide (0), Weatherguy (0), VisceraEyes (0), TunakShakur (0), ShadoNinjaX (0), ljtrigirl (0), bstee (0), BATMAN (0), Baramur (0), Adam (0), Citreus (0), Cobalt (0), Kango42 (0), MafiaJoey (0), fontisian (0), Daelin (0), 27ninjabunnies (0)

View Vote History

Day 1 ends at 8:00 PM EDT on Thursday, October 8th, 2015. There are 1444348860000 remaining.

8. ISO #8
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Each day I'll be running an event. Today's is special, as it will begin the bloodshed in a glorious way.

You'll all be competing for a prize!
    (brought to you in part by:
    Tunak!
    )

To win, simply convince me you're at least 20% more likely to be a wolf than Tunak.

Prizes include:
    1 vote, which by the end of this post will belong to Tunak.
    1 hour of my time EoD, dedicated solely to your contributions to the game!
    1-21 (22?!) extra votes, depending on the supply.
    1 role-flip, personalized by the mod, styled to your very own role!
    More free time!

##Vote TunakShakur

9. ISO #9
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Can't call a vote count pending a group permission BibleThump

Where my Europeans at?

10. ISO #10
    Community
    Mafia Universe
    Alien Day 1 Votecount

Votes Target Voters (Posts in Phase)
    1 TunakShakur Adam (2)
    22 Not voting stormslyde (0), Stevedotdec (0), Snowvon (0), SlipperyAXII (0), TehBankertin (0), The Sun Fan (0), Zocide (0), Weatherguy (0), VisceraEyes (0), TunakShakur (0), ShadoNinjaX (0), ljtrigirl (0), Citreus (0), bstee (0), BATMAN (0), Baramur (0), Cobalt (0), Daelin (0), Kango42 (0), MafiaJoey (0), fontisian (0), 27ninjabunnies (0)

View Vote History

Day 1 ends at 8:00 PM EDT on Thursday, October 8th, 2015. There are 1444348860000 remaining.

11. ISO #11
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Adam, best town all-time, defender of plebs, remover of mafia from town circles, bringer of vote counts,

lonely in-thread

12. ISO #12
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    The glories of a 36-hour game day

13. ISO #13
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Paging @Stork - pls sub sooner rather than later

14. ISO #14
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    I'll tell you all a little about myself, then.

I'll be gone basically all of today

I have a concert to attend Friday evening

I may try to make plans to meet with LT this week(end)

I have the MTG mash starting next week if the medic (doctor) can (self-)save me repeating night and we don't win by then

Maybe more timing things

I'm experimenting with spacing in forum mafia

15. ISO #15
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    I know that each refresh is increasingly likely to bring a living, breathing, potentially thinking player to the thread, but I don't feel comforted by the results

16. ISO #16
    Timezone
    UTC-05:00
    Community
    Dailymafia
    Hey Adam, stepped out of work to check thread. Surprised there isn't more activity. Don't understand your opening post and skipped the rest because it was probably fluff.

Happy to be town this game my wolfing games have given me insight to what wolves sound like so hopefully it improves my villa game. Be off work in about 4 hours and then I'll post a bit before sleep.

Adam you are in charge of giving me the tl;dr when I get back

17. ISO #17
    Timezone
    Community
    Dailymafia
    Ok read the rest of your posts.

You should really post your slank in the sign up thread so it looks a bit less scummy in game. Seem like legit excuses though

18. ISO #18
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Game days are literally never-ending. There can be no slank; there will be dead periods.

19. ISO #19
    Banned

Timezone
    Community
    2+2 POG/ MU / DM
    AKA
    BATM!
    Batman is here!

20. ISO #20
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Batman, the last two times I've seen you, you posted 20 times then died as a neutral and you failed to get a spot game two in all-stars. Will you be more impressive this time? What does "PTP" stand for in your community tag, and who do you expect to lynch today

21. ISO #21
    Banned

Timezone
    Community
    2+2 POG/ MU / DM
    AKA
    BATM!

Let's play

22. ISO #22
    Banned

Timezone
    Community
    2+2 POG/ MU / DM
    AKA
    BATM!
    I made it deep as the NSK. Wolves got rolled over, I couldn't won on a mass claim.
    I never failed to impress.
    Idk who I want to lunch yet

23. ISO #23
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2
    Good luck, friends. I hope to be back later tonight. Let's aim for mash-like post counts

24. ISO #24
    Community
    DailyMafia / 2+2

I'll be listening to this in the car. You can listen to it while mafiaing

25. ISO #25
    Community
    DailyMafia
    I'm happy I don't have to slog through hundreds of posts already.

So what are the odds that there actually is a watcher in this setup. I'm going with like 70%.

26. ISO #26
    Community
    DailyMafia
    I'm creating virtual networks so I'll be intensely staring at this thread for hours.

27. ISO #27
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    yo whatup. just got caught up on thread, about to leave for class. ill be checking in regularly. probably gonna get tapatalk up and running. only thing to note so far is that adam is quite eager to get the game rolling which seems fairly towny right now

28. ISO #28
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    i know ive played with most of you in some way or another, but i dont recognize all of you. Ill ask this question as people i dont recognize enter the thread, Bstee have we played together on forum or video?

29. ISO #29
    Timezone
    Community
    DLP & MTGS

I am ready to EXTERMINATE ALIENS, also to not understand references to past games and inside jokes and junk.

##Vote fontisian

30. ISO #30
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    Slight fluff post: I can't sleep despite trying really hard to do so. Hi Adam. Hi Weatherguy. Hi Batman. Hi bstee. Hi stormslyde. I hope you are all doing well today. I'm excited for the flurry of posting I am expecting you will all manage to do. Everyone else who hasn't posted yet Hi as well.

I am doing no cute gimmicks for names this game which makes me a tiny bit sad inside.

31. ISO #31
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    @Snowvon you are fonti's friend von I assume

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

32. ISO #32
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    Steve is probably an Alien though.. Get em. ##Vote Stevedotdec

33. ISO #33
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    Quote Originally Posted by stormslyde View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    @Snowvon is @fontisian's number one fan and witch associate in training.

34. ISO #34
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    i think i played with him on DM, theyve hydraed before right?

35. ISO #35
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    lets place bets on what day banks is lynched/killed. im going with d3/n2

36. ISO #36
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    @Adam how different is this forum from 2+2? same question to anyone else who has played a few games on both

37. ISO #37
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    whats the point in bringing my laptop to class when the thread is dead? now how am i supposed to distract myself from learning?

38. ISO #38
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    whats the point in bringing my laptop to class when the thread is dead? now how am i supposed to distract myself from learning?
    Learning is important. This isn't a huge mishmash of players so the sheer volume of posts will be missing from the game which combined with longer days means people are going to be in and out as their schedule permits. I like the big games personally. However I'm never going to over commit again as I've LEARNED my LESSON about being in multiple games at once.

39. ISO #39
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    He's been in the background and has played before but I can't remember him hydraing with the queen of trickery before. I'm old though and my memory isn't what it once was.

40. ISO #40
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyAXII View Post
    Learning is important. This isn't a huge mishmash of players so the sheer volume of posts will be missing from the game which combined with longer days means people are going to be in and out as their schedule permits. I like the big games personally. However I'm never going to over commit again as I've LEARNED my LESSON about being in multiple games at once.
    yeah, i cant handle multiple games at the same time. im just waiting for people to come interact with me.

41. ISO #41
    Community
    PokerNet / 2+2
    Question: Were there night 0 actions aka pregame actions?

Answer: You do not know.

42. ISO #42
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    Quote Originally Posted by bstee View Post
    I'm creating virtual networks so I'll be intensely staring at this thread for hours.
    Have you made any keen observations yet ? I think @stormslyde is looking for interesting things to happen to distract him from acquiring a Higher Education is all I've learned so far.

43. ISO #43
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    He's been in the background and has played before but I can't remember him hydraing with the queen of trickery before. I'm old though and my memory isn't what it once was.
    lol, yeah i know who he is then. any other people with slightly different names?

44. ISO #44
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    Have you made any keen observations yet ? I think @stormslyde is looking for interesting things to happen to distract him from acquiring a Higher Education is all I've learned so far.
    soon my senpai, soon. slip, any thoughts on adam? i cant tell if hes genuinely interested in getting the ball rolling or just talking out his $%#! cause no one was here

45. ISO #45
    Timezone
    Community
    DailyMafia
    i get the feeling that my 300 post goal is going to be very much out of reach

46. ISO #46
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    soon my senpai, soon. slip, any thoughts on adam? i cant tell if hes genuinely interested in getting the ball rolling or just talking out his $%#! cause no one was here
    Why not pick both answers then because I think both are most likely true. I need people to be posting in here so I can analyze them and determine their alignment. Also I have more fun when more people are here to interact with. I haven't played any forum mafia with I want to say more than half the people in the list so I'm not sure what they will be like.

I might go back to sleep or take a shower.

47. ISO #47
    Community
    DailyMafia
    I've learned that I should have gotten more sleep last night. I think stormslyde is more likely town, as a wolfalienmafia I think you just take full advantage of your school time (non-scummy downtime) to slack and plan rather than continue actively posting. Popping in a bunch and posting throughout (excitedly) seems towny to me.

48. ISO #48
    Timezone
    Community
    DLP & MTGS
    Yes.

I've hydra'd with her a couple times. Now I'm going to try to kill her, maybe!

Steve is probably an Alien though.. Get em. ##Vote Stevedotdec
    You leave Steve alone.

49. ISO #49
    Community
    DailyMafia
    Also I treat the disappointment in how quiet it is as bored looking for mental exercise and finding none because of lack of posts.

50. ISO #50
    Community
    Daily Mafia, Mini Mafia
    AKA
    AlloyIV
    lol, yeah i know who he is then. any other people with slightly different names?
    I have no idea who @ShadoNinjaX is which will be interesting. @The Sun Fan is a mystery but his disheveled hair is attractive enough I suppose. Everyone else is a known entity or should be easy enough to figure except for that guy @27ninjabunnies.